of 171

2011-01-10 8:27 PM
in reply to: #3291320

User image

Champion
marietta
Subject: RE: swbkrun with us!!! - Closed
gdale - 2011-01-10 9:15 PM
dcon - 2011-01-10 8:47 PM I agree - that is a great shot John.

John, you are a master photographer!!

man, when i finally get to norway i promise i'll take a shot like this and post it.   not mine ya'll,  it was taken here in van keulenfjorden.

2011-01-10 8:49 PM
in reply to: #3256813

User image

Chatham Ontario
Thanks again Suzy,

Ya I hope to get the RPE thing someday then I won't have to rely on my HRM as such a crutch as well.

The LT test may come at somepoint. I am open to thought if I should look at it. But just figured I am new and not sure I can pull it off. One thing I have told myself through all this, and will maintain is I will TRAIN SAFE. If that means running, riding or swimming slower or taking a few extra days off here and there.. I WILL DO IT.

I appreciate everyones input.
2011-01-10 8:58 PM
in reply to: #3291220

User image

Master
Techdiver - 2011-01-10 5:24 PM
fattyfatfat - 2011-01-10 5:42 PM
kt65 - 2011-01-10 6:29 PM

Don't overthink itYou did great on your run and sometimes all of that data just weighs us down.  Good job getting it done in the snow!

keep up the great work spanky!!!   the data is awesome, for sure.  we'll crunch it all soon enough.  but for now just go freakin' run baby!!!!!   and if you can't have a conversation with yourself, slow down.

Thanks you must have missed the part where I said I was an ENGINEER. (insert Engineering jokes here) I over think data ALL the time. All my non Engineering friends tell me to STOP it all the time. I have spread sheets on everything..  

You can't even begin to know how many different friends have sent me this youtube Dilbert Clip

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CmYDgncMhXw

I am NOT an engineer, but I was raised by one, and I love all of the engineering geekiness about my father. I got his genes when it comes to things like loading a dishwasher -- I am soooooo good that... can fit sooo many things in, organized for easy emptying, and everything gets clean. My dishwasher anal-ness might lead to the demise of my marriage (husband gets so sick of me rearranging), but darn it I'll have lots of clean dishes when I'm all alone!! Anyway... Spreadsheets on everything? I get it. My dad has, oh gosh, I forget how many years (15? 20? 30?) of spreadsheet data on his weight -- he has battled it forever. He has it all graphed out and has daily, weekly, monthly, etc. averages. I know he has spreadsheets on a thousand other things too but this one always stands out.

2011-01-10 9:05 PM
in reply to: #3291220

User image

Champion
marietta
Techdiver - 2011-01-10 8:24 PM

Don't overthink itYou did great on your run and sometimes all of that data just weighs us down.  Good job getting it done in the snow!

keep up the great work spanky!!!   the data is awesome, for sure.  we'll crunch it all soon enough.  but for now just go freakin' run baby!!!!!   and if you can't have a conversation with yourself, slow down.

Thanks you must have missed the part where I said I was an ENGINEER. (insert Engineering jokes here) I over think data ALL the time. All my non Engineering friends tell me to STOP it all the time. I have spread sheets on everything..  

You can't even begin to know how many different friends have sent me this youtube Dilbert Clip

As for my HR as mentioned in other post by Suzi etc.

Thanks a lot.  I use the 220-age way. I will look into the others.   RPE doesn't really work for me, I can't seem to be a judge on that and it is too subjective and change change day to day for me, or anyone probably. HR off my Garmin is right there in front of me and REAL data I can process easy and adjust.. Rather then trying to talk or sing a song while running.

Besides both my work out partner and my wife say I am not allowed to sing.

But good info I will look at the other methods. I was reading about the LT test and it really wasn't something I was WANTING to try at this point.

Thanks.. will look at it and update some things and go from there...  Getting out and running is GREAT but early on being a non-insulin diabetic I learned an important thing on HR. For me and for a few others I have spoke to now. my HR will jump 15-20 BPM almost instantly if my sugar drops down too low. I mean an INSTANT jump. I will say I have not experianced this with the cooler temps and since Loosing the weight. But it is important to me to monitor.

you should not assume garmin data is REAL data.  nothing is more REAL than what your body is telling you.

Edited by fattyfatfat 2011-01-10 9:05 PM
2011-01-10 9:17 PM

User image

Elite
Calgary,AB,Canada
Off to my first grop swim at night. Ugggg. 9-10pm. Should be interesting. 5AM will come soon!! 
2011-01-10 9:26 PM
in reply to: #3291445

User image

Elite
san francisco
TrevorC - 2011-01-10 7:17 PMOff to my first grop swim at night. Ugggg. 9-10pm. Should be interesting. 5AM will come soon!! 
I'll be sure to text you at 5am when I wake up. Please put your extra loud alarm on your cell phone. Have fun Trev.

2011-01-10 10:14 PM
in reply to: #3291391

User image

New user
Ottawa
kkcbelle - 2011-01-10 9:58 PM
Techdiver - 2011-01-10 5:24 PM

I am NOT an engineer, but I was raised by one, and I love all of the engineering geekiness about my father. I got his genes when it comes to things like loading a dishwasher -- I am soooooo good that... can fit sooo many things in, organized for easy emptying, and everything gets clean. My dishwasher anal-ness might lead to the demise of my marriage (husband gets so sick of me rearranging), but darn it I'll have lots of clean dishes when I'm all alone!! Anyway... Spreadsheets on everything? I get it. My dad has, oh gosh, I forget how many years (15? 20? 30?) of spreadsheet data on his weight -- he has battled it forever. He has it all graphed out and has daily, weekly, monthly, etc. averages. I know he has spreadsheets on a thousand other things too but this one always stands out.

Ooohhhh.... I LOVE spreadsheets... and data and pivot tables and regression lines and all of it!!!  I totally understand the need for the HRM, paces data, distance data.  I totally get it.  PS - I too rearrange the dishwasher on a daily basis.
2011-01-10 10:15 PM
in reply to: #3291445

User image

New user
Ottawa
TrevorC - 2011-01-10 10:17 PM Off to my first grop swim at night. Ugggg. 9-10pm. Should be interesting. 5AM will come soon!! 

Good work!  Night time swimming is good because it means leaving after the kids are in bed  
2011-01-10 10:18 PM
in reply to: #3291409

User image

New user
Ottawa
fattyfatfat - 2011-01-10 10:05 PM

Thanks a lot.  I use the 220-age way. I will look into the others.   RPE doesn't really work for me, I can't seem to be a judge on that and it is too subjective and change change day to day for me, or anyone probably. HR off my Garmin is right there in front of me and REAL data I can process easy and adjust.. Rather then trying to talk or sing a song while running.

But good info I will look at the other methods. I was reading about the LT test and it really wasn't something I was WANTING to try at this point.

Thanks.. will look at it and update some things and go from there...  Getting out and running is GREAT but early on being a non-insulin diabetic I learned an important thing on HR. For me and for a few others I have spoke to now. my HR will jump 15-20 BPM almost instantly if my sugar drops down too low. I mean an INSTANT jump. I will say I have not experianced this with the cooler temps and since Loosing the weight. But it is important to me to monitor.

you should not assume garmin data is REAL data.  nothing is more REAL than what your body is telling you.

If you set your garmin up right and if you take all the right factors into consideration... your garmin data can be real enough... IHMO
 (edited for typo

Edited by Anne! 2011-01-10 10:19 PM
2011-01-10 10:20 PM
in reply to: #3291552

User image

Champion
marietta
Anne! - 2011-01-10 11:18 PM
fattyfatfat - 2011-01-10 10:05 PM

If you set your garmin up right and if you take all the right factors into consideration... your garmin data can be real enough... IHMO
 (edited for typo

cool.    how do i set it up right?  and what factors should i take into consideration? 
2011-01-10 10:58 PM

Veteran
All giddy tomorrow registration opens for the Evergreen classic.  Signing up for my first Oly

2011-01-10 11:26 PM
in reply to: #3291559

User image

Veteran
fattyfatfat - 2011-01-10 8:20 PM
cool.    how do i set it up right?  and what factors should i take into consideration? 

Anne, John is baiting you into an argument that you can't win.  Don't take it personally...  He does this sort of thing for a living.  Um, GPS-related stuff that is, not baiting people into arguments.  Although, come to think of it, he's pretty good at that too... Smile
2011-01-10 11:41 PM
in reply to: #3291371

User image

Extreme Veteran
Oshawa, Ontario
Techdiver - 2011-01-10 9:49 PM Thanks again Suzy,

Ya I hope to get the RPE thing someday then I won't have to rely on my HRM as such a crutch as well.

The LT test may come at somepoint. I am open to thought if I should look at it. But just figured I am new and not sure I can pull it off. One thing I have told myself through all this, and will maintain is I will TRAIN SAFE. If that means running, riding or swimming slower or taking a few extra days off here and there.. I WILL DO IT.

I appreciate everyones input.

My first two years of running I mainly stuck with pace which I got using the smartcoach tool on runnersworl.com.  I kept it very simple.  This year is the first year where I'm working with my HR zones ( I did the test, I'm due for another).  But I use it as a guide, I still go by feel.  There are so many variables that can affect you HR, IE: caffeine, alcohol, weather, sleep, stress, sickness, time of day, previous workout, even your Garmin malfunctioning ( my HR one day was 250+ bpm during the warmup, and it even stayed there after I took off the monitor to try and clear it). 

A few months ago I started a spreadsheet which contains all my endurance workouts.  I mark down the temp as it has a great affect on your heart rate.  I just use the data for reference to see how my HR is changing mainly with three variables; temp, pace and duration (not including warm up).  Unfortunately, as much as I like numbers, I'm not an engineer so I haven't been able to come up with a formula using the three variables to see how they correlate with HR levels.

Here are the fields from my spreadsheet:
DateTimeTempTotal
Duration
WU
Time
Avg Pace
(min/km)
Avg Pace
(min/mile)
HR lap
time
Avg HR

The "HR LAP TIME" is where I press lap on my watch once my HR has settled down. When my endurance lap is complete and I want to do strides or anything else I press lap again.  By doing this I will get my AVG for the endurance portion only.

Hope that makes sense, I'm getting a little tired as it's getting late.
cheers.
2011-01-11 6:03 AM
in reply to: #3291629

User image

New user
Ottawa
ryanp100 - 2011-01-11 12:26 AM

Anne, John is baiting you into an argument that you can't win.  Don't take it personally...  He does this sort of thing for a living.  Um, GPS-related stuff that is, not baiting people into arguments.  Although, come to think of it, he's pretty good at that too... Smile

He he... that's okay.  I'm just saying that the data can be "real enough."  How can anyone argue with that?  Real enough for me might not be real enough for you... but if I want some numbers, I can get numbers.  If I really want to, I can even assign meaning to them.
2011-01-11 7:25 AM
in reply to: #3291548

User image

Chatham Ontario
Anne! - 2011-01-10 10:14 PM
Ooohhhh.... I LOVE spreadsheets... and data and pivot tables and regression lines and all of it!!!  I totally understand the need for the HRM, paces data, distance data.  I totally get it.  PS - I too rearrange the dishwasher on a daily basis.

did you say Pivot Tables and Regressions in one line... I think I am in lust.

Funny I never thought about it but the dishwasher is a pet peeve of mine I have never noticed. But I found myself arranging it just so last night before I read it all in this thread. I died laughing last night but didn't post it.

2011-01-11 7:39 AM
in reply to: #3291629

User image

Champion
marietta
ryanp100 - 2011-01-11 12:26 AM

why do have to ruin all the fun!   :-)

2011-01-11 7:43 AM
in reply to: #3291409

User image

Chatham Ontario
fattyfatfat - 2011-01-10 9:05 PM

I will bite on this.

There are so many factors that are played into this I agree, Many things that effect your HR. But this is the most tangeable data I have. Your body (well my body) is not always the best tool to tell you what is going on. As a diabetic it is often too late to tell what is going on long after it HAS gone on. So although it might be fine for you to just go on FEEL it is not fine for me. FEEL is still subjective vs quantifiable data. Ask me as an Eng I will take Quantifiable Data any day.

Ever go out for a run and at the end of a 5k route sit down on a curb 4 blocks from your own home and not no how to get home. I HAVE, when my blood sugar came crashing down on me. My only warning sign was my heart rate jumping up 15 BPM at the same effort/pace of running about 3 mins before it happened. In fact I had it happen a few times only I was prepared the next time.

Ever feel like your fine and then fall down your stairs and not no where you are in your own home. Again, I have, because I THOUGHT I knew my own body over what some glucose meter could tell me.

I rely on these tools and although someone like you might not, I HAVE to. Now with weight loss, I no longer take Metformin and my blood sugar stays in much better control. But I still need to watch my diet, proper foods for me, eat every 2 hours in small amounts, an Carry Gels on all workouts and every time I scuba dive.

Funny though Body Temperature Regulation plays more of an effect on bloodsugar then the physical work out does. Same run today will have zero effect on my blood sugar, but do the same run, pace etc on a HOT day and my blood sugar will drop like mad burning up to try and control my core temps.

So John I really appreciate your points and where you come from. It just doesn't work for me. By the Time my Body TELLS me. It may be too late.

I was lucky my neighbor stopped that day I was sitting on the curb lost 4 blocks from home. I was also lucky she had an orange juice with her that I drank and that she took me home and watched me while I ate and tested my blood sugars for the next 2 hours ever 15 mins. (ps my good friend made me buy a RoadID, which I wear at all times)

So I would just appreciate people that have some constructive information to chime in. Most of this info above is NOT for debate, unless you have the same background as I do, or good medical knowledge of it. If so have it.

I am happy to say that Triathlons, running and 50 lbs of weight loss has Mitigated most of this, but I am not going to kid myself and not watch all the data I can to ensure I don't hurt myself.

I do the same thing when I am scuba diving 300 feet underwater or 5000 feet back in an underwater cave.

Did I mention I load my dishwasher to max capacity  

Edited by Techdiver 2011-01-11 7:46 AM
2011-01-11 7:50 AM
in reply to: #3291634

User image

Chatham Ontario
sstucker - 2011-01-10 11:41 PM
Here are the fields from my spreadsheet:
DateTimeTempTotal
Duration
WU
Time
Avg Pace
(min/km)
Avg Pace
(min/mile)
HR lap
time
Avg HR

cheers.

thanks similar to what I have only I did not ever put in a W/U Time. That is a good Idea. I used to hit the lap button ever km to collect data. but went back to just timing the whole run. The odd time I do it again.

Thanks
2011-01-11 7:55 AM
in reply to: #3291720

User image

Champion
marietta
Anne! - 2011-01-11 7:03 AM

He he... that's okay.  I'm just saying that the data can be "real enough."  How can anyone argue with that?  Real enough for me might not be real enough for you... but if I want some numbers, I can get numbers.  If I really want to, I can even assign meaning to them.

how can anyone argue with that?  well,  that's a easy argument to make with a single minded approach.  maybe a more holisitic approach would provide a more robust data set, as i suggested in the earlier post about not assuming things.  a garmin isn't going to tell you how your legs feels, if you need to eat, etc...

2011-01-11 8:03 AM
in reply to: #3291885

User image

Elite
Calgary,AB,Canada
fattyfatfat - 2011-01-11 6:55 AM

how can anyone argue with that?  well,  that's a easy argument to make with a single minded approach.  maybe a more holisitic approach would provide a more robust data set, as i suggested in the earlier post about not assuming things.  a garmin isn't going to tell you how your legs feels, if you need to eat, etc...

Why don't you go shovel some snow?
2011-01-11 8:05 AM

User image

Elite
Calgary,AB,Canada
1 night of swim class and I 've learned that I kick too much from the knee. Need to kick more from the hips.

I went to bed 8 hours ago. and have been up for 2 already. Going to be hard to get used to these classes.

2011-01-11 8:06 AM
in reply to: #3291860

User image

Champion
marietta
Techdiver - 2011-01-11 8:43 AM

So I would just appreciate people that have some constructive information to chime in. Most of this info above is NOT for debate, unless you have the same background as I do, or good medical knowledge of it. If so have it.

i don't care what your background is, no matter how many times you spew off LOOK AT ME I"M AN ENGINEER.  all that tells me is we're probably gonna have to slow things down and explain them really carefully for you.  i can sit here all day long and fill ya'll in on the *impressive* classes i took in grad school or teach, but why? 

as far as the constructive information part,  do you have any knowledge of my medical history, my past issues? nope not after a 5k,  just after 13 miles on the back end of a HIM.  you spout off some completely ignorant comments.  and in case you missed it, this is the internet there spanks, sorry if you think people should only reply with what YOU want to hear. 

good to have you here as part of the group.  stick around for a while and you might learn something.

2011-01-11 8:07 AM
in reply to: #3291901

User image

Champion
marietta
TrevorC - 2011-01-11 9:03 AM

its easier just to let it melt. 
2011-01-11 8:22 AM
in reply to: #3291915

User image

Elite
Calgary,AB,Canada
fattyfatfat - 2011-01-11 7:07 AM
TrevorC - 2011-01-11 9:03 AM

its easier just to let it melt. 

Those were some good pics you posted on FB. Amazing you guys can get that much snow down there.
2011-01-11 8:33 AM
in reply to: #3291860

User image

Elite
Calgary,AB,Canada
Techdiver - 2011-01-11 6:43 AM
fattyfatfat - 2011-01-10 9:05 PM

I will bite on this.

There are so many factors that are played into this I agree, Many things that effect your HR. But this is the most tangeable data I have. Your body (well my body) is not always the best tool to tell you what is going on. As a diabetic it is often too late to tell what is going on long after it HAS gone on. So although it might be fine for you to just go on FEEL it is not fine for me. FEEL is still subjective vs quantifiable data. Ask me as an Eng I will take Quantifiable Data any day.

Ever go out for a run and at the end of a 5k route sit down on a curb 4 blocks from your own home and not no how to get home. I HAVE, when my blood sugar came crashing down on me. My only warning sign was my heart rate jumping up 15 BPM at the same effort/pace of running about 3 mins before it happened. In fact I had it happen a few times only I was prepared the next time.

Ever feel like your fine and then fall down your stairs and not no where you are in your own home. Again, I have, because I THOUGHT I knew my own body over what some glucose meter could tell me.

I rely on these tools and although someone like you might not, I HAVE to. Now with weight loss, I no longer take Metformin and my blood sugar stays in much better control. But I still need to watch my diet, proper foods for me, eat every 2 hours in small amounts, an Carry Gels on all workouts and every time I scuba dive.

Funny though Body Temperature Regulation plays more of an effect on bloodsugar then the physical work out does. Same run today will have zero effect on my blood sugar, but do the same run, pace etc on a HOT day and my blood sugar will drop like mad burning up to try and control my core temps.

So John I really appreciate your points and where you come from. It just doesn't work for me. By the Time my Body TELLS me. It may be too late.

I was lucky my neighbor stopped that day I was sitting on the curb lost 4 blocks from home. I was also lucky she had an orange juice with her that I drank and that she took me home and watched me while I ate and tested my blood sugars for the next 2 hours ever 15 mins. (ps my good friend made me buy a RoadID, which I wear at all times)

I am happy to say that Triathlons, running and 50 lbs of weight loss has Mitigated most of this, but I am not going to kid myself and not watch all the data I can to ensure I don't hurt myself.

I do the same thing when I am scuba diving 300 feet underwater or 5000 feet back in an underwater cave.

Did I mention I load my dishwasher to max capacity  

I'll let you and John agree to disagree.
But, from reading your post here, I think what you are doing IS you listening to your body. This is what YOUR body is telling YOU.
Edit: there are quite a few of us around here who have lost sig. amounts of weight as well. Our health and lifestyles have changed quite considerably in the last few years as well.

Edited by TrevorC 2011-01-11 8:36 AM
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » swbkrun with us!!! - Closed Rss Feed  

of 171