Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 84

2011-08-08 10:37 PM
in reply to: #3436601

User image

Expert
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Subject: I Did It

Good thing I'm not wearing the heart rate monitor because I think my heart is still racing from the adrenalin rush.  I brought my new Specialized Transition Comp home tonight along with new pedals, helmet, aerobars, tri shoes . . .  Of course it was dusk, so no riding outside until tomorrow or Wednesday.

It sure is beautiful.  I'm hesitant to ride it.  Now I'll have to make sure I'm worthy ;-)

Pics are on Facebook.  I'll post some in the next few days!??????????????

2011-08-08 10:38 PM
in reply to: #3634661

User image

Expert
Guatemala
Subject: RE: Ernesto's group - CLOSED

Gabe,

Good to know you had some vinos and tapas, nothing like Spain for that and some R&R. Keep the relaxation going and remember that your fitness is already there. Trust your training and top off the tank with plenty of rest and good nutrition. Even though some vino is good for you, you need to "flush" your system. This week you should eat plenty of fruits and salads, nuts and lean protein. Forget the carbo loading until one day prior to the race, there's only so much you can store so no point in gourging this early in the week.

Training (like we spoke before) should be kept to the minimum as far as distance, but a couple of visits to the track and one velodrome interval session on Wednesday are important to retain fitness, speed has to be there. Even if you feel tired after the sessions don't worry, recovery after short runs and rides is almost immediate. NOTHING LONG FROM NOW ON.

Thanks Coach E, for the advice, I will focus on "flushing" my system while getting some short work outs along with some rest!  BTW, what does "R&R" stand for? Run and Rumba?

Also good to hear that you had a good training week!  How is everyone else doing with there training?

2011-08-09 10:58 AM

User image

Expert

Ernesto,

I'm considering doing the Austin Tri Olympic on Labor Day?  What do you think?  All of a sudden, October seems too far away :-)

Edited by jdiis 2011-08-09 10:59 AM
2011-08-09 2:56 PM
in reply to: #3635806

User image

Master
Dallas
jdiis - 2011-08-09 10:58 AM

Ernesto,

I'm considering doing the Austin Tri Olympic on Labor Day?  What do you think?  All of a sudden, October seems too far away :-)

Why not the Sprint? the course is challenging. It is about the same as Captex with some slight variations. Your training hasn't been consistent with the job change and moving, I would suggest you go to the Oly to crush it in October, not just to finish...
2011-08-10 11:06 AM

User image

Regular
Subject: I was in the neighborhood....

Hi EV and crew, hope everyone's training has been going great. My last post was about my bike crash and I have been bed-ridden for past month and no training for another month in future ATLEAST. I won't be able to do my tri, gonna miss a lot of charity rides, swim-run base training... everything that I worked-on for entire year.

The bitterness of missing it all far surpasses all physical pain. However doc says, I lucked out. Severe injuries in cervical end-up in paralyses. Expecting a full recovery here but  the season might be over for me. Hoping you all are doing good stuff out there.

2011-08-10 5:18 PM

El Paso

Hi team,

well Im 6 weeks from my race, any advise on the trainning I should do, Im thinking of down gradding to a Oly instead of the Half, my knee is doing well but I dont want to risk it for my race early 2012,

Thanks

2011-08-11 2:48 AM
in reply to: #3637650

User image

Master
Gold Coast Australia.
Subject: RE: I was in the neighborhood....
ironbaby - 2011-08-10 11:06 AM

Hi EV and crew, hope everyone's training has been going great. My last post was about my bike crash and I have been bed-ridden for past month and no training for another month in future ATLEAST. I won't be able to do my tri, gonna miss a lot of charity rides, swim-run base training... everything that I worked-on for entire year.

The bitterness of missing it all far surpasses all physical pain. However doc says, I lucked out. Severe injuries in cervical end-up in paralyses. Expecting a full recovery here but  the season might be over for me. Hoping you all are doing good stuff out there.

Oops...

Edited by markz 2011-08-11 3:15 AM
2011-08-11 3:13 AM
in reply to: #3637650

User image

Master
Gold Coast Australia.

Aki, so sorry to hear that... Don't get discouraged though, this is a long term 'hobby' and you will have plenty of time to do it. Not being able to do what you like is great endurance test as well.

Btw, I just finished Lance's book 'It's Not About The Bike' - great read, vey motivating. Stage 4 cancer, testicle removed, brain surgery to remove tumor, strongest chemotherapy that almost killed him and then - winning TdF 7 times! He said cancer was the best thing ever happened to him!!!

2011-08-11 12:59 PM
in reply to: #3638701

User image

Expert
Guatemala
markz - 2011-08-11 2:13 AM

Aki, so sorry to hear that... Don't get discouraged though, this is a long term 'hobby' and you will have plenty of time to do it. Not being able to do what you like is great endurance test as well.

Btw, I just finished Lance's book 'It's Not About The Bike' - great read, vey motivating. Stage 4 cancer, testicle removed, brain surgery to remove tumor, strongest chemotherapy that almost killed him and then - winning TdF 7 times! He said cancer was the best thing ever happened to him!!!

Aki,

X2 on Mark's comments! Very glad that you can expect a FULL recovery which is more important than missing some races. There will be plenty of time to enjoy races again in the near future!  Meanwhile, get some good books to make the most of the time right now. I' m currently reading and totally recommend 1) I'm Here To Win by Chris Macca, 2) 50/50: Secrets I learned Running 50 Marathons in 50 Days by Dean Karnazes.  Also read Born to Run, which was really good.  Best of luck amigo!

Mark and Barry, thanks for the good wishes for my tri on Saturday, only a day and hours left, so trying to get things wrapped up at work plus on more bike ride today, to be able to focus on the race.  Saludos!

Edited by sirgab 2011-08-11 1:00 PM
2011-08-11 5:32 PM

User image

Expert

Aki Patience, my friend.  You are still around to continue the journey.  Read, relax and recover.

Gabe  Best of luck this weekend.  You are the guy training when others are not!

Ernesto OK on the Labor Day tri, thx.  I'm doing a 5K this Sat (you recommended that I do one, remember).  Any advice for the next two days?  I was planning to swim tonight and take Friday off.  Sat am plan is a 20 min walk in my heavy shoes to warm up and then put my racing flats on and turn up the speed.  Well, it certainly sounds good in theory.

After two days of looking at it in my living room, I took my new bike out for the 1st time last night after spin class, just around the neighborhood and down the street with no computer or HR monitor.  I must confess that I was very nervous (not normal for me) because the pedals require me to put all of my weight on them to clip in, and are almost as hard to get out of.  It takes a lot of force.  They are supposed to loosen up, we'll see.  I really like the bike, but it will certainly take some time to get used to.  With the weight up front on the wheel that turns, it feels much less stable than my road bike.  But, I'll get over it.

I'm almost finished with Born to Run.  I thought the beginning moved very slowly, but the rest of it is pretty engaging. 

2011-08-12 11:15 AM
in reply to: #3640067

User image

Master
Dallas
jdiis - 2011-08-11 5:32 PM

Aki Patience, my friend.  You are still around to continue the journey.  Read, relax and recover.

Gabe  Best of luck this weekend.  You are the guy training when others are not!

Ernesto OK on the Labor Day tri, thx.  I'm doing a 5K this Sat (you recommended that I do one, remember).  Any advice for the next two days?  I was planning to swim tonight and take Friday off.  Sat am plan is a 20 min walk in my heavy shoes to warm up and then put my racing flats on and turn up the speed.  Well, it certainly sounds good in theory.

After two days of looking at it in my living room, I took my new bike out for the 1st time last night after spin class, just around the neighborhood and down the street with no computer or HR monitor.  I must confess that I was very nervous (not normal for me) because the pedals require me to put all of my weight on them to clip in, and are almost as hard to get out of.  It takes a lot of force.  They are supposed to loosen up, we'll see.  I really like the bike, but it will certainly take some time to get used to.  With the weight up front on the wheel that turns, it feels much less stable than my road bike.  But, I'll get over it.

I'm almost finished with Born to Run.  I thought the beginning moved very slowly, but the rest of it is pretty engaging. 

Don't change your routine for a 5K, it is not taxing at all and it is not an "A" race. Just line yourself up, race your butt off and don't forget the HR monitor on that one. 5K data is very valuable because it is a very high intensity workout.

Still, build your speed, easier on the first mile and then unleash it. The bike will take a while, but you will see immediate average speed gains in your workouts.

2011-08-12 11:18 AM

User image

Master
Dallas
Aki, so sorry about your inability to train/race... But just like stated by almost everyone, keep in mind that this is a lifetime sport, so in the big picture this will be nothing but a "time off". Still, you have to endure it. Patience, my friend...Smile
2011-08-12 11:19 AM
in reply to: #3640067

User image

Expert
Grapevine, Texas
Hey Jackie, good luck in your 5K!  I'm sure the bike will just take some getting used to, and glad you got to give it a try!  
2011-08-12 12:06 PM

User image

Maple Grove, MN
Hi everyone. Been on vacation since last Friday. Managing to get my runs in, but getting on the internet has been sketchy.

Gabe: Good luck this weekend.

I have a 5k coming up on the 20th. I will take Ernesto's advice to Jackie as if it were for me as well. I don't plan on breaking my running schedule or tapering, just lining up and running fast. I think I may have a chance to age-group podium on this one, because it is only for barefoot or minimalist shoe runners (it's the Naked Foot 5k in Minneapolis). I'm hoping for 20:40.

The next week I have a sprint tri in my home town. I did it last year. I will try to get a few ows's and bike rides in before it, but except for the running, I will basically be going in untrained. But it's just a sprint.

But overall, for me it's just the long slog until my October 2 marathon. This is my first 50 mile week. It's not killing me, but there is just a general sense of fatigue in the legs, which from what I read is desirable.
2011-08-12 4:05 PM
in reply to: #3639590

El Paso

Hi Gabe,

Best of luck on your Race..  la mejor suerte del mundo.!!   tu entrenamiento es impresionante y el resultado sera igual de impresionante..!!

Kick some but!

2011-08-12 6:16 PM
in reply to: #3641046

User image

Master
Dallas

older2533 - 2011-08-12 12:06 PM Hi everyone. Been on vacation since last Friday. Managing to get my runs in, but getting on the internet has been sketchy. Gabe: Good luck this weekend. I have a 5k coming up on the 20th. I will take Ernesto's advice to Jackie as if it were for me as well. I don't plan on breaking my running schedule or tapering, just lining up and running fast. I think I may have a chance to age-group podium on this one, because it is only for barefoot or minimalist shoe runners (it's the Naked Foot 5k in Minneapolis). I'm hoping for 20:40. The next week I have a sprint tri in my home town. I did it last year. I will try to get a few ows's and bike rides in before it, but except for the running, I will basically be going in untrained. But it's just a sprint. But overall, for me it's just the long slog until my October 2 marathon. This is my first 50 mile week. It's not killing me, but there is just a general sense of fatigue in the legs, which from what I read is desirable.
I was wondering where you were hiding. Your training seems to be going incredibly well, I guess by now running is second nature with all those miles, huh?

I'm not going to lie, the sprint will hurt on the bike and your run may not be all there because of your high odometer readings but take it like a fun race without pressure and you might surprise yourself.

Glad to know you're doing well, enjoy your vacations!

2011-08-13 12:42 PM

User image

Expert
Subject: 5K Completed

82 degrees at 8 am start on a 3.37 mi (they call it a 5k) course.  Nice overcast, so no sun to speak of.  257 people of all ages.  Race time clock was faster than mine.  I managed to capture 3rd place (out of 12) in my age group (50-59) and 80th overall.  I was 30 sec behind 2nd place and 1 min behind 1st.  I held an 8:57 pace, after starting out at 8:40 for the first half.  My goal was 9:00 or better, so I'm pretty pleased.  I can see progress and I think that's what this is all about.

Now what is that vdot thing, Ernesto?

Garmin connect has had some real issues on the uploads for over a week now.  I can't wait until they get it fixed so I can see my graphs!

2011-08-13 3:10 PM
in reply to: #3642099

User image

Master
Gold Coast Australia.
Subject: RE: 5K Completed
jdiis - 2011-08-13 12:42 PM

82 degrees at 8 am start on a 3.37 mi (they call it a 5k) course.  Nice overcast, so no sun to speak of.  257 people of all ages.  Race time clock was faster than mine.  I managed to capture 3rd place (out of 12) in my age group (50-59) and 80th overall.  I was 30 sec behind 2nd place and 1 min behind 1st.  I held an 8:57 pace, after starting out at 8:40 for the first half.  My goal was 9:00 or better, so I'm pretty pleased.  I can see progress and I think that's what this is all about.

Garmin connect has had some real issues on the uploads for over a week now.  I can't wait until they get it fixed so I can see my graphs!

Congratulations Jackie!  Dang, that's a podium finish!!! You're doing something rght.

2011-08-13 5:41 PM
in reply to: #3642099

User image

Master
Dallas
Subject: RE: 5K Completed
jdiis - 2011-08-13 12:42 PM

A VDot calculator tells you (with a race time in hand) what your current level of fitness is. It will spit out a number (in your case this is 33.44) and race time predictions for other distances as well as training paces.

About you:

Easy run: 11:17/mile

Tempo run 9:27/mile

VO2 Max run 8:32/mile

Speed form 7:55/mile

Long run 12:41/mile

Yasso 800s 4:22/800M

Race times:

10K 58:23

Half marathon 2:08:43

Full marathon 4:28:21

Google "VDot calculator" and you can do the math yourself. It is important to respect the training paces that it tells you, if you go any faster you will get injured.

2011-08-13 8:38 PM

User image

Master
Dallas

Gabe completed his first half in 6:38 (during very hot conditions)!! as I found out on facebook. I hope he spits out a race report soon, he was going for beer so we might have to wait a while before we hear it from the horse's mouth.

I love to see you guys accomplishing, I feel that I'm living those experiences again.

2011-08-13 11:06 PM
in reply to: #3642500

User image

Expert
Guatemala
ernestov - 2011-08-13 7:38 PM

Gabe completed his first half in 6:38 (during very hot conditions)!! as I found out on facebook. I hope he spits out a race report soon, he was going for beer so we might have to wait a while before we hear it from the horse's mouth.

I love to see you guys accomplishing, I feel that I'm living those experiences again.

Hola Ernesto and BT friends! Coach E, thanks for posting the update and please know I really wanted to share with all how it went as soon as I finished, but it is hard here on the beach with shoddy Internet access in my phone along with the tiny BlackBerry screen. Anyhow, here is a quick update and I promise to follow up with a race report once I get to Guatemala City!Overall, I was able to finish it in 6:38 which I feel is a little high, but it was my first experience at this distance and I really had to work hard to finish it, especially because of high heat (close to 100F), so I'm thrilled with the experience.The race started at 11am (it was hot already) and my swim was what I expected at 42 min for the 1.9K distance. I then proceeded to the bike which I really tried to pace and run my own race. I finished 56 miles in 3:05 while trying to keep my HR b/n 155 and 160 bpm, while enjoying it, hydrating well and keeping on a big smile (most of the time). So I thought I felt good and had done a good job in the bike, saving myself for the run which I started after aprox 3:55 hours. So at that point I really felt I could run a 2:00 hour half marathon and close below 6 hours total. The big surprise came when I got off my bike and really felt the effect of the heat, both ears got clogged all of a sudden and I felt dizzy and had to slow down and at times walk to get my energy back. Long story short, I ended up running 13.1 Mi in about 2:40, and at times, got hit by cramps and negative thoughts about not finishing. However, here I really appreciate all of your good wishes, along with Coach Ernesto's great ongoing support, and knew that quitting was not an option! So that is a semi quick update and will follow up with more soon! BTW, I had to change the beers (which seemed like a good idea as soon as I finished), for pedialite (yuck) and other hydrating drinks in order to try to recover. Also, I have a whole new level of admiration for Ernesto and Mark, after how I felt today, for earning the IronMan status!Saludos to all!

2011-08-14 1:15 AM

User image

Master
Gold Coast Australia.

Gabe, congratulations!!!

It puzzles me why on earth would they start at 11am considering the heat? I think you did great and will have this experience under your belt for the next time, or full IM, should you choose to accept that mission.

I remember doing 1/2IM for the first time, seeing the people running after the bike and wondering how the hell they could do it... My legs refused to run, for the duration of the 13 miles I was on the verge of cramping and I couldn't imagine doing anything longer. The body adapts to distance though, given some time, slowing down a bit helps (in my case at least) and strong desire to finish will make you finish.

Enjoy the feeling and hopefully some good beers too!

2011-08-14 8:26 AM

User image

Veteran
Chicago, Illinois
Congratulations Gabe! Your finish is a major accomplishment indeed. I can't imagine doing a 1/2 im in 100 degrees!
2011-08-14 9:17 AM

User image

Master
Dallas
Gabe, starting a race at that time of the day in the brutal heat and humidity of Central America is inconsiderate to the athlete and plain ole dangerous! The hottest I raced a half was 92 in Puerto Rico and I thought I was dying during the run. I would try a race here in the US, let's do New Orleans together and I promise to do Cozumel with you.
2011-08-15 12:12 AM
in reply to: #3642763

User image

Expert
Guatemala

ernestov - 2011-08-14 8:17 AM Gabe, starting a race at that time of the day in the brutal heat and humidity of Central America is inconsiderate to the athlete and plain ole dangerous! The hottest I raced a half was 92 in Puerto Rico and I thought I was dying during the run. I would try a race here in the US, let's do New Orleans together and I promise to do Cozumel with you.

Ernesto,

I like your proposal of doing the New Orleans 1/2 IM (on April 22, 2012) before shooting for the full IM in Cozumel on November 2012!  Anyone else interested in joining us for New Orleans 2012?  It looks like a fun one (and hopefully it won't be as hot as my tri yesterday!)

Separately, I finally made it to Guatemala City and here is the link to my race report:

http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/training/races-view-container.asp?raceid=189486

Now that my 1st 1/2 IM race is done, I now have to shift gears to speed up my training for the Chicago Marathon on October 9. Saludos to all!

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Ernesto's group - CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 84