BT Development Mentor Program Archives » McFuzz's Mentor Group-2010 Vintage CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 11

2010-02-26 2:21 PM
in reply to: #2577496

User image

Veteran
Angola, IN
Subject: RE: McFuzz's Mentor Group-2010 Vintage CLOSED

Here is the specs the bike is 2006 Guru Cronalu 57cm Triathlon Bike (fitter told me I needed 57.4 cm)

Profile Design Seat / Bontrager Headset / Profile Design Bars and A / Shimano Ultegra Components / Guru Carbon Fiber / Bladed Fork

Bar end shifters / Shimano Aero Wheels / Vredstein Fortezza Tires / Look Clip ins / Bladed Airfoil Seat tube

This bike is in great condition, has never been wrecked, and was recently serviced. 

$1000.00 o.b.o

2010-02-26 3:05 PM

User image

Champion
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Bronze member

Can you test ride it?  Probably worth a really REALLY close look. At the end of the day, it's your money. 

2010-02-26 9:10 PM
in reply to: #2695951

User image

Veteran
Angola, IN

Unfortunately I cannot test ride it, it is in the Baltimor area (about 14 hours from me).  Started searching a little deeper in Craigs list though and have found several similar deals.  Won't be long, I will make a decision.  I like what I am reading about the Guru.  The frames are all hand built in Montreal, Canada.  Sounds like a real quality bike maker.

2010-03-01 7:53 AM

User image

Champion
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Bronze member

OK everyone, here we are 2 months into the new year, and one month remaining in the "official" mentor program.  Don't worry, I'll continue mentoring as long as you are willing to listen (I'm still mentoring a couple proteges from 2007).  The weather (for those of us in the midwest) is starting to break, opening up lots more outside training opportunities. 

Take a few moments and reflect back on the past 2 months.  What have you liked about training?  Are you still excited to be signed up for your races?  How much training have you done (hours or miles)?  Does it surprise you? 

For those of you signed up for an Ironman, you're probably staring at a training "cliff" wondering how you'll get from where you are to what the plan calls for (a 6 hour bike ride?? )  Relax...the plan will get you there. 

For those of you doing 30 minutes at a time and wondering if you're worthy enough to post or inspire those "ironman in training" people, YUP.  It's amazing what those 30 minutes a day add up to over time, and you've all accomplished so much. 

2010-03-02 9:00 PM
in reply to: #2699289

User image

Regular
Cincinnati

McFuzz - 2010-03-01 8:53 AM

OK everyone, here we are 2 months into the new year, and one month remaining in the "official" mentor program.  Don't worry, I'll continue mentoring as long as you are willing to listen (I'm still mentoring a couple proteges from 2007).  The weather (for those of us in the midwest) is starting to break, opening up lots more outside training opportunities. 

Take a few moments and reflect back on the past 2 months.  What have you liked about training?  Are you still excited to be signed up for your races?  How much training have you done (hours or miles)?  Does it surprise you? 

For those of you signed up for an Ironman, you're probably staring at a training "cliff" wondering how you'll get from where you are to what the plan calls for (a 6 hour bike ride?? )  Relax...the plan will get you there. 

For those of you doing 30 minutes at a time and wondering if you're worthy enough to post or inspire those "ironman in training" people, YUP.  It's amazing what those 30 minutes a day add up to over time, and you've all accomplished so much. 

Alot has changed the last 7 months - I have welcomed a daughter Skylar and completed one of my most challenging projects - 4 days before she was born - Relocated an airline/airport (DHL) from Wilmington Ohio to Earlanger Ky. 

The stress of work put me into a downward sprial of bad habits.  Couple that with the non stop work hours - no sleep with a newborn and something had to change.

I haven't ran (or even registered) for a race yet and I have won.  I went from approx 24% body fat to 12% body fat and the diet has gone from gas station and fast food to healthy home cooked (thanks to the wife) or sensible carryout.

Although the winter had moved me inside for most of the month of Feb - I pretty much kept up - my run slagged a little since my ADD would kick in after 3 miles on the treadmill.  The good side - I now enjoy swimming!

February's totals:
Bike:2h 15m  - 39.03 Mi
Run:4h 53m 38s  - 31.82 Mi
Swim:2h 51m 48s  - 7700 Yd
Strength:1h 20m

Goal will be to double run and bike and match swim!
Run 60 miles
Bike 80 miles
Swim 7700 yds

Spring is just around the corner and I have been outside training 2 of the last 3 days so things will start picking up. 

For those just starting - not only will it get easier - you will enjoy it that much more.  You will start to look forward to the long runs and find your groove to know where you can find the enjoyment and get the training all at the same time.  Bricks will become part of normal training and you will be disappointed when you miss a workout.

Look forward to seeing a few of you at the Flying Pig and keep up the good work!

2010-03-05 7:28 AM

User image

Champion
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Bronze member

All,

I'll be traveling to India for the next 10 days.  No computer, no cell phone (not that any of you are calling me).  I hope to get some runs in (It'll make the 5th continent I've run on) to continue my marathon training. 

Enjoy the warming sunshine of early spring.  It's a time of promise.  Cool weather (so you can exert yourself) and bright sunshine (how cheerful after a winter of grey skies).  Be safe and be smart. 

2010-03-05 9:57 AM
in reply to: #2709138

User image

Extreme Veteran
Sacramento, California
India sounds interesting.  I work with a team of people over there, but I've never been myself.  There's no real need as we work together over the Internet.  It's funny, I've been working with them for 4 yrs and never met face to face. Incredible.

Have a safe trip and hope you get your runs in.

Enrique
2010-03-14 4:46 PM

User image

Veteran
Sandusky, OH

Training up to now has been steady.  I get in on avg 7-9 hours a week.  I am def stronger in my swim and my running is finally coming back to me. I started a new job this month and have been able to keep up w/ my training.  I am able to get a swim in early and run/bike after.  I hope that when I go to 3 12 hour shifts I can still get a workout in on the days i work. 

My goal for this month is to increase my distance in all 3 areas.  Specifically I want to get a 3 hour bike ride, one mile swim, and 13 mi run. 

2010-03-20 4:12 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Sacramento, California
Any opinion's on full wetsuit or sleeveless?  I'm planning on renting a full for my 1st tri, but I'm wondering when I decide to buy, what I need to consider when choosing between one type or the other.

2010-03-21 2:43 PM
in reply to: #2737622

User image

Veteran
Angola, IN
I have a customer that sells wet suits, looks like the sleeveless are gonna create drag in the water.  They look like they would act like a parachute in the current.  Anyways, he sells them for around $90 sleeveless and about & $130 full length.  Just a thought depending on the cost of renting, may just be worth buying one to start with if ur gonna use it.
2010-03-22 10:35 AM

User image

Champion
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Bronze member

Each has some advantages/disadvantages. 

Sleeveless:  Not as warm (so better in marginally warm water).  Less shoulder fatigue.  More chafing. 

Full:  Better in cold water.  Less likely to chafe around your shoulders.  More chafing around the neck.  More shoulder fatigue. 

A properly fitted wetsuit will not have gaps along your neck/torso.  I have a full wetsuit, so I can't speak too much about sleeveless.  My experience has been that they fit snug enough that you don't get gaps (it should take several minutes to wiggle into the wetsuit).  Too big = gaps = cold = drag (but the bouyancy in the legs often makes up for a slight increase in drag on the torso).  BodyGlide or duct tape can help minimize chafing (aka. "wetsuit hickies" or "wetsuit kisses" ).  I never had a problem with chafing on 1-1.2 mile swims, but did on the second loop of IMCdA last summer.  With a full wetsuit, the only place to get relative motion between your skin and the neoprene is usually around the neck (although some might get it at shoulder seams as well).  In a sleeveless wetsuit, that relative motion occurs at the arm holes and if the sleeveless suit is a little too big, across the top of the shoulders/neck. 

2010-03-23 5:41 AM

User image

Veteran
Sandusky, OH
I got a full 2XU on clearance in January.  Ironically, that the first thing I got for the IM.  I still don't have a bike! Haha.  I'm working on it.  But it fits snug and glad that it does b/c I took a shot and ordered it off the internet w/out trying on. It fits like a glove though!
2010-03-24 6:44 PM
in reply to: #2738629

User image

Extreme Veteran
Sacramento, California
discipleguideservice - 2010-03-21 12:43 PM I have a customer that sells wet suits, looks like the sleeveless are gonna create drag in the water.  They look like they would act like a parachute in the current.  Anyways, he sells them for around $90 sleeveless and about & $130 full length.  Just a thought depending on the cost of renting, may just be worth buying one to start with if ur gonna use it.

Does he have a website I can check out?
2010-03-24 6:47 PM
in reply to: #2740027

User image

Extreme Veteran
Sacramento, California
McFuzz - 2010-03-22 8:35 AM

Each has some advantages/disadvantages. 

Sleeveless:  Not as warm (so better in marginally warm water).  Less shoulder fatigue.  More chafing. 

Full:  Better in cold water.  Less likely to chafe around your shoulders.  More chafing around the neck.  More shoulder fatigue. 

Thanks for the info.  Decisions, decisions!

2010-03-24 10:10 PM
in reply to: #2746433

User image

Veteran
Angola, IN
http://neosportusa.com/?page=triathlete  this is the website for the brand of suits he sells.  Let me know if you like one, I can get a quote from him.  He takes pretty good care of me.  His website is www.midwestdivesupply.com  Henderson is the brand he sells.  Hope this helps.
2010-03-25 9:23 AM
in reply to: #2746838

User image

Champion
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Bronze member

discipleguideservice - 2010-03-24 10:10 PM http://neosportusa.com/?page=triathlete  this is the website for the brand of suits he sells.  Let me know if you like one, I can get a quote from him.  He takes pretty good care of me.  His website is www.midwestdivesupply.com  Henderson is the brand he sells.  Hope this helps.

Thanks for helping each other out (this is what the mentor groups are supposed to do)! 

Diving/watersport wetsuits and tri wetsuits are *different.*  Triathletes are generally trying to swim front crawl, so tri wetsuits are designed for relatively unrestricted arm/shoulder motion and less thermal resistance (so you don't sweat to death in them).  Dive/watersports wetsuits are generally thicker and stiffer because they don't expect you to swim front crawl in them. 

If you go with a watersport wetsuit, definitely get sleeveless. 

2010-03-25 7:43 PM
in reply to: #2747510

User image

Veteran
Angola, IN
I will try to get some exact pricing for everyone tomorrow.  The guys has a dive shop, but he also has a few tri-suits made by neosport.  Most of the ones he has in stock are full length 3/5 mil suits.  I will let everyone know if I am able to save you all some $$.... JK
2010-03-26 1:01 PM
in reply to: #2749449

User image

Veteran
Angola, IN

OK everyone...  Enrique asked me for a price on the 5/3 NRG Full Tri-Suit, so I just called my buddy.  The current price is $135 for that suit, but the price will increase quite a bit after April 12 he told me. (like an additonal $15)  Anyone who wants to purchase a suit from him he will give them that price until his price increases next month.

Midwest Dive Supply (260) 624-4514  the owners name Is Josh also.  Just give him a call and let him know that you are a friend of mine.  He will give you that price, then you can work out the shipping.

Hope this helps everyone, Josh

2010-03-28 9:35 AM
in reply to: #2751050

User image

Extreme Veteran
Sacramento, California
I ordered the fullsuit which should arrive in a couple of weeks.  $145 incl shipping. Thanks for the help Josh!

Edited by ecpasos 2010-03-28 9:37 AM
2010-04-03 5:42 PM

User image

Champion
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Bronze member

April 3. 

Enrique and Skye have triathlons this month. 

Josh (K), Laura, and Skye are doing Ironman-distance races this year. 

Josh (B) has logged some very consistent workouts in spite of a newborn daughter this winter.  Carlos and Lexi have been in and out (hoping they'll be more in than out now that the weather is improving). 

Doesn't seem like a good time to disband, so how about we keep the group going? 

What has surprised you with the training this year?  What excites you?  What do you need to keep working on your fitness goals? 

I'll start.  I've run A LOT!  More than I've ever run before (even training for the 50-miler last year).  I'm a little nervous and excited about my first marathon.  Not so confident in <3:45, but <4:00 is still very likely.  I've been pretty one-dimensional this year, and I miss the swimming/biking while I focus on running.  It's been a good experience, but I'm not sure I want to train FOR another marathon (but I expect to train enough to do them).  My HIM training plan kicks in near the end of the month and that'll bring back some of the variety to my workouts.  I've already told Natalie (my running partner) that I'll be running a lot less after May 3.  She may join me on some rides, we may go our separate ways with her running and me riding/swimming/running. 

2010-04-04 7:56 PM
in reply to: #2766780

User image

Veteran
Angola, IN
I for one,  hope everyone wants to keep going with the group.  I really appreciate the inspiration that the group brings.  It is really easy to skip workouts when no one knows but you, so thanks to everyone who keeps me accountable.  I hope others see the same value in this group that I do.  JK

2010-04-05 8:32 AM
in reply to: #2766780

User image

Extreme Veteran
Sacramento, California
McFuzz - 2010-04-03 3:42 PM

Doesn't seem like a good time to disband, so how about we keep the group going? 

What has surprised you with the training this year?  What excites you?  What do you need to keep working on your fitness goals? 

Yeah, I'd like the group to keep going for a bit longer.  It helps me stay accountable to my own training when I'm part of a group that is also being consistent with training.  

Regarding your questions.... I'm surprised how relatively easy it's been to fit in all three sports into my weekly workouts.  I'm having a blast learning how to swim correctly rather than just dog paddling everywhere.    I'm very happy to have overcome some injuries from last year's marathon and I continue to be in great shape, which feels fantastic both physically and mentally.  I'd like to continue to get better with my swimming endurance (1 mile goal right now).  That's my biggest limiter at the moment.  Lastly, I love Tri training because it made losing 10 pounds so easy! 

Well, time to go to work.

All the best! 

Enrique
2010-04-09 9:22 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Sacramento, California
Mike, any thoughts on the application of sunscreen during a tri?  Do you apply in T1?

I'm just going through my transitions in my mind and plan to do a practice run tomorrow.  This is one thing I hadn't considered until now.

2010-04-10 9:26 AM

User image

Veteran
Sandusky, OH

Hi all... I def don't want this group to disband.  Even though I may not write on this forum often I do log my workouts and look and see how everyone else is doing as well. It really has helped me be accountable.  I also value everyone's input and encouragement

What has surprised you with the training this year? 
I'm just surprised how much I've grown adding swimming and biking to the mix.  It actually has helped my running.  From 07-to the end of 09 I was soley focused on running, running, running and I def think I was overtraining.  My hip hurt, my foot hurt. Biking alot in the beginning gave my legs a rest and now I slowly getting back to my normal running pace and mileage. 

What excites you?

Being able to swim a mile and for 40 min straight!! When I first started I could swim 50 yds and then I had to stop!!  

What do you need to keep working on your fitness goals? 

Well I still need a bike... I'm confused if I should get a road bike w/ tri bars or just get a tri bike.... My fear is that after I do this ironman that I won't do another one and be stuck w/ an expensive tri bike... Where a road bike I could keep using.  Any thoughts??

I added the flying pig marathon next month.  So I need to keep the running up. Also I need to find a couple smaller tri's to do before the big dance. Other than that just keep up my training. Excited to actually start my plan in a couple weeks.

Thanks everyone (esp Mike) for all the encouragement and support!! Keep up the awesome work!!

Laura

2010-04-11 8:52 AM
in reply to: #2781986

User image

Veteran
Angola, IN
I still say go with the Tri-Bike.  They hold their value very well... and on that note, the search is over.  I just purchased a 2007 Specialized Transition Expert (no pedals, but it does have a few extras) for $1295 (new retail was $2,500)  I had to have the thing shipped from Minnesota, but I think it I am gonna be glad that I took my time.  There are tons of new tri-bikes being posted every day now on craigs list.   You can search the entire country all at once by going to www.allofcraigs.com

JK
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » McFuzz's Mentor Group-2010 Vintage CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 11