BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Jungle Jenn's Jovial Mentor Group - CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 6

2009-01-23 9:16 AM
in reply to: #1923766

User image

Veteran
Subject: RE: Jungle Jenn's Jovial Mentor Group - CLOSED
annamariehope - 2009-01-22 7:47 PM

Bg D - Hmm, thinking bout what you posted about your knee. That could be my problem...not stretching enough maybe? I tend to just stretch before my warm-up and after my cool-down...but not on the rest days in between..maybe that's what the problem is? Undecided

I have never really stretched much, ever.  The advice I have gathered after this injury is never to stretch a cold muscle.  To slowly easy into it, maybe do a 5 minute walk before stretching.  I guess I will make sure I am active doing something before working out, just dont go from sitting on the couch.

2009-01-23 11:09 PM
in reply to: #1859975

User image

Veteran
I am back and I feel GREAT!!  Hit the pool tonight and had a blast.  I am pumped and ready to get back into the swing.  Hope everyone has a great weekend.  Of course, I missed the week of 70 and 80 degree weather.  Supposed to get back to freezing temps tonight (dropped 6 or 7 degrees on my 10 minute drive to the gym).
2009-01-24 8:54 AM
in reply to: #1926430

User image

Master
Loveland, Ohio

Big_D - 2009-01-24 12:09 AM I am back and I feel GREAT!!  Hit the pool tonight and had a blast.  I am pumped and ready to get back into the swing.  Hope everyone has a great weekend.  Of course, I missed the week of 70 and 80 degree weather.  Supposed to get back to freezing temps tonight (dropped 6 or 7 degrees on my 10 minute drive to the gym).

While the warm weather would've been nice, the great thing is your back.  Glad you had a great swim.

2009-01-24 9:01 AM

User image

Master
Loveland, Ohio

There's so much debate about whether stretching is even beneficial or not, but I've just always been a big stretcher.  It just comes from doing it when I was a kid w/ my majorette corp.  Now, I have read to warm up for a few minutes so you're not streching cold muscles, so I've been doing that now.

I just love stretching.  It feels great for me.

2009-01-24 12:34 PM
in reply to: #1926640

Bayside, NY
lkagop - 2009-01-24 10:01 AM

There's so much debate about whether stretching is even beneficial or not, but I've just always been a big stretcher.  It just comes from doing it when I was a kid w/ my majorette corp.  Now, I have read to warm up for a few minutes so you're not streching cold muscles, so I've been doing that now.

I just love stretching.  It feels great for me.

In much of the recent literature there is a correlation between decrease power output and stretching however not significantly. Stretching in my opinion is an optimal and necessary part of training.  Each day I treat patients who have significant dysfunctions due to increase tightness of musculature!  Therefore,  if we are planning on doing a 40 and being timed, i wouldn't stretch till afterwords otherwise stretching should be a part of daily activities

2009-01-24 4:02 PM

User image

Elite
HURRICANE, Utah
I too am a firm believer in stretching warm muscles.  I am guilty of not stretching enough and therefore I am subject to tight hip flexors and hamstrings.  Yoga is terrific but its tough for me cause I am such a hyper person and I have a hard time relaxing my mind. 

2009-01-25 3:28 PM

User image

Fontana

I used to do some yoga and i actually found the stretching the most pleasurable part of it. I'm thinking of getting hold of some DVD's and adding this to my routine on my off days to help keep my muscles supple in-between runs. I've read different things about the benefits of this, too - but i guess it all boils down to your body!

Good news is that i got back into walking finally - no running this week - managed to clock 5.6 miles on both Friday and Saturday and no sore feet or ankles, too.

Yay, for the return to form!

2009-01-27 2:09 PM

User image

Master
Loveland, Ohio
So, I got some Yaktrax yesterday.  I understand they're great for helping you keep from slipping and sliding when you run.  With 4 inches of snow on the sidewalks, are they pointless at this point?
2009-01-28 7:13 PM
in reply to: #1931957

Bayside, NY

lkagop - 2009-01-27 3:09 PM So, I got some Yaktrax yesterday.  I understand they're great for helping you keep from slipping and sliding when you run.  With 4 inches of snow on the sidewalks, are they pointless at this point?

I read in a magazine you can put some crews in the bottom on your sneakers make sure they aren't sneakers with an air cushion on the bottom. I haven't tried it yet, nor do I think I will because I am such a wuz when it comes to running outside in the cold..

How does everyone feel this week? I am having a hard time getting back into the groove of things since I was sick last week. I started swimming again which has been great but running, cycling and weight training are soooo farrr from my mind.....give me some inspirational words!!!

2009-01-29 9:07 AM

User image

Elite
HURRICANE, Utah
We've been snowed and iced in all week here in southern ohio.  I teach classes every morning and Weds evening but only had to teach on Monday this week.  Not that I am sad about getting to sleep in since schools has also been out all week.  As long as the electric stays on I'll get either a bike or treadmill in while watching Hancock with my son.  I cant believe we leave in two weeks for the Mrytle Beach marathon and 63 mile bike ride.  I have heard the party is awesome after the marathon so the 63 mile bike ride may get put on hold   I also only have 6 weeks until the 60k run....and to think it may be a little warmer by then too...yeah im ready for that.
Hoping to get the phone lines back up at work today so I can sell toys to people that want to use a debit or credit card

2009-02-02 10:42 AM

User image

Master
Loveland, Ohio

Hey, guys!  Happy Monday!  (OMGsh!  I'm one of those people who say that!  Eesh.)

The weather we had in Ohio last week just really dampened my training and my spirits.  The Y was closed, which bummed me out, which was conducive to me not meeting my goals (I came this close) which also bummed me out, so I just took the whole week off!

I seriously looked for every good excuse TO train that didn't involve me dying from sliding on ice, but I couldn't fine one.

I'm looking forward to the fresh start of February and to doing mostly non-tri workouts.

What's up with you guys?

2009-02-02 12:22 PM
in reply to: #1934584

User image

Fontana

woj143 - How does everyone feel this week? I am having a hard time getting back into the groove of things since I was sick last week. I started swimming again which has been great but running, cycling and weight training are soooo farrr from my mind.....give me some inspirational words!!!

Hey, just want to encourage you! I hit this point two weeks ago. I did nothing for a week after suffering from a slight cold coupled with sore feet and weak ankles. I think I had just gone a bit too hard the week before...then i faced the uphill battle of getting myself disciplined enough to start again! Good news though is that I DID start again - went out twice last week, though I gave myself time off again this Saturday gone, cause really, my body wasn't up for it. I'm putting in a lot of hours at work at the moment and I'm beginning to realize that forcing myself to work out when I'm already exhausted reallly accomplishes nothing.

Great thing though is that when I DID go out last week I walked for the full 20 mins and went on for a greater distance. So I didn't feel so bad for only working out 2ce in the week, instead of 3 times. Go figure! As Forrest would say, "life be's that way sometimes" Wink

2009-02-02 12:53 PM
in reply to: #1941171

User image

Fontana
lkagop - 2009-02-02 8:42 AM

The weather we had in Ohio last week just really dampened my training and my spirits.  The Y was closed, which bummed me out, which was conducive to me not meeting my goals (I came this close) which also bummed me out, so I just took the whole week off!

I seriously looked for every good excuse TO train that didn't involve me dying from sliding on ice, but I couldn't fine one.

I'm looking forward to the fresh start of February and to doing mostly non-tri workouts.

What's up with you guys?

Hee hee, sounds like we all need a little kick to get back onto the right path! Jenn, HELP!

But I agree, the weather in California the last two weeks wasn't exactly inspiring, either. The winds were so strong it made any attempt to walk comical - let alone run! That said, as I explained to Nicole, I did at least get two days in. It's so hard to train when it seems like the weather/your body/your workload are conspiring against you. But I must say i'm like totally relieved, being a 'newbie' in our group and to tri's, to see that even seasoned veterans struggle with wanting to get out of bed and just do it on some days!!

It's great that we have this little community where we can just share and be honest about where we're at and NOT have to 'pretend' we're all jumping for joy at the prospect of training everyday when life gets in the way Undecided

It's good to talk like this...but we need some solutions too. lol. What can we do to turn things around??

2009-02-02 1:53 PM
in reply to: #1941171

User image

Veteran
lkagop - 2009-02-02 10:42 AM

Hey, guys!  Happy Monday!  (OMGsh!  I'm one of those people who say that!  Eesh.)

What's up with you guys?

I have a feeling you will be right back in it.  Sometimes you need to step back and take a break.  Reset your game plan and get back into your rythm. 

Right when I got back into the swim (with the knee), I got the flu...took some time off but going to get right back into it by mid-week.

2009-02-02 4:53 PM

User image

Elite
HURRICANE, Utah

Happy Monday or Happy Groundhogs day being that there is still 6 weeks of winter we'll just say Happy Monday Smile
Great job jumping back in there annamarie and yes we are all humans and some days we all struggle more then another for that motivation.  The thing I need to figure out is why...cause I know I feel terrific once Im done with  my run, bike swim or what ever workout it is that I dont want to go do.  And seems like after Im done doing the one that I struggled getting out of bed for and am feeling great afterwards I find myself saying "Hey silly (well maybe a different word choice but you have the idea) arent you glad you did this...how can you ever think you dont want to get out here and run-next time you feel unmotivated think about today"  problem is I repeat this same conversation alot of times
Hang in there Spring will be here soon and that will help brighten us all up-atleast until the hot summer comes and we complain its too hot Foot in mouth

2009-02-03 12:10 PM

User image

COURT JESTER
ROCKFORD, IL

So sore from P90X Legs (skipped the back part) on Saturday (workout cut short) and Kenpo on Sunday (again a shortened workout).  Missed last night due to sick kid.

Tonight's plan is to do 1 round through Chest/Back (scheduled for yesterday) and 30 minutes of Plyometrics (today's planned workout....just a shortened version).

Hope Ya'll are doing great.

2009-02-03 12:18 PM

User image

Fontana

Thanks Jenn! Missed my walk this morning, but planning to make up for it this afternoon. Figure I'll do it at lunch time, cos maybe it's the early mornings that are getting to me! You're right, it will be better once the weather is consistently nice. But it's a GOR-geous day today in California - big blue skies, brilliant sunshine, warm air - so I really have no excuse!! lol.

Will log in my work-out once it's achieved.

Lora, how's it going??

2009-02-06 9:23 AM
in reply to: #1943386

User image

Master
Loveland, Ohio
annamariehope - 2009-02-03 1:18 PM

Lora, how's it going??

Tag, I'm it, huh?    So, I've decided to use February to cut back on SBR training and just do something different.  I've taken a kickboxing class and a pilates class this week.  Kickboxing was good, but I loved, loved, loved Pilates.  It's a shame they only offer it once a week.

I've actually been spending too much some time working on my Blogger blog.  I've added some gadgets, signed up on Twitter, and have been doing some blogging research.

I'm dying - dying - for warmer weather.  I know my training schedule shouldn't be so dependent on it, but it's killing me.  We're supposed to get up to 50 tomorrow, so I'm so pumped.

Anyway, that's the latest w/ me.

2009-02-09 6:39 PM

User image

Master
Loveland, Ohio
Hey, everybody!  What's going on?  I've been taking advantage of the warm weather yesterday and today and have been outside running.  It's felt fantastic!
2009-02-10 6:14 AM

User image

Elite
HURRICANE, Utah
I also go a great run in outside on Sunday.  We are heading to Myrtle Beach on Thursday morning.  My son and I are doing a 5k on Friday nite then Sat i am doing the marathon and Sunday we are doing a bike ride either 30 or 63 miles depending on how we feel.  After the run Sunday my IT Band kinda flaired up and was tender all day yesterday.  I rolled it out but it didnt fix it.  This morning its feeling better so Im hoping the rain stays away and after I teach the butts n guts class I can get out there and do a quick 3-4 miler.  I didnt get much running in the week before then went out and did almost 10 so its my fault.  Im not running the marathon as a run so not too worried about it.....running it as a training run for the 60k that is March 14th....now that one Im worried about   Hope everyone has a great week!  Spring will be here soon
2009-02-12 9:00 AM
in reply to: #1953986

User image

Master
Loveland, Ohio

Jungle Jenn - 2009-02-10 7:14 AM I also go a great run in outside on Sunday.  We are heading to Myrtle Beach on Thursday morning.  My son and I are doing a 5k on Friday nite then Sat i am doing the marathon and Sunday we are doing a bike ride either 30 or 63 miles depending on how we feel.  After the run Sunday my IT Band kinda flaired up and was tender all day yesterday.  I rolled it out but it didnt fix it.  This morning its feeling better so Im hoping the rain stays away and after I teach the butts n guts class I can get out there and do a quick 3-4 miler.  I didnt get much running in the week before then went out and did almost 10 so its my fault.  Im not running the marathon as a run so not too worried about it.....running it as a training run for the 60k that is March 14th....now that one Im worried about   Hope everyone has a great week!  Spring will be here soon

Safe travels and have a great racing weekend!

2009-02-22 6:30 PM
in reply to: #1953986

User image

Veteran

Jungle Jenn - 2009-02-10 6:14 AM I also go a great run in outside on Sunday.  We are heading to Myrtle Beach on Thursday morning.  My son and I are doing a 5k on Friday nite then Sat i am doing the marathon and Sunday we are doing a bike ride either 30 or 63 miles depending on how we feel.  After the run Sunday my IT Band kinda flaired up and was tender all day yesterday.  I rolled it out but it didnt fix it.  This morning its feeling better so Im hoping the rain stays away and after I teach the butts n guts class I can get out there and do a quick 3-4 miler.  I didnt get much running in the week before then went out and did almost 10 so its my fault.  Im not running the marathon as a run so not too worried about it.....running it as a training run for the 60k that is March 14th....now that one Im worried about   Hope everyone has a great week!  Spring will be here soon

How did the races and weekend go?

2009-02-23 6:36 PM

User image

Elite
HURRICANE, Utah

I made it home from a terrific weekend of 15 exercise classes! I learned so much new stuff for my bootcamps and circuits but was disappointed in the water classes I took.  Most of that stuff I already have been doing. 
I am starting to get nervous about the 60K coming up in less then 3 weeks. The marathon was cold and wet the week before last and my feet got tired....on a positive note my feet didnt blister.  I went into it thinking I would go slow on purpose so I stopped at the room at mile 7 to change shirts as mine was rubbing my arms raw...had a quarter of a diet dew and just talked to my son a bit...met up with a lady and helped her finish 13.1 miles and I think going that slow maybe wasnt a good idea.  But I dont know cause Ive only gone 26.2 miles twice before and that was after swimming 2.4 and biking 112.  My feet hurt more then expected.  Since the marathon before going to the fitness conference I just walked the treadmill for some long walks to stay on the feet and now am feeling better.  I am planning on a long run on Weds and again on Sunday and then I will know what to do from there.  Im not a quitter so I know I can do this but heck its a 8 hour drive atleast all by myself and I am starting to question if I really want to do this.  Ugggggggg Help your mentor out   suggestions?

2009-02-24 5:38 PM
in reply to: #1978071

User image

Master
Loveland, Ohio
Jungle Jenn - 2009-02-23 7:36 PM

I made it home from a terrific weekend of 15 exercise classes! I learned so much new stuff for my bootcamps and circuits but was disappointed in the water classes I took.  Most of that stuff I already have been doing. 
I am starting to get nervous about the 60K coming up in less then 3 weeks. The marathon was cold and wet the week before last and my feet got tired....on a positive note my feet didnt blister.  I went into it thinking I would go slow on purpose so I stopped at the room at mile 7 to change shirts as mine was rubbing my arms raw...had a quarter of a diet dew and just talked to my son a bit...met up with a lady and helped her finish 13.1 miles and I think going that slow maybe wasnt a good idea.  But I dont know cause Ive only gone 26.2 miles twice before and that was after swimming 2.4 and biking 112.  My feet hurt more then expected.  Since the marathon before going to the fitness conference I just walked the treadmill for some long walks to stay on the feet and now am feeling better.  I am planning on a long run on Weds and again on Sunday and then I will know what to do from there.  Im not a quitter so I know I can do this but heck its a 8 hour drive atleast all by myself and I am starting to question if I really want to do this.  Ugggggggg Help your mentor out   suggestions?

Hmmm.  Let's first play with numbers.  A 60K.  That's about 37 miles, right?  You just completed 26.2 and the ultra would be an increase in mileage of around 30-35 percent.

You said that you can do it and I believe you.  Now, I guess the next question I would ask is what was your initial motivation and desire to do the race and does that still remain?

Let us know how the run goes tomorrow and if things have changed for you.  We're supposed to warm up tomorrow so it'll be a great day for a run!

2009-02-24 8:25 PM

Bayside, NY

Congrats Jenn! I envy you, I am still having trouble with a 5 k never mind a 60K! That is so great!

I got a cycle ops and I think it's one of the best investments in this cold snowy winter. It's a great workout, much different than spinning!

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Jungle Jenn's Jovial Mentor Group - CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 6