BT Development Mentor Program Archives » kenj's group - closed with a great bunch of triathletes in training!!! Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 29

2010-01-03 7:48 AM
in reply to: #2589207

User image

Pro
Canandaigua NY
Subject: RE: kenj's group - closed with a great bunch of triathletes in training!!!

DougJ - 2010-01-02 12:46 PM Ken and Iceman,
thanks for all the info,,, I applied this afternoon for my USAT year membership, or at least my wife is faxing it over to them.

IceMan, any chance of seeing you at the Branson HIM?

You'll get some additional discount offers on wetsuits from them I beleive!

2010-01-03 7:51 AM
in reply to: #2589418

User image

Pro
Canandaigua NY
Subject: RE: kenj's group - closed with a great bunch of triathletes in training!!!

selonimes - 2010-01-02 3:03 PM So I was a little late with the Challenge but today was a good day. I did my Couch to 5k day 2, but in addition to that I completed via both run and walking the 5k loop I created in my neighborhood. It was great because I figure eventually the loop will get shorter and shorter and before I know it I will just have to run it twice, or seek new places to go! Was a very windy day that reminded me of Fall in Boston, but being that its Florida and I have a cold, the air was a bit rough on the lungs. Could have been that or the sucking wind I was doing LOL! Anyway I am happy about the start to the new year. Found a bike in the garage thats pretty new at my in laws, its a mountain bike but right now anything is good to get. Now I go try my hand at the fish...maybe I will be just as lucky as the other day. Sorry the cold front came in to Florida there Ken...its going to be cool so I assume that will be great for the Disney Race. Anyone care to share their weight loss stories? I was curious if in the process of training how much people changed diet, or was it just a combo of having healthy foods and the training that proved to help.

Day one done! Great!  Good job on just finding a bike to start out on!  No need to rush into a purchase until you know what you want.  Saddle time is most important now!  Just make sure it is reasonably close to the right size so you don't hurt yourself!

As far as the weather, my in-laws just expect cold weather when ever I come as I am blamed for bringing it with me!

2010-01-03 7:53 AM
in reply to: #2590350

kenj - 2010-01-03 8:48 AM

I ordered a Xterra sleeveless last night direct from their web site, at $99 it seemed like a no brainer. The local reviews were good as were outside reviews.
2010-01-03 7:57 AM
in reply to: #2578675

User image

Pro
Canandaigua NY

Great idea to share the weight loss stories, or any story about yourselves that you want to share.  I have enjoyed and am inspired by the stories I have read here so far!!

I will share my journey with weight loss when I have an internet connection that doesn't cut me off in the middle of a page!

Have a great Sunday everyone and Happy training!!!

2010-01-03 7:58 AM
in reply to: #2590362

User image

Pro
Canandaigua NY

DougJ - 2010-01-03 8:53 AM
kenj - 2010-01-03 8:48 AM

I ordered a Xterra sleeveless last night direct from their web site, at $99 it seemed like a no brainer. The local reviews were good as were outside reviews.

I beleive that is a great deal and I know that they are pretty easy to work with if it doesnt fit or you aren't happy with it!  I assume your open water swimming oportunities are all frozen over right now, but do you have one for when the weather turns?

2010-01-03 8:09 AM
in reply to: #2590367

kenj - 2010-01-03 8:58 AM  I assume your open water swimming oportunities are all frozen over right now,

Not as bad as some but more than others, back yard yesterday.

(DSC00662.JPG)

Attachments
----------------
DSC00662.JPG (94KB - 10 downloads)

2010-01-03 9:37 AM

Hiya and Happy New Year Everyone,
I've just been catching up on all of the posts and am excited to be a part of this group. I'm starting the training tommorrow and really looking forward to sharing my ups and downs with you guys. I'm getting alot of negative feedback from my family...they all think I'm nuts to start something like this now..at my age...give me a break! When did that become an issue! Anyway, I'm not going to let that stop me. I'm heading out now to do a 5k walk with my golden retreiver, Bailey, who is looking at me with thoose big browns of hers begging for some excersize. It's going to hurt, it's -20 with the wind chill, and snowing...burrrrrrr.
Talk to you tommorrow,
Heather
2010-01-03 10:02 AM
in reply to: #2584767

Hi Ken,
Thanks for the heart rate info. It's going to help me stay in the right zone. I tend to go all out and then burn out.
2010-01-03 10:39 AM

User image

Champion
SRQ, FL
Hey guys.  Sorry for the delay in posting my details but have been busy painting the kitchen (fun fun fun).

My name is Sean.  I'm a professional mechanical engineer and own a company that makes custom automation machinery and robotic assembly workcells down in Sarasota, FL (www.rndautomation.com)

I'm 35, married with an 8 year old boy and 1 year old girl who we call our "little training killer"

I was active in tris in HS and college then I discovered booze and women   Took a 15 year break and a few years back started back again.  The last few years I have been doing sprint and OLY distance races and have been battling a number of nagging injuries (the latest two being a herniated L5-S1 disk and a new knee problem).

Was supposed to be doing the Disney 1/2 with my wife (and Ken) but with the back problems I have not been able to train enough and have decided to just go to support my wife.

My big races this year are St. Anthony's in April (OLY that I do every year) and I'm seriously considering Augusta 70.3 in September.  I'll throw in a few sprints and 5ks-10ks in there.  I also need to pick a 1/2 mary to make up for the Disney.

I've been doing this for a while so I can help with a lot of the easy questions.  I was in Ken's mentor group last year and really got a lot out of it. 

Take care and I'll be seeing you all around.

Edited by TriRSquared 2010-01-03 10:41 AM
2010-01-03 11:04 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Normal, Ill.
Doug - great choice.  Great brand and that is a terrific price.  You can't go wrong.  And as Ken said, you can get other discounts because you are a member of USAT. 

Go4girl - tell them you know a cancer survivor who was 400 pounds in 2005 who started triathlons at age 57 in 2009 and LOVE IT.  You're just a kid.

TriRSquared - sorry about your injuries.  They are a pain. Pun intended. Best to give time for healing, I agree.  Sounds like a great year ahead for you.  I took time off for 20 years to chase girls and booze.  Sober now 21 years.  Best thing I ever did, tied for that honor with marrying the woman I did and getting into triathlon.

I hope you have a great day, everyone.  I'm headed down to the trainer to do two hours of submax spinning.  I think I'll watch that cycling movie, I forget the name, based on the old Colorado stage race with that guy from Dancing With Wolves in his first ever role.  You can see I'm an expert movie critic. Made by the same director who did the movie about the Indiana University bike race, whatever it's called. 

2010-01-03 11:10 AM
in reply to: #2590589

User image

Champion
SRQ, FL
American Flyers was the movie...

2010-01-03 11:20 AM

Went to the library yesterday and found the book "Total Immersion: The Revolutionary Way to Swim Better, Faster, and Easier".
Just about through chapter 1 and will be going to the pool in a couple hours to practice what I have read. Balance and being tall in the water and anything else covered in this chapter.
His (Terry Laughlin) techniques sound easy enough, just need to implement them.
Because I'm not a swimmer and its been years since I have swam, picking up new techniques should be doable. I just need to empty my mind of everything I thought I knew and openly accept what he says.
Piece of cake,,,, we'll see.
2010-01-03 11:57 AM
in reply to: #2590618

User image

Welllington, NZ
go4girl - 2010-01-04 4:37 AM I'm getting alot of negative feedback from my family...they all think I'm nuts to start something like this now..at my age...give me a break! When did that become an issue! Anyway, I'm not going to let that stop me. I'm heading out now to do a 5k walk with my golden retreiver, Bailey, who is looking at me with thoose big browns of hers begging for some excersize.

Heather, that really sucks. I'm lucky i have the support of my family. If you can get your family on your side and supporting you it would be a huge advantage. But if not, we'll be here to support you. I think you'll find that as we age we are able to take on these challenges (which get harder) with greater vigour and determination - our mental strength is stronger and that means we are able to tackle these endurance type races better than when we were younger - that's certainly the case for me. Just stick with it (continuity is certainly the key here), keep safe and don't stress your body into injury - and you'll do great.

DougJ - 2010-01-04 6:20 AM Went to the library yesterday and found the book "Total Immersion: The Revolutionary Way to Swim Better, Faster, and Easier".
Just about through chapter 1 and will be going to the pool in a couple hours to practice what I have read. Balance and being tall in the water and anything else covered in this chapter.
His (Terry Laughlin) techniques sound easy enough, just need to implement them. Piece of cake,,,, we'll see.

Doug - there's a few TI vid's on youtube that are worth watching - it all looks so effortless when you see it done! I've been throwing in some TI drills into my swim time where possible - don't know if it's helping but i'm going to keep doing them because what they say makes perfect sense. I've not got a swim coach yet, i want to be able to at least swim a little before shelling out for one so i can try and take the most advantage of the lessons.

As i don't have a proper tri plan i've kinda made my own and am putting my own drills into my training - l don't know if you guys know of it but i'm also trying www.swimplan.com drills too.

Let us know what you think of it, cheers,

Lewis.

Edited by lbishop 2010-01-03 12:06 PM
2010-01-03 12:52 PM
in reply to: #2590667

lbishop - 2010-01-03 12:57 PM

Doug - there's a few TI vid's on youtube that are worth watching - it all looks so effortless when you see it done!

Lewis.

Thanks for the You Tube suggestion, a visual aid helps a lot.

I've read the chapter and watched about 20 You Tube videos. I understand the concept and principles behind the techniques and drills so far. I now need to make my body follow my brain. Basically, I just need to follow through with what I just learned.

Off to the pool, catch ya all later,,,
2010-01-03 2:22 PM
in reply to: #2590490

User image

Pro
Canandaigua NY

go4girl - 2010-01-03 10:37 AM Hiya and Happy New Year Everyone,
I've just been catching up on all of the posts and am excited to be a part of this group. I'm starting the training tommorrow and really looking forward to sharing my ups and downs with you guys. I'm getting alot of negative feedback from my family...they all think I'm nuts to start something like this now..at my age...give me a break! When did that become an issue! Anyway, I'm not going to let that stop me. I'm heading out now to do a 5k walk with my golden retreiver, Bailey, who is looking at me with thoose big browns of hers begging for some excersize. It's going to hurt, it's -20 with the wind chill, and snowing...burrrrrrr.
Talk to you tommorrow,
Heather

Thats too bad about you getting negative feedback Heather!  Stick around here and we will keep you going! But seriously, you have to tune that noise out as it can become easy to give up when no one is supporting you at home!  Use that energy to push through the hard times!  The next couple of weeks and months are key to building strong habits of scheduling your workouts as an important part of your day.  Hang in there and we will be your support group!

2010-01-03 2:27 PM

User image

Pro
Canandaigua NY

Another thing I would like to have you all start thinking about is looking at training schedules!  I see we have goal races early in the year and late and everything in between!  A lot of you are fairly new at this and the enthusiasm is great!!!  But we need a plan so we don't burn out or start to hard and get injured!  I encourage you all to look at the plans here on BT or some of the others in books and on line.  Most training plans run 17 to 25 weeks, but you need to be able to do the first week reasonably well so you can't start at nothing! 

Lets discuss!

2010-01-03 2:28 PM
in reply to: #2590741

User image

Pro
Canandaigua NY

DougJ - 2010-01-03 1:52 PM
lbishop - 2010-01-03 12:57 PM

Doug - there's a few TI vid's on youtube that are worth watching - it all looks so effortless when you see it done!

Lewis.

Thanks for the You Tube suggestion, a visual aid helps a lot.

I've read the chapter and watched about 20 You Tube videos. I understand the concept and principles behind the techniques and drills so far. I now need to make my body follow my brain. Basically, I just need to follow through with what I just learned.

Off to the pool, catch ya all later,,,

Be patient with the TI!  It is a very good program, but if you try to rush the program it can become frustrating!  Great program with some real important drills that have to be done over and over!!!

Good find Doug!

2010-01-03 3:48 PM
in reply to: #2590858

kenj - 2010-01-03 3:27 PM

Lets discuss!

I am all for an organized workout/ program. As I have said earlier, I need to get a good structure/base down prior to a plan. Meaning, (for me personally) I need to learn how to swim. What good is it to follow a program that wants me to swim 4X 50yds when I sink in the first 2 ft.? May sound a bit sarcastic, but I think you get my point. If you have an idea on how to get around this, I'm all ears.
2010-01-03 4:39 PM
in reply to: #2590971

User image

Welllington, NZ
DougJ - 2010-01-04 10:48 AM 
What good is it to follow a program that wants me to swim 4X 50yds when I sink in the first 2 ft.? May sound a bit sarcastic, but I think you get my point. If you have an idea on how to get around this, I'm all ears.

Doug,

Sounds like you're close to where i was a short while back. All i can suggest is to do lengths to get comfortable - i was doing 1 length freestyle breathing on the left, then a breaststroke to let me catch my breath, then another freestyle breathing on the right, then a breaststoke, then a bilateral freestyle... etc ... you get my drift. And every few lengths, i'd throw in a drill. And do you know what, it's very rewarding - you may struggle with a drill length but then after you go back to a normal length it's like "WOW, that actually seems easier"! I can only say it's like walking with a heavy backpack for a while then taking it off and floating! Smile

My biggest tip would be to let your head drop to a comfortable position mostly looking down whilst swimming - i hated it as i felt i was gasping for air (and i still do a little) but it makes a huge difference. No longer are my legs dragging because my heads up, my shoulders ache less and i'm not slowing down between breaths - all those things make it harder to maintain the glide in the water. Try it, honestly, i've got the biggest gains so far from it...

If you really feel you can't swim then lessons are in order. If like me, you can but it's uncomfortable, just keep with it! After 4 weeks of 2 swims/wk i'm finding my breathing getting better and i need to intersperse less breaststroke lengths in -  i'm sure the you'll find the same progress with continual training...

Good luck!

Lewis.

Edited by lbishop 2010-01-03 4:44 PM
2010-01-03 8:52 PM

User image

New user
Anyone have any suggestions on a beginner set up for gear.  Bare minimum and middle of the road set ups?  Just curious how everyone started out!   Doug- Miss the snow sometimes lol but tonight my ride was cold enough for me!

Edited by selonimes 2010-01-03 8:56 PM
2010-01-03 9:50 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Normal, Ill.

Check this out for visualization on the swim stroke. 

http://www.swimsmooth.com/

If you subscribe to the Web site, you can download a Mr. Smooth that lets you see the perfect stroke at any angle at any speed.  I did and I saw two main things that really helped me already.  I look at it before I go swim.

They also send really good tips via email.

Also, for info on gear to get started, I just saw an article on the main page of BT on that very topic. 

Basics;

You'll need goggles.  Many tris are early in the year so wetsuits are a major plus in cold water.  They also provide buoyancy;

You'll need a bike.  Basic road bike with clip on aerobars is a start.  But at your first sprint tri, you'll see people on everything from mountain bikes to hybrids to road bikes to time trial bikes. Get the best used or new road bike you can afford without breaking your budget.  You'll want to add things like a cyclometer.  Before you buy a bike, get fitted at the bike shop so you know exactly what size you need, Ride lots of bikes. One will eventually whisper, "I'm the one you want.  I am so comfortable for you to ride.  Buy me."

Run, get good shoes. Go to a store that specializes and pay the $100 for a good pair.  They help avoid injury.

A heart rate monitor helps you plan workout intensities. Most training programs work with them.  Later on if your really get into it, power meters on the bike are great, but they are several hundred bucks and not needed at first or ever.

My feeling is that you need to spend enough to get good equipment that will help you, not hinder you or discourage you from continuing.  People always ask me, How much money to you have in bikes?  (I've collected several since 2005, including two really good road bikes and a TT bike.) I tell them, Far less than the cost of an ambulance ride to the hospital and a day in intensive care with a heart attack from not doing anything.  They usually see my point.

Also, I save money by bargin hunting and I took four classes on bike building and wheel building.  Two of my bikes, a titanium LeMond road bike and an Orbea Ordu TT bike were builds.  I saved half the cost by buuying frames at bargin prices and building them from scratch. Along the way I've learned how to do most of my own maintanence.  There are some things I won't do because it is easier and faster and safer to pay someone who makes their living at it, but I do all my own daily maintanence and can keep a bike moving on a race course. 

Edited by IceManScott 2010-01-04 7:17 AM

2010-01-04 7:01 AM
in reply to: #2591551

selonimes - 2010-01-03 9:52 PM Anyone have any suggestions on a beginner set up for gear.  Bare minimum and middle of the road set ups?  Just curious how everyone started out!

Bare minimum:
Cycling- An entry level bike $500, helmet $35, bike shoes $75, bike shorts $55
Running- Shoes $60, Shorts $10, Sweats $15
Swimming- Shorts $30, goggles $10, membership to pool $160, wetsuit $99

of course these are all newly bought prices in my area or current prices I have found on the net. I'm sure bargains can be found, sales ads are abundant throughout the net if you don't mind the shipping part of it.
Bike shoes and shorts probably aren't needed from the get go, but I highly recommend them. Stay away from big box store bikes walmart, target, kmart etc,.
The pool membership is what it cost me for a years pass, that can be reduced if you pay per visit and only go 2-3 times a week or find a free pool to use.

These would be the BARE minimum from my perspective.

***EDIT INSERTED***
I answered the question before reading IceMan's reply. He makes a very good point, "buy the best you can without having to file chapter 11". The main thing (as I see it) is to live a healthier life style and to have fun. If I'm stressing about the cost of this then chances are I'm not truly enjoying. Don't try to buy everything at once (obviously). I'm a great internet bargain shopper, if your looking for something to purchase, ask me and I'll look at my bookmarks to see what I can find.

IceManScott - 2010-01-03 10:50 PM
Check this out for visualization on the swim stroke. 

http://www.swimsmooth.com/

If you subscribe to the Web site, you can download a Mr. Smooth that lets you see the perfect stroke at any angle at any speed.  I did and I saw two main things that really helped me already.  I look at it before I go swim.

They also send really good tips via email.

Thanks IceMan,,, this will be a very good visual aid. Need to figure out how to get it on my phone now.

Edited by DougJ 2010-01-04 7:46 AM
2010-01-04 7:32 AM

User image

Pro
Canandaigua NY

Doug and Iceman both offer very good points on equipment!  The only thing I could add is to make sure the bike is the right fit and comfortable for YOU!  A poorly fitting bike will be uncomfortable for long rides at best and could cause injury at worse!  Search the forums for bike fit and you will find dozens of threads on the topic.

As far as shoes, I always go to one of the local running specialty shops to try shoes on.  They both video tape your gait and put you in a shoe that is appropriate for you, plus with the time on the treadmill while taping you can get a pretty good idea of the comfort level.  Once I find a pair I like I will look for deals on the net from zappos, etc.  But generally the first pair is $100.00 plus.  One of the down sides to buying shoes on sale locally is it usually means they are at the end of the product cycle and if you like them, you will struggle to replace them.

Just my 2 cents.

2010-01-04 5:52 PM

Regular
Ok, so I'm a little late on the posts. i am trying to move a 3 bedroom house right now into storage and then move it to a new house in another state. All my stuff is everywhere. My goals for this month is to get settled into a new house. I count packing and moving boxes through the house and up/down stairs as part of my "new" workout....lol. I do try to concentrate on form and function. It's my strength workouts..and I do try to work continuously for at least 30 minutes at a time. My bike right now is in GA and my trainer is in AL. I plan on taking it back with me and at least I can start riding. My apt has a treadmill, so I will make time for that also. I guess my other goal is to start getting into a routine. I work nights, so it's difficult sometimes to get the sleep/work/exercise "thing" down, especially with 12 hour shifts. I will be back in GA on Thursday and as much as I would like to get outside to at least walk, I HATE cold weather and we're getting hit pretty hard (for us) right now. Highs in the 20's do not do it for me...lol. Alright, check back with all of you tomorrow.
2010-01-04 5:59 PM

User image

New user
Anyone have any suggestions regarding lower back pain while jogging? I have extra weight which once I lose that I know will help, but since many of us have had weight loss success, I wondered if there is something that can help to ease the pain that can creep in. Niasa- Good luck with the move!!

Edited by selonimes 2010-01-04 5:59 PM
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » kenj's group - closed with a great bunch of triathletes in training!!! Rss Feed  

of 29