BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Tee Cris' Group - CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 7

2009-02-03 5:36 PM
in reply to: #1862005

Master
Charlotte, NC
Subject: RE: Tee Cris' Group - CLOSED
Okay, had my masters swim class today.  It definitely keeps me going to the pool.

2009-02-03 9:38 PM
in reply to: #1944058

User image

Veteran

tricrazy - 2009-02-03 5:36 PM Okay, had my masters swim class today.  It definitely keeps me going to the pool.

Nice job Rachel!  We thought you left us

2009-02-03 9:56 PM

User image

Expert
Chicago
Okay. I just bit the bullet and dropped $300 on an IronCamp in St. Louis this August. It's not timed incredibly well for IMAZ, BUT...it'll definitely help and it'll help me be poised for a good PR at the Great Illini Half in September.

Woo!
2009-02-04 2:08 PM
in reply to: #1944476

Master
Charlotte, NC
TeeCris - 2009-02-03 10:38 PM

tricrazy - 2009-02-03 5:36 PM Okay, had my masters swim class today.  It definitely keeps me going to the pool.

Nice job Rachel!  We thought you left us

Nah, you can't get rid of me that easily!

2009-02-04 2:35 PM
in reply to: #1945596

User image

Expert
Chicago
Good.

I can't be the only girl regularly checking in. This isn't a boys club, ya know!

How's the half planning coming along? When is your race again?

...speaking of races...we should gather all of our key races dates and put 'em in one big list for fun so we know who to virtually cheer on and when! What do you think?
2009-02-04 5:47 PM
in reply to: #1945642

Master
Charlotte, NC

RunningJayhawk - 2009-02-04 3:35 PM Good. I can't be the only girl regularly checking in. This isn't a boys club, ya know! How's the half planning coming along? When is your race again? ...speaking of races...we should gather all of our key races dates and put 'em in one big list for fun so we know who to virtually cheer on and when! What do you think?

You are just chock full of good ideas!  The training is okay.  It was really cold here today in NC so I stayed in.  (It was lik 30 which is really cold.  I know it's not Chicago- I lived there for 7 years- but I am totally climatized.)  It will be back up to the 60s this weekend.  My HIM is May 2/3, whichever is that Staurday.  I am really excited but really nervous!!! 

2009-02-04 10:05 PM

User image

Expert
Chicago
Okay...I'll start.

7.12.09 - Trek Women's Sprint (Pleasant Prairie, WI)
8.1.09 - Steelhead 70.3 (Benton Harbor, MI) <-- Tom, you're doing this one, too...right?!
9.5.09 - Great Illini Half IM (Mattoon, IL)
11.22.09 - Ironman Arizona (Tempe)

I've got a few smaller road races and a 2 organized century rides, but I don't think they're necessarily worth posting about...
2009-02-05 7:23 AM

User image

Veteran

I'm planning on:

Lonestar HIM - April 5th Galveston, TX

IM Coeur d'Alene - June 21st Coeur d'Alene, ID

We have sprints and Oly's throughout the year around Dallas and I'm waiting to see how this IM training goes before I commit to any.

Interesting news of the day:  I got out the door at 5:30 for a run today.  Not sure how it happened other than the reality of kids and work is setting in lately and this seems to be the best time to make sure it gets done.  Funny what an IM will do for motivation and training habits! 

2009-02-05 1:44 PM

Master
Charlotte, NC

March 29- MAP (sprint distance)

May 2- White Lake HIM

June 27- Tri-Latte (sprint distance)

I am thinking of doing 70.3 Augusta but I will probably(well, hopefully) be too pregnant by then.  

2009-02-05 4:35 PM

User image

Subject: One MIA reporting in...

One MIA reporting in....

I had a 2 1/2 week break in January... started up again about 2 weeks ago and I've been sticking with the plan. (insert lame excuse here about full-time college, full-time work, and two kids aged 3 & under)

I just caught up on some of the recent conversations - here are my contributions:

My bike is a 1992 Diamondback Sorrento mountain bike.  I'm going to use it for 2009 and when I show myself that I am sticking with this hobby, I may treat myself to a bicycle purchase in early 2010.  The bike has been very loyal and is functional, and I can't justify an additional expense at the moment.

The sprint triathlon I'm training for is on July 26, but I'll be signing up for at least one 5K taking place in/around April as an interim goal.

That's the update from here in NJ - I'm slowly making progress and thanks to everyone for keeping me honest.  There's definitely some accountability with being involved in a group.

AJ

2009-02-05 5:37 PM
in reply to: #1947899

User image

Expert
Chicago
Subject: RE: One MIA reporting in...
artford333 - 2009-02-05 4:35 PM

One MIA reporting in....

I had a 2 1/2 week break in January... started up again about 2 weeks ago and I've been sticking with the plan. (insert lame excuse here about full-time college, full-time work, and two kids aged 3 & under)

I just caught up on some of the recent conversations - here are my contributions:

My bike is a 1992 Diamondback Sorrento mountain bike.  I'm going to use it for 2009 and when I show myself that I am sticking with this hobby, I may treat myself to a bicycle purchase in early 2010.  The bike has been very loyal and is functional, and I can't justify an additional expense at the moment.

The sprint triathlon I'm training for is on July 26, but I'll be signing up for at least one 5K taking place in/around April as an interim goal.

That's the update from here in NJ - I'm slowly making progress and thanks to everyone for keeping me honest.  There's definitely some accountability with being involved in a group.

AJ

YAY!! I thought we lost you. Glad to see you're getting back in the groove of things. Life happens, but it's good that you're sticking with the plan.

I bolded a comment above that really struck me. I first started this as a 'hobby' to try something new above and beyond the local road races. Somewhere along the way it turned from a potential hobby into a lifestyle. I'm interested to keep tabs on you and see if something similar happens. So if there's ever a time when you wake up and think "I can't imagine my life without the craziness of swim-bike-run" ...let me know!! I'm still trying to pinpoint when it happened for me. It's kind of fascinating to think about...you sort of evolve without realizing it.

Hopefully the weather out in Jersey gives you some reprieve soon. Did I mention to you I used to live there? Columbus actually (small town) and went to Moorestown Friends for a couple of years, too.

2009-02-05 7:34 PM
in reply to: #1947997

User image

Subject: RE: One MIA reporting in...

Barb -

Columbus, NJ... as in home of the Columbus Farmer's Market on 206?  If so, I'm about 15 minutes north of there in Hamilton Township, just north of Trenton.

Thanks for the kind words and I will definitely keep you posted on my progress. I'm definitely excited at the prospect of a more active lifestyle and I'm thankful that there are people (like you, Todd, and the rest of the group) who are interested in helping others.

Tough to believe we're 5 weeks into '09...

aj

2009-02-05 9:09 PM

User image

Veteran

Way to go AJ!   Glad to see you here again!!

Barb hit it on the head.  I got into this through friends who were just starting out and at the time I was just running some road races here and there.  I always went to a gym or ran but had very few goals or events that I was working toward.  I decided to see what it was all about and signed up for a sprint.  After that race I analyzed all the things I could have done differently and was totally hooked.  All of a sudden the daily workouts had a purpose.  Having races to look forward to and trying to improve is the key for me.  I also have some friends here locally to compete with and that really helps.

Make it to your first race and see what happens.  The lifestyle part may kick in at some point.  Come by here and let us know how you're doing - good or bad.  We're here to help, and we're always trying to pull more people into the cult

2009-02-06 7:25 AM

User image

Ann Arbor,MI
Alright - back in thewater today. It was the first time since September. It felt really good to be back. I love the swimming time. Quiet, peaceful. It was a short one to get into the swing of it, so it was 600yds in about 15 min. 
2009-02-06 8:18 AM
in reply to: #1948257

User image

Subject: Newbie Question #1 - Swimming Goggles

Thanks, Todd.  It's nice to have people willing to help.

Here's a newbie question:

Any hints on how to find a decent pair of swimming goggles?  The pair I'm using leak a bit and fog up pretty easily. I would like to think I have them adjusted properly for my face, but for all I know I may not have them on properly.

I did some research on amazon.com to see people's opinions and I'm guessing it's like most other pieces of equipment; it all varies based on individual's taste, body shape, expectations, etc...

Looking forward to hearing the thoughts of the group.

Happy Friday everyone...

aj

2009-02-06 11:51 AM
in reply to: #1948593

User image

Expert
Chicago
Subject: RE: Newbie Question #1 - Swimming Goggles
artford333 - 2009-02-05 7:34 PM

Barb -

Columbus, NJ... as in home of the Columbus Farmer's Market on 206? If so, I'm about 15 minutes north of there in Hamilton Township, just north of Trenton.

Uhmm...are you freakin' kidding me. I used live in a neighborhood just off of Columbus Jobstown road across from the flea market next door (do they still have that every week?). And I know exactly where HT is...what a small world!

artford333 - 2009-02-06 8:18 AM

Thanks, Todd.  It's nice to have people willing to help.

Here's a newbie question:

Any hints on how to find a decent pair of swimming goggles?  The pair I'm using leak a bit and fog up pretty easily. I would like to think I have them adjusted properly for my face, but for all I know I may not have them on properly.

I did some research on amazon.com to see people's opinions and I'm guessing it's like most other pieces of equipment; it all varies based on individual's taste, body shape, expectations, etc...

Looking forward to hearing the thoughts of the group.

Happy Friday everyone...

aj

It took me FOREVER to find goggles that fit my face well and didn't leak. For 2 years I spent random $20s in probably 4-5 different pairs of speedo goggles. It wasn't until Enduracamps last year that I discovered View goggles. They're a little pricier, but the seal on my face is solid and I haven't had any leaking problems. My husband used them during IMLou last year and then decided to get his own pair. Good quality, but worth the price from my experience. http://www.tusa.com.au/View

Tom...great job getting back in the pool! 600 yards in 15 is solid.

In my neck of the woods, we got our masters swim cards in the mail this week and I heard back from the UIC head swim coach (who leads the masters group we'll be joining). There's an open swim tomorrow from 8-10am that I'm considering going to...except I'd have to figure out how the heck to navigate my way there via public transportation as my husband is out of town with the car this weekend. So that'd be a bit of a headache. I figure I'd wait and see what time I wake up in the morning. Otherwise I'll be running (woo! we'll be in the 40's this weekend!)...and using the CO2 cartridges to fill my bike up to get it on the trainer while Mike is gone.

2009-02-07 5:12 PM

User image

Expert
Chicago
Tom...I hope that Michigan is getting some of this warm weather we've been spoiled with today! It was GORGEOUS outside!! Perfect for a solid run today.
2009-02-08 8:27 AM
in reply to: #1950733

User image

Ann Arbor,MI

RunningJayhawk - 2009-02-07 6:12 PM Tom...I hope that Michigan is getting some of this warm weather we've been spoiled with today! It was GORGEOUS outside!! Perfect for a solid run today.

Yep, good-bye snow! It was really nice. Almost 50 degrees. I worked out in the morning though, did 40min ofcrossfit type stuff with my wife. Hoping to run outside today. 

2009-02-08 4:32 PM

User image

Expert
Chicago
Excellent!

I finally resolved my tire issues. After blowing 2 CO2 cartridges (I really need to figure out how to properly use these stupid things) I took apart the broken pump. Somehow I got it to put air in the tube although it kept registering 0 on the psi meter. I filled it up by guesstimation and it seemed to work.

Now I just need to find where the heck my Cateye went to. My cadence felt pretty crummy...but I still got an hour in!
2009-02-08 7:06 PM

Master
Charlotte, NC

I went on my longest ride ever today, 31 miles.  Yay!!!  It was kind of slow but I hav4e to start somewhere and there were some killer hills.  I ran out of gears to shift to and seriously thought I was going to end up walking the bike up one hill.  Then, a short little run. 

2009-02-09 9:36 AM
in reply to: #1951694

User image

Expert
Chicago
Nicely done. You're over halfway to the distance for the half! Clearly this isn't an issue for you. You're my hero.

2009-02-09 9:09 PM

User image

West Chester, PA

Hi Everyone, I'm still here, been a little quiet recently on the training/posting front, but for good reason - I went for it this past weekend and took a Total Immersion Workshop (aka Bootcamp).

After taking a look at the TI video (thanks Barb) and trying it in the pool myself and still not feeling great in the pool, I decided to jump in and give the workshop a try since it was in Philly this past weekend, and - it was TOTALLY worth it!!!

Basically the workshop was broken down into 4 two-hour pool sessions with hour long breaks in between where you reviewed videos of your individual progress throughout the weekend (both above and under water shots).  They worked from the very very basic (e.g. floating) all the way up to full stroke, in a very structured, build upon the last step approach.  My initial fear going into it was that it was some sort of "proprietary" stroke, but really what it's all about is a pretty fundamental way of teaching a normal, very efficient stroke.

So, onto the results... During the first pool session on Saturday, they video'd a 25m lap - it took me 24 strokes, I only breathe to the right, and I felt winded 3/4 through.  By the Sunday afternoon final taping, I finished the same 25m lap in less time, was able to breathe bilaterally, did not feel winded/fatigued, and only took 7 strokes!!!  What an improvement!!!  So, with a few more months of practice, the swim on any distance shouldn't be a problem considering my new form and new found confidence in the water!!!

So, for now, my race plans are still pretty simple:
- Philadelphia Sprint 6/28
- New Jersey State Sprint 7/28 (AJ, I'll see you there)
- Marhsman Sprint 9/4
- Quakerman Olympic 9/18

Now, off to sleep to rest my aching new found swim muscles!!!

KD

2009-02-09 9:41 PM
in reply to: #1953741

User image

Veteran

Kevin, WOW!!  Good thing you didn't listen to us about using the money for private lessons instead.   Congratulations! 

I've got to ask one question.  Was it 7 strokes or 17?

2009-02-09 10:09 PM
in reply to: #1953824

User image

West Chester, PA

Thx!!!  The stroke count was actually 7 - essentially the stroke uses your hips as the driver, limited kicking (really only for balance) and one heck of a glide in a very streamlined position, all with very very little effort - it's almost like to perfect gold swing - the harder you try and swing a club, the worse off you are!!!

The good news is I also walked away with a pretty custom training plan to keep my momentum going and burn in muscle memory.  Plus, there are a few TI coaches in Philly that are available for brush-ups later.

I highly, highly recommend giving it a try, especially for IM distance swims since the key take away from TI swimming is form vs. effort.

KD

2009-02-10 6:03 AM
in reply to: #1953864

User image

Kevin-

That is tremendous news - congratulations on making such a dramatic improvement in such a short period of time.  I'm looking forward to hearing more about your progress in the pool. (and I'm a bit jealous because I definitely could benefit from the workshop experience)

My company (J & J) is putting together a team of people for the Philly Triathlon in June, so I'll definitely see you there (as well as in NJ).  We're raising money for the Cancer Center at the Children's Hospital of Philadelphia. I'm very excited to be a part of a group - not sure how many people we'll end up with, but the guy leading the group has done 7 triathlons of varying lengths.

Congratulations again on the great workshop weekend - keep the swim updates coming!

AJ 

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Tee Cris' Group - CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 7