BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Tim & Laura's Mentor Group - CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 6

2010-02-06 11:19 PM
in reply to: #2658488

User image

Extreme Veteran
Southeast, PA
Subject: RE: Tim & Laura's Mentor Group - CLOSED
Atlantia - 2010-02-06 10:08 AM

There's quite a bit of snow on the ground, but I'm not worried. I got all my planned runs in earlier this week, travel plans have be changed to March, and my fridge is full of beer. I have lots of rented movies, and I hoped to spend some time on the trainer this morning. Why can't I? A flat! I've never had a flat before. I'm feeling particularly dumb because I don't have any tools, tubes, or anything, and of course nothing is open in this storm. Do I just take a few days off? Can I ride on the trainer with a flat, or is that pointless?

We got a ton of snow in Philadelphia as well...just shy of 2ft!

If the flat is on the front wheel, they you should be ok to ride the trainer over the wknd. If the flat is on the rear, they you'll be SOL.

What's your beer of choice?

-Tim

2010-02-06 11:20 PM
in reply to: #2659013

User image

Extreme Veteran
Southeast, PA
Aflores - 2010-02-06 6:10 PM
Hmmm, beer and movies, that's sounds like a great way to take a break =) I just learned how to change a flat, I had to since I will be doing my first sprint tri and my husband won't be there to help me with my flat. I don't know anything about trainers and flats. I hope you get the answer you need. Good luck, I guess I can't complain about our rain, considering how much snow you are getting.Tim - thanks for the tip about posting a question, I got some good recommendations for swimming training/coaches.

Awesome...glad to hear it worked out.
2010-02-10 7:40 PM
in reply to: #2583571

User image

Master
Falls Church, Virginia
Okay, I am really done with this snow. Motivation sapped, flat tire, no tubes, can't run, gym closed. Whine whine whine.
I'm considering doing an earlier race. I had originally thought about doing a mini in July, but I think I can do a sprint in May. If I can ever find my motivation again. Too early, or the perfect thing? I think its tough trying to keep on training with no real race in sight, so I think doing Virginia Run is the right thing to do. I did it in 07, and I'd like to do it again.

konichiwa - 2010-02-07 12:19 AM

What's your beer of choice?

Mostly Miller Lite, a bit of Stella, and some Woodchuck hard cider. Only a few left!

Edited by Atlantia 2010-02-10 7:44 PM
2010-02-14 1:40 PM
in reply to: #2657194

User image

Aflores - 2010-02-05 1:03 PM I'm going for a swim today, the first time in a long time.  But this time it will be with a purpose and not for lounging.  I am a bit nervous, I've never been a strong swimmer.  Any tips?  

I was thinking of getting a swim coach to help take the nervous edge off. The thing is that I don't even know how to find a coach. I'm a bit scared.  I signed up for the Pasadena Sprint Tri.  When I saw the pool and found out how long a 150m was I almost fainted (not really, but you know what I mean).

I hope you are all doing well with your training.  I wish I lived near all of you so we could all train together.

Regards, take care, and stay warm,
Aileen

Aileen,
I'm in total agreement with you on the pool and swimming.  Hopefully finding a coach will help.   I started going to the pool in January (2x week) and I'm starting to see progess.   My goal for February is to go swimming three times a week.   Not having a swimming background, this is where I struggle.   But I remember when I first started running (Wow, almost ten years ago) after a 20 year affair with nicotine.   It wasn't easy and I spent a lot of time gasping for air but that was only at the beginning.     Stay strong!
Frank
2010-02-19 11:54 AM
in reply to: #2672447

User image

Aileen,
I'm in total agreement with you on the pool and swimming.  Hopefully finding a coach will help.   I started going to the pool in January (2x week) and I'm starting to see progess.   My goal for February is to go swimming three times a week.   Not having a swimming background, this is where I struggle.   But I remember when I first started running (Wow, almost ten years ago) after a 20 year affair with nicotine.   It wasn't easy and I spent a lot of time gasping for air but that was only at the beginning.     Stay strong!
Frank

Frank,
How's the swimming going?   Thanks for the encouragement!
Aileen

2010-02-19 2:31 PM
in reply to: #2666921

User image

Extreme Veteran
Southeast, PA
Miller Lite is my stand-by...when I "class it up" I tend to go for a hefeweizen...a Franziskaner or Hoegaarden do the trick!

2010-02-19 4:09 PM
in reply to: #2682378

User image

konichiwa - 2010-02-19 2:31 PMMiller Lite is my stand-by...when I "class it up" I tend to go for a hefeweizen...a Franziskaner or Hoegaarden do the trick!
When I finish my first 1/2 marathon on Sunday, I am going to have several beers and a big fat steak!!! Since I've started training I haven't had a beer, but Sunday will be the day! I think I'll have a hef.
2010-02-20 6:53 AM
in reply to: #2682613

User image

Extreme Veteran
Southeast, PA
Aflores - 2010-02-19 5:09 PM

konichiwa - 2010-02-19 2:31 PMMiller Lite is my stand-by...when I "class it up" I tend to go for a hefeweizen...a Franziskaner or Hoegaarden do the trick!
When I finish my first 1/2 marathon on Sunday, I am going to have several beers and a big fat steak!!! Since I've started training I haven't had a beer, but Sunday will be the day! I think I'll have a hef.

that is awesome aileen. be sure to keep us posted on how the race went. btw, my post-race guilty pleasure is donuts. granted i do cheat from time-to-time, but its all but guaranteed that i eat a donut (or two) after any race.

2010-02-21 10:21 PM

User image

I had to do a lot of walking for my first 1/2 marathon.  Anytime I felt a twinge in my calf, I had to walk because I feared that the injury would come back.  Especially when the doctor advised me NOT to do today's run and wanted me to wait until my calf muscle healed.  Sorry, no, I trained 14 weeks for this day and I was determined to not drop out.  I was happy with the results, my goals for today were to finish, to not come in last, and to have a good time.  I did all three.  Now I have a time to beat for my next 1/2 marathon.

I was totally beat after.  My toes, feet, ankles, calfs, and legs are sore.  I am going to get a massage tomorrow.  Is a May 2 1/2 marathon too soon to shoot for after?  I also am doing a sprint tri (my first one) on March 20.  Still afraid of the swim! 

Oh, and I didn't have my beer =( But I did eat eggs benedict after the run, which was yummy. 
2010-02-22 7:37 AM
in reply to: #2685186

User image

Aflores - 2010-02-21 11:21 PM I had to do a lot of walking for my first 1/2 marathon.  Anytime I felt a twinge in my calf, I had to walk because I feared that the injury would come back.  Especially when the doctor advised me NOT to do today's run and wanted me to wait until my calf muscle healed.  Sorry, no, I trained 14 weeks for this day and I was determined to not drop out.  I was happy with the results, my goals for today were to finish, to not come in last, and to have a good time.  I did all three.  Now I have a time to beat for my next 1/2 marathon.

I was totally beat after.  My toes, feet, ankles, calfs, and legs are sore.  I am going to get a massage tomorrow.  Is a May 2 1/2 marathon too soon to shoot for after?  I also am doing a sprint tri (my first one) on March 20.  Still afraid of the swim! 

Oh, and I didn't have my beer =( But I did eat eggs benedict after the run, which was yummy. 

Way to go, Aileen!   Excellent!   Running a half marathon is no easy feat, so congratulations are definitely in order.   As for your time -- hey, didn't you achieve a personal best?   Even with a nagging injury?   Nah, we all want to run faster, swifter than what the clock shows but the exciting part is being at the start line and completing the distance.   Everything else is secondary.   So, have that beer!   
2010-02-22 3:01 PM
in reply to: #2685186

User image

Master
Falls Church, Virginia
Aflores - 2010-02-21 11:21 PM

I had to do a lot of walking for my first 1/2 marathon.  Anytime I felt a twinge in my calf, I had to walk because I feared that the injury would come back.  Especially when the doctor advised me NOT to do today's run and wanted me to wait until my calf muscle healed.  Sorry, no, I trained 14 weeks for this day and I was determined to not drop out.  I was happy with the results, my goals for today were to finish, to not come in last, and to have a good time.  I did all three.  Now I have a time to beat for my next 1/2 marathon.

Congrats! You are so strong to have gotten out there and got it done, while still listening to your body. I don't know about the May race, I say listen to your calf and your doctor to decide. You don't want to hurt yourself. But if you heal up, wouldn't it be great to get out there and run one healthy?

2010-02-25 6:20 PM
in reply to: #2682378

User image

konichiwa - 2010-02-19 3:31 PM Miller Lite is my stand-by...when I "class it up" I tend to go for a hefeweizen...a Franziskaner or Hoegaarden do the trick!

Beer!  Ah, what a wonderful topic!    Another vote for Miller Lite.   Also, let's not forget the dark beers....Amberbock is a favorite.  Guiness is nice.    Time to stop because otherwise I won't make it on the trainer tonight.
2010-02-26 2:46 PM

User image

Master
Falls Church, Virginia
So I got into the pool for the first time in about three years this week. I went three times, with workouts varying from 600-800 yards. Next week I think my plan has me going up to about 1200 yards. I've gotten headaches the days that I've gone to the pool, anybody else get that? I know it isn't dehydration, because my pee is practically clear. I've never had sinus problems before, and I'm not allergic to chlorine. Thoughts?
2010-02-26 9:57 PM
in reply to: #2695889

User image

Regular
Pueblo, Colorado

Yes.  Although I haven't swam in quite a while, I remember getting a head ache after swim workouts.  I always thought it was dehydration too, but I wonder if it might have something to do with the goggles?  Don't know, but I'd be interested to hear what others think.

I know this is late but I like Peroni and just about any Mexican Cerveza!

2010-02-28 2:05 PM

User image

It's never too late to talk about beer!   Can we add Tres Monts to the list?

About the post swimming headaches, are they right after you finish?   Or do they develop while swimming?    I never thought about the googles but that would make sense.
2010-02-28 3:11 PM

User image

I swam today and it was a struggle - in an indoor pool at the gym. I have to work on it. I swallowed some water when I tried to do the freestyle swim and coughed like crazy. So I just did a modified breast stroke. I got a bit scared at times, I just didn't feel confident in the water, but will work on it. I don't why I am so scared of drowning, I can swim and tread water if I get tired and scared. Just something I have to get over.Fortunately, no headache after, I hope that goes away for you, sorry to hear about that. But I am super hungry after swimming. But then again, I am always hungry! My other downfall, weight management (along with my swimming).

2010-02-28 4:22 PM
in reply to: #2698202

User image

Master
Falls Church, Virginia
TdG717 - 2010-02-28 3:05 PM

It's never too late to talk about beer!   Can we add Tres Monts to the list?

About the post swimming headaches, are they right after you finish?   Or do they develop while swimming?    I never thought about the googles but that would make sense.

Neither. They show up about two hours after I finish. Pretty weird. I'm heading back to the pool tomorrow, I'm going to check my goggle fit, and I'll report back and see if it happens again. And I am hungrier on the days I swim, too. Not sure what that's about, as I haven't been in the pool for longer than 30 minutes, so I know I'm not burning as many calories as when I'm on the trainer for an hour.

Oh, and Negro Modelo. Really good when eating fajitas. Or chips and chile con queso. Yum!

Aflores - 2010-02-28 4:11 PM

I swam today and it was a struggle - in an indoor pool at the gym. I have to work on it. I swallowed some water when I tried to do the freestyle swim and coughed like crazy. So I just did a modified breast stroke. I got a bit scared at times, I just didn't feel confident in the water, but will work on it. I don't why I am so scared of drowning, I can swim and tread water if I get tired and scared. Just something I have to get over.Fortunately, no headache after, I hope that goes away for you, sorry to hear about that. But I am super hungry after swimming. But then again, I am always hungry! My other downfall, weight management (along with my swimming).

I'm so sorry you're having such a hard time with swimming. I struggled for awhile, and then I shelled out some money for a Total Immersion weekend clinic. I'm still really slow in the water, but I'm much more comfortable and confident. And the class was back in 2004. I only swam sporadically in the intervening years, so something must have stuck with me.
Could you take a group class? Sometimes at the Y or at rec centers they have classes for adults, rather than kids. Or you could ask if any of the class instructors also teach individually. You may only need a few lessons to start feeling better.

Edited by Atlantia 2010-02-28 4:29 PM
2010-03-01 6:18 PM
in reply to: #2698279

User image

Aflores - 2010-02-28 4:11 PM I swam today and it was a struggle - in an indoor pool at the gym. I have to work on it. I swallowed some water when I tried to do the freestyle swim and coughed like crazy. So I just did a modified breast stroke. I got a bit scared at times, I just didn't feel confident in the water, but will work on it. I don't why I am so scared of drowning, I can swim and tread water if I get tired and scared. Just something I have to get over.Fortunately, no headache after, I hope that goes away for you, sorry to hear about that. But I am super hungry after swimming. But then again, I am always hungry! My other downfall, weight management (along with my swimming).

Cool!   Now, this is what you need to do: Print that.   Because in three or four weeks, you're going to see a difference.  You're going to be more confident in the pool and in your skills.   But, today, you need to print what you wrote and then you need to get to the pool.   Put in the time.   Work the water.   Hone your skills.   Keep the faith.    In a few weeks, you can look back at where you were today and you'll know that you've made progess.  
2010-03-02 8:26 AM
in reply to: #2698360

User image

Extreme Veteran
Southeast, PA
Sorry I have been MIA.

Regarding the swimming/headache issues, I would agree with goggle pressure and nutrition. Since the headaches appear so far after the swim, I tend to lean twd it being nutrition.

What time of day are you swimming?
How soon before/after do you eat?

Sometimes a simple 100cal bar before/after can make all the difference.

I'll ask Laura to chime in...I think she had some similar issues yrs ago.
-Tim
2010-03-03 8:16 AM
in reply to: #2701761

User image

Master
Falls Church, Virginia
konichiwa - 2010-03-02 9:26 AM

Sorry I have been MIA.

Regarding the swimming/headache issues, I would agree with goggle pressure and nutrition. Since the headaches appear so far after the swim, I tend to lean twd it being nutrition.

What time of day are you swimming?
How soon before/after do you eat?

Sometimes a simple 100cal bar before/after can make all the difference.

I'll ask Laura to chime in...I think she had some similar issues yrs ago.
-Tim

I am swimming first thing in the morning. I don't eat before, I just can't eat when I'm that groggy. I do eat breakfast when I get home, usually within 30 minutes of finishing my workout. Workouts have been between 600-1400 yards, and usual breakfast is some milk and a banana with either a granola bar or a bowl of oatmeal.
Oddly, I didn't have the headache at all yesterday. I didn't do anything different.
2010-03-04 4:22 PM

User image

Veteran

Regarding headaches after swimming, I am in the same boat. I can honestly say that I get, and have been getting, headaches after almost every time I swim for the past 4 years, regardless of distance, intensity, time, goggles, swim cap, you name it—this is all if I am in the pool. Open water swimming does not have the same effect on me. I've learned that it helps if I eat something on the way to the pool (usually only 100-150 calories, a bar of some sort), but it doesn't eliminate the headache, only dulls it. I tried to vary stuff as mentioned before, but the headaches persisted. And the headaches don't hit right away but about 2 hours or so after the swim, just like you said. I think its the chlorine and maybe the way I breathe? 

The other issue with feeling extra hungry after swimming: there have been studies done that show women typically feel hungriest after swimming compared with other modes of exercise. Definitely eat, but don't give in to the temptation to over-eat.  

2010-03-04 9:40 PM

User image

Regular
Pueblo, Colorado
Now it's official!  Just signed up for the Loveland Sprint Triathlon (July 24, 2010) Loveland, CO.  This will be my first triathlon.  750 yd swim, 13.5 mile ride, 4 mile run.  Still  4+ months away, but I can't wait!
2010-03-04 11:21 PM
in reply to: #2708849

User image

tedjohn - 2010-03-04 9:40 PM Now it's official!  Just signed up for the Loveland Sprint Triathlon (July 24, 2010) Loveland, CO.  This will be my first triathlon.  750 yd swim, 13.5 mile ride, 4 mile run.  Still  4+ months away, but I can't wait!

Woohoo!  That is exciting!  Congrats on signing up. 
2010-03-04 11:31 PM

User image

I am so bummed, I was going to do my first sprint triathlon on March 20th and now I can't. I have to go to DC for work from the 13 - 19th =( I know I won't recover from the travel and jet lag. Why does work have to get in the way???????? Oh well gotta pay the bills and the the triathlon and 1/2 marathon registration fees.
2010-03-05 8:02 AM
in reply to: #2708849

User image

Extreme Veteran
Southeast, PA
tedjohn - 2010-03-04 10:40 PM

Now it's official!  Just signed up for the Loveland Sprint Triathlon (July 24, 2010) Loveland, CO.  This will be my first triathlon.  750 yd swim, 13.5 mile ride, 4 mile run.  Still  4+ months away, but I can't wait!

that's awesome Ted. I'm sure you'll enjoy it. After putting in all the time training, the races are always so rewarding.
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Tim & Laura's Mentor Group - CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 6