General Discussion Iron Distance Race Groups » Ironman Florida : Official Thread Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 64

2012-10-16 12:11 PM
in reply to: #4455833

User image

Champion
Williamston, Michigan
Subject: RE: Ironman Florida : Official Thread
LarchmontTri - 2012-10-16 11:57 AM

I still trying to figure mine out too, so this nutrition conversation is quite timely.

Here's my thoughts....(btw, I'm open to suggestions on my plan if you think it needs work...)

Pre-race - coffee, toasted bagel/english muffin with peanut butter, probably some gatorade and orange juice to wash it down.  

Pre-Swim - probably a few clif shot block pieces

Bike - I'm a Clif guy, so probably 2 clif electrolyte bottles, a few clif shot blocks and a few cliff bars.  Will pick-up water along the way.  Prob some salt tabs as well since I'm a heavy sweater.  And 2 additional clif electrolyte bottles in special needs.

Run - chicken broth, water, and feeding off the course.  I'll probably carry some shot blocks and bars since they work fairly well for me.

Only time will tell if this will get me through, but I think/hope it will.

FYI they will have GU chomps which are similar if that might mean you need to carry less stuff

2012-10-16 12:14 PM
in reply to: #3589984

User image

Santa Maria
I am trying something a little different on this Ironman for nutrition
Pre Race- toast with peanut butter, coffee to get the internals moving, and some gel before the race
Swim- water maybe
Bike- Perpeteum, salt capsules, cliffbars, and my favorite gummy bears. I have found the gummy bears to help out a lot. Not to sure why but they work for me. Maybe it because a handful is about 150 calories. Who knows. The perpeteum I usually make a 4 to 5 hour bottle. The taste has grown on me.
Run- pretty much whatever is at the aid stations. Coke is a must.

I have found my stomach to be pretty good, nothing really upsets it. I always have advil and nodoz on hand. Tums is always also in my little baggy.

On my first Ironman I had SN bags for the bike and run. I think this year I will skip that. Most of the stuff I need is for the bike and I can carry that.

On the bike I also carry two tubes and 4 CO2 refills. All of this is taped to the underside of my seat with electrical tape. I also carry a small toolkit with a razor blade in it to cut the tape.
2012-10-16 12:19 PM
in reply to: #4455860

Socks - 2012-10-16 1:11 PM
LarchmontTri - 2012-10-16 11:57 AM

I still trying to figure mine out too, so this nutrition conversation is quite timely.

Here's my thoughts....(btw, I'm open to suggestions on my plan if you think it needs work...)

Pre-race - coffee, toasted bagel/english muffin with peanut butter, probably some gatorade and orange juice to wash it down.  

Pre-Swim - probably a few clif shot block pieces

Bike - I'm a Clif guy, so probably 2 clif electrolyte bottles, a few clif shot blocks and a few cliff bars.  Will pick-up water along the way.  Prob some salt tabs as well since I'm a heavy sweater.  And 2 additional clif electrolyte bottles in special needs.

Run - chicken broth, water, and feeding off the course.  I'll probably carry some shot blocks and bars since they work fairly well for me.

Only time will tell if this will get me through, but I think/hope it will.

FYI they will have GU chomps which are similar if that might mean you need to carry less stuff

Good idea.  I'll see if I can train with some Gu chomps over the next few days to see if they sit well with my stomach.  Thanks.

2012-10-16 12:22 PM

User image

Veteran
Mandeville

Breakfast:

-1:30 before race start - 5:30 am - two pieces of toast with PB&J and one large cup of coffee

-:30 before race start -a banana

Bike:

Hour 1 - one nutrion bottle of carbo pro and gu brew (330 calories, 75 carbs) two salt stick capsules and 1 200 mg caffiene pill

Hour 2 - repeat hour 1 with no caffiene pill (one nutrion bottle of carbo pro and gu brew (330 calories, 75 carbs) two salt stick capsules )

Hour 3 - 20 oz of water, one package of keebler PB&j crackers, one powergel and two salt stick capsules

Hour 4 - 20 oz of water and one efs liquid shot (100 carbs and 400 calories) and two salt stick capsules

Hour 5 - repeat hour 2 (one nutrion bottle of carbo pro and gu brew (330 calories, 75 carbs) two salt stick capsules)

Anything over 5 hours will be regular water, solid food if hungry or two gels if not 

Run:

200 mg caffiene pill when I start the run, one gel every 45 minutes, water every aid station, coke every other aid station and a salt stick capsule with every gel.

2012-10-16 12:25 PM
in reply to: #4455853

User image

Veteran
Mandeville
Socks - 2012-10-16 12:08 PM
LSUfan4444 - 2012-10-16 12:06 PM

I got some great news today. I got an email telling my my reservation through VRBO at the Boardwalk Condominiums (that I made last November while in Panama City volunteering) had been cancelled.

No reason why, but they offered to get me a two BR at Shores of Panama for $300 more that what I was paying at Boardwalk.

thats BS.  I had the same thing happen but they gave me the same rate at shores of panama.  Push for the same rate.

Thing is, I don't want to stay at Shores of Panama.  If I am not at the boardwalk, I want to be on the run course.  It is so much easier for my family to be on the run course.  Most of the people from New Orleans hang out in front of La Vela or right near Surf Dr, which is about a mile walk from Shores of PC.  I have a three year old and a wife with a three time surgically repaired knee and I just don't want to do that to them.

It looks like Gulf Crest still has plenty available with secured parking and really nice/new units, and it will be a little harder on my logistically, but will be easier on them for race day.

I was so mad this morning, I couldn't even get angry.

2012-10-16 12:51 PM
in reply to: #4455856

User image

Veteran
Berkley
Socks - 2012-10-16 1:10 PM
deboerkj - 2012-10-16 11:56 AM

TUMS! Almost forgot those, thanks! As an addon to nutrition what medication(s) are people bringing?

I'm bringing Aleve, Antihistamine, now Tums  

To a previous question. I run with a racing belt that has elastic loops to carry gels. I got some oldschool film containers that fit in the loops that I can carry pills. I've also been using chia seeds during my training this year and they seem to help a lot. So I will have a container or two of those.

tylenol.  Be careful with the aleve.  It can effect electrolytes.  Tylenol is safer.  I put my electrolytes in an old tic tac box. Those snack size zip locks rock too. 

Thanks for the tip! 

My AM starts with oatmeal and a some OJ for a little sugar. No coffee for me as I get a little reflux if I swim after I drink coffee.

1 GU before the swim.

the bike is a mix of clif bars/gu's/bananas + fluids on the course.

The run will be a GU crawl plus what is on the course. I will probably bring a granola bar, or have my wife whip up some of her killer oatmeal cookies for SN bags. 

Question: Is there water between the laps during the swim? If so, that will be refreshing after the salt water.

Edited by deboerkj 2012-10-16 12:51 PM

2012-10-16 12:58 PM
in reply to: #4455962

User image

Veteran
Mandeville

so, that will be refreshing after the salt water.

Yes, available in between laps and at swim exit.

2012-10-16 1:14 PM
in reply to: #4455896

User image

Champion
Williamston, Michigan
LSUfan4444 - 2012-10-16 12:25 PM
Socks - 2012-10-16 12:08 PM

I got some great news today. I got an email telling my my reservation through VRBO at the Boardwalk Condominiums (that I made last November while in Panama City volunteering) had been cancelled.

No reason why, but they offered to get me a two BR at Shores of Panama for $300 more that what I was paying at Boardwalk.

thats BS.  I had the same thing happen but they gave me the same rate at shores of panama.  Push for the same rate.

Thing is, I don't want to stay at Shores of Panama.  If I am not at the boardwalk, I want to be on the run course.  It is so much easier for my family to be on the run course.  Most of the people from New Orleans hang out in front of La Vela or right near Surf Dr, which is about a mile walk from Shores of PC.  I have a three year old and a wife with a three time surgically repaired knee and I just don't want to do that to them.

It looks like Gulf Crest still has plenty available with secured parking and really nice/new units, and it will be a little harder on my logistically, but will be easier on them for race day.

I was so mad this morning, I couldn't even get angry.

I understand.  I have a unit at boardwalk that I have rented the last 2 years.   My parents proclaimed they were going to camp this year and stay in their RV, then they were not coming, then they were camping then they decided about amonth agon they AND their friends are coming but it would tkae 2 days to drive the RVs so they wanted a unit at boardwalk.....cause those are SO EASY to get right?  They don't want to share a room with their friends so they can't/won't stay with us eventho one of the rooms in the unit has 2 double beds.  After 25+hours of searching, emails phone calls I pay for a 2BR unit.  2 days later oh sorry it was already rented but you can have a unit at Shores of Panama...........My parents are older as are their friends, and my mom has post polio syndrome plus Rheumatoid arthritis and just got over a lymphoma in her quad and a fractured patella so they can't stay at Shores of Panama its too far for them to walk all the time so I am taking that unit and they are taking theboardwalk unit.  ARGH.  Anyway the plan is to walk down to transition race morning then go up to their unit in boardwalk so if you want to hang out with us pre-race you are welcome to come up.  Let me know

2012-10-16 1:18 PM

User image

Master
Charlotte

Breakfast (practiced every week before long ride/brick):

Coffee, small glass of OJ, instant oatmeal, whole wheat english muffin with PB, banana, 350cal ensure.  About 750 calories or so (spaced out from wakeup to walking out the door).

Gu before the swim start

Bike:

4 bottles of infinit at 425cal each.  10 rocktanes with with water.  I am following the Fink Ironfit plan and he recomments 500cal/hr on the bike and I have had no problems with that in training. If I am behind on my infinit bottles at halfway I will take a Bonk Breakers to get back on cal schedule.

Run:

Rocktane every 5m and perform/coke every stop. 

Post Race:

Beer - lots and lots of craft beer. Hope to raid the entire town of any Cigar City that may be on the shelves.

2012-10-16 3:13 PM

User image

A few questions came to mind today...

1) for the bike special needs bag, do you pull over and then get your bag? or do they hand it to you on the go? and if so, is there then an area to pull off to? I picture it being chaotic w/ some riders not stopping while others do.

2) is there water at the bike special needs bag area? I'll need to mix another bottle of perpetuem and I'm not sure if I need to pack a bottle of water in my SN bag for this.

2012-10-16 3:21 PM
in reply to: #4456323

User image

Champion
Williamston, Michigan
DCT76 - 2012-10-16 3:13 PM

1) for the bike special needs bag, do you pull over and then get your bag? or do they hand it to you on the go? and if so, is there then an area to pull off to? I picture it being chaotic w/ some riders not stopping while others do.

2) is there water at the bike special needs bag area? I'll need to mix another bottle of perpetuem and I'm not sure if I need to pack a bottle of water in my SN bag for this.

They will have someone with a bullhorn calling out race numbers for someone to retrieve your bag.  They may or may not hand it to you.    There is a place to pull off but yes it is chaotic.  You can get it on the fly if they are able to find it for you fast enough.  Be vigilent of other cyclists tho.  Otherwise its just like all the other aide stations so they should have water etc.  YES

2012-10-16 3:27 PM
in reply to: #4455484

User image

Expert
Santa Fe, New Mexico
Silver member

No water.  All liquids have sodium and calories.  On the run I eat a single shot blok every other mile and take about 4 oz or Perform at each aid station.  By about mile 20, I switch to only coke.

I really wish I could handle all liquids that had calories and sodium but the sweet taste starts to get to me after 5 or 6 hrs.  I drink water to get rid of the sweet in my mouth.  After this past weekends long ride I am thinking of taking pretzels with me, if I can figure out how to carry on the bike.

Did you ever try pickle juice?  There is a sport drink with pickle juice.  Definitely not sweet.  Dill pickle like, and lots of sodium and potassium. ( I think.  I haven't looked at the nutritional values in a while. )  They have it at our HEB grocery store in the same isle as Gatoraide.  look for small bottles.

Edited by jashac 2012-10-16 3:46 PM
2012-10-16 6:16 PM
in reply to: #4456374

User image

Veteran
jashac - 2012-10-16 3:27 PM

No water.  All liquids have sodium and calories.  On the run I eat a single shot blok every other mile and take about 4 oz or Perform at each aid station.  By about mile 20, I switch to only coke.

I really wish I could handle all liquids that had calories and sodium but the sweet taste starts to get to me after 5 or 6 hrs.  I drink water to get rid of the sweet in my mouth.  After this past weekends long ride I am thinking of taking pretzels with me, if I can figure out how to carry on the bike.

Did you ever try pickle juice?  There is a sport drink with pickle juice.  Definitely not sweet.  Dill pickle like, and lots of sodium and potassium. ( I think.  I haven't looked at the nutritional values in a while. )  They have it at our HEB grocery store in the same isle as Gatoraide.  look for small bottles.

I have never heard of it.  I do like pickles...I will check around.

Thanks

2012-10-16 6:53 PM
in reply to: #4456038

User image

Extreme Veteran
bgraboski - 2012-10-16 1:18 PM

Coffee, small glass of OJ, instant oatmeal, whole wheat english muffin with PB, banana, 350cal ensure.  About 750 calories or so (spaced out from wakeup to walking out the door).

Gu before the swim start

Bike:

4 bottles of infinit at 425cal each.  10 rocktanes with with water.  I am following the Fink Ironfit plan and he recomments 500cal/hr on the bike and I have had no problems with that in training. If I am behind on my infinit bottles at halfway I will take a Bonk Breakers to get back on cal schedule.

Run:

Post Race:

Beer - lots and lots of craft beer. Hope to raid the entire town of any Cigar City that may be on the shelves.

Wow that is a lot of calories!
2012-10-16 7:17 PM
in reply to: #4455848

User image

Expert

Adam, that really stinks.  That is the reason I didn't try to stay there. Last year a few people had issues too so I didn't want to chance it.   Good luck.

Duane

2012-10-16 7:24 PM
in reply to: #4456351

User image

Expert
Socks - 2012-10-16 3:21 PM
DCT76 - 2012-10-16 3:13 PM

They will have someone with a bullhorn calling out race numbers for someone to retrieve your bag.  They may or may not hand it to you.    There is a place to pull off but yes it is chaotic.  You can get it on the fly if they are able to find it for you fast enough.  Be vigilent of other cyclists tho.  Otherwise its just like all the other aide stations so they should have water etc.  YES

It didn't seem too crowded last year.  i just pulled over and grabbed my bag.  They might have called it out but I was so far down the line that they didn't have mine.  Just pulled up and told her my number.   Remember if you want it back you need to leave it at SN. 

I don't remember it also being an aid station or a porta potty.  I think that is another mile down the road, but I could be wrong.

Forgot to mention earlier that I do take Tums and Tylenol on the bike and run.

Duane

2012-10-17 7:43 AM
in reply to: #4456703

User image

Master
Charlotte
MRDAVIDALEXANDER - 2012-10-16 7:53 PM
bgraboski - 2012-10-16 1:18 PM

Gu before the swim start

Bike:

Run:

Post Race:

Wow that is a lot of calories!

Just listening to my "coach".  I bought the Be Iron Fit book, followed the competitve plan, and since Don Fink's plan has worked for many many many IM athletes over the years, I am going to follow nutrition advice as well. No point in investing 30 weeks in something an ignoring his nutrition advice/plan also. Heck minus the Ensure, that would be my 5k breakfast plan!  He in fact recommends 1000 calories between wake up and race. 

PS - At 155lbs, I could put probably qualify for the Nathans hot dog eating contest right now.  No problem fitting all that in my stomach!

2012-10-17 7:59 AM
in reply to: #4456729

User image

Veteran
Mandeville
If my memory serves me correctly, the bike SN is AFTER the aid station where the water is. So, if you want to mix additional bottles at special needs, either put bottles of water in your SN bag or pick some up at the aid station.
2012-10-17 8:53 AM
in reply to: #4457139

User image

Master
Charlotte

Speaking of LSUFan...where's everyone watching the game?  No dog in the fight (Gamecock season ticket holder) but huge SEC football fan.  Should be done by kickoff if wheels don't fall off the bus.

Last year the game was the evening after I ran the Savannah marathon, but unfortunately I was wee bit drunk and passed out cold due to the field goal fest and never saw the end.

This year hoping to stay awake (or at least wake up for the 4th quarter) and then heading to the finish line after the game.

2012-10-17 9:09 AM
in reply to: #4457243

Veteran
Vicksburg
bgraboski - 2012-10-17 8:53 AM

Speaking of LSUFan...where's everyone watching the game?  No dog in the fight (Gamecock season ticket holder) but huge SEC football fan.  Should be done by kickoff if wheels don't fall off the bus.

Last year the game was the evening after I ran the Savannah marathon, but unfortunately I was wee bit drunk and passed out cold due to the field goal fest and never saw the end.

This year hoping to stay awake (or at least wake up for the 4th quarter) and then heading to the finish line after the game.

A good place to watch the games are at Pineapple Willies bar
2012-10-17 9:15 AM

User image

Veteran
Berkley

Talking about pickles/pickle juice I was thinking about testing something. After a good long run/ride I like to chomp on a few pickles. I wonder if I could freeze them the night before and put them in the SN bags to thaw out during the day and then they wouldn't be too hot by the time I get them. Oh who am I kidding, they will probably be warm. :p 

Well after some googling, most people say they will taste nasty afterwards. 

Edited by deboerkj 2012-10-17 9:17 AM

2012-10-17 9:24 AM

Only 17 days left!!! Trying to stay injury free!!!
2012-10-17 9:27 AM
in reply to: #4457275

User image

Master
Charlotte
peewee - 2012-10-17 10:09 AM
bgraboski - 2012-10-17 8:53 AM

A good place to watch the games are at Pineapple Willies bar

Nice! I believe I can pee on Pineapple Willys from my Shore of Panama condo balcony! *Not that triathletes would pee anywhere but in a proper bathroom* 

2012-10-17 9:30 AM
in reply to: #4457308

User image

Veteran
Berkley

triplebbb20 - 2012-10-17 10:24 AM Only 17 days left!!! Trying to stay injury free!!!

Literal LOL!!!! Some of my coworkers are coughing and I yell at them "If I get sick, I'm kicking your butt!".

BUBBLEBOY!

2012-10-17 9:31 AM
in reply to: #4457308

User image

Expert
Santa Fe, New Mexico
Silver member

triplebbb20 - 2012-10-17 9:24 AM Only 17 days left!!! Trying to stay injury free!!

LOL!   I find myself walking directly down the middle of hallways and through door ways.

New Thread
General Discussion Iron Distance Race Groups » Ironman Florida : Official Thread Rss Feed  

of 64