BT Development Mentor Program Archives » kellc09's Mentor group - CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 30

2008-12-20 6:09 PM
in reply to: #1864996

User image

Extreme Veteran
Southeastern Michigan
Subject: RE: kellc09's Mentor group - CLOSED

kkcbelle - 2008-12-20 5:19 PM Don't be hard on yourself, Bronwyn. Family comes first. But we all do tend to feel better when we can get those workouts in. My family is (slowly) learning I am a happier and better mother when I get to train a little bit. It is hard to feel grumpy when you can't do what you wanted or planned -- but it happens. Good luck with the outside run. I got in 7-ish miles before our pending wind/snowstorm. Did it on snowy trails and it wasn't fun as the footwork was really treacherous. But I am happier for having done it, of course!

Thanks, Kyla.  Great job on the seven miles!

I am hoping to get in 7 tomorrow in the snow.  My youngest daughter is seven and can put on the sad puppy eyes...It is awful!! She just wants her mom home!  

It is hard to know when to stand my ground.  In the summer, I can train before they wake up but in the winter it is harder.  I can't run at 5am in the dark and cold and ice.   I wish I still had a treadmill.  

2008-12-20 7:58 PM
in reply to: #1864710

User image

Master
Lafayette, IN
Subject: RE: kellc09's Mentor group - OPEN
roni_runnw - 2008-12-20 11:00 AM

kkcbelle - 2008-12-17 2:36 PM I'm not sure how to include a quote... But hi Roni -- I live in the PacNW (Bellevue, WA). I, too, am struggling with motivation to get on the trainer with the weather. It is so easy for me to throw on shoes and head out for a run, no matter what the weather. I think part of that is also that I'm never sure just what to do on a trainer to make it worth my while. I can choose a run in advance, or play around with pace as the mood hits, or decide to tackle a few hills, but I don't have that same creativity when I'm going nowhere. Have you chosen your 09 marathon? Looking forward to the group. Kellie, you mentioned adding you as a friend -- I'm not sure how to do that? Kyla

Hi Kyla! I'm going to do the Yakima River Canyon Marathon on April 4th. It follows the Yakima River from Ellensburg to Selah, WA. It's a pretty small event, but I've read lots of reports from people who have done it in the past and they all had really positive things to say about it. Yeah, I know what you mean about how much easier it is to run during the Winter. That's why I try to focus on run training in the Winter, but last Winter I didn't bike or swim at all other than a few spin classes and I felt like I had lost alot of my base fitness in biking and swimming when I got back to it in the Spring. That's why I'm trying to keep atleast 2 bikes and swims in my training schedule this Winter for maintenance. The trainer is definitely a struggle though! One thing that has helped me some is the cycling threshold training that jorge is doing here on BT. You can find the posting in the "mentor group archives" under "increase your cycling power over winter. It give you a program to follow with intervals and different workouts each day on the bike which does make it more interesting. I'm still struggling to be consistent though.

Roni

I am also doing that program.  I like it though I got more than a week behind due to travel and sickness.  I am finishing week 3 tomorrow.  It does make riding the trainer much better!

2008-12-20 11:22 PM
in reply to: #1864773

User image

Extreme Veteran
Albany, NY
slow turtle - 2008-12-20 1:05 PM

Sorry for the ridiculous number of reposts! My computer freaked out on me! I can't figure out how to erase them eitherFrown.

What I was trying to ask was: Does shoveling a foot of snow from my 5 car driveway count as a workout today?Laughing

Haha I was thinking the same thing! My driveway probably fits 6 cars. The problem is that its built into a hill. So half the driveway has approximately 9 foot high walls on both sides, with the remainder tapering down. Therefore I have to push all the snow to the end of the driveway, then shovel it to the sides!! Frown

2008-12-21 6:31 AM
in reply to: #1865510

User image

Expert
zee744 - 2008-12-21 12:22 AM
slow turtle - 2008-12-20 1:05 PM

Sorry for the ridiculous number of reposts! My computer freaked out on me! I can't figure out how to erase them eitherFrown.

What I was trying to ask was: Does shoveling a foot of snow from my 5 car driveway count as a workout today?Laughing

Haha I was thinking the same thing! My driveway probably fits 6 cars. The problem is that its built into a hill. So half the driveway has approximately 9 foot high walls on both sides, with the remainder tapering down. Therefore I have to push all the snow to the end of the driveway, then shovel it to the sides!! Frown

Zee-Yours sonds much worse than mine! I can just go to the edges! Where in Upstate NY are you? I'm in the Albany area...and the weather guy says 6-10 more inches today!

-Heidi

Edited by slow turtle 2008-12-21 6:32 AM
2008-12-21 7:15 AM
in reply to: #1856184

User image

Expert
Shelby Twp

WEIGHT LOSS CHALLENGE POST

Man, weather is bad here, again, today in Michigan!  I really hope that we are given a early spring this year since apparently winter really jumped the gun this year!

So its Christmas week, I just got my workout schedule for the week.   So what is everyones plans workout wise for the week?

It can be hard to get in the workouts, and/or stay away from all the great food with all the bouncing between families   So what I try to do during the holidays is make sure I get as many workouts in as I can, and especially in the morning before we leave for family get togethers with lots of food.   I may not lose weight this week, that may not be too realistic, but my goal is to not gain.  

So my weight going into this holiday week is 134.8.   I will repost on Friday, hoping its not over 135!

For those looking for some weight loss help, or accountability and to maintain... we'll do this every Friday.   Sound good?    (sorry I didnt get this out on Friday)  I plan to keep going with this, posting my weight every Friday, and if you guys want to post some about your diet for the week etc, that is good to.  My goal by tri season is 125.  Thats what I was during my IM training, but wow it was hard not to eat so much after I was done with the IM

2008-12-21 11:09 AM

User image

Expert

Weight this week: 136 yesterday morning (Friday). My goal is to be 132 by the end of January.

So, for this week, I just want to maintain this weight.

Also, drink more water and less DC. More water= more than 20 oz a day. It's not too hard on days that I bike, but much harder on other days.

Off to play in the snow!!

2008-12-21 12:59 PM
in reply to: #1865602

User image

Master
Thanks for the pointers to Jorge's program. I have been spending every free minute reading the thread, thinking about workouts, etc. I am going to give the plan a try, starting today. I'm not feeling 100% so hopefully I won't kill myself too badly (sounds like the first two workouts were pretty killer for most everyone) and will really listen to my body and RPE.

On the weight challenge... I am at a good place, but being a typical woman with negative body self-images, I always want to weigh less. I was 132 on Friday and would be happy to get through the holidays in that range. I fluctuate bewteen 131 and 135. Happy to do weekly weight-postings. I have a major sweet-tooth and don't deny myself things I want to eat -- it's one reason I work out as much as I do!! But I tend to eat very sensibly in general...

Still lots of snow for us here in western WA, but our "big storm" never came to be, so we are happy to have power. Happy training everyone!
2008-12-21 2:27 PM

User image

Master
Lafayette, IN

I will continue riding the trainer every other day during the holidays and running as weather allows.  I can run in most anything but today is 25-35mph winds and a -20 windchill so this is one of those days when I won't run!

My weight is okay.  I lost 10 pounds last year training for Steelhead.  I would like to lose some of my gut though.  I have 6-pack abs.  They're just hidden under a couple inches of fat!

I will weight train 2x next week, probably Tuesday or Wednesday and Friday.

Will swim tomorrow if weather is as forecasted -15 wind chill again.

I can't believe how much this mentor group is motivating me.  I really don't want you to check my logs and see I haven't done anything!  This is great!

I wish you all a Merry Christmas and Happy New Year with goals being acheived and PR's being broken in 2009!

Edited by Gregkl 2008-12-21 2:29 PM
2008-12-21 2:56 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Southeastern Michigan

I am SCARED to weigh myself! I weighed 157 lbs last time I weighed in (on Dec 1st).  I was in the 130s this summer when I got injured and started feeling sorry for myself...I would love to get back to where I was.  I was lean and strong and looked very athletic.  Now I feel slow and mushy.

I never stopped training but started over eating really bad this fall.  

I will weigh myself tomorrow or Friday...

I have family get togethers every day starting tomorrow.  Today I made sugar cookies with my children.  I already ate three of them!!  It will all be over on Dec 26th.

Background info: I weighed over 220 pounds when I was married.  I gained a lot of weight when I had my third child and was quite unhappy.  Scary stuff!

I am spending the afternoon looking at my training plan for 2009.  I am going to break it into parts.  The first section will be training for the Martian Half Marathon.  I figure it will be the perfect time to drop these extra pounds.

Edited by Bronwyn1968 2008-12-21 2:59 PM
2008-12-21 4:20 PM
in reply to: #1865872

User image

Montana

kkcbelle - 2008-12-21 11:59 AM  I'm Thanks for the pointers to Jorge's program. I have been spending every free minute reading the thread, thinking about workouts, etc. I am going to give the plan a try, starting today. not feeling 100% so hopefully I won't kill myself too badly (sounds like the first two workouts were pretty killer for most everyone) and will really listen to my body and RPE. On the weight challenge... I am at a good place, but being a typical woman with negative body self-images, I always want to weigh less. I was 132 on Friday and would be happy to get through the holidays in that range. I fluctuate bewteen 131 and 135. Happy to do weekly weight-postings. I have a major sweet-tooth and don't deny myself things I want to eat -- it's one reason I work out as much as I do!! But I tend to eat very sensibly in general... Still lots of snow for us here in western WA, but our "big storm" never came to be, so we are happy to have power. Happy training everyone!

I too appreciate all the pointers to Jorge's program and will be attempting week 1 starting tomorrow. Maybe we can work each other through it! How was the first day?

I look forward to participating in the weight challenge also, although I probably don't need to lose much. I agree it's hard to be content with where you are, especially as a female! I'm currently 110.8 and would feel good being somewhere between 105-108 and more toned. I'd like to focus on healthy eating and drinking lots more water than I normally do.

Edited by hollybushellehill 2008-12-21 4:21 PM
2008-12-21 4:22 PM

User image

Montana
apparently, i don't know how to use the highlight function correctly... apologies.

2008-12-21 4:36 PM

User image

Expert

It looks like several people are using Jorges cycling program. I'll start week one tonight (or tomorrow if time gets away from me today.)with every one else who is starting it. It might be difficult for me, because I don't have a HRM or cycle computer-yet. So, I'll have to see how athers are doing it.

Kellie- is there a cycling program that you are following?

2008-12-21 4:55 PM
in reply to: #1866111

User image

Expert
Shelby Twp
slow turtle - 2008-12-21 4:36 PM

It looks like several people are using Jorges cycling program. I'll start week one tonight (or tomorrow if time gets away from me today.)with every one else who is starting it. It might be difficult for me, because I don't have a HRM or cycle computer-yet. So, I'll have to see how athers are doing it.

I have a coach, so I follow the plan him and I have laid out.

If you have a specific plan that your following for a specific race right now, I would say stick to that, but if not, Ive looked at Jorges plan and they are good!

2008-12-21 5:26 PM

User image

Montana
slow turtle - 2008-12-21 3:36 PM

I just loaded this weeks cycling workouts into my Garmin, I've never used it in this capacity yet, only use if for measuring distance when running or biking.  It'll be interesting to see if it actually works! Heidi, I'm sure you'll get by just fine using RPE, however if you're looking for a great HRM with tons of other great features, you might consider asking santa for a Garmin Forerunner. I don't know what I'd do without mine! You can set up workouts so that it will beep at each interval and keep you in check if your not meeting your HR target.

2008-12-21 6:28 PM
in reply to: #1866205

User image

Master
hollybushellehill - 2008-12-21 5:26 PM

slow turtle - 2008-12-21 3:36 PM

I just loaded this weeks cycling workouts into my Garmin, I've never used it in this capacity yet, only use if for measuring distance when running or biking.  It'll be interesting to see if it actually works! Heidi, I'm sure you'll get by just fine using RPE, however if you're looking for a great HRM with tons of other great features, you might consider asking santa for a Garmin Forerunner. I don't know what I'd do without mine! You can set up workouts so that it will beep at each interval and keep you in check if your not meeting your HR target.

Read through Jorge's thread... you can skim many of the posts, so it goes quickly (I'm on page 16 of 25). The first workout is on page 6 or 7. He talks a lot about RPE and doesn't even do a HR test until the 3rd week, so that is a good way to go. I totally did RPE today, but wore my HR monitor. I usually wear it only at the gym for spin class (all bikes have Pilots so show HR, etc.), but that gave me an idea of my ballparks in terms of efforts.

I am getting a 305 for Christmas. Well, maybe I'm not, but if I don't I have actually already purchased 2 of 'em (couldn't resist Costco price, then REI had the multisport version so I got that one too!)... I just can't break 'em out until I've given my hubby a chance to get me one for Christmas (didn't ask for it, as that's against his "rules," but tried to drop timely hints). I'm thinking I'll give my hubby one for his bday on 12/28. Sneaky moi.

But I digress... the first workout was good. Hard but not un-doable. Love the idea of loading it into the Garmin, but tracking it on my watch wasn't so bad. I had my Timex watch and my HR watch both attached to my handlebars, MP3 on my hip, headphones in my ears...

I plan to do the next workout of week #1 on Tuesday, then #3 on Thursday (hope! Christmas, so all bets are off!)...

And as for next week: I usually do a body shop class on Tu/Th (30' spin/30' weights/core), and my gym is great about spin classes being cycling-oriented, not just "fru fru" spinning. However, on Tu I may try to swim instead of spin and pick up the class after that, and do the Jorge workout later. Mon/Wed I'd like to run, although tomorrow we have another snow day so kids home and hubby at work. We'll see how Th/Fri go...!!
2008-12-21 9:03 PM
in reply to: #1865576

User image

Extreme Veteran
Albany, NY
slow turtle - 2008-12-21 7:31 AM

Zee-Yours sonds much worse than mine! I can just go to the edges! Where in Upstate NY are you? I'm in the Albany area...and the weather guy says 6-10 more inches today!

-Heidi

I'm two hours north of Albany. Just outside of Plattsburgh. I'm about 40 minuts from Lake Placid. We got about 10inches so far, and its still coming!! Did about 3 1/2 hours of shoveling from Friday night until now.

Since I mentioned Lake Placid...is anyone planning on doing IM LP either this year or in the next few? How about heading this way for some training??

2008-12-22 10:12 AM
in reply to: #1860948

User image

Expert
slow turtle - 2008-12-18 11:16 AM

Goals for this weekend!

Tonite(Thurs)-I'm hoping to get back in the pool after a long absence from it. My swimming technique is non existant, so I'm working on breathing correctly. I'm going to try an interval plan that Max Performance posted in their news letter. it's a ladder of 50-100-200-400-200-100-50. This will be ambitious for me right now.

Friday-35 minutes on the bike trainer. Which is a 5 minute increase.

Sat- 40 minute abs focused Pilates video.

Sun-Rest.

That didn't go as planned. I never made it to the pool all weekend, due to nonstop snow.I did get the other workouts in, but not necessarily in the order I planned. Also, I got an hour of snow shoveling in to make up (a little) for the missed swim.

Workout plans for the week. I'm torn between 2 options:

I'm looking at the 20 week olympic training plan under the bronze membership. But is it too early in the season to look at that?

The other option is to focus on Jorges bike program, with some swimming, pilates, and minimal running for the next 3 months.

Either way, I'm going to the pool between work and shopping tonite.

Can anyone make recommendations for which plan might be the best option?

2008-12-22 11:36 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Southeastern Michigan

Heidi - I am doing a winter base program until my 12 week sprint program starts.  It looks good to me.  I kinda combine things as I go...I put the 1/2 marathon training plan with it also.  I wrote up my weight lifting schedule for the next few months (I am really into lifting and have recently cut back to accommodate the tri training). 

My week:

Monday: REST (we are having xmas today at my house and the turkey was still frozen so I couldn't leave and go swimming! The holidays are killing my training!)  I should of hopped on the trainer...so my excuses are lame!  Maybe I can hop on it about 11pm tonight when everyone goes home...

Tuesday: weights/speedwork on treadmill/swim with the kid/bike 45 min (long training day...)

Wednesday: weights/run 3 miles

Thursday: bike 45 min

Friday: weights/swim

Saturday: weights/run 4 miles/bike for an hour

Sunday: run 7 miles

The exciting thing: my mom is getting me aerobars and a new bike seat and a forward seatpost for xmas!  So my bike will be in better shape after this week...she is also giving me a size 4 tri suit!  It fit me when I picked it out! I would probably bust the seams on it right now! GRRRR! 

All my family leave xmas day.  I will have some peace and quiet to focus on eating well and training after that.

2008-12-22 11:41 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Albany, NY

No set plans for the week. Just going to do something each day until 30 wk Ironfit starts 1/5 (well technically 12/29 but I'll be out of town that week).

Gonna get a swim in today and tomorrow at least with prob a run today and lift tomorrow. Then probably gonna stick to the trainer until Friday at the earliest when I can get back to the gym for another swim and lift/run on Friday or Saturday.

Any weightloss goal for the week would be unrealistic, so I'll just try to maintain. Gonna weigh in today and Friday, Saturday, or Monday, which ever day I feel the lightest!! Laughing

Edited by zee744 2008-12-22 11:45 AM
2008-12-22 1:46 PM

User image

Master
Lafayette, IN
slow turtle - 2008-12-21 4:36 PM

If you don't have either, you can use RPE.  Jorge has corresponding RPE and how it should feel for the workouts.  In a way, RPE is better than HR since it is instantaneous while HR takes awhile to adjust.

2008-12-22 1:51 PM
in reply to: #1866279

User image

Master
Lafayette, IN

I had my Timex watch and my HR watch both attached to my handlebars, MP3 on my hip, headphones in my ears...

Too funny!  I was sitting on my bike on the training doing a workout thinking about how me, a minimalist had a HRM on, my bike computer was on and it records HR also, plus another cycle computer that takes MPH off the rear wheel so I would have that, and finally my ipod.  Sometimes I am more wired up than a NASA shuttle launch!

Edited by Gregkl 2008-12-22 1:52 PM

2008-12-22 1:53 PM
in reply to: #1866509

User image

Master
Lafayette, IN
zee744 - 2008-12-21 9:03 PM
slow turtle - 2008-12-21 7:31 AM

-Heidi

I'm two hours north of Albany. Just outside of Plattsburgh. I'm about 40 minuts from Lake Placid. We got about 10inches so far, and its still coming!! Did about 3 1/2 hours of shoveling from Friday night until now.

Since I mentioned Lake Placid...is anyone planning on doing IM LP either this year or in the next few? How about heading this way for some training??

Lake Placid is on my list of possible IM in 2010.  That along with WI, FL, or ugh Kentucky.

2008-12-23 7:43 AM

User image

Expert
Shelby Twp

HEY GUYS!    Hopefully everyone is either on break or will be shortly!

Im off after today for 1.5 weeks, it will be a nice break.  I work for General Motors, so if you all own a tv, you know why the break will be nice! 

I wanted to suggest a book I just read... Paleo Diet for Athletes.  If any of you are looking for a common sense approach to diet as a athlete, this is pretty good I have to say.  Ive done alot of research into food an diet, and training, etc, and so far I think that Paleo Diet for Athletes is one of the best out there.  Diet is a harsh word for it... its a way of eating, and thats about it.  It also heavily focuses on TIMING of nutrition, when to eat higher glycemic index foods, when to focus on food for recovery, food during workout, etc.   They explain everything and it makes a lot of sense.  Im starting to change towards this way of eating (its hard to completely change of course). 

Anyways, just a suggestion if your looking for some reading over the holidays to kick off your training for 2010!

2008-12-23 8:05 AM
in reply to: #1869001

User image

Expert
kellc09 - 2008-12-23 8:43 AM

HEY GUYS!    Hopefully everyone is either on break or will be shortly!

Im off after today for 1.5 weeks, it will be a nice break.  I work for General Motors, so if you all own a tv, you know why the break will be nice! 

I wanted to suggest a book I just read... Paleo Diet for Athletes.  If any of you are looking for a common sense approach to diet as a athlete, this is pretty good I have to say.  Ive done alot of research into food an diet, and training, etc, and so far I think that Paleo Diet for Athletes is one of the best out there.  Diet is a harsh word for it... its a way of eating, and thats about it.  It also heavily focuses on TIMING of nutrition, when to eat higher glycemic index foods, when to focus on food for recovery, food during workout, etc.   They explain everything and it makes a lot of sense.  Im starting to change towards this way of eating (its hard to completely change of course). 

Anyways, just a suggestion if your looking for some reading over the holidays to kick off your training for 2010!

Sounds like a great Christmas gift.

2008-12-23 8:06 AM

User image

Expert
Shelby Twp
Boy did I get ahead of myself.. that should have been 2009!! not 2010!  haha.  I mean, Im sure it will be useful in 2010 to, but gota get through 09 first!
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » kellc09's Mentor group - CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 30