BT Development Mentor Program Archives » TriAya (Yanti) and lmscozz (Lynn), Manatee Mentors--FULL! Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 60

2010-04-09 12:23 AM
in reply to: #2778082

User image

Master
Sin City
Subject: RE: TriAya (Yanti) and lmscozz (Lynn), Manatee Mentors--FULL!
thndrcloud - 2010-04-08 1:32 PM

What I'm really wondering is if anyone trains with a HRM and how different your zones are between the bike and run.  85% on the bike is 173bpm for me and any higher is definitely anaerobic as I start to feel pukey.  When I'm running my hr goes as high as 187bpm before I start feeling that.  Is that normal?

For me - WAY different!

Run - I can run with a 175 bpm and still feel great.
Bike - If I go above 168 bpm, I'm really pushing it to the point where I'm going to overexert myself...especially when I'm going uphill (a 1% grade hill will make my HR skyrocket...I don't know why...it just is!)

So yeah, I would think it's normal for newbies maybe? I wonder if it has to do with the impact...higher impact athletics will have higher HR? I haven't done a friggin' Sprint, so what the he-double hockey sticks do I know? :-)

I agree with Lynn - there's people that follow HRM to a T, and others just go by feel.

I kind of alternate.   If I see my HR hit 175 on the bike, I know to BACK off instead of just huffing and puffing wondering why the hell I can't go anymore! Plus, it also tells me what kind of zone I'm in. I may feel like RPE of a 6 yet, my HR is Zone 4...I'm still learning.  I think after a while I'll drop the monitor. I don't use it 100% of the time, just mostly on the bike. On the runs, my HR just seem to stay the same and consistent, so I stopped using it. I may use it once in a while for the run.

Edited by CyborgQueen 2010-04-09 12:29 AM

2010-04-09 8:01 AM
in reply to: #2771857

User image

Extreme Veteran
Chicago-ish

Me too!

Lmscozz-- Lynn
TriAya -- Yanti
blackledge -- Ryan (aka "token male") -- from Chicago

Scottie07-Emily (or Em if ye prefer)--from Atlanta

elbi999 --Laura

thndrcloud - Allison

2010-04-09 8:06 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Chicago-ish
I end up wearing my HRM every time I work out because it counts my calories and has a lap function both of which I love having.  I've learned to not look at it while I run because if I do my HR goes higher faster and I only check it on the bike if I'm starting to feel like I'm pushing to hard.  Hopefully my HR will come down as my run fitness increases.

So yesterday I swam 2350m which is a PR for distance and it felt great.  I still feel good today so I don't think I overdid it.  Today I'm doing a big fat nothing to rest up for my race tomorrow morning.  I'll be MIA for the rest of the day so good luck with all your training plans and don't have too much fun without me. 
2010-04-09 10:23 AM

User image

Master

Morning Manatees.  TGIF

Lmscozz-- Lynn
TriAya -- Yanti

elbi999 --Laura

thndrcloud - Allison
crews - carla

2010-04-09 10:24 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Chicago
Good morning Carla -

I slacked off last night.  Can someone please kick my butt and make me workout tonight and this weekend?!
2010-04-09 11:00 AM
in reply to: #2779993

User image

Expert
Albuquerque, New Mexico
crews - 2010-04-09 10:23 AM

Morning Manatees.  TGIF

Lmscozz-- Lynn
TriAya -- Yanti

elbi999 --Laura

thndrcloud - Allison
crews - carla
QuincyF - Quincy in Chicago

2010-04-09 11:01 AM
in reply to: #2780003

User image

Expert
Albuquerque, New Mexico
blackledge - 2010-04-09 10:24 AM

Good morning Carla -

I slacked off last night.  Can someone please kick my butt and make me workout tonight and this weekend?!

Hey I took the day off yesterday too...it was soul crushing with the freezing rain, etc...

But I'm getting ready to go on a three day tear...don't let this old lady kick your butt...

How's that?
2010-04-09 11:22 AM
in reply to: #2780158

User image

Extreme Veteran
Chicago
That works for me Quincy
With the nicer weather this weekend you may just see me out on the lakefront path running and/or biking.  Although I usually tend to head south because it is less crowded....shhhhh don't tell everyone please haha
2010-04-09 11:30 AM
in reply to: #2779458

User image

Master
Vista, CA

thndrcloud - 2010-04-09 6:06 AM I end up wearing my HRM every time I work out because it counts my calories and has a lap function both of which I love having.  I've learned to not look at it while I run because if I do my HR goes higher faster and I only check it on the bike if I'm starting to feel like I'm pushing to hard.  Hopefully my HR will come down as my run fitness increases.

So yesterday I swam 2350m which is a PR for distance and it felt great.  I still feel good today so I don't think I overdid it.  Today I'm doing a big fat nothing to rest up for my race tomorrow morning.  I'll be MIA for the rest of the day so good luck with all your training plans and don't have too much fun without me. 

Nice swim and GOOD LUCK tomorrow!!! Let us know how you do and feel! Hope the weather holds for you. Big Manatee flipper bump!

2010-04-09 11:32 AM
in reply to: #2780158

User image

Master
Vista, CA

quincyf - 2010-04-09 9:01 AM
blackledge - 2010-04-09 10:24 AM Good morning Carla -

Hey I took the day off yesterday too...it was soul crushing with the freezing rain, etc... But I'm getting ready to go on a three day tear...don't let this old lady kick your butt... How's that?

Quincy  Oops, Ryan!! -- Do you feel that? Should feel a little like a manatee flipper on your behind! There..feel it again? Now, your backside's been officiall Manatee kicked. Get out there and tear it up!

Edited by lmscozz 2010-04-09 11:33 AM
2010-04-09 11:40 AM
in reply to: #2780271

User image

Extreme Veteran
Chicago
Thanks Lynn...just what I needed.  I don't believe that I have ever been spanked by a manatee before Tongue out   I may be headed to FL next month...if I do I will try to take a picture of our mascot for everyone

2010-04-09 11:55 AM

User image

Regular
Adding to the list!

Lmscozz-- Lynn
TriAya -- Yanti
elbi999 --Laura
thndrcloud - Allison
crews - carla QuincyF - Quincy in Chicago
kerryd - Kerry in DC (original, no?)

First boob sizes, now manatee s&m?  What a group!

LOL!

Anyhow, great job on the swim Allison!!  I have never worn a HRM, but have a feeling I should.

It's a perfect 55 degrees out now and just got off an 'internal conference call' (code for working out during the work day) in which I biked 10 miles and walked/ran 3.

I am sure I am the most inexperienced in this group, so please be patient with me as I am sure to ask some fairly newb questions.
2010-04-09 12:11 PM
in reply to: #2780340

User image

Master
Vista, CA

kerryd - 2010-04-09 9:55 AM Adding to the list!

Lmscozz-- Lynn
TriAya -- Yanti
elbi999 --Laura
thndrcloud - Allison

LOL!

Anyhow, great job on the swim Allison!!  I have never worn a HRM, but have a feeling I should.

It's a perfect 55 degrees out now and just got off an 'internal conference call' (code for working out during the work day) in which I biked 10 miles and walked/ran 3.

I am sure I am the most inexperienced in this group, so please be patient with me as I am sure to ask some fairly newb questions.

Ask away, that's why we're here. Manatee s/m, cute. Glad you got your "conference call" out of the way.

2010-04-09 12:15 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Chicago
Kerryd-First boob sizes, now manatee s&m?  What a group!
LOL!

Kerry - Geez is your mind in the gutter?!   Luckily you just did that brick workout to help clear it out.  How do you feel afterwards?
I just pretend to be experienced by the way haha...I am sure others are much more experienced than I am too.  But we can all learn from each other and we all have something of value to add even if you have not raced before.  You can always spank someone with your manatee flipper for encouragement since you seem to pick up on water mammal S&M
2010-04-09 1:04 PM

User image

Master

Man - I go to lunch and miss all of the action!  Dang!

Ryan - I would give you a swift kick in the behind...but I'll let you slide this time.  Only because you needed a rest day before all of your kick @ss workouts this weekend!

Back to my lunch...it was awesome!  Salad with spinach, raisins, cashews, apples, and some kind of Brazilian dressing (that I didn't overindulge in) and a cup of 15 bean and shreaded pork soup.  And the most awesome little biscuit/roll things...EVA.  They were made from yuka flour and had a little cheesyness to them.  YuM!

45 mile ride in the morning.  What does everyone else have on tap for the weekend.

2010-04-09 1:35 PM

User image

Master
Sin City
Me too...add
kerryd - 2010-04-09 9:55 AM Adding to the list!

Lmscozz-- Lynn
TriAya -- Yanti
elbi999 --Laura
thndrcloud - Allison
CyborgQueen - DJ in Vegas

LOL!

Nah - I haven't even done a year of biking, and only 4 months of triathlon training.

However, your logs are looking mighty plain...

2010-04-09 1:43 PM
in reply to: #2780579

User image

Master
Sin City
crews - 2010-04-09 11:04 AM

45 mile ride in the morning.  What does everyone else have on tap for the weekend.

ADA Tour de Cure ride - 50k.  I originally wanted to do the 100k, but because I didn't get the chance to get in the training for longer distances,  I dropped it down a bit. Slightly bummed, but this is not a race and I can do whatever I feel like it.  I registered for this ride before I considered doing Triathlons. Little did I know that it's kind of hard to balance all three fields.  I think now I can do better and I'm kind of aiming to go for 64 mi or even 100mi for RTC ride. We'll see what happens. :-)
2010-04-09 1:51 PM
in reply to: #2780672

User image

Regular

However, your logs are looking mighty plain...

Yeah, DJ, I just imported the Couch to Tri (even though I have been unofficially preparing since Jan) program yesterday and haven't entered any actual logs.

Baby Steps! Undecided
2010-04-09 2:29 PM

User image

Veteran
Greensburg, PA
Hi all,

Yanti was ever so kind and is allowing me to jump in too, if that is okay with everyone.

To get the important things out of the way first - My name is Karen and I am a 36C.

I started tris 2 years ago when I turned 40.  I decided it was time to get out and do something more!  I lost about 130 pounds a few years ago (but keep playing with about 20 of that) and started running a bit.  I did some 5k races (slowly!!) and found that I kind of actually enjoyed it!  At first, it was a challenge - will I finish, will I get passed by the lady with the stroller (yes, several times!), can I keep up with that dog (sometimes yes, sometimes no), etc.  Anyway, once I found that I could do that with no problem, I wanted a new challenge and just decided to try a tri!  And I loved it.  So, here I am!  I am still slow, but I have fun!

More later - I have to get back to work now!!

Karen

2010-04-09 2:41 PM
in reply to: #2780839

User image

Extreme Veteran
Chicago
Welcome Karen.  You're lucky you were able to join our wonderful group.  Or maybe I am the lucky one since I am still the token male
Awesome and congrats on the weight loss and for sticking with running and making it fun.  Having fun is a very important part of racing. 
Based on your sense of humor and the fact that you noticed that you must give your bra size upon entering...I think you will fit perfectly until our group which is why I am sure Yanti let you in Of course maybe I am an exception to that rule then haha
2010-04-09 2:56 PM
in reply to: #2780697

User image

Master

CyborgQueen - 2010-04-09 1:43 PM
crews - 2010-04-09 11:04 AM

ADA Tour de Cure ride - 50k.  I originally wanted to do the 100k, but because I didn't get the chance to get in the training for longer distances,  I dropped it down a bit. Slightly bummed, but this is not a race and I can do whatever I feel like it.  I registered for this ride before I considered doing Triathlons. Little did I know that it's kind of hard to balance all three fields.  I think now I can do better and I'm kind of aiming to go for 64 mi or even 100mi for RTC ride. We'll see what happens. :-)

Have fun on the ride!  I hope you have nice weather  If you're feeling your oats, you can always keep going to the next distance!

Edit: TGIF Toppage

Edited by crews 2010-04-09 2:56 PM

2010-04-09 3:27 PM

User image

Regular
Where The Peaches Grow
Kerry-Don't feel bad. I'm a n00b as well. I think I've already asked some pretty vapid questions.

Karen-I've been passed by the lady with the stroller too. Definitely not the best for one's self esteem.

As for this weekend's plans, I'm coming off a week off to rest a sprained ankle. Knowing me, I won't take it easy at all. Tomorrow I'd like to get in a 3 mi run, a yoga class, and maybe a swim depending on how busy the pool is. Sunday I'm going on a group run, swim if I didn't do it on Saturday, and probably bike in the evening. I'm also taking Mon and Tues off from work, so I hope to get in a couple good bike workouts on those days.

Can I also say that my first tri is in 23 days and I'm scared poopless (not sure if we can swear on here. Don't want to offend anyone...yet)? I'm terrified I'm either going to drown or crash on the bike. I'm quite sure these fears are largely unfounded, but being off for a week makes me feel like I've missed a month.
2010-04-09 4:53 PM
in reply to: #2775879

User image

Subject: RE: TriAya (Yanti) and lmscozz (Lynn), Manatee Mentors--OPEN
TriAya - 2010-04-07 9:58 PM
crews - 2010-04-08 3:44 AM

LOL! I frequently used to include "Dancing Queen" in my Spinning(R) classes and dedicate it to whoever was the really serious athlete/cyclist male in the room. Big cheers every time. Heh.

Oh yeah--I  forgot to include in my bio that I was the in-house Spinning(R) instructor at Spinning World Headquarters for a couple of years.

I LOVE where the music discussion went. Actually, LAUREN--I was asking about music since you said you were very involved in it since middle school, but less so now, so I was wondering if you did vocal or instrumental or groups or ... ???

I'm in a bit of a music vacuum here in Bali. The local music scene is outstanding, both Indonesian cultural music and Western-style genres by Indonesian artists. However, I'm definitely not up on all the "in" music in the States anymore. Lord knows I already spend too much time online (I wonder WHERE) without youtubing and iTunesing and  Limewireing and all that.

I sing in a choir here (alto) and will start teaching a basic notation/sight reading class for the choir members next week.

BECAUSE THE VAST MAJORITY OF TRI TRAINING SHOULD TAKE PLACE AT A CONVERSATIONAL PACE (you could hold a conversation while doing it) ... oh ... that was just cueing my first "tip" ...

I often sing/practice the choir numbers while biking or running since I don't have a conversation partner, and it's a reality check on whether my exertion is at an appropriate level.

That's cool that you were a spinning(R) instructor. Also to answer your question, I play the guitar, drums, piano, and am still working on my voice every now and then because I would like to sing(I'm not bad Wink).  In middle school, and a little bit through high school, I was in a band, and we played a lot of rock music. I still enjoy music very much, and always will. When I'm done working out and training for my 5k that's coming up in a couple months, it's always nice to sit down at one of my instruments and just play.(It's very relaxing Laughing). I think it's great that you are in a choir, and that you sing. Maybe you can give me some singing tips some time. But, that's pretty much my musical backround, and I think it's cool that you also have somewhat of a musical backround too.Smile

Edited by Lauren_Pgh 2010-04-09 4:56 PM
2010-04-09 7:01 PM

User image

Veteran
Greensburg, PA
Hi,
A little more about me.  I am 42, married to my best friend Tom for going on 9 years.  No kids, but a cat and a dog.  I was never an athletic kid or adult until a few years ago when I decided I was tired of being fat and lazy!!  So, here I am.
I have done a couple of sprints and last year did an Oly.  This winter has been hard on me.  I have been having problems with chronic headaches.  I literally did nothing for most of January, February, and part of March.  I never thought it was possible to have a headache that you never think will go away.  I am on a new medication and seem to be doing better.  Which is why I feel like I am starting over here.  Three months of inactivity, and about 15 pounds makes it hard to be motivated to get back at it.  But, I had a great run tonight.  I finished my three miles without stopping.  No speed records, but I felt like it was quite an accomplishment.  Of course the cooler weather helped too.  Yes, it was a full 30 degrees cooler today than yesterday.
I am jealous of those of you who have music talent.  I played the clarinet in grade school, until I was told that I could not advance to the band because I was not good enough.  I was kicked out of my church choir when I was young because I couldn't sing.  Yes, the CHURCH choir.  Of course, that music director is no longer at my church, for many reasons!!  Now, it is just my poor husband who has to put up with my singing, because unfortunately, I really like to sing!  I am just really bad!
Enough rambling!  Every one have a great weekend and train hard.
Karen
2010-04-09 9:30 PM
in reply to: #2780672

User image

Extreme Veteran
Wesley Chapel, Florida

Lmscozz-- Lynn
TriAya -- Yanti
elbi999 --Laura
thndrcloud - Allison
CyborgQueen - DJ in Vegas
Dinabean -- Dineen in Tampa

I've slacked off the past two days, but I am going to pretend it was rest/taper for my race tomorrow.  I am very nervous that I don't really have the base mileage to run 15K, but I am going to do my best to fake it.

Have a great weekend, everyone!
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » TriAya (Yanti) and lmscozz (Lynn), Manatee Mentors--FULL! Rss Feed  

of 60