BT Development Mentor Program Archives » bschulte mentor Group - Closed Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 14

2009-04-30 10:47 PM
in reply to: #2078550

User image

Veteran
Denver
Subject: RE: bschulte mentor Group - Closed
Which aero bottle did you buy?  I just put the profile design one on my bike about 2 weeks ago.  It definitely does make a difference to be able to stay on the bars longer and grab a drink, almost makes it feel like a little bit of a rest.

2009-05-01 10:21 AM

User image

Alpharetta, GA

Hi folks,

I quick post to keep the topic moving this week before I hit the rode for a weekend of racing / riding / suffering Tongue out

There are several methods out there to determine your HR zones.  Rather than type them each out I will provide links.  I use the Karvonen method.
http://www.answers.com/topic/karvonen-method

http://www.ajdesigner.com/phpheart/target_heart_rate_equation_karvonen.php

Standard % of Maximum Calculation

http://www.thewalkingsite.com/thr.html

You will note there are some differences in the terminology being used for the different zones.  Don't be concerned with this.  I will cover the different types of training and which zone they should be done in, as well as what the physical adaptations each type of workout provides next.

2009-05-01 12:15 PM

Regular
Soutwest Florida
Bshulte good luck with the race. This is just like school the teacher sends us home with homework while he goes out to play. lol

baldbuyer I bought the profile design also it is nice now to keep the liquids cool. I like the idea all I need is a splash in the mouth and you did not have to lean up for it.

macmadame I agree with rymac I made the mistake on my marathon and tried the course gels. Hated them almost made me yack. I was not use to the choclate or vanilla. All learning curves for me, I am hard headed.

Dont know where most of you guys are training but summer is in full blast in south florida. The humidity is nasty and the temps are alread 90 by 10 am. Cant wait for the race next weekend. I hope to be done before it gets to hot. yeah right
2009-05-02 12:21 PM

Brent,
     I have updated my workout log and notice that I get a bunch more running in than I do swimming and biking.  As I stated earlier I have a decent swim time in the 500 and for my first race I'm doing a sprint.  So the distances aren’t going to be a problem but I am competitive.  I don’t like doing something if I can’t do it well and compete with the others.  My question I guess is what times should I be shooting for in each event?  .5 mile swim is approx 800m I think and I think I can do that in less than 10 min, but what should I be trying to get it down to?  The bike.....  How long should the 15 mile bike take me on a flat and fast course?  I know the run is approx 3 miles and I can do that in about 20-25min.  
    So far I haven’t been able to find out what the winning time for last year’s triple threat triathlon is so I guess I am wondering where I stand as far as competing goes.

2009-05-03 7:23 PM
in reply to: #2125570

User image

Alpharetta, GA
Roy33 - 2009-05-02 1:21 PM

Brent,
     I have updated my workout log and notice that I get a bunch more running in than I do swimming and biking.  As I stated earlier I have a decent swim time in the 500 and for my first race I'm doing a sprint.  So the distances aren’t going to be a problem but I am competitive.  I don’t like doing something if I can’t do it well and compete with the others.  My question I guess is what times should I be shooting for in each event?  .5 mile swim is approx 800m I think and I think I can do that in less than 10 min, but what should I be trying to get it down to?  The bike.....  How long should the 15 mile bike take me on a flat and fast course?  I know the run is approx 3 miles and I can do that in about 20-25min.  
    So far I haven’t been able to find out what the winning time for last year’s triple threat triathlon is so I guess I am wondering where I stand as far as competing goes.

Hi Roy,

This is a tough question because there are just too many variables.  Your performance times in training are going to be your best indication of what you can do.  A Sprint distance race is going to last anywhere from 60 - 120 mins or more.  How long can you go HARD for?  That is the first question you need to answer.  If you think you can go HARD (nearly all out...8-10 RPE) for the entire race, then do some 15 min hard session in your training and take those times to determine some goals (probabaly should add 5 - 10% to those numbers to get your total race times as you will be faster for the shorter 15 mins).

Hope that helps.
2009-05-04 4:30 PM

Regular
Soutwest Florida
Did my last open water swim today before the race this weekend. I feel like I am ready. Talked with the race coordinator and she said they my turn the race into a duathalon if it is to rough. I will go bonkers if that happens. Does anybody know what the cut off would be as far as wave roughness?

2009-05-05 12:31 AM

User image

Expert
Northern CA

I'm back! I'm working on my race report for Wildflower. But here is a quick summery.

I ran the whole way (kind of walk running in parts and walked two feet at the top of the highest hill near the beginning, but mostly running most of the time). I was worried about that. I did my swim at about my expected time in spite of thinking I'd done a crappy job (had trouble staying on course and also got kicked and swallowed water and had to stop and get it out). My run was slightly faster than expected (even though it's still my worst event) and my bike a lot longer. But my finish time was right within my window I had assigned myself so I was happy.

They had water and Gatorade Endurance at the aide stations. I did take some bottles of the Gatorade Endurance at the bike aide stations. They hold them out as you bike by and trying to grab a bottle and not crash amused me. Laughing I figured it would make my special mix last longer but I really didn't need to do it and I think that stuff gave me gas on the run.

I did end up walking up one hill on the bike course, but then I was sorry. Pushing a bike uphill is almost as much work as just riding it when the hill is steep! So I remembered that when I got to the next hill with my rubber legs that wanted to give up and just powered through it. On the last hill I passed a 73 year old man who called me a young chick. Kiss 

I'm so excited and I'm going to do another Olympic course in July and maybe a 70.3 in Oct. There is a relatively flat one around here I could do to get my feet wet. 

2009-05-05 8:28 AM

User image

Veteran
Denver
I have been focusing on the swim and the bike over the last few days because I pulled a calf muscle playing soccer last Tuesday.  I swam 1.4 miles this morning, doing the 1.2 distance that I will do in 47:19.  Question for you Brent, how much impact will the wetsuit have on my time because of the buyoncy effect?  Do you have any kind of time impact from your experience?  I am trying to gauge what kind of time it will take me to finish the swim portion of the HIM.  I think that with it being a race and being geeked up on the excitement of it all that I should be able to finish it in just about 43-45 minutes.  I will be taking the wetsuit out for an open water swim hopefully this weekend (weather permitting) but might take it with me Thurs AM to the rec center when I swim.
2009-05-05 9:07 AM
in reply to: #2130392

User image

Expert
Norton Shores, MI

MacMadame - 2009-05-05 1:31 AM

I'm back! I'm working on my race report for Wildflower. But here is a quick summery.

I ran the whole way (kind of walk running in parts and walked two feet at the top of the highest hill near the beginning, but mostly running most of the time). I was worried about that. I did my swim at about my expected time in spite of thinking I'd done a crappy job (had trouble staying on course and also got kicked and swallowed water and had to stop and get it out). My run was slightly faster than expected (even though it's still my worst event) and my bike a lot longer. But my finish time was right within my window I had assigned myself so I was happy.

They had water and Gatorade Endurance at the aide stations. I did take some bottles of the Gatorade Endurance at the bike aide stations. They hold them out as you bike by and trying to grab a bottle and not crash amused me. Laughing I figured it would make my special mix last longer but I really didn't need to do it and I think that stuff gave me gas on the run.

I did end up walking up one hill on the bike course, but then I was sorry. Pushing a bike uphill is almost as much work as just riding it when the hill is steep! So I remembered that when I got to the next hill with my rubber legs that wanted to give up and just powered through it. On the last hill I passed a 73 year old man who called me a young chick. Kiss 

I'm so excited and I'm going to do another Olympic course in July and maybe a 70.3 in Oct. There is a relatively flat one around here I could do to get my feet wet. 

Great job on your first olympic!! From what I hear, Wildflower is a challenging course and sounds like you battled through it. 

2009-05-05 9:17 AM
in reply to: #2130710

User image

Expert
Norton Shores, MI

baldbuyer - 2009-05-05 9:28 AM I have been focusing on the swim and the bike over the last few days because I pulled a calf muscle playing soccer last Tuesday.  I swam 1.4 miles this morning, doing the 1.2 distance that I will do in 47:19.  Question for you Brent, how much impact will the wetsuit have on my time because of the buyoncy effect?  Do you have any kind of time impact from your experience?  I am trying to gauge what kind of time it will take me to finish the swim portion of the HIM.  I think that with it being a race and being geeked up on the excitement of it all that I should be able to finish it in just about 43-45 minutes.  I will be taking the wetsuit out for an open water swim hopefully this weekend (weather permitting) but might take it with me Thurs AM to the rec center when I swim.

Buoyancy will not have any effect on your race swim time besides making you more comfortable in the water.  It is kind of a safety net for those not as comfortable in the water, I know it helped my confidence when I first started, but now I probably would not use it for a swim under 1000m as the time in transition would offset the time made up in the water.  The wetsuit, from a time perspective, helps faster swimmers with great technique more so than slower ones.  I would anticipate maybe a couple seconds per 100.  Brent probably has a little more experience with this topic but thought I would throw you some thoughts.

Ryan

2009-05-05 2:45 PM
in reply to: #2130392

User image

Alpharetta, GA
MacMadame - 2009-05-05 1:31 AM

Congrats on a great race!

2009-05-05 3:02 PM
in reply to: #2130710

User image

Alpharetta, GA

baldbuyer - 2009-05-05 9:28 AM I have been focusing on the swim and the bike over the last few days because I pulled a calf muscle playing soccer last Tuesday.  I swam 1.4 miles this morning, doing the 1.2 distance that I will do in 47:19.  Question for you Brent, how much impact will the wetsuit have on my time because of the buyoncy effect?  Do you have any kind of time impact from your experience?  I am trying to gauge what kind of time it will take me to finish the swim portion of the HIM.  I think that with it being a race and being geeked up on the excitement of it all that I should be able to finish it in just about 43-45 minutes.  I will be taking the wetsuit out for an open water swim hopefully this weekend (weather permitting) but might take it with me Thurs AM to the rec center when I swim.

Lance, a little different perspective than Ryan on this one.  First of all, you will notice the buoyancy when you first use it, how much that helps depends on your technique.  The theory is that you ride higher on the water and with than more of your body is out of the water and air has less drag than water (obviously).  The second benefit is that it helps you "plane out" which means it helps raise your lower body so you don't plow water.  We've all seen folks in the pool who look like they are almost standing up while they swim.  They are plowing a tremendous amount of water and therefore are probably not going real fast.  Generally speaking, because if this effect, wetsuits benefit folks who are not good swimmers more than folks who are.  For me, general out of the water as top 5 in my AG, it saves me about 90 seconds in a HIM (about 60 seconds in an Intl).  If you are swimming the 1.2 mile distance in training in 47 now, I was say it will save you 2.5, maybe even 3 mins.  It's just a guess.  But to Ryan's point, it will cost you some time in the transition.  Make sure you take the upper portion of the wetsuit off as you run to T1.  Arms out and peal down to your waist.  Do as much on the move as you can.  I wait to take my goggles and cap off until I have the wetsuit down to my waist.  No sense trying to figure out how to carry those while taking the wetsuit off my top.

Good luck and practice removing the top while running this weekend at your OWS.

2009-05-05 10:34 PM

User image

Veteran
Denver

Thanks for the tips on the T1 stuff.  I bought one of the Pro-motion wetsuits that are advertised on the BT website using the discount.  I went with one of the nicer ones they sell and fortunately it has the 1/4 zip up the back of the calves, so that should help with some of the lower body peel off.  Hopefully we'll see what the result is this weekend.

2009-05-06 2:16 AM

User image

Expert
Northern CA
I agree with Brent. The wetsuits helps me quite a bit because it just happens to correct a lot of my particular form problems. If you have other problems like windmilling, maybe you'll have a different experience. But most of my problems are about sinking. Smile

I saw this transition technique on YouTube where you take off your cap and goggles and hold them in your hand when you pull of the first sleeve. They stay in the sleeve and you don't have to worry about dropping them or holding them. I'm a klutz who is always dropping things, so I love that. I do it all the time now. But I found I have to unzip first because trying to unzip while holding the cap and goggles is too unwieldy. I figured -- since I saw it on YouTube in two different transition videos -- that everyone does it this way, but apparently not many do. So now I'm wondering why that is.
2009-05-06 3:31 PM

User image

Alpharetta, GA

Hi folks,

So let's finish up the HR training topic today.  I'm sure it is pretty dry and technical, but some may find it useful, if not right now, perhaps one day.

So last week I provided a couple links on how to determine your HR zones.  You may be thinking "so what".  Today I'll talk about what each of the zones does for you physiologically.  Recall the 3 basic ranges I spoke about last week:

1.  Aerobic training (means with oxygen) - plenty of excess oxygen for your muscles to use here.  This is the "EASY" pace
2.  Anaerobic training (without oxygen) - muscles are using all of the available oxygen, starting to burn higher % of sugar
3.  Threshold training - muscles using all oxygen and burning very high % sugar, also your body can not remove all of the lactic acid, a by product of burning sugar, at the rate it is producing it.  Muscle fatigue / burning becomes prevalent.  "HARD" workouts.

As I've stated before I use the Karvonen method to get my 5 zones, so I will speak to these zones.  I'll apologize ahead of time as some of these physical adaptations can get pretty technical, but I'll try to provide some layman's terms to help. 

Zone 1 - completely aerobic - these are the EASY workouts and the pace may seem too slow, but because the duration is longer (think long run day) you are tired when you finish.  You should be doing a lot of training at this level (probably > 50%).  You wouldn't train at this level for a short training session as it wouldn't do much good.  Adaptations are:  Increased aerobic energy sources, increased aerobic energy pathways, increased capillary density, increased mitochondria proliferation, increased free fatty acid mobilization.  What all this means is you are teaching your body how to burn fat as an energy source, and teaching your body how to get oxygen and energy deep down in the muscles.  Here's a car analogy for you.  Let's say your body is a car engine.  There are 3 blends of gasoline you can buy for your car, premium, mid-grade, and regular.  The premium, let's call it "glycogen", the mid-grade, let's call that "blend", and regular, let's call that "fat".  Your body / engine is a finely tuned race engine which runs on the premium stuff, "glycogen".  let's say there is a gas shortage (Atlanta last Fall) and you can only find a little bit of Premium, a little more of the mid-grade, and all the regular you need.  Your engine can run on the mid-grade and the regular, but it must be tuned up (trained) to do so.  When you first try to run it on the regular it spits and sputters.  The problem is that it doesn't go as fast when it runs on the regular, and goes a little faster on the mid-grade, and fastest on the premium.  Over time the "tune up" (training) starts to set in and your car runs more and more efficiently on the regular and you find it can even run longer on the mid-grade.  Zone 1 training is your "tune up" to get your engine to run more efficiently on it's endless energy supply, fat.  Without this zone 1 adaptation, you engine will "run out of gas" in a short period of time.

Zone 2 - This is the level most people who are unfamiliar with training zones will probably train in.  It is slightly harder than the zone 1 stuff and you start feeling fatigued after moderate training time.  About 20 - 25% of your training is in this zone.  Adaptations are further improvement in aerobic energy sources, and further improvement in aerobic energy pathways.  In this zone you are increasing your ability to use fat as a fuel source at a higher heart rate.  While racing if you can go at a HR where you are burning a higher % of Fat vs. your competitors at the same HR, you will be able to go longer and will have more glycogen (premium) at the end for that last mile push where you will be passing people left and right.

Zone 3 -  This is a pretty hard level to train at and a moderate training time workout at this level will be very tiresome.  Very little training should be done as straight zone 3 training (<10%).  Interval training is a better option, which I'll explain next.  Adaptations in this zone are:  increased aerobic energy pathways, increased recruitment of FOG fibers, increased glycolysis, increased oxygen transport system.  Basically, in this zone you start to use different muscle fiber types which have a quicker contraction rate (type II or fast twitch muscles).  These muscles use the "premium" grade fuel called glycogen.  You are developing the systems to fuel these muscle fibers.  Gross oversimplification, but basically what is happening.

Zone 4 - This is sometime referred to as anaerobic threshold training.  Interval and hill interval workouts are done in this zone.  About 10% of your training will be in this zone depending on which phase you are in.  These are HARD workouts.  An interval workout is a track type workout, or hard repeats in the pool, where you are doing repeats of specific distances.  Adaptations in this zone are:  further increase of aerobic energy pathways, increase in anaerobic energy pathways, further increase of FOG muscle fibers, increase of your anaerobic threshold, increased oxygen transport systems, increased ability to clear lactic acid.  Intervals should be preformed at or just below your AT.  Typically you would only have one of these session in each discipline (on different days) a week.  After several week your AT will start to raise and workouts at lower HR's, say zone 2, will start to seam easier and you will notice your pace at these workout will increase.....HEY folks you are now going faster at the same HR!!!!!!!!

Zone 5  - This zone is completely above your AT (anaerobic threshold) and above your LT (lactic acid threshold) and are usually in the form of "speed bursts" which last less than 60 seconds.  These are sort little speed ups which are "all out".  These type additions to your workouts don't come in until usually in the taper and racing phases of your training plan and account for only 1-2% of your training.  Adaptations are: increased anaerobic energy sources, increased fast-twitch FG muscle fiber recruitment, increased speed and neuromuscular coordination.  This will help you adapt to that "rubbery leg" feeling you may sometime get after a hard effort.  You are training you body how to get rid of the waste these hard short effort produce.  This will help you power up a hill, pass someone on the bike, get to the front of the pack at the start of the swim to stay out of the chaos, and yes, sprint past that person you have been trying to stay with for the last mile on the run......your "kick".  

Whew!!  that's a lot of stuff and probably more than you need right now.  Like I said before this will give you a peak at some of the "methodology" which goes into training and getting the most out of your training. 

In a nutshell your most important training is the stuff on both ends of the scale.  The zone 1 and the zone 4-5 stuff.  Unfortunately most folks spend too much time in the zone 2-3 area where they are not getting the biggest bang for the buck.  Now if you haven't been following these principles, I wouldn't recommend you change on a dime and go out and do a tough interval session.  You have to ease into it.  The last thing you want to do is pull a muscle and not be able to train at all.

QUESTIONS???

2009-05-06 7:28 PM

Regular
Soutwest Florida
I understand the concept but am wondering how slow we are talking about for zone 1? I use my suunto t4 which tells me all the trng levels I am in and i do spend most of my time in the upper 3's on my runs and 2 for the bike. I do some speed work but my hr gives me an avr and a peak. I will have to check to see what my zone 1 is hell that may be me jogging. I cant see myself going that slow for a workout. I guess my philosophy is wrong I like to feel that I did something at the end of my workouts. What kind of hr are we talking I am 38? Just checking to see if I am on the right path.

2009-05-06 8:04 PM

User image

Expert
Norton Shores, MI

great stuff Brent - explained very well!  I should print that and put it in my workout bag for future reference.

2009-05-06 9:13 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Long Beach, CA
Thanks Brent -this is great info. I've always been under the impression there were only 3 HR zones so I've leared a lot! I tend to do intervals during my bike and swims for 2-3 minutes high intensity and then down to Z1 and back to Z2 should I be doing full workouts at each level for the entire duration of the workout time?
2009-05-07 7:12 AM
in reply to: #2135255

User image

Alpharetta, GA
fireman70 - 2009-05-06 8:28 PM I understand the concept but am wondering how slow we are talking about for zone 1? I use my suunto t4 which tells me all the trng levels I am in and i do spend most of my time in the upper 3's on my runs and 2 for the bike. I do some speed work but my hr gives me an avr and a peak. I will have to check to see what my zone 1 is hell that may be me jogging. I cant see myself going that slow for a workout. I guess my philosophy is wrong I like to feel that I did something at the end of my workouts. What kind of hr are we talking I am 38? Just checking to see if I am on the right path.

Hi Matt, in very general terms (because I don't know your resting HR to calculate your HR reserve) your zone 1 would be something like 131-144.  Keep in mind these are long workouts and the length of the workout is what ends up tiring you.  If your long run in the past at a zone 2-3 effort was 1 hour, you will find you will be able to go maybe 1 1/2 hours in zone 1 and will be quite tired when you finish.  Over time your zone 1 speed will increase.  For example my zone 1 run was right about 8:20 / mile when I started, now it is 7:00 / mile.  The speed work is what makes you faster but the ticket to doing the speed work is the slow stuff.  And yes when I started training the zone 1 runs seemed ridiculously slow.
2009-05-07 7:25 AM
in reply to: #2135457

User image

Alpharetta, GA
mburkhart - 2009-05-06 10:13 PM Thanks Brent -this is great info. I've always been under the impression there were only 3 HR zones so I've leared a lot! I tend to do intervals during my bike and swims for 2-3 minutes high intensity and then down to Z1 and back to Z2 should I be doing full workouts at each level for the entire duration of the workout time?

In general your zone 1 workouts are your zone 1 workouts and your speed workouts (zone 4) are your speed workouts, but doesn't have to be the case.  My long run days are Friday's and the total run time has gotten to be too much for one workout so I split them into a Morning and an Afternoon workout.  Total run time is in the 4 hour range that day, which if I ran an once would be over 30 miles and would trash my legs for the entire weekend and would lead to injury.  During this workout I have a mixture of stuff.  Some zone 1, some zone 2, some zone 3, and my weekly zone 4 intervals.  Now where it get tricky is in the order I do these components of the workout.  Once your HR goes anaerobic (like in your intervals) for a certain amount of time (different for all depending on your fitness) your body switches over to burning sugar (glycogen) no matter what your HR is.  This is an important concept because early in a race like the swim if you peg your HR, you could end up using anaerobic fuel sources for the rest of the race and you only have a limited amount of glycogen (about 60-120 mins) and can only replace it at a certain rate which is much slower than you can burn it.  For these combined workouts I wait and do the intervals toward the end of the workout and ideally at the end if I can.
2009-05-07 3:55 PM

Regular
Soutwest Florida

Alright more questions so I hope this helps others. My resting HR is 58 I did 34 on the bike with avg 148 today so just out of zone 1 I guess. I am able to keep it down during rides and swims but not so much during the run. Do I just need to plan to run slower. I do my oly this weekend so I am not changing up right now but when I start training for the HIM I want to be doing things right. I feel that I have a good base. Ultimate goal is a full ironman next year. I will be doing a couple other shorter distances this year a sprint and another oly but want to make sure I am doing things right. The other question is where can I find a good HIM distance trng schedule? I saw on here but not to sure about it.

2009-05-07 9:22 PM
in reply to: #2137219

User image

Alpharetta, GA
fireman70 - 2009-05-07 4:55 PM

Alright more questions so I hope this helps others. My resting HR is 58 I did 34 on the bike with avg 148 today so just out of zone 1 I guess. I am able to keep it down during rides and swims but not so much during the run. Do I just need to plan to run slower. I do my oly this weekend so I am not changing up right now but when I start training for the HIM I want to be doing things right. I feel that I have a good base. Ultimate goal is a full ironman next year. I will be doing a couple other shorter distances this year a sprint and another oly but want to make sure I am doing things right. The other question is where can I find a good HIM distance trng schedule? I saw on here but not to sure about it.

Keep in mind only about 50-65% of your total workout time (depending on the phase) is done in zone 1.  Also, many ppl starting off find that their HR zones are different for each disciple.  Typically, swimming and biking are lower than running.  Do you have a long bike workout, a long run workout, and a long swim workout?  Generally, you should have a long bike workout each week which works up to at least as long (time) as the entire race you are training for.  For example if you are racing an Olympic distance and you plan on finishing in 3 hours, you should have worked up to a long bike ride of 3 hours.  This workout would be your zone 1 bike ride.  I have heard the B-T plans are pretty good, but pretty basic.  Check them out and see if they make sense.
2009-05-08 8:51 AM

Regular
Soutwest Florida
I have read different things and have found exactly what you are talking about. That is why I want to make sure when I start my HIM trng I am doing the right things. Long ride that equals my time spent for the race. I did not do that this time with the oly but I came close. One of my problems is that I focus to hard on the workout of  getting it done as to the distance and trying to make it quicker then the last. I dont slow down. By reading all this stuff it sounds like I am trng to hard. On my long days I should slow down the tempo which would bring down the hr. So what I am looking for what i guess is a long ride that would equal like you said the distance of my HIM time. Which I  should also be doing the same for my run . Does that include a long swim? I looked at the HIM plan they have and it does not deal with distance only time on the rides and runs. Are there any other plans out there to look at on this HIM distance?
2009-05-08 9:21 AM
in reply to: #2138371

User image

Alpharetta, GA
fireman70 - 2009-05-08 9:51 AM I have read different things and have found exactly what you are talking about. That is why I want to make sure when I start my HIM trng I am doing the right things. Long ride that equals my time spent for the race. I did not do that this time with the oly but I came close. One of my problems is that I focus to hard on the workout of  getting it done as to the distance and trying to make it quicker then the last. I dont slow down. By reading all this stuff it sounds like I am trng to hard. On my long days I should slow down the tempo which would bring down the hr. So what I am looking for what i guess is a long ride that would equal like you said the distance of my HIM time. Which I  should also be doing the same for my run . Does that include a long swim? I looked at the HIM plan they have and it does not deal with distance only time on the rides and runs. Are there any other plans out there to look at on this HIM distance?

Depending on your expected time for the HIM, you don't have to get the bike all the way up to the entire race time, but certainly should work it up to at least 4.5 hours.  I wouldn't recommend working your run up that long, it's just too much pounding on the knees.  You should probably get a couple 15 milers in before the the HIM.  Same type of thing for the swim, work up to a few 3000 yds swims at least a couple of them being straight swims with minimal rest, ideally none.  Long bike ride are a great time to practice your race nutrition.  Gradually, you'll work your nutrition into workouts with higher intensity (the zone 2 and 3) so your body starts to figure out how to get the calories in at a high HR to simulate racing.
2009-05-08 9:14 PM

Regular
Soutwest Florida
Thanks for the advice. Went to Sarasota picked up my packet for my first tri. Ran into some awesome people down from Milwaukee area who are running the tri on vacation. It was a nice feeling able to talk to people about my first tri they were all experienced 2 of the 3 had done Irons (winconsin).  It was nice to talk to people and get the jitters out now if I can sleep tonight. I will post tomorrow and let you know how I did.
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » bschulte mentor Group - Closed Rss Feed  

of 14