Other Resources 2023 Beginner Triathlete Mentor Program » Beer Drinkers Appreciation Society (BDAS) 2023 Mentor Group - ALWAYS OPEN Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 124

2023-07-25 3:28 AM
in reply to: bulfrog

User image

, Kronobergs lan
Subject: RE: Beer Drinkers Appreciation Society (BDAS) 2023 Mentor Group - ALWAYS OPEN
Originally posted by bulfrog

Well, life well and truly got in the way of last weeks return to training. Ended up with 2 runs, 2 rides and 2hr 30 total. Still better than last weeks big fat zero.

The USA vietnam game was great. Considering NZ is not a soccer nation at all I was really impressed with the size of the crowd. About 41,000 people. For reference, the stadium holds about 42,500 max. Mr 6 really enjoyed his first live sports experience. and tickets were very reasonable, $20 NZ for adults, $10 for kids. Unfortunately that's the only game in auckland that's at a family friendly hour so its unlikely to be another one.

I'm currently away in Melbourne for a trade show (first overseas trip since the covid... nice for a change) I'm doing 30 minute runs in the morning, but thats all. Spending all day on my feet at the stand I don't think trashing my legs with a hard run first would be wise.

1 More day, then home tomorrow where I'm looking forward to getting on the bike.

At least you managed some training, it’s hard to balance life and training. A really good friend is coming over from France with her family next month and I am torn between being happy to spend some time with them and annoyed that it will disrupt my training. She’s a keen runner she can come with me on runs but that’s about it. I don’t think I can disappear every day to train with my group when they’re here. We’ll see…

Glad you enjoyed the game, live sport is fun, can’t wait for the hockey season to start!

https://www.instagram.com/reel/CuOeCEWBjN-/?igshid=YjgzMjc4YjcwZQ%3D... I was in a commercial for the team, the first image is me.

2023-07-25 9:52 AM
in reply to: Rollergirl

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
Subject: RE: Beer Drinkers Appreciation Society (BDAS) 2023 Mentor Group - ALWAYS OPEN
Originally posted by Rollergirl

Well, life well and truly got in the way of last weeks return to training. Ended up with 2 runs, 2 rides and 2hr 30 total. Still better than last weeks big fat zero.

The USA vietnam game was great. Considering NZ is not a soccer nation at all I was really impressed with the size of the crowd. About 41,000 people. For reference, the stadium holds about 42,500 max. Mr 6 really enjoyed his first live sports experience. and tickets were very reasonable, $20 NZ for adults, $10 for kids. Unfortunately that's the only game in auckland that's at a family friendly hour so its unlikely to be another one.

I'm currently away in Melbourne for a trade show (first overseas trip since the covid... nice for a change) I'm doing 30 minute runs in the morning, but thats all. Spending all day on my feet at the stand I don't think trashing my legs with a hard run first would be wise.

1 More day, then home tomorrow where I'm looking forward to getting on the bike.

At least you managed some training, it’s hard to balance life and training. A really good friend is coming over from France with her family next month and I am torn between being happy to spend some time with them and annoyed that it will disrupt my training. She’s a keen runner she can come with me on runs but that’s about it. I don’t think I can disappear every day to train with my group when they’re here. We’ll see…

Glad you enjoyed the game, live sport is fun, can’t wait for the hockey season to start!

https://www.instagram.com/reel/CuOeCEWBjN-/?igshid=YjgzMjc4YjcwZQ%3D... I was in a commercial for the team, the first image is me.

My advice...talk to your friend (and maybe your husband). Tell her/them how important it is for you to continue training during the visit, and talk about ways to make it work. You may not get to train with your group, but you might be able to get in your sessions early in the day, when everyone else is puttering around having coffee. It is a sacrifice, but if you want to maintain training, give it a shot! You might also find that your friend wants to ride...or maybe you can work in a beach/pool session while everyone else is just relaxing at said beach/pool. You don't know until you ask. I've found that my friends/family are super supportive and have no problem with me disappearing for a while to train when I'm visiting. I mean...it could be my personality and they just want me gone for a bit...but I choose to believe it is support!
2023-07-25 9:53 AM

User image

Carbondale, Illinois

Andrew--life gets in the way sometimes. Thought about a swim session? Shouldn't trash your legs too much. St. Kilda's baths are pretty nice (25m salt water pool), depending on where you are. I swam there last year when I was in Melbourne for a month. I'm not the right person to say this, but a few days off won't derail your training though.
2023-07-25 10:06 AM
in reply to: drfoodlove

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
Rest day yesterday--of which I spent most of it obsessing about race pacing and the weather. It is too early for the long range forecast to be out yet, but we are getting close. I also made the mistake of looking at the course elevation map again. 5000ft of climbing. I hate hills. I want to forget the hills. I have one more long ride and am thinking that it could be a good idea to drive up to Grand Rapids (7.5 hours each way) and ride the race course. It would be this week (Friday), which would require some sweet talking to my wife, but I'm not sure I can stomach the disappointment if it goes poorly.

Today was a 58' run with 4x6' in Z4, followed by strength training. As per usual with my first run of the week, my legs felt all uncoordinated--like a baby giraffe just after birth--entirely not sure where to put my feet or how to move my legs in coordination with one another. You would think I've run enough now to be over this feeling, but I'm simply not. It is super weird. After the run, I took "coach" (the aging pup who used to be my running buddy) on a s.l.o.w. mile walk--my cool down and her daily exercise and then "enjoyed" her attentions as I did my strength training. Nothing like a dog drooling on your forehead to make hamstring bridges more enjoyable!

Last big training week of the plan; 18:35 on schedule for this week. I can't believe how good I still feel. Last year at this time, after a plan with less volume and intensity, I thought I could crawl in a hole and sleep for weeks at this point. I am completely raring to go and have to hold myself back from starting a big, physical project (remodeling our guest bedroom, including building a new panel wall to turn part of it into a walk-in storage area (our house has NO storage--one tiny coat closet under the first floor stairs, but no where for anything else!). I love this feeling, but it makes me wonder if I was too conservative in choosing my plan and I could have done level 3 (instead of 2). Oh well...too late now...I guess there is always next year! My wife said something about renting a house in Grand Rapids next summer so I could train on the bike course all summer long. It is as if she assumes it is a foregone conclusion that I will be doing MiTi 140.6 again next year. I really have no plans for such, but I suppose given that I've previously said I was done with long course triathlons (after a 70.3 in 2018) and I never wanted to do another 140.6 (last year after MiTi) and both times I signed up for MiTi less than two weeks later, my track record for these kinds of decisions is not so great.
2023-07-25 2:40 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

, Kronobergs lan
Originally posted by drfoodlove

My advice...talk to your friend (and maybe your husband). Tell her/them how important it is for you to continue training during the visit, and talk about ways to make it work. You may not get to train with your group, but you might be able to get in your sessions early in the day, when everyone else is puttering around having coffee. It is a sacrifice, but if you want to maintain training, give it a shot! You might also find that your friend wants to ride...or maybe you can work in a beach/pool session while everyone else is just relaxing at said beach/pool. You don't know until you ask. I've found that my friends/family are super supportive and have no problem with me disappearing for a while to train when I'm visiting. I mean...it could be my personality and they just want me gone for a bit...but I choose to believe it is support!

Thanks, you are right, we’ll find ways to make it work!

Edited by Rollergirl 2023-07-25 2:41 PM
2023-07-25 2:49 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

, Kronobergs lan

Rest day yesterday--of which I spent most of it obsessing about race pacing and the weather. It is too early for the long range forecast to be out yet, but we are getting close. I also made the mistake of looking at the course elevation map again. 5000ft of climbing. I hate hills. I want to forget the hills. I have one more long ride and am thinking that it could be a good idea to drive up to Grand Rapids (7.5 hours each way) and ride the race course. It would be this week (Friday), which would require some sweet talking to my wife, but I'm not sure I can stomach the disappointment if it goes poorly.

Today was a 58' run with 4x6' in Z4, followed by strength training. As per usual with my first run of the week, my legs felt all uncoordinated--like a baby giraffe just after birth--entirely not sure where to put my feet or how to move my legs in coordination with one another. You would think I've run enough now to be over this feeling, but I'm simply not. It is super weird. After the run, I took "coach" (the aging pup who used to be my running buddy) on a s.l.o.w. mile walk--my cool down and her daily exercise and then "enjoyed" her attentions as I did my strength training. Nothing like a dog drooling on your forehead to make hamstring bridges more enjoyable!

Last big training week of the plan; 18:35 on schedule for this week. I can't believe how good I still feel. Last year at this time, after a plan with less volume and intensity, I thought I could crawl in a hole and sleep for weeks at this point. I am completely raring to go and have to hold myself back from starting a big, physical project (remodeling our guest bedroom, including building a new panel wall to turn part of it into a walk-in storage area (our house has NO storage--one tiny coat closet under the first floor stairs, but no where for anything else!). I love this feeling, but it makes me wonder if I was too conservative in choosing my plan and I could have done level 3 (instead of 2). Oh well...too late now...I guess there is always next year! My wife said something about renting a house in Grand Rapids next summer so I could train on the bike course all summer long. It is as if she assumes it is a foregone conclusion that I will be doing MiTi 140.6 again next year. I really have no plans for such, but I suppose given that I've previously said I was done with long course triathlons (after a 70.3 in 2018) and I never wanted to do another 140.6 (last year after MiTi) and both times I signed up for MiTi less than two weeks later, my track record for these kinds of decisions is not so great.

Strange that you ”forget” how to run every week! Strength training with dogs is the best. Well, of course you are going to do it again next year, your wife knows it, we at bdas know it, you just don’t know it yet.
I think it’s great that you feel great, training is supposed to make us stronger, not want to sleep. IMO you chose the right level.

Edited by Rollergirl 2023-07-25 2:49 PM

2023-07-26 7:24 AM

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

Hi, all.  Starting to taper a little (or at least not thrash my body anymore).  Short warm up bike and a 5K run yesterday with some strength training, then this morning 2500 in the pool and a 45 minute bike at lunch.  Swim felt great, like I was a swimmer or something. 

@Gretchen:  I agree with Nathalie - you picked the right level if you're heading into the last few weeks not cooked; I'm sure you could have gone harder in some respects but didn't you PR a bunch of stuff during training?

@Nathalie:  throw away stuff?  C'mon the goal is to fill any size house with as much stuff as possible without looking like you're hoarding!    And just do your workouts around the fun planning with your friends - I'm sure they won't miss you for a couple of hours; and love the crazy hockey fan video - so cool!!  Nat's a celebrity spokesperson!!

@Andrew:  enjoy your work trip, though standing around for that long would destroy me; I'd have to get up super early and do something at the hotel gym 'cause there's no way anything is happening in the evening when I'm at a conference

Another USWNT futbol match tonight, this time against The Netherlands so it should be a good test.

2023-07-26 8:42 AM
in reply to: jmhpsu93

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
2500yd swim this morning for me, to be followed by a 2 hour Z1 ride at some point today (hopefully early!)...as soon as my kit dries. There was a laundry miscommunication with my wife and I came home from swimming and none of my tri shorts are clean. So, tossed them in the wash and now have to wait for them to dry (somewhat). In the mean time, I shall watch the temperature climb! Heat acclimatization training!! I will also shop for more shorts. :P
2023-07-26 4:16 PM

User image

Regular
Auckland, North Island
Back home last night, and back into normal life again today.

So far this week, 3 morning runs, all about 30 minutes. 2 easy/Z2 and the last one with 3x3' Cruise intervals. A bit more fun for the last day, and the first higher effort one I've done in a while.

Gretchen, we were at a trade show in the convention center in central Melbourne, not sure how far that is to St Kilda (For all my Australian visits over the years, this is the first time I've actually stayed in Melbourne), but to be honest I have to agree with Mike anyway, after a day on the stand any workout motivation is long gone. It's time for a beer, a steak and bed. So 5:30am for a run along the river is it.

Bigger problem, I didn't bring any swim kit with me. Haha.

Morning off today, after travel day. Back on the bike tomorrow AM.

2023-07-27 3:43 AM

User image

, Kronobergs lan

Welcome back on the bike!

After 6 pretty intense days, day off today. I need it, legs are heavy this morning. Won’t be doing much tomorrow either as Saturday is race day whohooo!

2018 Nat, watch out, I am coming for your record. Based on my times at the training sprint on Monday, I reckon I have it it me to thrash it by 2 minutes…

2023-07-27 11:27 AM

User image

Carbondale, Illinois

What?!?!! You don't travel with swim kit on just in case you find a pool?!?!?! I think you are doing work travel wrong. :D

2023-07-27 11:28 AM

User image

Carbondale, Illinois

Welcome back on the bike!

After 6 pretty intense days, day off today. I need it, legs are heavy this morning. Won’t be doing much tomorrow either as Saturday is race day whohooo!

2018 Nat, watch out, I am coming for your record. Based on my times at the training sprint on Monday, I reckon I have it it me to thrash it by 2 minutes…

GET HER!!!! Go Nat!!! Good luck on your race! (in case I die on my 6 hr ride/1 hr run brick tomorrow in 102F heat)
2023-07-27 11:30 AM

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
Originally posted by jmhpsu93

Hi, all.  Starting to taper a little (or at least not thrash my body anymore).  Short warm up bike and a 5K run yesterday with some strength training, then this morning 2500 in the pool and a 45 minute bike at lunch.  Swim felt great, like I was a swimmer or something. 

@Gretchen:  I agree with Nathalie - you picked the right level if you're heading into the last few weeks not cooked; I'm sure you could have gone harder in some respects but didn't you PR a bunch of stuff during training?

Taper crazies?

I did PR a bunch of stuff in recent races/training...but...but...but...maybe I could have PR'd by MORE! I mean...isn't this about the time you are supposed to question all your training?!?! It feels about right. :D
2023-07-27 11:34 AM

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
Up at 4am to get my 2:45 run in before my Arabic lesson at 8am. Run was pretty good, although I could have done without the dude who felt it necessary to yell at me from the dark that it was too hot to be running and I should go home. Scared the cr@p out of me. Why do people feel the need to comment on others' activities? Anyway, run was good--solid, felt like I could go at that pace all day and stayed in Z2 HR. In the end, I had the second fastest all time 10mi run, with the first fastest being my recent HM PR, where I decidedly DID NOT stay in Z2 for the whole run. That feels pretty good. After my lesson, I did my last strength training session until after MiTi. Not sure what everyone thinks about this, but I read once (maybe in Strength Training for Triathletes) that you should stop doing strength workouts about two weeks out from your A race, to give your body time to rest, repair, and absorb the gains. It fits with the idea of tapering, at least.

Off to try to see how many times I can get my wife to ask me what I am doing now...with full exasperation...before the end of the day. :D :D :D
2023-07-27 2:34 PM

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

@Gretchen:  there are always a few things we could have done differently (some in our control and some not) within the training cycle (like actually doing some running for me ); at this point there is zero point in worrying about it; you've had a great training cycle so enjoy the fruits come race day!; FWIW, I do regular strength work up until about 10 days, and after that only REALLY light PT-level strength and core stuff which I'll do even the day before or during warm up

@Nathalie:  Kick 2018 Nat's butt!!!

@Andrew:  I typically bring a pair of goggles (they are permanently in my carry-on) and I use the lightweight Desoto tri shorts as compression shorts so I always have swim stuff; hopefully your world will become it's usual abnormal vs. lately for you

Today was about 50 minutes on the treadmill including WU and CD, with 3.5 miles in Z2 and a few 30" pickups as the main part.  Core work afterwards - mission accomplished.  Still no taper issues as I'm exhausted from sleeping terribly the last two nights (last night up until almost midnight watching the USWNT draw - wow we looked bad for about 50 minutes n that match).  O'dark-thirty 3K in the pool tomorrow (though not quite Gretchen's O'dark-thirty).  We're headed to the state park on Saturday for a short tri run-through including OWS (and it'll be hot so some heat acclimation as well - like 105 heat index right now through Saturday).

2023-07-27 10:51 PM

User image

Regular
Auckland, North Island
I always travel with running kit. I figure that's the sport you can do pretty much anywhere, anytime so best for travel. Although, you make a good point that a pair of goggles and trunks take up little if any room. I'll have to try and remember to add them to the bag for future trips.

@Mike Enjoy the taper madness.

@Gretchen, Pretty much everything I've read says coaches want you to go in 10% under trained, rather than 5% over trained. So feeling like you should have done more, whilst hitting PBs sounds like your level was pretty spot on. Of course, between now and race time (especially on the beach, in your wetsuit with less than an hour to go) you're going to feel you haven't done enough. Everyone does. Its an Ironman (distance, not brand ) Its Effing hard, its an Effing long way, it doesn't matter how prepared you are, I"m confident everyone on that beach wishes they had done more. But, you've done well, trust your training, you will be fine.

@Nathalie, Good luck taking on your arch nemesis. (Past Nat) that b1itch is going down again.

We've got another busy weekend ahead of us. Hopefully will get 2 rides and 1-2 runs between now and the end ot the week. And get some plastering finished in the laundry project.

Have a good weekend guys.

2023-07-28 5:15 AM
in reply to: #5283710

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
Six hour ride and one hour brick run…forecast is 101 freedoms (38-39c) without heat index. Makes me long for the trainer! NOT!! Might die, but certainly not doing this ride on the trainer!!
2023-07-28 9:10 AM

User image

, Kronobergs lan

What?!?!! You don't travel with swim kit on just in case you find a pool?!?!?! I think you are doing work travel wrong. :D

Have to agree here, I always carry a swimsuit and pair of goggles on work trips.
2023-07-28 9:13 AM

User image

, Kronobergs lan

Six hour ride and one hour brick run…forecast is 101 freedoms (38-39c) without heat index. Makes me long for the trainer! NOT!! Might die, but certainly not doing this ride on the trainer!!

That’s hot! Do you have some lakes around to make some strategic stops?
2023-07-28 12:19 PM

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

Originally posted by drfoodlove Six hour ride and one hour brick run…forecast is 101 freedoms (38-39c) without heat index. Makes me long for the trainer! NOT!! Might die, but certainly not doing this ride on the trainer!!

If it's anything like around here, not sure the water would help.  110* F heat index today and the water temps are in the upper 80s.  Daughter and I are going to do a practice tri tomorrow to get acclimated, probably the same rough distance as you, Nathalie though we're not going to hammer it. 

2023-07-28 12:22 PM

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

So I had a Gretchen Pool Morning today...I got there at 6 ready to swim my 3000 and the lifeguard tells me they ran out of the chemical to test the water with (really??) and that pool is going to close at 6:30.  I figured I'd at least get in a little over 1K so I started and during my WU he said to me it would technically be 6:40, so i would up getting to 1300 (sorry for the "not multiple of 250" but I wanted to get in every yard I could).  So basically a long warm up.  So I had some time to kill and did some strength training, probably the last real session.  30+ minutes on the bike in aero at lunch to wrap up my Friday.

Have a good weekend, peeps!  Good luck in your race tomorrow 2023 Nat!

2023-07-29 1:29 AM

User image

, Kronobergs lan

Originally posted by drfoodlove Six hour ride and one hour brick run…forecast is 101 freedoms (38-39c) without heat index. Makes me long for the trainer! NOT!! Might die, but certainly not doing this ride on the trainer!!

If it's anything like around here, not sure the water would help.  110* F heat index today and the water temps are in the upper 80s.  Daughter and I are going to do a practice tri tomorrow to get acclimated, probably the same rough distance as you, Nathalie though we're not going to hammer it. 

I think a dip in water at 89F would help cooling you down if the air is at 110, at least for a little while.

Enjoy your practice tri!
2023-07-29 7:51 AM
in reply to: #5286292

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
Good luck today Nat!!! (Although I suspect it is already over by now!)
2023-07-29 7:54 AM

User image

Carbondale, Illinois

So I had a Gretchen Pool Morning today...I got there at 6 ready to swim my 3000 and the lifeguard tells me they ran out of the chemical to test the water with (really??) and that pool is going to close at 6:30.  I figured I'd at least get in a little over 1K so I started and during my WU he said to me it would technically be 6:40, so i would up getting to 1300 (sorry for the "not multiple of 250" but I wanted to get in every yard I could).  So basically a long warm up.  So I had some time to kill and did some strength training, probably the last real session.  30+ minutes on the bike in aero at lunch to wrap up my Friday.

Have a good weekend, peeps!  Good luck in your race tomorrow 2023 Nat!

I agree with your frustration here. How do they run out of the chemical? Short of supply chain issues, which are largely resolved for now, I don't understand how this happens...you've got ONE job. Good job getting in what you could, when you could. Also, not quite sure what the difference is in letting you do the whole swim versus kicking you out at 6:40. It isn't like the chemicals have a timer on them. You're already in the water...(but I do get that they have to close it at some point).
2023-07-29 7:55 AM

User image

Carbondale, Illinois

I think a dip in water at 89F would help cooling you down if the air is at 110, at least for a little while.

Enjoy your practice tri!

Alas...no ponds/lakes to be found. I was in central Illinois...lots of corn fields, but no large bodies of water. Perhaps a field runoff pond, but I don't want to get in that!
New Thread
Other Resources 2023 Beginner Triathlete Mentor Program » Beer Drinkers Appreciation Society (BDAS) 2023 Mentor Group - ALWAYS OPEN Rss Feed  

of 124

RELATED POSTS

KloOfyRoLaNd's Coach/Mentor Group for Newbies -- OPEN

Started by kloofyroland
Views: 989 Posts: 8

2023-01-26 2:30 PM kloofyroland