General Discussion Iron Distance Race Groups » Ironman Florida : Official Thread Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 64

2012-10-17 9:37 AM
in reply to: #3589984

User image

Expert
Santa Fe, New Mexico
Silver member
Subject: RE: Ironman Florida : Official Thread

Bubble wrap is the secret to keeping things cold in special needs.  Get one of those bubble wrap mail envelopes and put what ever you want to stay cold in there an seal it up.  I also put an extra layer of bubble wrap around my bike SN nutrition bottle.  It was very chilly still and was wonderful in the early afternoon when it was heating up outside.

If you're going to put any liquid in any of your bags, I recommend putting the bottle or whatever in a large ziploc.  That way if it leaks you don't have wet and maybe sticky all over your other stuff. 

2012-10-17 10:11 AM

User image

Champion
Williamston, Michigan
So I am scheduled to do an organized century this weekend.  I had a tumultous ride last sunday, got caught in a BAD rainstorm and nearly got taken out by an 18 wheeler.  I was feeling super strong on the bike and I was actually a little put off i had to pack up but I was really not feeling it was safe to ride in the monsoon that had hit.  Now I am not sure if I should do the scheduled century.  I am new to the area and have not done this ride before.  I dont know how the roadie climate is; if I will be ostracized for being on a tri bike.  I do not know the area at all.  I just don't want to wreck and the weather here in S. Florida is very unpredictable.  It rains here a LOT and its never a gentle rain, its always a torrential downpour.  I dont' want to gut out 50 miles in a downpour on unfamiliar roads.  Not sure what to do.  What say you oh mighty BTers
2012-10-17 10:36 AM

User image

Veteran
Berkley
I say stay safe and ride the trainer (assuming you have one). The extra risk is now worth it this close to the race. I've seen too many reports this year about people getting hit by cars. IMO - take the safe route and pop in the Lord of the Rings directors edition, that can give you 6 hours of viewing pleasure :p 
2012-10-17 11:13 AM
in reply to: #4457440

User image

Champion
Williamston, Michigan

deboerkj - 2012-10-17 10:36 AM I say stay safe and ride the trainer (assuming you have one). The extra risk is now worth it this close to the race. I've seen too many reports this year about people getting hit by cars. IMO - take the safe route and pop in the Lord of the Rings directors edition, that can give you 6 hours of viewing pleasure :p 

LOL I would fall asleep I hate those movies They are a great sedative.  I am feeling very guilty needing my coach right now.  His son is battling brain cancer and is in the hospital again so I don't want to bother him with questions, which, in the greater scheme  of life and having a 15  month old with brain cancer, my stupid race does not matter a hoot. 

2012-10-17 11:49 AM
in reply to: #4457527

User image

Master
Small Town

Socks - 2012-10-17 12:13 PM

I am feeling very guilty needing my coach right now. 

Feel free to message me with questions or to talk if you want.  I'd be happy to help give you some guidance (no charge) to supplement your current coach.  You already know this thread is a safe place to ask questions too, I understand how you feel about wanting your coach but at the same time you consider his situation.

2012-10-17 11:56 AM
in reply to: #4457601

User image

Champion
Williamston, Michigan
JHag - 2012-10-17 11:49 AM

Feel free to message me with questions or to talk if you want.  I'd be happy to help give you some guidance (no charge) to supplement your current coach.  You already know this thread is a safe place to ask questions too, I understand how you feel about wanting your coach but at the same time you consider his situation.

thanks.  mostly I am just apprehensive about this organized century this weekend and if I should do it or not.  I just moved here from a very remote place with no races or rides of any sort and when we talked about it and I signed up it seemed a good idea.  Catered ride and the opportunity to meet some people etc.  Now with the race 17 days away and having had a sketchy ride last week with bad weather and traffic I am unsure if its a good idea.  I dont' want to wreck, get hit by a car, or get caught in bad weather in an area I am unfamiliar with.  the rest of it I am good with.  Its my 7th IM so I got the nutrition thing etc down. 

2012-10-17 12:22 PM
in reply to: #4457392

User image

Expert

Socks - 2012-10-17 10:11 AM So I am scheduled to do an organized century this weekend.  I had a tumultous ride last sunday, got caught in a BAD rainstorm and nearly got taken out by an 18 wheeler.  I was feeling super strong on the bike and I was actually a little put off i had to pack up but I was really not feeling it was safe to ride in the monsoon that had hit.  Now I am not sure if I should do the scheduled century.  I am new to the area and have not done this ride before.  I dont know how the roadie climate is; if I will be ostracized for being on a tri bike.  I do not know the area at all.  I just don't want to wreck and the weather here in S. Florida is very unpredictable.  It rains here a LOT and its never a gentle rain, its always a torrential downpour.  I dont' want to gut out 50 miles in a downpour on unfamiliar roads.  Not sure what to do.  What say you oh mighty BTers

Socks,

I think you said earlier that this is your last build week right?  I'd go and check it out.  Might be a great group of people and a great ride.  Or it might not be a fit and you come home and ride.  Never know until you go and the upside is you get a cool 100 mi ride in.  there is no downside except getting up early

Just think, in 2 weeks I will probably be picking up my packet about now.

Duane

2012-10-17 12:38 PM
in reply to: #4457613

User image

Master
Small Town
Socks - 2012-10-17 12:56 PM

thanks.  mostly I am just apprehensive about this organized century this weekend and if I should do it or not.  I just moved here from a very remote place with no races or rides of any sort and when we talked about it and I signed up it seemed a good idea.  Catered ride and the opportunity to meet some people etc.  Now with the race 17 days away and having had a sketchy ride last week with bad weather and traffic I am unsure if its a good idea.  I dont' want to wreck, get hit by a car, or get caught in bad weather in an area I am unfamiliar with.  the rest of it I am good with.  Its my 7th IM so I got the nutrition thing etc down. 

With 7 IM's in the past I assume that you're mentally prepared for this race.

What are your goals, how have your past IM rides been and how about your IM runs?    I won't jump into a lot of crazy questions with you but I think I would do the ride.  Given your concerns you could ride easy and focus on meeting people.  Have fun with it.  You could avoid thinking of this as your last big training ride and simply enjoy the day.  Keep your cadence high but your HR or Watts low - Zone1-2 -- if you feel good/confident at the 75 mile mark then maybe jump up to a race pace or race effort for 20 miles. 

You can certainly 'call the audible' on ride morning and go with your gut feeling.  Stick with a group of people who seem to have a similar base as you and ride to the right.

I wish you the best and I'd be happy to talk anytime.

2012-10-17 1:12 PM
in reply to: #4457675

User image

Champion
Williamston, Michigan
Duanerice - 2012-10-17 12:22 PM

Socks - 2012-10-17 10:11 AM So I am scheduled to do an organized century this weekend.  I had a tumultous ride last sunday, got caught in a BAD rainstorm and nearly got taken out by an 18 wheeler.  I was feeling super strong on the bike and I was actually a little put off i had to pack up but I was really not feeling it was safe to ride in the monsoon that had hit.  Now I am not sure if I should do the scheduled century.  I am new to the area and have not done this ride before.  I dont know how the roadie climate is; if I will be ostracized for being on a tri bike.  I do not know the area at all.  I just don't want to wreck and the weather here in S. Florida is very unpredictable.  It rains here a LOT and its never a gentle rain, its always a torrential downpour.  I dont' want to gut out 50 miles in a downpour on unfamiliar roads.  Not sure what to do.  What say you oh mighty BTers

Socks,

I think you said earlier that this is your last build week right?  I'd go and check it out.  Might be a great group of people and a great ride.  Or it might not be a fit and you come home and ride.  Never know until you go and the upside is you get a cool 100 mi ride in.  there is no downside except getting up early

Just think, in 2 weeks I will probably be picking up my packet about now.

Duane

In 2 weeks I will probabaly be in the car driving north those are happy thoughts right there!!!!

2012-10-17 1:16 PM
in reply to: #4457723

User image

Champion
Williamston, Michigan
JHag - 2012-10-17 12:38 PM

With 7 IM's in the past I assume that you're mentally prepared for this race.

What are your goals, how have your past IM rides been and how about your IM runs?    I won't jump into a lot of crazy questions with you but I think I would do the ride.  Given your concerns you could ride easy and focus on meeting people.  Have fun with it.  You could avoid thinking of this as your last big training ride and simply enjoy the day.  Keep your cadence high but your HR or Watts low - Zone1-2 -- if you feel good/confident at the 75 mile mark then maybe jump up to a race pace or race effort for 20 miles. 

You can certainly 'call the audible' on ride morning and go with your gut feeling.  Stick with a group of people who seem to have a similar base as you and ride to the right.

I wish you the best and I'd be happy to talk anytime.

thanks.  Mentally I am there.  I dont' really have any goals this year except to do my best and finish.  Its been a bad year on a lot of levels.  I will finish but it most likely will not be a PR.  Training just wan't there due to a constellation of things.   I admit to being over the long stuff.  Some of this is that I  just want to get the bloody ride done and be over with it.  Another 100 miler to get done sucking up the whole day.  Doing the century I will be getting started later than I would on my own with a much longer drive home I am just not seeing a fun angle to it right now. 

2012-10-17 2:46 PM
in reply to: #4457790

User image

Expert
Santa Fe, New Mexico
Silver member

Socks - 2012-10-17 1:16 PM
JHag - 2012-10-17 12:38 PM

Doing the century I will be getting started later than I would on my own with a much longer drive home I am just not seeing a fun angle to it right now

I think that's the telling part of the statement.  Why do something that's supposed to be for fun if it's not sounding fun? 

There's risk riding with strangers, but there's some safety riding in a group, in a sponsored event too.

2012-10-17 2:58 PM

User image

Expert
Santa Fe, New Mexico
Silver member

Thanks for the nutrition discussion.  A couple of hitches in my ride caused my nutrition plan to pretty much fail last weekend, and so I'm doing a little rethinking.

My usual race day plan:

Breakfast as every day: 2 eggs cooked with 1tbs of olive oil.  Bowl of frosted miniwheats with fruit.  Cup of tea.  On race day I eat a Cliff bar 20 min before start.

Bike: Perpetuem 1.5 scoops per hour mixed in a multi hour bottle.  1/2 strength Gatoraide to drink.  Powerbar gel every hour.  I'm usually hungry when I get out of the swim and start my nutrition right away.

Run: What seems to be working for long runs this year: Cliff blocks, about 1 every 5 min, Powerbar gel every 1/2 hour, Powerbar protein bites 1/2 every 1/2 hour.  1/2 strength Gatoraide to drink.

what happened this weekend: 1/2 hour fixing a flat that I didn't take into account time wise.  I was not dressed properly for how cool it was, and that probably took more energy.  I mixed a 6 hour perpetuem bottle but the ride total time was more like 8 hours. 

All I could think about was: I wonder if I could put a Subway sandwich in my SN bag?  I really wanted some solid food!  so thanks for the ideas about solid food in SN bags.  Any one else put real food in the SN bag?

2012-10-17 5:11 PM
in reply to: #4457601

User image

Extreme Veteran

What is everyone's taper schedule like? I did a hard 4hr ride today and hard 4 mile run.  But I wish I could take it back.  My hip flexors are screaming at me! I hope they are better for tomorrows workout.  I think I will drop the intensity for the rest of the week.  Here is my 3 week taper:

Week 3: Swim:4hrs, Bike: 11hrs, Run: 30miles(~4hrs)

Week 2: Swim: 5hrs, Bike 6hrs, Run: 20 miles(2.5hrs)

Week 1: Race Week.  Maybe a few rides and short runs

2012-10-18 7:11 AM
in reply to: #4458147

User image

Master
Charlotte
MRDAVIDALEXANDER - 2012-10-17 6:11 PM

What is everyone's taper schedule like? I did a hard 4hr ride today and hard 4 mile run.  But I wish I could take it back.  My hip flexors are screaming at me! I hope they are better for tomorrows workout.  I think I will drop the intensity for the rest of the week.  Here is my 3 week taper:

Week 3: Swim:4hrs, Bike: 11hrs, Run: 30miles(~4hrs)

Week 2: Swim: 5hrs, Bike 6hrs, Run: 20 miles(2.5hrs)

Week 1: Race Week.  Maybe a few rides and short runs

19 hours is taper week? God bless ya!

For me:

Week 3: Swim 10500y - Bike 128m - Run 34m - 14.25 hours

Week 2: Swim 9000y - Bike 91m - Run 26m - 10 hours

Week 1: Swim 4000y - Bike 40m - Run 10m  - 6 hours (this week is flexible as I have 10hr drive + visiting w/ brother in-law + trick or treating)

Some intensity but in shorter intervals than before. So far the reduced hours feel great (expect my swim is not tapering this week).

2012-10-18 8:42 AM

User image

Expert

Here is my schedule for the next few weeks.  Looks like we are all following the "swimming is easier recovery" plan for the next couple of weeks. 

This week: bike 6:30, run 3:15, swim 9,200 yards

Next week: bike 3:30, run 2:30, swim 9,800 yards

Race week: bike 2:00, run 1:00, swim – test swims at PCB and plenty of rest.  That couch is going to get a workout 

enjoy,

Duane

Edited by Duanerice 2012-10-18 8:45 AM
2012-10-18 8:43 AM

User image

Champion
Williamston, Michigan
taper = whatever my coach tells me to do  

2012-10-18 9:08 AM

User image

Arlington
I had one more big workout weekend on the schedule but I threw in the towel. My foot started to get sore again ( 7 weeks ago had some major foot issues)  so we decided the risk of another big session putting me back to where running was a struggle would not be worth any possible gains. So here I come Taper!
2012-10-18 9:10 AM

New user

Did anyone hear that Mike Reilly is not emcee for IMFL?

No, this is not tragic...elicited a tiny "awww"...but still!

I had a weird day on bike yesterday - started cramping, thought it was muscle soreness, fought to 50 mi then went home. Super stomach upset this morning and exhausted. Feeling better now, body asking to be fed. Rearranging my training schedule now.

This is my first IMFL, I am only 128 pounds, female, and these calorie counts are high for what I've been doing. I've been taking about 250/hr on bike. I'm more a runner, used to my body needs on run. Should I up the cycle calories? hmmm...late in the course of things to change, but I'm open to advice.

Thanks! IT"S ALMOST HERE!!!
2012-10-18 9:15 AM
in reply to: #4458823

User image

Extreme Veteran

anfbaker - 2012-10-18 9:10 AM Did anyone hear that Mike Reilly is not emcee for IMFL? No, this is not tragic...elicited a tiny "awww"...but still!

Where did you hear that?

2012-10-18 9:15 AM
in reply to: #4458823

User image

Champion
Williamston, Michigan

anfbaker - 2012-10-18 9:10 AM Did anyone hear that Mike Reilly is not emcee for IMFL? No, this is not tragic...elicited a tiny "awww"...but still! I had a weird day on bike yesterday - started cramping, thought it was muscle soreness, fought to 50 mi then went home. Super stomach upset this morning and exhausted. Feeling better now, body asking to be fed. Rearranging my training schedule now. This is my first IMFL, I am only 128 pounds, female, and these calorie counts are high for what I've been doing. I've been taking about 250/hr on bike. I'm more a runner, used to my body needs on run. Should I up the cycle calories? hmmm...late in the course of things to change, but I'm open to advice. Thanks! IT"S ALMOST HERE!!!

I would not change anything.  You are tiny and if its been working for you stick with it!!  I am female and weigh more than you and take in 200-250 per hour on the bike.  I think you are right on target.  I think everyone is feeling the effects of weeks of long training at this point.  Personally, and I never thought I would ever hear myself say this,  I am sick of EATING!! Sick of the planning, the shopping, the food prep etc etc etc.  I'm ready. 

2012-10-18 9:26 AM
in reply to: #4458844

New user

GAUG3 - 2012-10-18 9:15 AM

anfbaker - 2012-10-18 9:10 AM Did anyone hear that Mike Reilly is not emcee for IMFL? No, this is not tragic...elicited a tiny "awww"...but still!

Where did you hear that?

I'm on a IMFL facebook group and someone posted it. I can't find any reference to it on another site, so just wondering if anyone else could confirm this.

2012-10-18 9:28 AM
in reply to: #4458847

New user

Socks - 2012-10-18 9:15 AM

anfbaker - 2012-10-18 9:10 AM Did anyone hear that Mike Reilly is not emcee for IMFL? No, this is not tragic...elicited a tiny "awww"...but still! I had a weird day on bike yesterday - started cramping, thought it was muscle soreness, fought to 50 mi then went home. Super stomach upset this morning and exhausted. Feeling better now, body asking to be fed. Rearranging my training schedule now. This is my first IMFL, I am only 128 pounds, female, and these calorie counts are high for what I've been doing. I've been taking about 250/hr on bike. I'm more a runner, used to my body needs on run. Should I up the cycle calories? hmmm...late in the course of things to change, but I'm open to advice. Thanks! IT"S ALMOST HERE!!!

I would not change anything.  You are tiny and if its been working for you stick with it!!  I am female and weigh more than you and take in 200-250 per hour on the bike.  I think you are right on target.  I think everyone is feeling the effects of weeks of long training at this point.  Personally, and I never thought I would ever hear myself say this,  I am sick of EATING!! Sick of the planning, the shopping, the food prep etc etc etc.  I'm ready. 

That's so funny. I am ready, and excited, but some parts of the training I am so over!))
2012-10-18 9:33 AM
in reply to: #4458844

New user

Where did you hear that?

Just checked Mike's worpress page:

http://ironmantrivoice.wordpress.com/

Ironman Florida not listed on his events.
2012-10-18 10:01 AM
in reply to: #4458881

User image

Champion
Williamston, Michigan
anfbaker - 2012-10-18 9:28 AM
Socks - 2012-10-18 9:15 AM

That's so funny. I am ready, and excited, but some parts of the training I am so over!))

Me too I like the long stuff but tired of the time suck and the planning.

2012-10-18 10:02 AM
in reply to: #4458876

User image

Master
Charlotte
anfbaker - 2012-10-18 10:26 AM

Where did you hear that?

I'm on a IMFL facebook group and someone posted it. I can't find any reference to it on another site, so just wondering if anyone else could confirm this.

That was me.  Asked him on Twitter.

(Capture.JPG)

Attachments
----------------
Capture.JPG (24KB - 11 downloads)
New Thread
General Discussion Iron Distance Race Groups » Ironman Florida : Official Thread Rss Feed  

of 64