BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Slornow and Wannabefaster's Winter Mentor Group-CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 66

2013-02-28 10:19 PM
in reply to: #4542607

User image

Champion
Columbia, South Carolina
Subject: RE: Slornow and Wannabefaster's Winter Mentor Group-CLOSED

Hey everyone.  Just got done catching up with everything here.  It's been a pretty hectic few weeks for me -- for a while kid stuff hung in the balance, and then once that was sorted out, I got sick (possibly related...).  Anyway, I'm feeling pretty good, now, and hope you all are well.

I've re-assessed my season, and decided that I'm going to focus on some Fall race.  I'm signed up for two spring HIMs, but I will probably not do them.  I could finish a HIM in my sleep at this point, even untrained, and that's just not something I'm interested in doing any more.  If I cannot race up to a reasonable standard, I'd rather just train.  So train it is.  Consistency first, then we'll see.

Unless I can count hours spent in lawyers' offices and doctors' office, I think I'll take a pass on posting February totals...

2013-03-01 5:37 AM

User image

Master
Got in some laps at he Xterra course. Hard ones. No socializing on this run. I almost tossed my cookies, literally. I had eaten 6 of the cookies my boss brought me at work, and I pushed myself to vomit state. Gross, but necessary to find out how hard I can push myself out there.

I hope Jim and his family are dealing with their loss best they can.  
2013-03-01 7:08 AM

User image

Veteran
Greenville, SC

Jason, I hope all is well with your wife. That sort of experience would scare the crap out of me as well.

My totals this month are minus a few sick days and I let up a bit on swimming a compared to January, but I'm still happy with how I did!

Bike:13h 24m 56s  - 223.44 Mi
Run:12h 39m 44s  - 79.9 Mi
Swim:

5h 06m 11s  - 16350 Yd

First race of the season is this month! 23 more days!!

Happy friday everyone!

2013-03-01 8:59 AM
in reply to: #4641410

User image

Master
South Alabama
Experior - 2013-02-28 10:19 PM

Hey everyone.  Just got done catching up with everything here.  It's been a pretty hectic few weeks for me -- for a while kid stuff hung in the balance, and then once that was sorted out, I got sick (possibly related...).  Anyway, I'm feeling pretty good, now, and hope you all are well.

I've re-assessed my season, and decided that I'm going to focus on some Fall race.  I'm signed up for two spring HIMs, but I will probably not do them.  I could finish a HIM in my sleep at this point, even untrained, and that's just not something I'm interested in doing any more.  If I cannot race up to a reasonable standard, I'd rather just train.  So train it is.  Consistency first, then we'll see.

Unless I can count hours spent in lawyers' offices and doctors' office, I think I'll take a pass on posting February totals...

Michael-glad to have you back! Time spent in the presence of doctors and lawyers counts X10! My bet is that after a couple of weeks of consistent trining you will be looking at possible races. Have a good weekend.

2013-03-01 10:40 AM

User image

Master
ann arbor, michigan
Question for the group--there is not right answer but maybe there is a wrong one.

I am starting to see some gains recently. I am finally making progress on the bike and the swim and my run continues to improve slowly.

Last night the Red Cross called me and asked me to donate a unit of blood. For many years I have been a pretty regular blood donor and it makes me feel good to do it. Here's the problem; from experience, donating a unit of blood is going to really hurt my training for a couple weeks. I don't even notice it just walking around but when I try to do hard efforts for several weeks after a blood donation it just doesn't work. I always think that it feels like I am trying to do the workout at about 8,000 feet elevation (good training for Tahoe I guess).

I am leaning toward donating. I know I will feel like I have done a good thing. I am just dreading the training setback. Am I just being too darn serious about what is essentially a hobby?

The opinions of the group are very welcome
2013-03-01 11:35 AM

User image

Master
Jason, timely question. Runners World tweeted a story today on blood donation and training. I'll see if I can find it when we get home from hospital.

2013-03-01 11:36 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Silicon Valley

Jason we used to give blood regularly when I was swimming in college.  All the sports teams participated.  For me, the recovery was just a few days but for others it was much longer.

My answer is easy and emphatic...give the blood.  That is a great thing to do and saves lives.  The next time a triathlete is in an accident and needs blood, consider that your contribution to the sport.

While I have never needed a blood transfusion I have many family members that have.  For all of them let me say Thank You!

2013-03-01 11:37 AM
in reply to: #4642139

User image

Master
I'll favor it on twitter. Check it out.

Ask coach and see what he says.

Edited by Catwoman 2013-03-01 11:38 AM
2013-03-01 2:26 PM

User image

Master
South Alabama

Jason-I have not given blood in several years. Really have not thought much about it. I would not hesitate to do so in the off season or if I had an easy week ahead of me. I'm a month out from my first race of the season so I would not do it right now....too focused on hitting my workouts and being ready.

Good swim workout at lunch 5X100 descending from 1:55 for first set down to 1:30 for the last. Last 5X100 turned into 500 straight as I came in at 1:28-29 on the first 2 100's...so I just swam the remainder straight through.

Pumped to have received a new to me (used) wetsuit today. I have a sleeveless Xterra low end suit I have used for the last 3 seasons. Was looking for a full sleeved suit...specifically the Desoto T1 suits. Guy on Slowtwitch had a 2011 model with bibjohn, longsleeve top and vest. Bought all 3 pieces for $150. Would have been around $500-550 new. Suit is in great shape and seems to fit perfectly. Now I'll have a full sleeved suit for some of these colder early season swims.

Short easy run tonight then long bike tomorrow...likely in the garage as high tomorrow is upper 40's with stiff North wind. Not bad but I want to get done early so garage is the likely result.

2013-03-01 4:41 PM

User image

Regular
Wichita, KS
Got in a decent workout prior to my Colorado trip. Swam 1100 yds at a decent pace (for me) and 15 trainer miles at a moderate pace. Our flight out tonight is delayed so I'm posting my day. I may only be able to post intermittently once I'm gone. Have a good weekend guys.
2013-03-01 5:35 PM

User image

Master
February totals. Low running miles this month due to injury.
February's totals:
Bike: 21h 11m 15s - 417.41 Mi
Run: 2h 13m 57s - 15.28 Mi
Swim:14h 28m - 41377.65 Yd

Randy-I believe this is the second month that my swim distance passes yours!

2013-03-01 5:48 PM

User image

Master
South Alabama

Rene-I think you are right...I'm OK with that. How did hubby's surgery go? Ya'll back home?

Jamie/Nate-looks like I will be making periodic trips to the Greenville area beginning in August. I had announced about a month ago that my daughter, Dorothy, had got in Furman. Found out today that she was offered a "Bell Tower Scholarship". We will be able to make the numbers work so it looks like she will be a Paladin next year....whatever that is. Maybe we can meet for a run at some point.  

2013-03-02 4:58 AM

User image

Master
Off-road bike race tomorrow. It's on part of the Xterra bike course, so using it for training.
2013-03-02 10:10 AM
in reply to: #4643158

User image

Master
ann arbor, michigan
Blanda--good luck on the race.

Spent 1:45 on the trainer this morning. Something is finally happening on the bike. This workout would have really hurt me a month ago. This morning, while hard, it was not nearly as crushing as it has been in the past.

Sometimes it is difficult for me to remember that athletic improvements are not linear. I can work for months and months and see no change at all and then in one week I can make a huge incremental improvement. I know this to be true because I have seen it happen over and over again over the last several years. It is still so hard not to lose heart when the plateaus seem to last forever.

Remind me of this next time I am whining about how I'm not getting anywhere
2013-03-02 11:53 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Collierville, Tennessee

Randy-Glad to hear your daughter will be going to Furman; I love Greenville, and have only ever heard great things about the university!

I just finished up a local 5k race this morning and did really well! The weather looked awful on the way, rain and sleet, but it cleared up for the race. It was chilly, but no precipitation. I felt good during the run; any run around here involves hills, and I usually do well going up them, but I made it a focus during this race to use the downhills to my advantage, too. 

I smoked it! Laughing My chip time was 22:27, which gave me a 7/65 finish in my AG, and a 58/1685 overall finish. This is really something for me, as I've never been anything like a fast runner, but the work seems to be paying off! Now, it's time for a long trainer ride (2:45) and then put my feet up for awhile

Oh, I'll let Nate say how he did, but I'll give you hint: we left before they did awards, and we should've stayed! 

2013-03-02 11:55 AM

User image

Master
South Alabama

Good morning everyone! Its good because I finished my long (2:40) bike workout in the garage. Made it all the way through the last Batman/Dark Knight movie. 3X35 min. at about 10-15 watts over what I will shoot for in my HIM next month. Totals for the workout have power for the 2:40 right about what I will want to hit for the race....just glad I'm not slogging through a HM right now. Legs are pretty tired.

Has anyone ever tried any of the compression boots on the market? Normatec, podium legs etc.? I would love to try some out on my sofa right now to see if they would help my legs recover quicker. I would love to try some. They are pricey and if they felt good I'm afraid I would tell myself that I "need" some.

Daughter has a soccer game this afternoon here in town. Long run on tap for me tomorrow.

2013-03-02 2:25 PM
in reply to: #4643405

User image

Master
ann arbor, michigan
Randy, I have never tried them but would be very interested in them if they made a significant recovery difference. There was a thread over on ST a couple days ago where someone made the claim that if you were not using a normatec/compression type recovery system that you were selling yourself short. Many jumped in and said, "where is the data to support this statement?" I don't think anyone was able to provide anything definitive that said that they work but admittedly, I lost interest in the thread and maybe something else came up.

I had a brief, 15 minute swim lesson this afternoon and then went out and swam as fast as I ever have. I was doing 100 yard repeats and seeing low 1:20s for several of the 100s which is fast for me. She just corrected two little things with my catch and my pull and I could feel a noticeable difference. Now I need to go out this week and cement the changes! Easier said than done.
2013-03-02 2:56 PM
in reply to: #4643401

User image

Veteran
Greenville, SC

Randy, I second what Jamie says. Greenville is a great place and I've heard excellent things about Furman as well. Congrats to your daughter and I'm looking forward to meeting you in person!

Jamie, nice job on the 5K, it seems we are both making great strides in our running!

I felt pretty good the whole race and made a point to take it easy on the hills. Quite a few people would pass me when I did that, but once we reached the top of the hill, I'd overtake them again, which made me feel pretty good.

WoodrowCall - 2013-03-02 12:53 PM

Oh, I'll let Nate say how he did, but I'll give you hint: we left before they did awards, and we should've stayed! 

3rd place! I was pretty stunned. I guess most of the super fast guys were in the 10K instead of the 5K so it gave me a chance to podium. Too bad we didn't stick around, that would have been pretty cool.

Just finished my 2:45 trainer ride. I'm logging my time and finishing my recovery shake as I type this. Now for a nice long and warm shower!

Have a great weekend everyone!

2013-03-02 3:12 PM

User image

Calgary, AB

Nate & Jamie --  congratulations on the run improvement!

I've got progress to report as well  -- I ventured outside for the first time since New Years Day -- weather finally got nice enough (around here, that means above freezing and sunny Smile     I did my usual route around the block -- 0.5k warm up, 5K run, 0.5k cool down.    I managed to do the 5K run in 28:40 -- still lots of room for improvement, but that beat my previous PR by over a minute.  w00t!

The first 2K were on par with previous runs, but I saw a big improvement in the back half -- my endurance is seeing the benefits of all the wintertime treadmill running...

First tri of the season is 6 weeks out -- can't wait!

Scott

2013-03-02 4:22 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Silicon Valley

Great race guys.  Setting apretty high bar for the rest of us!

I was going to do a 3 mile run yesterday but it just wasn't happening.  I had a late business lunch so I ate more than I should have and then it was really hot and stuffy at the PTs office.  All I could do was squeeze out 2 miles.

Today I did a ride just under 26 miles in decent time.  I decided one thing I could do to get more run time in would be to go for a short run right after my ride.  So I put the bike up, threw on my running shoes and did one lap down the end of the street and around the small creek path.  It's just under a mile (0.97 to be precise) which I did in 9:27.  

I forgot how long it takes my legs to make the adjustement from riding to running. If I do it a couple of dozen times between now and my next event maybe it will be better.

The weather here is great so I am BBQing tonight.  Everybody enjoy the weekend!

2013-03-02 5:19 PM

User image

Master
South Alabama

Nate/Jamie-super work at the 5K. Lots of progress. I think you both will see some big gains in your race pace during the tri season. Much respect for then getting on the bike for long rides. Solid day.

Scott-always nice to get outside. Consistency over the Winter makes for a happy Spring!

Stuart-nice work fitting in the run. Last year I would do alot of 1-2 mile runs right after a bike workout. Helps build endurance and allows you to get in a run workout without all of the prep.

2013-03-02 7:46 PM

User image

New user
Scott Jamie and Nate, congratulations on your accomplishments. Very impressive results, has to feel great!
I really enjoy hearing about all of the workouts and the progress everyone is making.

Today was my nine mile jog/walk day, I am working a HM into my sprint plan, mostly walking at this point. Jogged 1.1 miles of it. Since it was so long I decided to try out some GU chomps during it. I had never tried any of those products before. They were actually good! I am still a bit hesitant about the gel stuff, seems sort of gross and sounds gross but I will give it a try. Legs a little sore, that is the longest distance I have done on my feet!
2013-03-02 8:04 PM

User image

Master
Michael: Thanks for checking in! Always good to know what you're up to.

Nate/Jaime: Excellent work, guys!

MTB race today was GREAT! I was at the back for most of it, and knocked my chain right off bouncing down a rocky hill, but no crashes. Half of it was technically challenging with rocky hills, and the other half was mentally and physically challenging trudging through grass and muck. Overall a great ride and another confidence booster! Next race is next Sunday and I hear they get progressively more challenging.

Hope you are having a great night!

Edited by Blanda 2013-03-02 8:06 PM
2013-03-03 10:21 AM

User image

Veteran
Denton
Nice and easy 27 mile ride done ... now enjoying the rest pof Sunday. 
2013-03-03 1:21 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Collierville, Tennessee

Thanks for all the congrats on the race, still feeling pretty happy about it. 

I got my long run with Nate done this morning, and I am ready for some rest! My legs are really tired. I hope everyone's Sunday afternoon is as relaxing as I'm planning on mine being!

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Slornow and Wannabefaster's Winter Mentor Group-CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 66