BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Ernesto's group - CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 84

2011-08-27 11:34 PM
in reply to: #3436601

User image

Maple Grove, MN
Subject: RE: Ernesto's group - CLOSED
Ok. Official results are in. Macca wasn't officially listed as running the sprint. Guess he just ran it for fun.

As for the swim, it really was longer this year. Last year, the two winners in my age group did the swim in 7:18 and 7:54. This year, the same two men did the swim portion in 9:08 and 9:20. The first took 25% more time and the second 18% more time. I took 23% longer, so I'm chalking up my bad swim time mostly to the distance being longer.

I did come in 5th out of 23 for the 45-49 year olds. But to get on the podium would be pretty darn hard. The guys at the top are simply much, much better. The top three guys for my race in my age group had times of 1:08:07, 1:10:13, and 1:10:35, where my time 1:22:27.

2011-08-28 1:22 PM

User image

Expert
Guatemala

Hola amigos!

Just finished the Guatemala City 1/2 Marathon and I'm happy to report that I not only enjoyed it, but I was able to complete it in 1:47, which is a new PR!  It is a beautiful race through Guatemala City, very well organized and we had great weather today, so I could not had asked for anything more (other than maybe not having a cold Smile) .  

Ernesto, it is great to experience the progress that comes from your good coaching!  A year ago I did this race for the first time (this race is what got me hooked into running) and now, a year later I was able to drop my time by 20 minutes (while still having fun!)

Chris, congratulations on your Sprint, that is a great time (especially since you have not been swimming nor biking)

Bary, we are looking forward to hearing about your Oly today!  Anyone else with news/good weekend training?

2011-08-28 1:30 PM
in reply to: #3662781

User image

Maple Grove, MN
sirgab - 2011-08-28 1:22 PM

Hola amigos!

Just finished the Guatemala City 1/2 Marathon and I'm happy to report that I not only enjoyed it, but I was able to complete it in 1:47, which is a new PR!  It is a beautiful race through Guatemala City, very well organized and we had great weather today, so I could not had asked for anything more (other than maybe not having a cold Smile) .  

Ernesto, it is great to experience the progress that comes from your good coaching!  A year ago I did this race for the first time (this race is what got me hooked into running) and now, a year later I was able to drop my time by 20 minutes (while still having fun!)

Chris, congratulations on your Sprint, that is a great time (especially since you have not been swimming nor biking)

Bary, we are looking forward to hearing about your Oly today!  Anyone else with news/good weekend training?

Congrats Gabe! I was thinking about you during my training run today. A 20 minute improvement is just huge. And I agree about Ernesto being a great coach. The getting me to me read Maffetone and getting me to increase my cadence on the bike (and buy a cadence sensor) are just two things he recommended that have paid off. Thanks Ernesto!

Bary. Keep us informed.
2011-08-28 1:47 PM
in reply to: #3662781

User image

Expert
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania

Chris, I'm impressed.  I wish I could not train and do well ;-)

Gabe, fantastic race.  Glad you had good weather.

Ernesto, look what you've started!  I was telling someone about BT mentoring groups today. 

I did a training ride today.  There must have been about 75 people.  The last 5 miles were awfully hot, especially after spending a week in lower temperatures.  That's a double whammy.  New bike is really sweet.  I'm trying to catch up with her.  Swimming laps in a 24 foot (not yards) hotel pool was really dizzying.  It was like stroke, stroke, stroke, turn around, and repeat. 

Carol wants me to do the Austin Tri with her on Labor Day.  I'm hoping the temps go down a little bit.

Barry??

2011-08-28 2:25 PM
in reply to: #3662796

User image

Veteran
Chicago, Illinois

Thanks for the support all and for the coaching Ernesto.

Gabe - Congratulations on a huge PR!

I finished my first OLY and lived to tell about it. The lake was quite choppy today with NE winds gusting to 20 mph. I don't have the official results yet but I think it's somewhere around 3:57. It took me 55 minutes to do the swim. I'll get a report up soon. For now, a long nap!

2011-08-28 2:56 PM
in reply to: #3662817

User image

Master
Gold Coast Australia.
baurryman - 2011-08-28 2:25 PM

I finished my first OLY and lived to tell about it. The lake was quite choppy today with NE winds gusting to 20 mph. I don't have the official results yet but I think it's somewhere around 3:57. It took me 55 minutes to do the swim. I'll get a report up soon. For now, a long nap!

Barry, congratulations! Can't wait for the report, I'm so glad you did it and survived the swim and then the madness on Lake Shore Drive!

Gabe, this is a great time! Congratulations!

Chris, you are natural triathlete, awesome to be able to do it with only running training.

Edited by markz 2011-08-28 3:00 PM

2011-08-28 2:57 PM

User image

Maple Grove, MN

Great job!

My brother has a saying: a good weekend is one where you get a nap. A great weekend is one where you get two naps.

Here's to a great weekend everyone!
2011-08-28 10:40 PM

User image

Master
Dallas

Wow, this was a busy weekend! I'm so happy to know you've all achieved your goals.

Barry, congratulations on your first Olympic finish!

Chris, awesome level of fitness, impressive bike despite the total absence of training, I was very impressed when I looked at the file.

Gabe, awesome race, your growth in one year (the 20 mins. you mentioned) are hard earned money. Your potential for a LOT more is there. Just keep believing and working your butt off. Next year you will probably break 1:35.

2011-08-28 10:44 PM

User image

Expert
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania

Congratulations Barry.  Sounds like you had a good time.

2011-08-29 10:05 AM

User image

Master

So the last few days was alike a dickens novel...it was the best of runs...it was the worst of runs.

I was scheduled to do a pace run on Sat...not much sleep the night before, running after pizza and bread stciks and heat/humidity all contributed to what was a dismal horrible run.  I think I have finally convinced myself that running after lunch in the heat is a recipe for disaster.

Was supposed to do a long run yesterday morning but life and family got in the way - so I got up early today to get the miles in.  Probably the best long training run I've ever had.  My HR data is incomplete due to it flaking out but the average should be prety close, maybe a few beats low.  Kept it in zone 2 until the big hills at the end and average would still be zone 2 for the entire run.  I started the run slow and slowly built speed even with the last few miles being the toughest.  I felt strong at the end which is where I need to improve.  Knee held up and I think is slowly healing.  No pain during the run at all.  I'm starting to finally get and enjoy the negative split thing.

Just really pumped to have a solid run after such a crappy one on Saturday.

2011-08-29 10:17 AM
in reply to: #3663748

User image

Maple Grove, MN
dangremond - 2011-08-29 10:05 AM

...it was the best of runs...it was the worst of runs.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JcSUWP0QNeY

More seriously, I find myself doing the same up, down, up, down business when it comes to how good I'm feeling regarding all of this. That's what I like about this group. It lets me see that others are going through the same thing, which makes it easier to persevere.

Edited by older2533 2011-08-29 10:32 AM

2011-08-29 12:22 PM
in reply to: #3663768

User image

Master

Chris:

Thanks for commiserating and great job on your sprint.  Swimming isn't my strength so it always gets my gourd when they mismeasure the swim.  Now on the other hand, my best "5K" time came on the run portion of a sprint and while I am loathe to admit it - I am sure it was short.

Mitch

2011-08-29 1:12 PM

User image

Master
Dallas
Certainly so, ups and downs are common to us all. Work, family, injury, etc, get in the way of training all the time conspiring against what we plan to be a perfect week. What keeps me going is the love for the sport. When I miss a lot of workouts it makes the ones that I get to do so much more enjoyable...
2011-08-29 2:53 PM
in reply to: #3664256

User image

Master

ernestov - 2011-08-29 1:12 PM When I miss a lot of workouts it makes the ones that I get to do so much more enjoyable...

x100 - completely agree with that sentiment.  Got outside this morning while it was still dark.  Forgot my mp3 player and just started to run.  Felt slow and sluggish at the start and got stronger the more I ran...it was the perfect start to the week.  Now the key will be to continue to build upon this morning from a mental aspect.  Thank you Ernesto for all the help and guidance you have given.

2011-08-30 10:11 AM

User image

Master
Dallas

FYI, I found a website that carries most nutrition brands at decent prices, bulk purchases though.

www.greatracenutrition.com

I bought tons of honey stinger vanilla wafers! happy, happy! Smile

2011-08-30 2:40 PM
in reply to: #3665578

User image

Master
ernestov - 2011-08-30 10:11 AM

FYI, I found a website that carries most nutrition brands at decent prices, bulk purchases though.

Ah, they have GU!  Have to see with shipping if it is cheaper than buying at REI with the 12 or more discount?

2011-08-30 2:41 PM
in reply to: #3666199

User image

Master
Dallas
dangremond - 2011-08-30 2:40 PM
ernestov - 2011-08-30 10:11 AM

Ah, they have GU!  Have to see with shipping if it is cheaper than buying at REI with the 12 or more discount?

Shipping is free after $99. I basically ordered for like four months.

Edited by ernestov 2011-08-30 2:42 PM
2011-08-30 3:44 PM

User image

Maple Grove, MN
On my marathon training program, I get one day off a week - Wednesday. So I get a day off tomorrow, which I need. This has been a hard 6 days since Thursday. I did a 9 mile marathon pace run on Thursday, 3 easy miles on Friday, and the sprint on Saturday. After my sprint on Saturday, I didn't want to skip my long run the next day because my schedule only calls for four 16 mile runs, and these long runs are supposedly crucial. So I did it at 70 seconds slower than my planned marathon pace. That and the sprint took a lot out of my legs. Monday was then 6 easy miles and today was intervals (9 miles of total running). My legs are just shot now.

But one thing I don't have is any triathlon on the horizon. This kind of bothers me. I like to have something to look forward to (or dread). So, Ernesto (and everyone else), what should be my next goal? I'm still planning on using the winter to build the bike legs and the swim.

I could

A) Do the same spring olympic as this year.
B) Do the 70.3 distance for that same race.
C) Something else.

Suggestions?
2011-08-30 4:30 PM
in reply to: #3666321

User image

Master
Dallas

older2533 - 2011-08-30 3:44 PM On my marathon training program, I get one day off a week - Wednesday. So I get a day off tomorrow, which I need. This has been a hard 6 days since Thursday. I did a 9 mile marathon pace run on Thursday, 3 easy miles on Friday, and the sprint on Saturday. After my sprint on Saturday, I didn't want to skip my long run the next day because my schedule only calls for four 16 mile runs, and these long runs are supposedly crucial. So I did it at 70 seconds slower than my planned marathon pace. That and the sprint took a lot out of my legs. Monday was then 6 easy miles and today was intervals (9 miles of total running). My legs are just shot now. But one thing I don't have is any triathlon on the horizon. This kind of bothers me. I like to have something to look forward to (or dread). So, Ernesto (and everyone else), what should be my next goal? I'm still planning on using the winter to build the bike legs and the swim. I could A) Do the same spring olympic as this year. B) Do the 70.3 distance for that same race. C) Something else. Suggestions?

Chris,

What about doing Boise with me during June 2012? it is the BEST first timers race according to many, it even mentions that on their website.

I'm already signed up. We could meet up there and have a good time, you bring the family and all. It's far enough in time where you can have some serious fitness and it is a great challenge! 

2011-08-30 5:57 PM
in reply to: #3666417

User image

Maple Grove, MN
ernestov - 2011-08-30 4:30 PM

Chris,

What about doing Boise with me during June 2012? it is the BEST first timers race according to many, it even mentions that on their website.

I'm already signed up. We could meet up there and have a good time, you bring the family and all. It's far enough in time where you can have some serious fitness and it is a great challenge! 

Oh, sure. You tell me today when early registration ended yesterday . (Just kidding.)

Possible, but unlikely. Two of my kids' last day of school is June 7, and the event is on June 9, 1450 miles away from my house. So if I came, it would have to be alone. There is one the next day in Lawrence Kansas, and that is only 7.5 hours from my house and on the way to the Grand Canyon, which we were planning on making a camping trip to next summer. That might work.
2011-08-30 7:56 PM
in reply to: #3666515

User image

Master
Dallas
older2533 - 2011-08-30 5:57 PM
ernestov - 2011-08-30 4:30 PM

Chris,

Oh, sure. You tell me today when early registration ended yesterday . (Just kidding.) Possible, but unlikely. Two of my kids' last day of school is June 7, and the event is on June 9, 1450 miles away from my house. So if I came, it would have to be alone. There is one the next day in Lawrence Kansas, and that is only 7.5 hours from my house and on the way to the Grand Canyon, which we were planning on making a camping trip to next summer. That might work.
Lawrence is a good event, the course is a bit more challenging than Boise but well within your capabilities. Shoot, by that time next year you'll be screaming fast.

2011-08-31 12:03 PM
in reply to: #3666629

El Paso

Hey! sorry for the absence, work load and now school is hectic. also had to make an unplan trip to Jersey, my sister lives there and with the Hurracaine she neaded help and all god thing she lives on a hill so no flood in her house.

Gabriel, sorry man, my bad it is not in Cuernavaca its in Cancun and the event its around Sep,

2011-09-02 8:17 AM

User image

Master
Dallas

I got back in Dallas last night after another torturous four days of work, put a track session that I'd much rather forget. But I'll make it up this weekend.

Any big plans for the long weekend gang? (At least long for the ones in the US).

2011-09-02 10:24 AM

User image

Maple Grove, MN
I'm in a bit of a funk. Dropped out of my 9 mile marathon pace run yesterday after 4 miles. Just wasn't feeling well. Overheated and nauseated. (very high humidity, about 85 degrees which is hot for me).

Also, I'm having a bit of an injury issue, which I think was caused on the bike portion of my tri last Saturday. Turns out that maybe biking 14 miles as fast as you can without training may not be a good idea. Who woulda thunk it?

Basically, I think I injured one of the tendons on the inside of my ankle. It's been sore since the race. Other than yesterday, I kept running on it according to my training schedule. I did 16 miles at 70 seconds per minute slower than marathon pace on Sunday, 6 easy miles on Monday, and strength intervals at the track (3 sets of two miles at 10 seconds per minute faster than marathon pace) on Tuesday, which including warmup and cooldown was 9 miles. Started to really hurt Tuesday night (although had bothered me since Saturday).

Today it is a little bit noticeable sitting or running, but no real pain. But I must have done something to it, because now there is a big bruise showing up. (I bruise very easily due to a mild bleeding issue). Since it's not really hurting, I'm tempted to just keep running on it. Here's my beautiful ankle.

Photobucket

Edited by older2533 2011-09-02 10:26 AM
2011-09-02 12:18 PM

User image

Master
Dallas

Chris,

Are you icing that down? your ankle looks swallen from the picture. Also, keep in mind that running through injury only perpetuates the injury, never heals. There's ways to keep the running fitness without the impact, best one being pool running.

Basically, you just get in the pool (with running shoes or VFFs) and try to run. Seems stupid but it actually keeps your fitness level WAY up there. Just time it (if you had a long run do the time equivalent in the pool).

Second best is running stairs, very low impact, super high HR. You can do this to replace intervals (resting while you go downstairs and charging upstairs). Just be careful on the descent, do it at a walking pace. Best place, the bleachers in a big stadium.

BTW, I see you didn't shave for the tri last weekend, unless you're a werewolf. What kind of triathlete are you?? hehe Laughing

Edited by ernestov 2011-09-02 12:20 PM
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Ernesto's group - CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 84