BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Beer Drinker Appreciation/Accountability Society 3 - Closed Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 59

2014-03-20 6:32 PM
in reply to: MOlsen

User image

Veteran
Illinois
Subject: RE: Beer Drinker Appreciation/Accountability Society 3 - Closed
So, I received my new helmet today - ordered a Giro Air Attack Shield from Amazon, and found it on sale for $197. Street price is $240, so I hit buy and figure I'll save the $40. It arrives, and, unfortunately, it's missing the optical shield. My options with Amazon are to return it for a refund, or keep it. The purchase page did not indicate the shield was missing. It was a new item. Sadly, it was the last one in stock from the 3rd party seller at that price (but fulfilled by Amazon), so I will get my money back, but still be out a helmet.

Buying the shield by itself costs $40. I got lucky on the price, but it seems like Lady Luck is fickle - she giveth, and she taketh away. So, in short, I can get my money back, and then buy one at full retail, or I can buy the shield and wind up paying full retail . . .

I was also considering buying the non-shield Air Attack, which costs $200, since I will usually ride with my windglasses anyway.

Grumble grumble.

2014-03-20 9:54 PM

User image

Expert
Spokane, WA
Originally posted by MOlsen

There are good run days and not so good run days... today was one of the not so good days. Started out feeling pretty good but the mid-day warmth sapped my energy and my planned 6 mile run became a 5 mile run with walking breaks during the last 2 miles. It didn't help that I ran out of Nuun and had to use Gatorade today (what we have in office drink fridge) and I've learned that Gatorade doesn't get along with me as well is I would like, sits heavy in my stomach.

On the plus side, I went for my first open water swim of the season yesterday. Took it easy and only swam to the end of the pier and back for a total distance of about 800m. Conditions were great and I'm looking forward to upping my distance, however I need to work on my sighting and pacing a bit more as I kept breaking my rhythm and doing some breast strokes when I sighted.

If in the Gatoraid situation again, have you ever diluted it 50/50 with water. I used this for my nutrition on my last marathon and HIM and it worked out well for me.
2014-03-20 10:07 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Expert
Spokane, WA
Day 9 of HIIT type training. My body is constantly sore in different spots, it's unpleasant, but all for the best. I did my second run, 2.65 miles, today without a hitch in the calf. I think this thing may be heading behind me. I'm going to be real cautious and monitor my distance and intensities well, so I can ease back into it. I have a possible sprint planned for this end of May. I think I'm going to do it, if nothing else so I don't seem like a troll for posting here for so long without signing up for a race! My last race was in July of 2012. OUCH!

Edited to add: Mirror Pond Pale Ale from Deschutes tonight. Smooth.

Edited by kevinbe 2014-03-20 10:08 PM
2014-03-21 12:06 AM
in reply to: kevinbe

User image

Expert
Fallon, Nevada
Stil working on my goals but I found a yoga place and did hot yoga for the first time ever...I was pleasantly surprised on how amazing it was. I was dripping glistening all over the place. Can't wait to go back!
2014-03-21 8:54 AM

User image

Veteran
Illinois
Originally posted by kevinbe

There are good run days and not so good run days... today was one of the not so good days. Started out feeling pretty good but the mid-day warmth sapped my energy and my planned 6 mile run became a 5 mile run with walking breaks during the last 2 miles. It didn't help that I ran out of Nuun and had to use Gatorade today (what we have in office drink fridge) and I've learned that Gatorade doesn't get along with me as well is I would like, sits heavy in my stomach.

If in the Gatoraid situation again, have you ever diluted it 50/50 with water. I used this for my nutrition on my last marathon and HIM and it worked out well for me.

Out of curiosity, how much are you drinking? And how hard are you pushing?

My initial thoughts are that maybe you are going the other way - too much fluid. For a normal hour run in normal weather (less than 90 degrees), I usually don't bother with anything - start hydrated, but nothing on the run itself. 16 or 20 oz in an hour, with full blood glycogen and a normal hydration status pre-workout, seems like a bit much, and could be why you're getting the heavy belly.
2014-03-21 12:07 PM

User image

Regular
Central Coast, CA

On the plus side, I went for my first open water swim of the season yesterday. Took it easy and only swam to the end of the pier and back for a total distance of about 800m. Conditions were great and I'm looking forward to upping my distance, however I need to work on my sighting and pacing a bit more as I kept breaking my rhythm and doing some breast strokes when I sighted.

I actually did dilute it 50/50 yesterday to see if it would help help, but sadly it did not. Guess I just need to keep a bigger stock of Nuun (just electrolytes) and Fluid (when I want calories) at my office.

2014-03-21 12:09 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Regular
Central Coast, CA

Originally posted by mirthfuldragon 

Out of curiosity, how much are you drinking? And how hard are you pushing? My initial thoughts are that maybe you are going the other way - too much fluid. For a normal hour run in normal weather (less than 90 degrees), I usually don't bother with anything - start hydrated, but nothing on the run itself. 16 or 20 oz in an hour, with full blood glycogen and a normal hydration status pre-workout, seems like a bit much, and could be why you're getting the heavy belly.

I generally sip while I run, carrying an 8oz bottle that I usually only finish if I run a full hour. My effort level was a "fast zone 2", so I was not pushing too hard.

Edited by MOlsen 2014-03-21 12:11 PM
2014-03-21 4:19 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Cape Coral, FL
Well it continues to get worse. 102.2 last night and up to 103 tonight. If it hasn't broken by the morning or at least go down some I am headed to the docs. Took today off and looks like the next few days will be rest for me. Hope everyone has a fun weekend planned.
2014-03-21 6:12 PM
in reply to: Burd

User image

New user
Madrid
I recently read that one of the problems of the triathletes is that they are so 'nutrition conscious' that they eat too much and drink too much. I agree, that for 60 to 90 min I don´t bother with fluids or nutrition, only beyond that.
Came to a meeting in Edinburgh, enjoying Scotish Ales (wine is terrible up here....) - enjoy the weekend!
2014-03-23 10:31 AM
in reply to: Juancho

User image

Expert
Spokane, WA
I love running. I was literally depressed there for more than a few weeks a while back when I was so frustrated with my calf. Just got back from a 3 miler. ran at a 8:05/mi pace. Happy to report that I'm up and running again. Wife and I are going on an 8 mi hike today in the woods, and here's the best part, we're dumping our 3 wonderful children off at a friends house!

Happy running BDAAS!
2014-03-24 10:14 AM
in reply to: Burd

User image

Expert
Fallon, Nevada
Originally posted by Burd

Well it continues to get worse. 102.2 last night and up to 103 tonight. If it hasn't broken by the morning or at least go down some I am headed to the docs. Took today off and looks like the next few days will be rest for me. Hope everyone has a fun weekend planned.

Please take care of yourself, the same happened to me, started with a cough then turned into something horrible...adults do not get those high fevers unless they are really sick....please go to the doctors and get some really good meds as soon as possible.

Hope you feel better soon!

2014-03-24 10:21 AM
in reply to: SportzVision

User image

Expert
Fallon, Nevada
My week has been go go go, non stop. I did make it to two yoga sessions, didn't train at all this weekend because some how my grandson, not my own son but grandson's birthday party prep took up all my time, except the yoga session I snuck in on Saturday. Back at the grind today...I have a fever...its dance fever but a fever nonetheless!
2014-03-24 11:27 AM

User image

Regular
Central Coast, CA

I love running. I was literally depressed there for more than a few weeks a while back when I was so frustrated with my calf. Just got back from a 3 miler. ran at a 8:05/mi pace. Happy to report that I'm up and running again. Wife and I are going on an 8 mi hike today in the woods, and here's the best part, we're dumping our 3 wonderful children off at a friends house! Happy running BDAAS!

Good to hear you are up and running again!

Over the weekend I just did a 13 mile ride, felt pretty good and stayed in aero for longer stretches. My back and shoulders are getting more adjusted to the position. It's also a small reminder that I have a few pounds to drop, as I can feel my gut when I'm in aero.

Sunday was supposed to be a long run day, however my body decided it was a rest day and instead I spent some time climbing on my porch awning bolting down panels that had blown loose in the last wind storm. When I went out for lunch the deli had a bunch of college kids in cycling/tri gear and numbers written on their calves, reminding me the local college tri was that morning! I had intentionally skipped it this year for various reasons however seeing all of them made me wish I had gone out and raced... 

2014-03-24 11:43 AM

User image

I'm jealous of you fellows that live in places where you can do triathlons at this time of year. I can barely get out on the bike. We're still getting snow and subzero temperatures. 

2014-03-24 4:46 PM
in reply to: adempsey10

User image

Regular
Central Coast, CA

Originally posted by adempsey10

I'm jealous of you fellows that live in places where you can do triathlons at this time of year. I can barely get out on the bike. We're still getting snow and subzero temperatures. 

I'll trade you some sunny weather for some of that snow as water in our lakes! On of the reasons I didn't do the tri over the weekend was due to low water levels. Fortunately my bigger events later in the season are ocean swims which will not be affected by the drought conditions.

2014-03-24 5:21 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Alberta

I'll trade you some sunny weather for some of that snow as water in our lakes! On of the reasons I didn't do the tri over the weekend was due to low water levels. Fortunately my bigger events later in the season are ocean swims which will not be affected by the drought conditions.

the snow isn't so much the issue as the cold is...we won't be in the lakes until May/June wetsuit or not...

2014-03-24 9:56 PM
in reply to: thor67

User image

New user
Seattle
As someone who would like to attempt more than one triathlon this year (sprint distance only for now), how do you decide which triathlons to race? How far apart should the triathlons be if you wanted to do two or three?
2014-03-24 9:56 PM
in reply to: thor67

User image

New user
Seattle
As someone who would like to attempt more than one triathlon this year (sprint distance only for now), how do you decide which triathlons to race? How far apart should the triathlons be if you wanted to do two or three?
2014-03-25 8:06 AM
in reply to: jnmrunner

User image

Extreme Veteran
Alberta

Depends on your fitness for how far apart. You could do them 1 week apart if you would like. As for which ones...for me it is based on how it was run, cost, location and first and foremost how it fits into my schedule.(I have 2 kids and a wife who also do triathlons) One on our list is a 5.5 hour drive to the mountains...kind of destination. Great location but brutal hills for the run and bike.

Figure out what your priorities are and work from there. It is nice to spread the triathlons out to keep your training focused. I find 4/season works well if you are doing sprints/olys. It is all personal preference though.

Originally posted by jnmrunner As someone who would like to attempt more than one triathlon this year (sprint distance only for now), how do you decide which triathlons to race? How far apart should the triathlons be if you wanted to do two or three?

2014-03-25 8:18 AM
in reply to: jnmrunner

User image

Veteran
Illinois
Originally posted by jnmrunner

Depends on the distance and your fitness.

My first tri was May of last year - a nice, local sprint, serpentine pool swim, flat run and bike; ~1:20 finish time. Raced on Saturday morning, drank with my friends that afternoon, went to a carnival that evening, ate a bunch of carnival food, won a stuffed animal for the wife, good times. From a race-only perspective, a decent shape person could run sprints every weekened without any real detriment, all summer long. Your training during the week would suffer a ton, but you could race a lot.

My second and third tris were olympic distances. The first one was chilly and drizzly, so I took it easy, paced well on the bike, finished around 3:05, and bounced back in a week or so. The second oly was brutal - 97 degrees, 95% humidity, and zero cloud cover. My bike split was the top 25 of my AG (30-34, with ~300 particpants - the Chicago triathlon is huge). My run split was a bottom 10 split, and involved two medics standing over me. I took a week off after that one, and was back to full-training in about 10 days.

My marathon screwed me up for a month. No lie - a month before I felt normal.

So, to answer your question - if you wanted to see progress, from race to race, I would say 6 weeks between sprints for a first-year triathlete is a good timeline. That would give you a 3 day taper into the race (maybe 5, depending on training), 2 recover days post-race, then 5 days to build back to normal volume.

Or, lets say you had two races that were close together - build into them, then recovery between.

As for choosing a race, that's pretty personal. Convenience and cost are big factors. I'm doing Twin Lakes because it's ~10 minute ride for my house, so I can and will literally ride my bike to check-in, ride to the pancake house after, and then ride back home. (Note: Best. Day. Ever.). Proximity to family is another big factor - my first try was a 6 hour drive from my home, but 15 minutes from my mom's house and where a lot of my friends from high school live.

I like Rev3 events, since they are all generally located near family-friendly attractions (Wisconsin Dells, Cedar Point, Williamsburg, Quassy amusement park, etc.). That way it becomes a bit of a vacation for everyone.
2014-03-25 11:50 AM
in reply to: mirthfuldragon

User image

Put in 2000m solid in the pool and 500m of sprint, pull and kick sets yesterday. Finished the 2000m in 38:54. The first 1000m was 20:17, so I increased my pace considerably over the last 1000m. Fastest 100m lap was 0:01:40. This was my first day back after a week of recovery. I did 100 minutes on the trainer today with a solid effort. There has been a vast improvement in my performance compared to before the recovery week. This only solidifies my belief that adequate recovery is pertinent to increasing performance. 

In other news, I picked up a set of kettlebells and have started incorporating swings into my strength routine. They're great for strengthening the hams and glutes. I've been working on trying to engage my hams and glutes more while on the bike and decrease my reliance on quad power. The kettlebells have been a big help getting those muscles conditioned for bigger rides and hard climbs. 

2014-03-25 12:31 PM
in reply to: adempsey10

User image

Expert

Put in 2000m solid in the pool and 500m of sprint, pull and kick sets yesterday. Finished the 2000m in 38:54. The first 1000m was 20:17, so I increased my pace considerably over the last 1000m. Fastest 100m lap was 0:01:40. This was my first day back after a week of recovery. I did 100 minutes on the trainer today with a solid effort. There has been a vast improvement in my performance compared to before the recovery week. This only solidifies my belief that adequate recovery is pertinent to increasing performance. 

In other news, I picked up a set of kettlebells and have started incorporating swings into my strength routine. They're great for strengthening the hams and glutes. I've been working on trying to engage my hams and glutes more while on the bike and decrease my reliance on quad power. The kettlebells have been a big help getting those muscles conditioned for bigger rides and hard climbs. 

Nice work on the swim! Just think how fast you will be after 21 weeks and 5 days of training. Then when you add in a 3 week taper and a wetsuit - watch out! I might steal a page from your book about the kettlebells. My left glute is still week as hell and I'm gonna need all the help I can get making it up those hills in Mont Tremblant.
2014-03-25 12:39 PM
in reply to: mirthfuldragon

User image

Expert
Originally posted by mirthfuldragon

Originally posted by jnmrunner

Depends on the distance and your fitness.

My first tri was May of last year - a nice, local sprint, serpentine pool swim, flat run and bike; ~1:20 finish time. Raced on Saturday morning, drank with my friends that afternoon, went to a carnival that evening, ate a bunch of carnival food, won a stuffed animal for the wife, good times. From a race-only perspective, a decent shape person could run sprints every weekened without any real detriment, all summer long. Your training during the week would suffer a ton, but you could race a lot.

My second and third tris were olympic distances. The first one was chilly and drizzly, so I took it easy, paced well on the bike, finished around 3:05, and bounced back in a week or so. The second oly was brutal - 97 degrees, 95% humidity, and zero cloud cover. My bike split was the top 25 of my AG (30-34, with ~300 particpants - the Chicago triathlon is huge). My run split was a bottom 10 split, and involved two medics standing over me. I took a week off after that one, and was back to full-training in about 10 days.

My marathon screwed me up for a month. No lie - a month before I felt normal.

So, to answer your question - if you wanted to see progress, from race to race, I would say 6 weeks between sprints for a first-year triathlete is a good timeline. That would give you a 3 day taper into the race (maybe 5, depending on training), 2 recover days post-race, then 5 days to build back to normal volume.

Or, lets say you had two races that were close together - build into them, then recovery between.

As for choosing a race, that's pretty personal. Convenience and cost are big factors. I'm doing Twin Lakes because it's ~10 minute ride for my house, so I can and will literally ride my bike to check-in, ride to the pancake house after, and then ride back home. (Note: Best. Day. Ever.). Proximity to family is another big factor - my first try was a 6 hour drive from my home, but 15 minutes from my mom's house and where a lot of my friends from high school live.

I like Rev3 events, since they are all generally located near family-friendly attractions (Wisconsin Dells, Cedar Point, Williamsburg, Quassy amusement park, etc.). That way it becomes a bit of a vacation for everyone.

Great response Charles. I would add three additional thoughts. First, you need to factor in how hard you are willing to work. If you put everything into your races - you will want more time. You also need to factor in the difficulty of the course. The more hills you have to climb - the more time it will take for you to recover. Finally when it comes to choosing races - I consider the venue and fun quotent just like Charles was talking about. If I know I'm going to have a blast of if I know there will be a ton of people cheering me on - then I don't worry as much about that second race.
2014-03-25 12:44 PM
in reply to: Qua17

User image

Expert
Weekly Goals for the week of 3/24/2014

DQ - 2 runs and 3 rides (shoulder is healing), PT like it's my job, find a heart rate monitor, record every calorie. make it back to one-derland.
2014-03-25 12:52 PM
in reply to: Qua17

User image

Expert
Things are looking up. I had a good session with my PT yesterday. The man is incredible. Get this - he let me come in an hour early and work out with his intern so I could get feedback on I can do my exercises more effectively. Then he had his assistant work with me for 45 minutes to massage my hip and try to break down some of the scare tissue in my knee. Finally, he met with me more more than an hour working with my on my sore shoulder and hip. He also offered to give me advice on my training - kind of like coaching - just not as frequently for free. I am truly blessed. And when you throw into the fact that the man's PTA and his twin brother are both going from their massage certification and need to get in training hours where they can't charge for a message - I'm sure you would agree that I hit the triathlon equivalent of the lottery.

I also got the results back from my MRI on my hip. Everything was negative. I just had some tendonitis (duh). So clearly something is causing the pain - it's just not structural.

It's time to start building up again. I'm a little pissed that my milage is where it was back in January - but I'm going to do everything in my power to get over the hump this time.

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Beer Drinker Appreciation/Accountability Society 3 - Closed Rss Feed  

of 59

RELATED ARTICLES
date : September 2, 2010
author : mrakes1
comments : 0
Discussions on balanced meals, recommended amount of protein, losing weight for an Ironman, is pizza good? and beer as a recovery drink.

date : March 4, 2008
author : ahilden
comments : 1
Four months ago I set upon a journey to train for and complete a triathlon, and a few Sundays back I raced in the Blue Water Triathlon in Parker, Arizona.
date : April 2, 2006
author : AMSSM
The weather is warming and the season is getting started for many triathletes. Keep these tips in mind to avoid heat cramps, exhaustion and stroke.

date : April 2, 2006
I am a 36 y/o male and this will be my fifth season doing triathlons. I have noticed that whenever I run for any period of time over 40 minutes I get a "pins and needles" feeling in my right foot.
date : April 17, 2005
author : sekhmet
We live in a fast-paced society and gym time seems more of a chore than an escape. Rushing through a workout not only yields fewer results but makes athletes prime candidates for injury.

date : April 3, 2005
author : Team BT
The day that I decided to participate in a triathlon really changed my view of my own obstacles of matching the mind to the body and the spirit to contribute to society.
date : February 13, 2005
comments : 2
So how sick is too sick to train? The American Medical Society for Sports Medicine answers just that and many other questions.

date : January 24, 2005
New athlete injury Q&A with the American Medical Society for Sports Medicine.