BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Yanti & Lynn: Manatee Madness Mentor Group CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 69

2012-02-06 10:00 PM
in reply to: #3942879

User image

Veteran
Citrus Heights, CA
Subject: RE: Yanti & Lynn: Manatee Madness Mentor Group CLOSED

My 10k went well, I nearly reached my goal too--I had wanted to make 1:10:00 or less--I came in at 1:10:35--Laughing  I'm pretty happy with it over all! This race was a new p.r. by 5 minutes. The race report is up--under the Super Bowl Sunday Run. 

Of course, today my calves and parts of my quads are SORE!!!! Luckily, I was moved to the carnivore section at work for the day (too many people away at a conference), so I did a lot of walking/bending/raking--and my legs remained mostly loosened up. I know that the use of my minimal shoes contributed to the soreness, I have only ran in them a few times. I knew I wanted to use them though, the energy and stamina difference is amazing....I ran more comfortably yesterday than I ever have before!

So my next event is a sprint tri on April 15 (my birthdaySmile I know how to celebrate!), so plenty of time to get better with my run, keep up on my bike miles, and acclimate to REALLY cold water! I cant wait.

2012-02-06 10:13 PM
in reply to: #4032681

User image

Veteran
Citrus Heights, CA
amd723 - 2012-02-06 3:34 PM
TriAya - 2012-02-06 3:01 PM
amd723 - 2012-02-05 7:12 AM

I just signed up for an off-road HM.  It is next weekend and is held in a wetlands park.  I hiked the area today and during that 3 mile hike I counted at least 16 gators! They were on the side of the path only about 5 feet away.  A couple of them watched me very closely as I passed by -kinda creepy.  The key to this race is to make sure I am not in front and not the last   The bird life in the park was pretty amazing too, so I am really looking forward to this race.

Happy weekend all!

Ann-Marie

GATORS?!

Hm. If they give you the evil eye, stick your tongue out at them ... and point to the birds

Sounds awesome ... the hike, and the race to come!

I did try shooing one of the gators that was kind of up on his legs, facing me and very, very close to the path.  For some reason, he didn't listen to me and after a few minutes of sizing each other up, I continued past him and he started to turn away from me.

Spending most of my life in Florida, i know that there are gators in just about every fresh water body of water.  I try not to think about that as I do my open water swims in the local lakes and I really try to do all my tri events in the ocean.  Still, when you see the gators in such quantity it is pretty amazing and more then a bit freaky.  Normally, in the winter they are completely inactive and you could step right over them without disturbing them (though I wouldn't recommend it).  However, like the rest of the country, we've had a very mild winter.  In fact, it was in the 80*s as I hiked the area, so the gators were more active then they should have been.  I'm hoping for a cold front for Saturday's race :0

Yeah, but you know the American Crocodile lives in saltwater (along the coast of Florida especially), right? Laughing Sorry, I couldn't help myself. By the way, one way to get a gator's attention (and make them go to a specific spot) is to make a noise and vibration nearby the gator (yet away from yourself)---such as tapping the bank of a lake with a stick or branch--or simply by throwing rocks onto a specific spot. They will think that the noise means there is food nearby.

Tapping a rock ledge with a broomstick was how I "station trained" the zoo's Dwarf Crocodile--according to many crocodilian experts (I'm not one of those yet...), Crocs and gators are incredibly intelligent---and yet they still will go for the tapping noises...

Okay, I am done giving zookeeper advice for now....back to our regularly scheduled tri-mentoring.

2012-02-07 6:57 AM
in reply to: #4032987

User image

Master
Orlando
kgore - 2012-02-06 10:13 PM
amd723 - 2012-02-06 3:34 PM
TriAya - 2012-02-06 3:01 PM
amd723 - 2012-02-05 7:12 AM

I just signed up for an off-road HM.  It is next weekend and is held in a wetlands park.  I hiked the area today and during that 3 mile hike I counted at least 16 gators! They were on the side of the path only about 5 feet away.  A couple of them watched me very closely as I passed by -kinda creepy.  The key to this race is to make sure I am not in front and not the last   The bird life in the park was pretty amazing too, so I am really looking forward to this race.

Happy weekend all!

Ann-Marie

GATORS?!

Hm. If they give you the evil eye, stick your tongue out at them ... and point to the birds

Sounds awesome ... the hike, and the race to come!

I did try shooing one of the gators that was kind of up on his legs, facing me and very, very close to the path.  For some reason, he didn't listen to me and after a few minutes of sizing each other up, I continued past him and he started to turn away from me.

Spending most of my life in Florida, i know that there are gators in just about every fresh water body of water.  I try not to think about that as I do my open water swims in the local lakes and I really try to do all my tri events in the ocean.  Still, when you see the gators in such quantity it is pretty amazing and more then a bit freaky.  Normally, in the winter they are completely inactive and you could step right over them without disturbing them (though I wouldn't recommend it).  However, like the rest of the country, we've had a very mild winter.  In fact, it was in the 80*s as I hiked the area, so the gators were more active then they should have been.  I'm hoping for a cold front for Saturday's race :0

Yeah, but you know the American Crocodile lives in saltwater (along the coast of Florida especially), right? Laughing Sorry, I couldn't help myself. By the way, one way to get a gator's attention (and make them go to a specific spot) is to make a noise and vibration nearby the gator (yet away from yourself)---such as tapping the bank of a lake with a stick or branch--or simply by throwing rocks onto a specific spot. They will think that the noise means there is food nearby.

Tapping a rock ledge with a broomstick was how I "station trained" the zoo's Dwarf Crocodile--according to many crocodilian experts (I'm not one of those yet...), Crocs and gators are incredibly intelligent---and yet they still will go for the tapping noises...

Okay, I am done giving zookeeper advice for now....back to our regularly scheduled tri-mentoring.

LOL, yes I do know about the american crocodile and lately they've been talking about alligators getting into parts of the ocean!  Thankfully, I've never seen either in the ocean and don't know anyone who ever has, so I choose to ignore those things   Thanks for the tips on gator control.  I may have to run with a pocketful of rocks Saturday!

Congrats on your 10k - PRs are always fun.  I wish I could wear minimalist shoes too, but every time I try I end up with knee issues - you're lucky. 

2012-02-07 1:15 PM

Extreme Veteran

Wow.  Maybe I'm not so happy living in Florida afterall. Gators and sharks! Oh my!

Yup.  I'm back from the dead.  Seems like I've been having trouble getting any sense of consistency in my workouts.  Life just gets in the way.  Kids getting sick, I or my wife having to work late, injuries, and other stuff just through me off.  Whine, whine, whine. 

Well, all of that changes today! (I hope).  I think part of it was me still being in the "offseason"  Today is Day 1 of my Oly training plan! (I started today as it works for my schedule better).  Plus I went out and got myself a bike trainer so no more real excuses for not training anymore.  Sleep? pssshh. overrated.

Hopefully my with my training getting more consistent my participation as a manatee will get more consistent! Short swim and bike today.  Did my swim at lunch (24minutes) and 45 min bike later today.

2012-02-07 1:18 PM

User image

Expert

Crocs and gators are incredibly intelligent---and yet they still will go for the tapping noises...

Tapping noises......such as the tapping of feet when jogging?

2012-02-07 1:34 PM
in reply to: #4034067

User image

Veteran
Citrus Heights, CA
jimmyb - 2012-02-07 11:18 AM

Crocs and gators are incredibly intelligent---and yet they still will go for the tapping noises...

Tapping noises......such as the tapping of feet when jogging?

Sure, but generally, they will only go towards the tapping if it remains in one spot--being an ambush predator, they tend to expend as little energy as possible to gain their prey--so chasing doesn't occur....unless you disturb or get to close to a nest...then momma gator WILL chase you (my dad has personal experience with this one! Laughing). 

Wow....I never figured that I would become such a croc advocate!Cool Me personally, I would love to race in gator country--though I would get distracted by the wildlife (I already do during rattlesnake season!)...I admit it, I am a goofball.

2012-02-07 1:45 PM
in reply to: #4032149

User image

Veteran
Golden, CO
Asalzwed - 2012-02-06 12:33 PM
amd723 - 2012-02-04 5:12 PM

Happy weekend all!

Ann-Marie

Excuse me? Did you say 16 gators? I must have misread...

My biggest concerns while running are-I dunno- I guess just dudes "Holla-ing" at us when we run by. Ohhhh and there was this super creepy mime this one time....

Either way, doesn't really compare to gators. You are badass. 

OK-I want the mime story....
2012-02-07 1:46 PM
in reply to: #4032968

User image

Veteran
Golden, CO
kgore - 2012-02-06 9:00 PM

My 10k went well, I nearly reached my goal too--I had wanted to make 1:10:00 or less--I came in at 1:10:35--Laughing  I'm pretty happy with it over all! This race was a new p.r. by 5 minutes. The race report is up--under the Super Bowl Sunday Run. 

Of course, today my calves and parts of my quads are SORE!!!! Luckily, I was moved to the carnivore section at work for the day (too many people away at a conference), so I did a lot of walking/bending/raking--and my legs remained mostly loosened up. I know that the use of my minimal shoes contributed to the soreness, I have only ran in them a few times. I knew I wanted to use them though, the energy and stamina difference is amazing....I ran more comfortably yesterday than I ever have before!

So my next event is a sprint tri on April 15 (my birthdaySmile I know how to celebrate!), so plenty of time to get better with my run, keep up on my bike miles, and acclimate to REALLY cold water! I cant wait.

Congratulations on your 10K time-that's great!! Your birthday is the same day as my mom's-will you remind me when it get's close??

2012-02-07 1:47 PM
in reply to: #4034057

User image

Veteran
Golden, CO
wushunut - 2012-02-07 12:15 PM

Wow.  Maybe I'm not so happy living in Florida afterall. Gators and sharks! Oh my!

Yup.  I'm back from the dead.  Seems like I've been having trouble getting any sense of consistency in my workouts.  Life just gets in the way.  Kids getting sick, I or my wife having to work late, injuries, and other stuff just through me off.  Whine, whine, whine. 

Well, all of that changes today! (I hope).  I think part of it was me still being in the "offseason"  Today is Day 1 of my Oly training plan! (I started today as it works for my schedule better).  Plus I went out and got myself a bike trainer so no more real excuses for not training anymore.  Sleep? pssshh. overrated.

Hopefully my with my training getting more consistent my participation as a manatee will get more consistent! Short swim and bike today.  Did my swim at lunch (24minutes) and 45 min bike later today.

Welcome back! Happy OLY trainingLaughing
2012-02-07 1:51 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Chicago
I just had to pop in and say "hi" to my two fav ladies.  Sorry for the interruption...you may now return to your regularly scheduled mentoring.
2012-02-07 1:51 PM
in reply to: #4025786

User image

Veteran
Golden, CO
ukweeble - 2012-02-02 12:44 PM
Asalzwed - 2012-02-02 7:32 PM
ukweeble - 2012-02-02 1:29 PM

Hey all, i'm back after a short journey to the dark side!!!

Missed you all and sooo glad to be caught up with all the gossip and the odd mention of training.

Got back in the saddle today for the first time in too long and put in 7 miles. My butt hurts.

Running tommorrow, yippee.

Perhaps i should also be following the pop tart revolution, sounds like the healthy option compared to my kebab last night.

Welcome back to the chaos, Allen. Great, now I want a kebab

Did i mention i am also sipping a cold beer right now as a celebration to getting back on a healthy track???

Excellent idea! Celebrate away, I say! How is the "no smoking" going? Still good there? Glad you're back!!!

2012-02-07 1:56 PM
in reply to: #4029447

User image

Melon Presser
jimmyb - 2012-02-05 3:36 AM

I ran out of Blueberry poptartsYell

Actually I felt like despite working hard I just could not get my heart rate up.  Seems weird but I was pedaling at an effort consistent with long rides but my heart rate simply was not going up.  I was around 112 bpm and breaking a decent sweat.  This happens sometimes.  My resting heart rate is in low 50's.  My usual HR on trainer is in 120's.  When I bike at same perceived intensity outside I'm in the 130-140 range.  Could it be that I'm just too comfortable on my trainer?  Any thoughts?  Should I be pushing harder?  It takes a very hard effort to get my HR to 140's on the trainer.

"Read the patient, not the monitor" Sometimes you just have to go with how you feel--either dial back the effort or if you feel like you need to throw the towel in on a workout, do.

There can be a "treadmill effect" on trainers in that they provide a very even, smooth ride, where you're not having to use ancillary musculature to keep yourself in balance and the bike going in a straight line on what is an uneven surface with greater rolling resistance.

I have my trainer jacked to the highest resistance possible and then manipulate the gears to make sure I'm getting the same level of effort I would be outside.

Also, have you done field or lab testing to establish heart rate training zones? Or are you doing a general correlation between RPE (rating of perceived exertion) and heart rate?

2012-02-07 2:00 PM
in reply to: #4034152

User image

Melon Presser

blackledge - 2012-02-08 3:51 AM I just had to pop in and say "hi" to my two fav ladies.  Sorry for the interruption...you may now return to your regularly scheduled mentoring.

RY RY!!!!

^^^^ One of the hottest triathletes and fastest runners EVER ... EVER EVER EVER ... 2nd fastest OVERALL run split at the Chicago Tri two years in a row ...

And a Manatee who spawned his own mentor group, AND spawned the most beautiful mini-Manatee girl!!!

{{{MELON PRESS}}}

2012-02-07 2:08 PM
in reply to: #4032968

User image

Melon Presser
kgore - 2012-02-07 12:00 PM

CONGRATULATIONS!!!!

A PR is awesome no matter what and by FIVE MINUTES is a big, fat, hairy deal!!!

2012-02-07 2:10 PM
in reply to: #4034057

User image

Melon Presser
wushunut - 2012-02-08 3:15 AM

So happy to see you whenever you are here, Keye.

Solid swim and bike is a great start to your Oly training. One day at a time ...

2012-02-07 2:36 PM
in reply to: #4034152

User image

Master

blackledge - 2012-02-07 1:51 PM I just had to pop in and say "hi" to my two fav ladies.  Sorry for the interruption...you may now return to your regularly scheduled mentoring.

*GASP* Look who the gator drug up!  It's the new (not so new anymore) daddy  Hope all is well with you!!!

Edit 1:  Yes, it's been about a month since I've been here.

Edit 2: Toppage

Edited by crews 2012-02-07 2:37 PM

2012-02-07 2:45 PM

User image

Melon Presser

So it's probably time to check in myself ... (to an institution, really, but the Manatees will do nicely )

As Salty alluded earlier, I am in the midst of Worst Case Scenario training for Ironman Melbourne (March 25) but the good news is that I'm still definitely going to give it a shot. Just getting to stay upright and suck air every day is a huge gift, so no matter what happens in March--what an opportunity and what a party! Just happy to be there!

I did do a practice HIM last weekend (it was on my training plan) just to see if I was realistically anywhere in the ballpark of being able to finish, and it went very well. It's still going to be extremely tight, training and time-wise, but this should help a bit:

My new tri bike! I'm so excited. I've never owned a new bike and never thought I could afford a decent tri bike, but ... the tri gods conspired otherwise. Did my first ride on it today and it is LIKE BUTTER!

The Melbourne bike course is fairly flat and will possibly be quite windy on the return of an out-and-back, so aero is definitely favored.

2012-02-07 2:47 PM

User image

Master
That.bike.is.awesome.
2012-02-07 2:48 PM
in reply to: #4034321

User image

Melon Presser

crews - 2012-02-08 4:47 AM That.bike.is.awesome.

Glow glow happy happy wag wag wag

2012-02-07 3:34 PM

Extreme Veteran

Oooh... Nice bike!  And it's red too!

I'm insanely jealous.  I was at the local tri shop today picking out my new torture dev... err trainer and drooling over the nice tri bikes they had on display there.

I think I should've bought a tri bike instead of the road bike after all.  In my year of owning my bike I've done two, TWO, group rides. 

I just seem to like riding solo better.  (Cue Jason Derulo)

2012-02-07 3:44 PM
in reply to: #4034440

User image

Seattle
wushunut - 2012-02-07 3:34 PM

Oooh... Nice bike!  And it's red too!

I'm insanely jealous.  I was at the local tri shop today picking out my new torture dev... err trainer and drooling over the nice tri bikes they had on display there.

I think I should've bought a tri bike instead of the road bike after all.  In my year of owning my bike I've done two, TWO, group rides. 

I just seem to like riding solo better.  (Cue Jason Derulo)

Holy shiiiiii, that picture made me laugh. Also, why does Jason Derulo always seem to have to give himself an audio shout-out in his songs? 

2012-02-07 3:54 PM

Extreme Veteran

No idea but now I have his stupid song stuck in my head with a random "Jason Deruloooo" interspersed here and there.

Ridin' solo. Ridin' solo.

It's worse than having the Girl for Ipanema stuck in your head.

Edited by wushunut 2012-02-07 3:54 PM
2012-02-07 3:56 PM

User image

Seattle
Jaaaaassssssonnnnnn Deeerrrrulllooooooooo
2012-02-07 4:02 PM
in reply to: #4034314

User image

Seattle
TriAya - 2012-02-07 2:45 PM

So it's probably time to check in myself ... (to an institution, really, but the Manatees will do nicely )

As Salty alluded earlier, I am in the midst of Worst Case Scenario training for Ironman Melbourne (March 25) but the good news is that I'm still definitely going to give it a shot. Just getting to stay upright and suck air every day is a huge gift, so no matter what happens in March--what an opportunity and what a party! Just happy to be there!

I did do a practice HIM last weekend (it was on my training plan) just to see if I was realistically anywhere in the ballpark of being able to finish, and it went very well. It's still going to be extremely tight, training and time-wise, but this should help a bit:

My new tri bike! I'm so excited. I've never owned a new bike and never thought I could afford a decent tri bike, but ... the tri gods conspired otherwise. Did my first ride on it today and it is LIKE BUTTER!

The Melbourne bike course is fairly flat and will possibly be quite windy on the return of an out-and-back, so aero is definitely favored.

Oh and, HOT Yanti. But you already know that.

If anyone can be successful with the worst case scenario plan, it's you. 

2012-02-07 4:08 PM

User image

Master
Vista, CA

Congrats on the new bike Yanti! She's a beaut, just like you! :-)

And Ryan....hey....thanks for stoppin' by. Hope Daddyhood is going well for you.

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Yanti & Lynn: Manatee Madness Mentor Group CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 69