BT Development Mentor Program Archives » tcovert's Group - CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 18

2008-05-02 8:56 PM
in reply to: #1379165

User image

Overland Park, KS
Subject: RE: tcovert's Group - CLOSED

can't figure out how to show the part I'm responding to as a quote - it said quote before and after it????

2008-05-02 11:04 PM
in reply to: #1379170

User image

Elite
san francisco
run_carmen - 2008-05-02 6:56 PM

can't figure out how to show the part I'm responding to as a quote - it said quote before and after it????

Hi Carmen- to quote, just left click at the end of the sentence you want to quote and highlight up to the beginning of the part you want to quote, release and it should stay highlighted, then click on quote, you will get a box that says Posting a reply to: whatever thread, then type in your response and hit submit. Okay, I am trying it and if it works, that's what you do.

2008-05-03 1:06 PM
in reply to: #1358169

User image

Minneapolis, MN
Hey everyone - So my week went pretty well. I was able to ride my bike to work 4 days this week. A typical week only allows me to ride to work like 2 or 3 days because I need my car to attend meetings that are not at my office.
This weekend I am hoping to get in a long bike ride both days. I went out this morning with some friends and we rode a little more than 2 hrs. It was a really easy pace though. I am starting to find that if I want a specific kind of workout or want to go a specific speed I gotta go out and do it on my own. That's fine, I don't mind biking or running alone. I'll do my ride alone tomorrow and try to push it some. I am planning on doing a brick run tomorrow too. Just plan on running like 2 miles after the bike. Should be a good day for it!
Now I'm off for a haircut and to run some errands. Might swim later.
Sarah
2008-05-03 1:33 PM
in reply to: #1379738

User image

Veteran
Washington , MO

Slahmmer - 2008-05-03 1:06 PM Hey everyone - So my week went pretty well. I was able to ride my bike to work 4 days this week. A typical week only allows me to ride to work like 2 or 3 days because I need my car to attend meetings that are not at my office. This weekend I am hoping to get in a long bike ride both days. I went out this morning with some friends and we rode a little more than 2 hrs. It was a really easy pace though. I am starting to find that if I want a specific kind of workout or want to go a specific speed I gotta go out and do it on my own. That's fine, I don't mind biking or running alone. I'll do my ride alone tomorrow and try to push it some. I am planning on doing a brick run tomorrow too. Just plan on running like 2 miles after the bike. Should be a good day for it! Now I'm off for a haircut and to run some errands. Might swim later. Sarah

Yep, i found out my best workouts are alone and riding/running/swimming with friends is for active/recovery fun. Have fun on your long day sunday. 

Rock on, John

2008-05-03 1:34 PM

User image

Texas
For the most part my week went pretty good....I want to get stronger on my swimming, but i know it takes time.  I was planning on working out yesterday and having Sat. off, but i messed that up.  I am going to work out today and i really want to get another long run in so i will prob do that on sunday.  I bought a Bike!!!!!  Pics comming soon....maybe next wed. or tuesday.  It is being shipped.  Other than that, week is good.  I have finals next week..... Yell.  Hope everyone has a great weekend.
2008-05-03 7:12 PM

User image

Arizona
Wow, so I feel like a total bum. I didn't do much of anything this week. But after a whole week of this dang cold not getting any better, I finally caved and went to the doctor. Which is actually the first time I've seen a doctor for not feeling well in like ten years... But apparently I have bronchtis... so that's my excuse. He gave me some antibiotics though so I'm hoping to get back on track next week.

On the 50m pool swim, this last race I ran was in a 50m pool, and I was worried since I had only trained in a 25m pool. I didn't have any problems though. The only thing was that the swim was a sort of serpentine thing so you had to go under the lane lines. That was really akward. In hindsight, I should have got in the pool before the race to practice going back and forth between lanes. During the race, I just took my time to make sure I wouldn't get hung up, and that no doubt cost me some time.

Carmen - sorry to hear about your job. At least you have a couple months to find a new one. You could always join the Army - we don't fire anybody. Even though we should.... Although my job right now consists mainly of forwarding e-mails from a higher headquarters to our subordinate units... so it isn't nearly as exciting as the commercials make it sound....

Courtney

2008-05-03 8:32 PM
in reply to: #1380064

User image

Texas

Carmen - sorry to hear about your job. At least you have a couple months to find a new one. You could always join the Army - we don't fire anybody. Even though we should.Courtney

LOL so true we dont fire anyone.  And most jobs are pretty easy.  And you get to see some cool places and get into better shape.  Love the comment CBW lol 

2008-05-04 8:28 AM

User image

Elite
san francisco
Hi guys-
Sorry about the job Carmen. I also had a rough week this week, we had to put our dog to sleep on Monday night. I've never had to make that decision before, but she'd been with me for all 16 years of her life and her health had really deteriorated the past few months. She always did the best she could for me, so I feel we had to do this for her so she wouldn't be in so much pain. I spent this week with a heavy heart but know that she is in a good place now.

Somehow I was able to get all of my training in. I think sitting around would have made me even more melancholy. It felt very odd to have an extra hour in the morning since that was normally our walk time. My hardest workout this week was on Friday and it kicked my booty. Swim 18 x 25 yard sprints w/45 sec rest...I did these in 25/26 secs til the end. Then, 15 x 100 full effort w/30 sec rest, maintain av. speed. I did these in 2:10 all the way to the end. I was dying. I got this training schedule out of a book. And when I first looked at it 10 weeks ago, I looked ahead to this particular workout and thought there's no way I'll ever do that but I stuck to the schedule and made it through. I also thought at the time, why bother doing sprints, or full effort, when I can't even swim 100 yards at once slowly. But it really has helped increase my speed, my earlier logs show that a fast 100 for me was closer to 2:30 or so. That's significant for me. I know I should try and take lessons or sign up for a master's class to improve upon that and maybe now that I have more endurance, I will feel more confident in doing so, but these books and even tips from reading the swimming threads here on BT have helped me so much.

Anyhow, hope everyone has a good week coming up. I need to look at my upcoming schedule for a breakdown of training. This is supposed to be an easier week as my race is 2 weeks out.
Today is a rest day for me. Family things scheduled.

Take care all.
2008-05-04 2:50 PM
in reply to: #1380439

User image

Champion
Northridge, California
So sorry about your dog, Kim. I've been through that several times now with cats and it's always rough. Sixteen years is a good long life, but I know it can't have been easy to say goodbye.

Really great job sticking with your plans for the swim in spite of that...those 15 100s in 2:10 is great, esp. if you were only doing 100 in 2:30 not long ago. If you get to the 1:58-2:00 range for a workout like that, you will be ahead of most beginning triathletes (and a whole lot who aren't beginners, come to think of it).
2008-05-04 8:00 PM

User image

Overland Park, KS

John - I've checked this about three times this evening... curious to hear how your event went today!

I'm excited for a new week of training - looking at my schedule now and trying to come up with a plan.  I've already packed a healthy lunch for tomorrow so trying to start the week off right. Tongue out  I spent last year losing weight and this year trying to maintain - some guy said something at the tri clinic that really stuck with me.  He said "Eat to train, don't train to eat"  I kind of liked that!

2008-05-05 12:24 AM
in reply to: #1381057

User image

Champion
Northridge, California
run_carmen - 2008-05-04 6:00 PM

He said "Eat to train, don't train to eat"  I kind of liked that!

Excellent thought. I know a lot of people fall into the mentality of saying to themselves, "I burned a lot of calories, so I earned a lot of calories," but if you are trying to lose weight or maintain weightloss, that thinking is deadly.

Exercise makes the process easier, but it is attention to good nutritional habits that is by far the most important aspect.

For me, I got on my diet for about four months before I started exercising (and lost about 9 lbs during that time) and then started walking everyday. I didn't even think about entering any sort of race until over a year later.

Edited by tcovert 2008-05-05 12:24 AM

2008-05-05 7:05 AM

User image

Veteran
Washington , MO

Hey gang,

The race went well yesterday and i met my goal so overall i'm pleased with my performance. Man was it ever cold (around 45 deg's) running from the swim complex to the transition area which was around 400 meters or so away. The swim stunk for me but it appears they added the run from the pool to the trans area to the time so i feel a little better. The bike course was really fast with only a couple hills and i felt good on it.  The run started out great with 13:27 after 2 miles but then i got a pain in my abs and i nearly had to walk. Not sure what that was all about since i've never had anything like it in my life, but it stayed with me till after i finished.   Overall time was 1:17:16 , and 126/539 overall placing.

The MS practice group ride with a friend was a blast. It was supported and sponsered by a bike shop in the St. Charles area. Beautiful scenery.

I did manage to get a speeding ticket in my rush from Columbia to St. Charles, so i guess i was fast at something yesterday

peace, John

2008-05-05 7:14 AM

User image

Veteran
Washington , MO

So, whats everyone got on tap this week?

Mon-> PM- 45min recovery bike (basically rest day)

Tues-> PM- 60min bike, 30min run Brick

Wed-> AM - 2000m swim

Thur-> AM- 1200m swim ,  PM -90min run

Fri-> AM- 1600m swim

Sat-> REST DAY

Sun-> PM- 2hr bike, 30min run Brick

Have a great and enjoyable week!

2008-05-05 11:39 AM

User image

Expert
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
I think I'm going to have a tough time putting a plan together this week, I'm out in Seattle until the 13th, but I'm going to do my best to at least keep up with running while I'm here. There's an athletic center close by with a pool that I'm going to try to hit too. Good luck to everybody!
2008-05-05 11:43 AM
in reply to: #1381488

User image

Overland Park, KS
jcash683 - 2008-05-05 7:05 AM

Hey gang,

The race went well yesterday and i met my goal so overall i'm pleased with my performance. Man was it ever cold (around 45 deg's) running from the swim complex to the transition area which was around 400 meters or so away. The swim stunk for me but it appears they added the run from the pool to the trans area to the time so i feel a little better. The bike course was really fast with only a couple hills and i felt good on it.  The run started out great with 13:27 after 2 miles but then i got a pain in my abs and i nearly had to walk. Not sure what that was all about since i've never had anything like it in my life, but it stayed with me till after i finished.   Overall time was 1:17:16 , and 126/539 overall placing.

The MS practice group ride with a friend was a blast. It was supported and sponsered by a bike shop in the St. Charles area. Beautiful scenery.

I did manage to get a speeding ticket in my rush from Columbia to St. Charles, so i guess i was fast at something yesterday

peace, John

Nice job on the race John - busy day for you!  Sorry about the speeding ticket!

2008-05-05 12:16 PM

User image

Champion
Northridge, California
Excellent job, John!

Generally speaking, there's always going to be some distance of run included in the swim split of a tri...so when you see folks who are doing 1:30-1:35 per 100 yds, realize that the way that's calculated, the time from the water to the timing mat at transition is included, but the distance of that run isn't, so they are actually swimming even faster than their pace suggests.

2008-05-05 12:22 PM

User image

Champion
Northridge, California
I did my longest ride ever on Saturday and my longest run since LA Marathon on March 2 on Sunday, so this is going to be a rest week for me (and probably also the beginning of a much longer taper than I would normally do for my 12K on 5/18).

Today - Bike commute - ~12 mi.

Tues - Run 4 mi

Wed - Bike commute - probably just 12 mi., but if I feel up to it, I might ride the full 20 mi to work in the morning instead of just biking to the subway

Thurs - 5K tempo run

Fri - Bike commute - 12 mi.

Sat - Bike ~30 mi, then swim 2000 yds

Sun - Easy 7.1 mile run w/ my wife at her pace (her last long run to prep for the 12K)

Then, since Sun. is my birthday, we're going to the Renaissance Fair.
2008-05-05 3:26 PM
in reply to: #1382316

User image

Veteran
Washington , MO

Ah, thanks for the insight Todd on the run included in the swim, should help me better select my swim group next time around, heh. I'm a total noob!

peace, John

2008-05-05 3:51 PM

User image

Texas

My week is going to be full of finals and papers due.  But working out in the morning always gives me energy so hopefully im not to tired from late night studying to work out.

Monday-  Nothing real Tri specific.  15 Min Bike Ride and then hour of strength and Cardio work out.

Tuesday- Swim 700M - Bike 25 min

Wednesday- 4 Mile Run

Thursday- Bike 25 Min then 2-3 mile run

Friday- Swim as long as I can

Sat- Off

Sunday- Straight Cardio Party 

2008-05-05 4:07 PM

User image

Elite
san francisco
Thanks for the kind words Todd. Happy early Birthday wishes to you. Have one of those Giant Turkey drumsticks for me at the Renaissance Fair!

This week for me is busy: I am not seeing how it's a taper other than a few less minutes than last week. Hmm.

Monday: early am: 2000 swim including my last 1500 time trial.
late am: 24 mi bike with 2.4 mile run brick
Tuesday: spin one hour/ strength train and core work
Wed: am: swim 5 x 200
Thurs: 37 minute tempo run/ one hour spin (maybe)
Fri: am: Swim: 20 x 25 sprints 40 sec rest/ 6 x 100 descending 1-3/4-6
Sat: 62 min run ( slow)
Sunday rest....

Have a good week everyone!

2008-05-05 5:15 PM
in reply to: #1383104

User image

Champion
Northridge, California
kt65 - 2008-05-05 2:07 PM

Happy early Birthday wishes to you. Have one of those Giant Turkey drumsticks for me at the Renaissance Fair!

Thanks.

Actually my guilty pleasure food at the Faire these days is usually a hot link on red beans and rice. No more turkey legs. Or "toad in a hole" (yummy sausage roll in flaky crust). Or stuffed jalapenos (aka "dragon eggs").

2008-05-05 5:44 PM

User image

Veteran
Washington , MO

Race report is up! For those that dont know, you can access it on my page and select race tab, or look for it in the race report forum section.

The Renaissance Fair sounds like a blast, Todd.  I've always wanted to go to one of those.

peace, John

2008-05-05 10:25 PM

User image

Minneapolis, MN
The last few weeks I feel as if I have been neglecting my swimming. I've been making it to the pool twice a week, but that's it typically. These last few weeks before my race I'd like to try to focus on swimming so I guess my goal for this next week is to get in 4 swims. I typically get a lot of training done on weekends but this coming weekend I have a 12 hr adventure race. (Adventure races involve running, kayaking, mountain biking and orienteering.) It'll be a 12 hr cross training event They are super fun.
That's it, Sarah
2008-05-06 7:44 AM
in reply to: #1383843

User image

Veteran
Washington , MO

Slahmmer - 2008-05-05 10:25 PM The last few weeks I feel as if I have been neglecting my swimming. I've been making it to the pool twice a week, but that's it typically. These last few weeks before my race I'd like to try to focus on swimming so I guess my goal for this next week is to get in 4 swims. I typically get a lot of training done on weekends but this coming weekend I have a 12 hr adventure race. (Adventure races involve running, kayaking, mountain biking and orienteering.) It'll be a 12 hr cross training event They are super fun. That's it, Sarah

Niiiiice, adventure racing sounds sweet, I even took an adventure racing class and an orienteering class to figure out how the navigating works. Hard to find the time to squeeze in another activity atm however. It sounds like it should be an awesome workout and great fun. Keep us posted on how this weekend goes!

John

John

2008-05-06 8:20 AM

User image

Minneapolis, MN
I think one of the sweet things about adventure racing is you can train for other events such as triathlons, marathons, etc and just use your fitness from those events to compete in adventure races. So the only time committment is the races (and its a pretty big financial commitment because the gear needed doesn't overlap much with running/tris at all). The only draw back of this training philosophy is my teammates and I spend ZERO time practicing our paddling skills. In our race about a month ago pretty much every team passed us in the kayaks, but we caught everyone on the mountain bikes

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » tcovert's Group - CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 18