BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Jonathan22's mentor group - CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 15

2009-01-23 8:39 PM
in reply to: #1879927

New user

Subject: RE: Jonathan22's mentor group - OPEN

I would like to join your group. My name is Jeff and I go by Big Daddy Fro. I am 32 years old, 6'1" tall, 340 lbs and looking to get back into shape, lose weight and start competing in triathlons. In regards to my weight I do have a large frame and hold my weight relatively well for my size.  I am looking to get down to at least 200 lbs.

A brief overview of my background, I have been an athlete for the first 20 years of my life. I played baseball, basketball, dek hockey, football, soccer, and wrestling.

I have a goal of competing in a sprint distance triathlon in May of this year. I started this week on the treadmill, due to the cold weather (I live in PA) and have been walking for 40 minutes at 2.8 mph. I feel that I can be in good enough shape to complete the tri in May even if I have to walk part of the race. I have a lot of previous experience cycling and I can pick that up really quick when the weather begins to break.

Well that's my background and current goals. I look forward to this journey and would like to be a part of your group.

Thank you,

Big Daddy Fro

2009-01-24 10:54 AM
in reply to: #1925340

My real name is Ruthie...funny I just had this conversation with one of my boys...apparently he only knows me as Mommy! 

I posted the races I plan to do this year...what do you think?  I've never done an open water swim and the Clemson Sprint is an open water swim...plus I want the tshirt!  Of course that is IF there is enough water in the lake.  Festival of Flowers Olympic is also an open water and, of course, the SC 1/2 is open water (that's my ultimate goal for this year...do the 1/2 and then train next year for  a full.)    My only limiter to which tris I can do is that I'd rather be able to drive to them the day of.  Dealing with a tri and 4 kids is too much! 

2009-01-25 5:37 AM

New user

how often should i be replacing my running shoes? every year? i couldn't even start to guess how many miles i've put on them. i overpronate and at the beginning of last year (my first) i injured myself, running to much, to early with the wrong shoes. by stretching more, getting the right supportive shoes, icing and spacing my running out i overcame the problem. but my knees were sore yesterday despite stretching and wearing the right shoes. it made me nervous because this is exactly what happened last year. maybe my shoes are just ready to be replaced?
2009-01-25 7:32 AM
in reply to: #1921159

User image

Master
chris1214 - 2009-01-21 6:52 PM Hey all... Quick question again.  I know it is highly advised to not wear the forerunner 305 in the water.  So how does everyone accurately time your lap times? Did you purchase a cheap water proof watch just for swimming or something else?  Thanks in advance

I wear a Ironman Tmex watch for swimming.  
2009-01-25 7:37 AM
in reply to: #1926301

User image

Master
Big Daddy Fro - 2009-01-23 9:39 PM

I would like to join your group. My name is Jeff and I go by Big Daddy Fro. I am 32 years old, 6'1" tall, 340 lbs and looking to get back into shape, lose weight and start competing in triathlons. In regards to my weight I do have a large frame and hold my weight relatively well for my size.  I am looking to get down to at least 200 lbs.

A brief overview of my background, I have been an athlete for the first 20 years of my life. I played baseball, basketball, dek hockey, football, soccer, and wrestling.

I have a goal of competing in a sprint distance triathlon in May of this year. I started this week on the treadmill, due to the cold weather (I live in PA) and have been walking for 40 minutes at 2.8 mph. I feel that I can be in good enough shape to complete the tri in May even if I have to walk part of the race. I have a lot of previous experience cycling and I can pick that up really quick when the weather begins to break.

Well that's my background and current goals. I look forward to this journey and would like to be a part of your group.

Thank you,

Big Daddy Fro

Welcome Big Daddy Fro.  I love the screen name.  

Keep up the walking.  I think many people underestimate the value of simply walking.   

I am a big fan of Hal Higdon and he has a program to get folks running who might not be ready to start at that level: http://www.halhigdon.com/beginrunner/intro.htm

You might check that out.
2009-01-25 7:42 AM
in reply to: #1926771

User image

Master
4kidsgbgb - 2009-01-24 11:54 AM

My real name is Ruthie...funny I just had this conversation with one of my boys...apparently he only knows me as Mommy! 

I posted the races I plan to do this year...what do you think?  I've never done an open water swim and the Clemson Sprint is an open water swim...plus I want the tshirt!  Of course that is IF there is enough water in the lake.  Festival of Flowers Olympic is also an open water and, of course, the SC 1/2 is open water (that's my ultimate goal for this year...do the 1/2 and then train next year for  a full.)    My only limiter to which tris I can do is that I'd rather be able to drive to them the day of.  Dealing with a tri and 4 kids is too much! 

Ruthie,
I certainly understand the driving to the race on race morning requirement.  Last year having gone to Kona, we are looking to reduce expenses down to a minimum so I am doing mostly local races.  

Prior to my first tri, I only did 1 open water swim.  I think you will be fine.  The FoF and SC 1/2 are the same swim (same lake) and you will have almost zero issues.  They are great races.  

And your race schedule is totally doable.  You have plenty of time to ramp up to the HIM which I would make as your A race and have all other races be prep.  Doing FoF will be great prep for SC 1/2.  

2009-01-25 7:46 AM
in reply to: #1927547

User image

Master
cbryant148 - 2009-01-25 6:37 AM how often should i be replacing my running shoes? every year? i couldn't even start to guess how many miles i've put on them. i overpronate and at the beginning of last year (my first) i injured myself, running to much, to early with the wrong shoes. by stretching more, getting the right supportive shoes, icing and spacing my running out i overcame the problem. but my knees were sore yesterday despite stretching and wearing the right shoes. it made me nervous because this is exactly what happened last year. maybe my shoes are just ready to be replaced?

I replace mine at 300 miles.  The great thing about logging your workouts on BT is that you can add equipment and track mileage of shoes.  I also buy 2 pair of shoes and rotate them between runs.  Some people can get longer mileage out of there shoes; it's strange because I don't weigh that much but once my shoes get to 300 miles or so I can start to feel it in my knees.  At 350 miles, I really start to feel it in my knees and ankles.  

Here is a good article on running shoe mileage: http://www.therunnersguide.com/howlongrunningshoeslast/
2009-01-25 7:58 PM

User image

Regular
Alpharetta, GA
Hey Jonathan,

Last year was my first season. I'm a Clyde and slow, but I improved throughout the year. I've gotten so excited about it that I've convinced 2 of my friends to do their first tri's this year. We're going to start with John Tanner (yes, the one with the icy cold water) and my plan is to progress to an Oly this year.

May I please join your group? I want to improve my times this year.

I may be in your neck of the woods. Do you train at Lifetime?

Edited by meclavea 2009-01-25 8:49 PM
2009-01-25 8:20 PM
in reply to: #1928293

User image

Master
meclavea - 2009-01-25 8:58 PM Hey Jonathan, Last year was my first season. I'm a Clyde and slow, but I improved throughout the year. I've gotten so excited about it that I've convinced 2 of my friends to do their first tri's this year. We're going to start with John Tanner (yes, the one with the icy cold water) and my plan is to progress to an Oly this year. May I please join your group? I want to improve my times this year. I may be in your neck of the woods. Do you train at Lifetime? Mark E.

Yes, I train at LTF.  I also did Tanner last year and am going back this year.  Three words: pee in wetsuit.  

Absolutly you can join the group.  Welcome!
2009-01-25 8:48 PM
in reply to: #1928319

User image

Regular
Alpharetta, GA
Haha, no kidding about the wetsuit warmup technique! I remember some crazy people did that race without a wetsuit.

I'll be curious how the swim in Kona compared to John Tanner State Park, GA. :-)

Thanks for the welcome and for giving your time!

Edited by meclavea 2009-01-25 8:49 PM
2009-01-25 10:09 PM
in reply to: #1927587

User image

Regular
Middletown

jonathan22 - 2009-01-25 8:32 AM
chris1214 - 2009-01-21 6:52 PM Hey all... Quick question again.  I know it is highly advised to not wear the forerunner 305 in the water.  So how does everyone accurately time your lap times? Did you purchase a cheap water proof watch just for swimming or something else?  Thanks in advance

Thanks for the help all... what watch if u don't mind me asking?  I know they have 50, 100, 150 lap watches.  What is recommended?

2009-01-25 10:48 PM
in reply to: #1928446

I have a 50 lap model. However I hate to push the buttons, it throws off my rhythm, and swimming is not my strong suit so any annoyance is really bad.
2009-01-25 10:57 PM
in reply to: #1928518

User image

Regular
Middletown
Has anyone ever tried or heard anything about the sportcount unit?  It looks like something that would not break your rhythm while using.  
2009-01-25 11:35 PM
in reply to: #1928343

User image

Master
meclavea - 2009-01-25 9:48 PM Haha, no kidding about the wetsuit warmup technique! I remember some crazy people did that race without a wetsuit. I'll be curious how the swim in Kona compared to John Tanner State Park, GA. :-) Thanks for the welcome and for giving your time!

You could probably guess this but Kona and Tanner don't even compare.  I did the Tanner swim in under 10 mins.  I was in a wetsuit, it was freshwater and I caught an amazing draft that day.  Kona on the other hand was saltwater (I don't like to swim in saltwater), I wore a swimskin (but they are not boyant like a wetsuit is), I swam away from people so I wouldn't get kicked, we had a sideways current (which means I swam a little off course).  Kona was a 1 hour 14 min swim.  

I know I'll have to do another saltwater swim some day but I choose me races to avoid it at all possible.  
2009-01-25 11:36 PM
in reply to: #1928446

User image

Master
chris1214 - 2009-01-25 11:09 PM

jonathan22 - 2009-01-25 8:32 AM

Thanks for the help all... what watch if u don't mind me asking?  I know they have 50, 100, 150 lap watches.  What is recommended?

I have the 50 lap model.  I'm sure there are reasons, but I can't see a reason for me to count over 50 laps.  
2009-01-25 11:40 PM
in reply to: #1928527

User image

Master
chris1214 - 2009-01-25 11:57 PM Has anyone ever tried or heard anything about the sportcount unit?  It looks like something that would not break your rhythm while using.  

I've thought about getting it but then again I have enough gadgets.  

I use a few other tricks to count big sets.  

One is to just know your times for each distance. I swim a 100 in around 1:30.  So from there, I know a 200 takes me about 3:00 and so forth.

Another trick I use is to take a few pennies and put them on the side of the pool.  The first penny is the start and the second penny gets moved 1 tile over for each 100 (or 200) or whatever.  This is helpful when I get up to 800+ yards in distance.  

2009-01-25 11:43 PM

User image

Master
All:

A question for this week, what is your biggest fear with respect to triathlon?  

My biggest fear is the uncontrollables before race day.  Like this weekend, I had a 1/2 marathon planned for yesterday (Sunday) but got some stomach bug on Friday night/Saturday morning.  It was my first official DNS (not counting IMFL which I paid for but did Kona instead).  Sucked.  For me, it wasn't too big of a deal since I have a few more long races on the schedule but it's a pretty real fear that you do all the training and then can't race because of a last minute sickness.  

2009-01-26 7:43 AM
in reply to: #1928557

User image

Master
Charlotte

jonathan22 - 2009-01-26 12:43 AM All:

My biggest fear is the uncontrollables before race day.  Like this weekend, I had a 1/2 marathon planned for yesterday (Sunday) but got some stomach bug on Friday night/Saturday morning.  It was my first official DNS (not counting IMFL which I paid for but did Kona instead).  Sucked.  For me, it wasn't too big of a deal since I have a few more long races on the schedule but it's a pretty real fear that you do all the training and then can't race because of a last minute sickness.  

My biggest fear:  not having my morning coffee kick in before the start and having to "go" on the course!  Ya'll know you are scared of it...just to afraid to admit it!  This is an actual fear.  I get up like 2 1/2 hours early on race day to make sure the coffee has run it's course!

My 2nd biggest fear: Starting the swim out too fast and bonking in the water.

My 3rd biggest fear: overuse of my knees.  I had IT band issues (bad enough that I had to go to the Ortho doc) last spring.  After 9 months of of pain free running, on my 7 miler Saturday, the other knee started giving me a twinge on the outside of my knee.  :-(

2009-01-26 7:47 AM

User image

Master
Guilford, CT

Right now, my biggest fears are:

1. The unknown - Having not done any Tri's, or any races, I try to read everything in hopes I have all the bases covered and no big surprises hit me on race day.
  2. Flat tire on bike half way through the 2nd leg.
  3. Finishing the race in the way back of the pack with just a handful of people 20 or 30 years older than me.  I'm training like crazy for the next few months so the sprint shouldn't be an issue but I'm still hesitant on picking up an olympic distance to "try".
2009-01-26 7:57 AM

Charlotte

My biggest fear right now is that I won't actually keep up the necessary training to actually get a Tri race done.  I have never given up, but there is just a lot to learn and a lot of training to do.  I've not done a lot of biking and I've done almost no swimming so there is a lot in front of me to accomplish.  I'm enjoying the training that I am doing, but when I'm out there doing it, it sure seems like I'm a long way from being ready.  The one thing I have going for me is I've done long "unattainable" running races so I know that given time and effort I can make it, but right now, I don't have anyone to train with other than the running leg so hitting the bike and swimming legs will be my worry until I actually get it done.

A note about getting sick before a race - the first marathon I signed up for was the Disney World Marathon in Jan '07.  Unfortunately, I got sick over New Year's that year and when the time came to go to Orlando, I couldn't even get out of bed.  I went to the doctor instead that day and found out I had sinusitus and bronchitis.  Probably about the sickest I've ever been.  But what can you?  I sure wasn't running 26.2 miles that weekend.  Luckily, I had done the Charlotte marathon the previous month so I at least got one in.  1 week after the DNS at Disney, my leg cracked (shin stress fracture) and it took me 14 months before I could run regularly again......  

2009-01-26 8:19 PM

User image

Regular
Middletown

jonathan22 - 2009-01-26 12:43 AM All:

My biggest fear is investing all the time to training only have an injury just before the race.  I have had a run in with shin splints once before and it set me back a while.  

2009-01-26 9:46 PM

User image

Regular
Alpharetta, GA
Wow, 10 minutes at Tanner! You're a shark.

My biggest fears at this point:
*Overdoing it coming out of the water. This year I need to work to keep my heart rate in check while moving to transition. I think I always try to get to T1 too fast. By slowing down, I can keep myself from freaking out and focus on what I need to do next (e.g. unzip wetsuit and pull halfway down, goggles and cap in hand, glasses on, helmet next. . . etc.)

Here are some close contenders:
1) Getting slower in my times.
2) Not having spare water. In one of my first races last year, I was so gung ho to get out of the transition area that I mounted too early, almost smashed the guy in front of me, and went over my bars. Yes, I'm a rookie. Worst part is that I did the entire bike without any hydration cause it all spilled out of my aero-drink bottle.
3) Preparation overkill. I know preparation helps, but I'm pretty sure I drive my wife crazy the week before and day of the race.
2009-01-27 5:17 AM

New user

My biggest fear is losing motivation. I think last year (my first) I did not set my goals high enough and ended up repeating the same uninspiring routine before, during and after the races. I'm setting my goals higher this year, and will sign up for my A race early.

Second only to the above is my fear of injury, especially my knees. I'm setting aside significant time this year, including a bodyflow class with my wife (DO NOT laugh,) to stretch my hams and get more flexible in general. I'm strength training more on my legs this year than last, and I'm also trying to drop 15-20 lbs. Hopefully all these will contribute to my knee and calf cramping issues.

Finally, I have a general fear of open water swims. I don't get it either. I've been swimming open water all my life, milers at boy scout camp every summer, distance swimming in school, lake and river swimming as a councelor. I've was a life guard for a two summers at a river where I would take swims up and back towards the falls. I just don't understand why I can get nervous when I'm in open water, but I do, and it seems to be worse when I'm alone. i can even convince myself to swim faster in a pool because of TOTALLY IRRATIONAL thoughts. I try to just tell myself it's irrational, your fine, noone has EVER been attacked by a shark in a pool or river or lake, just focus ahead and stroke. totally irrational, but I have to do this to keep my heart rate down and maintain form.
2009-01-27 5:21 AM
in reply to: #1928556

New user

for the lap counting question, check these bad boys out:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/technology/4626823.stm
2009-01-27 8:00 AM

My biggest fear is having people show up to cheer me on... and to finish DFL.
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Jonathan22's mentor group - CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 15