General Discussion Iron Distance Race Groups » Revolution3 IM Sandusky Ohio : Official Thread Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 12

2010-06-28 3:22 PM
in reply to: #2262328

User image

Master
Canton, Michigan
Subject: RE: Revolution3 IM Sandusky Ohio : Official Thread

From the FAQ page:

Are disk wheels allowed?

Yes.

2010-06-29 7:30 AM
in reply to: #2948080

User image

Veteran
Northern Illinois
Charlie,

Thanks for clearing up the hours for the park.
2010-07-05 2:55 PM

Regular
Sarasota, FL

Anybody know how many people are registered so far?

2010-07-13 1:12 PM

User image

Master
Columbus, Ohio
Coaching member
I'm heading up Saturday morning for the Cleveland Tri Club course preview day.
I'm leaving from Columbus. Anyone want to carpool?
2010-07-14 1:55 PM

User image

Expert
Memphis, TN

What should the water temp be like?  Being from the south, I am used to non-wetsuit swims for the majority of our race season.  Should I assume that the swim will be wetsuit legal?

2010-07-15 9:23 AM
in reply to: #2980906

User image

Master
Columbus, Ohio
Coaching member
wes mantooth - 2010-07-14 2:55 PM

What should the water temp be like?  Being from the south, I am used to non-wetsuit swims for the majority of our race season.  Should I assume that the swim will be wetsuit legal?

Oh yes. It's wetsuit legal right now in July. It will cool down some more by September. I'm going to guess it will be low 70s or high 60s. That is just a guess, based on doing a lot of Great Lakes swims back when I lived in the Chicago area. Folks who live near Erie probably have a better idea.

The race site actually recommends wetsuits. The water could be choppy, too.

2010-07-15 10:51 AM

New user
I'm in, as is my best man's wife for her first ever full distance. Yikes...
2010-07-15 2:20 PM
in reply to: #2982496

User image

Veteran
Northwest Pa
Swam in the lake today, and it was nice! Water is 76 degrees... looking forward to a nice swim in september... Lake Erie can get very rough (have had SEVERAL swim cancelations when dealing with Lake Erie), or to put it in better perspective, we have more wrecks per square mile than the bermuda triangle soley becuase our lake can get a wee bit rough! That being said, the course they have laid out seems pretty well protected. Winds are predominantly from the west, so that is another thing to keep in mind for the course. As Ahohl stated, a wetsuit will really help keep us all from well, drowning! Seriously though, should be great, and I can't wait.
2010-07-16 7:02 AM

User image

Veteran
Sandusky, OH
Can't wait either! I did a couple OWS lately in lake erie and it has been very warm (didn't need a wetsuit) I did however buy one and will use it on race day.  I will also be at the Rev 3 training day tomorrrow.  Should be a hot one!
2010-07-19 9:09 AM
in reply to: #2984536

User image

Expert
Madison, MS

Had my best ever 100+ mile ride this weekend. Felt strong the entire way and followed it up with a nice 30-minute run. Then, ran 2 hours on the treadmill the next day. Can't believe I made myself do it, but I am so tired of the life-sucking heat and humidity, I had to do something different. Cranked the tunes and tooled along and was done before I knew it.

So, I am starting to feel kinda' good about the whole thing.

2010-07-20 2:30 PM

Extreme Veteran
Folks,

I appreciate all the course information and pics of the OWS. I wish I were closer to take part in some of the training sessions. I have altered my long ride course to include some time riding into the wind based on some of the wind reports on the training rides. I now do 25 miles into the wind then 50 miles with the wind and finish with the last 25 back into the wind. I absolutely hate the last 25 miles. Last weekend it was straight into a 15 - 20 MPH headwind. Anyway enough complaining. Has anyone experimented with Cerasport? Do we know which one regular or EX1 will be on the course? How does it compare to Gatorade or Heed? Did anyone get free samples to try?

Kevin 

2010-07-20 2:41 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Kevin,
I have some Cerasport, that is what will be served on the course. I called the company and spoke with the owner this past spring. I ordered a case of Cerasport as they don't send samples. It is a rice-based carbohydrate that has sodium in it. It's fine, I suppose. Not my favorite drink. I use it for workouts that are about an hour and if it's hot out. Otherwise, I'm an EFS fan.
If I have to describe the drink, it has a mild orange/citrus taste- but not like gatorade. Also, the drink is opaque- you can't see through it; kind of creamy?? Hard to describe. I don't find it to be very refreshing, especially when it gets warm. Now, mind you, this is just my opinion and we all probably have different tastes in drinks.
Performance-wise, I think it's fine. I like all of the added stuff that EFS has so that I don't have to mess with salt tabs, electrolytes, etc.. I want easy!
2010-07-21 5:54 AM
in reply to: #2992989

User image

Veteran
nuttysami123 - 2010-07-20 3:41 PM Kevin,
I have some Cerasport, that is what will be served on the course. I called the company and spoke with the owner this past spring. I ordered a case of Cerasport as they don't send samples. It is a rice-based carbohydrate that has sodium in it. It's fine, I suppose. Not my favorite drink. I use it for workouts that are about an hour and if it's hot out. Otherwise, I'm an EFS fan.
If I have to describe the drink, it has a mild orange/citrus taste- but not like gatorade. Also, the drink is opaque- you can't see through it; kind of creamy?? Hard to describe. I don't find it to be very refreshing, especially when it gets warm. Now, mind you, this is just my opinion and we all probably have different tastes in drinks.
Performance-wise, I think it's fine. I like all of the added stuff that EFS has so that I don't have to mess with salt tabs, electrolytes, etc.. I want easy!

+1 on cerasport.  It was on the Rev3 Quassy bike course in 12-16 oz bottles.  Tasted OK to me, citrus/orange.  It tasted stronger and sweeter then Gatorade.  Definitely opaque, almost creamy-like ... reminiscent of Hammer's perpeteum almost.  It didnt seem to be too popular at quassy but it was OK overall.  I think the rice-based carbs are supposed to be easy to digest.
2010-07-21 7:27 AM
in reply to: #2993917

User image

Veteran
Northern Illinois
+2 on the Cerasport. I ordered a case once I found out that was going to be on the course. I don't care for it very much. I don't like the texture of it and it is especially bad when it gets warm in your bottle on a long ride. I'm hoping for plenty of aid stations so I can keep getting cold ones! I haven't had any problems with it stomach wise, I just don't like the taste/texture compared to Gatorade.
2010-07-21 11:42 AM

User image

Expert
Farmington, MI

Hey, maybe this info was posted on the website somewhere, but I wanted to know more about the refreshments on course besides the CeraSport.  Todd Gollnick himself e-mailed me within hours of my inquiry.  I got a follow up e-mail from another Rev3 staff person this morning.  These folks are awesome!!

Hi Jaclyn,

We will also have water, coke at select stations and GU Gels.  There is also an option of fruit during the later part of the run.  Let me know if we can help with anything else.

Thanks Todd

2010-07-21 12:26 PM

User image

Veteran
The Quassy half run course was a smorgasbord .. bananas, pretzels, soda, gels, water and ice.  The run aid stations were almost every mile or so .... tons of volunteers staffing them.  I was full when I finished...

Only 1 station late in the run was out of cups/water ... but like I said, another was close-by so it wasnt a problem.   That can easily be solved by getting to the aid stations *sooner* but that's another thread topic entirely ...

I gotta say I have never seen so many enthusiastic volunteers ...every aid station was PACKED... that was absolutely great and very motivating. 

2010-07-22 8:16 AM

User image

Veteran
Hi Everyone!  Nuttysam put me onto this thread.  it has been a few years since I posted on BT.  I am one of the organizers for this past weekend's preview day for Cedar Point fullrev and halfrev.  We had aobut 110 people ride the course.  It was hot and windy but a great day.  I am in the process of planning the August 21 preview day that will be sponsored by Rev3.  Details will be posted soon but a few of the highlights are an open water swim clinic hosted by Leah from Liquid Lifestyles, a group ride featuring A, B anc C groups for both the half and full, a short run course for a brick and Q and A session with race organizer Eric Opdyke.  We will have CeraSport on the bike course and 2 aid stations with a sag wagon posted at one of them for assistance.

Once Rev3 gets us the official flyer, I will post with more details.  Should be another great day!  Check out www.clevetriclub.com for some more info.

Ken

2010-07-22 8:29 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Thanks Ken for posting that!!
I can vouch that the training weekend is definitely worth it!! Mike and I drove 5 hours to attend and I am so glad we did!! Thanks for your hard work Ken! See you in September!!
2010-07-22 9:07 AM

Hey y'all, 
I'm new here, also thanks to nuttysami123.  I'm preparing for the full at Cedar Point and wasn't able to make the training weekend nor will I be able to make the next one (working in an ER has some drawbacks).  I am actually heading there this weekend from Lafayette, Indiana and plan to ride, I don't know, most of the full course on Saturday or Sunday morning... I guess about 100 miles.  Any locals looking for a long ride this weekend or want to join me for a loop?  With groups I usually avg 17ish mph.   
Happy training, 
Sarah 
2010-07-29 1:59 PM

User image

Veteran
Hi Everyone,

On August 21, Rev3 and Cleveland Triathlon Club will be hosting another preview day at Sawmill Creek Resort.  The new info is on our website at www.clevetriclub.com

We request rsvp's for the event.  Should be a great day and a great chance to see the course and learn how the race will be set up.

2010-07-29 2:02 PM

User image

Veteran
Hi Everyone,

On August 21, Rev3 and Cleveland Triathlon Club will be hosting another preview day at Sawmill Creek Resort.  The new info is on our website at www.clevetriclub.com

We request rsvp's for the event.  Should be a great day and a great chance to see the course and learn how the race will be set up.

2010-07-29 9:08 PM

User image

Regular
Gurnee, IL
OK - 6 months later found the thread!

I'm in - first IM - and this was an easy sell with the family! Three kids - 12-15-17 - totally psyched about being at Cedar Point. Just bummed that their mom expects them to come out of line at the coasters to see dad in transition occasionally!

Totally and completely my A race for the year. Everything else, including the spring marathon, was just training for this!
2010-08-02 2:25 PM

User image

Master
Columbus, Ohio
Coaching member
I'm headed up for the training day in August!

Rev3 just sent out a discount code, in case you have some friends whose arms you are trying to twist....
2010-08-04 10:29 AM

User image

Columbus, OH

Want to leave more than empty water bottles and banana peels behind in Sandusky after the Rev3 Triathlon?  Consider making a tax-deductible donation to Care and Share of Erie County.  Care and Share is a local  Sandusky 501c3 nonprofit that distributes food, clothing, furniture, appliances, household goods, bedding and linens, and an array of children's toys at no cost to needy families.  As a Rev3 IM participant, I'm setting up this charity opportunity through Runners Feeding Others, an Ohio-based effort to give something back at local races.  RFO forwards donations to local food pantries in host communities.  No money is kept for administrative overhead; every dime is forwarded to the local charity.  If you'd like to donate or want more information, check out the website: http://www.runnersfeedingothers.com/sandusky.htm  Thanks, and looking forward to seeing you all there!

2010-08-04 3:18 PM

User image

Master
Canton, Michigan

Just an FYI.  I rode the half and full loops today and was surprised to find that on the full loop, Thompson Road had recently had a new layer of chip seal put down.  It looked real fresh so I'm guessing the last day or two since I saw them on another road nearby.  Thompson road is not rideable at this point and I have to imagine it at least a few weeks before the loose rock will be out of the way to be even close to safe to ride.  It's not a real well traveled road so it will take time.

New Thread
General Discussion Iron Distance Race Groups » Revolution3 IM Sandusky Ohio : Official Thread Rss Feed  

of 12