BT Development Mentor Program Archives » enginerd's group - CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 17

2008-04-29 11:16 AM
in reply to: #1353607

User image

Expert
Subject: RE: enginerd's group - CLOSED
Lots of really great stuff here. Thanks, all!

Scot, cadence and stride length are the 2 ways to increase or decrease speed. I would caution about lengthening stride as you could end up overstriding and braking. Not only does this slow you down, but it also adds more stress to soft tissue and joints. There is an optimum stride length & cadence (turnover rate) for maximum speed and efficiency. It is different for each person based on the biomechanics of the individual. The more you run at an efficent/fast pace, the more likely you are to find that "sweet spot".

Have a great day, all!!

Edited by LJR 2008-04-29 11:18 AM

2008-04-29 12:30 PM
in reply to: #1369146

Regular
NorCal, near Lake Tahoe, Ca
poweredbyfear - 2008-04-29 8:18 AM

The one thing Donato has told me over and over, and it wasn't until after my last race that I finally *got it* is, "Consistency." My training is up-and-down so I never really build a solid base in anything.

This is the big one for me. It's so easy, after a hard day (or week) at work to say, "I just don't feel like swimming (or biking or running). I'm trying hard to be consistent. It helps having the training plan written out beforehand so I know what I need to do. Like today, I KNOW I'm supposed to swim 2000 yds. It's chilly and windy and I really don't feel like getting wet. But any minute now, I'm going to get my carcass out the door and to the pool because that's what my plan says I have to do and I'm determined to follow it.
2008-04-29 12:52 PM
in reply to: #1369365

User image

Master
San Francisco

LJR - 2008-04-29 9:16 AM Lots of really great stuff here. Thanks, all! Scot, cadence and stride length are the 2 ways to increase or decrease speed. I would caution about lengthening stride as you could end up overstriding and braking. Not only does this slow you down, but it also adds more stress to soft tissue and joints. There is an optimum stride length & cadence (turnover rate) for maximum speed and efficiency. It is different for each person based on the biomechanics of the individual. The more you run at an efficent/fast pace, the more likely you are to find that "sweet spot". Have a great day, all!!

x2 on all of this.  i try to keep a high turnover when I run and oddly enough (maybe not) it can be much more natural after biking...something about the high cadence in biking translates over to my running.

High cadence is supposed to be more efficient on the run because your feet are on the ground for less time and efficiency is always a plus in an endurance activity.

2008-04-29 2:45 PM

User image

Hi everyone!
Just yesterday I was reading about a higher cadence for running and thought I would try to see where I am at and decide if it would help to make changes. I already know that my bike cadence is slow, and I am going to start working on that now.
I have noticed whenever I do bricks that I am faster on the run that expected, and I wonder if it has to do with a higher cadence when come off the bike? Never thought about it before.
As for consistancy, thats a part of my problem. I tend to do what I like! Which basically means I run alot! I hired a coach online because I need someone to set up my plan and I will just do the work. So far it is working great. Every Sun I get my plan for the week and I just have to trust that his plan will have me ready when I need to be! My schedule is crazy so this has helped me to fit it all in. It is also forcing me to do things I may not have. Like the bike, if left on my own I would probably just do the one long ride a week! Now I am on my training one night, got a long ride (this week its 100 miles, YIKES!) and another 25-30 mile ride a ride. My panic on the OWS has also got me to the pool 2 times a week! I really need a Masters program, but nothing works in my crazy shcedule!
Tanya
2008-04-29 10:53 PM

User image

Expert
Woodland, California
This week is driving me crazy!!!  I'm stressing about my knee, I took yesterday off and it actually hurt MORE this morning.  It was feeling better tonight so I did a light spin on the trainer.  I think I'll swim tomorrow.  I'm debating whether I should run at all this week.
2008-04-30 9:52 AM

User image

Veteran
Texas
Robin - totally frustrating! rest up so you don't make it worse.

I worked on cadence last night on the treadmill. Seemed to help me get "into a groove". I'm going to keep working on higher turnover, shorter strides for now and see how that goes. Thanks everyone.

Also, alot of you have talked about working to gain a solid base then add speed work/interval training, etc. - dumb question - what is considered a solid base for running?

2008-04-30 11:10 AM
in reply to: #1372029

User image

Expert
chikopiakomak - 2008-04-30 7:52 AM

Also, alot of you have talked about working to gain a solid base then add speed work/interval training, etc. - dumb question - what is considered a solid base for running?

That's a tough one. I think each person is different, but I would say to have at least 1 year of running under your belt before diving into speedwork. That doesn't mean you shouldn't run a bit harder for shorter bursts (some quick pickups to get your turnover rate higher), but scheduled track workouts may be a bit much too early on.

I started running again last year, went too long/too fast in the earlier stages, then ended up with a hip injury which forced me to stop running again until the beginning of this year. It's been 4 months now and I'm working on 30+ mile/weeks, but still no real structured speedwork. I'll start the speed stuff in the middle of June for a month (after increasing my mileage to about 40/week), then back off on the intenisity/distance before my marathon in August. This has worked for me in the past (way, way long ago) and I'm hoping it does the same this year.

Hope this helps and you're able to sift thru my gibberish! ;-)

Edited by LJR 2008-04-30 11:19 AM
2008-04-30 11:36 AM

User image

Veteran
Tucson, Arizona

All:

Thanks for the input regarding my questions about cadence. 

So, just to be clear, a high cadence is efficient and something I should continue to do, however, I need to be aware of using too long of a stride when I want to go faster.  I take that to mean that if I reach that point of having too long of a stride then I'll want to increase my cadence and keep the stride shorter in order to go faster?  I'm assuming that is where speed work on the track comes into play?

I hope those run-on sentences make sense.

Scot 

2008-04-30 11:55 AM

User image

Good morning!
Last night I decide to work on cadence during my trainer ride. My cadence it very slow, and it is a workout to go over 80 even in easy gears! I am going to keep watching this and try to improve. I also tried taking one foot off and pedaling, like was recommended to me. This was tough too! Bad thing I am noticing is I am learning so much these last 2 months before IM, if only I knew all this before I could have been practicing! It may be too late for much improvement, but I will start working on good techniques and I am sure it will help!
I am going to my first Masters swim tonight, see how that goes! I have always wanted too, but the timing is wrong with the only place I knew off. I did a search and found another. Hopefully the coach is good and I can learn something. Figure I will try tonight and if I don't like it I can always head back to the gym.

Have a good day!
Tanya
2008-04-30 11:59 AM

User image

Expert
Here's a pretty good article on cadence and stride length. It also touches on the effect of cycling on running cadence.

http://www.rungearrun.com/resources/cadence.php
2008-04-30 12:10 PM
in reply to: #1372506

User image

Veteran
Tucson, Arizona
That's a great article and very enlightening.  Thanks.

2008-04-30 1:36 PM

User image

Master
San Francisco

my two cents:

re: base vs. speed work, personally, I've never done a structured speed workout in my swimming, biking or running.  It's not necessary, but it depends on your goals.  If you want to be as fast as you can be, you will need to increase the intensity (speed or hill or strength training). Personally, I don't do any of this (although I naturally get some hills in, so it's more of  a fartlek rather than hill repeats) because I prefer to go long (i.e. endurance) rather than to go faster (i.e. more intense(e.g. I'd rather run an ultramarathon than try to BQ).  As you build your base, you will naturally get more fit and build some speed, but again, if you want to maximize your speed you'll need some speed work.

Additional info: Base building in endurance activities is built on macro cycles.  Think about your three weeks building then you back off a week which sets you up for the next cycle to build from where you were.  Even year to year, you can build base which is really the most reasonable way to get to the long stuff like an Ironman (i.e. you don't try to do an IM in your first year of tris, but build it up over a period of time).

re: cadence and stride length - you definitely don't want to overstride, as Jim mentioned, by putting your feet out in front of you for all kinds of reasons.  You would increase your stride length by increasing your leg strength so that your pulling your leg through the stride and push off is stronger giving you more distance with each step forward.  When I did the marathon on Sunday, most people I saw had terrible cadence esp. towards the final miles, but then again, I'm not in the front with the sub 3-hour finishers and all.

2008-04-30 2:57 PM

User image

Veteran
Texas
Great article and other info.

So it seems I'm totally base building having only started back running in late Feb and probably will continue through this my first tri season. I'm going to take the pressure off myself to get to a certain time in the run at this point and just focus on building and not getting hurt. I'm already seeing progress and am going to work on my cadence and keeping my form tight - this felt good last night on the treadmill.

2008-04-30 7:00 PM

Regular
I've got a question on making up skipped workouts. I was scheduled to do a 60 min bike and a 30 min run today. My problem is that I worked the graveyard shift last night and I'm beat. I did the hour on the bike trainer, but I can't even think about running. Tomorrow is my scheduled day off. The next day I'm schedule for only a swim but running tomorrow will put me into 9 days in a row (even if some are short). Should I do that 30 min run tomorrow and skip my day off this week or just forget it?
Thanks, Syndi
2008-04-30 9:12 PM
in reply to: #1373657

User image

Take the day off and relax and your future workouts will benefit from it.
2008-05-01 9:50 AM

User image

Expert
My first tri is this weekend... any tips to make it a success? My goal is to have tons of fun and to pace myself well throughout. This weekend will be a learning experience, that's for sure.

Happy training.

2008-05-01 10:20 AM
in reply to: #1374804

User image

Expert
Illinois

LJR - 2008-05-01 9:50 AM My first tri is this weekend... any tips to make it a success? My goal is to have tons of fun and to pace myself well throughout. This weekend will be a learning experience, that's for sure. Happy training.

No advice since I'm a newb, just good luck, stay focused and most of all, have fun with it! And of course, a detailed RR upon your return!

2008-05-01 10:32 AM

User image

Expert
Woodland, California

LJR - 2008-05-01 7:50 AM My first tri is this weekend... any tips to make it a success? My goal is to have tons of fun and to pace myself well throughout. This weekend will be a learning experience, that's for sure. Happy training.

Looking at your logs, it appears you are more than ready and should do great.  The only advice I can give is to work out the details of your transitions before the race.  Get there early and take time to lay out your stuff.  As for the race, just relax and have fun!!!  Looking forward to the RR!!

2008-05-01 12:45 PM

User image

Veteran
Texas
LJR - 2008-05-01 7:50 AM

My first tri is this weekend... any tips to make it a success? My goal is to have tons of fun and to pace myself well throughout. This weekend will be a learning experience, that's for sure.

Happy training.

Jim - Have a great race - you look strong and ready! Looking forward to your RR (with pics! with everyone else.
2008-05-01 2:01 PM

User image

Master
San Francisco

Hi Jim.  I think you have the right attitude for your first...it is a learning experience so have fun and don't worry about any time goals since you just don't know what is possible or required at this point.  You already know to pace yourself and not kill yourself in any discipline (except if you are feeling strong towards the end).  Trust in your training...you've put in the work and hours to get it done and your strength on the run will serve you well.

Think through what you need to do in transitions to make sure you have everything you need and it's setup how you need it.  Once you're set up in transition, make sure you know where the swim return is and how to get to your stuff (walking it beforehand helps just so you know how everything looks and what landmarks you can use to aid you to orient and locate).  Know where the bike exit and entrance is and where the run exit is.  The transition area can look very different when you come in from a different part of it. 

Depending on how you feel about the OWS with others, place yourself at the start accordingly.  The more confident you are in your swim, the more you can move to the front and inside.  The turns tend to get a little congested, so just be aware of that.

Good luck although I'm confident you'll do a great job and provide all of us with a great RR.

2008-05-01 2:40 PM

Regular
I don't have any advice to add. I just want to say good luck and have fun!

2008-05-01 3:48 PM

User image

Expert
Computerland
LJR - 2008-05-01 10:50 AM

Happy training.

I am sure you are going to love triathlons. After my first I was more then addicted! According to your logs, you seem more then ready for your first. Just relax and you will do great. I am doing a triathlon this weekend too. Good luck!
2008-05-01 4:43 PM

User image

Expert
Thanks all. I've got the Black Butte Porter on ice for Sunday after the race. Priorities...
2008-05-01 4:53 PM
in reply to: #1376213

User image

Veteran
Texas
amyro1234 - 2008-05-01 1:48 PM

LJR - 2008-05-01 10:50 AM

Happy training.

I am sure you are going to love triathlons. After my first I was more then addicted! According to your logs, you seem more then ready for your first. Just relax and you will do great. I am doing a triathlon this weekend too. Good luck!

Amy - good luck to you too!!
2008-05-01 5:03 PM
in reply to: #1376377

User image

Veteran
Tucson, Arizona

LJR - 2008-05-01 2:43 PM Thanks all. I've got the Black Butte Porter on ice for Sunday after the race. Priorities...

Ohhhh!  Now THAT'S some post-race nutrition!

Remember to have fun and enjoy the race...after all, that's the point isn't it?  I look forward to reading the RR. 

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » enginerd's group - CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 17