BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Leegoocrap's Mentor Group - Closed Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 19

2010-04-20 10:03 AM
in reply to: #2798932

User image

Veteran
Subject: RE: Leegoocrap's Mentor Group - Closed
I have my first race this Saturday! It's a mini sprint- 400 yd swim, 6 mile bike, and 2 mile run. In terms of this week's training, should I hold back at all, or just do my normal schedule since it's such a short race? I was thinking about not running since I have the first twinges of runner's knee- is that a good idea?

Oh I bought a foam roller yesterday and tried it out on my quads- hooooooly sh-t! That thing is amazing. Painful, but amazing. I'm looking forward to spending some serious time with it this week to loosen up my legs and hopefully make my knees feel better.

2010-04-20 10:24 AM
in reply to: #2804022

User image

Extreme Veteran
Montreal
eca712 - 2010-04-20 11:03 AM  
Oh I bought a foam roller yesterday and tried it out on my quads- hooooooly sh-t! That thing is amazing. Painful, but amazing. I'm looking forward to spending some serious time with it this week to loosen up my legs and hopefully make my knees feel better.

Dayum, I have GOT to get myself a foam roller!  
2010-04-20 10:29 AM
in reply to: #2804022

User image

Champion
Knoxville area
eca712 - 2010-04-20 11:03 AM I have my first race this Saturday! It's a mini sprint- 400 yd swim, 6 mile bike, and 2 mile run. In terms of this week's training, should I hold back at all, or just do my normal schedule since it's such a short race? I was thinking about not running since I have the first twinges of runner's knee- is that a good idea?

I wouldn't sweat it too much... usually for sprints I keep my training normal but take the day before off. I've got some friends that taper before every race, it just kind of depends on whether this is going to be an A-race or just for fun.

Foam Rollers will definitely put you in pain... I was amazed at mine!
2010-04-20 10:57 AM
in reply to: #2804110

User image

Veteran
Seattle, Washington
Leegoocrap - 2010-04-20 9:29 AM
eca712 - 2010-04-20 11:03 AM I have my first race this Saturday! It's a mini sprint- 400 yd swim, 6 mile bike, and 2 mile run. In terms of this week's training, should I hold back at all, or just do my normal schedule since it's such a short race? I was thinking about not running since I have the first twinges of runner's knee- is that a good idea?

I wouldn't sweat it too much... usually for sprints I keep my training normal but take the day before off. I've got some friends that taper before every race, it just kind of depends on whether this is going to be an A-race or just for fun.

Foam Rollers will definitely put you in pain... I was amazed at mine!

I agree.  For my race last week, I kept my training volume the same, just cut back on intensities on Thursday and Friday and took Saturday off (Sunday race). That worked really well for me!

Glad to hear you like the roller, crazy how painful it can be huh? Totally worth it though!
2010-04-20 8:37 PM
in reply to: #2770788

User image

Champion
Knoxville area
Whew... such a long time in the pool tonight... haven't done that in a while.

It certainly get's a bit frustrating when I can see my left arm dropping as it get's tired... not sure how to strengthen it back up though :/ Maybe a curse of the collarbone metal

Hope everybody's training is going good!
2010-04-20 9:26 PM

User image

New user
Washington, DC
Sorry guys - I've been a super non-contributor. This weekend and work lately have been killer. I'll finally have some time to read these more closely tomorrow. Whoever raced/is gong to race, hope it went/goes well. Just skimmed, dead tired.

2010-04-21 11:38 AM

User image

New user
Washington, DC
All this talk of foam rollers! I don't even know how to use one. Never felt the need. Then again, I've always been pretty flexible. If I can't get my hands flat on the ground, I consider it time to limber up.

In unrelated news, it appears that at the office we will be having a pull-up contest. Can't hurt my swimming to get those biceps in better shape, and I'm AWFUL at pullups as is. Anyway, we all have different fitness levels, so we're looking at scoring it based off increase in performance over a month, but we need some kind of scoring incentive so people don't throw the base-measuring test. Any ideas? Also, anyone want to join in?
2010-04-21 1:21 PM
in reply to: #2807214

User image

Champion
Knoxville area
drphungky - 2010-04-21 12:38 PM All this talk of foam rollers! I don't even know how to use one. Never felt the need. Then again, I've always been pretty flexible. If I can't get my hands flat on the ground, I consider it time to limber up.

In unrelated news, it appears that at the office we will be having a pull-up contest. Can't hurt my swimming to get those biceps in better shape, and I'm AWFUL at pullups as is. Anyway, we all have different fitness levels, so we're looking at scoring it based off increase in performance over a month, but we need some kind of scoring incentive so people don't throw the base-measuring test. Any ideas? Also, anyone want to join in?

Learn to do "kipping" pull-ups. Do as many pull ups as you can normally, then kip an extra amount to really burn up your lats.

Also, weighted vests are a big positive.
2010-04-21 2:23 PM
in reply to: #2807214

User image

Veteran
drphungky - 2010-04-21 12:38 PM All this talk of foam rollers! I don't even know how to use one. Never felt the need. Then again, I've always been pretty flexible. If I can't get my hands flat on the ground, I consider it time to limber up.

Foam rollers are more for tightness caused by knots, rather than inflexibility. It's like a DIY massage: http://runningtimes.com/Article.aspx?ArticleID=9911You should join the party, Mr. Limber! ;)
2010-04-21 2:24 PM
in reply to: #2807581

User image

New user
Washington, DC
Ah, nice. Thanks for the suggestion. I read somewhere about doing assisted pull ups after you can't do any more, but I don't have access to an assisted pull up machine. Great tip. Keeping that one to myself, and winning the contest! Haha.
2010-04-21 2:30 PM
in reply to: #2807845

User image

New user
Washington, DC
Hmmm. Perhaps if I get chronic muscle pain I will join the party. We'll find out this weekend if I have any knots I don't know about or am just ignoring. There's a Chinese acupressure place in the Georgetown mall that is famous for being super effective at finding and getting rid of knots, not to mention being overall enjoyable. $25 for a 30 minute masssage - that's my kind of price. Headed there for joint massages for the g/fs birthday - my idea. Go figure!

2010-04-22 12:17 AM

User image

yorba linda
eca712: make sure you let us know how you did on your TRI

2010-04-22 8:32 AM

User image

Veteran
Seattle, Washington
Emily - Good luck with the race this weekend! 

Eric - How's that new bike you ordered? Pro-fitting go well? 
2010-04-22 8:59 AM

User image

Champion
Knoxville area
Well, just made up my mind and signed up for the May 9th, Olympic Rev 3 race in Knoxville. Can't wait to see how terrible my time is going to be after my lackluster training the last two months!
2010-04-22 9:12 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Montreal
So, I was offered a job to work in the Yukon for 2 months. I'm a wildlife biologist (in training!) and I'll be gathering data for research on red squirrels (behaviour, energetics and ecology). The hours on the job are long, but I will also have incredible opportunities to train (run, bike... not sure about the swim) in a spectacular environment. I leave in 9 days!!

2010-04-22 9:44 AM
in reply to: #2809632

User image

New user
Washington, DC
Wow! That's awesome! Congratulations!

Buy a wetsuit? A really thick one, with boots, gloves, and a hood?

2010-04-22 9:48 AM

User image

Champion
Knoxville area
krystyna47 - 2010-04-22 10:12 AM So, I was offered a job to work in the Yukon for 2 months. I'm a wildlife biologist (in training!) and I'll be gathering data for research on red squirrels (behaviour, energetics and ecology). The hours on the job are long, but I will also have incredible opportunities to train (run, bike... not sure about the swim) in a spectacular environment. I leave in 9 days!!

just that picture makes me want to go haha

Looks amazing, you'll have a great time I'm sure!
2010-04-22 9:48 AM
in reply to: #2809756

User image

Extreme Veteran
Montreal
drphungky - 2010-04-22 10:44 AM Wow! That's awesome! Congratulations!

Buy a wetsuit? A really thick one, with boots, gloves, and a hood?

Haha, I already have a long-sleeve wetsuit and booties. I'm considering getting gloves and a neoprene cap... If I do, I'll look like a Michelin man (but black). 
2010-04-22 9:52 AM
in reply to: #2809585

User image

New user
Washington, DC
Leegoocrap - 2010-04-22 9:59 AM Well, just made up my mind and signed up for the May 9th, Olympic Rev 3 race in Knoxville. Can't wait to see how terrible my time is going to be after my lackluster training the last two months!

I'm sure you'll do fine. I'm also thinking about signing up for additional tris. Only problem is, I'd like to do a super-sprint or something soon, but I'm in the newbie challenge for my sprint race in June. It's limited to people who haven't done a tri before, so that's gotta be my first race. I'm thinking instead I may pick up an Olympic distance before the Nation's Tri here in DC, so I have a bit more experience going in. Anyone know anyone who's ever done the Cleveland Triathlon? I'm originally from Northeast Ohio, and it's on August 8th, 5 weeks before Nation's. Looks like it could be fun.
2010-04-22 9:53 AM

User image

wow, that sounds like fun!

I, too, have been such a slacker guys, sorry!  I'm prepping to go see my family in Ohio next week, so between cramming in some training, packing and trying to do TWO weeks worth of work in one, I can't find my butt with both hands, lol.

I've been lurking though, you guys are doing great! 

My legs are getting stronger definitely and if this damn weather would warm up, I could get to swimming to build up my upper back like I want to.  Definitely leaning back out though which is good.  The bf is making fun of me again though, that I have more muscle in my legs than he does, buahahaha.  Does anyone else's SO tease them about how fit they are?

Oh and PS I'm thinking either the Santa Barbara in august or the Nautica in Malibu in October. 

Edited by jessistriohmy 2010-04-22 9:54 AM
2010-04-22 10:10 AM
in reply to: #2809781

User image

New user
Washington, DC
jessistriohmy - 2010-04-22 10:53 AM wow, that sounds like fun!

I, too, have been such a slacker guys, sorry!  I'm prepping to go see my family in Ohio next week, so between cramming in some training, packing and trying to do TWO weeks worth of work in one, I can't find my butt with both hands, lol.

Are you from Ohio originally? What part?

2010-04-22 7:51 PM
in reply to: #2809854

User image

yeppers, Southern Ohio girl all the way!  I was born in raised in THE first and third capital, Chillicothe (small town south of Columbus), went to college in Athens at Ohio University (Go Bobcats!).

there are some amazing bike trails in southern/southeast Ohio!  Not to mention hiking trails and state parks.  I think that's where I get my love of biking and hiking from.  My grandpa was a park ranger, so I spent a lot of time swimming in the lakes too and hiking the park trails.    If any of you plan on doing tris in Ohio, you won't be disappointed!   The scenery is breathtaking.
2010-04-22 8:56 PM

User image

Veteran
Seattle, Washington
krystyna47 - 2010-04-22 8:12 AM So, I was offered a job to work in the Yukon for 2 months. I'm a wildlife biologist (in training!) and I'll be gathering data for research on red squirrels (behaviour, energetics and ecology). The hours on the job are long, but I will also have incredible opportunities to train (run, bike... not sure about the swim) in a spectacular environment. I leave in 9 days!!

So jealous!  This looks great, have fun!  And watch out for the big wildlife! 
2010-04-23 8:04 AM

User image

Master
Mt Pleasant, SC
Wow

I am sore this morning.  Our neighborhood pool is closed for the next 2 weeks so I went home last night and rode the trainer for 30 minutes.  Then I decided I need to turn it up a notch and jumped over on the elliptical for 30 minutes.  I had not used the elliptical for awhile but it does give you a good all-a- round workout.

I am so ready (mentally) for my first race of the season.  I have the final week schedule of training/taper set in my head. Plus I am starting to think about the pre-race checklist.

Anyone racing this weekend?

Train-Race-Enjoy

Kevin
2010-04-23 8:18 AM
in reply to: #2811822

User image

Champion
Knoxville area
b2673ad - 2010-04-23 9:04 AM Wow

I am sore this morning.  Our neighborhood pool is closed for the next 2 weeks so I went home last night and rode the trainer for 30 minutes.  Then I decided I need to turn it up a notch and jumped over on the elliptical for 30 minutes.  I had not used the elliptical for awhile but it does give you a good all-a- round workout.

I am so ready (mentally) for my first race of the season.  I have the final week schedule of training/taper set in my head. Plus I am starting to think about the pre-race checklist.

Anyone racing this weekend?

Train-Race-Enjoy

Kevin

Sounds awesome!
Pre race list -

USAT card
Race Belt
Tri Suit (or whatever you are wearing)
Goggles
Swim Cap (if needed)
Sunscreen (Never on the face!)
Wetsuit
Towel
Plastic Bag (for rainy days to cover shoes)
Sunglasses
Helmet
Bike Shoes
Socks
Water / Sports drink / Flat Kit
Running shoes
Visor / Hat

Those are things I always check off my list before. But I always check over mine like 10x the night before and somehow still forget something
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Leegoocrap's Mentor Group - Closed Rss Feed  

of 19