BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Enders_Shadow's group - FULL for now Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 16

2008-12-29 6:57 AM
in reply to: #1874882

User image

Champion
Out running or enjoying a fine glass of red...
Subject: RE: Enders_Shadow's group - FULL for now
bwoglom - 2008-12-28 8:40 PM

My January goals:

1. Get back to eating well. (I start working with a nutritionist on the 8th for 8 weeks to give me the kick in the butt that I need.)

2. Run 3x a week, with a goal of running the Olathe half marathon at end of March.

3. Ride on my trainer 3x a week, working up to a 2hr long ride on the weekend

Excellent goals! I work with a nutritionist too - it has helped me streamline things...I know what to do, but she's helped me do it better.

Are you following a plan for the half mary?

2008-12-29 8:23 AM
in reply to: #1875435

User image

Regular
enders_shadow - 2008-12-29 6:57 AM

Excellent goals! I work with a nutritionist too - it has helped me streamline things...I know what to do, but she's helped me do it better.

Are you following a plan for the half mary?

I follow a simple plan which is basically run 3-4 miles 2x during the week and a long run on the weekend. Right now my knees don't allow me to run more than 3x a week, so I supplement my running with biking to build up my endurance.

It has worked for me twice before, although neither time did I run the race pain free, so we'll see.
2008-12-29 10:32 AM
in reply to: #1875521

User image

Syracuse, NY

bwoglom - 2008-12-29 9:23 AM
enders_shadow - 2008-12-29 6:57 AM Excellent goals! I work with a nutritionist too - it has helped me streamline things...I know what to do, but she's helped me do it better. Are you following a plan for the half mary?
I follow a simple plan which is basically run 3-4 miles 2x during the week and a long run on the weekend. Right now my knees don't allow me to run more than 3x a week, so I supplement my running with biking to build up my endurance. It has worked for me twice before, although neither time did I run the race pain free, so we'll see.

That's exactly the kind of plan I want to use! I want to run the Ottawa half in May, but haven't been able to find a plan that's what I'm looking for. I'm thinking I might do it on my own, but haven't decided if that would be foolish.

2008-12-29 1:14 PM
in reply to: #1875765

User image

Regular
hoofchick - 2008-12-29 10:32 AM

QUOTE]

That's exactly the kind of plan I want to use! I want to run the Ottawa half in May, but haven't been able to find a plan that's what I'm looking for. I'm thinking I might do it on my own, but haven't decided if that would be foolish.

I have a book at home that I base it on. Can't remember the name off hand, but I will get it for you tonight. I tweak the plan based on the fact that I am riding my bike as well, but try to follow the pattern of the long runs.
2008-12-29 1:29 PM
in reply to: #1856410

User image

Champion
BTW - your baby avatar is adorable! What a cutie!
2008-12-29 1:36 PM

User image

Champion
Here are my eating rules for January (actually, I started on Saturday...I'm an over-achiever like that!):

1. No junk food.
2. No more than 3 diet Pepsi's a day. Less is better.
3. Eat veggies at every lunch and dinner - even if it's just salsa or carrot sticks.
4. Keep calories in the range of 1800-2000. I can go over 2000 (max 2200) if I run more than 5 miles.
5. One cheat meal per week, but NO french fries. EVER.

2008-12-29 7:44 PM

User image

Expert

Hi Everyone!  I'm still recovering from my week on service- it was a doozy.  I don't think I'll volunteer for Christmas week anytime again soon.  I need to think about my goals when I'm a little more awake- even last night they were paging me all night long.  I finished at 8am today, and got my last page at 7:45!  RSV is in full swing up here, and it is BAD news this year. 

Everyone's goals look great!  I am also curious about Jillian's plan- I love her on the Biggest Loser (between commercials), and think she'd be a great trainer. 

I will do some sort of exercise tomorrow!

2008-12-29 8:10 PM
in reply to: #1876699

User image

Champion
momandmd - 2008-12-29 8:44 PM

Hi Everyone!  I'm still recovering from my week on service- it was a doozy.  I don't think I'll volunteer for Christmas week anytime again soon.  I need to think about my goals when I'm a little more awake- even last night they were paging me all night long.  I finished at 8am today, and got my last page at 7:45!  RSV is in full swing up here, and it is BAD news this year. 

Everyone's goals look great!  I am also curious about Jillian's plan- I love her on the Biggest Loser (between commercials), and think she'd be a great trainer. 

I will do some sort of exercise tomorrow!

Get some rest! RSV is wicked - my nephew had a brush with that and it was not good. Glad you're taking care of all those beautiful kids (and the ugly ones too!)
2008-12-29 10:03 PM

User image

Syracuse, NY

Hi, guys!

What is RSV? If it's in Rochester, it's got to be in Syracuse soon, right?

Goals for 2009? Hmmm... Well, I was doing super up until Christmas week - losing weight and getting stronger. So, I want to get back into that mode to start:

FITNESS - Since Oct 1, '08, been doing 30-90 minutes of cardio 6 days a week. Keep this the same and in January, add some core and stretching twice a week. In February, add some lower body strength work. In March, add upper body strength work. Start swimming lessons in Jan. Maintain my riding 4-5 times a week. For this year, aside from showing my mare, I want to do a half-marathon (maybe Ottawa in May) and at least two sprint tris (Green Lakes and at least one other. Can't do Caz b/c it's the same day as a horse show. Would like to do one in July or Aug plus the Skaneatelas in Sept).

NUTRITION - Religiously follow WW, not eating any activity points. No changes. This was working great.

LIFE - Vow to do at least one hour of housework every week. Sounds bogus? It'll be 50 more hours of housework a year than I'm doing now! Try to be more helpful around the house - picking up the kitchen, bringing firewood in, shoveling the sidewalk. DH works full time, has a small side business, is working on his degree and has custody of DSS, he could use a bit more help than I've been giving him. Try to give the puppy more daily exercise. Maybe get up earlier to play with her?

Sounds like minor changes, but they'll take some time management to incorporate

2008-12-30 8:09 AM
in reply to: #1875765

User image

Regular
hoofchick - 2008-12-29 10:32 AM

Hoofchick,

The book is called The Marathon Method, by Tom Holland. The overall book is not groundbreaking or anything, but there are several training plans in the back for Half and Full Marathons. I based my training on the beginner half marathon plan. I think the longest run is 11 miles.

2008-12-30 8:20 AM

User image

Champion
Thanks for the book recommendation - I might check that out too - I'm not totally sold on my mary program (and I'm still pretty far out, so I can change things up).

2008-12-30 8:23 AM

User image

Champion
RSV = respiratory syntical (or something like that) virus

MomandMD can probably answer it better - it starts kind of like a cold, but in babies and the elderly it can get out of hand to pneumonia, bronchitis, and worse. Preemies can get really hit by it. And its super-duper contagious.
2008-12-30 12:50 PM
in reply to: #1877439

User image

Expert

Yep- Kristen has it (at least close- it's respiratory syncytial virus- a pain to spell as well as have!).  It causes lower airway inflammation, and in little kids with small airways it can be really bad (intubation even sometimes).  There's no treatment, and no vaccine (we can give a monoclonal antibody to high risk kids, but it has to be given monthly, doesn't work that well, and costs $1000 a shot).

And I'm sure it's in Syracuse, too!

My goals...

We are going through some challenging times right now- my husband's company is on the verge of closing (he owns his own firm- not a great time to be in finance).  But we don't know yet when or if it will happen, so I have to just keep moving forward, but not really knowing where we are going to.  Fortunately my job is pretty secure, so I'm not worried long term, but it would mean a big change in our lifestyle, moving etc.  I actually would be relieved in some ways if it failed- he can move on and do other things, and I'm mentally prepared to forge ahead.  I just can't do that until the engame plays itself out.

So my goals have to be things that will apply regardless of where we are. 

1)  I want to be stronger.  To get there, my goal will be to have at least two strength workouts every week.  The gym at work will help with that.

2)  I want to be faster (especially in triathlons).  To get there, my goal will be to work on my base for all three sports starting this winter.  So I will do at least one swim, bike, and run each week, and try for 2 runs.

3)  I want to be leaner- my weight is actually OK, but my BF on the tanita is high.  I've always thought this was an error in the machine, but then I read about how there are people who are normal weight, but have too much fat mass.  I know my belly, and I think I am one of them.  So my goal (besides those above), is to eat healthily:  at least 5 fruits or vegetables a day, limit portion size, limit mindless snacking.

4)  My husband and I have both been talking about getting back to basics- taking walks with the kids and dogs, focusing less on money and possesions, and more on people and relationships.  My goal is to spend less money, and spend more time.  Time I have in abundance, because there is always more that comes each day (money, not so much!).

Karen

2008-12-30 2:56 PM

User image

Regular
MomandMD,

Sorry to hear about your husband's business, I hope everything works out for the best.

On a separate topic, does anyone have recommendations for a good set of headphones for running? My ipod headphones do not stay in my ears when I run and if I am going to do some treadmill running I need some music or I am going to die of boredom.

Thanks!
2008-12-30 3:27 PM
in reply to: #1878230

User image

Master
Pacific Northwest

bwoglom - 2008-12-30 On a separate topic, does anyone have recommendations for a good set of headphones for running? My ipod headphones do not stay in my ears when I run and if I am going to do some treadmill running I need some music or I am going to die of boredom. Thanks!

I got these for Christmas and I really like them.  I can't keep regular ear buds in my ears for the life of me.  These are better with a headband for extra security, but so far I am really liking them A LOT!

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00005N6KG

2008-12-30 7:25 PM

User image

Champion
Good goals, Karen - and I'm sorry to hear about your husband's business...I hope that it all works out for the best for you and your family.

(I want to get faster too!)

2008-12-30 7:28 PM

User image

Champion
Well that's good news - I thought I was the only one who couldn't keep my iPod earbuds in my ears!

I have a cheap pair from the drugstore that look like old fashioned hearing-aids (individual over-the-back-of-the-ear ones...). Those seem to work well for me - I've been using the same pair for about a year now with no complaints.
2008-12-30 7:28 PM

User image

Champion
Like this:

2008-12-30 7:33 PM

User image

Champion
So what do you do to keep from dying of boredom on the treadmill?

I totally rely on my iPod...although one of the Y's I can go to also has individual TV's on each treadmill. (I'm lame - I usually watch the food network and keep my ipod playing music).

I also play mind games/running games on the treadmill - like iPod fartlek (just in case you are unfamiliar with "fartlek" - it's not as smelly as it sounds - it's basically informal intervals)...I put a playlist on shuffle and then I run one speed for most of each song and jack up the speed for the last minute of each song. When I get a bunch of 3 minute songs in a row, it's quite a workout - and then I get a 6 minute song and get a break...I've done the same thing with the incline (rather than the speed) too.

Do you treadmill at the gym or at home? I can't figure out which I'd like more - plopping my treadmill in front of a TV or watching other folks at the gym. (I'm more likely to run outside, myself, but I've been using the treadmill at the gym to get some hills in.)
2008-12-30 8:32 PM
in reply to: #1878680

User image

Regular
enders_shadow - 2008-12-30 7:33 PM

So what do you do to keep from dying of boredom on the treadmill?

I totally rely on my iPod...although one of the Y's I can go to also has individual TV's on each treadmill. (I'm lame - I usually watch the food network and keep my ipod playing music).

I also play mind games/running games on the treadmill - like iPod fartlek (just in case you are unfamiliar with "fartlek" - it's not as smelly as it sounds - it's basically informal intervals)...I put a playlist on shuffle and then I run one speed for most of each song and jack up the speed for the last minute of each song. When I get a bunch of 3 minute songs in a row, it's quite a workout - and then I get a 6 minute song and get a break...I've done the same thing with the incline (rather than the speed) too.

Do you treadmill at the gym or at home? I can't figure out which I'd like more - plopping my treadmill in front of a TV or watching other folks at the gym. (I'm more likely to run outside, myself, but I've been using the treadmill at the gym to get some hills in.)

I use the treadmill at the gym at work. There are tv's in front on the treadmills, but the volume is off and I can't read the cc without my glasses, so not too helpful.

I usually run outside when home or at the gym near my home which has an indoor track which is not great, but better than the treadmill.

I sometimes do intervals, but I need to get some miles in right now.

Thank you both for the headphone suggestions.

Have a good night
2008-12-31 8:35 AM

User image

Champion
Happy New Year's Eve, everyone! Be safe!

2008-12-31 10:18 AM

User image

Expert

Thanks everyone, for the kind thoughts!  I do realize that whatever we are going through, we are so much more fortunate than many.

Have a happy and safe New Year's everyone! 

2008-12-31 3:11 PM

User image

Syracuse, NY

Happy New Year's, everybody!

Hey, while I have your ears... is there some secret to making swim goggles waterproof? I got new ones for Christmas and I tried them out today and they kept getting water in them. I tried smooshing them to my face and that helped some. Is that what I'm supposed to do? Smoosh harder?

2008-12-31 3:14 PM

User image

Elite
Renton, Washington
Happy New Year everyone!  I will be back after New Year with goals etc.  Hope everyone has a blast and stays safe!!!
2008-12-31 3:27 PM
in reply to: #1880263

User image

Champion
hoofchick - 2008-12-31 4:11 PM

Happy New Year's, everybody!

Hey, while I have your ears... is there some secret to making swim goggles waterproof? I got new ones for Christmas and I tried them out today and they kept getting water in them. I tried smooshing them to my face and that helped some. Is that what I'm supposed to do? Smoosh harder?

Smooshing them to your face will help some...but then you'll end up with raccoon eyes. (I look terrible for hours after I swim!)

I hate to say this, but your best move may be trying another pair. I had to try out a couple of pairs before I found a set that actually worked for my face. See if you can take them back - if they came from a swim shop or a sports store, tell them where the water got in and ask them for suggestions.
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Enders_Shadow's group - FULL for now Rss Feed  

of 16