Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 9

2010-01-13 2:16 PM
in reply to: #2578417

User image

Aurora, CO
Subject: RE: sbreaux's group CLOSED!!!
Hi Scott,

I went to "Treads" Bike shop in Parker today.  They had a couple of Triathlon Shorts / Singlets, but none in my size (med) and cost way too much (cheaper on line).  I will be going to the "Bike Source" next week at lunch time (Wednesday @ 12pm) to talk with them and look at their stuff.  If you could meet me there, that would be great.....but if you can't that's fine as well.

I really appriciate all your input.
Randy

2010-01-13 9:01 PM
in reply to: #2612205

User image

Expert
Highlands Ranch, CO
scooter4867 - 2010-01-13 1:16 PMHi Scott,

I went to "Treads" Bike shop in Parker today.  They had a couple of Triathlon Shorts / Singlets, but none in my size (med) and cost way too much (cheaper on line).  I will be going to the "Bike Source" next week at lunch time (Wednesday @ 12pm) to talk with them and look at their stuff.  If you could meet me there, that would be great.....but if you can't that's fine as well.

I really appriciate all your input.
Randy
Sounds good. I will check my schedule and see if I can meet you. Yeah, tri apparel can be expensive.
2010-01-14 9:31 AM
in reply to: #2612916

User image

Aurora, CO
Cool....let me know.

I was able to find a tri-jersey on the DeSoto site for $31 + $10(ship) on clearence.  Was happy to see that.

Also, I decided to do the Cherry Creek Sprint in June as my first Triathlon.  So I will be doing two sprints this year.  I just have to make sure that I am ready for them.

Thanks again,
Randy
2010-01-15 10:45 AM
in reply to: #2613582

User image

Expert
scooter4867 - 2010-01-14 9:31 AM Cool....let me know.

I was able to find a tri-jersey on the DeSoto site for $31 + $10(ship) on clearence.  Was happy to see that.

Also, I decided to do the Cherry Creek Sprint in June as my first Triathlon.  So I will be doing two sprints this year.  I just have to make sure that I am ready for them.

Thanks again,
Randy

Congrats on picking your race!  I think that's the most exciting part (besides crossing the finish line)!
2010-01-18 7:35 PM

User image

New user

Hey there.  Just checking in and keeping this thread active.

How did folks do over the weekend?  I got in a long run and felt pretty good at the end of it.

Has anyone else read Born to Run  http://www.amazon.com/Born-Run-Hidden-Superathletes-Greatest/dp/030... ?  If you're looking for some nice inspiration to help you get out and crank out some miles, this is it.  I really enjoyed it.

2010-01-18 7:57 PM
in reply to: #2620636

User image

Expert
Highlands Ranch, CO

Great training on Saturday with both a run and ride.  I had to take an unexpected off day yesterday, but given I had the day off for MLK, I was able to get my long run in this morning.  I haven't read the book but will be sure to check it out.  

Not that I need much motivation right now.  I am just absolutely in love with running right now! I know, call me crazy.

2010-01-18 7:58 PM

User image

Expert
Perth, Australia
I did a brick Saturday morning and then did my first group ride up into the Perth Hills on Sunday - what an intro; 6.3% incline, 26C and a 19km/h wind. Loved it although it was terrifying coming back down and I don't think I want to do that descent ever again. My hands still hurt from squeezing the brakes so much. The book looks really interesting, I love inspirational books about running - I'm still working my way through "The Lore of Running".
2010-01-18 8:05 PM

User image

Veteran
Charlotte, NC
As most of you know this weekend was my first trip to the pool for some swim lessons. Basically getting my technique improved! I've got a lot of work to do, but I'm pretty excited about improving and getting in race shape!!! Now I just need to make the jump to some "Less Modest" swimming trunks....I'm sure my surfing shorts are creating just a smidge of drag in the old pool! Look out ladies at the Y!!!!

I hope everyone else had a great weekend!!
Dave
2010-01-18 8:16 PM
in reply to: #2620683

User image

Expert
Highlands Ranch, CO
triwolfpack - 2010-01-18 7:05 PMAs most of you know this weekend was my first trip to the pool for some swim lessons. Basically getting my technique improved! I've got a lot of work to do, but I'm pretty excited about improving and getting in race shape!!! Now I just need to make the jump to some "Less Modest" swimming trunks....I'm sure my surfing shorts are creating just a smidge of drag in the old pool! Look out ladies at the Y!!!!I hope everyone else had a great weekend!!Dave
HA! Just let everyone know the water in the pool is really cold and you'll be fine.
2010-01-18 9:17 PM
in reply to: #2620683

User image

Aurora, CO
David, I know exactly know what you mean about wearing "less modest" swim trunks.....I have yet to switch to mine duing my trining at 24hr Fitness.  Maybe soon Embarassed.
2010-01-18 10:35 PM
in reply to: #2620636

User image

Expert
miguelthai - 2010-01-18 7:35 PM Hey there.  Just checking in and keeping this thread active.

How did folks do over the weekend?  I got in a long run and felt pretty good at the end of it.

Has anyone else read Born to Run  http://www.amazon.com/Born-Run-Hidden-Superathletes-Greatest/dp/030... ?  If you're looking for some nice inspiration to help you get out and crank out some miles, this is it.  I really enjoyed it.

I got two runs in this weekend - a shorter one on Saturday and my long run on Sunday.  I was having some issues during my long run, though.  About 3/4 of the way into my run, my left knee started feeling a little uncomfortable (not painful, just discomfort), but it went away when I stopped running.  My running partner told me it was probably my IT band, not my knee, so she showed me some stretches to do.  It felt a lot better after stretching it out, and I was able to finish the run just fine after stopping to stretch a couple of times.  I stretched & foam rolled after my run and I definitely felt the tightness in the IT band.  I lifted tonight with no issues, and foam rolled again.  This time, my legs weren't as tight as yesterday.  So hopefully that means that issue is solved and I'll be good to go for my run tomorrow.

A friend actually bought me that book for Christmas, so I just started reading it.  I'm still really early in the book, but it seems like it'll be interesting!

2010-01-19 11:29 AM

User image

Aurora, CO

Hey Scott,  I am still planning on going to "The Bike Source" tomorrow (01/20/2010) at lunch time (12pm).  Let me know if you can meet me there.  Not sure if we can leave personal info on here....otherwise I would leave my cell number.

Randy

2010-01-19 11:53 AM
in reply to: #2620914

User image

New user

I got two runs in this weekend - a shorter one on Saturday and my long run on Sunday.  I was having some issues during my long run, though.  About 3/4 of the way into my run, my left knee started feeling a little uncomfortable (not painful, just discomfort), but it went away when I stopped running.  My running partner told me it was probably my IT band, not my knee, so she showed me some stretches to do.  It felt a lot better after stretching it out, and I was able to finish the run just fine after stopping to stretch a couple of times.  I stretched & foam rolled after my run and I definitely felt the tightness in the IT band.  I lifted tonight with no issues, and foam rolled again.  This time, my legs weren't as tight as yesterday.  So hopefully that means that issue is solved and I'll be good to go for my run tomorrow.

A friend actually bought me that book for Christmas, so I just started reading it.  I'm still really early in the book, but it seems like it'll be interesting!

Last year after my marathon I tried to really increase my running speed and quickly started to experience some bad IT band issues on my left knee.  Since then I've looked into running form quite seriously, reading both Chi Running and about the Pose method of running.  What I found was that as I increased my speed I was running more and more heel to toe rather than staying on the balls of my foot.  That seems to have really aggravated my IT band.

Now, after spending a month or two really focusing on my running style (using Chi Running) I'm running faster than I was and with no knee pain at all (though my calves are still getting pretty sore).  It's also given me something to really concentrate on while running - keep my form proper.

I definitely recommend looking into either Chi Running or Pose running (they're both quite similar) and spending some time thinking about running form.  It could very well help with the knee issues.

2010-01-19 12:57 PM
in reply to: #2621867

User image

Expert
miguelthai - 2010-01-19 11:53 AM

Last year after my marathon I tried to really increase my running speed and quickly started to experience some bad IT band issues on my left knee.  Since then I've looked into running form quite seriously, reading both Chi Running and about the Pose method of running.  What I found was that as I increased my speed I was running more and more heel to toe rather than staying on the balls of my foot.  That seems to have really aggravated my IT band.

Now, after spending a month or two really focusing on my running style (using Chi Running) I'm running faster than I was and with no knee pain at all (though my calves are still getting pretty sore).  It's also given me something to really concentrate on while running - keep my form proper.

I definitely recommend looking into either Chi Running or Pose running (they're both quite similar) and spending some time thinking about running form.  It could very well help with the knee issues.

Thanks for the advice!  I'll definitely look into that.  My running partner also suggested it might be related to running form and gave me a few tips on how to run to keep stress off the IT band.  It'll be good to read up on it and nip the problem in the bud before it develops into anything serious!
2010-01-19 2:24 PM
in reply to: #2621791

User image

Expert
Highlands Ranch, CO
scooter4867 - 2010-01-19 10:29 AM

Hey Scott,  I am still planning on going to "The Bike Source" tomorrow (01/20/2010) at lunch time (12pm).  Let me know if you can meet me there.  Not sure if we can leave personal info on here....otherwise I would leave my cell number.

Randy

Hey Randy.  Unfortunately, I have a meeting in the morning that will probably keep me downtown through lunch.  Wish I could make it.  The tri shop is located upstairs (univesity & c470 location). 
2010-01-19 8:18 PM
in reply to: #2620804

User image

Veteran
Charlotte, NC
Good one Scott....I'll have to keep that in mind!

Randy....When I make the jump, I'll let you know how it goes! Should be worth something on America's Funniest Videos

2010-01-19 9:03 PM

User image

Montana

Nice weekend training everyone! I got in my longest run yet on Friday (not that long for many of you!) but was happy and looking forward to a 10 miler later this week. I've started reading Chi Running and get their newsletter and would echo the recommendation for people with sore knees, IT bands etc. A novel idea that running doesn't have to be painful!

2010-01-19 9:08 PM

User image

Montana

Oh and for the guys worried about the immodest swim trunks - go for it!  In my case at least, I'm always so preoccupied by my own swimsuit, I never notice anyone else.

2010-01-20 1:55 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Glasgow, UK
Ditto on worrying about what you wear in the pool. I always worry about what I'm wearing during a race let alone in the pool but try to remind myself that at least I'm out their taking part instead of sitting on the couch!

I had a poor weekend , I was at my folks catching up with them and my gran so I had no time to train. I've managed to get back into it this week though - thank goodness.

2010-01-20 10:30 AM

User image

Expert
Quick question for those of you training for longer distances....  What type of nutrition do you use for your long runs? 

I know it's recommended to eat something carby in the morning, then take a gu or some sort of sugar every 1/2 hr or hour, but I was just wondering what you guys do?  I hadn't really thought about it before, but for my half marathons, I'd usually just drink only water for the first half of the race, take a gu with water around mile 6, then drink the gatorade they give on the course whenever I pass an aid station on the 2nd half of the race.  But since I've started marathon training, I haven't really put too much thought about my nutrition on long runs.  I just realized on my 11-miler on Sunday, I didn't take anything during my run at all.  I didn't even have water, since they've shut off most of the fountains on the run path over the winter, and I don't usually carry a waterbottle or anything during my runs.
2010-01-20 2:18 PM

User image

Official BT Coach
Englewood, CO

Hello all!  Scott asked me to post some run skills reminders.  These are posed by world famous run coach Bobby McGee.  So take a look and think about them and do them on some days before a run or at the beginning of a run.

Hope this helps!

Coach Dills

1.Good posture. Including head looking forward.

2. Lean from the ankles not the waist.

3. Vision is now at 35 feet with good lean. No looking down.

4. Chest leads the lean.

5. Foot strike is right below the belly button. Small steps.

6. Land on forefoot, not toes or heels.

7. Push the foot out the back. Remember, push, push, push.8. Arms, arm up tight and forearms brush the shirt.

9. Shoulders are relaxed.

10. More lean causes you to run faster!

Start each run with a few start and stops for about 10 meters. Do this 4-5 times to concentrate on these skills!

2010-01-20 8:15 PM
in reply to: #2623107

User image

Expert
Highlands Ranch, CO
hollybushellehill - 2010-01-19 8:03 PM

Nice weekend training everyone! I got in my longest run yet on Friday (not that long for many of you!) but was happy and looking forward to a 10 miler later this week. I've started reading Chi Running and get their newsletter and would echo the recommendation for people with sore knees, IT bands etc. A novel idea that running doesn't have to be painful!

I agree, if you are having pains when running, either you need new shoes or your form is out of whack. Hopefully the tips that Mark put down on the site will give everyone something to think about........Congrats on getting your longest run in, Holly.
2010-01-20 8:57 PM
in reply to: #2624006

User image

Expert
Highlands Ranch, CO
yogachic - 2010-01-20 9:30 AMQuick question for those of you training for longer distances....  What type of nutrition do you use for your long runs? 

I know it's recommended to eat something carby in the morning, then take a gu or some sort of sugar every 1/2 hr or hour, but I was just wondering what you guys do?  I hadn't really thought about it before, but for my half marathons, I'd usually just drink only water for the first half of the race, take a gu with water around mile 6, then drink the gatorade they give on the course whenever I pass an aid station on the 2nd half of the race.  But since I've started marathon training, I haven't really put too much thought about my nutrition on long runs.  I just realized on my 11-miler on Sunday, I didn't take anything during my run at all.  I didn't even have water, since they've shut off most of the fountains on the run path over the winter, and I don't usually carry a waterbottle or anything during my runs.
I think nutrition and hydration is very specific to the individual. For me personally, I rarely eat anything before working out, but will have a cup of coffee. If I do eat, its 100-250 calories and with majority of it carbs. But that would be for a 2 plus hour training session. Now on running sessions less than 1.5 hours, I won't eat anything during. For longer runs, I will bring a GU and take it on the hour and have hydration when needed. I will always have water/gatorade on rides as its just easier to carry. There is only so many calories your body can process every hour (I think roughly 350) and taking in more than that will cause GI problems. So on longer training sessions, experiment with starting out with a certain number of calories (say 200) and if your body can handle that, next session increase the calories. It's really trial and error.Sorry if this is all over the map, I am typing and playing battleship with my son at the same time.
2010-01-20 10:37 PM

User image

New user

My own routine is that for longer workouts (>1.5 hours) I eat some oatmeal beforehand - maybe 30 minutes before.

On my most recent long run (2.5 hours) I decided to try to eat some gel/GU every 45 minutes and that seemed to be pretty good.  Previously I would eat every hour and at about the 3 hour mark I'd conk out.

Any run over 7-8 miles I'll carry some water with me.  I've got an Ultimate Direction fanny pack that carries a single bottle in it and I really like it.

I've heard that it is just best to find your own routine that works for you and stick to it.  Don't wait until you're thirsty or hungry as that's too late.
2010-01-21 3:42 PM

User image

Expert
Oooh!  Thanks Coach Dills, for the run tips!

Scott & Michael - thanks for the nutrition talk!  It's been on my mind recently since my long runs are getting longer, and one of my running partners expressed surprise that I haven't been taking anything on my 9, 10, & 11 mile runs.  I always eat before all my runs regardless of length because I tend to get hungry during my run if I don't... I just haven't thought about what to take during the run.  Since my long runs are generally only going to get longer, I figure I should start experimenting with my nutrition so that I have it nailed once my runs start approaching 3+ hours.  It helps to hear what other people do & what their experiences are!
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » sbreaux's group CLOSED!!! Rss Feed  

of 9