BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Baowolf's Beginner Banquet -Sorry all tables are full no room.. Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 61

2011-09-04 4:04 PM
in reply to: #3672846

User image

Extreme Veteran
Memphis
Subject: RE: Baowolf's Beginner Banquet -Sorry all tables are full no room..
It's still a draft. Make it public.

2011-09-04 4:13 PM
in reply to: #3434952

User image

Veteran

Okay, this should be good now.

http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=267225

2011-09-05 9:58 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Memphis

Let's go Carol.  I'm guessing she's a couple of miles into the run already.

Got in my 15 mile long walk last night.  I'm surprised I was able to keep a 13:30 pace for such a distance.  Got in a 2500 yd swim this morning.  That's more than the past 2 weeks combined.  

Knee is getting better.  Not aware of the soreness much at all now.  I still feel it while swimming and of course if I run one it for a little while.  I'm going to go a little longer without running.  I've been very good about foam rolling, sticking, stretching and the strength exercises.

Headed out to the zoo today with the wife and kids.

Edited by dhwebb 2011-09-05 10:01 AM
2011-09-05 11:09 AM

User image

Veteran

Go Carol!! Looking forward to your report.

Have fun at the zoo!

2011-09-05 6:15 PM
in reply to: #3673449

User image

Extreme Veteran
Memphis

I looked online and saw that Carol's race results. I won't steal her thunder by giving any details but just thought I'd let everybody(the 3 of us left in this group) know.  I'm eager to hear her details.

Samantha, I forgot to mention it but good job on the very detailed race report.  I enjoyed the read.  

2011-09-05 6:32 PM

User image

Veteran
Thanks Dennis! I am so stoked to hear how carol did. I bet she kicked butt. Yeah, there are only four regular posters left in our group. Hope all others are continuing the journey.

2011-09-06 12:10 PM

User image

Expert
Grapevine, Texas

OK, Samantha.  You have been holding out on us.  You rocked your OLY!!!!!  Seriously, I would kill for your bike time.  And LOL on the sighting, you say you don't sight enough, and I feel like I sight too much.  Awesome job!  Image what you will be able to do without major life change and a move thrown in there.

As for mine, I was not quite so speedy, and it was a mixed, but overall good bag.  3:31 and 18/22 in AG overall.  Complete race report is here:  http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=267437.  Overall I'm pleased with it as my first OLY.  I'm very happy with my bike leg....finally averaged over 16 mph in a race and handled the hills just fine.  They really weren't bad at all.  The run got me this time.   Legs cramped up on me....some small muscle on the top of my knee, and a few places in my calves.  So I walked more than I would have liked.  Funny how the things that I was the most nervous about proved to be just fine (swim and bike), and the thing that didn't trouble me at all (run) was the most challenging.  Proved to me how pointless it is to worry since I don't even seem to know what to worry about!  Always things to do better, and my main takeaways were to be less timid on swim pace and sighting, and I need to do more bike to run bricks.  I had a wonderful time with Jackie, who was kind enough to let me stay with her.  And she got 3rd in her AG in the sprint!     

2011-09-06 12:32 PM
in reply to: #3674715

User image

Extreme Veteran
Memphis

About time you posted Carol.  Good job.  Looking at the results yesterday, compared to the rest of the field, you ranked higher as the day went on.  And a 10:30 run pace with walking and cramps isn't bad either.  Way to go.

I also thought the same as you, Samantha's pretty tough on the bike. 

2011-09-06 12:37 PM

User image

Veteran
Wonderful job carol! Your race report will provide great info for you to look at the next time you do an Oly. I love that it was an over-all good experience for you and I bet yOu want to do another one :-) I know I do. Sighting is such a tricky thing. One thing I dont know if I mentioned was that When I went off course I ended up in on coming traffic and probably made a couple guys annoyed at the least. I felt really stupid and had a moment where I wanted to cry. Then I realized two things: it really wasn't the end of th world and I could just redirect and keep swimming; the other thing was I didn't want my goggles filled with tears and causing me grief the rest of he race. I pressed on, and now I have a story to laugh pretty hard about. Anyway, glad you're back! Yeah for the success of the weekend!!
2011-09-06 2:58 PM

User image

Expert
Grapevine, Texas

Thanks Dennis!  OK, your HIM is next up, right? 9/25ish??

Ha, Samantha, glad you are lauging and not crying .  I'm sure that was a nasty surprise out on the swim course, but it IS funny the thought that went through your head about having to deal with the goggles. 

If it makes you feel any better, I did stupid after the first bike loop.  I got on the wrong side of some cones after the first loop, and was about to wind up heading back towards transition instead of back out for the 2nd and 3rd loops.  No, that wasn't the stupid part because honestly, it was a bit confusing due to the positioning of the cones vs. here the signs were.  By the time I could see the signs, I was already on the wrong side of the cones.  The stupid part was that I started turning back towards the course without looking over my shoulder and almost took out some poor soul coming up behind me.  Thankfully he said something, and I was able to straighten back out and tell him to go by me without incident and THEN get back on the course.

And yeah, I'll be ready to do this all over again in about a month...hopefully a little faster.  But for today, the parts that cramped up yesterday are sore enough that walking is it, and sitting is preferred.

2011-09-06 5:40 PM

User image

Elite
Alturas, California

Boy listen to you 2.  Going from not sure I can do a sprint, to not just completing Olys, but strategising about how to improve on the next Oly.  Poppa Baowolf couldn't be prouder.  And Dennis keeping your Type A perconality in check long enough to walk 15 miles without cheating and jogging even a bit (ok well you probably did jog a comple hundred yards here and there, but no one was watching so its all good) and still planning to do your HIM even though you know it won't be the top notch effort you wanted it to be. Just for fun you should all go back and read the first couple of pages of posts you made and look at how far you have come. 

I read a race report of a guy who came in 4th at Kona who got behind on his fluids and calories, tried to make it up too fast and ended up loosing his lunch a few times... and then after walking for 20 minutes regrouped and got back all the way to 4th place... at Kona. 

At my inronman a guy swam so far off course that he bonked heads with me on my side of the line.  At CDA last year I don't even want to mention how far most of us got blown off course with the cross waves. 

It is all good.  It is and adventure and for those of us who are not going to podium, it is just about overcoming the little things or even the big things and crossing that finish line.  Then you can figure out how to do it better next time. 

Feel free to laugh at yourself, we are pushing ourselves hard enough that we sometimes need to get a little distance and say, Hey, I am out here and busting my butt getting it done, and that is enough."  None of us really need to put an S on the front of our shirts and try to fly to the finish line.  We just pour our heart and soul into our training and our races and at the end of the day, what a blast.  Watching sports on TV will never be the same after being in a sport like triathlon.  You are all heros, every day heros.  You might not make the cover of Triathlon Weekly, but you are the heart of what triathlon is for 99% of those who compete.  And if I look back to those couch days.... and now after 3 marathons including Boston, 3 IMs and 2 HIMs... just wow what a journey.  Respect your injuries, recover well, compete as you can and continue to improve.  You have what it takes to go as far as you can in the sport, stregnth of character and determination.  Your body will come along as well as it can to keep up with your heart.  And your families and friends will never understand, but as long as they shake their head in disbeleif to your face and brag about you to their friends, that is enough.  "I know this guy, he rides his bike 120 miles on Saturday then runs 5 miles and then does an 18 mile run on Sunday..."  "Dude the only thing I want to do for 8 hours on a Saturday is drink beer, play cards and watch football." 

You are building a legacy for your children, giving them hero's who don't blow up building or shoot people.  You may occasionally run them over on your bike or kick them in the face on the swim, but that is not intentional.  8). And you keep going no matter how hard things get.  That last part alone will get them far in life.  

Edited by Baowolf 2011-09-06 5:44 PM

2011-09-07 6:13 PM
in reply to: #3675251

User image

Extreme Veteran
Memphis

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^Great post

How's that weather working out for everybody the past few days.  I'm waking up to 50s the past few mornings.  Bought some thermal biking tights and they worked out great this morning.  

2011-09-07 9:52 PM
in reply to: #3676933

User image

Expert
Grapevine, Texas
dhwebb - 2011-09-07 6:13 PM

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^Great post

How's that weather working out for everybody the past few days.  I'm waking up to 50s the past few mornings.  Bought some thermal biking tights and they worked out great this morning.  

Agreed re: Steve's great post.  Right now I'm internalizing the giving the body time to catch up w/ the heart.  Legs are VERY sore in the spots that cramped up.  Once I get going walking I can at least do that, and swimming was OK today.  As you pointed out, we are having some awesome cool mornings.  Once I can get up and moving without cussing, I'll be out there soaking it up with a nice run.

Dennis, have any crazy long bike rides planned for the weekend to break in those new tights?  Are you beyond your peak training for your HIM?  How is the IT band doing? 

How about you Samantha, what is next for you?  Is your new place beautiful?

Steve, is the archery range finished?

2011-09-08 7:33 AM
in reply to: #3677171

User image

Extreme Veteran
Memphis
squirt - 2011-09-07 9:52 PM

Dennis, have any crazy long bike rides planned for the weekend to break in those new tights?  Are you beyond your peak training for your HIM?  How is the IT band doing? 

I have a 56 miler planned for Saturday.  Looks to be in the mid-60s that morning so no tights then.  I'm on my peak week.  Trying to get my bikes and swims in but sick kiddos getting in the way of that.  I'll probably end peak week with 2 bikes and 2 swims.  

I got a walk in on Monday but shouldn't have.  Too close to the long one.  IT band got irritated during the last mile of walking.  So I'm going to slow down on the walking/running also.  Probably do 5 miles tonight.  Sunday should be a 13.1 miler but I think I'll just do around 10.  I haven't tried running in a week and plan on at least another week before trying again.  My thought is this, if I can get a 3 mile run in a week before my race, I will be happy.  Then hopefully on race day I will come out of T2 running and cross the finish line doing the same.  I've tried hard to roll, stretch and strengthen what I've been told to, so I'm confident it will pay off.

2011-09-08 8:12 AM

User image

Expert
Grapevine, Texas

Dennis, you're doing a great job rolling with it.  Your attitude is awesome and will serve you well, for this race and the ones to come.

I need a little more of that attitude....a bit frustrated this morning.  We're having beautiful running weather, and the parts of my legs that cramped during the race are still really sore 3 days out.  Guess I was hoping to wake up this morning to a bit more fade on that.  I have a 10K a week from Saturday, which I thought would be well timed between OLY's + they have the best shirts.  Was also the 1st 10K I ever did (2007), so I was looking forward to maybe having a PR.  Anyway, maybe not so great on the timing, but I'm hanging on for the shirt.

2011-09-08 8:23 AM
in reply to: #3677449

User image

Extreme Veteran
Memphis

I read an article I can't find now about just enjoying a race.  To intentionally run it slowly.  The guy said he signed up for like his 10th marathon and decided to run it at a 10-11 minute pace instead of his normal 8:00 pace.  He says it was his most memorable race ever because he just had fun.  I remember this when I realize I won't be 100% probably.  For some reason I realize that I should race for a PR or for Fun.  Either one should be equally fulfilling.

I have a 10k on Sunday.  I'm going to have fun during it, no PR though.

2011-09-08 10:23 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Memphis

And along the same subject lines.  I have just a few memories from my Oly back in May.  It was all my Thunder teammates rooting for each other as we passed by during the out and back run, the rain, a guy running barefoot carrying his shoes and me not stopping to give an extra CO2 cartridge to a man and woman needing one on the side of the road.

That last one makes me feel bad every time I recall it because I just shrugged my shoulders and said sorry.  I had 3 in my bag because I had never used one and figured it might take a couple of attempts to get one to work the first time.  I could have stopped, given them a CO2 and been back on the road in 60 seconds.  That memory there reminds me there's more to this than just going fast.

I just wanted to get that off my shoulders since the subject of having fun during a race came up.

2011-09-08 2:09 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Memphis
Well my sick child has been better all morning and he actually begged to go to school this afternoon.  Not sure what that says for the school or for spending time with Dad.  Anyway I dropped him off, cam back home and knocked out a 40 mile ride.  It was the first time I have started a ride after 10:00.  I liked it.
2011-09-08 2:35 PM
in reply to: #3677700

User image

Expert
Grapevine, Texas
dhwebb - 2011-09-08 10:23 AM

That memory there reminds me there's more to this than just going fast.

Very true.  I had a case where I should have circled back to check on someone who dropped off the back of a group ride and didn't.  Same guy took a spill on a ride the week before.  Really felt the pull to circle back to find him, but talked myself into thinking it was someone else's responsibility and continued on.  Ride leader didn't realize he was missing until much later.  Yeah, those moments are not very pretty, and hopefully we will both make different decisions next time.

My upcoming 10K is at the Dallas Arboretum.  I will literally be able to smell the roses

2011-09-08 2:40 PM

User image

Elite
Alturas, California

Well,  I thought I had it how I wanted it, but too many arrows were going over the top of the hill and I still have some landscaping to do, so I am going to throw another couple tons of dirt on it and see how that looks.  If that is not enough I may just canabalize the old trampoline flouring that we were going to throw out anyway and string it between two polls for an additional 5 feet.  Any arrows over say 8 feet the kids are just going to have to go chase... or I will just have to go chase.  I doubt the dirt hill will end up being more than 4 1/2 to 5 feet tall.  The base is probably twice as wide as it is tall, but the sides are getting steepish again and it isn't really getting higher with putting more dirt on the top.  Yes I could take the hose and try to wet it down into concrete and such, but shrug.  It is really cute to see my 6 year old shooting arrows though.  The older kids are not into it though... sigh.  I guess we will have to have competitions with prizes.... to sweaten the pot. 

As far as working out goes, my calves are still iffy and my right foot where I got hit with the chair is still iffy, so I think I will just accept that I am not going to be able to race the half mary in a month and just get fully recovered for next season and just get the landscaping and garage.... closer to the way I want them. 

2011-09-08 3:51 PM

User image

Veteran

Steve - I was so inspired by your post I wanted to read it to everyone I know. I didn't because I realized they probably wouldn't really understand why it meant to much to me. This is an interesting world where the ones who understand are few and far between.

Dennis - I am glad you got out on a good ride. I find workouts I do after 10 am are better because I am more awake. Not so much of a good morning person when it comes to working out. But finding time to wokrout in the afternoon or evening is challenging. I am gonna have to work that out since I am working again. Anyway, I am super stoked about your HIM. It seems like we have been waiting so long for this with you and the day is nearly here.

Carol - Sorry your legs are still so sore. Sounds kind of aweful. I have never experienced cramps like that, but it doesn't sound fun. Hoping for recovery in time for your 10k. I would love for you to get a PR.

Letting go of the things I have done that create regret is truly difficult. But holding on to the guilt isn't helpful. I still do it anyway. I love how much this group has developed a sense of perspective on racing that allows us to enjoy the process, smell the roses and care about the people we are racing with. I am glad to be a part of it.

I had my first run after my race this morning. It went okay. It was a morning run and those aren't my best, as I mentioned. I just wish I could get my body to not boycott nearly every time I go running. I suppose its in my head, but I get so frustrated at how far I am not making it and how long my lack of distance takes me. Then I rode my bike to work.

I will be leaving for a backpacking trip on Saturday, then I will prepare to teach first year college students about team building and leadership using a challenge course. Should be a good time! I have a pretty sweet job in a pretty sweet place

Have a wonderful day!

2011-09-08 6:22 PM

User image

Veteran
Daytona Beach
Samantha and Carol/ you both rock! I am so happy for the both of you! Just finishing an OLY for me now is so impressive! Way to go! On to the next? Dennis, seriously? Temps in the 50's? Wow when I hit the road at 4:30 am it is already up to 80! Still have not had time to post any runs and I refuse to do so from this phone. BT is hard to post workouts from a phone, or maybe it is just me. I have a longer run this weekend-16 next week an 18 the my first 20 after that. I actually got on my bike and rode last weekend. It was so nice to be back on the saddle. Tried to keep the pace at 17 but after a few weeks off, I could feel the strain. Teach me not to ride! Once again, congrats Samantha and Carol!
2011-09-09 1:22 PM

User image

Expert
Grapevine, Texas

Steve, sounds like you have a bit of project creep on that archery range!  Are your kids too young to offer up a prize for whoever moves the most dirt to the mound?  Oops, might be violating child labor laws there!

Karen, nice long runs you are getting in there!  Glad to hear from you, even if from the phone .

Dennis, glad your son is feeling better and you got a bike ride it!  Stolen moments like that are always fun!  Good luck soaking it all in at your 10K!

Samantha, I just love reading your posts.  You really have a way with words, and your gentle spirit comes shining through.  Glad you are liking your new home!  Hey, I did a teeny bit of core and strength work at the park yesterday and thought of you.

My appetite has been NUTS this week, and I haven't had the calorie burn to support it.  Went out with a friend for nachoes and margarita swirl last night and woke up this morning with my legs feeling MUCH better.  Maybe I should have tried that "cure" earlier!  I think this is the week the bike group does the crazy insane 100 mile and 100K rides, so will probably try riding later today, and then a nice run in the cool morning temps tomorrow.   

2011-09-09 2:10 PM
in reply to: #3678615

User image

Extreme Veteran
Memphis

trigator01 - 2011-09-08 6:22 PM

till have not had time to post any runs and I refuse to do so from this phone. BT is hard to post workouts from a phone

iPhone and Android users have access to the free BeginnerTriathlete app for posting work outs and looking at planned work outs.  I've used it a few time.

2011-09-09 2:46 PM

User image

Expert
Grapevine, Texas
Pharmacist from our legit mail order pharmacy just called to check on my "status as a diabetic" and to see if he could save me some $$'s on insulin.  One of the questions he asked is if I had considered maybe getting out to go for walks occasionally.  I rather enjoyed laying on him that I was a triathlete.  I think it was the first time I've ever called myself that out loud.  Left him searching for words, and put a big smile on my face
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Baowolf's Beginner Banquet -Sorry all tables are full no room.. Rss Feed  

of 61