BT Development Mentor Program Archives » MOMO - (CLOSED) IN TRAINING MODE Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 16

2009-04-29 10:10 AM
in reply to: #2111225

Veteran
Subject: RE: MOMO - (CLOSED) IN TRAINING MODE
How do you carb load properly when you still need to get your protein in? Is it a gradual thing throughout the week in terms of percentage?

2009-04-29 10:11 AM
in reply to: #2118114

User image

Master
Woodbridge , Virginia
monicamm68 - 2009-04-29 11:05 AM

I got the kinetic sprint on May 10th and Breezy Point on the 31st. Really looking forward to getting my tri season in gear!

Nice.. hope all is well. how is the foot?
2009-04-29 10:16 AM
in reply to: #2118140

Veteran
I'm nervous and excited at the same time. I think it is because I actually have a training base this time around even though running has been on and off due to foot pain. As of right now, my surgeon is pretty pleased because I can run 20-30 minutes every other day instead of every 3rd or 4th day. He does want me to increase the running, but now is not the right time to be doing that because race day is coming up!
2009-04-30 7:31 AM
in reply to: #2073413

User image

Master
Woodbridge , Virginia
It's time for the First MO Challenge "May Challenge". Those that are new, this is a challenge to meet some pretty attainable goals.. It helps with planning your training for a week. There's no reward for completing the challenge other than confidence, motivation, and conditioning.. All good things, Right?!!! Lets Get Some!!

Since I have a broad group experienced and inexperienced .. i set up a range..

Swim 5000 to 10000m (min of 1250m a week)
Bike 50 to 120 Miles (min of 13 miles a week)
Run 20 to 60 Miles (min of 5 miles a week)

I have also noticed.. that days off aren't a priority.. So, you have to at least 4 days off.. (can't do them all at once.) vacations don't count. One more thing.. you must do a cross training exercise at least once a week.. (this helps so you don't plateau...)

At the end of the month we will check numbers..

The purpose of the challenge: 1. get you guys training 2. give me an idea of how to help you train 3. gets you asking me questions important to training progress. 4. help you attain personal goals you have for yourselves (ie weightloss, conditioning, getting faster, running further, etc)

Edited by momo 2009-04-30 7:34 AM
2009-04-30 7:51 AM

User image

Regular
I have a half marathon training question for anyone in the group who has done one (or many)...

My first half marathon is a week and a half away. This is the first time that I have ever been running such long distances, so I don't  know if this is normal...I have been feeling completely zonked after my long training runs and it usually lasts about 2 days. I have no desire to workout and I even have noticed that my appetite decreases. I kinda suspect that my nutrition\fueling is the issue here but any advice would be appreciated.

If you have done more than one half mary, does the fatigue go away with subsequent races? and am I just experiencing some newbie issues?

RGR
2009-04-30 8:45 AM
in reply to: #2120229

User image

Master
Woodbridge , Virginia
RunGirlRun - 2009-04-30 8:51 AM

I have a half marathon training question for anyone in the group who has done one (or many)...

My first half marathon is a week and a half away. This is the first time that I have ever been running such long distances, so I don't  know if this is normal...I have been feeling completely zonked after my long training runs and it usually lasts about 2 days. I have no desire to workout and I even have noticed that my appetite decreases. I kinda suspect that my nutrition\fueling is the issue here but any advice would be appreciated.

If you have done more than one half mary, does the fatigue go away with subsequent races? and am I just experiencing some newbie issues?

RGR

Well, K
for one thing it sounds like you are not getting enough calories in for your long runs.. you burn somewhere between 1200- 1500 calories running 6 miles. so are you pre-loading with the intent of running long. that could be reason number 1.. another is.. you have been quiet active over the last few months (soccer, training, and running races). so this could be a sign that you aren't getting enough rest... sleep, days off, and even stress could cause this.. and lastly you could have peaked already.. meaning.. you already hit your apex.. so your body is in recovery, which why rest is so important.. (this is not saying that you won't do well in your half). this is when race planning is so important. one more thing.. you could be getting sick.. sucks, but could be a possibility. we all have good week and bad weeks in training.

This is quiet common.. no worries.. it goes away.. you will be fine, trust me.

So what to do??!!! I would take the today and tomorrow off (thurs and fri). run short on sat, and a long run on sun.. (no more long runs until your race).. start your taper mon 6, tues 4, wed swim, thurs 3, fri off, sat 2 (easy), sun race. don't for get to take in extra carbs.. starting today if you haven't already.

hope this helps a little bit.

mo

2009-04-30 7:57 PM

Regular
I love challenges, so I am up for it. I am trying to get my volume up in May so that I can run 6-8 miles no problem, and I rented a wetsuit for my next event, so open water swims will be my next swimming challenge.
2009-05-01 10:22 AM
in reply to: #2120395

User image

Regular
Hi Team Mo!

I will do my best to summarize but I approached my dietitian last night and she provided some very helpful insight, along with Mo's advice, to my question about being fatigued after my half marathon training runs. The info she gave to me was (obviously) specifically intended for me and is all nutrition-based suggestions but I think that the general idea could be adopted for you all to use.

1. Get your iron levels tested to ensure that there isn't a deficiency. A symptom of iron deficiency is FATIGUE!

2. Add additional calories to your nutrition plan if you exceed 90 minutes of training. This number may vary depending on your basal metabolic rate (the amount of energy expended while at rest) and your level of activity I think the gist of it is, make sure that you are eating enough to fuel your workouts or your body can go into a 'starvation' mode. For example, my BMR is 1500 calories. With my level of activity (1 to 2 hrs of exercise per day), my caloric intake should be about 2500 but I am also trying to lose some weight, so minus 500 calories for a weight-loss of 1-2 pounds per week. This gives me a range of 1800-200 calories to consume on most days but if I do a 2 and a half hour run, I have to add 400-500 calories, so I don't fall into a deficite.  Again, I want to stress that these numbers are specific to me and it is going to vary person to person. However, I am sure that there are websites out there that can help you calculate this info, if you are interested in finding out.

3. Fuel properly after a workout. This is so important! Good food ideas are beans, tofu, soya nuts, smoothies.

4. Use a variety of grains such as quinoa, wild\brown rice, amaranth, barley.

Before I started seeing someone to help me with my diet, I was a total neophyte when it came to eating properly. There is a lot of information out there and it can be totally overwhelming. On the other hand, nutrition is sooooo important depending on what your performance goals are. I hope that info might help at least a few of you in this group.

RGR
2009-05-02 11:18 AM
in reply to: #2123538

User image

Veteran
Indianapolis, Indiana
RGR,

I just finished my second HM of the year today! Smile I have not had fatigue issues, except the few hours after the race. I had to learn to adjust my diet post race since I burn about 2500 cal for a HM and you need to get some of that energy back in your body. I stick to fruit, water and usually beans when I get home (although those chips and cookies always look good). 

I have known people with fatigue problems which usually comes from two things - One is anemia and the need to supplement with iron. Try and use the extended release tabs as they are easier on your digestive system and also take iron with oj as it helps with absorption. The other cause of fatigue can also be hypothyroidism. Our Thyroid controls our metabolism and can be high or low in certain individuals. You need to check with your doc for a very easy blood test. You may want to just have them check your iron and TsH (thyroid hormone test) at the same time. Of course nutrition can also be a problem, but that type of fatigue is usually short lived unless you are consistenly undereating and have low blood sugar.  I would really recommend the test so you can rule it out or take action as they are easily corrected.

Hope that helps!
GumbleX (Troy
2009-05-02 3:24 PM
in reply to: #2125481

User image

ivy, va
RGR, first of all, major kudos for realizing the issue and asking advice.  And thank you for sharing the nutrition information with us.  I've learned not getting enough calories will also suppress your immune system.  You may be onto something.

Although it sounds like it may be nutrition, as Mo & GX mentioned, it could be a lot of different issues, or combination of factors both physically and mentally.  How did you feel accomplishing such a long run?  Was it great, or a letdown somehow?  What did it represent to you?

This is all such an incredible learning process - not only about the sports, but about ourselves.

2009-05-02 3:25 PM
in reply to: #2125481

User image

ivy, va
GumbleX your second HM this year?!?  Fantastic!!  How was it?

2009-05-02 3:27 PM
in reply to: #2120190

User image

ivy, va
Mo, thanks for putting together the May Team Mo Challenge.  I'm still on the swim hiatus, but... I'm in!  Let's get it done!
2009-05-02 11:05 PM
in reply to: #2125745

User image

Veteran
Indianapolis, Indiana
Fun now that it is overWink. The weather was great and I ran a few minutes faster than I did last month, but was hoping for more progress. Unfortunately, I injured my foot while running in Rome last week and I need to take a rest from running. The tendon on the bottom gets pretty sore when I run on it and I really felt it today. Will be relegating myself to the bike and pool the next few weeks.

I don't about others, but it felt like I needed about 2-3 miles to really warm up and find my groove. After that It's easier to set my pace and put things on cruise control.  This run is the last big run before getting into tri-season. Have a long outdoor sprint coming up at the end of the month. 

What are the next races everyone has? 
2009-05-03 8:03 PM

User image

Regular
Thank you, everyone! Your responses are all really great . GX, you hit the nail on the head...I actually was diagnosed with hyperthyroidism about 3 years ago but as far as I know, it is under control. Unless, the increase in activity may be cause for my thyroid medication to have to be adjusted? Do any of you have any experience with hyperthyroidism and physical activity? Anyways, I will be booking an appointment with my doc a.s.a.p. I don't want anything to slow me down, especially since I am building such incredible momentum. 

Mo, I wasn't able to do my long run today. Is it too late if I do it tomorrow?

RGR

Edited by RunGirlRun 2009-05-03 8:56 PM
2009-05-04 5:35 AM
in reply to: #2127220

User image

Veteran
Indianapolis, Indiana
RGR,

I don't have any known thyroid conditions, but I do have several family members who do and your discussion about fatigue sounded very familiar. I am not a doctor, but am in the healthcare industry which means I am always curious and learning.

It would be very helpful to catch up with your physician. Make sure you ask about the iron too - as this can sometimes be another symptom that accompanies HT. Make sure you do talk about your activity. Even with little or no activity your body can undergo changes that require medication or adjustments in medication. Three years is a long time so now is a good time. Depending on your body, you may want/need to make adjustments in the offseason. Just talk to your doctor - or find another if they tell you to come back in three years. Best of luck.
2009-05-04 11:33 AM
in reply to: #2127699

User image

ivy, va
I have HT.  GX is right.  My endo & gp suggest a tsh yearly, unless I "sense" I'm out of whack in which case I'm tested sooner.  A simple blood test can check for a variety of factors.

2009-05-04 5:32 PM
in reply to: #2128556

User image

ivy, va
Hey Team Mo,

Noticed some haven't posted pictures to their profile/blog yet.  Found this thread in BT if anyone needs help with how it's done:

http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=46819&posts=4&highlight=picture%20blog&highlightmode=1#M464044

2009-05-05 7:45 AM
in reply to: #2128556

User image

Regular
wisewilma - 2009-05-04 12:33 PM I have HT.  GX is right.  My endo & gp suggest a tsh yearly, unless I "sense" I'm out of whack in which case I'm tested sooner.  A simple blood test can check for a variety of factors.

Thank you so much, wisewilma! It's reassuring to know that at the very least I am not alone with my HT. I have made an appointment with my endocrinologist and will have some bloodwork done a.s.a.p.

It's just so frustrating right now! There just seems to be so many possibilities as to what the issue could be (diet, HT, allergies). Has your HT ever effected you this badly?
2009-05-05 11:21 AM
in reply to: #2130614

User image

Master
Woodbridge , Virginia
RunGirlRun - 2009-05-05 8:45 AM

wisewilma - 2009-05-04 12:33 PM I have HT.  GX is right.  My endo & gp suggest a tsh yearly, unless I "sense" I'm out of whack in which case I'm tested sooner.  A simple blood test can check for a variety of factors.

Thank you so much, wisewilma! It's reassuring to know that at the very least I am not alone with my HT. I have made an appointment with my endocrinologist and will have some bloodwork done a.s.a.p.

It's just so frustrating right now! There just seems to be so many possibilities as to what the issue could be (diet, HT, allergies). Has your HT ever effected you this badly?

you are not alone.. you have us... keep us posted on whats going on.
2009-05-05 12:39 PM
in reply to: #2131323

User image

Regular
you are not alone.. you have us... keep us posted on whats going on.

Thanks, Mo. It really means a lot to hear you say that.

RGR
2009-05-05 1:10 PM
in reply to: #2130614

User image

ivy, va
RGR, no I can't say it's affected me in such a negative way.  Glad you're getting checked out.  You will find your answers soon.  I'm sure it's tough but hang in there!

2009-05-05 1:26 PM
in reply to: #2131731

User image

ivy, va
Later this week I'll be running/training w an olympic runner.  Next week I'll be spending a few hours with a cardiologist (the two are not related incidents!). 

If anyone has questions they'd like me to ask, please post or shoot me a pm.
2009-05-05 1:34 PM

User image

Master
Woodbridge , Virginia
This would be a prime opportunity to get some running questions answered as well as cardio health..

come on guys, there has to be some questions about this stuff..

running form?
foot strike?
training approach just starting?
how to get faster?
best way to run longer?

overexertion.. of cardio system
VO2 max testing
do and don't just starting out.
HR training, the importance of knowing VO2 and CO2 max for proper HR training.

there's tons of questions D. I guess all you can retain.. i give a summary of your answers if possible..

these are the questions i get most.. just want to make sure i telling everyone correct info.

thanks
mo

TRI HARD

Edited by momo 2009-05-05 1:36 PM
2009-05-05 4:00 PM
in reply to: #2131815

User image

Extreme Veteran
Addison
momo - 2009-05-05 1:34 PM This would be a prime opportunity to get some running questions answered as well as cardio health.. come on guys, there has to be some questions about this stuff.. running form? foot strike? training approach just starting? how to get faster? best way to run longer? overexertion.. of cardio system VO2 max testing do and don't just starting out. HR training, the importance of knowing VO2 and CO2 max for proper HR training. there's tons of questions D. I guess all you can retain.. i give a summary of your answers if possible.. these are the questions i get most.. just want to make sure i telling everyone correct info. thanks mo TRI HARD

I'll go! =)

Running is not my forte and out of the 3 events is definitely my weakness. I have very flat/wide feet no arch and yes, I've been fitted for running shoes; however, the soles of my feet still hurt (right at where my arch would be if I had one). I'm pretty sure it is my form. I had a personal trainer (collegiate track star) look at my run a while back and helped me with my form so I no longer have hip pain (lengthening my stride helped that go away). Also, any training starting points would be greatly appreciated because I have absolutely no running background (except from dogs).
2009-05-05 4:47 PM
in reply to: #2132306

User image

Master
Woodbridge , Virginia
tnguyen1 - 2009-05-05 5:00 PM

momo - 2009-05-05 1:34 PM This would be a prime opportunity to get some running questions answered as well as cardio health.. come on guys, there has to be some questions about this stuff.. running form? foot strike? training approach just starting? how to get faster? best way to run longer? overexertion.. of cardio system VO2 max testing do and don't just starting out. HR training, the importance of knowing VO2 and CO2 max for proper HR training. there's tons of questions D. I guess all you can retain.. i give a summary of your answers if possible.. these are the questions i get most.. just want to make sure i telling everyone correct info. thanks mo TRI HARD

I'll go! =)

Running is not my forte and out of the 3 events is definitely my weakness. I have very flat/wide feet no arch and yes, I've been fitted for running shoes; however, the soles of my feet still hurt (right at where my arch would be if I had one). I'm pretty sure it is my form. I had a personal trainer (collegiate track star) look at my run a while back and helped me with my form so I no longer have hip pain (lengthening my stride helped that go away). Also, any training starting points would be greatly appreciated because I have absolutely no running background (except from dogs).

As for the foot pains.. Have you ever been to a Podiatrist? you may need to get inserts to help relieve the pressure on that part of your foot. Or you make want to try a different shoe brand. Does it hurt all the time with those shoes.. or is in just because they are new.. and does the pain goes away after they are broken in? Shoes are a tough topic, because there some many brands.. you will burn through a couple brands until you find the right shoe.. it took me 4 pairs of shoes to get it right... now i have my brand.. sacouny. (tried nike, asics, mizunos).

Second topic running..
First be patient, running (speed, endurance, endurance) takes time. Start slow. I don't know where you are running wise, but i have a running program that will give you some structure to run a 5K.. Look at it, if you want try it out. It will help build your base.. after that sky is the limit. send me your email address an i'll sent it to you.

actually, i think this program is 9 wks.. ideally you would to schedule a race at the end of program
to see how it works. something to think about. The race is the confidence builder, nothing more..

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » MOMO - (CLOSED) IN TRAINING MODE Rss Feed  

of 16