of 12

2009-01-19 7:22 AM
in reply to: #1915815

Subject: RE: Jeff's Group - Open

Got it - thanks Jeff.  Smile

2009-01-19 3:56 PM
in reply to: #1878962

Subject: RE: Jeff's Group - CLOSED

Thanks for the tips, Jeff. I added you to my friends and fixed up my goals a little bit.  I also log my miles on the plus3 Network (www.plus3network.com) and on their calendar I noticed that I had run WAY more than I had biked for Nov. - Dec. This explains the knee soreness, I think it will get better sooner than 6 weeks. I will play it by ear. 

I love the training log here. It took me a little bit to figure it out, but I plan on using it to track workouts and nutrition. 

Riding too and from a swim workout is a great goal for me to shoot for. Or I could ride to the pool and have my husband pick me up and drive me home. That would give me 50 miles at least...

I am going to try the "Burner" tonight during my trainer ride, thanks for all the good info.

Stacy 

2009-01-19 5:34 PM
in reply to: #1916795

User image

Veteran
Eugene, Oregon
swilburn - 2009-01-19 1:56 PM

Thanks for the tips, Jeff. I added you to my friends and fixed up my goals a little bit.  I also log my miles on the plus3 Network (www.plus3network.com) and on their calendar I noticed that I had run WAY more than I had biked for Nov. - Dec. This explains the knee soreness, I think it will get better sooner than 6 weeks. I will play it by ear. 

I love the training log here. It took me a little bit to figure it out, but I plan on using it to track workouts and nutrition. 

Riding too and from a swim workout is a great goal for me to shoot for. Or I could ride to the pool and have my husband pick me up and drive me home. That would give me 50 miles at least...

I am going to try the "Burner" tonight during my trainer ride, thanks for all the good info.

Stacy 

Hi Stacy,

Good luck with the burner. My pool is closed today so I'm running instead and will swim tomorrow. The training log is great. I like the training graph and find it sometimes challenging to make my actual traing meet the planned training. That "little blue line" can really tick me off!

Another tip on your page, is if someone sends you an inspire, you can reply to them using the "blog" button not the post button, otherwise you'll just post yourself a note.

2009-01-19 5:34 PM
in reply to: #1915833

User image

Veteran
Eugene, Oregon
Subject: RE: Jeff's Group - Open
Lara C - 2009-01-19 5:22 AM

Got it - thanks Jeff.  Smile

Right-o

2009-01-19 7:52 PM
in reply to: #1916967

New user

Another tip on your page, is if someone sends you an inspire, you can reply to them using the "blog" button not the post button, otherwise you'll just post yourself a note.

Keep the tips coming Jeff!   I will now stop talking to myself.  LOL.

Emily

2009-01-19 9:28 PM
in reply to: #1917199

User image

Veteran
Eugene, Oregon
efk101603 - 2009-01-19 5:52 PM

Emily

Hee hee.

2009-01-19 10:41 PM
in reply to: #1915626

User image

Glen Ellyn
Thanks Jeff....I've emailed it to you....

Cheers,

Jim
2009-01-20 6:37 PM
in reply to: #1917445

User image

Veteran
Eugene, Oregon

Redbirdrunner - 2009-01-19 8:41 PM Thanks Jeff....I've emailed it to you.... Cheers, Jim

I just sent you a reply Jim. Good job.

2009-01-20 10:38 PM

Is it pretty quiet here or is just me? Perhaps everyone else is too busy out training Smile

I had a swimming lesson last night and really enjoyed it. My elbow and shoulder aren't doing exactly what they are supposed to yet but there was a bit of improvement. Last year I tried to concentrate on pulling my shoulder back a bit, and also trying to bend my elbow. The latter is where I really seem to struggle. However I did okay at the Catch up drill as well as swimming with just the left or right arm. It was great to feel the difference in power, or lack there of, with just one arm.

I must find some stretches to do post swimming.

And this morning I'll be doing a strength session and 6 x 400m. My first speed session for running in quite a while!
2009-01-20 11:02 PM
in reply to: #1917199

User image

Extreme Veteran
Champaign, Illinois

Emily

I talk to myself a lot... especially while training!!!

2009-01-20 11:12 PM
in reply to: #1919488

User image

Veteran
Eugene, Oregon

Lara C - 2009-01-20 8:38 PM Is it pretty quiet here or is just me? Perhaps everyone else is too busy out training Smile

I had a swimming lesson last night and really enjoyed it. My elbow and shoulder aren't doing exactly what they are supposed to yet but there was a bit of improvement. Last year I tried to concentrate on pulling my shoulder back a bit, and also trying to bend my elbow. The latter is where I really seem to struggle. However I did okay at the Catch up drill as well as swimming with just the left or right arm. It was great to feel the difference in power, or lack there of, with just one arm.

I must find some stretches to do post swimming.

And this morning I'll be doing a strength session and 6 x 400m. My first speed session for running in quite a while!

Lara you are certainly picking up the pace. I added a link about swimming to a reply a couple pages back. It's a Youtube with Dave Scott. You might want to check it out.

2009-01-20 11:13 PM
in reply to: #1919508

User image

Veteran
Eugene, Oregon
dcossey - 2009-01-20 9:02 PM

Emily

I talk to myself a lot... especially while training!!!

Yeah, but do you answer?

2009-01-21 1:59 PM

New user

scary as it sounds, I answer myself

2009-01-21 8:37 PM
in reply to: #1920633

User image

Veteran
Eugene, Oregon
cohophysh - 2009-01-21 11:59 AM

scary as it sounds, I answer myself

Now that is scary!

2009-01-22 7:21 AM
in reply to: #1921465

User image

Veteran
Eugene, Oregon

Here's a little something for you, gang. It's called The Devil's Abs, and it's courtesy of the gomer, a BT'er who's training to be a Navy SEAL. Good luck.

The Devil’s Abs Workout

Do 2 times and you have done 666 abs

40 full sit-ups
40 reverse sit-ups (you bring your knees to elbows)
40 right side oblique sit-ups
40 left side oblique sit-ups
40 crunches
40 leg levers (basically leg lifts, start 6 inches off ground and lift to 38 inches)
53 4-count flutter kicks
40 half sit-ups (come up just so shoulder blades are off the ground and hold for a second)

Remember that the above reps are only 1 time through, and to do the whole workout you have to do it all twice. I've done this a number of times, and honestly, I've yet to do the complete workout. Enjoy!

2009-01-22 2:32 PM

New user
ooohhh, me likes and haz to try that workout TONIGHT...I already know the full sit ups will be a problem

2009-01-23 6:20 PM

Well, I have had a pretty good week and my knees seem to be feeling better, so maybe one more easy week and then start building back my volume very gradually. I will start swimming in March.
2009-01-23 6:46 PM
in reply to: #1926161

User image

Veteran
Eugene, Oregon

swilburn - 2009-01-23 4:20 PM Well, I have had a pretty good week and my knees seem to be feeling better, so maybe one more easy week and then start building back my volume very gradually. I will start swimming in March.

That's great news!

2009-01-24 7:03 AM

Afternoon (at least it is for me!)

Went swimming yesterday and my breathing was just horrible. I couldn't get into a good pattern and felt like I was running out of breath after 50 metres. I wasn't going quickly so I have no idea what I'm doing wrong. Also, stll don't think I'm bending my elbow correctly so need to keep working on that one too.

Going for a 5 mile plod a bit later. I've had a bit of a sleep in today Embarassed
2009-01-24 10:24 AM
in reply to: #1926546

User image

Veteran
Eugene, Oregon

Lara C - 2009-01-24 5:03 AM Afternoon (at least it is for me!)

Went swimming yesterday and my breathing was just horrible. I couldn't get into a good pattern and felt like I was running out of breath after 50 metres. I wasn't going quickly so I have no idea what I'm doing wrong. Also, stll don't think I'm bending my elbow correctly so need to keep working on that one too.

Going for a 5 mile plod a bit later. I've had a bit of a sleep in today Embarassed

Hi Lara,

Ditto on the sleeping in. I'm a bit sluggish this morning too.

I'd like to hear more about your breathing. I sometimes breathe from both sides, ala left right left breathe, right left right breathe. Or, sometimes I'll breathe to the left two strokes in a row, then left right left and breathe two times in a row to the right and repeat. During warmup I breath from both sides. When I start my main set I continue to breathe from both sides until I need more air, then I employ the two to the left and two to the right breathing. If I do some all out effort laps I breathe to the left with every stroke, touch the wall, and breathe to the right with every stroke back. I look at it like I do when I'm running in that a jog or easy run has me breathing in for four strides and out for four. If I pick up the pace I need more air and breathe with  every three, etc. I'm just saying you don't have to get locked in to breathing the same when you're swimming, especially if you need more air.

2009-01-24 2:51 PM

New user

Jeff et al.

I may already know the answer to this question but when you are not feeling well, at what point do you decide not to work out.   Does this make sense.

2009-01-24 4:20 PM
in reply to: #1921928

User image

Extreme Veteran
Cotati, CA

Yikes...thanks for something to aspire to...

IRONVIKING - 2009-01-22 5:21 AM

Here's a little something for you, gang. It's called The Devil's Abs, and it's courtesy of the gomer, a BT'er who's training to be a Navy SEAL. Good luck.

The Devil’s Abs Workout

Do 2 times and you have done 666 abs

40 full sit-ups
40 reverse sit-ups (you bring your knees to elbows)
40 right side oblique sit-ups
40 left side oblique sit-ups
40 crunches
40 leg levers (basically leg lifts, start 6 inches off ground and lift to 38 inches)
53 4-count flutter kicks
40 half sit-ups (come up just so shoulder blades are off the ground and hold for a second)

Remember that the above reps are only 1 time through, and to do the whole workout you have to do it all twice. I've done this a number of times, and honestly, I've yet to do the complete workout. Enjoy!

2009-01-24 4:27 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Cotati, CA

Jeff-

Looking for some info about fluid replacement?  Looking ahead, there will be a time when I need to start carrying fluids and nutrition on my running days.  Do you have a system as to how much you carry, what you use (plain water, gatorade, etc....), and the rate of consumption?  I know from past experience that I do not hydrate enough during the run and want to train for doing it properly.....thanks.

I am also interested on salt supplements.  Never have taken them and had a calf cramping episode on a past long run that I never want to repeat.  Assumed it had something to do with electrolyte shortage....educate me please.

Countdown to a Monday training program start! Have cleared the decks of excuses and been to the doc. 

Jim

2009-01-24 11:55 PM
in reply to: #1927008

User image

Veteran
Eugene, Oregon
cohophysh - 2009-01-24 12:51 PM

Jeff et al.

I may already know the answer to this question but when you are not feeling well, at what point do you decide not to work out.   Does this make sense.

If I have a cold I'd probably do my workout, although a chest cold makes it hard to run. If I have a low fever I'd probably swim. A fever of a few degrees is where I'd draw the line, as well as nausea of course. Are you coming down with something?

2009-01-25 12:36 AM
in reply to: #1927100

User image

Veteran
Eugene, Oregon
gaiaserver - 2009-01-24 2:27 PM

Jeff-

Looking for some info about fluid replacement?  Looking ahead, there will be a time when I need to start carrying fluids and nutrition on my running days.  Do you have a system as to how much you carry, what you use (plain water, gatorade, etc....), and the rate of consumption?  I know from past experience that I do not hydrate enough during the run and want to train for doing it properly.....thanks.

I am also interested on salt supplements.  Never have taken them and had a calf cramping episode on a past long run that I never want to repeat.  Assumed it had something to do with electrolyte shortage....educate me please.

Countdown to a Monday training program start! Have cleared the decks of excuses and been to the doc. 

Jim

Jim,

I struggled with finding the right fuel until I started using Infinit. It comes in a powder and has electrolytes, carbohydrates, and protein. I've carried it dry through two marathons, mixing it with a mouthful of water at drinking stations. I used it exclusively during my last Ironman with great success, both as a liquid during the bike course and again dry during the marathon leg.

In training, I run up to six miles with no fuel or water in cool weather. In the summer I'd run up to six miles with just water from a drinking fountain. If I were to ride for one hour or less I'd take water. If I were riding for 2-3 hours I'd definitely take Infinit and water and fuel every 20-30 minutes, and by that I mean I'd have 2-3 swallows of Infinit and 4-6 swallows of water. It's important to take water with fuel to aid in assimilation. I know triathletes who take a combo of fuels with them-bars, gels, and drink- and they come out fine. I wanted the simplest system available and I think Infinit has it all. I'm not a salesman for them I just know it works for me.

My local bike shop (LBS) carries Hammer products. I bought three hammer flasks and used them with Hammer gel that I bought in bulk and would fill the flasks when I ran or rode. I now use the flasks to carry Infinit and if I go on a long run I put one scoop in the flask and fill it up with water, sipping it every thirty minutes or so. For very long runs, of up to2+ hrs, I sometimes take an additional flask of just the powder and stop at a drinking fountain to fill it. If Iwere doing IM training and my rides hit the three or four hour mark I'd fill my aero bottle with infinit and carry four water bottles with me, one of which was an additional serving of infinit. I would fuel every 20 minutes until I had 30 minutes left to ride and would just sip water if I needed it. For a brick where my ride was up to two hours and the run up to six miles I'd have the same Infinit and water supply but would have a dry flask of Infinit for the run. And I'd keep fueling for the duration of the ride and into the run.

Your cramps can be bad news. Do you sweat easily? Do you get the white rings of dried sweat, or feel it like sand on your forehead? I've never used salt supplements so I can't really recommend any to you, but I've heard good things from those who've used LavaSalt.

Monday is the big day huh? Way to go. I hope I answered your question but feel free to keep asking.

Jeff

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Jeff's Group - CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 12