BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Yanti & Salty MAD MANATEES Mentor Group - FULL POD Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 81

2012-04-25 3:42 PM
in reply to: #4173026

User image

Melon Presser
Subject: RE: Yanti & Salty MAD MANATEES Mentor Group - FULL POD
Asalzwed - 2012-04-26 4:20 AM

cdban66 - 2012-04-25 3:01 PM Icing - found on the top of cupcakes or cake. YUMMY! /Rant On No touch icing is the hockey equivalent of the designated hitter in baseball. The game has been around for how long? And we have to change it now, why? And I am so done with the hockey talk (says the guy who lived in NY in 1994). For me hockey ceased to matter when I moved back to Florida. Because, really, hockey in Florida?!?! WTF! Wearing shorts to a hockey game is just wrong. /Rant Off Thanks, I feel better now. I'm going to ride the bike home today, I'll throw in the occasional interval.

In defense of hockey in Florida...hockey players technically wear shorts on the ice Smile 

In defense of Allen, you said that whoever had to EXPLAIN icing was the one who had to do intervals.

So, get started Laughing

2012-04-25 3:54 PM
in reply to: #4173084

User image

Seattle
TriAya - 2012-04-25 3:42 PM

cdban66 - 2012-04-25 3:01 PM Icing - found on the top of cupcakes or cake. YUMMY! /Rant On No touch icing is the hockey equivalent of the designated hitter in baseball. The game has been around for how long? And we have to change it now, why? And I am so done with the hockey talk (says the guy who lived in NY in 1994). For me hockey ceased to matter when I moved back to Florida. Because, really, hockey in Florida?!?! WTF! Wearing shorts to a hockey game is just wrong. /Rant Off Thanks, I feel better now. I'm going to ride the bike home today, I'll throw in the occasional interval.

In defense of hockey in Florida...hockey players technically wear shorts on the ice Smile 

In defense of Allen, you said that whoever had to EXPLAIN icing was the one who had to do intervals.

So, get started Laughing

Ah shoot, the islanders have united! 

2012-04-25 3:57 PM
in reply to: #4173026

Extreme Veteran
Asalzwed - 2012-04-25 3:20 PM

Actually, I'm very familiar with hockey "icing" (also very familiar with the other kind, but that's why I'm a clyde) since I spent my early childhood in Calgary, AB Canada (Go Flames) and most of my life in DC (Go Caps!).

Not much of a sports fan in general though. Well, except during College Football season.  Then I go into hibernation.

2012-04-25 4:10 PM
in reply to: #4173120

User image

Seattle
Asalzwed - 2012-04-25 3:54 PM
TriAya - 2012-04-25 3:42 PM

So, get started Laughing

Ah shoot, the islanders have united! 

PLUS we all know I don't ride bikes!

2012-04-25 9:21 PM
in reply to: #4172609

User image

Coastal Carolina
melbo55 - 2012-04-25 2:28 PM

Hockey talk in reply to Adrienne's question:

Let's go Caps!  Let's go Caps!

Their current AHL farm team, the Hershey Bears, is close to where I live, so we have partial-season (12 game because my hockey eats up too many weekends) season tickets to the Bears.  They play tonight, too, and like the Caps, if they lose tonight they are done.  So B-E-A-R-S Bears, Bears, Bears WOOOOOOOO!!!

Charleston Stingrays also a CAPS farm team, and I grew up with the CAPS. Oops OT just started back to the game
2012-04-25 9:46 PM
in reply to: #4126290

Extreme Veteran

2012-04-25 9:48 PM

User image

Master
I don't generally care about whether the Caps win or lose, but you can bet I was cheering for them tonight to take out Boston! 
2012-04-25 10:28 PM

User image

Master
Overland Park, KS

I don't know jack about hocky but one of my favorite all time movies is SLAP SHOT!

This mentor group ROCKS! I wish I could keep up.  Thank all of you for your kind words and inspires.

2012-04-25 11:32 PM

User image

Elite

Oh Lordy, I'm English living in Australia - hockey was just an outdoor sport enforced upon us girls at high school in English winter - and we had to wear shorts, my legs were always a mottled purple colour!

So I know little or NOTHING about hockey....

Now soccer I might be able to participate better.....and Aussie Rules Football.....

I too love this mentor group!

2012-04-26 1:08 AM
in reply to: #4172966

User image

England
ArielLIlB - 2012-04-25 9:04 PM

Hi everyone! I have been MIA for almost a week I think! And along with my lack of posts, I've been lacking in training! Really fell off this week, no really good reason why. Not sick, not too busy...just bleh.  Hand in hand with that, my healthy eating initiative has fallen off.  So, I really need to my mojo-vation (haha, I just made that up - I like it!)  Unfortuantely (well, it's fun but...) I am going away Friday for a girl's weekend in Ithaca, NY with my college girlfriends. It's our annual reunion, we do dinner, wine tour, Collegetown Bagels...the works. It's fun, but there will be no exercise, lots of food and even more drink! (although 2 friends had the nerve to get knocked up right before wine weekend! Honestly, better planning please!) So...my goal is to get up tomorrow morning and try out a new swim group, since my coached swim is over until late fall/until OW season begins.  Then either spin or a jaunt on the 'mill after work. Then packing, then my friend and her dog come over (sorry kitties!) so that we can hit the road early Friday morning for Ithaca. 

Oh, and as of this coming Sunday, t-minus TWO WEEKS til my first triathlon!! Terrible time to lose focus on the training, ahhhh! Surprised (there's isn't a good "nervous" emoticon...)

Sounds like everyone else is doing great though! Nice work, especially to the racers!

Go have big fun this weekend, then on Monday give yourself a big slap up the side of the head and get something done cos you'll only have 10 training days as you won't want to train for the last couple of days before the big day.

2012-04-26 1:16 AM

User image

England

OK,

I've had enough.

Anyone who even likes hockey, give me 30 minutes of intervals now.

And that includes the runner!

2012-04-26 1:19 AM
in reply to: #4173756

User image

England
jobaxas - 2012-04-26 5:32 AM

Oh Lordy, I'm English living in Australia - hockey was just an outdoor sport enforced upon us girls at high school in English winter - and we had to wear shorts, my legs were always a mottled purple colour!

Now soccer I might be able to participate better.....and Aussie Rules Football.....

Did you see the European Champions league semi finals? Now, they were a couple of good matches. i cant believe that both Barcelona and Real Madrid got knocked out.

2012-04-26 5:31 AM
in reply to: #4173781

User image

Melon Presser
ukweeble - 2012-04-26 2:19 PM
jobaxas - 2012-04-26 5:32 AM

Did you see the European Champions league semi finals? Now, they were a couple of good matches. i cant believe that both Barcelona and Real Madrid got knocked out.

Ooooh, FOOTBALL. We are a football fanatics family (on both my mother AND father's sides, despite that they came from two completely different countries and cultures!) Then again, Germans and Indonesians being football fanatics is just about part of the definition ... the last time Indonesia played their archrival Malaysia, ALL AIR TRAFFIC stopped at the Jakarta airport (a major international airport for a greater city of 30 million!) and not an employee was to be seen ... everyone was watching the game. Women in red (for Indonesia) burkas were jumping up and down screaming alongside confused tourists in board shorts and straw hats.

I can count on one hand the times my dad and I have had father-daughter moments and two of them involve watching football and betting on the games. (I always, always lose. ALWAYS. To him, anyway).

That said ... GO BAYERN MUNICH! Einer geht noch rein!!!

2012-04-26 8:32 AM

User image

Master
Central Kansas

Oh, dear. I have a busy day at work yesterday, and the group turns to hockey and soccer. I don't know much about either, except that my middle son loves to play soccer. I don't understand hockey. You can't even see how hot the guys are.

Now baseball . . . that I could sit and watch for hours.

Soooo . . . like I said above -- busy day yesterday. So I didn't get out for a run until 10:15 last night. It was wonderful. The only problem was that I was super psyched up when I got back, and at 1:30 a.m., I was still awake. :-(

90s here again yesterday -- we had to turn the air conditioning on last night. That's probably one reason I couldn't get to sleep. I'm sensitive about noise, and the fan seemed loud.

A cold front is moving in tonight, so I'm hoping our (my middle son's) math/bike ride doesn't get cancelled tomorrow. His class is doing a 12 mile bike ride, with checkpoints where they must solve math problems correctly before moving on. We are so excited.

2012-04-26 8:51 AM

User image

Coastal Carolina

Epic Fail on re-packing my gym bag to go to the pool yesterday...  forgot my suit.  I remember pull bouys and paddles but the swimsuit?  Nope.  Got lost doing housework when I got home so just calling it another rest day...

Swim and a bike for me today hopefully.

2012-04-26 9:21 AM
in reply to: #4174260

User image

Melon Presser
Tripopo - 2012-04-26 9:51 PM

Epic Fail on re-packing my gym bag to go to the pool yesterday...  forgot my suit.  I remember pull bouys and paddles but the swimsuit?  Nope.  Got lost doing housework when I got home so just calling it another rest day...

Swim and a bike for me today hopefully.

Oh come on you could've MacGyvered a suit out of those

Sometimes life throws us a rest day when we need one, anyway. Hope today works out!

2012-04-26 9:26 AM
in reply to: #4174198

User image

Melon Presser
KansasMom - 2012-04-26 9:32 PM

Oh, dear. I have a busy day at work yesterday, and the group turns to hockey and soccer. I don't know much about either, except that my middle son loves to play soccer. I don't understand hockey. You can't even see how hot the guys are.

Soooo . . . like I said above -- busy day yesterday. So I didn't get out for a run until 10:15 last night. It was wonderful. The only problem was that I was super psyched up when I got back, and at 1:30 a.m., I was still awake. :-(

90s here again yesterday -- we had to turn the air conditioning on last night. That's probably one reason I couldn't get to sleep. I'm sensitive about noise, and the fan seemed loud.

A cold front is moving in tonight, so I'm hoping our (my middle son's) math/bike ride doesn't get cancelled tomorrow. His class is doing a 12 mile bike ride, with checkpoints where they must solve math problems correctly before moving on. We are so excited.

As far as hotness ... you've never seen Salty in a hockey uniform! Yowza.

I *lovelovelove* baseball too ... I miss it terribly (though Indonesia does have a league and Bali's team's practice field is right around the corner! I've seen the ballpiglets all marching in ... ) but it's not pro and it is, confessedly, pretty awful. And no hotdogs!

Fell in love with baseball that magical magical Moneyball summer when I was working in South San Francisco but couldn't afford Giants games ... so I went to dollar-tix-dogs-beer nights at the Oakland A's.

That sounds like a super ride of your son's! Hope it pans out ...

2012-04-26 10:27 AM
in reply to: #4173776

User image

Extreme Veteran
ukweeble - 2012-04-26 2:08 AM
ArielLIlB - 2012-04-25 9:04 PM

Hi everyone! I have been MIA for almost a week I think! And along with my lack of posts, I've been lacking in training! Really fell off this week, no really good reason why. Not sick, not too busy...just bleh.  Hand in hand with that, my healthy eating initiative has fallen off.  So, I really need to my mojo-vation (haha, I just made that up - I like it!)  Unfortuantely (well, it's fun but...) I am going away Friday for a girl's weekend in Ithaca, NY with my college girlfriends. It's our annual reunion, we do dinner, wine tour, Collegetown Bagels...the works. It's fun, but there will be no exercise, lots of food and even more drink! (although 2 friends had the nerve to get knocked up right before wine weekend! Honestly, better planning please!) So...my goal is to get up tomorrow morning and try out a new swim group, since my coached swim is over until late fall/until OW season begins.  Then either spin or a jaunt on the 'mill after work. Then packing, then my friend and her dog come over (sorry kitties!) so that we can hit the road early Friday morning for Ithaca. 

Oh, and as of this coming Sunday, t-minus TWO WEEKS til my first triathlon!! Terrible time to lose focus on the training, ahhhh! Surprised (there's isn't a good "nervous" emoticon...)

Sounds like everyone else is doing great though! Nice work, especially to the racers!

Go have big fun this weekend, then on Monday give yourself a big slap up the side of the head and get something done cos you'll only have 10 training days as you won't want to train for the last couple of days before the big day.

Thanks Allen! I know, this was a bad time to lose focus, my race is soooo close!! But, it's a short swim (250m), and I know I'll be ok with the 10 mile bike, and then I'll just have to grind out 5K.  As long as I don't go out too hard too fast, I  think I'll make it. I haven't practiced any transitions though...did you do any before the big race?

2012-04-26 10:47 AM

User image

Master
KansasMom - 2012-04-26 8:32 AM

I love that the school is mixing exercise and education.  I wish wish wish the rest of the US would take note!!!  Even with NO resources, they could do the same thing with walking  Awesomesauce!!

2012-04-26 10:50 AM

User image

Master

Just signed the kiddo up for his first triathlon.  I am so dang excited.  He'll swim 50 yards, ride 2 miles and run 1/2 mile.  Pretty sure I'm more excited about this than I was my first triatholon! 

Had a great ride last night with the girls.  Lots of hills and wind.  Great workout.

2012-04-26 12:11 PM
in reply to: #4174367

User image

Seattle
TriAya - 2012-04-26 9:26 AM
KansasMom - 2012-04-26 9:32 PM

As far as hotness ... you've never seen Salty in a hockey uniform! Yowza.

I *lovelovelove* baseball too ... I miss it terribly (though Indonesia does have a league and Bali's team's practice field is right around the corner! I've seen the ballpiglets all marching in ... ) but it's not pro and it is, confessedly, pretty awful. And no hotdogs!

Fell in love with baseball that magical magical Moneyball summer when I was working in South San Francisco but couldn't afford Giants games ... so I went to dollar-tix-dogs-beer nights at the Oakland A's.

That sounds like a super ride of your son's! Hope it pans out ...

1. Oh boy, this is so true! I think it's because in my hockey uniform you can only see my eyes, and I think they happen to be my best feature Wink

2. I don't like baseball very much. I mean, other than the garlic fries and emphasis on hot dogs and beer. I am trying this year though. Games are cheap and accessible so I'm doing my best. I might even buy a shirt. Goooo Mariners! 

3. I second (or is it third?) how cool it is that a school is incorporating education and physical activity. Bravo! This made my day. 

2012-04-26 12:12 PM
in reply to: #4174652

User image

Seattle
crews - 2012-04-26 10:50 AM

Just signed the kiddo up for his first triathlon.  I am so dang excited.  He'll swim 50 yards, ride 2 miles and run 1/2 mile.  Pretty sure I'm more excited about this than I was my first triatholon! 

Had a great ride last night with the girls.  Lots of hills and wind.  Great workout.

Very cool! How old is he? A little manatee in training! 

2012-04-26 12:42 PM
in reply to: #4174831

User image

Master
Asalzwed - 2012-04-26 12:12 PM

Very cool! How old is he? A little manatee in training! 

My little mini-manatee is 7.  He'll be 8 by race day. 

2012-04-26 12:59 PM
in reply to: #4174652

User image

Master
Central Kansas

Excellent on the kid's triathlon. My middle one (he's 11) is doing one as well, in August. I'm doing the Salty Dog and he's doing the Salty Pup. His is 100m swim; 5 mile bike; 1 mile run. He's excited, but he's not training. I'm not too worried about him, though. He's taking private swimming lessons beginning next Thursday (and he already swims better than I do, which, granted, is not saying much); summer's coming, and he'll be biking all over the place; and his running is a beautiful thing to see. At his track meet last week, even my oldest, cynical son, gasped when he saw Ben run. It's amazing.

Great attitude about the hills and wind. I don't always have that great of an attitude about wind.

2012-04-26 1:03 PM

User image

Master
KansasMom - 2012-04-26 6:32 AM

What a fantastic idea!  That should be so much fun.  Hope the weather holds out. 

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Yanti & Salty MAD MANATEES Mentor Group - FULL POD Rss Feed  

of 81