Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 18

2008-05-09 3:15 PM
in reply to: #1393050

User image

Extreme Veteran
Minnetonka Beach, MN
Subject: RE: Gat's Mentor Group - Closed

jana0317 - 2008-05-09 3:05 PM I have a "not stupid question." I have never biked competively. I understand drafting makes it easier for the cyclist. I also understand it is illegal in the race. I read the rules and they say you have to be so many meters away from another cyclist. I really don't understand this. Can someone explain this better? Where is the best spot to be and where shouldn't I be? Thanks, Jana

It is oddly enough, fairly simple despite the complex explanations you hear.  

• stay to the right when riding
  • do not get directly behind the rider infront of you any closer than the rules dictate
  • When passing, you must pass within the allotted time and pull back to the right (typically) after passing
  • When passed, you must drop back out of the drafting zone (the distance indicated in the ruls)

Now there are situations that can make it more difficult, but typically, that is all you need to know!

Robb

Edited by ball6135 2008-05-09 3:51 PM

2008-05-09 4:30 PM
in reply to: #1391522

Extreme Veteran
Vermont

"I hate when my hubbie is right, and it is too often, but he was saying that my cal intake was too high to lose weight".

MM, this happens to me a lot as well.  It is okay that he is right every now and then.  However, you should not feel obligated to tell him that he was right.  Seriously though, fitday is a great tool to help track your nutrition and to help with weight loss and activity goals.

Edited by gatjr33 2008-05-09 4:36 PM
2008-05-09 4:34 PM
in reply to: #1391820

Extreme Veteran
Vermont
ball6135 - 2008-05-09 7:19 AM

MuscleMomma - 2008-05-08 9:19 PM ...Rob, what a great thing to share with your wife. You are a mighty fine looking couple. 

LOL.. I will certainly pass on the compliment to Michelle!!!!   We do enjoy it, although with two little girls, not much time to train together!  We only have one race scheduled together this year...  She just raced in IronGirl LasVegas and finished 88 out of 244!!!  3rd out of the water with 15 minutes of training in the past 3 months (4 time NCAA Nat. Champion in the 50 and 100 free)...  gotta love her!

Yup, I have a whole new appreciation for those with a decent swimming background.  Folks that can not touch water for 9 months and still jump in and just fly.  I usually appreciate them a great deal more if they are not in the lane next to me!! 

2008-05-09 10:05 PM
in reply to: #1370022

User image

Extreme Veteran
, Connecticut
Gat's,
Thanks for making this group feel so upbeat!

Jana,
I laughed when I read your question as I have only raced in a local sprint that is full of really good athletes who use it as a training race. Some people finish in 56 mins!!!

I ride by myself, hoping I'm not lost and then I'll see the runners, so I know I'm still on course. The last time I raced the Thursday night event, the organizer tried to get me to only bike one loop as he told me that he would not give me support in the dark.
I was adament that I had worked to improve my times and nothing would keep me from finishing. He was not very nice.
Then as I was swimming (OK, not sinking) I realized that I forgot to get my timing chip. I got out of the water deflated thinking it was all over. The organizer realized what happened and told me to get reading to bike, that he would get me the chip. He put it on for me and told me to go! Then as I made the turn for the last .3 of a mile run there was another guy in a pick-up waiting for me. He said he was afraid he missed me. He was there to ride behind me with his lights on for protection.
Got lots of waves from other triathletes as they passed me driving home. I did it in 1h45m, which isn't the worst time in the world, but as I said, this race has lots of good people.

So I had to laugh, I don't know what I'll do when I am actually riding and running with other people!!!

I've found triathletes so supportive, but I just don't want to be the charity case this year.

Sad to say, but my cal intake today was back up to 2000. Let myself get too hungry and then we do a special Shabbot dinner every Friday night. Holiday meals are hard for me to control. Of course if I make good choices all week, Friday nights won't hurt me.

Hope everyone is doing well.
2008-05-11 2:19 AM

User image

Regular
Hilo, Hawaii
I hope everyone's having a good weekend!  Look's like a lot of us have races coming up soon and I'm glad to have you all to keep me pushing!
2008-05-11 8:41 AM

User image

Regular
Happy Mother's Day Ladies.

2008-05-11 7:27 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
, Connecticut
Mike, looks like you did a nice brick the other day. How did your legs feel?

Hope everyone is having a great day.
2008-05-11 9:28 PM

User image

Regular
Elkhorn

Hello everyone,

What's the plan for the week? I need to work off the pancakes, eggs, cookies, etc that I overate on today for Mother's day.

I upgraded my membership to Gold this weekend. I need to figure out whether I'm going to do an Oly June 21. I'm thinking that I may stick to Sprints. I just don't know if I can fit in all the training, plus I've got to find time to lift!

ctnord

2008-05-11 10:59 PM

User image

Regular
My first ever race is two weeks away - my wife wants suggestions as to where she should get to watch.  Any general suggestions knowing she will have three kids in tow?
2008-05-12 3:31 AM
in reply to: #1395284

User image

Regular
Hilo, Hawaii

Legs feel good.  I purposefully took Mothers Day off to spend w/ the wife and kids though.  It's the start of my taper, so I've started my antioxidant and extra rest routine.  It's a good thing I like the taste of Jamba Juices Cold Buster smoothie! 

I'm doing a taper where about 3 weeks out I do a long ride (the 76 miler this past Tuesday), 2 weeks out a long run (hopefully a 15-16 miler) and about 1 week out a longish swim (about 4000 yards).  We'll see how this works.  Despite this, I plan on decreasing my overall training times about 20% each week for the final 3 weeks.

Happy Mothers' Day!

2008-05-12 8:17 AM

Veteran
Beaumont, TX
Silver member
I will try to put in a 4 mile run today. It was suppose to be yesterday but we had family over. Hope everyone had a good Mother's Day!

2008-05-12 9:50 AM
in reply to: #1395576

User image

Master

johnlj101 - 2008-05-11 10:59 PM My first ever race is two weeks away - my wife wants suggestions as to where she should get to watch.  Any general suggestions knowing she will have three kids in tow?

My husband and son hung out by the transition area.  They could see the start and finish on the swim, both transitions, and then the finish was right there too.  If if is all together like mine was, I would definately recommend this spot.

As for this week (and the rest of the month), I hope to just get in something.  I was at a wedding in Louisiana this weekend and ate some of the best food on the planet!  Now, I have a little back peddaling to do on the weightloss.   I have to work about 14 hour days til the beginning of June, so I'm not looking to get in much training time for the next few weeks.

2008-05-12 10:21 AM
in reply to: #1393664

Extreme Veteran
Vermont

MuscleMomma - 2008-05-09 10:05 PM Gat's, Thanks for making this group feel so upbeat! Jana, I laughed when I read your question as I have only raced in a local sprint that is full of really good athletes who use it as a training race. Some people finish in 56 mins!!! I ride by myself, hoping I'm not lost and then I'll see the runners, so I know I'm still on course. The last time I raced the Thursday night event, the organizer tried to get me to only bike one loop as he told me that he would not give me support in the dark. I was adament that I had worked to improve my times and nothing would keep me from finishing. He was not very nice. Then as I was swimming (OK, not sinking) I realized that I forgot to get my timing chip. I got out of the water deflated thinking it was all over. The organizer realized what happened and told me to get reading to bike, that he would get me the chip. He put it on for me and told me to go! Then as I made the turn for the last .3 of a mile run there was another guy in a pick-up waiting for me. He said he was afraid he missed me. He was there to ride behind me with his lights on for protection. Got lots of waves from other triathletes as they passed me driving home. I did it in 1h45m, which isn't the worst time in the world, but as I said, this race has lots of good people. So I had to laugh, I don't know what I'll do when I am actually riding and running with other people!!! I've found triathletes so supportive, but I just don't want to be the charity case this year. Sad to say, but my cal intake today was back up to 2000. Let myself get too hungry and then we do a special Shabbot dinner every Friday night. Holiday meals are hard for me to control. Of course if I make good choices all week, Friday nights won't hurt me. Hope everyone is doing well.

I am glad that things are upbeat and hopefully the stay interactive.  I enjoyed reading your comments.  There are people out there that would love to try a tri, but they are afraid, because they do not want to DNF or be DFL.  I have DNF'd before.  It hurt the ego, but I took it as a challenge and went right back after that race.  I cannot say that I have ever been close to being DFL, but I am not blazing fast either.  I often tell people that some times I want to get more for my money, so I go slower.  I always stick with the DNS is far worse than either DFL or DNF.  It means you tried!! 

2008-05-12 10:22 AM

Extreme Veteran
Vermont
johnlj101 - 2008-05-11 10:59 PM My first ever race is two weeks away - my wife wants suggestions as to where she should get to watch.  Any general suggestions knowing she will have three kids in tow?
2008-05-12 10:22 AM

Extreme Veteran
Vermont

Hey John, it really depends on the course.  With three kids, my initial thought is to be close to the transition area that way they can see you come out of the water and head out on the bike, and then back from the bike and heading out on the run.  Then off to the finish line.  For shorter races, my family does this very well and I get to see them often.  It really helps to motivate. 

Edited by gatjr33 2008-05-12 10:24 AM
2008-05-12 2:42 PM

New user

Simple question, Is there any way to set up the website so you get daily email notifications?

My training's been going ok.  It seems like i've hit a wall and its hard to take the next jump.. But i appreciate the positive outlook and help!!! 

2008-05-12 3:19 PM
in reply to: #1397276

Extreme Veteran
Vermont
duffers - 2008-05-12 2:42 PM

Simple question, Is there any way to set up the website so you get daily email notifications?

My training's been going ok.  It seems like i've hit a wall and its hard to take the next jump.. But i appreciate the positive outlook and help!!! 

I think if you go into your control panel you can receive email notifications.  I did this a while back and found that I was getting way too many emails on a regular basis.  You can give it a try though.  Your training seems to be going fine.  I find that sometimes I have lull in my training and I just need to either pick it up a notch or get a bit creative.  Stay focused and keep working.

2008-05-12 3:41 PM
in reply to: #1397276

User image

Extreme Veteran
Minnetonka Beach, MN
duffers - 2008-05-12 2:42 PM

Daily for your training Plan?

2008-05-12 6:20 PM

User image

Regular
Elkhorn

John - All I can say is be specific. My husband and kids were at Pizza Ranch when I finished my race. They were there cheering me on when I came through on T2, but then were nowhere to be found. My husband was like I didn't know how long it would take you to do the run.

I know some people who are there for each transition and then at the end. If my kids were to be there that's where I would want them. Now..the really supportive families drive then cheer on every few miles during the bike.

He says it isn't a spectator sport!

Ctnord

2008-05-13 8:28 AM

Extreme Veteran
Vermont

John,

It might be a bit challenging to tell your family where you think you will be at certain times, which is why the transition area works so well.  However, as you race more, you will have a better idea as to where you will be.  I can pretty much tell my family within a reasonable tolerance when I should be out of the water, coming off the bike and finishing the run.  Sure things can go wrong or you could have a really good or not so good race, but you get the gist.  It is exciting to be racing in two weeks.  I am also racing in two weeks, first of the year.  I am getting a tad bit anxious.

2008-05-13 12:15 PM
in reply to: #1390236

User image

New user

carlacrews - 2008-05-08 8:53 PM
ball6135 - 2008-05-08 12:04 PM

RD,  it would also be good to set your goals appropriately for that sprint! 

My first sprint goal was simply to finish without injury!  We are all taking on a level of activity that very few people even consider, much less participate in.  Finishing a sprint is a great accomplishment!!!

Once I was sure I could finish, I also set a goal of 2 hours for my first sprint.  I gave me something to race against. 

To be honest just finishing is really the goal and once I have that then we can look at times. But thanks. My brother in law is in the race and so I know hell hammer me but it will be good to take part in a quiet way even though.

in reply to: #1390049

User image

New user

ball6135 - 2008-05-08 8:04 PM

My first sprint goal was simply to finish without injury!  We are all taking on a level of activity that very few people even consider, much less participate in.  Finishing a sprint is a great accomplishment!!!

User image

New user

2008-05-13 12:16 PM

User image

New user

Many thanks - finishing intact with no injury will do just fine for me for just now.

2008-05-13 12:21 PM
in reply to: #1390566

User image

New user

MuscleMomma - 2008-05-08 10:38 PM Red Dragon, Why the rush on the first tri? And how come no more tri's after that? I'd suggest doing lots of sprints this summer as a way to stay motivated to train for the longer range goal of the HIM next year. Maybe an oly at the end of the summer? Can you get a half marathon in sometime this year?

Thanks - you are right and I was looking at some races - honest! LOL.

The rush is I said I'd do it with my brother in law and I intend to keep it though I am doing 13 min miles and swim like a brick, but hey. Nothing worthwhile is easy without a little effort at least. I am looking at doing maybe 3 more sprints this year. Look at a winter half mary and try to get some fell running in when I am fit enough (late summer I guess).

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Gat's Mentor Group - Closed Rss Feed  

of 18