BT Development Mentor Program Archives » jsiegs and slornow's Train Hard and Have Fun group - CLOSED for Training Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 56

2011-08-08 8:47 AM
in reply to: #3633604

User image

Extreme Veteran
Edmonds
Subject: RE: jsiegs and slornow's Train Hard and Have Fun group - CLOSED for Training
khharms - 2011-08-08 8:43 AM
cbrookhart - 2011-08-07 6:56 PM

I was talking to my 4 year old about my race next weekend. She said "The people in the front always seem to win.  You should just get in the front, then you could win."  She went on to tell me the spirt of winning was in my heart   Kids are funny.  But I did think i should pass along the advice....If you want to win...be in the front.

Christy

I love it! She is right, the spirit of winning IS in your heart.

I think she's watching too many Disney movies

2011-08-08 8:54 AM
in reply to: #3632584

User image

Veteran
Katy, TX
Subject: RE: jsiegs and slornow's Train Hard and Have Fun group - CLOSED for Training

slornow - 2011-08-07 11:28 AM Hey gang...hope everyone is having a good weekend.

Wow has it been hot here.  Two hour interval ride yesterday starting at 7am followed by an hour of yard work....all that resulted in a worthless afternoon of laying on the couch watching TV.

Long run this morning.  Legs were really heavy.  Slow pace but still tough.  Planning a repeat of yesterday afternoon's activity.

What's everyone up to? 

Randy 

I had a great weekend. Sunday I did a run, and may have FINALLY broke a running barrier! It could be that I'm closing in on race day, it could be that I'm more prepared today than I was 5 months ago, it could be that I'm getting stronger. What ever it is, I could care less. I finally FINALLY ran a 5K without stopping. Even better, I could have kept going!

I don't know what it is about running, but I just go no where. I really do want to become a better runner. I've stepped up my running a little - if I actually GO to my Tri Training class, I'd be running 3 days a week (ahem!) but I've added another day, and I really think it's helped. It's also helped that I am part of a small group that are on the same running level as me. Either way, I'm really happy with my progress. If I don't end up pregnant in November, I just may sign up for a half marathon in December. And that, is crazy talk, lol!

2011-08-08 8:55 AM
in reply to: #3633615

User image

Veteran
Katy, TX
cbrookhart - 2011-08-08 8:47 AM
khharms - 2011-08-08 8:43 AM
cbrookhart - 2011-08-07 6:56 PM

I was talking to my 4 year old about my race next weekend. She said "The people in the front always seem to win.  You should just get in the front, then you could win."  She went on to tell me the spirt of winning was in my heart   Kids are funny.  But I did think i should pass along the advice....If you want to win...be in the front.

Christy

I love it! She is right, the spirit of winning IS in your heart.

I think she's watching too many Disney movies

LOL!!

2011-08-08 8:56 AM
in reply to: #3633074

User image

Veteran
Katy, TX

MattCan - 2011-08-07 8:00 PM Finished my third half ironman this morning. It was a tough day but I gutted it out and am pretty happy with my race even though the result wasn't as good as I had hoped for. I wasn't feeling that good this morning and barfed about halfway through the swim, swished my mouth with lake water and kept on going haha I had a great bike ride, and was one minute under my bike PR at mile 56 but for some reason the race directors measured the course wrong and we rode another 4 miles. The 86 degree weather with very little shade made for a tough run. I stayed tough though and managed to only walk through the aid stations. My body isn't to thrilled with my efforts right now but I am satisfied I will post a full race report later once they post results on the website. Hope everyone had a good Sunday!

Wow Matt! Tough conditions, can't wait to read the rest of it!

2011-08-08 9:38 AM
in reply to: #3435676

User image

Veteran
Oak Park

Matt - congratulations on your half-Ironman! Can't wait to read your race report! 

Karla- Keep at the running. Speed will come with time. Consistency is key. You have already started to see gains and there are certainly more to come! It sounds crazy, but there will come a time when a 5K is nothing to you. With running, the more you put into it, the more you get out of it. I have found over the years that adding tempo runs, interval training and speedwork are fabulous ways to increase your pace, but I have also found that the 'base building' aspect of running is much more important and takes far longer than most people give it credit for. Particularly for women. So keep consistent. Happy to give you tips if you need them. My first 5K I think I was doing like 11:30 minute miles -- and it was TOUGH, horribly tough and uncomfortable and awful. Now, more than 5 years later, my 5K record is 8.40 minute miles and I can do a sub-30 race most days with a week or 2 of training. I'll never be a speed demon, but it's fun to beat your personal best time and time again. And if you ever feel like you're not progressing with speed, you can always increase the distance and set a new PR in a different distance! LOL.

Just curious, I wonder how many races our little group has done collectively since we started 'training' together virtually? I think I have done 4: 3 running races and an Olympic tri. So far it's been: a new 5K PR, a new distance PR, and a new triathlon distance. Thanks everyone for the motivation!

2011-08-08 5:34 PM
in reply to: #3633737

User image

Veteran
Katy, TX
nmladic - 2011-08-08 9:38 AM

Matt - congratulations on your half-Ironman! Can't wait to read your race report! 

Karla- Keep at the running. Speed will come with time. Consistency is key. You have already started to see gains and there are certainly more to come! It sounds crazy, but there will come a time when a 5K is nothing to you. With running, the more you put into it, the more you get out of it. I have found over the years that adding tempo runs, interval training and speedwork are fabulous ways to increase your pace, but I have also found that the 'base building' aspect of running is much more important and takes far longer than most people give it credit for. Particularly for women. So keep consistent. Happy to give you tips if you need them. My first 5K I think I was doing like 11:30 minute miles -- and it was TOUGH, horribly tough and uncomfortable and awful. Now, more than 5 years later, my 5K record is 8.40 minute miles and I can do a sub-30 race most days with a week or 2 of training. I'll never be a speed demon, but it's fun to beat your personal best time and time again. And if you ever feel like you're not progressing with speed, you can always increase the distance and set a new PR in a different distance! LOL.

Just curious, I wonder how many races our little group has done collectively since we started 'training' together virtually? I think I have done 4: 3 running races and an Olympic tri. So far it's been: a new 5K PR, a new distance PR, and a new triathlon distance. Thanks everyone for the motivation!

Thanks for the tips Nicole! I'm curious to see what my race pace is on Sunday for the run. Last time my pace was 12:11, I am hoping to be 11:30, I would be REALLY happy with that.

You may not be happy with an 8:30 mile, but that is certainly a speed demon to me!! I can only hope to be that pace some day.

Races so far: 1, lol!

Races left: 3, maybe 4 - 2 Tri's, 1 5k, maybe 1 Half Marathon <-- if I do that, I'm adding the 13.1 sticker to my car, ha!

2011-08-08 8:14 PM

User image

Master
South Alabama
Karla-good work on the running.  Most important thing for me in running is to not overdo it.  Be happy with gradual progress.  Continue to build on what you have accomplished so far.  You are going to do great this weekend!

Not sure when our group started..too lazy to check.  I have done 5 triathlons since April 1.  3 Sprints and 2 Olympic distance as well as one 5k running race.  I suspect I will do 2-3 more this Fall...likely sprints but maybe an Olympic or HIM late in the year.  I have really enjoyed the group.  Sorry that we seem to have lost so many folks early on but we have a really good core group that have been great and supportive!

I know that Karla trains some with a TRI group but what about everyone else?  Train alone, train with friends/others or some of both?  I do almost all of my training alone.  Occasional runs with a buddy but other than that its just me.  I like that when I'm really training for a specific race as the workouts are a little more tailored to  race prep. But, right now when I am just in "maintenance mode" it would be nice to have a regular training partner.  Over the weekend ran into a guy that lives just up the road who is training for IM Florida.  Told him I would be glad to keep him company on long runs or rides....might be interesting to see what IM training is like...will see if our schedules allow it to work out.         

Since I don't have any specific races lined up I am looking more long term and trying to hit some specific training goals for the year.  Goals are-1000 miles running; 5000-5500 miles biking and 250,000 yards swimming.  Right now I'm ahead of the pace needed to hit those numbers...a little light on the running but should be ok as long as I stay healthy. 

Randy
2011-08-08 9:51 PM

User image

Veteran
Oak Park

Randy - Ditto on the advice not to overdo it. Rest and recovery are just as important as the actual running! Slow and steady. I really like how Danny Dryer talks about running as a "practice" vs. a competition (like yoga). His philosophy has really changed the way I think about running.

I train by myself most days because I am the only "night" exerciser I know. On the weekends I can occasionally wrangle my boyfriend to bike with me and I also went swimming with another triathlete friend, but I'm mostly solo.  There are a few training groups that I can ride/run with around here but I can't seem to get on their schedule.

For that reason, this group is all the more important to me. It's my one outlet where I can share my successes and challenges, and talk about my workouts without feeling like I'm bothering people. It's nice to have such a great group of people facing the same sorts of scheduling issues and motivation issues, with similar questions as me. (You guys are the best!)

I DO wish there were more Midwesterners in the group though. It would be fun to actually meet some of you in person one day and race together!

2011-08-08 11:51 PM

User image

Regular
Carmichael

Here is my race report, hope you enjoy!

http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=264156

Edited by MattCan 2011-08-09 12:06 AM
2011-08-09 12:48 PM
in reply to: #3635188

User image

Veteran
Oak Park
MattCan - 2011-08-08 11:51 PM

Here is my race report, hope you enjoy!

http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=264156

Matt you are a rock star! I can't believe you did the whole thing on a sick stomach. That would have been enough to make me turn around. And I would be TOTALLY PISSED about the course being mis-measured -- the swim is bad enough without adding on extra distance (IMHO). But you rocked it. Congrats. I hope you're taking some time this week to recover and celebrate your accomplishment!

2011-08-09 8:54 PM
in reply to: #3636028

User image

Veteran
Katy, TX

I really need some major support here - The swim portion of my race on Sunday is cancelled, so they will do a 1 mile run in place of the swim.

We are in the worst drought in 50 years and the Lake we were swimming in is where Houston gets our drinking water from. The portion we swim in is deemed unsafe and too low for swimming - the lake itself is 7 feet below normal, and apparently there is a ton of clam shells, fish hooks etc and the water level over 100 ft was only ankle deep.

For some reason I had a tiny feeling this was going to happen, but I am not prepared for this!

Any tips or advice from those who have done this before?

2011-08-09 10:00 PM
in reply to: #3636898

User image

Veteran
Oak Park
khharms - 2011-08-09 8:54 PM

I really need some major support here - The swim portion of my race on Sunday is cancelled, so they will do a 1 mile run in place of the swim.

We are in the worst drought in 50 years and the Lake we were swimming in is where Houston gets our drinking water from. The portion we swim in is deemed unsafe and too low for swimming - the lake itself is 7 feet below normal, and apparently there is a ton of clam shells, fish hooks etc and the water level over 100 ft was only ankle deep.

For some reason I had a tiny feeling this was going to happen, but I am not prepared for this!

What are the distances for the rest of the race?

2011-08-09 10:03 PM
in reply to: #3636978

User image

Veteran
Katy, TX
nmladic - 2011-08-09 10:00 PM
khharms - 2011-08-09 8:54 PM

What are the distances for the rest of the race?

1 mile run, 11 mile bike, 3 mile run - the GOOD news is, I can wear my bike shorts! I'm not used to the crazy hard bike saddle!

2011-08-09 10:12 PM
in reply to: #3636982

User image

Veteran
Oak Park
khharms - 2011-08-09 10:03 PM

1 mile run, 11 mile bike, 3 mile run - the GOOD news is, I can wear my bike shorts! I'm not used to the crazy hard bike saddle!

I just looked at your logs. You can TOTALLY do this. It's just about 12 more minutes of running in your day than you planned for. And, since you've been running like 45 mins at a time, this will be cake for you! Plus, the thrill of the day will carry you and make it a little easier than your standard training run.

For me, thinking about each of the legs separately REALLY helps me 'digest' the triathlon. Would it help you at all mentally to think of the first 12 minutes as a warm-up for your bike ride and longer run? 

I really think you got this.  I have total confidence in your abilities! Take it easy for that first mile, pace yourself, and hang on for a little bit. Then, all you have to do is the rest of the race that you already prepared for! You are going to do great!

Separately, it's totally crazy about your lake. Wow. I hope it gets cooler and wetter down there for you guys soon. We just had our first good night in ages here.  I was so thankful. 

2011-08-09 10:25 PM
in reply to: #3636997

User image

Veteran
Katy, TX
nmladic - 2011-08-09 10:12 PM
khharms - 2011-08-09 10:03 PM

I just looked at your logs. You can TOTALLY do this. It's just about 12 more minutes of running in your day than you planned for. And, since you've been running like 45 mins at a time, this will be cake for you! Plus, the thrill of the day will carry you and make it a little easier than your standard training run.

For me, thinking about each of the legs separately REALLY helps me 'digest' the triathlon. Would it help you at all mentally to think of the first 12 minutes as a warm-up for your bike ride and longer run? 

I really think you got this.  I have total confidence in your abilities! Take it easy for that first mile, pace yourself, and hang on for a little bit. Then, all you have to do is the rest of the race that you already prepared for! You are going to do great!

Separately, it's totally crazy about your lake. Wow. I hope it gets cooler and wetter down there for you guys soon. We just had our first good night in ages here.  I was so thankful. 

Thanks Nicole! I didn't really think about breaking it down, time-wise. I was just thinking I should use it as a warm-up, the only thing I fear is going out too fast! I'm known for doing that, starting too hard and dying out at the end!

A lot of people are in uproar about cancelling the swim, I say, suck it up! lol! It will definitely be a test of endurance!

Thanks again, I really needed the 'push'!

2011-08-09 11:24 PM

User image

Regular
Carmichael

Thanks Nicole! I am definitely taking it easy. Still feeling a little under the weather and definitely sore but recovering. I am taking a week off and then will do a couple local 5K's and another cycling race. Would like to possibly do a dualthlon at the end of August before school starts. Once school hits my training is definitely going to go down. 

@khharms- you got this for sure! Me personally I would be pumped to not have a swim Just stay focused on the pace you know you can run. The last mile of the race and that finish line and crowds will pull you in! Good luck and let us know how it goes.

2011-08-10 8:06 AM

User image

Master
South Alabama
Karla-you will be fine!  I agree with Nicole...use the first mile to warm up and work your way into the race.  You will be pumped up and a "fast" pace will feel easy but be careful.  You will probably want to go easir than you think you should in that first mile.  Definitely dont push past your "moderate run pace".  You have really picked up your bike work/mileage over the last month+ and I think you will feel the advantage of that training during your ride.  You will likely be able to maintain a faster speed with less effort.  Just remember there is another run so don't overcook it on the bike.  It will be hot so try to get some fluids/electrolytes in while on the bike.  Try to stop drinking on the bike with about 5-10 minutes left on that leg so you will not have stuff sloshing in your stomach during the run.  For the second run try to break it up.  Assuming they have water stations at each mile try to maintain a steady easy pace to the first station as you get your running legs back. Walk through the aid station get a swig of water/gatorade and dump some cold water over your head.  Get going again to the next aid station and repeat.  If you are feeling good try to skip the 2 mile aid station and push through that last mile to the finish.  Last quarter to half mile push it and leave it all out on the course.

Most folks (been there) start out too hard on the 1st run and the 2nd run as well.  Especially on the second run work your way into a comfortable pace in that first mile.  Try to maintain it through 2.5 mile +/- and then give it all that you have left.

Trust your training.  You have been running and riding these distances (and more) during your training.  Your body is ready...don't let doubt hold you back.  Be smart during that first run and you will be rocking it at the finish.

Randy

Edited by slornow 2011-08-10 8:13 AM
2011-08-10 11:15 AM
in reply to: #3637249

User image

Veteran
Katy, TX

slornow - 2011-08-10 8:06 AM Karla-you will be fine!  I agree with Nicole...use the first mile to warm up and work your way into the race.  You will be pumped up and a "fast" pace will feel easy but be careful.  You will probably want to go easir than you think you should in that first mile.  Definitely dont push past your "moderate run pace".  You have really picked up your bike work/mileage over the last month+ and I think you will feel the advantage of that training during your ride.  You will likely be able to maintain a faster speed with less effort.  Just remember there is another run so don't overcook it on the bike.  It will be hot so try to get some fluids/electrolytes in while on the bike.  Try to stop drinking on the bike with about 5-10 minutes left on that leg so you will not have stuff sloshing in your stomach during the run.  For the second run try to break it up.  Assuming they have water stations at each mile try to maintain a steady easy pace to the first station as you get your running legs back. Walk through the aid station get a swig of water/gatorade and dump some cold water over your head.  Get going again to the next aid station and repeat.  If you are feeling good try to skip the 2 mile aid station and push through that last mile to the finish.  Last quarter to half mile push it and leave it all out on the course.

Most folks (been there) start out too hard on the 1st run and the 2nd run as well.  Especially on the second run work your way into a comfortable pace in that first mile.  Try to maintain it through 2.5 mile +/- and then give it all that you have left.

Trust your training.  You have been running and riding these distances (and more) during your training.  Your body is ready...don't let doubt hold you back.  Be smart during that first run and you will be rocking it at the finish.

Randy

Thanks Matt and Randy!!

I'm not comfortable yet with grabbing water on the bike while in motion. I will have my G2 in transition, so I'll grab that and probably run with it. I think you are right, I'll use the first mile as my warm up, then I can really pace on the 3 mile. Besides, that's what I've been training for - the 3 miles! I'm still hoping to pace 11:30/mile.

Side question - I went for a run this morning, wanted to do 2 miles, but only ended up doing 1.5 - which is fine. My legs felt very tired and heavy - should I take tomorrow off from spin and maybe get a walk in tomorrow evening or Friday.. or just rest all together? I'm going to grab some epsom salt today and see if that helps tonight. I don't want to over do it, any thoughts?

2011-08-10 12:29 PM

User image

Master
South Alabama
Karla-would be good to get some fluids in during the bike leg.  Its easy...just stop pedaling, sit up and take a swig.  Don't worry about it taking a few seconds.  Just take your time and you will get the hang of it.

I'm a big believer in active recovery.  An easy spin or walk will likely make your legs feel much better.  I did a long run Sunday followed by a treadmill run early Monday morning....my legs felt so heavy/dead all day Monday.  I did an easy spin for an hour on the bike Monday evening and they felt so much better after that.  Don't do anything too long and hard but some activity is a good thing in my opinion.

Randy 

Edited by slornow 2011-08-10 12:42 PM
2011-08-11 8:59 AM

User image

Veteran
Oak Park
Morning! I have a 3 mile run and strength training tonight. And you guys? It's absolutely BEAUTIFUL here right now. 70's and low humidity. I can't tell you how excited I am to run tonight.
2011-08-11 10:12 AM
in reply to: #3638998

User image

Master
South Alabama
nmladic - 2011-08-11 8:59 AM Morning! I have a 3 mile run and strength training tonight. And you guys? It's absolutely BEAUTIFUL here right now. 70's and low humidity. I can't tell you how excited I am to run tonight.

LUCKY!!! 89 with a 103 heat index right now. Hope to do a short swim at lunch then an hour of intervals on the bike with possibly a short run off the bike depending on how the legs feel.

Randy   

2011-08-11 2:24 PM

User image

Regular
Carmichael
So my high school alumni association hosts a 5K/10K fun run every year on alumni weekend and I was asked to be race director for this coming year. The race has had a pretty small turnout in the past 2 years that they have done it (30-40 people) but they are looking to grow it a little more and help build up the endowment for the school. So my question for you guys are what things would make you want to sign up for a 5K/10K? Also what things do you think are essential for running a good race? 
2011-08-11 10:07 PM
in reply to: #3639763

User image

Veteran
Oak Park

MattCan - 2011-08-11 2:24 PM So my high school alumni association hosts a 5K/10K fun run every year on alumni weekend and I was asked to be race director for this coming year. The race has had a pretty small turnout in the past 2 years that they have done it (30-40 people) but they are looking to grow it a little more and help build up the endowment for the school. So my question for you guys are what things would make you want to sign up for a 5K/10K? Also what things do you think are essential for running a good race? 

CLEARLY I am very superficial. I love a cool, unique race T-shirt and a goodie bag with more than just coupons. I have also been known to do 5Ks that have bands and/or seasonal beer at the end. That might be asking a lot for your group, though, LOL.

The local 5K in town here takes place at the high school and has a very "family friendly" reputation with athletic trainer-led stretches at the beginning, "walk" waves, and a nice pancake breakfast at the end. It's well-organized, always starts on time, and has lots of volunteers. All those elements make for a great local race. 

Maybe you can get the school's cheerleaders to come out on the course? Or the band? I've seen a few races with local high school clubs participating along the route and I always love that. Makes for a very festive atmosphere.

I'm a PR gal/event planner by profession so I could probably go on all day about this. But I won't, for all our sake!

2011-08-12 2:06 PM

User image

Master
South Alabama
Friday! Hope everyone is doing well.

Looks like we have 2 racers this weekend:

Speedy Karla on her new bike passing people like there is no tomorrow and Christy in the sequel to "Escape from West Virginia.....running from the hills"

Good luck Ladies!

What's everyone else doing?

Randy
2011-08-12 2:08 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Edmonds

I forgot I was still a memeber of this group!  I forgot I even did triathlons!  I'm not sure what has happened to me.  I'm hoping Sunday's race gets be back into things.  I haven't looked back to see what i've missed. I'll check it out soon. 

Good luck to anyone out there racing this weekend.

Christy

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » jsiegs and slornow's Train Hard and Have Fun group - CLOSED for Training Rss Feed  

of 56