BT Development Mentor Program Archives » WittyCityGirl's Group - FULL =) Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 23

2009-04-22 2:44 PM
in reply to: #2072537

User image

Extreme Veteran
Houston, TX
Subject: RE: WittyCityGirl's Group - FULL =)
It's the same weather in Houston.  I'm super excited about it!  I don't know how you guys that live in the north do it....I would be inside all the time. 

2009-04-22 4:35 PM
in reply to: #2099968

User image

Veteran
i've never been one to pay attention to my hr; i usually pay attention to how i'm feeling and that governs if i speed up or slow down.  it's probably not the best way to do it but it seems to work for me.  i know i'm capable of keeping it under 10 and would like to see it at 9 consistently but that may take some time.

it's been a wet, windy few days here but they say the temp will see 70's by the w/e.  yipee!
2009-04-22 4:40 PM
in reply to: #2103323

User image

Veteran

we might see 70's Smile 

you get used to the cold, gray, months - you just wear alot of layers and remove as the day warms up...right.

i actually got to run outside on saturday for the first time since november.  then the temp dropped and the rain came so it was back to the treadmill.

2009-04-22 5:02 PM

User image

Upstate NY
Subject: Warm weather, finally!!
Yeah we are suppose to get into the 80's this weekend, WOOHOO spring is here!! :-)

Too bad I am going to miss most of it on Saturday, going to a wedding.

Also on Saturday I am going to get a proper bike fitting.  Has anyone have done it?  Did you notice a difference?  Anything I should ask or mention to them?  The store offers a fit specifically for people doing triathlons, see how that goes.  My main goal is to be comfortable and efficient. 
2009-04-22 5:51 PM

User image

Expert
Austin, TX
I would love some 80s right now...we've hit 96 the past 2 days! 

Robby, I have gotten a couple of bike fits and it can be really worth it.  They will sit you on the bike and slowly keep making little adjustments...this is the key, take your time and really spin for a few minutes after each adj.  Let your legs get the feel of it and then be honest with them on how it feels.  If you don't speak up then they will think everything is fine.  One thing I learned to do...after you get the bike set just like you like it, take some black electrical tape (my bike fitter showed me this so they might have some at your store) and mark where your seat height is and your saddle forward/back position.  This way if it ever gets out of whack, you know where to move it back to. 

Once you get the bike set up just right you will notice a difference. Enjoy it!
2009-04-22 7:41 PM
in reply to: #2103323

User image

Master
Dunedin
Betsy0706 - 2009-04-22 3:44 PM It's the same weather in Houston.  I'm super excited about it!  I don't know how you guys that live in the north do it....I would be inside all the time. 

I don't know how you folks down south do it with all that HOT weather?!!!  I was overheated doing a 1/2 marathon in upper 40* weather.  I probably would have passed out if it got over 60! 

2009-04-22 7:44 PM
in reply to: #2103571

User image

Master
Dunedin
oshunluvah - 2009-04-22 5:35 PM i've never been one to pay attention to my hr; i usually pay attention to how i'm feeling and that governs if i speed up or slow down.  it's probably not the best way to do it but it seems to work for me.  i know i'm capable of keeping it under 10 and would like to see it at 9 consistently but that may take some time.

it's been a wet, windy few days here but they say the temp will see 70's by the w/e.  yipee!

I bought a Garmin to keep track of my HR specifically because that seems to be what the cool kids in triathlon and running do (despite being told in an exercise physiology course that HR really isn't the best gauge).  I used Garmy to race a 10k and then did one without it, I was about 10 seconds faster without it, probably because I wasn't carrying the extra weight! Those things are huuuge! 
2009-04-22 7:46 PM
in reply to: #2103585

User image

Master
Dunedin
oshunluvah - 2009-04-22 5:40 PM

we might see 70's Smile 

you get used to the cold, gray, months - you just wear alot of layers and remove as the day warms up...right.

i actually got to run outside on saturday for the first time since november.  then the temp dropped and the rain came so it was back to the treadmill.

We have a January Freeze 10k series here and FREEZE we did! I think 3 of the 4 races were in 15 degree weather!  I almost cut out of them, but figured if I can't do a race not feeling my toes for 50 minutes how am I going to do a HIM in the middle of summer?? Just goes to show how much of this triathlon prep is really just mental training! 
2009-04-22 7:49 PM
in reply to: #2103623

User image

Master
Dunedin
Subject: RE: Warm weather, finally!!
RobbyN210 - 2009-04-22 6:02 PM Yeah we are suppose to get into the 80's this weekend, WOOHOO spring is here!! :-)

Too bad I am going to miss most of it on Saturday, going to a wedding.

Also on Saturday I am going to get a proper bike fitting.  Has anyone have done it?  Did you notice a difference?  Anything I should ask or mention to them?  The store offers a fit specifically for people doing triathlons, see how that goes.  My main goal is to be comfortable and efficient. 

Having a pro do it is the way to go.  I had a guy whip out the plum line and got me on a trainer with my bike and the whole nine yards...THEN I started fiddling with it.  My shoulders couldn't handle all my body weight in the position my fitting put me in, so I adjusted.  I brought my bike in for a tune up and the poor guy asked WTF I did to my poor bike!  I explained and he said that I really should work centimeter by centimeter on getting my seat up more.

Long story short, it's a good idea to get fitted.  You'll just need to be refitted if you progress to aerobars. 
2009-04-22 7:53 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran

Quick question for the group.  How many of you have increased your workouts during the start of the tri season?  Within the last 2 wks I've probably increased my workouts 20-25%.  I'm not sure if i'm over doing it but so far I feel pretty good.

2009-04-22 9:05 PM

Veteran
Ontario

My training more or less STARTED with the tri season.  My winter was spent in the Rockies, so all I was doing was snowboarding and snowshoeing (and hiding indoors). 

I think its a good idea to increase it a bit, especially leading up to an event.  Most training guides I have seen put the peak volume around 2 weeks before an event.

2009-04-23 9:09 AM
in reply to: #2103916

User image

Extreme Veteran
Houston, TX
Haha...  I guess your body adjusts to whatever it is used to.  When I was training for the marathon in the fall/winter, anything below 40 and I had my tights on! 

I love, love, love my Garmin!  Best investment ever for me!  (You get used to the bulkiness.)

WittyCityGirl - 2009-04-22 7:41 PM
Betsy0706 - 2009-04-22 3:44 PM It's the same weather in Houston.  I'm super excited about it!  I don't know how you guys that live in the north do it....I would be inside all the time. 

I don't know how you folks down south do it with all that HOT weather?!!!  I was overheated doing a 1/2 marathon in upper 40* weather.  I probably would have passed out if it got over 60! 
2009-04-23 10:43 AM

Veteran
Ontario

I use a cheapo walmart HR watch.  Its not bulky and its actually wearable whenever you want (although I only wear it running).

The downside is it does not actively take your HR (you have to push a button), and it doesn't record it.  So its really only good for if you want to what you are at, but if you do it every KM or so you get a decent idea of your average HR.

2009-04-23 11:35 AM

User image

Master
Dunedin
Alright folks!!! 

Some folks are already into their racing season and others have the racing season just ahead.

How are things going?  What are your worries?  Where can I and the rest of the group help you out?  

2009-04-23 11:39 AM

User image

Pro
Bartlett, TN

I have been doing my Olympic training for a few months already. The only problem I have is that I was already alittle tired when I did my last race in March, so I do not quite have the whole taper thing figured out.

I have a Garmin with GPS I use while running and lvoe it. Nice to be able to just get out and run and not have to drive your route or map it out to get a distance!

2009-04-23 12:58 PM
in reply to: #2105525

User image

Extreme Veteran
Houston, TX
Any tips on how to keep my HR down before the race?  I know Sara gave us some advice on how she warms up before getting in the cold water.   (thanks for that)  I've heard some people like to visualize their race.  Do any of you guys do that?  If so, does it help?

WittyCityGirl - 2009-04-23 11:35 AM Alright folks!!! 

Some folks are already into their racing season and others have the racing season just ahead.

How are things going?  What are your worries?  Where can I and the rest of the group help you out?  

2009-04-23 10:22 PM
in reply to: #2103963

User image

Master
Dunedin
trying1 - 2009-04-22 8:53 PM

Quick question for the group.  How many of you have increased your workouts during the start of the tri season?  Within the last 2 wks I've probably increased my workouts 20-25%.  I'm not sure if i'm over doing it but so far I feel pretty good.

I've typically seen it suggested to increase by 10%.  I have the hardest time increasing my running workouts.  I'll have to check my training but if the start of my tri season is my first race then two weeks before I'm getting prepped to taper (unless it is a sprint race, maybe Oly
2009-04-23 10:28 PM
in reply to: #2105789

User image

Master
Dunedin
I used it A LOT when I was a competitive swimmer. In combination with progressive muscle relaxation it is helpful for a lot of people.  The night before my races, when I'm in bed, I close my eyes and visualize as much of the race as I can (with sights, sounds, smells, touch sensations).  I think about what it'll look like walking up to the transition area, what I'm wearing, how I set up my stuff, what I do for warm up, how the start of the swim is, transitions, etc, etc, etc.  

I've mostly read about staying positive during the visualization-being the first person throughout the race and winning and "seeing" yourself be perfect at each leg and in the transitions.  I like to also see myself have a problem (flat tire) and then picture myself getting through THAT flawlessly.  Helps with confidence!

If you need more info I can whip out my sports psychology textbook.  I had some stuff in there.

I've heard some people like to visualize their race.  Do any of you guys do that?  If so, does it help?

2009-04-24 12:28 AM
in reply to: #2105525

User image

Twin Falls, ID (not from here, I just live here)
My training is going fairly well, I think. I have so appreciated having BT and this forum to help encourage and educate me along the way. I need to push myself a little more, and find some time (and a pool) to start swimming, but other than that I feel good. Which is nice.

Goals for the rest of this week: don't miss a training session.
Goals for next week: move from interval run/walking to running for the whole time.

One question I have is this: Has anyone had to deal with people be less than enthusiastic and supportive of your goal to complete a triathlon? I know I can do it, I'm working hard so that I CAN do it, I'm just getting discouraged. Bleck.
2009-04-24 9:10 AM
in reply to: #2107184

User image

Veteran
do not get discouraged.  i am very new to this sport, haven't yet competed, but decided in january that i could take on this challenge, you can too.  my partner is very supportive - until it conflicts with her plans and then i get the 'why do you need to do this' dialogue.  sometimes i cave but, more often than not i stand firm.  these conflicts force me to look at myself and remind me of how great i feel and how i am mastering the ability to see through my b.s. and get honest with myself.  everyday i tell myself that if i do just one workout, even if it's not the scheduled one, i am ahead of the game.  as time passes i am getting stronger about my committment to me.  if you can remember that it's all about you and not the naysayers you will succeed.

have a great day Cool
2009-04-24 9:33 AM
in reply to: #2107184

User image

Upstate NY

For my first triathlon I didn't tell any of my friends or family until a week or two before the race.  It is a REALLY bad habit of mine to keep things quiet because I am afraid of failing or having people be negative.  (way to keep positive huh??)

The way I'd think of it is to do it and finish.  I know how much it sucks to have people discourage you, but you know you can do it (we know you can do it).  Just think of the feeling you'll have crossing the finish line and telling people you completed a triathlon :-

Good Luck! 

2009-04-24 12:02 PM

User image

Pro
Bartlett, TN

Jae, I have people try and crack on me alot about racing. Last season I got one comment like this " I looked on the list of finishers and I looked down and down and down until I finally got to your name". That pissed me off royally! I still today will think about that comment and the way it was said while training. It fuels me and fires me up.

My wife put it into perspctive this way. Those people are jealous. Plain and simple. For whatever reason, they secretly want to do a race like we do but they are afraid of something. So use them only for motivation and tell them next time they give you grief, say "Thanks, I can use that when I am out on my 30 mile ride to motivate me!" (insert favorite name calling here)

Funny thing though, the guy that said that to me last year, called me about 2 weeks ago asking about a race, saying he was thinking about trying it!  LOL

2009-04-24 12:36 PM
in reply to: #2107083

User image

Extreme Veteran
Houston, TX
Thanks Sara.  I appreciate the feedback. 

WittyCityGirl - 2009-04-23 10:28 PM I used it A LOT when I was a competitive swimmer. In combination with progressive muscle relaxation it is helpful for a lot of people.  The night before my races, when I'm in bed, I close my eyes and visualize as much of the race as I can (with sights, sounds, smells, touch sensations).  I think about what it'll look like walking up to the transition area, what I'm wearing, how I set up my stuff, what I do for warm up, how the start of the swim is, transitions, etc, etc, etc.  

I've mostly read about staying positive during the visualization-being the first person throughout the race and winning and "seeing" yourself be perfect at each leg and in the transitions.  I like to also see myself have a problem (flat tire) and then picture myself getting through THAT flawlessly.  Helps with confidence!

If you need more info I can whip out my sports psychology textbook.  I had some stuff in there.

I've heard some people like to visualize their race.  Do any of you guys do that?  If so, does it help?

2009-04-24 12:42 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Houston, TX
Unfortunately Jessica you will get some negative comments from others.  (They just don't understand the discipline it takes and are jealous!)  Like the guys said though..it's not about the others..it's about you!  You are accomplishing a goal and you should feel great about that!  I've found most triathletes are extrememly encouraging (even ones you are competing against on race day)!  That's one of things I find so great about the sport!  No matter if you finish first or last...someone is there cheering for you! 

You CAN do this!
2009-04-24 5:36 PM

User image

Expert
Austin, TX
Jessica,

I went through something very similar with my wife.  It wasn't that she didn't want me to do triathlons, it was more about losing time with me that I would be spending training.  I just had to talk to her and let her know that this is something I really need to do for me, and that it in no way reflects how I felt about her or our time together.  I tried to ease into the training and not do something every day. 

Eventually she really came around, especially after she went to my first race.  I really think it motivated her.  Now she has become a running/workout machine (I am trying to get her to bike and swim but she has no desire...yet!).  We now occasionally run together and planning our workouts/days has really become so easy and 2nd nature.  It is just part of our lives. 

And just remember, how many people in the entire world have ever completed a triathlon?  I have not been able to find a completely accurate number, but the guesses I have seen have put it at several million.  Hmmmm...so several million out of a world of billions...I say that we are in a very elite group, and proud of it!!!  So welcome to the group!

Oh, and my goals for being in this group....I am mostly doing a similar sprint season that I did last year, but ending with my first ever Olympic.  My goal is to get faster and pick up any little bits of help I can get.  I also enjoy helping out anyway I can.  I use these groups to keep me motivated because I know other people are watching!
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » WittyCityGirl's Group - FULL =) Rss Feed  

of 23