of 84

2011-08-15 5:53 PM
in reply to: #3643517

User image

Master
Dallas
Subject: RE: Ernesto's group - CLOSED
sirgab - 2011-08-15 12:12 AM

ernestov - 2011-08-14 8:17 AM Gabe, starting a race at that time of the day in the brutal heat and humidity of Central America is inconsiderate to the athlete and plain ole dangerous! The hottest I raced a half was 92 in Puerto Rico and I thought I was dying during the run. I would try a race here in the US, let's do New Orleans together and I promise to do Cozumel with you.

Ernesto,

I like your proposal of doing the New Orleans 1/2 IM (on April 22, 2012) before shooting for the full IM in Cozumel on November 2012!  Anyone else interested in joining us for New Orleans 2012?  It looks like a fun one (and hopefully it won't be as hot as my tri yesterday!)

Separately, I finally made it to Guatemala City and here is the link to my race report:

http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/training/races-view-container.asp?raceid=189486

Now that my 1st 1/2 IM race is done, I now have to shift gears to speed up my training for the Chicago Marathon on October 9. Saludos to all!

Gabe,

New Orleans is one of the best races in the 70.3 circuit, with a flat bike and a flat run (although hot in the park, like upper 80s). The finish is incredible, the last three blocks are in the French Quarters and the finish chute is right across from Jackson Square, very historic place. I've never been greeted by so many people (and so drunk) in my entire life.

Think about it...

2011-08-17 6:26 PM
in reply to: #3436601

User image

Master
Dallas

Something cool to share with you guys: I got an email today from the administrators of this website, where they're letting me know of their appretiation for mentoring, they say I have done a really good job and gave me a six month gold membership as a token.

Pretty cool, huh? Just to let you know though, I have never pursued any interest other than making new friends and helping others with some of my humble experience in this passion that we share.

Thank you gang for being curious, motivated and tough athletes!

2011-08-17 6:45 PM
in reply to: #3648058

User image

Expert
Guatemala
ernestov - 2011-08-17 5:26 PM

Something cool to share with you guys: I got an email today from the administrators of this website, where they're letting me know of their appretiation for mentoring, they say I have done a really good job and gave me a six month gold membership as a token.

Pretty cool, huh? Just to let you know though, I have never pursued any interest other than making new friends and helping others with some of my humble experience in this passion that we share.

Ernesto,

Congratulations, that is great news and a very well deserved recognition from BT on our behalf!  Your support, insights and genuine friendship has been truly valuable and highly appreciated!  My recent finish of my 1st 1/2 IM a few days ago is a good proof that your advise and insights are right on (especially when I look back at my early days where I was pushing myself with very high HR readings and frequent colds, as I was over-training myself :-)  Gracias amigo and keep it up!

2011-08-17 8:26 PM

conggrats Gabe!!!

2011-08-17 8:29 PM

New swim coach changed my mechanics and it feels good ! Long bike on the beach saturday looking forward to it!!!

2011-08-17 10:26 PM

User image

Expert
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
ernestov - 2011-08-17 6:26 PM

You had a gold membership from me a long time ago ;-).  You have an uncanny way of breaking it down in the KISS method.  I always get exactly what I need when I need it.  You don't hold back, tell it like it is.  Congratulations on your recognition from BT.

2011-08-17 10:37 PM

User image

Master
Gold Coast Australia.

This is really cool Ernesto! Congratulations! And of course - thank you for all the time, work and a wealth of information you gave us.

2011-08-18 4:54 AM

User image

Maple Grove, MN

Gabe, congrats on the HIM.

Ernesto, congrats on the gold. Wel deserved.
2011-08-18 3:42 PM

User image

Master

Well, if you can get this stubborn dog to slow down and train better than you deserve some recognition - good job and thank you.

2011-08-18 10:15 PM

User image

Veteran
Chicago, Illinois

Thanks for all you do for us Ernesto! Gold well deserved.
2011-08-19 12:17 PM
in reply to: #3642099

El Paso
Subject: RE: 5K Completed
jdiis - 2011-08-13 12:42 PM

82 degrees at 8 am start on a 3.37 mi (they call it a 5k) course.  Nice overcast, so no sun to speak of.  257 people of all ages.  Race time clock was faster than mine.  I managed to capture 3rd place (out of 12) in my age group (50-59) and 80th overall.  I was 30 sec behind 2nd place and 1 min behind 1st.  I held an 8:57 pace, after starting out at 8:40 for the first half.  My goal was 9:00 or better, so I'm pretty pleased.  I can see progress and I think that's what this is all about.

Now what is that vdot thing, Ernesto?

Garmin connect has had some real issues on the uploads for over a week now.  I can't wait until they get it fixed so I can see my graphs!

2011-08-19 12:20 PM
in reply to: #3642099

El Paso
jdiis - 2011-08-13 12:42 PM

82 degrees at 8 am start on a 3.37 mi (they call it a 5k) course.  Nice overcast, so no sun to speak of.  257 people of all ages.  Race time clock was faster than mine.  I managed to capture 3rd place (out of 12) in my age group (50-59) and 80th overall.  I was 30 sec behind 2nd place and 1 min behind 1st.  I held an 8:57 pace, after starting out at 8:40 for the first half.  My goal was 9:00 or better, so I'm pretty pleased.  I can see progress and I think that's what this is all about.

Now what is that vdot thing, Ernesto?

Garmin connect has had some real issues on the uploads for over a week now.  I can't wait until they get it fixed so I can see my graphs!

Jakie!! Wow Woww!  podium finish! thats great congratulations !!  well deserve and earn!

Gabe! Great race man!  how about Cuernavaca for next year?

2011-08-19 5:17 PM

User image

Veteran
Colorado Springs

Greetings Everyone!!!

I feel like I have lost touch!!  The move took more time from my schedule than I ever thought possible.  The kids flew in 3 weeks ago and this was their first week of school, on top of Justin's football practices starting up.  I have still been training (almost exclusively running).  I Have my new bike.  It's a rode bike.  The hills here are to extreme and a tri bike would not be a wise investment at this time.  All things considered though, riding a bike that actually fits has been great!!!!!!  It's a Scott Contessa 25, I am very happy with it!  I have only rode 5-6 miles the 2 times I've gone out, and yes I'v already fallen (first time with clipless pedals).  I will go for a longer ride but there is no way around the hills.  What doesn't kill me will make me stronger.  I haven't gotten to the track yet but am looking at that on Sunday.  

Ernesto, if you get a chance can you look at my runs.  The links to Garmin have more data, a few times I didn't switch the sport mode on the watch so a few workouts are a little off.  As you know from facebook, I did a stair workout.  220ft incline of 310 stairs.....45%grade!  I was thinking of adding them once a week and starting up swims next week.  I'm sitting down this weekend to look at my goals for next year and a easy race soon.  

Miss everyone...

Jen

BTW..Jackie, that bike looks AWESOME!!!!!

2011-08-19 8:57 PM
in reply to: #3650796

User image

Veteran
Colorado Springs
Jackie--- Way to go lady!!!!  That is great!
2011-08-19 11:03 PM
in reply to: #3648081

User image

Veteran
Colorado Springs

Gabe- Congratulations on the 1/2.  I can't imagine in the heat.

Ernesto- You have been a tremendous influence and amazing mentor.  I hope to not lose contact with anyone from our forum.  You all are so wonderful!

Next Year-  I can only do summer break races.  Looking at Boulder HIM....(I want to do 2), as well as the Pikes Peak Ascent or Marathon...Just thinking right now....

2011-08-21 2:50 PM

User image

Maple Grove, MN
Hey all. Ran the Merrell Naked Foot 5k in Minneapolis yesterday. Small race (81 registered runners). But Merrell seems to be putting a lot of resources into it as part of trying to build up minimalist shoe running. Barefoot Ken Bob Saxton, one of the very early pioneers of the movement (he's run 77 marathons completely barefoot) was there signing books and gave a talk the night before. As was ultramarathoner Jason Robillard. who also has just written a book on barefoot running and is a consultant for Merrell on their barefoot shoe line. (Which is what I wear everyday to work and love.) Didn't talk to Ken Bob much, but talked to Jason a lot (he ran just in front of me during the race and put on a barefoot clinic afterward) and he just seems like a great guy.

As for the race, I finished in 20:57 officially, which is a PR for me (out of two. My other 5k was 21:07 this spring). I am pretty happy, given that I didn't taper and had already run 47 miles Sunday through Friday, although I was trying for 20:40 (or a 6:40 pace for 3.1 miles). My first mile was 6:40, but I couldn't keep that pace up. The next two were a 6:55 pace, and the last .1 I sprinted at a 5:19 pace. This really wasn't a PR course. It was flat and not hot (which is good) but the first mile was on grass, then we moved to an asphalt bike trail, and then a bit of very squishy grass again, then asphalt, then finally grass. I just run slower on grass, especially if the ground is soft.

Overall, I came in 5th. They didn't post the ages of the participants, but being the competitive jerk that I am, I used athlinks and/or google to try to figure out the ages of the four who beat me. I'm pretty sure all are under 35. Jason Robillard also beat me (he is in his mid thirties) but I guess he didn't officially register, since he isn't on the finisher list. Since there were no age group awards (only best male and female) I didn't officially win my age group, but if I get to define my age group as 40-49, I think I did. I think the key is to pick one's race carefully, avoiding those which attract fast runners!

Next Saturday is my sprint tri.

2011-08-21 3:06 PM

User image

Maple Grove, MN
Also,

Today was my "short" long run. (My plan alternates Sundays with long long runs, 16 miles, and short long runs, 10 miles, each done at about a minute slower than your marathon pace). I've been "practicing" taking in nutrition during my runs. Up to now, that has consisted of Gatorade every four miles. (Every two miles I take a drink of something, alternating between water and Gatorade). Today, decided to do that, and add dried blueberries and dried cherries. Seem to work ok, but chewing is a bit difficult. I really don't want to have to use Gu or any other weird product. What do you think of dried fruit coach?
2011-08-21 5:40 PM
in reply to: #3652674

User image

Veteran
Chicago, Illinois

older2533 - 2011-08-21 2:50 PMHey all. Ran the Merrell Naked Foot 5k in Minneapolis yesterday. Small race (81 registered runners). But Merrell seems to be putting a lot of resources into it as part of trying to build up minimalist shoe running. Barefoot Ken Bob Saxton, one of the very early pioneers of the movement (he's run 77 marathons completely barefoot) was there signing books and gave a talk the night before. As was ultramarathoner Jason Robillard. who also has just written a book on barefoot running and is a consultant for Merrell on their barefoot shoe line. (Which is what I wear everyday to work and love.) Didn't talk to Ken Bob much, but talked to Jason a lot (he ran just in front of me during the race and put on a barefoot clinic afterward) and he just seems like a great guy. As for the race, I finished in 20:57 officially, which is a PR for me (out of two. My other 5k was 21:07 this spring). I am pretty happy, given that I didn't taper and had already run 47 miles Sunday through Friday, although I was trying for 20:40 (or a 6:40 pace for 3.1 miles). My first mile was 6:40, but I couldn't keep that pace up. The next two were a 6:55 pace, and the last .1 I sprinted at a 5:19 pace. This really wasn't a PR course. It was flat and not hot (which is good) but the first mile was on grass, then we moved to an asphalt bike trail, and then a bit of very squishy grass again, then asphalt, then finally grass. I just run slower on grass, especially if the ground is soft. Overall, I came in 5th. They didn't post the ages of the participants, but being the competitive jerk that I am, I used athlinks and/or google to try to figure out the ages of the four who beat me. I'm pretty sure all are under 35. Jason Robillard also beat me (he is in his mid thirties) but I guess he didn't officially register, since he isn't on the finisher list. Since there were no age group awards (only best male and female) I didn't officially win my age group, but if I get to define my age group as 40-49, I think I did. I think the key is to pick one's race carefully, avoiding those which attract fast runners!Next Saturday is my sprint tri.

Very impressive in the midst of marathon training! Congrats!

Edited by baurryman 2011-08-21 5:42 PM
2011-08-21 8:01 PM
in reply to: #3652687

User image

Master
Dallas

older2533 - 2011-08-21 3:06 PM Also, Today was my "short" long run. (My plan alternates Sundays with long long runs, 16 miles, and short long runs, 10 miles, each done at about a minute slower than your marathon pace). I've been "practicing" taking in nutrition during my runs. Up to now, that has consisted of Gatorade every four miles. (Every two miles I take a drink of something, alternating between water and Gatorade). Today, decided to do that, and add dried blueberries and dried cherries. Seem to work ok, but chewing is a bit difficult. I really don't want to have to use Gu or any other weird product. What do you think of dried fruit coach?

First of all, congratulations on the 5K!!! that is an awesome time, and more if you consider the mileage you're putting in. As for the fuel, try eating cristalyzed ginger (get it at Whole Foods), it is a fast energizer, easy absorption and very, very gentle on your stomach. Easy to chew too. Another one should be gels or sport beans.

I've been following your progress, you are very promising for your first marathon and I'm sure you will do great, but don't disregard the need for fast calories, too much Gatorade will make you bloated and might cause flavor fatigue. As a rule of thumb, 250kCals minimum for a runner at your speed. You will need to train your gut for this, or you will get slushy and throw up, the long runs at marathon pace are the perfect scenario to rehearse race nutrition.

2011-08-21 8:07 PM

User image

Master
Dallas

Team, I'm sorry about the lapse out of the thread, this was a record breaking week for work, over 85 hours and a cancelled race that I was supposed to do today. During this whole week I only ran 33 minutes, no bike and no swim.

I bought another bike today though!! A friend sold me a Trek Madone 5.2 road bike for only $1.5K, the price is $3,250 so not a bad deal.

2011-08-22 8:35 AM
in reply to: #3652932

User image

Veteran
Colorado Springs

Ernesto-

Sorry to hear things are so hectic for you, Hopefully this will be a better week. 

Hope you enjoy your new bike!

2011-08-22 10:15 AM
in reply to: #3653352

User image

Master
Dallas
jenputnam - 2011-08-22 8:35 AM

Ernesto-

Sorry to hear things are so hectic for you, Hopefully this will be a better week. 

Hope you enjoy your new bike!

Thanks Jennie!

I took the day off today, very needed rest. I'm going to get my bike fit done and out for a ride to try out the new baby!! Glad to know you are enjoying your new place, Colorado must be so beautiful, I grew up in the mountains in Argentina and love it.

2011-08-22 12:10 PM

User image

Expert
Guatemala

Jackie, congrats on your 3rd place finish, sweet!

Chris, also congrats on your new PR, that is an awesome time (I don't think I can keep up at that pace for 1 minute yet Smile

Alfredo, I love Cuernavaca, when is the tri over there and are you planning on doing it?

Ernesto, sorry to hear about your hellish week, but glad that you more than made up for it by getting a cool new bike (the Madrone rocks and we want to see some pics!)

Barry, best of luck on the Chicago Tri this weekend, you are going to do very well and remember to enjoy it

On my side, I was exhausted last week after my tri, but had to switch gears and got 4 runs in to begin training for the Chicago Marathon which is just around the corner on October 9.  I will be running the Guatemala City 1/2 marathon this Sunday with the hopes of setting a new PR, since it is a flatter course and with better weather (Guatemala City is at 5000 ft above sea level, so the temperatures should be around 75-85 F).  It feels nice to reflect on the progress to date, since it was exactly a year ago that I started running to train for the Guatemala City 1/2 Marathon.

Hope everyone is doing well with their training/near term goals!

2011-08-23 4:01 PM

User image

Veteran
Colorado Springs

Set up my new training schedule with several days a week having 2 workouts.  Today I did a swim.  It's an indoor pool (25yard) here on base.  I felt like I haven't swam in a year.  It was a very easy workout.  100 wu (breathstroke) 200 freestyle easy, 100 kickboard, 100 cool down (breathstroke and freestyle).  It was tough!!!!  I am also going to do a spinerval recovery workout..  Nice and easy so that I can get used to 2 workouts without hurting myself.  

All of my runs will be aerobic and slow.  Since I don't have any races right now I will just continue working on acclimating and getting stronger.  

I hope everyone else is doing good and I look forward to reading the race reports from those of you that have upcoming races.  

Jen

2011-08-24 1:26 PM
in reply to: #3655943

User image

Master
Dallas
jenputnam - 2011-08-23 4:01 PM

Set up my new training schedule with several days a week having 2 workouts.  Today I did a swim.  It's an indoor pool (25yard) here on base.  I felt like I haven't swam in a year.  It was a very easy workout.  100 wu (breathstroke) 200 freestyle easy, 100 kickboard, 100 cool down (breathstroke and freestyle).  It was tough!!!!  I am also going to do a spinerval recovery workout..  Nice and easy so that I can get used to 2 workouts without hurting myself.  

All of my runs will be aerobic and slow.  Since I don't have any races right now I will just continue working on acclimating and getting stronger.  

I hope everyone else is doing good and I look forward to reading the race reports from those of you that have upcoming races.  

Jen,

If you have a pool in base, move in!!! Pool workouts are really good to gain fitness and most people has the limiter of their pools being open at odd hours, fight for a lane, etc.

As far as the running, have you found a track? You will not find anything flatter and that will be a good way to start a good base, increasing mileage as you get better at altitude.

Edited by ernestov 2011-08-24 1:29 PM
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Ernesto's group - CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 84