BT Development Mentor Program Archives » disturbed275's Mentor Group - Closed! Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 16

2011-01-03 8:02 AM
in reply to: #3273105

User image

Veteran
Prairie Village, Kansas
Subject: RE: disturbed275's Mentor Group - Closed!
MMF0710 - 2011-01-02 7:42 PM It's my tibia. I don't know what to do with it. Tried different shoes, not running for weeks- then starting over. It's frustrating. Guess I will focus on biking and swimming and small amounts of running. I'm hoping building strength and endurance through those will help my running performance.

I have the same issues with pain on my tibia, right at where the patellar tendon attaches to my knee cap.  I usually try to wear a running band on it to prevent the patella from moving too much.  If that's where you are hurting, maybe try that out. Stretching your quads is also important.  If pain persists, I would go see a physical therapist.  You may have a muscle imbalance. 

2011-01-03 8:04 AM
in reply to: #3273488

User image

Veteran
Prairie Village, Kansas
Me too.  Search m.a.burghart, I will try to look people up later!
2011-01-03 9:14 AM
in reply to: #3273105

MMF0710 - 2011-01-02 8:42 PM It's my tibia. I don't know what to do with it. Tried different shoes, not running for weeks- then starting over. It's frustrating. Guess I will focus on biking and swimming and small amounts of running. I'm hoping building strength and endurance through those will help my running performance.

Are you talking about pain running down the front of the leg (Shin Splints)?  If so I have some experience with that that could help you out.  Please let me know.  Thanks,
Neal
2011-01-03 11:15 AM
in reply to: #3256996

New user

Neal I think it is more shin splints. I tried barefoot running (via vibrams) and that helped for awhile but caused foot pain instead. Ugh!!!!
2011-01-03 1:12 PM
in reply to: #3274253

MMF0710 - 2011-01-03 12:15 PM Neal I think it is more shin splints. I tried barefoot running (via vibrams) and that helped for awhile but caused foot pain instead. Ugh!!!!

Unfortunately, Shin Splints are a tough issue in some cases. I have found most cases resolve with rest,ice and anti-inflammatory meds such as advil/aleve. Maybe take a week to ten 10 days off following this program and then start back with a run/walk style of getting some mileage in. You could do a 4min walk/ 1min run for twenty minutes 3 times per week and gradually build up. It's the only way I have been able to combat Shin Splints and PF. Work hard on your swimming and cycling in the mean time. A good stretching before and especially after your run/walks (and all workouts) is essential to good health while training. Don't get discouraged, get healthy!
2011-01-03 1:47 PM
in reply to: #3274253

MMF0710 - 2011-01-03 12:15 PM Neal I think it is more shin splints. I tried barefoot running (via vibrams) and that helped for awhile but caused foot pain instead. Ugh!!!!

OK, here is what I've dealt with to help with shin splints.

1. Rest/Ice will is the first step.  You can not run through the issue. It will get worse.

2.  You mentioned you've tried new shoes but have you tried the right shoes?  If you have not already done so, go to a good running store that will put you on a treadmill and watch/video tape you run.  They will get you the right type of shoes based on how you run.

3.  You need to strengthen the muscles around the front/sides of the lower leg.  Best exercise I have seen to do this is heal walks.  Basically pick the front of your foot up off the ground and walk on your heals for however many steps you can make it.  Sounds funny but do this a few times throughout the day and it will make a huge difference.

4.  Once you are ready, you need to get back back into running SLOWLY.  I recently fought with Achilles tendonitis and had to go through much the same process.  I followed the Couch potato to 5K training plan found right here at beginnertriathlete.  It killed me mentally to do so little but I forced myself to follow it and I'm now back to running pain free. 

Keep working hard on the swimming and biking as neither should affect the shin splits adversely.

Hope this helps.

Neal

2011-01-03 1:50 PM

New user

Thanks for the advice! I will try all of the above and keep you posted. I can definetly stay busy with biking, swimming, and strength training.
2011-01-03 3:21 PM
in reply to: #3274693

User image

Regular
Las Vegas
nealham12 - 2011-01-03 11:47 AM

OK, here is what I've dealt with to help with shin splints.

1. Rest/Ice will is the first step.  You can not run through the issue. It will get worse.

2.  You mentioned you've tried new shoes but have you tried the right shoes?  If you have not already done so, go to a good running store that will put you on a treadmill and watch/video tape you run.  They will get you the right type of shoes based on how you run.

3.  You need to strengthen the muscles around the front/sides of the lower leg.  Best exercise I have seen to do this is heal walks.  Basically pick the front of your foot up off the ground and walk on your heals for however many steps you can make it.  Sounds funny but do this a few times throughout the day and it will make a huge difference.

4.  Once you are ready, you need to get back back into running SLOWLY.  I recently fought with Achilles tendonitis and had to go through much the same process.  I followed the Couch potato to 5K training plan found right here at beginnertriathlete.  It killed me mentally to do so little but I forced myself to follow it and I'm now back to running pain free. 

Keep working hard on the swimming and biking as neither should affect the shin splits adversely.

Hope this helps.

Neal

I have treated shin splits a lot in my practice, especially in the army. Neal has the right idea, except I would add compression socks or shin sleeves to that. You will look funny but it will really help, and you will be back to running sooner.

Good job on the treatment plan Neal.

Mike
2011-01-03 3:39 PM
in reply to: #3274903

+1 to the compression socks.  The club I ride with is sponsored by Sigvaris.  We got a real good deal on their compression socks so I tried both their performance and their active recovery socks.  Liked them so much that I made a second purchase so I have enough of both to wear every day.
2011-01-03 3:56 PM

New user

I wear compression socks at work since I'm on my feet 13+ hours a day. They are cheapy ones though. I will have to bite the bullet and buy some good ones.
2011-01-03 4:19 PM

New user

Another question- what volume of strength training should I be doing? I've forgone crossfit for awhile. Crossfit +daily aerobic training is just too much. I'm used to lifting really heavy. But I need to lean out to increase my speed. Suggestions?

2011-01-03 6:50 PM

I'm not sure about compression socks. Can someone explain when and why to wear them. I have had issues with PF for years and was wondering if they would help.
2011-01-03 7:29 PM

User image

Champion
Ames, IA
Neal - Thanks for the great info on treating shin splints!  Unfortunately rest is needed, but it's also important to get at root cause and figure out what is causing them so you can fix it.

For me I noticed they were worse after doing the P90x plyometric workout.  So I took a few weeks off running, eliminated that plyo workout, and have slowly eased back into running since then.  I've been wearing compression socks for each run and haven't had an recurring issues.
2011-01-03 7:42 PM
in reply to: #3275042

User image

Champion
Ames, IA
MMF0710 - 2011-01-03 4:19 PM Another question- what volume of strength training should I be doing? I've forgone crossfit for awhile. Crossfit +daily aerobic training is just too much. I'm used to lifting really heavy. But I need to lean out to increase my speed. Suggestions?

Hmmmm...this is a question that doesn't have a right answer.  I am going to give the cop out answer of do what you are comfortable with.  I know very successful triathletes that forgo strength training completely and others that follow a structured program all year long.

I am one of those that sort of forgot about strength training last season.  It was sad how much strength I had lost when I started up again this past fall.  I don't want to to that again, but I know strength training is the first thing to go when the s/b/r training volume gets up there.  My goal this season is to get in a couple short sessions a week (20-30 minutes).  What I'm going to do in those sessions, I not sure yet, but it will probably involve exercises that work multiple muscle groups to be efficient.
2011-01-03 7:52 PM
in reply to: #3275318

User image

Champion
Ames, IA
1ejp - 2011-01-03 6:50 PM I'm not sure about compression socks. Can someone explain when and why to wear them. I have had issues with PF for years and was wondering if they would help.

The theory behind compression wear is that the compression increases blood flow in the target area.  This increased flow allows deoxygenated blood to be carried quicker, along with by-products that can cause fatigue.  This also means that oxygen-rich blood finds it to the area quicker as well.  The benefit of compression can reaped both during activity and post activity, during recovery.

Some companies market "active" compression and "recovery" compression wear.  I'm not sure what the difference is between the two.  Could just be a marketing ploy.

I've got a pair of tights I wear after long rides and runs and recently started wearing socks while I run because of shin splints.  In my mind they both have been beneficial.
2011-01-03 7:57 PM

User image

Champion
Ames, IA
Okay, here's the group table I promised.  There is a link to this thread and links to everyone's training log.  There were a few people who don't have public logs so there's no link.  If you make them public let me know and I'll modify the table.

You should be able to highlight the whole table, copy it, and paste it in the dashboard of your training log (click the edit button at the top).  If you have issues doing this let me and I'll try my best at tech support.

Disturbed275's Mentor Group

GROUP THREAD
Disturbed275 - Neal 
fungi32 - Kip
lizmoll - Liz
piyushdabomb - Piyush
ball6135 - Robb
MMF0710 - Mel
peteweb55403 - Pete
1ejp - Ed
mikoy - Mike
fire2812 - John
thebrayon - Luc
carolinahusker - Jake
m.a.burghart - Mark
kitkat724 - Christine
  mlsmith142 - Matt
grl101mia - Dee
 nealham12 - Neal

2011-01-03 8:11 PM
in reply to: #3275318

User image

Regular
Las Vegas
1ejp - 2011-01-03 4:50 PM I'm not sure about compression socks. Can someone explain when and why to wear them. I have had issues with PF for years and was wondering if they would help.

If by PF you mean Plantar Fasciitis, you should stretch your calf muscles out. I tell my patients to stretch 10 times a day. Do 4 X 15 seconds stretches each time.  If you stretch more than 10 times a day you will get better faster, less than 10 and it takes longer and less than 5 and it won't really work.  You should stretch well right before going to bed, 1st thing in the morning, and of course before and after exercise.  I would also reduce running for a few weeks, and then gradually build back up.  Compression soaks to my knowledge will not help PF. I know that with PF the pain is on the bottom of the heel, but stretching the calf muscle is the best thing for it. Generally 4-6 weeks of 10 or more stretching a day and you will be 100% pain free again. Then just keep your calf stretched out and you will be fine.
2011-01-03 8:35 PM
in reply to: #3275471

Mike,

Any pointers for Achilles pain?  I completely tore my left one several years ago.  There was no previous pain or indicators, it just snapped when I was playing raquetball.  I had the surgery and went through a bunch of PT but it is fine.  Unfortunately, I've been having pain, after running, on and off for a couple of years now.  I've been working of calf strength and stretching, and also easing back into running but any other pointers would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Neal
2011-01-04 1:28 AM

User image

Regular
Cairns - Australia
I have a question in relation to the swimming part of the program - I am not a fast swimmer - and I always get a laugh when it says swim 2950 metres time 1.10 if only I wish - this would probably take me 1 and half to three quarters of an hour.  So - do you do the distance and turn into a prune or do you do the time and try to get in as much as you can???  Everybody's thoughts please.
2011-01-04 8:15 AM

Liz, I am currently learning my way through swimming programs myself. I stick to what I can do. I have been swimming 1000meter workouts and have been progressing nicely ( I think ). I have started to stretch out my distances during intervals and have been doing one long and even pace workout on other days. You could look at my log to see what I'm up to. I'm a true Beginner though, so you might be past me in training.
2011-01-04 10:55 AM
in reply to: #3275526

User image

Regular
Las Vegas
nealham12 - 2011-01-03 6:35 PM Mike,

Any pointers for Achilles pain?  I completely tore my left one several years ago.  There was no previous pain or indicators, it just snapped when I was playing raquetball.  I had the surgery and went through a bunch of PT but it is fine.  Unfortunately, I've been having pain, after running, on and off for a couple of years now.  I've been working of calf strength and stretching, and also easing back into running but any other pointers would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Neal

Neal,
Generally, after a tendon rupture your tendon is just going to be weaker. Slowly building your run, and I mean slowly is the way to go. Also stretching is key. Most of the time achilles pain will go away with good stretching.
Do you know where the rupture occurr and how it was repaired?
Also where does it hurt? Be very specific.

2011-01-04 1:58 PM
in reply to: #3275829

User image

Extreme Veteran
Minnetonka Beach, MN
lizmoll - 2011-01-04 1:28 AM I have a question in relation to the swimming part of the program - I am not a fast swimmer - and I always get a laugh when it says swim 2950 metres time 1.10 if only I wish - this would probably take me 1 and half to three quarters of an hour.  So - do you do the distance and turn into a prune or do you do the time and try to get in as much as you can???  Everybody's thoughts please.

Here's my perspective on it and it is only an opinion... I wouldn't push through the distance at this point in your swimming.  the potential issue is that you will begin to build "muscle memory" of a poor stroke vs. focusing early on technique. 

I know in my long sets, when I get out there past 3k, there is always a note saying "think technique"... it is really easy to ignore it and your arms, leg, body position, head position will start to compensate for muscles that aren't ready to do that distance. 
2011-01-04 3:33 PM
in reply to: #3276713

mikoy - 2011-01-04 11:55 AM

Thanks,

Neal

Neal,
Generally, after a tendon rupture your tendon is just going to be weaker. Slowly building your run, and I mean slowly is the way to go. Also stretching is key. Most of the time achilles pain will go away with good stretching.

Thanks the funny part.  It is not the one that ruptured that gives me any pain.  It is the opposite leg.  When it occurs the tendon is tender to touch right about level with the top of the ankle bone.
2011-01-04 4:00 PM
in reply to: #3277576

User image

Regular
Las Vegas
nealham12 - 2011-01-04 1:33 PM
mikoy - 2011-01-04 11:55 AM

Thanks,

Neal

Neal,

Thanks the funny part.  It is not the one that ruptured that gives me any pain.  It is the opposite leg.  When it occurs the tendon is tender to touch right about level with the top of the ankle bone.

Ok, that is funny.  It sounds like achilles tendonitis. basically it is the same plan. If you can get some stuff call Biofreeze that may help it.  Stretch it out well and decrease running like we discussed.

2011-01-04 6:37 PM
in reply to: #3275829

User image

Champion
Ames, IA
lizmoll - 2011-01-04 1:28 AM I have a question in relation to the swimming part of the program - I am not a fast swimmer - and I always get a laugh when it says swim 2950 metres time 1.10 if only I wish - this would probably take me 1 and half to three quarters of an hour.  So - do you do the distance and turn into a prune or do you do the time and try to get in as much as you can???  Everybody's thoughts please.

I would recommend not getting too caught up in the distance.  Time is a commodity for most of us so if you have only a certain amount of time to swim just do what you can.

For me personally I will usually have anywhere from a half an hour to an hour to fit in a swim.  The yardage will vary widely depending on how much drilling I do.  Often times I'll find myself adding or subtracting distance to fit in the time I've allotted.  I do make one exception when I do a continuous swim set.  Those workouts I will have a set distance to meet without taking any breaks 
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » disturbed275's Mentor Group - Closed! Rss Feed  

of 16