Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 29

2009-01-05 11:34 AM
in reply to: #1859832

User image

Master
Dunedin
Subject: RE: kenj group - Closed

Hey folks, today I'm off from work and have a million things to do!  

I think my challenge will be keeping my body from falling apart.  My left shoulder has been bugging me for about 2 weeks and my knees are acting up more than usual.  All the aches and pains are making it hard to fall asleep at night and I'm in the prep phase of training!!!  

My husband is in medicine and is giving me advice, but I think when I get health insurance (soon hopefully!) I'm going to ask a PCP about a prescription pain med.  My stomach isn't liking all the Aleve and I can't ice as often/as long as I'd like/need to.

2009-01-05 12:52 PM
in reply to: #1886863

User image

Pro
Canandaigua NY
WittyCityGirl - 2009-01-05 12:34 PM

Hey folks, today I'm off from work and have a million things to do!  

I think my challenge will be keeping my body from falling apart.  My left shoulder has been bugging me for about 2 weeks and my knees are acting up more than usual.  All the aches and pains are making it hard to fall asleep at night and I'm in the prep phase of training!!!  

My husband is in medicine and is giving me advice, but I think when I get health insurance (soon hopefully!) I'm going to ask a PCP about a prescription pain med.  My stomach isn't liking all the Aleve and I can't ice as often/as long as I'd like/need to.

Don't be afraid to back the training down for a day or 2, or even a week to heal up.  Eliptical or water running is an option to give the knees a break if you do not want to stop altogether.  Remember, it is only January and it is better to let nagging injuries heal then make things worse by trying to train through them.
2009-01-05 6:04 PM
in reply to: #1884428

User image

Veteran
Northwest Arkansas

kenj - 2009-01-03 4:14 PM

With your bike experience I would suggest looking at either the run or swim focused plans - There are 16 week or 20 week plans.  I would suggest a 20 week plan and spend the time between now and the planned start date working on getting your swim and run volume up to the level of the first couple of weeks.  These plans do not start out real intense so you are probably already close, if not beyond those levels now.

I've looked over the Olympic Run Focused 20 Week plan and think that might be a good choice for me.  I won't have any problem with the bike or the run at startup, but the swimming - ????.   A June 21 race date puts me starting the plan around the end of February, so I'd have two months to get up to speed.  I would probably start the program a week early since I know I'll have some days off for other bicycling events.  That still gives me almost two months to focus on swimming and strength training to get ready for the program.  How does that sound?

also...   when I preview the plan all it shows is xx minutes per day per discipline.  When I import it does it have more information (intervals, effort, etc.)?

Edited by snaproll 2009-01-05 6:55 PM
2009-01-06 4:25 AM
in reply to: #1887847

User image

Pro
Canandaigua NY
snaproll - 2009-01-05 7:04 PM

kenj - 2009-01-03 4:14 PM

With your bike experience I would suggest looking at either the run or swim focused plans - There are 16 week or 20 week plans.  I would suggest a 20 week plan and spend the time between now and the planned start date working on getting your swim and run volume up to the level of the first couple of weeks.  These plans do not start out real intense so you are probably already close, if not beyond those levels now.

I've looked over the Olympic Run Focused 20 Week plan and think that might be a good choice for me.  I won't have any problem with the bike or the run at startup, but the swimming - ????.   A June 21 race date puts me starting the plan around the end of February, so I'd have two months to get up to speed.  I would probably start the program a week early since I know I'll have some days off for other bicycling events.  That still gives me almost two months to focus on swimming and strength training to get ready for the program.  How does that sound?

also...   when I preview the plan all it shows is xx minutes per day per discipline.  When I import it does it have more information (intervals, effort, etc.)?

Unfortunately what you see in the 2 week preview is what you get, for the most part.  If you read the plan preview you can get some of the logic behind it, but in a nutshell; most of the plans at the bronze level are for relative rookies to the sport.  They are designed to get you to the finish line safely.  Thus they are strictly volume oriented.  The assumption is that all of the workouts will be done at a safe Z1/Z2 if you train by heart rate or at a conversational level.  

2009-01-06 8:07 AM

User image

Champion
SRQ, FL

Hey guys just checking in.  A bit of an update.  For the last 2-3 weeks I have been having this BAD pain in my glute and upper hamstring.  Thought at first it might be a pull but have now discovered it's a pinched sciatic nerve.  Nothing will make you feel old than saying the term "sciatica"

It does not hurt when I run so went out for a 3 miler the other day (just to test the waters) and everything seemed OK.  Until the next day... OMG what pain.

After going to the chiro yesterday it's a little better.  I'll be fine for 80% of the time then I'll shift the wrong way (or when I get up from a seated position) it just screams and shoots down my entire leg.

If the chiro does not help over the next week I'm going to see the PT that solved my IT band issues to see what she can do.  Of course being up all night in the lazy-boy with a 4 week old infant is not helping issues any

In the mean time I feel kind of stuck.  I want to run but know I need to heal.  Have not tried swimming in a couple of weeks so maybe that won't hurt as much.

One a related note I and a few frineds are doing the 100 pushu ps challenge.  Looks like fun...

http://hundredpushups.com/

Edited by TriRSquared 2009-01-06 8:07 AM
2009-01-06 8:42 AM
in reply to: #1888818

User image

Pro
Canandaigua NY
TriRSquared - 2009-01-06 9:07 AM

Hey guys just checking in.  A bit of an update.  For the last 2-3 weeks I have been having this BAD pain in my glute and upper hamstring.  Thought at first it might be a pull but have now discovered it's a pinched sciatic nerve.  Nothing will make you feel old than saying the term "sciatica"

It does not hurt when I run so went out for a 3 miler the other day (just to test the waters) and everything seemed OK.  Until the next day... OMG what pain.

After going to the chiro yesterday it's a little better.  I'll be fine for 80% of the time then I'll shift the wrong way (or when I get up from a seated position) it just screams and shoots down my entire leg.

If the chiro does not help over the next week I'm going to see the PT that solved my IT band issues to see what she can do.  Of course being up all night in the lazy-boy with a 4 week old infant is not helping issues any

In the mean time I feel kind of stuck.  I want to run but know I need to heal.  Have not tried swimming in a couple of weeks so maybe that won't hurt as much.

One a related note I and a few frineds are doing the 100 pushu ps challenge.  Looks like fun...

Good to hear from you! I was getting worried we had lost you!  I know with pinched nerve issues it is a frustrating and at times painfull experience.  I know when I had a pinched nerve in the neck, I did better with the PT folks than the Chiro so I wouldn't wait too long if it doesn't improve.

Do what you can, when you can and we'll be here to help you through it.

2009-01-06 8:52 AM

User image

Veteran
Northwest Arkansas
TriRSquared - 2009-01-06 8:07 AM

One of the very few advantages of not being teenager anymore is the wisdom to know when to back off a bit.  Go get some help and heal up, it's early in the year and you'll have plenty of time to train.  I lost eight weeks of cycling last year to hernia surgery so I know how frustrating it can be.  I also know it is a lot easier to give that advice than to take it. 

The push up challenge looks interesting.  I think I may do that.  Thanks for the link.

2009-01-06 9:05 AM

User image

Regular
TriRSquared - 2009-01-06 8:07 AM

Sorry to hear that -- sciatica is no fun. There are different causes, including a herniated disc, so it's good you're getting it checked out. One fairly common cause in athletes is tightness in the piriformis muscle or piriformis syndrome: http://www.thestretchinghandbook.com/archives/piriformis-syndrome.p...
http://mcr.coreconcepts.com.sg/piriformis-syndrome-sciatica/ . Your PT may work with you on some piriformis stretches. Good luck!
2009-01-06 10:28 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Middleville, MI

I saw that 100 pushup challenge thing on the challenge forum.  Even printed out the workouts and did the initial test.  Just never started doing the actual workouts.  Anyone else want to do it with me so I can have a little extra motivation to get started?  I need help as my initial test was a mighty 15. 

TriRSquared-Sorry to hear about your injury but at least with it being early January hopefully you will have plenty of time to heal up. 

Edited by CraigT 2009-01-06 10:29 AM
2009-01-06 11:17 AM

User image

Champion
SRQ, FL

Thanks guys...

I'm starting the pushups challenge today.  Did my inital a few days ago and it came in at 16-1/2

2009-01-06 2:21 PM

User image

Veteran
Houston
Good day all, its a cold 40 degrees in Houston. Brrr! For those of us with a HIM on the calendar? I imported the BT beginners program but also purchased Don Finks Ironfit book last year. It was recommended by a fellow athlete who used it for his first IM. It has beginner, Intermed and advanced training plans and a boat load of info about triathlon. Since this will be by first HIM, is one plan better than another as long as you are consistent with nailing the majority of the workouts?

2009-01-06 4:00 PM
in reply to: #1890023

User image

Pro
Canandaigua NY

wakehr - 2009-01-06 3:21 PM Good day all, its a cold 40 degrees in Houston. Brrr! For those of us with a HIM on the calendar? I imported the BT beginners program but also purchased Don Finks Ironfit book last year. It was recommended by a fellow athlete who used it for his first IM. It has beginner, Intermed and advanced training plans and a boat load of info about triathlon. Since this will be by first HIM, is one plan better than another as long as you are consistent with nailing the majority of the workouts?

40 degrees! That is shorts weather!

As far as which plan, that is somewhat of a personal choice.  I have heard of Ironfit, and read some great success stories of people training on his plans.  I think, if I am not mistaken, his plans tend to be season long plans (read longer) than the plans here.  But I beleive what he has done is taken a base building period prior to the race prep, which you could do here by tieing various plans together.

For us self coached atheletes, choosing a plan is similar to a coached athelete choosing a coach.  Whether from a book or online, these plans are generally written by qualified coaches and the plans reflect thier opinions and princeples on training.  Although I am currently using a plan outside of BT for the off season, I like the plans here and will use one of them for my A race again this year.  You need to access what your goals are for the race, what your available time for training is, and how long you can focus on a particular plan.  20 weeks on one plan versus 32 weeks is a big differance and can impact the quality of your training towards the end of the training plan, when you can least afford to lose the focus.  Once you are comfortable with these things, find a plan that matches the best.  One of the nice things about BT is the variety of the plans available, especially once you hit the silver level membership.  I have loaded plans, tried them for a week or so and replaced them with another because it just wasn't the right one for me.

Your last statement is the key to success regardless of which plan you choose.  No plan is worth the paper it is written on if you fail to follow it with consistancy.  Life is going to get in the way, whether it is family, work, or just recovering from sickness or injuries.  But, the closer you get to following the plan as written, the greater the chance of exceeding your expectations come race day!

2009-01-06 10:11 PM

User image

Master
Dunedin

Thanks for checking up on me after my little spill yesterday!  Nothing more than a bruised ego today (a city bus was going by as I was stumbling forward trying to right myself up).  I landed on my left hip and used my left hand to stop myself, so I'm impressed (and lucky) that I didn't have more issues today.

TOMORROW IS A DAY OFF. HURRAAAAAAAAAY!!!!!

I'm actually really happy with the past week of training using the BT free HIM program.  I LOVE that it uses RPE instead of distance.  I tend to push myself to get through the miles or the yardage, but now, at an RPE of 2 or 3, I find that I can focus a lot more on my form and recover with some vim and vigor after the workout. 

2009-01-06 10:16 PM

User image

Master
Dunedin
Feel free to send swimming and nutrition questions this way, too!  I am NOT a registered dietician, but I am one research methods class and thesis away from my MS in Nutrition.  I did a PowerPoint presentation on caffeine as an ergogenic aid... maybe I can figure out how to upload the presentation and/or the handout for you guys??  I also did a presentation on rhabdomyolysis. Definitely something to keep in mind for all athletes.  I did a short talk on nutrition for a DIII women's lax team, too.  I can check it out to see how helpful it'll be for you guys, but from what I recall I covered the female athlete triad, choosing unprocessed foods when possible and never going under 2,000 calories during the training season.  Not too helpful for you guys, but I'll see what I had in the handout for that. =)
2009-01-07 7:17 AM
in reply to: #1891212

User image

Champion
SRQ, FL

WittyCityGirl - 2009-01-06 11:16 PM Feel free to send swimming and nutrition questions this way, too!  I am NOT a registered dietician, but I am one research methods class and thesis away from my MS in Nutrition.

Any info on good diets (by diet I mean choices of food, not weight loss) would be appreciated. I find myself getting into ruts where I eat the same 5 or 6 things over and over.  Then your body goes into rejection mode and craves the bad stuff. 

I did a PowerPoint presentation on caffeine as an ergogenic aid... maybe I can figure out how to upload the presentation and/or the handout for you guys??

If it's too big to post here or you cannot figure it out let me know and I can host it on one of my servers.

2009-01-07 9:27 AM
in reply to: #1891212

User image

Pro
Canandaigua NY

WittyCityGirl - 2009-01-06 11:16 PM Feel free to send swimming and nutrition questions this way, too!  I am NOT a registered dietician, but I am one research methods class and thesis away from my MS in Nutrition.  I did a PowerPoint presentation on caffeine as an ergogenic aid... maybe I can figure out how to upload the presentation and/or the handout for you guys??  I also did a presentation on rhabdomyolysis. Definitely something to keep in mind for all athletes.  I did a short talk on nutrition for a DIII women's lax team, too.  I can check it out to see how helpful it'll be for you guys, but from what I recall I covered the female athlete triad, choosing unprocessed foods when possible and never going under 2,000 calories during the training season.  Not too helpful for you guys, but I'll see what I had in the handout for that. =)

That's nice of you to offer the help!  Nutrition can be a challenge (I know for me it is!).

2009-01-07 9:28 AM

User image

Pro
Canandaigua NY
How's everyone's training going so far this week?
2009-01-07 10:07 AM
in reply to: #1891827

User image

Veteran
Northwest Arkansas

kenj - 2009-01-07 9:28 AM How's everyone's training going so far this week?

Not bad so far.  I haven't been on the bicycle yet but hope to do that tonight on the trainer.  Friday may allow for some outdoor riding.  I've had a little bit of pain in my groin but it feels much better today, so I'll do some weight training but will probably minimize the squats.

I did the push up challenge initial test and plan to start on that on Friday.  Looks like a good way to increase upper body strength without spending too much time on it.  I've just got to figure out how to schedule it properly with the weight training and not over do.

On the swimming front...  I've joined a center that has a lap pool ($25 / year - not bad) and the trainer who did my V02 max testing is also a swim coach.  He's agreed to come up to the pool a couple of times to help get my initial form figured out.  I'm planning on doing that sometime next week.

I'll stay on the treadmill for several more days trying to get a faster pace planted in my head before I take to the roads again.  I've really gotten into just shuffling along out on the roads.  I don't see any reason I can't run a 10K in the 8's instead of the 10's. 

When do I start dropping weight and developing that six-pack set of abs?  I'm waiting......

2009-01-07 12:36 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Middleville, MI

Getting back into the routine after the cruise.  Managed to average 21 mph for a 30 minute ride on the trainer last night.  First few times on the trainer I was more in the 18s.  Running tonight and off to the pool tomorrow. 

I do have a quick question for the group.  I bought my tri bike in September.  Its a Giant Trinity and is all stock so far.  I am thinking about upgrading the wheels as I know the stock wheels are very heavy, 2000 grams+.  I have been looking at the Neuvation wheels as they seem to be a good value.  Anyone have any input?  I am not looking to spend a ton, maybe $300 range.  Thanks

2009-01-07 1:49 PM
in reply to: #1892502

User image

Veteran
Houston
CraigT - 2009-01-07 12:36 PM

Getting back into the routine after the cruise.  Managed to average 21 mph for a 30 minute ride on the trainer last night.  First few times on the trainer I was more in the 18s.  Running tonight and off to the pool tomorrow. 

I do have a quick question for the group.  I bought my tri bike in September.  Its a Giant Trinity and is all stock so far.  I am thinking about upgrading the wheels as I know the stock wheels are very heavy, 2000 grams+.  I have been looking at the Neuvation wheels as they seem to be a good value.  Anyone have any input?  I am not looking to spend a ton, maybe $300 range.  Thanks

No help here, I converted the Trek 1500 into a "tri-bike"; added aero bars, new forward seat post and shorter stem and bike fit. I'm always looking though, need a 60cm , great deal, pre-owned or new.

Edited by wakehr 2009-01-07 1:50 PM
2009-01-07 1:53 PM

User image

Veteran
Northwest Arkansas
CraigT - 2009-01-07 12:36 PM

Sorry, I'm no help either.  I'm just a lowly road bike guy riding Mavic Ksyrium.

2009-01-07 3:39 PM
in reply to: #1892001

User image

Pro
Canandaigua NY
snaproll - 2009-01-07 11:07 AM

kenj - 2009-01-07 9:28 AM How's everyone's training going so far this week?

Not bad so far.  I haven't been on the bicycle yet but hope to do that tonight on the trainer.  Friday may allow for some outdoor riding.  I've had a little bit of pain in my groin but it feels much better today, so I'll do some weight training but will probably minimize the squats.

I did the push up challenge initial test and plan to start on that on Friday.  Looks like a good way to increase upper body strength without spending too much time on it.  I've just got to figure out how to schedule it properly with the weight training and not over do.

On the swimming front...  I've joined a center that has a lap pool ($25 / year - not bad) and the trainer who did my V02 max testing is also a swim coach.  He's agreed to come up to the pool a couple of times to help get my initial form figured out.  I'm planning on doing that sometime next week.

I'll stay on the treadmill for several more days trying to get a faster pace planted in my head before I take to the roads again.  I've really gotten into just shuffling along out on the roads.  I don't see any reason I can't run a 10K in the 8's instead of the 10's. 

When do I start dropping weight and developing that six-pack set of abs?  I'm waiting......

Congrats on the pushup challenge! Great way to force yourself to do them!

Great job on the getting set up with a place to swim, but especially finding someone to evaluate your stroke!

I'm glad to hear I am not the only one that uses the t-mill to force the pace.  That is one of the things I like about my Garmin is the pace function. 

2009-01-07 3:44 PM
in reply to: #1893065

User image

Champion
SRQ, FL
kenj - 2009-01-07 4:39 PM

I'm glad to hear I am not the only one that uses the t-mill to force the pace.  That is one of the things I like about my Garmin is the pace function. 

I ALWAYS use the pace alarm on my Garmin.  It give sme that extra push when I start to get tired towards the end of the run.

2009-01-07 4:11 PM

User image

Pro
Canandaigua NY
CraigT - 2009-01-07 1:36 PM

I'm not familiar with that particular wheel.  I'm still riding the stock wheels that came on my Trek tri bike.  Although I would like to upgrade the wheels, I would rather wait and do it when I can add a power meter first or at the same time.  Besides, as far as weight savings goes, I have more to lose than my bike weighs so I figure I better work on that first!

If you want some feed back I would suggest posting the question in the gear review forum.  If anyone has had experience with them, you will get good feed back.  If the quality is good, it sounds like a decent price considering the number of $1000.00 plus wheel sets I see advertised!

2009-01-07 4:51 PM

User image

Pro
Canandaigua NY
CraigT - 2009-01-07 1:36 PM

I did a quick google for Neuvation Wheel Review and came up with this link:

http://www.roadbikereview.com/cat/wheels/wheelsets/neuvation-cycling/PRD_323658_2490crx.aspx

I don't know if it is the same model, but I am sure if it isn't you can do a search on it. I was curious to find out what they were all about.  It looks like they were mostly positive though!

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » kenj group - Closed Rss Feed  

of 29