Other Resources 2023 Beginner Triathlete Mentor Program » Beer Drinkers Appreciation Society (BDAS) 2023 Mentor Group - ALWAYS OPEN Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 124

2023-08-01 10:00 AM
in reply to: Rollergirl

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
Subject: RE: Beer Drinkers Appreciation Society (BDAS) 2023 Mentor Group - ALWAYS OPEN
Originally posted by Rollergirl

Originally posted by jmhpsu93

@Nathalie:  great new profile picture!! 

can you see it? I can still see 2018 Nat (that loser) coming out of the same lake!

I still see some version of Nat coming out of a lake (don't know what you are doing in the new photo, so it might be the new one!). I'm only on the site about half the time (app otherwise) and I'm not great at noticing new photos.

2023-08-01 10:10 AM
in reply to: drfoodlove

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
Subject: RE: Beer Drinkers Appreciation Society (BDAS) 2023 Mentor Group - ALWAYS OPEN
July totals:
Swim: 14h 37m 51s - 30185.57 Yd (fairly certain this is biggest swim month ever; +11%)
Bike: 34h 10m 20s - 239.71 Mi (really nice to finally see some miles associated with the bike!; +50%)
Run: 17h 22m 31s - 75.68 Mi (positive this is the biggest run month for me ever; +15%)
Strength: 6h 00m (who is this woman who is consistently doing strength training?!?!?!; +56%)

Ended July last night with a nice swim across our local lake with the tri-club. I'm happy to report I'm now the back of the lead pack and no longer the middle of the slow pack. I surprised myself with that one. Nice to also get a little pacing data I can use for MiTi, because I remembered to start my watch this time!

August brought in a nice 50' run this morning in Z2, which was so nice and easy and just felt good and strong. I even felt like all my appendages were attached to the same body and brain. What a nice change of pace! I'm about to head out for a 60' interval ride, now that morning traffic should have calmed down.

2023-08-01 12:55 PM

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

Great training month, Gretchen.  Taper well, my friend. 

So five days out and we might have an unforseen decision to make...we're getting cooler weather this week which is starting to drop the local water temps.  This morning the buoy about five miles from the race site was around 81 degrees, only three degrees above wetsuit legal.  Average air temps are in the low 70s for the next five days with some breezy conditions so it's not out of the question for us to get a 77.3 on race morning.  Question is - do I don a wetsuit at that point, having not touched it since last year?  I did fine without it last year but would be at a competitive disadvantage, especially in MOP, without one.  Just worried about over-heating and maybe some chafing. 

2023-08-01 2:39 PM

User image

, Kronobergs lan
Originally posted by drfoodlove

can you see it? I can still see 2018 Nat (that loser) coming out of the same lake!

I still see some version of Nat coming out of a lake (don't know what you are doing in the new photo, so it might be the new one!). I'm only on the site about half the time (app otherwise) and I'm not great at noticing new photos.

Yes, that’s the new one, I see it now.

Wait, there’s an app?
2023-08-01 2:44 PM
in reply to: jmhpsu93

User image

, Kronobergs lan

So five days out and we might have an unforseen decision to make...we're getting cooler weather this week which is starting to drop the local water temps.  This morning the buoy about five miles from the race site was around 81 degrees, only three degrees above wetsuit legal.  Average air temps are in the low 70s for the next five days with some breezy conditions so it's not out of the question for us to get a 77.3 on race morning.  Question is - do I don a wetsuit at that point, having not touched it since last year?  I did fine without it last year but would be at a competitive disadvantage, especially in MOP, without one.  Just worried about over-heating and maybe some chafing. 

77.3 is still very warm, I would also be worried about over-heating. Do you think many will wear one if legal? How much of a disadvantage would it be do you think (for me, it wouldn’t make much difference I know)

Decisions…
2023-08-01 2:46 PM

User image

, Kronobergs lan

• I'm happy to report I'm now the back of the lead pack and no longer the middle of the slow pack.

• That’s great!

2023-08-01 6:56 PM

User image

Expert
    Middle River, Maryland
    Silver member

Yes, that’s the new one, I see it now. Wait, there’s an app?

Cool tri kit.

Are you wearing some sort of socks while swimming?  Do tell. 

2023-08-01 7:20 PM

User image

Regular
    Auckland, North Island

Can you go for an OWS a day or 2 before race day and see how the wetsuit is feeling?

For me, always use a wetsuit unless specifically prohibited. Its faster, you use less energy. Yes it adds a few seconds to transition but you make up way more than you lose in T1.

Unless swimming with it for the first time in a year is going to make you feel all restricted and horrible I vote you (wet)suit up.
    2023-08-02 12:21 AM

User image

, Kronobergs lan

Yes, that’s the new one, I see it now. Wait, there’s an app?

Cool tri kit.

Are you wearing some sort of socks while swimming?  Do tell. 

These are compression calf sleeves. Started wearing them years ago when I had issues with cramping, I probably don’t need them anymore but I like them.

2023-08-02 7:29 AM

User image

Expert
    Middle River, Maryland
    Silver member

@Nathalie:  about 8-10 seconds/100 meters faster in a wetsuit, plus in theory less fatiguing, it'll probably save me 2+ minutes on the swim and cost me 30 seconds in transition give or take as I wrestle to get the thing off

@Andrew:  I haven't raced with it since May 2022, and I had that hyperventilating thing happen, and then practiced with it a few times before my Oly last year where I couldn't wear it; I'm tending to agree with you and slap it on and jump in the pool or the gross river here for a quick swim (note that this time will be the last time I wear this one as it's about done, so I don't care about the chlorine)

2000 in the pool this morning...supposed to be 2500 (I've written a lot of "supposed to have been" statements lately...) but my normal pool was closed so I had to drive to the other one; felt great

2023-08-02 8:01 AM

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
    @Mike--I'd totally wear the wetsuit. You've had enough practice in it over the years to be familiar with the feeling of swimming in it and wearing it. It will save you time/energy. Over an Oly, you'll probably be okay with the temp...not long enough to really get you heated up.

1750yd swim this morning, which was exactly what was scheduled. Did a lot of hard efforts and would have kept going, but it is taper and I'm consciously trying to keep myself at the outlined workouts and not go overboard because I feel great. I need restraint. Later is a 2hr Z1 ride that will either be done on the trainer at home or the spin bike at the gym, because we are currently having major storms that will persist into tomorrow. Fun. I predict no sleep, as the dog is petrified of storms and will spend the night sitting on our heads in the bed. It sucks, but I'm sure it is worse for her...being scared is no fun.

2023-08-02 9:48 AM
    in reply to: 0

User image

, Kronobergs lan

@Nathalie:  about 8-10 seconds/100 meters faster in a wetsuit, plus in theory less fatiguing, it'll probably save me 2+ minutes on the swim and cost me 30 seconds in transition give or take as I wrestle to get the thing off

2+ minutes is a lot of minutes for an oly, I would like to change my vote to yes to wetsuit (if legal)

Edited by Rollergirl 2023-08-02 9:49 AM
    2023-08-02 1:37 PM

User image

Expert
    Middle River, Maryland
    Silver member

OK wetsuit it is if legal. 

2023-08-03 1:55 AM

User image

, Kronobergs lan

OK wetsuit it is if legal. 

let's hope for cooler weather then, now that the decision has been made!

Race report now available, for your reading pleasure

https://beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp?tid...
    2023-08-03 8:58 AM

User image

Expert
    Middle River, Maryland
    Silver member

Short taper workout this morning doing all three disciplines plus my core work.  40 minutes on the spin bike (mine is at the shop), 10 minutes on the treadmill and a 500 yard swim.  My lizard brain is wondering how I'm going to race for almost three hours doing these super short workouts. 

Off day tomorrow (that'll help the lizard for sure LOL) then a shorter run through on Saturday.  Race weather looks about as good as it will get in August around here, low 70s at the start and sunny with good air quality (which has been an occasional issue here from the Canadian wildfire smoke). 

2023-08-03 1:27 PM
    in reply to: #5283710

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
    Mike—here’s hoping for some cool nights and maybe a bit of rain to bring that temp down!

I waited out the storm this morning (including an hour long power outage) to get my hour run in about noon. The nice 79F temp was totally cancelled out by the 83% humidity—rough one, but done and fast!

Spent a little time this morning making packing lists and trying to determine pacing and time goals. Last year was easy, my only real goals were to finish and not die, maybe in that order. Now I have benchmarks and don’t really know what to do to get myself past them! I’ll do what I always do…research.

2023-08-03 4:46 PM

User image

Regular
    Auckland, North Island
    @Mike, good choice for the wetsuit. I'd still take it for a swim before race day if you haven't already. If only to remind yourself what it feels like. Good luck for the weekend!

@Gretchen, We also have a very chicken dog who thinks she can fit between our pillows. Spoiler alert, she can not.

For your pacing goals, you've done a lot of long brick workouts, so I think you should have a good idea of what you can handle and still be able to run. Base your goals from that experience, not what some online calculator says. My only other advice is be conservative with your bike pacing. You're way better to underbike and have a little bit extra in the tank on the run than to overbike and have that mistake turn into a 42km death march.

@Nathallie, Nice race report. Great job again.

Me, On the bike for a 60 minute cruise interval ride last night HR. Considering my lack of riding in July it went pretty well. HR was a little high but felt strong, could have continued another interval or 2 if required so that's promising. Will be 90 minutes of Z2 riding watching footy tonight with a big weekend ahead. Got to make up for the crappy, travel induced start to the week.

Have a good weekend BDAS'ers
    2023-08-04 8:43 AM
    in reply to: bulfrog

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
    @Mike--how's the lizard brain doing on your day off?

Ummm...I just stopped by to say that having to plan training around the weather SUCKS. I'm over this whole rain thing and if it could stop for one.f'ing.day I would really appreciate it. Can you tell I'm waiting around to do my one hour bike ride?
    2023-08-04 12:22 PM

User image

Expert
    Middle River, Maryland
    Silver member

Originally posted by drfoodlove @Mike--how's the lizard brain doing on your day off? Ummm...I just stopped by to say that having to plan training around the weather SUCKS. I'm over this whole rain thing and if it could stop for one.f'ing.day I would really appreciate it. Can you tell I'm waiting around to do my one hour bike ride?

Whole body hurts. 

Got our bikes back and thankfully no Mike-inflicted damage on the Ridley.  $250 all-in for both of them, including new bar tape and hoods on mine.  I'm sure I'm going to get a few watts just from the drive train not being a disgusting mess. 

2023-08-04 1:15 PM

User image

Carbondale, Illinois

Originally posted by drfoodlove @Mike--how's the lizard brain doing on your day off? Ummm...I just stopped by to say that having to plan training around the weather SUCKS. I'm over this whole rain thing and if it could stop for one.f'ing.day I would really appreciate it. Can you tell I'm waiting around to do my one hour bike ride?

Whole body hurts. 

Got our bikes back and thankfully no Mike-inflicted damage on the Ridley.  $250 all-in for both of them, including new bar tape and hoods on mine.  I'm sure I'm going to get a few watts just from the drive train not being a disgusting mess. 

I think that means you're doing it right!
    2023-08-04 1:25 PM

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
    One hour bike today with a 20'Z3 interval in the middle. Felt good. Was kinda fun. Decided I need to move my seat up a bit. I find myself constantly having to shift my body back onto the seat after every turn/hill/bump/etc. Anything that isn't just churning my legs results in a little inch forward and then I'm just barely sitting on the front of my saddle. I know 9 days out isn't the optimal time to be making saddle adjustments, but I figure it has to be better than changing my entire kit four days before the race, which is what I did last year!

Someone should, also, come and confiscate my credit cards. So far today I've renewed my USAT membership for 2024 and signed up for two additional races in September/October (Oly on 9/10 and HIM on 10/1) and am holding off on signing up for a gravel HIM on 9/24 (yes, I am aware it is only six days before the other HIM) until after I know if there is a discount code in the swag bag for MiTi next week--it is put on by the same company.

2023-08-04 4:58 PM
    in reply to: #5286361

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
    Ummm…signed up for that gravel tri…and the gravel bike race the day before.

Seriously, someone come take my credit cards away!!
    2023-08-05 4:20 AM

User image

, Kronobergs lan

Ummm…signed up for that gravel tri…and the gravel bike race the day before.

Seriously, someone come take my credit cards away!!

You’re asking the wrong people.

We (I at least) think it’s a great idea!

Go Gretchen!
    2023-08-05 6:49 AM

User image

Expert
    Middle River, Maryland
    Silver member

Originally posted by drfoodlove Ummm…signed up for that gravel tri…and the gravel bike race the day before. Seriously, someone come take my credit cards away!!
    You’re asking the wrong people. We (I at least) think it’s a great idea! Go Gretchen!

Yeah, no kiddin'.  I would have been more shocked if Gretchen didn't pull the trigger on it.

2023-08-05 1:53 PM
    in reply to: #5286378

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
    Hahahaha!!! You guys are funny. I can’t be blamed. I was left unsupervised with nothing to do. (And I did get a discount code, just directly from the RD).

Today was a bit of a flip flop. Was supposed to do a 90’/45’ brick ride/run, but it was storming (again) this morning and we are going to be in heat warnings this afternoon, so I took advantage of a tiny break in the weather to do tomorrow’s scheduled 45’ interval run and then hit masters practice for 3800yds. I’ll do the brick tomorrow.

Good luck tomorrow Mike!! And Nat? Are you racing tomorrow? I’ve lost track. Good luck if so!!
    New Thread
    Other Resources 2023 Beginner Triathlete Mentor Program » Beer Drinkers Appreciation Society (BDAS) 2023 Mentor Group - ALWAYS OPEN Rss Feed  

of 124

RELATED POSTS

KloOfyRoLaNd's Coach/Mentor Group for Newbies -- OPEN

Started by kloofyroland
    Views: 989 Posts: 8

2023-01-26 2:30 PM kloofyroland