BT Development Mentor Program Archives » kenj's group closed, training hard and having fun!! Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 72

2011-07-07 9:07 AM
in reply to: #3434537

User image

Extreme Veteran
Normal, Ill.
Subject: RE: kenj's group closed, training hard and having fun!!

You guys are all doing great.

Checking in:

On vacation so getting some workouts in.  Ran 21 miles this week, two 5 milers and a 11 miler and will run after a century (or near century) on Saturday.   One of the 5 milers was a club race.  PR'd. 9:06 pace.  Great for me. The long runs are slow, but they are supposed to be a pace I can maintain to avoid walking.  They are coming along.  Big kick for a guy who was 400 pounds 5 years ago unable to walk up a flight of stairs without dying to be able to kiss the wife and say, "I'm going running for 2 hours," and come home still standing without stopping but briefly to refill my water bottles.

Got the bike back from the shop.  Race wheels, Power Tap, compact crank, new 11/28 SRAM rear cassette.  I ought to be able to climb a barn with that set up.  I'll be doing a long organized ride on Saturday at 75% and 18 mph plus.   Course takes us along a river valley so very hilly...some steep grades, some long gradual ones.  Looking forward to it.

Swim = 2 X.  One endurance 2500 yards and today 2200 yards of speed drills pushed by the coach with 30 secs between intervals.  100s, 400s, 50s. 

All good.

2011-07-07 9:10 AM

User image

Veteran
Bradford, PA

To go along with my reply to Adam above...

I was talking to a fellow triathlete about my race on Saturday. (He raced it as well) I told him that I must have been pretty wasted after the swim because I just didn't have the pep in my legs for the bike and run that I was expecting to have.

He told me to slow down on the swim.

My thought was "I don't think so....I just need to get better, stronger, faster at the swim."

I did my longest swim workout of the year this morning. More to come.

2011-07-07 9:13 AM
in reply to: #3584465

User image

Veteran
Bradford, PA
IceManScott - 2011-07-07 10:07 AM

Checking in:

On vacation so getting some workouts in.  Ran 21 miles this week, two 5 milers and a 11 miler and will run after a century (or near century) on Saturday.   One of the 5 milers was a club race.  PR'd. 9:06 pace.  Great for me. The long runs are slow, but they are supposed to be a pace I can maintain to avoid walking.  They are coming along.  Big kick for a guy who was 400 pounds 5 years ago unable to walk up a flight of stairs without dying to be able to kiss the wife and say, "I'm going running for 2 hours," and come home still standing without stopping but briefly to refill my water bottles.

Got the bike back from the shop.  Race wheels, Power Tap, compact crank, new 11/28 SRAM rear cassette.  I ought to be able to climb a barn with that set up.  I'll be doing a long organized ride on Saturday at 75% and 18 mph plus.   Course takes us along a river valley so very hilly...some steep grades, some long gradual ones.  Looking forward to it.

Swim = 2 X.  One endurance 2500 yards and today 2200 yards of speed drills pushed by the coach with 30 secs between intervals.  100s, 400s, 50s. 

All good.

Great work Ice! Unbelievable weight loss!! I'm down 33# in 18 months.

2011-07-07 9:18 AM
in reply to: #3583584

User image

Extreme Veteran
Normal, Ill.
acv - 2011-07-06 3:18 PM

At times I feel I’m experienced and times I know I’m not experienced. The reality is this is only my 4th triathlon and only my 3rd season of doing tri’s – if you can count the first season as a season. Which is debatable.

This year I’m more fatigued than last year and I’m having doubts about my training and my goals. Each year my anxiety levels go up before a race and this time it’s happening again.

How do you keep it all in check? I realize this is a hobby but I want to beat last year’s time and I think some of my family will be at the race for a little added pressure to do well.

Does it get easier with more race experience? 

Ever notice how the emotional and physical feeling we associate with nervousness or anxiety can be interpreted in another way?  Excitement!  They are the same physically.  It is only the mental stamp we put on the feelings that make it something positive or negative. And we can change the way we think about things.  

- Positive affirmations.  Tell myself that I am strong, I trained for this day, I am ready.  Repeat these over and over.

- Meditation.  Practice mindful nothingness.  Use one word like strong, patience, alive...and drop it into my mind when it starts to get wrapped up in the testosterone and the nervousness around me. Yoga helps ALOT after workouts.

- I also wear ear plugs to shield my brain from cold water but also to filter out all the noise, smack talk, nerves of other people and that damn loud crappy music they play before hand.  I think positive words and thoughts, picture myself in the water, and breathe deep!     

- Expect problems.  Prepare the best you can to avoid bike trouble or nutrition issues...make a race plan...write it out...but expect that thing will go haywire and make it FUN to figure out how to meet them...It's all part of the challenge.  The longer you race, the more can happen.   When I rode the Wisconsin loop twice the first time a couple of weeks ago, the LBS has totally screwed my derailleur, which I found out on the first hard climb. I had to do 80 miles on the course that is considered among the hardest in Ironman in my big ring all the way.  I embraced the problem, loved the course, had a great time and came away knowing I can do it. 

Terri Schneider wrote a book about early triathlons and the mental part.  Really important.  Some people thrive on all the noise and confusion.  Some like me would rather isolate and think about the race to come in a positive way.   Goodle her name.  It is a great book. 

Your family and support group will love you even if you bonk, which you won't, or if you have a mechanical on the bike or whatever. 

This is FUN.  I know there is a lot of self-pressure we put on ourselves.  But the key there is that it is "self" pressure.  We put it there, we can do something to relieve it.

2011-07-07 9:32 AM
in reply to: #3583584

User image

Pro
Canandaigua NY
acv - 2011-07-06 4:18 PM

At times I feel I’m experienced and times I know I’m not experienced. The reality is this is only my 4th triathlon and only my 3rd season of doing tri’s – if you can count the first season as a season. Which is debatable.

This year I’m more fatigued than last year and I’m having doubts about my training and my goals. Each year my anxiety levels go up before a race and this time it’s happening again.

How do you keep it all in check? I realize this is a hobby but I want to beat last year’s time and I think some of my family will be at the race for a little added pressure to do well.

It's funny for me as I cannot remember a race that I have gotten nervous at other than the 2 IM's.  Most of the nerves there were about the mass swim start and potential race ending contact (a local coach got knocked out of IM Lake Placid a couple of years ago due to a concussion). 

I guess I realize I have done the work and odds are unless something beyond my control happens I am going to finish.  And since I am solidly middle of the pack (starting to move towards the front of the MOP!) I know I am probably not going to win.  So my only expectations are from me and only I can answer for those.

But to answer your question, it does get a little easier with experience.  Occasionally my blog title or in the dasboard I will post the phrase "Trust the plan".  Training plans have peak volume weeks, recovery weeks, and tapers.  I think most peoples anxiety comes from not beleiving in their training and that they have done enough.  For some this may be true if they skip a lot of workouts or don't follow a plan.  But for most, it is simply self doubt creeping in on whether enough work has been done. 

Hang in there!  Once the gun goes off, those feelings will all be replaced with excitement (like Ice pointed out!)
2011-07-07 9:37 AM
in reply to: #3584459

User image

Pro
Canandaigua NY
Trout - 2011-07-07 10:05 AM

shake-n-bake - 2011-07-06 9:41 PM On a race week plan this week, somewhat of a taper before Chattanooga Waterfront this weekend.. Having a issue uploading workouts to training log, it finds the device and when I hit get data it goes through the motion but no workouts ever show up, any suggestions on what to do???

I don't do the upload, but I did hear/read that there were some issues recently with the training log.

I heard the same thing.  I haven't ever had a problem loading a plan off the site.  I have imported several now and even that goes fairly trouble free. 

Marmadaddy is a friend of mine and if you still have troubles post again and I can forward it to him to take a look at.  Also, I know he would respond as quickly as possible if you sent him a PM or posted it in the site help forum.

2011-07-07 9:40 AM
in reply to: #3584465

User image

Pro
Canandaigua NY
IceManScott - 2011-07-07 10:07 AM

Checking in:

All good.

Great work on vacation!  I have an 11/28 coming for my new bike to replace the 11/23 that came with it. 

Although I haven't lost quite as much as you (285 to 183 ish) I know and can appreciate the feeling you are refering to!  It is awesome isn't it!  I get asked a lot about knee pain etc. when discussing running with people that don't.  My usual response is "after resting them for 20 some years on the couch, my knees are in pretty good shape".

Great reply in response to Adam's post as well Ice!

Enjoy the rest of your vacation!!
2011-07-07 12:44 PM
in reply to: #3584501

User image

Veteran
Long Island, NY
IceManScott - 2011-07-07 10:18 AM
acv - 2011-07-06 3:18 PM

Ever notice how the emotional and physical feeling we associate with nervousness or anxiety can be interpreted in another way?  Excitement!  They are the same physically.  It is only the mental stamp we put on the feelings that make it something positive or negative. And we can change the way we think about things.  

- Positive affirmations.  Tell myself that I am strong, I trained for this day, I am ready.  Repeat these over and over.

- Meditation.  Practice mindful nothingness.  Use one word like strong, patience, alive...and drop it into my mind when it starts to get wrapped up in the testosterone and the nervousness around me. Yoga helps ALOT after workouts.

- I also wear ear plugs to shield my brain from cold water but also to filter out all the noise, smack talk, nerves of other people and that damn loud crappy music they play before hand.  I think positive words and thoughts, picture myself in the water, and breathe deep!     

- Expect problems.  Prepare the best you can to avoid bike trouble or nutrition issues...make a race plan...write it out...but expect that thing will go haywire and make it FUN to figure out how to meet them...It's all part of the challenge.  The longer you race, the more can happen.   When I rode the Wisconsin loop twice the first time a couple of weeks ago, the LBS has totally screwed my derailleur, which I found out on the first hard climb. I had to do 80 miles on the course that is considered among the hardest in Ironman in my big ring all the way.  I embraced the problem, loved the course, had a great time and came away knowing I can do it. 

Terri Schneider wrote a book about early triathlons and the mental part.  Really important.  Some people thrive on all the noise and confusion.  Some like me would rather isolate and think about the race to come in a positive way.   Goodle her name.  It is a great book. 

Your family and support group will love you even if you bonk, which you won't, or if you have a mechanical on the bike or whatever. 

This is FUN.  I know there is a lot of self-pressure we put on ourselves.  But the key there is that it is "self" pressure.  We put it there, we can do something to relieve it.

Thanks for the insight!

2011-07-07 1:19 PM

User image

Pro
Houston

Scott made some great points. I was pretty nervous for my HIM but I think part of that was injury related.

Go out, have fun, cheer people on, thank the volunteers and SMILE Laughing

2011-07-07 3:50 PM

User image

Toronto-ish

Just back from a week long trip to NY city - no running and not much swimming but LOTS of walking and some colourful rides around town.

Sounds like folks have been doing some fantastic things!!!

Well done Steve on that race. Next stop: podium.

2011-07-07 8:55 PM
in reply to: #3584539

User image

Veteran
Georgia
kenj - 2011-07-07 10:37 AM

shake-n-bake - 2011-07-06 9:41 PM On a race week plan this week, somewhat of a taper before Chattanooga Waterfront this weekend.. Having a issue uploading workouts to training log, it finds the device and when I hit get data it goes through the motion but no workouts ever show up, any suggestions on what to do???

I don't do the upload, but I did hear/read that there were some issues recently with the training log.

I heard the same thing.  I haven't ever had a problem loading a plan off the site.  I have imported several now and even that goes fairly trouble free. 

Marmadaddy is a friend of mine and if you still have troubles post again and I can forward it to him to take a look at.  Also, I know he would respond as quickly as possible if you sent him a PM or posted it in the site help forum.

Kenj what I forgot to write it is uploading workouts from my Garmin 310xt.. Have no problems with workout plans from this site..

Edited by shake-n-bake 2011-07-07 9:51 PM

2011-07-08 9:53 AM
in reply to: #3585760

User image

Pro
Canandaigua NY
shake-n-bake - 2011-07-07 9:55 PM
kenj - 2011-07-07 10:37 AM

Kenj what I forgot to write it is uploading workouts from my Garmin 310xt.. Have no problems with workout plans from this site..

I got it.  Here is a link to an article on how to do it if you haven't seen it already.  Although it was written before the 310 came out, it still aplies.  My advice above would still apply if you cant get it to upload properly.  One thing that I learned is that every now and then you have to get rid of the old .tcx files on you computer as that is where the Garmin data is stored on your PC and where BT gets it for your logs.  If you don't clean them out it takes for ever to find the data and sometimes it just locks up.  I can usually tell its time just by how long it takes.

Let me know how this works!
2011-07-08 9:54 AM
in reply to: #3585319

User image

Pro
Canandaigua NY
marvintpa - 2011-07-07 4:50 PM

Just back from a week long trip to NY city - no running and not much swimming but LOTS of walking and some colourful rides around town.

Sounds like folks have been doing some fantastic things!!!

Well done Steve on that race. Next stop: podium.

Did you meet the naked cowboy?
2011-07-08 9:55 AM

User image

Toronto-ish
Tragically he must have been off that day.
2011-07-08 9:58 AM

User image

Pro
Canandaigua NY
Finally got the camera and the computer to talk to each other so here is a couple pictures of the new bike, one alone and one with my road bike.

2011-07-08 10:44 AM

User image

Veteran
Bradford, PA
Jealous!!

2011-07-08 10:50 AM

User image

Toronto-ish
2011-07-08 2:15 PM

User image

Pro
Houston
That is one sexy bike you have there Ken.
2011-07-08 2:26 PM

User image

Regular
Connecticut

Wow!  Fancy bike, ken!

I will have to take a pic of my bike this weekend so everyone can have a good laugh.

Sunday, I am going to attempt to get up early (6ish) so I can run 7 miles and get back early enough so my hubs can then go for a bike ride.  (We can't go at the same time b/c of our toddler... and I am NOT pushing him in a jogger for 7 miles... makes me want to cry jsut thinking about it).  So, yeah... I am going to need some luck for getting up early... esp. on a Sunday.  NOT a morning person.

2011-07-08 2:29 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Normal, Ill.
Sweet!  Just got mine out and test rode it with the wireless Powertap and race wheels Bontrager Aerolus 5.0s I got off ebay with the SRAM Red compact crank I bought from a friend. Awesome ride.
2011-07-08 2:40 PM
in reply to: #3587042

User image

Pro
Canandaigua NY
IceManScott - 2011-07-08 3:29 PM Sweet!  Just got mine out and test rode it with the wireless Powertap and race wheels Bontrager Aerolus 5.0s I got off ebay with the SRAM Red compact crank I bought from a friend. Awesome ride.

Thanks everyone! 

So far so good, although I am still waiting for the 11-28 casette I ordered to get here.  It comes with the 11 - 23 with standard cranks. 

Enjoy your ride Ice!  The bike came with those same wheels.  Right now my power tap is in in the HED wheel on the bike so I am only using the Bontragger on the front.  They are nice wheels though!

2011-07-08 2:41 PM

User image

Pro
Canandaigua NY
I beleive we have several people racing this weekend.

Adam, Julie and Kathleen are.  Is anyone else that I missed?

Good luck to all of you that are!
2011-07-08 2:42 PM

User image

Toronto-ish

Best of luck to all the racers!!!

Looking forward to hearing about it.

2011-07-08 4:18 PM

User image

Expert
Chugiak, Alaska

Nice Bike Ken!!!!

Thanks for the pearls of wisdom Ice!

Just drove the bike course I will be doing on Sunday. It has some very BIG hills - long and steep.  I have trained for these, but never have done them in a race. Just need to ride smart. It will be interesting to see the carnage though!

Also the water temp "never exceeds 62 degrees" looks like another cold swim!

Good luck to everyone racing this weekend!!!!

2011-07-08 4:21 PM
in reply to: #3587283

User image

Pro
Canandaigua NY
robingray_260 - 2011-07-08 5:18 PM

Nice Bike Ken!!!!

Thanks for the pearls of wisdom Ice!

Just drove the bike course I will be doing on Sunday. It has some very BIG hills - long and steep.  I have trained for these, but never have done them in a race. Just need to ride smart. It will be interesting to see the carnage though!

Also the water temp "never exceeds 62 degrees" looks like another cold swim!

Good luck to everyone racing this weekend!!!!

I knew you were racing too Robin and neglected to mention it!  My apologies and of course good luck and have a great time!
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » kenj's group closed, training hard and having fun!! Rss Feed  

of 72