BT Development Mentor Program Archives » jsiegs and slornow's Train Hard and Have Fun group - CLOSED for Training Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 56

2011-08-03 9:46 AM
in reply to: #3435676

User image

Veteran
Oak Park
Subject: RE: jsiegs and slornow's Train Hard and Have Fun group - CLOSED for Training

I'd like to pose a "fun" question to the group: What's your favorite race you've ever done and why? 

Mine would probably be the US Women's Series Naperville Sprint Distance Triathlon. I did it for 2 years and I loved it both times. It was the first triathlon I ever did. I like that it's all women, the swim is not intimidating, and there are loads of spectators on the course to cheer you on. Plus, my family usually comes out to cheer and we go to a big breakfast after. Fun for everyone. I also find it really inspiring that it is usually the first time doing a triathlon for many of the women there.

2011-08-03 10:04 AM
in reply to: #3627027

User image

Master
South Alabama
Subject: RE: jsiegs and slornow's Train Hard and Have Fun group - CLOSED for Training
nmladic - 2011-08-03 9:46 AM

I'd like to pose a "fun" question to the group: What's your favorite race you've ever done and why? 

Mine would probably be the US Women's Series Naperville Sprint Distance Triathlon. I did it for 2 years and I loved it both times. It was the first triathlon I ever did. I like that it's all women, the swim is not intimidating, and there are loads of spectators on the course to cheer you on. Plus, my family usually comes out to cheer and we go to a big breakfast after. Fun for everyone. I also find it really inspiring that it is usually the first time doing a triathlon for many of the women there.

Nicole-good question/topic.  I'm going to have to think on this a little.  I probably have a favorite in terms of best result and another in terms of it being fun.  Will get back to you..anxious to hear what everyone has to say.

Randy 
2011-08-03 10:07 AM
in reply to: #3626964

User image

Master
South Alabama
Savage8778 - 2011-08-03 9:12 AM Impressive run, Randy. I have found it is definitely hard to run a decent pace in this oppressive heat the Southeast and abroad have been experiencing. I did a quick-paced 30 minute run yesterday morning, and felt like I had a good pace going (thinking I was around my 'excellent' pace of 7:30-8:00), I look down and I am at 9:09...GRRRR. My run ended up being closer to 40 minutes, but I felt strong the entire time. I am off to enjoy my 'day off' (from work) and get in a 2 hour bike ride. Chose to sleep in a bit (a rarity it seems for triathletes), and now I will pay my dues for doing so on this bike ride as the heat index is near 100. Fun times.

Nick-agree!  Its is just a different world running in the Summer as compared to the rest of the year.  I find that my HR is a good 10-12 bpm faster at my easy run pace in the heat as compared to the more temperate times of year.  Makes a huge difference in a triathlon where you have already done a swim/bike.  Trying to learn to adjust my expectations for the run leg when heat is a factor.

Keep up the good training...you will do great at Augusta.

Randy  
2011-08-03 10:42 AM
in reply to: #3627027

User image

Extreme Veteran
Edmonds

Fun.  I think mine would be the Danskin Women's Tri in Seattle.  It was my second ever race.  It was HUGE.  Like 3000 women.  And everyone was so supportive.  They had people in the water with noodles and floats to help those who were not good swimmers.  Fun stuff like that.  Would have been really annoying if I was trying to "race", but I thought it was cool.  My mom was visiting so she got to see me.  That made it nice too.

Christy

2011-08-03 12:05 PM

User image

Regular
Carmichael
My favorite race has to be the Aquaman Dualthlon. Its a run, swim, run format and it takes place on a friday evening towards the end of the summer. The first run is 2 miles and is always hot, but then you get to hop in the river and swim about a 1/2 mile downriver and hop out and run 3 more miles. Both runs are out and backs so you can see where your competition is at. They have great food, music, and awards after the race is over as well. Just a really fun atmosphere to race in as it is usually the end of the race season and everybody is there to just have a fun time. It also helped that I got first in my age group last year and 12th overall, my best result so far.
2011-08-03 12:10 PM
in reply to: #3627148

User image

Veteran
Oak Park
cbrookhart - 2011-08-03 10:42 AM 

Fun.  I think mine would be the Danskin Women's Tri in Seattle.  It was my second ever race.  It was HUGE.  Like 3000 women.  And everyone was so supportive.  They had people in the water with noodles and floats to help those who were not good swimmers.  Fun stuff like that.  Would have been really annoying if I was trying to "race", but I thought it was cool.  My mom was visiting so she got to see me.  That made it nice too.

Christy

I have heard the Danskin tri series is great. We have one nearby in Pleasant Prairie, WI, that I have yet to do but it's always on my list when the year starts. I have a feeling I might do it next year. Good to know you liked it too!

2011-08-03 10:18 PM
in reply to: #3627148

User image

Veteran
Katy, TX
cbrookhart - 2011-08-03 10:42 AM

Christy

I too have heard this is a great race! I might have to check it out sometime - I think the closest one to me is in Austin. sounds like a road trip

I have nothing to compare races too... so I will go with the TriGirl races! I'm doing the same one on the 14th, a little longer distance. I'm part of a facebook forum group for them, and let me tell you... I have met some AWESOME women on there. The race itself is very well organized, and the race director is super cool.she gives so much support and information since her race is 'first-timer friendly'. she holds clinics and offers tips etc. I'm forever a huge TriGirl fan

2011-08-03 10:28 PM
in reply to: #3628184

User image

Veteran
Katy, TX

I did a two-a-day today. I went for a nice steamy run this morning, even in this ridiculous heat advisory we are under. this evening I met with a couple people for an OWS. It was great to get out there and help a friend with some pointers. she is very intimidated by my swimming (*blush*) but I think by the end of the swim she felt more confident. I love to help people swim

I got a feel for what headwinds in the water feels like, lol! It was super windy, which made it hard to stay in line with my focus point, and to swim in general. The water was pushing against me, it was weird.

2011-08-04 6:59 AM

User image

Master
Baltimore

Sorry for the MIA-ness.  I'm not used to putting in OT at work, but I'll be crazy here until my wedding (and not at my compy to read up on BT).  Also, did anyone know how hard it is to do table settings when one family is divorced and one parent is remarried?!?!?!  Holy Charlie Foxtrot!  About 5 hours later, I think we're set though.  Unfortunately, this means training has suffered quite a bit recently.  Plus I worked a trade with a BTer for my saddle for his and my is missing that essential part for the next few days.

On the plus side, my batchelor festivities are gearing up .  This weekend I'll be going out to get *ahem* some adult beverages...oh why hide it...I'll be going out and pretending I'm a college freshman again.  A bunch of friends are coming, but nothing special, just hitting some bars.  Next weekend, a few of my close friends and I are headed out to WV and my BM has rented a cabin for the weekend.  A few of us bike, so I'll be bringing that, plus there's a river, shooting range, fire pit and some other stuff out there I haven't heard about yet.  Lots of Man stuff going on, wilderness, guns, rivers, fine Scotches and Burbons, fire...I'm pretty excited.

2011-08-04 7:18 AM
in reply to: #3628369

User image

Extreme Veteran
Edmonds
jsiegs - 2011-08-04 6:59 AM

Sorry for the MIA-ness.  I'm not used to putting in OT at work, but I'll be crazy here until my wedding (and not at my compy to read up on BT).  Also, did anyone know how hard it is to do table settings when one family is divorced and one parent is remarried?!?!?!  Holy Charlie Foxtrot!  About 5 hours later, I think we're set though.  Unfortunately, this means training has suffered quite a bit recently.  Plus I worked a trade with a BTer for my saddle for his and my is missing that essential part for the next few days.

On the plus side, my batchelor festivities are gearing up .  This weekend I'll be going out to get *ahem* some adult beverages...oh why hide it...I'll be going out and pretending I'm a college freshman again.  A bunch of friends are coming, but nothing special, just hitting some bars.  Next weekend, a few of my close friends and I are headed out to WV and my BM has rented a cabin for the weekend.  A few of us bike, so I'll be bringing that, plus there's a river, shooting range, fire pit and some other stuff out there I haven't heard about yet.  Lots of Man stuff going on, wilderness, guns, rivers, fine Scotches and Burbons, fire...I'm pretty excited.

My wedding was a mess.  We had my mom, her boyfriend, my step father (no longer married to my mom), my dad (who ended up not coming), my father in law, mother in law and my mother in law's new husband.  We had several spreadsheets  

Have a great weekend!  Be careful in WV.  Watch out for the mountain men and moonshine.

Christy

2011-08-04 8:48 AM
in reply to: #3628387

User image

Master
South Alabama
Joe-welcome back!  Best advice I can give about pre-wedding festivities is to make sure that any scars/injuries you may get during the fun will heal prior to the blissful day of your wedding or can be covered with makeup.  I had a small low key wedding and nothing wild in terms of bachelor parties but have been involved in several.  Worst situation was I was in the wedding of a buddy and the night before we went out, got back to the hotel late, not fully coherent and dragged the passed out groom down the hall of the hotel and deposited him in his room.  Next morning groom shows up at breakfast and has a big rug burn on his forehead and cheek.....apparently hotel carpeting does that to skin.  Moral of the story.....dont do anything stupid and if you pass out make sure your friends are smarter than mine!

Oh, and since you are going to WVA you may want to pick up the Deliverance board game...I hear its a great way for a group of guys to spend some time together.  Do I hear banjoes??

Randy  

2011-08-04 2:14 PM

User image

Master
South Alabama
Getting back to Nicole's topic of favorite race.

Tough call for me.  I think I will go with our local sprint race "The Grandman"...named after the Marriott Grand Hotel in Point Clear, Alabama which is always a big sponsor.  Race begins and ends at the Fairhope Municipal Pier about 2 miles from my house.  It was my first race 2+ years ago but I would say the race this past June was my favorite.  Well organized with good food and refreshments, lots of people I know and family was able to come out and watch.  This year I came in almost 5 minutes under my goal time so I was pleased with that.  Missed the podium for my AG but overall had a good race and alot of fun. Its nice to be able to race, enjoy the festivities and only be 5 minutes from home. 

I really enjoyed doing the USAT Olympic AG Nationals in Tuscaloosa, Alabama last September. I was thrilled just to have qualified but admittedly intimidated by the quality of the athletes there.  I had a decent race but really enjoyed being part of such a "big" event.  Especially enjoyed watching some of the older age groups..you would not believe the speed of some of the 70 year old racers.  Most looked more like 50.  Cool event with lots of good swag in the race bag and a nice USAT AG Nationals picnic type blanket as the finishers gift.

Randy

2011-08-05 9:03 AM

User image

Veteran
Oak Park

Hi guys! It's really fun to hear about all your favorite races. Kind of cool to hear that most of us are more about the atmosphere and experience (and swag, of course) vs. considering our "favorite race" to be the one we PR'd at. 

Speaking of fun races, I ran Chicago's Terrapin 5K last night on the lakefront and it was a fabulous experience. It was a more mellow crowd than usual, smaller, too. And most were wearing tie-dye. I swear someone was pumping patchouli into the air at the starting line. There was a Grateful Dead cover band at the end, Magic Hat beer, and loads of pizza. Great night to sit under the stars on the greens outside Soldier Field and enjoy some music and conversation post-race. 

As far as my performance, I didn't really push it; just considered this kind of a tempo run. I ended up finishing with a time of 28.47 (9.17 miles), which was fine for me. August in Chicago is just too hot to do more than that. I would have overheated had I dropped below 9 min. miles... I will save that speed for the Spring and Fall. 

Good luck to everyone racing this weekend!

2011-08-05 9:38 AM

User image

Master
South Alabama
Racer roll call??

Matt scheduled for a HIM?  Good luck.

Anyone else?

Randy
2011-08-05 9:48 AM
in reply to: #3630381

User image

Extreme Veteran
Edmonds

slornow - 2011-08-05 9:38 AM Racer roll call??

Anyone else?

Randy

Good luck Matt! 

2011-08-05 9:51 AM
in reply to: #3630381

User image

Veteran
Katy, TX

slornow - 2011-08-05 9:38 AM Racer roll call??

Anyone else?

Randy

Good Luck Matt!!

2011-08-05 1:49 PM
in reply to: #3630416

User image

Veteran
Katy, TX

Bike rack question -

This may seem like an odd question, but here goes. I have a bike rack - the Swagman, with a hitch, and the tires go in the two brackets. The guy at the bike store said it will sway, but dear God, it really sways!! Is it supposed to sway a lot, and why? I have almost an hour drive to the race site, it's going to give me heart failure the entire way!

2011-08-05 1:57 PM

User image

Master
South Alabama
Karla-does the rack go into the trailer hitch?  I have a 1UPUSA hitch rack that is similar to the swagman.  When I am traveling long distance or on the interstate I will attach a bungee at the front and rear of the bike frame and attach other end of the bungee to the hitch point.  Keeps the bike from swaying some...although it still sways when passing/getting passed by a truck.  Its overkill as the rack works great but it does make me feel better.

When is your race?

Randy 
2011-08-05 2:00 PM
in reply to: #3630903

User image

Veteran
Katy, TX

slornow - 2011-08-05 1:57 PM Karla-does the rack go into the trailer hitch?  I have a 1UPUSA hitch rack that is similar to the swagman.  When I am traveling long distance or on the interstate I will attach a bungee at the front and rear of the bike frame and attach other end of the bungee to the hitch point.  Keeps the bike from swaying some...although it still sways when passing/getting passed by a truck.  Its overkill as the rack works great but it does make me feel better.

When is your race?

Randy 

Ok, I'll do that - Yes, it's a hitch rack, not a strap one.

Race day is the 14th, woo hoo!

2011-08-07 11:28 AM

User image

Master
South Alabama
Hey gang...hope everyone is having a good weekend.

Wow has it been hot here.  Two hour interval ride yesterday starting at 7am followed by an hour of yard work....all that resulted in a worthless afternoon of laying on the couch watching TV.

Long run this morning.  Legs were really heavy.  Slow pace but still tough.  Planning a repeat of yesterday afternoon's activity.

What's everyone up to? 

Randy 
2011-08-07 1:49 PM

User image

Veteran
Oak Park

We had 85% humidity here yesterday. I did my 'long' run (4 miles) at 10:00 a.m. and it was absolutely miserable. I was moving so slow I probably could have walked faster.  I think we're going to get a break in the weather this week - all the discussion on my midwest friends training logs lately is about the terrible weather. We need a break!

2011-08-07 6:56 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Edmonds

I was talking to my 4 year old about my race next weekend. She said "The people in the front always seem to win.  You should just get in the front, then you could win."  She went on to tell me the spirt of winning was in my heart   Kids are funny.  But I did think i should pass along the advice....If you want to win...be in the front.

Christy

2011-08-07 8:00 PM

User image

Regular
Carmichael
Finished my third half ironman this morning. It was a tough day but I gutted it out and am pretty happy with my race even though the result wasn't as good as I had hoped for. I wasn't feeling that good this morning and barfed about halfway through the swim, swished my mouth with lake water and kept on going haha I had a great bike ride, and was one minute under my bike PR at mile 56 but for some reason the race directors measured the course wrong and we rode another 4 miles. The 86 degree weather with very little shade made for a tough run. I stayed tough though and managed to only walk through the aid stations. My body isn't to thrilled with my efforts right now but I am satisfied I will post a full race report later once they post results on the website. Hope everyone had a good Sunday!
2011-08-07 8:36 PM
in reply to: #3633074

User image

Master
South Alabama
Good job Matt.  Sounds like you stuck it out through a tough day.  Looking forward to the race report.

Randy 
2011-08-08 8:43 AM
in reply to: #3632963

User image

Veteran
Katy, TX
cbrookhart - 2011-08-07 6:56 PM

I was talking to my 4 year old about my race next weekend. She said "The people in the front always seem to win.  You should just get in the front, then you could win."  She went on to tell me the spirt of winning was in my heart   Kids are funny.  But I did think i should pass along the advice....If you want to win...be in the front.

Christy

I love it! She is right, the spirit of winning IS in your heart.

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » jsiegs and slornow's Train Hard and Have Fun group - CLOSED for Training Rss Feed  

of 56