CLOSED

of 81

2010-03-19 8:46 AM
in reply to: #2698010

User image

Extreme Veteran
Southwestern Ontario
Subject: RE: bEASTies - March Winds Challenge

Oh no, Ann, I'm sorry to hear you crashed!  I will read your story on the Ghoulies.

2010-03-19 8:48 AM
in reply to: #2735093

User image

Extreme Veteran
Southwestern Ontario
ebshot - 2010-03-19 7:25 AM
kimk - 2010-03-18 11:01 PM Had a scare yesterday and the school I teach water aerobics at last night. There is a man that doesn't speak very good English and I have a hard time understanding him...well he signed up for lap swimming without knowing how to swim, so I have been working with him after teaching my class, he was working on his kicking but acting very tired. after asking him several times if he was ok and not really getting the response I wanted I called the lifeguard over and we had to help him out of the pool, sat him on the bench and tried to get him to respond to my questions, no verbal response from him, he was always conscious but not really "with it" so I called 911 and when they got there they tested his blood sugars...he was at a 33! Later to find out he is diabetic and after an IV of sugar he came around and had no clue what just happened! It was really scary and I'm glad I took the time to work with him otherwise I might not have noticed he was having problems! They took him to the ER, I hope he is doing better today. I won't see him till Wednesday.

That is super scary.  Nice job on recognizing that something was not right.  It could have turned out much different if you didn't!  Hero award for you.

OMG - 33 is off the charts high!  I'm glad you had the courage to call 911.  I say courage because so often we feel stupid about using emergency services because what if it wasn't necessary.  Like calling the police about suspicious goings on in the neighbourhood.  Good job - you probably saved his life.
2010-03-19 8:52 AM
in reply to: #2734200

User image

Expert
West Grove, PA
jtrezza - 2010-03-18 4:05 PM

D001 - 2010-03-18 11:04 AM
jtrezza - 2010-03-18 8:38 AM

OK Folks,  I am falling way behind with my running.  My HM training group has run 12 miles, and I am only up to 8.  If I don't run at least 9 miles at lunch today... (gulp) I should be tased.

Okey dokey. You have 3 hours to report back, before I come after you with a taser in each hand.

I am pleased to report that I completed a run of exactly 10 miles.  It was a slow ten miles, but I'll take it.  So, go ahead and holster that taser until next week!

Go Jacqueline!  Nice run!  Dee... HOLSTER THAT TAZER!
2010-03-19 8:53 AM
in reply to: #2734209

User image

Expert
West Grove, PA
jtrezza - 2010-03-18 4:09 PM

KOM - 2010-03-18 1:24 PM People coming over is about the only time I clean my house.  It really needs it!

You're nicer than I am.  I save my cleaning for AFTER company leaves, so I can enjoy a clean and peaceful house.  I am terrible.

You're both nicer than I am... I save my cleaning for after the company ARRIVES... then I put 'em to work... Spring cleaning, taser-style!!!
2010-03-19 8:57 AM
in reply to: #2735252

User image

Master
Albany, NY
ironannekidd - 2010-03-19 9:04 AM

kimk - 2010-03-19 8:58 AM
ironannekidd - 2010-03-19 6:30 AM I had a bad ride last night bEASTies and I may be done for the month.

Without going into the whole story I'll just say it involved my me, my bike, a Rottweiller, and me crashing.

My hip is bruised and sore. A section of my quad is sore just above my knee, but I'm having a lot of knee pain, sort of inside my knee. I'm going to take the weekend off and rest. If I'm still having a lot of pain on Monday I'm going to call my doctor.

ugggg sorry to hear. Please take care of yourself, and heal quickly! Was the owner of the dog around?

Thanks Kim

The dog was out in the yard playing with a boy. I've ridden by there lots of times before and never had a problem. I don't know what happened last night.

The boy went running into the house and a man came out and had to chase the dog away, he yelled at him but the dog didn't listen.

I just put what happened over in the Ghoulie thread if you want to read it.

Ann, I read the story and that is really scary! I've come close to that kind of situation but never actually crashed. What scares me when I'm out biking or running is that you never know what will set some dogs off. And a dog that seems fine one minute can turn on you the next. I hate to pick on dogs... I'm really a scaredy cat when it comes to animals. I don't even like when the Buffalo that look at me funny when I run by their farm.

I'm sorry you are hurting and SO deserve to take some time today to relax and soak up some sunshine!
2010-03-19 9:00 AM
in reply to: #2734828

User image

Expert
West Grove, PA
yogachic - 2010-03-18 10:22 PM Ok, bEASTies, looks like I missed a good day of chattiness today.  I think I'm mostly caught up.

News of the day!  I just registered for the Chicago Marathon!!  This will be my second marathon of the year (and ever), assuming I make it through the one I'm training for now.  I'm kind of excited because a lot of my friends are doing it, as well as 2 of my sisters who will be coming in from NYC and Ann Arbor to do it.  Plus it's on 10.10.10, how cool is that?

Missy - after your 18 mile run the other day, I don't think you're going to have any trouble making it through the first marathon!!!

2010-03-19 9:01 AM

User image

Master
Albany, NY
Got my 16 miles in on the trainer last night but boy was it miserable. My throat was killing me at that point and could hardly drink! Slept like crap but it's feeling a little better now, probably thanks to the vitamin C drops I'm going through like they are candy. Glad today is a planned rest day!
2010-03-19 9:02 AM
in reply to: #2735386

User image

Champion
Somewhere I can be nekidd
rnihill - 2010-03-19 9:57 AM
ironannekidd - 2010-03-19 6:30 AM I had a bad ride last night bEASTies and I may be done for the month.

Without going into the whole story I'll just say it involved my me, my bike, a Rottweiller, and me crashing.

My hip is bruised and sore. A section of my quad is sore just above my knee, but I'm having a lot of knee pain, sort of inside my knee. I'm going to take the weekend off and rest. If I'm still having a lot of pain on Monday I'm going to call my doctor.

ugggg sorry to hear. Please take care of yourself, and heal quickly! Was the owner of the dog around?

Thanks Kim

The dog was out in the yard playing with a boy. I've ridden by there lots of times before and never had a problem. I don't know what happened last night.

The boy went running into the house and a man came out and had to chase the dog away, he yelled at him but the dog didn't listen.

Ann, I read the story and that is really scary! I've come close to that kind of situation but never actually crashed. What scares me when I'm out biking or running is that you never know what will set some dogs off. And a dog that seems fine one minute can turn on you the next. I hate to pick on dogs... I'm really a scaredy cat when it comes to animals. I don't even like when the Buffalo that look at me funny when I run by their farm. I'm sorry you are hurting and SO deserve to take some time today to relax and soak up some sunshine!

Thanks Rhoda

I'm a dog lover, I have 2 of my own. My best friends have dogs. They've even made comments that their dogs consider me part of the pack now. I am cautious though around ones I don't know when I'm out running or biking.

Like I said, I've seen that dog before and had no problems. Now I keep thinking what about what happened last night. I don't know if it was because he was so close to the road when I went by, or because the boy was there, maybe he was protecting the boy. I know I'll ride there again, just not real soon.
2010-03-19 9:03 AM
in reply to: #2735392

User image

Champion
billsorg - 2010-03-19 10:00 AM
yogachic - 2010-03-18 10:22 PM Ok, bEASTies, looks like I missed a good day of chattiness today.  I think I'm mostly caught up.

News of the day!  I just registered for the Chicago Marathon!!  This will be my second marathon of the year (and ever), assuming I make it through the one I'm training for now.  I'm kind of excited because a lot of my friends are doing it, as well as 2 of my sisters who will be coming in from NYC and Ann Arbor to do it.  Plus it's on 10.10.10, how cool is that?

Missy - after your 18 mile run the other day, I don't think you're going to have any trouble making it through the first marathon!!!

x2
2010-03-19 9:03 AM
in reply to: #2734874

User image

Expert
West Grove, PA
kimk - 2010-03-18 11:01 PM Had a scare yesterday and the school I teach water aerobics at last night. There is a man that doesn't speak very good English and I have a hard time understanding him...well he signed up for lap swimming without knowing how to swim, so I have been working with him after teaching my class, he was working on his kicking but acting very tired. after asking him several times if he was ok and not really getting the response I wanted I called the lifeguard over and we had to help him out of the pool, sat him on the bench and tried to get him to respond to my questions, no verbal response from him, he was always conscious but not really "with it" so I called 911 and when they got there they tested his blood sugars...he was at a 33! Later to find out he is diabetic and after an IV of sugar he came around and had no clue what just happened! It was really scary and I'm glad I took the time to work with him otherwise I might not have noticed he was having problems! They took him to the ER, I hope he is doing better today. I won't see him till Wednesday.

Smart move calling 9-1-1...  You're my hero, Kim!!!
2010-03-19 9:11 AM
in reply to: #2735252

User image

Expert
West Grove, PA

Thanks Kim

Ann - that is awful.  I hope you have a quick recovery and are back on that bike in no time.  After healing for a few days, a nice, easy swim in the pool, or even a soak in a hot tub (if available) might help to ease some of the soreness.  Martinis and margaritas also can help.  I'm not a doctor, but I do play one on TV. 

I had a run-in last year with a dog and if the timing was different, I honestly might not be here to talk about it.  On a pretty busy road (50mph speed limit), I was riding on the shoulder and this dog came out of nowhere barking, growling and biting at my feet.  I swerved right out into the middle of the OPPOSING lane before I knew what was going on.  If there were traffic in either direction (which it's really unbelievable that there wasn't), I would have been obliterated!  The dog chased me for a few hundred yards.  It was my absolute favorite bike route for 2 years, but I've never taken that route again.  Once again... hope you heal quickly!!!

2010-03-19 9:12 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Southwestern Ontario
Okay bEASTies - we're 61% of the way through March!  I checked the TWISTERS spreadsheet and they are falling behind us.  Go bEASTies, it's Friday...woot!  Have some great workouts this weekend!
2010-03-19 9:18 AM
in reply to: #2735433

User image

Champion
billsorg - 2010-03-19 10:11 AM

Thanks Kim

Ann - that is awful.  I hope you have a quick recovery and are back on that bike in no time.  After healing for a few days, a nice, easy swim in the pool, or even a soak in a hot tub (if available) might help to ease some of the soreness.  Martinis and margaritas also can help.  I'm not a doctor, but I do play one on TV. 

I had a run-in last year with a dog and if the timing was different, I honestly might not be here to talk about it.  On a pretty busy road (50mph speed limit), I was riding on the shoulder and this dog came out of nowhere barking, growling and biting at my feet.  I swerved right out into the middle of the OPPOSING lane before I knew what was going on.  If there were traffic in either direction (which it's really unbelievable that there wasn't), I would have been obliterated!  The dog chased me for a few hundred yards.  It was my absolute favorite bike route for 2 years, but I've never taken that route again.  Once again... hope you heal quickly!!!

That's a scary story right there ^. Everything happens so fast doesn't it?

A hot tub is available, and I do believe I have the margarita ingredients. I really think I'm going to leave work soon so I can go home and prop it up. I just can't get comfortable in my chair which is causing my hip to hurt more.

A nap and a margarita sound good right now
2010-03-19 9:22 AM
in reply to: #2735437

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2010-03-19 9:23 AM

Expert
West Grove, PA
Whew!  All caught up on the thread... that only took an hour or so!  Missed my AM workout again... I was just hoping to do an easy 5k on the treadmill as a final warmup to my race on Sunday.  But alas, the sleep won out over the workout.  My boss is out today, so I'm going to head over to the Y at some point today and get in a little run.  It's very, very nice out, but I think I'm just going to opt for the treadmill to minimize the impact on my legs. 

On a lighter, more painful note.  I'm coaching my 9-year-old daugher's softball team and last night was our team's first practice.  I was throwing grounders to the girls and when one of the girls was throwing the ball back to me, got distracted for a moment and took a softball directly to the upper lip.  It wasn't too painful, but it bled a little and instantly became swollen to the point that I looked (and still look) rediculouos -  think Rocky Balboa at the end of every one of his fights.  My daughter said, "Daddy, I hope you're not mad at me." I said, "Honey, why would I be mad at you?  You didn't throw the ball and it was my fault anyway... I wasn't watching where I should have been watching."  She said, "I know... but I just couldn't stop laughing."  I was wondering why she was walking around with her glove over her mouth after it happened.  NICE!
2010-03-19 9:24 AM

Expert
West Grove, PA
OK... my chattiness is done for a couple hours!  I'll shut up now!Wink

2010-03-19 9:34 AM
in reply to: #2735475

2010-03-19 12:11 PM
in reply to: #2735520

Master
Albany, NY
wgraves7582 - 2010-03-19 10:34 AM

billsorg - 2010-03-19 10:23 AM Whew!  All caught up on the thread... that only took an hour or so!  Missed my AM workout again... I was just hoping to do an easy 5k on the treadmill as a final warmup to my race on Sunday.  But alas, the sleep won out over the workout.  My boss is out today, so I'm going to head over to the Y at some point today and get in a little run.  It's very, very nice out, but I think I'm just going to opt for the treadmill to minimize the impact on my legs. 

On a lighter, more painful note.  I'm coaching my 9-year-old daugher's softball team and last night was our team's first practice.  I was throwing grounders to the girls and when one of the girls was throwing the ball back to me, got distracted for a moment and took a softball directly to the upper lip.  It wasn't too painful, but it bled a little and instantly became swollen to the point that I looked (and still look) rediculouos -  think Rocky Balboa at the end of every one of his fights.  My daughter said, "Daddy, I hope you're not mad at me." I said, "Honey, why would I be mad at you?  You didn't throw the ball and it was my fault anyway... I wasn't watching where I should have been watching."  She said, "I know... but I just couldn't stop laughing."  I was wondering why she was walking around with her glove over her mouth after it happened.  NICE!

well as a man and reading your story I am glad it was your lip - and you know what I mean!

Too cute on the daughter story - I am sure mine would do the same.

And you are a bigger man than me - coaching girls softball.  My wife's cousin tried conning me into that - yeah - I don't think so!!!!!

I think I'd rather coach girls softball than be a girl scout troop leader, though... Girl Scouts is pressuring me to form a splinter troop next year since the current troop is rather large. All because I volunteered to help out for a couple meetings? Nothing against girl scouts... love the cookies. and I think gs is very good for my daughter. I'm just the sort of gal that is more interested in throwing, hitting and running than learning special girly handshakes, pledges and songs. Know what I mean?
2010-03-19 12:12 PM
in reply to: #2735520

Expert
West Grove, PA
wgraves7582 - 2010-03-19 10:34 AM
billsorg - 2010-03-19 10:23 AM Whew!  All caught up on the thread... that only took an hour or so!  Missed my AM workout again... I was just hoping to do an easy 5k on the treadmill as a final warmup to my race on Sunday.  But alas, the sleep won out over the workout.  My boss is out today, so I'm going to head over to the Y at some point today and get in a little run.  It's very, very nice out, but I think I'm just going to opt for the treadmill to minimize the impact on my legs. 

well as a man and reading your story I am glad it was your lip - and you know what I mean!

Too cute on the daughter story - I am sure mine would do the same.

And you are a bigger man than me - coaching girls softball.  My wife's cousin tried conning me into that - yeah - I don't think so!!!!!

LOL... didn't think of that.  My coaching days would have been OVER!  Then my daughter would have REEEALLY been laughing.  "Daddy... why are you curled up in the fetal position, sucking your thumb and crying like a baby???"
2010-03-19 12:26 PM
in reply to: #2735475

Pro
Olney, MD

I remember helping out the coaches with my son's tee ball teams, etc. At those early ages it would have been useful to have an individual coach for each person on the field.

At one of the first practices a kid threw the ball over my head and as I turned and started running after it my foot slipped and I hyper-extended my knee. It was at least 8 weeks before the knee was feeling really good.
2010-03-19 12:29 PM
in reply to: #2735896

2010-03-19 2:22 PM

Expert
West Grove, PA
It's such a georgeous day out, I decided to run outside... how could I resist?!  So my 5k turned into 5+ miles.  Kept it to a nice, easy pace and it felt great.  After I finish my race on Sunday I'll be at 90% of my run goal.  So I'll be able to focus on swimming (yay... not) and biking.  Everyone have a fan-dam-tastic weekend!
Cool
2010-03-19 2:39 PM
in reply to: #2736233

2010-03-19 2:50 PM
in reply to: #2734828

Extreme Veteran
Morris County, NJ

yogachic - 2010-03-18 10:22 PM News of the day!  I just registered for the Chicago Marathon!!  This will be my second marathon of the year (and ever), assuming I make it through the one I'm training for now.  I'm kind of excited because a lot of my friends are doing it, as well as 2 of my sisters who will be coming in from NYC and Ann Arbor to do it.  Plus it's on 10.10.10, how cool is that?

I am very impressed.  I am not ready to even think about thinking about training for a marathon, and you are doing two in your first year.  Sister, you are hard core!

2010-03-19 2:52 PM
in reply to: #2734874

Extreme Veteran
Morris County, NJ

Holy cow, while I was busy consuming pasta and beer, you were busy saving someone's life.  Great job!

New Thread
CLOSED
Other Resources Challenge Me! » bEASTies - March Winds Challenge Rss Feed  

of 81