BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Beth and Yanti's Newest Manatees - FULL Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 59

2009-07-12 3:10 AM
in reply to: #2069346

User image

Extreme Veteran
Eastern Pennsylvania
Subject: RE: Beth and Yanti's Newest Manatees - FULL
Hi Manatees!

I"LL BE FINE IN A COUPLE DAYS!

Got it? O.k.

I'm trying to ramp up my training and went out for a 50-60 ride Saturday morning. Since this was the farthest I had ridden before I took it easy just wanting to get the distance in. I was close to 50 miles, tired but doing o.k. overall and looking forward to finishing the ride and the next thing I know I'm waking up in the back of an ambulance on the way to the trama center. Had no idea what day or month it was. Looking back, that was kind of funny.

I'LL BE FINE IN A COUPLE OF DAYS!

From what I was told, a car made a left hand turn in front of me and I ran into the side of it. I got a nice nap on the pavement (don't know how long I was out), a concussion, a nasty cut on my thumb with a bunch of stitches and some bruises all over but otherwise I'm o.k. They did some tests (I remember the CT scan but that's about it) but didn't admit me so I guess they weren't too worried.

They say my bike is in bad shape. That's disappointing!

Take some advice from someone who knows;
1) Wear a helmet when you ride. It's the difference between a concussion and a serious brain injury.
2) Make sure you always have i.d. with you. I bought a road i.d. necklace a few years ago and never thought I would need it.....
3) Say a prayer for the police and ems people. They will take care of you when you need it most.

I'm sleeping for a couple hours at a time and then wide awake. That's why I'm writing this at 4:00 eastern time. I hope that doesn't last long....

Be safe!

Art

2009-07-12 4:48 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Eastern Pennsylvania
On a lighter note....They cut my shirt off (with the blood & stuff I wouldn't have worn it anyway) but they slid off my biking shorts instead of cutting them off. I remember hearing one of the ems people saying "they're pretty expensive, we should try to save them..." Nice!

Art
2009-07-12 8:54 AM
in reply to: #2278859

User image

Melon Presser
reid15 - 2009-07-12 4:48 PM On a lighter note....They cut my shirt off (with the blood & stuff I wouldn't have worn it anyway) but they slid off my biking shorts instead of cutting them off. I remember hearing one of the ems people saying "they're pretty expensive, we should try to save them..." Nice! Art

Art! I am sooooo glad you are okay (will be okay). My lands!!! Thank you for posting.

Super LOL on the bike shorts though .... so funny that you also made sure to mention the state of your gear

However I am so sorry about your bike. Any chance of fixing the frame or is that beyond kaput too?
2009-07-12 8:55 AM

User image

TinkerBeth
Liverpool, New York
Art - I am so thankful you are ok!  excellent advice as well! - that is great that they saved the bike shorts

TR - oh my goodness girlfriend!  You do need some Gibbs therapy - I'll get right on it

Sharie - you are one busy lady, hang in there and i hope the skies clear for you

Cathy - still sending prayers and positive thoughts!

Lynn - tell us more about Reiki - sounds intruiging

2009-07-12 10:38 AM
in reply to: #2279030

User image

Master
Vista, CA

Art!! I KNOW you'll be okay and I'm so glad you have a sense of humor about it. Geez! Reminders all the time that what we do isn't the safest thing in the world. Your crash sounds like what happened to my husband last fall. He was riding down a big hill, had a blowout and next thing he remembered was waking up in the ambulance. YES, thank goodness for helmets. My DH's husband cracked! He was kind of mentally foggy for a couple of week, concussion as well. So, take it easy. Sorry they couldn't salvage your bike duds. ;-) Glad they salvaged you!

Beth-- As far as Reiki goes, its universal healing energy from the Japanese tradition and I've been trained in it for about 5 or 6 years now. Can do hands on and send distant treatments. So if you or anyone ever needs/wants a treatment, just ask. I need permission to send it to someone and a photo (avatars would work) and where they live. It all travels through the ethers. Another mystery of life. What's Gibbs?

I've got a 1:50 run today, thats an hour and 50 minutes, OMG. Haven't run that far since my last 1/2 marathon. That should put me at 10+ miles depending on my pace. Supposed to be a lsr. Okay, I'm off.

Happy Sunday and again Art, take real good care. Do you have some beautiful nursemaids in skimpy clothing to care for you or do you even care at this point?

2009-07-12 11:12 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Eastern Pennsylvania
Up from my latest nap. Thanks for the well wishes!

I haven't seen the bike (last thing I remember I was riding it and it was fine...lol) so I'm not sure how bad it is. The police have it at the station. I hope it can be fixed, I really like that bike!

Lynn - good luck on your run.

Art

2009-07-12 11:24 AM
in reply to: #2279103

User image

Extreme Veteran
Eastern Pennsylvania
lmscozz - 2009-07-12 11:38 AM

Happy Sunday and again Art, take real good care. Do you have some beautiful nursemaids in skimpy clothing to care for you or do you even care at this point?

My wife is taking good care of me! I felt bad for her yesterday. The ems people called when she was at a bridal shower 1-1/2 hours from the hospital. I wouldn't want that call.

2009-07-12 11:26 AM
in reply to: #2279103

User image

Master
Victoria, BC
Haha ... what's Gibbs ... weeeellll - Gibbs is a fictional character on a tv show, and I am madly in love with him. He embodies all that I find attractive in a personality, but also makes me want to lick the screen with his raw animal magnetic sexiness. ;-)

Beth sends me pictures of him in my inspires when I need a boost. And I LOVE her for it.

Further on Reiki - we're all familiar with the aura, prana, life-force, etc - the energy field that every living thing has ... sometimes our energy channels get blocked, our chakras don't spin freely, and our energy gets "stuck" or stagnant in certain areas ... this can manifest in both emotional and physical ways - illness, disease, depression, anger, violence, fear, etc. INJURIES - yup - even injuries. My back/hip injury is related to my kidney meridian, to stress, and to my unhappiness with myself right now ... my acupunturist has been doing tests - my left hip is very weak - he puts needles at various points in my kidney meridian and my strength almost doubles .. I totally believe this stuff.

Anyway, back to Reiki - an in-person treatment is kind of like massage, except the recipient will be lying (in my clinic) on a massage table, fully clothed, and under a blanket (that's standard, but some people use the floor). The practitioner will move around the person, laying hands in certain areas, gently massaging others, and generally just working with the energy field to remove blockages, bring energy to stagnant areas, and work through any stuck areas.
The recipient may feel heat, prickling, tingling, pulling, or sometimes cold, on the area being worked on. Often my clients experience intense emotional releases - laughter and/or crying - and that's normal. Sometimes my clients experience unsolicited physical movements (yesterday I did a treatment and the client's left arm kept jolting up) ... sometimes clients will have profound spiritual or energetic experiences ... last week I did a treatment and my client very distinctly felt 3 hands working on her ... a few days ago a client appeared to be sleeping - afterwards she said she was actually in another realm having a conversation with her daughter, who passed away a few years ago ...

Anyway - it's very cool. Very healing ... if nothing else it's nice to lay down, meditate, and have someone touch you gently and caringly for an hour. ;-)

Reiki practitioners are "attuned" to ascending degrees - each attunement/degree making our Reiki stronger ... it's something that you may only believe once you experience it - but each attunement I've had (I'm on my third degree, soon to come will be my Masters which is the highest and means I can perform attunements and train new Reiki practitioners) .. each attunement has made me more instinctual, more insightful, and generally calmer as a person. I feel more in touch with the world around me that I can't see - the creatures and energies that don't live in "this" world, but that are most definately here, and that really grounds me.

And that's your Sunday morning lesson, kids! lol.

2009-07-12 11:29 AM
in reply to: #2279137

User image

Master
Victoria, BC
ART - so glad you are ok! Saw your post in Triathon Talk ... heal up quick, and good luck with the insurance stuff! Sounds like the police are all over it, though, so you'll have a good report done (as bad as this sounds) in your favour .. which is half the battle. No real need to "prove" that the driver was in the wrong.

((hugs))
2009-07-12 12:43 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Eastern Pennsylvania
O.k., I'm not making any long term decisions today but.... I was just ramping up training for an HIM at the end of August. The goal really was just to finish before the cutoffs and I think I was on track to do that with 6-7 weeks to go until yesterday.

Now that I'm a little banged up and my bike is in "who knows" condition do you think I can still do it? The cutoff for partial refunds was Friday (go figure). What do you think wise tri-people?

Art
2009-07-13 6:46 AM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.

2009-07-13 9:21 AM

Extreme Veteran
Eastern Pennsylvania
Good Morning Manatees!

Rough night, feels like I got hit by a truck. I have an appointment with my doctor this afternoon so I'll know a little more about what to expect as far as recovery is concerned after that.

Bill - Good advice. I'll send them an email after I see the doctor.

Art
2009-07-13 9:58 AM

Veteran
Wyoming
Art - glad you are ok and in healing mode now.   Scary thing for sure!   I told my dh, with the disclaimer of "maybe I shouldn't be telling you this", because he already worries about me all the time.....then I went for a bike ride!   I agree with Bill about not pushing yourself.   Your body may not be able to handle the added stress of hard training for the next few weeks and that could lead to a training injury on top of an already bruised body.    Go for the deferment.

Interesting that we have so many reiki practitioners here!  

My story for the weekend is that I got caught out in an intense storm that had a little twister in it.   I looked down the road soon enough and saw the wall of rain/hail that I took cover under the front end of a horse trailer (it is what is called a "gooseneck" trailer which hitches into the bed of a pickup...so I could stand up under it).    The rain and hail hit as I was ducking under...then the wind....then the change in wind and the trailer started shaking.   I was very aware that I might need to run for the nearest ditch and get out from under the trailer...but then it stopped shaking.   That wind/twister uprooted a huge, old cottonwood tree just a few hundred yards away from where I was!   YIKES!   Although it was muddy and my shoes were soaked, I did have a nice 2 mile run.

Sharie
2009-07-13 1:41 PM
in reply to: #2280817

Master
Victoria, BC
Art - heal! Take it easy, there's other races so please don't push yourself ... if you feel ready, though - pain-free and confident, maybe re-consider closer to race day? But in the meantime, don't put any extra pressure on yourself. Just take each day as it comes.

Sharie - scary! Glad you are ok. You guys have had some crazy weather ... here it's just colder than normal for a few days, then with a heat wave for a few days ... it's weird. My garden is confused.

As an aside - I heard on the radio this morning that "the scientists" - whoever they may be - have announced that El Nino is back this year. That may have something to do with it.
2009-07-13 4:42 PM

Extreme Veteran
Eastern Pennsylvania
duplicate post

Edited by reid15 2009-07-13 5:08 PM
2009-07-13 5:04 PM

Extreme Veteran
Eastern Pennsylvania
duplicate post

Edited by reid15 2009-07-13 5:07 PM

2009-07-13 5:04 PM

Extreme Veteran
Eastern Pennsylvania
So here is a picture of what is left of my bike. The forks snapped right off....

(IMG_2406 - Copy.JPG)

Attachments
----------------
IMG_2406 - Copy.JPG (50KB - 6 downloads)
2009-07-13 7:23 PM
in reply to: #2282289

TinkerBeth
Liverpool, New York
reid15 - 2009-07-13 6:04 PM So here is a picture of what is left of my bike. The forks snapped right off....

Holy Buckets!!!!!

wow, I am so glad you are ok!

Good advice from everyone on not pushing it

Heal - it will take longer than you hope, but worth it in the long run!

2009-07-13 7:36 PM
in reply to: #2280288

TinkerBeth
Liverpool, New York
wgraves7582 - 2009-07-13 7:46 AM

Art - glad you are ok and it sounds like you are in good hands

Hope all gets resolved for you easily and now maybe it is time to upgrade that bike

I wouldn't push the race, see how you feel as it approaches and go from there.  Sounds like you were pretty beat up so I would take it easy.  Since you can't get a refund maybe ask the RD for a deferment to next year and send him some pictures as proof and police report.

Get better.

BTW - Good morning manatees.  Hope everyone had an enjoyable weekend!

Hi Bill!

Did you have a good visit with your sis?

2009-07-13 7:37 PM
in reply to: #2280817

TinkerBeth
Liverpool, New York
ranchrunner - 2009-07-13 10:58 AM Art - glad you are ok and in healing mode now.   Scary thing for sure!   I told my dh, with the disclaimer of "maybe I shouldn't be telling you this", because he already worries about me all the time.....then I went for a bike ride!   I agree with Bill about not pushing yourself.   Your body may not be able to handle the added stress of hard training for the next few weeks and that could lead to a training injury on top of an already bruised body.    Go for the deferment.

Interesting that we have so many reiki practitioners here!  

My story for the weekend is that I got caught out in an intense storm that had a little twister in it.   I looked down the road soon enough and saw the wall of rain/hail that I took cover under the front end of a horse trailer (it is what is called a "gooseneck" trailer which hitches into the bed of a pickup...so I could stand up under it).    The rain and hail hit as I was ducking under...then the wind....then the change in wind and the trailer started shaking.   I was very aware that I might need to run for the nearest ditch and get out from under the trailer...but then it stopped shaking.   That wind/twister uprooted a huge, old cottonwood tree just a few hundred yards away from where I was!   YIKES!   Although it was muddy and my shoes were soaked, I did have a nice 2 mile run.

Sharie

wowsa!

Glad you're ok Sharie!

2009-07-13 8:36 PM
in reply to: #2282289

Master
Victoria, BC
Art - WOW! All I can say is ... duuuuude ... SO glad you are ok!

How are you feeling?

2009-07-13 9:57 PM

Wow, catching up on posts and we must be the most interesting group on BT!

Cathy, I'm keeping you in my prayers. I hope your family is hanging in there.

Art, I am soooo glad you are ok!!! How scary, looking at your bike I'm thankful you are up and posting. Your poor wife....that is one call I hope I never get. Sending you good wishes.

Sharie,Living in CO, I get freaked out by the quick change in weather. So many tourists get caught climbing the peaks around here on a gorgeous sunny morning, only to be caught 2 hours later in torrential storms or even semi blizzards. Anyways, the wind here blows in out of nowhere and I still haven't gotten used to it.  How scary for you.....I would have had a heart attack!

Lauren

2009-07-14 12:37 AM

Veteran
Wyoming
Yowza, Art!   That was one heck of a bike wreck.   I would say it is a miracle that you are here chatting with us!

Another frustrating day of inactivity!    My body seems to be ready now, but where is the time to train?   My morning was spent trying to find my old files on the computer so I could do some billing for the ranch.   My afternoon and evening was spent running after parts for tractors and our big "event" on Wednesday....shipping our 2008 wheat! (it was our first season as wheat growers)  I have been trying to sell it since last Oct. and finally got it sold!   The bank acct really needs to sale to go smoothly!

2009-07-14 6:19 AM
in reply to: #2282549

2009-07-14 6:20 AM

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Beth and Yanti's Newest Manatees - FULL Rss Feed  

of 59