BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Jamie's HIM/IM Training Group-CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 40

2011-01-17 10:27 AM
in reply to: #3304053

User image

Windsor, ON
Subject: RE: Jamie's HIM/IM Training Group-OPEN
RVachon - 2011-01-17 10:57 AMI've recently started using Infinit, so far only trying the RUN ORANGE version on a 17k long run a couple weeks ago, and so far, it's the best I've used.  Gatorade simply gives me heartburn, and Hammer well, the taste is absolutely terrible.  I did have Infinit at the Welland Tri last year, and they had a bad mixture as the taste sucked there also, but you mix it yourself, it's taste good...not strong like Gatorade.

With that said, I'll probably use Infinit exclusively for all my training & races this year.  Maybe it's just brainwash but the science behind it seems more creditable than the other nutrition suppliers other there.  Most races around here use either Gatorade or Hammer so I guess I'll be bringing my own potions and use the course water.
Welland was where I had my only experience with infinit, so if you say the mix was bad but liked your own then maybe I will give it a shot in training just to see. As of right now, like I said I am pretty happy with gatorade and hammer gel. However I end up needing to carry quite a few gels, so infinit might lighten my load alittle. I am also curious about the easy ride....I assumed you mean in general when riding under an hour that you should be pushing your HR/power a little beyond your comfort because of the shorter time in relation to HIM or I'm race. But what about "recovery" rides or runs for that matter. How do you feel/what is your experience with them?Another question I had was about race planning. Right now my tenative schedule looks like this: March30-30KM run(Around the Bay), Mid-May-sprint, June26 HIM(Welland), July8-first baby born(bad timing I know haha), Aug14-HIM(steelhead), Sep 11-HIM(Muskoka), Maybe detroit half or full mara in Oct. Depending how I feel. Muskoka and Welland are A races for me. I figure they are all spaced out well enough that I should be okay. My question is more about training and stages of training base, anaerobic, taper etc. When would be a good time to start and finish each of these in relation to my schedule?? Sorry for the format...my phone won't let me use new paragraphs apparently

Edited by Danrl88 2011-01-17 10:47 AM

2011-01-17 10:44 AM
in reply to: #3304026

User image

Veteran
Indianapolis
dhopman - 2011-01-17 10:41 AM

Looks like maybe you're taking one more? I'd love to join if you have room for another Dave in the group. I'm doing my first IM (Texas) this year and could use the motivation.

I'll post a bio a little later if you'll take me.

-Dave

Welcome. Give us some info when you get a chance and catch up on the thread so far.

Jamie
2011-01-17 10:52 AM
in reply to: #3304008

User image

Veteran
Indianapolis
sbsmann - 2011-01-17 10:26 AM

jamiej - 2011-01-17 3:18 AM
sbsmann - 2011-01-16 8:56 PM Finished up the weekend with a nice little 7.5 miler at the Pettit Center (ice rink with indoor running track).  It was a good week of training for me and to top it off the Green Bay Packers made it to the NFC Championship game!  Tomorrow I have an easy ride on the trainer (morn or eve...not sure yet) and also a lunchtime swim. 

Wanted to touch base again on the salt tablets because I have never used them but will be playing around with them in the near future.  Was curious if the tablets are all about the same size (mg's per tab).  What is the difference between the sticks and tablets or is it one of the same?  And did you mention that you only used them in training and not during races? 

Is this an example of the sticks...http://www.amazon.com/Saltstick-Electrolyte-Capsules-100-bottle/dp/B002IY96B0/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1295226617&sr=8-1

Also another question on nutrtition.  Does anyone use the nutritional powders/mixes like Infinit?  Interested in hearing how well that has worked during a HIM?
And so did the Steelers! Most of the Salt Stick/Lava Salt/Endurolyte variety are pretty much the same size. Thermotabs are smaller so I took more of them/hr. Good point. Sorry I forgot to mention that earlier. I use them in training and racing. You have linked to the ones that I have used over the last 2 seasons. I've never used any of the magic potions. I like to keep it simple. I drink only water, eat only gel and take salt tabs. I realize the 'simplicity' hook for things like Infinit etc is that all of the stuff is in there in one ez bottle. What always worried me was what I would do if I dropped that bottle on the bike. Cut and paste from a previous post regarding your 'ez' bike, just a thought: One recommendation I have for all of you during your biking sessions is that if you are going short (~1 hour) you have to go hard. Include intervals in your session at or above your predicted race pace using power/HR/RPE. For example, if you plan on racing in Z3 then I would do something like 25% of your time in Z3 (broken into intervals with a minute rest in between), 5-10% in Z4 and the rest in Z2. Slowly over time increase the amount of time you spend in each zone per training session either by adding time to the intervals and/or tying the intervals together. i.e 2X5' interval become 1X10' over time. The goal would be to slowly piece together your efforts so you are doing the entire session at race pace. And guess what? Do it ALL in aero. Remember that you are NOT working out. You are TRAINING. That means that you are practicing for a specific task. That task is to race at a certain zone in a certain position for a certain distance. Make sense?? Jamie

Yup...points well taken.  Regarding the bike, do you ever suggest having an "easy" spin on the schedule when doing less than an hour?  Often after a weekend where I did both a long ride and a long run, I schedule an easy spin on the bike (< 1 hour) on Monday (and maybe a swim).

For the nutrition I definitely like the idea of not putting so much reliance on the Infinit bottle, but I suppose the same could be said for losing gels or salt tabs during a ride.  I've had success with Powergels/water/Gatorade on longer runs and hope that along with the salt tabs will work for me on HIM's.  However there is also a little voice inside me that says the "convenience" hook of the Infinit is kind convenient if it works for me.

It won't be long until I go to the laboratory and run some tests!

I've never been a big fan of the recovery ride. I'm not a believer in the recovery run at all. Running is just tough on your body regardless of speed. As for the bike, if I were to do a recovery ride, I would do it all @ IM pace (70-75% FTP, zone 2 HR, 7PRE or whatever you are using). I would also do it all in aero. Personally I feel that anything less than that for such a short period of time really has little/no return on investement of the time. I like the idea of swimming as 'recovery' b/c it pretty much takes your legs out of the equation.

As for Infinit etc, I don't want to say using it is silly/bad/dumb. It's just for ME, I didn't want to bother with it. I carry 2-3X the amount of salt tabs so I'm not worried about dropping them. I also use the gels that are offered on the course so one will always be nearby if I drop it too. I also put a ton extra in special needs bags for IM.

Also, regarded salt, if you are worried about cramps address hydration primarily. Science is inconclusive regarding salt and cramping.

Jamie
2011-01-17 10:56 AM
in reply to: #3271048

Farmington, Utah
Didn't do much over the weekend except 2000 yards in the pool.  Been battling a hamstring problem so need to take it easy on the run and bike.  I did meet with a trainer to help with the hamstring problem but might have to ditch the HIM in Boise in June this year and stick with healing and some shorter races again. 
2011-01-17 11:08 AM
in reply to: #3304121

User image

Veteran
Indianapolis
Danrl88 - 2011-01-17 11:27 AM

RVachon - 2011-01-17 10:57 AMI've recently started using Infinit, so far only trying the RUN ORANGE version on a 17k long run a couple weeks ago, and so far, it's the best I've used.  Gatorade simply gives me heartburn, and Hammer well, the taste is absolutely terrible.  I did have Infinit at the Welland Tri last year, and they had a bad mixture as the taste sucked there also, but you mix it yourself, it's taste good...not strong like Gatorade.

With that said, I'll probably use Infinit exclusively for all my training & races this year.  Maybe it's just brainwash but the science behind it seems more creditable than the other nutrition suppliers other there.  Most races around here use either Gatorade or Hammer so I guess I'll be bringing my own potions and use the course water.
Welland was where I had my only experience with infinit, so if you say the mix was bad but liked your own then maybe I will give it a shot in training just to see. As of right now, like I said I am pretty happy with gatorade and hammer gel. However I end up needing to carry quite a few gels, so infinit might lighten my load alittle. I am also curious about the easy ride....I assumed you mean in general when riding under an hour that you should be pushing your HR/power a little beyond your comfort because of the shorter time in relation to HIM or I'm race. But what about "recovery" rides or runs for that matter. How do you feel/what is your experience with them?Another question I had was about race planning. Right now my tenative schedule looks like this: March30-30KM run(Around the Bay), Mid-May-sprint, June26 HIM(Welland), July8-first baby born(bad timing I know haha), Aug14-HIM(steelhead), Sep 11-HIM(Muskoka), Maybe detroit half or full mara in Oct. Depending how I feel. Muskoka and Welland are A races for me. I figure they are all spaced out well enough that I should be okay. My question is more about training and stages of training base, anaerobic, taper etc. When would be a good time to start and finish each of these in relation to my schedule?? Sorry for the format...my phone won't let me use new paragraphs apparently

See my previous post regarding 'recovery' rides/runs.

That is one helluva planned race schedule you have there! I would plan backwards from Welland, so for HIM about 12-14 weeks b/4 start doing specific HIM training for it. Sprint and 30k run should just be done as a training day with no taper/recovery. Can you skip the baby? That is going to be a real form killer!

After Welland I would take a week very, very EZ or off and then begin to build again to Muskoka.

I can see you are pretty stoked about the season but in MY opinion you have a ton of races going on. Personally I would take Steelhead really ez or not sign up.

Timing of this all depends on what schedule you will be following. I would follow it to a 't' up to Welland and then 'intercept' it again after taking 1 weeks ez/off after Wellend to get re-tuned for Muskoka.

I dont' have kids but my advice to you would be to target Welland as your sole 'A' race for the year and everything after the birth is gravy. You may not be sleeping very well.....

jamie
2011-01-17 11:13 AM
in reply to: #3304121

User image

Expert
Port Colborne, Ontario

Hey Dan, looks like we have alot of races in common.  I'm also doing the 30k ATB, and Muskoka, and Welland, but just the sprint.  Maybe we'll cross paths at one point, but it looks like you're ahead of me on speed so maybe not..LOL.

2011-01-17 12:04 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Silicon Valley

NAME: dhopman - Dave - Santa Clara, CA

BACKGROUND: I do tri's for the challenge, the healthy lifestyle, the discipline, the sportsmanship, and the friendships.

28 years old, from a swimming/water polo background, eventually played collegiate level polo. Post-college, got into tri's after doing some OWS and short running races. In 2006 I started my MBA which killed my multi-sport carreer for a few years. I got back into it in 2009 with a heavy run focus which I feel is definitely my weakness

FAMILY STATUS: Engaged - getting married in July!

CURRENT TRAINING
: I'm in week 3 of my IMTX training plan.

2010 RACES
: Wildflower Oly, Vineman HIM (5:38, 1st HIM), SJ RnR Half Marathon (1:39 - PR), SV Marathon (3:40 - 1st marathon), Morgan Hill Half Marathon (1:50 pacer)

2011 RACES
: Ironman Texas is about the only thing on my radar. In Oct., I'll probably do SJ RnR Half Marathon and try to beat my PR from 2010.

2011 GOALS
: Train smart and complete Ironman Texas healthy (have had some knee problems) - no hard target for time yet...I'm thinking the over/under right now might be 12:30 but It's very hard to say.

WEIGHT-LOSS
: No goals here really. I'm 6'4", maybe 175-180 right now. I'll probably drop back to 170 with the Ironman training which is where I was for Vineman.

I hope I can help some people in this mentor group with the swimming, or just general motivation. I'm hoping to get lots of motivation to stay on top of my training plan since this is a HIM/IM focused-group, and maybe even learn a thing or two from some of you runners out there.

2011-01-17 2:18 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Centennial, CO
Well, I was starting to feel really good on Saturday afternoon and then I had to work all night...set me back a couple days. Feel decent today so I went and did some yoga.  I'm being really patient waiting for this cold to go away. It should help my left knee heal up as well.
2011-01-17 2:30 PM
in reply to: #3304644

User image

Veteran
Indianapolis
You're doing the right thing. It's just too early to screw up the season!
2011-01-17 2:37 PM
in reply to: #3304356

User image

Veteran
Indianapolis
dhopman - 2011-01-17 1:04 PM

NAME: dhopman - Dave - Santa Clara, CA

BACKGROUND: I do tri's for the challenge, the healthy lifestyle, the discipline, the sportsmanship, and the friendships.

28 years old, from a swimming/water polo background, eventually played collegiate level polo. Post-college, got into tri's after doing some OWS and short running races. In 2006 I started my MBA which killed my multi-sport carreer for a few years. I got back into it in 2009 with a heavy run focus which I feel is definitely my weakness

FAMILY STATUS: Engaged - getting married in July!

CURRENT TRAINING
: I'm in week 3 of my IMTX training plan.

2010 RACES
: Wildflower Oly, Vineman HIM (5:38, 1st HIM), SJ RnR Half Marathon (1:39 - PR), SV Marathon (3:40 - 1st marathon), Morgan Hill Half Marathon (1:50 pacer)

2011 RACES
: Ironman Texas is about the only thing on my radar. In Oct., I'll probably do SJ RnR Half Marathon and try to beat my PR from 2010.

2011 GOALS
: Train smart and complete Ironman Texas healthy (have had some knee problems) - no hard target for time yet...I'm thinking the over/under right now might be 12:30 but It's very hard to say.

WEIGHT-LOSS
: No goals here really. I'm 6'4", maybe 175-180 right now. I'll probably drop back to 170 with the Ironman training which is where I was for Vineman.

I hope I can help some people in this mentor group with the swimming, or just general motivation. I'm hoping to get lots of motivation to stay on top of my training plan since this is a HIM/IM focused-group, and maybe even learn a thing or two from some of you runners out there.

I'm glad your here! I feel very unqualified to give swimming advice. Although I'm a front of the pack triathlon swimmer, I'm chum in the water with REAL swimmers. Typically my only advice on swimming is to join a masters team or take some lessons if a person is really new to swimming.

The only other things I say to tri swimmers is to lay off the pool toys (fins and buoys especially). They have their place but I've seen too many tri people get absolutely addicted to the things.

Your first time IM goals are spot on I would think. Especially with a swimming background. Don't load up the schedule with a bunch of short races. Focus on the IM and maybe do a HIM sometime just to break up the training. IMO, too many IM athletes race way too frequently. I never understood how they could do a sprint on a day that they were supposed to do a 4 hr ride for example. The last 6 years I did three and only three races/year. It's tough to peak 2x.

Jamie
2011-01-17 2:44 PM

User image

Veteran
Indianapolis
OK guys. With Dave (dhopman) coming in I'm going to close the group. I suspect there will be 1-2 people that may sneak in the back door in the future but only if I sense that a person in the group has dropped out.

Today was about a 2500 yd swim and a 9 mile run for me. B/c my longest race this year is a HIM I'll probably cap weekly running @ 35 miles with several 15-16 mile long runs. My longest continuous swim will only be ~4K and my longest ride will be around 4 hours but it will be very hard. My 'A' race will be in July so the really hard work won't start for me until April. My goal is to qualify for 70.3 championships but I doubt I will actually go. I've spent waaay too much vacation time on races during the last 6 years (not to mention $)!

How did you do today?

Jamie

2011-01-17 3:43 PM

New user

Subject: RE: Jamie's HIM/IM Training Group-CLOSED
If you can sneak me in, I'd be much obliged.  I'm 46 with two boys (8 & 9) and am doing my first Ironman in Arizona this November.
Thanks,
John
2011-01-17 3:58 PM
in reply to: #3304207

User image

Windsor, ON
jamiej - 2011-01-17 12:08 PM

See my previous post regarding 'recovery' rides/runs. That is one helluva planned race schedule you have there! I would plan backwards from Welland, so for HIM about 12-14 weeks b/4 start doing specific HIM training for it. Sprint and 30k run should just be done as a training day with no taper/recovery. Can you skip the baby? That is going to be a real form killer! After Welland I would take a week very, very EZ or off and then begin to build again to Muskoka. I can see you are pretty stoked about the season but in MY opinion you have a ton of races going on. Personally I would take Steelhead really ez or not sign up. Timing of this all depends on what schedule you will be following. I would follow it to a 't' up to Welland and then 'intercept' it again after taking 1 weeks ez/off after Wellend to get re-tuned for Muskoka. I dont' have kids but my advice to you would be to target Welland as your sole 'A' race for the year and everything after the birth is gravy. You may not be sleeping very well..... jamie

Jamie,

It is quite a hefty race schedule, I think I just needed to hear someone else say so.  I have been back and forth on races because of the due date of the baby and the Welland HIM's date.  It was originially July 2nd which made it a no go, so thats why I looked into Steelhead as another HIM, but Welland has moved to June 26th which I think is a little more possible. 
There is a local sprint I did last year, the same day as Steelhead, so in the interest of saving money, my legs, and possibly my marriage I am going to opt for that and treat it as a training day as you suggested.  That was my plan for the other sprint and the 30k. 

Ray,

When I was looking through the groups I saw you and Alex both had Muskoka as races which was one of the motivating factors for me joining a group.  It will be nice to have some people to talk about race and training specifics with.  I did around the bay two years ago and Muskoka last year, have you done around the bay before?  I think I recall you saying Muskoka will be your first HIM.

As for today I have yet to do anything, but I have a 2 hour bike planned this evening with 3x30mins at HR race pace.
2011-01-17 4:32 PM
in reply to: #3304853

User image

Veteran
Indianapolis
teamssj - 2011-01-17 4:43 PM

If you can sneak me in, I'd be much obliged.  I'm 46 with two boys (8 & 9) and am doing my first Ironman in Arizona this November.
Thanks,
John

Ok. You're the last one. I have a feeling I've already lost one b/c I haven't heard anything past the first post.

Catch up on the thread, give us your real first name if you wish and post some facts about yourself etc. You'll see a good 'intro to me' template numerous times throughout the history of the thread.

Jamie
2011-01-17 4:34 PM
in reply to: #3304892

User image

Veteran
Indianapolis
Danrl88 - 2011-01-17 4:58 PM

jamiej - 2011-01-17 12:08 PM

See my previous post regarding 'recovery' rides/runs. That is one helluva planned race schedule you have there! I would plan backwards from Welland, so for HIM about 12-14 weeks b/4 start doing specific HIM training for it. Sprint and 30k run should just be done as a training day with no taper/recovery. Can you skip the baby? That is going to be a real form killer! After Welland I would take a week very, very EZ or off and then begin to build again to Muskoka. I can see you are pretty stoked about the season but in MY opinion you have a ton of races going on. Personally I would take Steelhead really ez or not sign up. Timing of this all depends on what schedule you will be following. I would follow it to a 't' up to Welland and then 'intercept' it again after taking 1 weeks ez/off after Wellend to get re-tuned for Muskoka. I dont' have kids but my advice to you would be to target Welland as your sole 'A' race for the year and everything after the birth is gravy. You may not be sleeping very well..... jamie

Jamie,

It is quite a hefty race schedule, I think I just needed to hear someone else say so.  I have been back and forth on races because of the due date of the baby and the Welland HIM's date.  It was originially July 2nd which made it a no go, so thats why I looked into Steelhead as another HIM, but Welland has moved to June 26th which I think is a little more possible. 
There is a local sprint I did last year, the same day as Steelhead, so in the interest of saving money, my legs, and possibly my marriage I am going to opt for that and treat it as a training day as you suggested.  That was my plan for the other sprint and the 30k. 

Ray,

When I was looking through the groups I saw you and Alex both had Muskoka as races which was one of the motivating factors for me joining a group.  It will be nice to have some people to talk about race and training specifics with.  I did around the bay two years ago and Muskoka last year, have you done around the bay before?  I think I recall you saying Muskoka will be your first HIM.

As for today I have yet to do anything, but I have a 2 hour bike planned this evening with 3x30mins at HR race pace.

Good idea Dan! Steelhead didn't quite fit in between your 2 'A' races. I would hit Welland hard and then see what happens after the baby arrives. I'm pretty sure there will be lots of HIM's in your future. I'm positive you will only ever have one first child!

Jamie
2011-01-17 5:05 PM
in reply to: #3304990

User image

Veteran
Abbotsford
jamiej - 2011-01-17 2:32 PM
teamssj - 2011-01-17 4:43 PMIf you can sneak me in, I'd be much obliged.  I'm 46 with two boys (8 & 9) and am doing my first Ironman in Arizona this November.
Thanks,
John
Ok. You're the last one. I have a feeling I've already lost one b/c I haven't heard anything past the first post. Catch up on the thread, give us your real first name if you wish and post some facts about yourself etc. You'll see a good 'intro to me' template numerous times throughout the history of the thread.Jamie[/QUOTEYou haven't lost me I'm jay away skiing. Because to training Tuesday night

2011-01-17 5:08 PM
in reply to: #3305043

User image

Veteran
Indianapolis
mpdiotte - 2011-01-17 6:05 PM

jamiej - 2011-01-17 2:32 PM
teamssj - 2011-01-17 4:43 PMIf you can sneak me in, I'd be much obliged.  I'm 46 with two boys (8 & 9) and am doing my first Ironman in Arizona this November.
Thanks,
John
Ok. You're the last one. I have a feeling I've already lost one b/c I haven't heard anything past the first post. Catch up on the thread, give us your real first name if you wish and post some facts about yourself etc. You'll see a good 'intro to me' template numerous times throughout the history of the thread.Jamie[/QUOTEYou haven't lost me I'm jay away skiing. Because to training Tuesday night

No worries. I wasn't referring to you! Don't get hurt skiing!!

Jamie
2011-01-17 5:34 PM

User image

Expert
Greer, SC
I had a pretty decent day for me today.  I was actually able to take my bike outside for a change and got in 20 miles.  Unfortunately it began to rain and the temperature dropped, so stopped there.  It was probably not a bad thing because I haven't ridden much over 20 miles since August.  (I'm trying to be smart about the "too much, too fast" theory.)  The other way has caused me too many trips to PT. 

After the ride, I went home, fueled up and headed for the pool.  I ended up swimming an easy 2000m in 40 min then did a complete (light, upper and lower body) workout.  Pretty good day. 

They are calling for more rain tomorrow so it might be another pool / heavy lower body ST day.  Wednesday is supposed to get up to 55 with sun so I might get the run in then.  I officially hate treadmill running!!!!
2011-01-17 9:38 PM

User image

New user
2011-01-17 9:39 PM

User image

New user
Not sure what happened on the last post...today I did 2200 yds in the pool.  Tomorrow is a bike day.
2011-01-18 6:28 AM

User image

Veteran
Falls Church VA
Looking ugly here in DC area today, which will kill my lunchtime run.  Treadmill run this afternoon, bike in the evening.

One of the questions that Ive been wrestling with is more in race strategy, specifically on the bike.  For a generic bike course (rolling hills, no crazy climbs that require a specific game plan), how is everyone approaching the ride?  Last year, I tried to break the rides into quarters (easy first quarter, 70-75% second quarter, push a little more third quarter, back to 70-75% fourth quarter), which seemed to work on shorter races, but didnt hold true for the HIMs.  Seemed like it slowed me down on the bike without saving my legs enough for the run.  Im also of the opinion that my run just wasnt there until the end of the year, so that could have played a role in the lack of confidence in the bike strategy.

Any thoughts?

2011-01-18 6:32 AM
in reply to: #3305501

User image

Regular
Cincinnati
This morning got a 30 min ride and 30 minute run in.......

So I have IMKY on August 28th.  I have had several suggestions from this group and some of my other friends to do Cardinal Harbor HIM or Muncie HIM?

Do I do cardinal(July 16) to get familar with the IMKY course or Muncie (July 9) to get the extra week of recovery in?

I am also on Vacation July 17th-21st at Hueston Woods where my first tri took place and can have some good ows and training rides out in the country similar to IMKY.
2011-01-18 7:41 AM

User image

Expert
Port Colborne, Ontario
It appears I caught something...I haven't been able to hold anything down since 3 yesterday and I spent the night hugging the toilet.  Fever's down from 102.6 to 100 now, but my gut still has plenty of turbulence.  No training for me today that's for sure.
2011-01-18 9:20 AM

User image

Expert
Greer, SC
Dave - Take my opinion for what's it's worth.  I have done one HIM, one IM, and some shorter distances all with respectable results for me.  For me, I go all out on the sprints.  I don't hold anything back until the last couple miles.  During my HIM, I went at the same pace for the entire race with the exception of the last five miles where I spun out the legs instead of pushing the big ring.  At that point, I took the time to stand up and stretch my legs.  Different people have different strategies and breaking the race down into smaller parts is one method that works for a lot of people.  It sounds to me like it may have been run fitness or bike preparedness.  How prepared were you for the bike portion?  Did you get in your longer rides at race pace? Did you practice this method during training?  As the saying goes, there is no such thing as a good bike if you don't have a good run to follow.

Kevin - I would say ride the race course at one time or another if you can.  It will give you some idea of the terrain.  Another option is the check out IMKY bike course on youtube.  One of the guys on iamtri videoed the entire thing.  Obviously not the same but it will give you some idea.  I didn't think it was too difficult, but it was a challenge.  My Garmin registered over 4200 feet of climbing.  If you can duplicate that on your regular rides, I wouldn't worry as much about getting out there.  The other thing about doing Cardinal Harbor is you should experience race conditions - mainly the HEAT!  The course plus heat is the killer for most people.  Make sure you train in the hottest conditions possible and later in your training at race pace.  Trust me, your body will react differently when the temps are above 90.  For the record, I loved the bike course.  I was absolutely gorgeous riding through KY horse country.

Ray - I hope you feel better.  I am hoping I can ward off a sinus infection.  Certainly not as bad as you, but I hate being sick!
2011-01-18 9:40 AM
in reply to: #3306024

User image

Veteran
Indianapolis
Jeepguy2358 - 2011-01-18 10:20 AM

Dave - Take my opinion for what's it's worth.  I have done one HIM, one IM, and some shorter distances all with respectable results for me.  For me, I go all out on the sprints.  I don't hold anything back until the last couple miles.  During my HIM, I went at the same pace for the entire race with the exception of the last five miles where I spun out the legs instead of pushing the big ring.  At that point, I took the time to stand up and stretch my legs.  Different people have different strategies and breaking the race down into smaller parts is one method that works for a lot of people.  It sounds to me like it may have been run fitness or bike preparedness.  How prepared were you for the bike portion?  Did you get in your longer rides at race pace? Did you practice this method during training?  As the saying goes, there is no such thing as a good bike if you don't have a good run to follow.

Kevin - I would say ride the race course at one time or another if you can.  It will give you some idea of the terrain.  Another option is the check out IMKY bike course on youtube.  One of the guys on iamtri videoed the entire thing.  Obviously not the same but it will give you some idea.  I didn't think it was too difficult, but it was a challenge.  My Garmin registered over 4200 feet of climbing.  If you can duplicate that on your regular rides, I wouldn't worry as much about getting out there.  The other thing about doing Cardinal Harbor is you should experience race conditions - mainly the HEAT!  The course plus heat is the killer for most people.  Make sure you train in the hottest conditions possible and later in your training at race pace.  Trust me, your body will react differently when the temps are above 90.  For the record, I loved the bike course.  I was absolutely gorgeous riding through KY horse country.

Ray - I hope you feel better.  I am hoping I can ward off a sinus infection.  Certainly not as bad as you, but I hate being sick!

Great all around advice in this post. I agree with everything here. Sprint is all out and puke at finish. Break the HIM bike up mentally but not physically. That is, split it up in your mind (five 10 mile chunks plus a 6 mile chunk etc, whatever works for you) but keep the pace the same. Even pacing within you HR zone/watts is the way to do it. Even up the hills! Never get involved in a race up a hill. That is pointless. Strive to be the last up the hill and then bomb down the backside while the other guys reach down for their water bottles (and they will) and coast down. You'll end up ahead of them most of the time.

As for Muncie/Cardinal. I guess in thinking about it more I would lean towards cardinal harbor b/c it is probably cheaper and closer for you?? This way you don't lose training days in transit. I'm not a big believer in course knowledge but I agree it's always good to give it a once over. I was never a fan of riding the course again and again. Most people that I know that do this inevitably ride with others. This means a wasted day of drafting and NOT going at YOUR desired race pace.

Ray- get better. Hydrate if you can. Don't come back to soon.

Jamie
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Jamie's HIM/IM Training Group-CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 40