BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Yanti and Lynn, Mentors of the Manatee Melee: FULL Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 43

2011-04-18 9:50 AM
in reply to: #3452151

User image

Master
Vista, CA
Subject: RE: Yanti and Lynn, Mentors of the Manatee Melee: FULL
haley913 - 2011-04-18 6:55 AM I need some advice on swim workouts.  I am only able to get to the pool only 1 or 2 times  a week so i need to maximize my training during this time.  I don't really know what I am doing...so yesterday I swam 2 800m sets.  The race I have signed up for is only a half mile swim so i was thinking if i just swam the race distance when ever possible I would be ok.  Any thoughts?

Yanti is the swim goddess, but I think getting a 2x weekly plan is a great idea. Sometimes the plans ask you to do more yardage (or meterage) than is really necessary for the distance you're training for. But you definitely want to get some shorter anaerobic sets in, too during one swim.  Maybe take a look at the sprint balanced lifestyle plan, that has two swims per week and breaks it down into sets...ie: 3 x 200, 4 x 100, etc.

For ideas for swim workouts you can also check out www.swimplan.com and enter in your information to retrieve swim workouts.  

I'll look around and see what else I can find. But, I definitely would try to do something other than just 800's in the pool. If for nothing else, to relieve boredom!  

What length of race are you training for? A sprint? Oly? Couldn't tell from your log.

2011-04-18 10:53 AM
in reply to: #3434942

Charlotte, North Carolina

Ah! I struggle so much keeping up with these logs.. haha so I apologize if anybody looks at mine and thinks "Whhhaaaattt??".

It sounds like most of you do 2x week swim.. If I'm beginning is it best to do 3x-4x/wk swim? That's what I've been trying to do, but I don't want to overkill or anything.

p.s. I feel a billion times better this week! Thank God!

2011-04-18 11:07 AM
in reply to: #3452490

User image

Melon Presser
deliriousxix - 2011-04-19 12:53 AM

Ah! I struggle so much keeping up with these logs.. haha so I apologize if anybody looks at mine and thinks "Whhhaaaattt??".

It sounds like most of you do 2x week swim.. If I'm beginning is it best to do 3x-4x/wk swim? That's what I've been trying to do, but I don't want to overkill or anything.

p.s. I feel a billion times better this week! Thank God!

So glad you are feeling better! {MELON PRESS} that's a hug, by the way.

If your form isn't crazy and you aren't getting tired out and just doing a pain-and-air-supply tolerance test by the end, yes, 3-4/wk would be best.

If the former is true, best getcha some lessons or coaching. But let me look at your logs (HAHAHA ) and also what you said in the Masters thread ...

2011-04-18 11:30 AM

User image

Veteran
Phoenix

Morning Manatees!    I had my first Master's Swim class this morning @ 5:30am - woot!  It was actually my first time back in the pool since my tri on 03/20, so almost a full month.  What??!   I was 'recovering'.  hehe.  But it felt good to get back to it.  And guess what???  Our coach is Olympic Gold Medalist, Misty Hyman!  She grew up right in the area of Phoenix where I live, and she teaches at this community pool right down the street from my house.  My kids actually go there at the end of every school year for a pool party.  How cool is that??    She also kicked off the swim portion of my triathlon last month as well.  She is SO nice.

Anyway, most of the drills we did were definitely new to me.  I'll try and remember what we did.

Freestyle warm up -- 3x50

Back drills (don't know what else to call them -- we had our arms over our head in a 'dive' position the whole time and then just kicked)  --  3x50

Kick drills -- 3x100

Dolphin (on our back) -- 3x50

10 and 10 (this where we kicked 10 times on our right side, then put face in the water and switched to the left side and kicked 10 times, repeating that combo)  --  4x25

It was a great feeling to get exercise in that early in the morning -- and it always helps to have other people there doing the same thing, as well as someone encouraging you and pushing you.

Hope everyone had a great weekend!

2011-04-18 11:35 AM
in reply to: #3452599

User image

Melon Presser
crystalashworth - 2011-04-19 1:30 AM

Morning Manatees!    I had my first Master's Swim class this morning @ 5:30am - woot!  It was actually my first time back in the pool since my tri on 03/20, so almost a full month.  What??!   I was 'recovering'.  hehe.  But it felt good to get back to it.  And guess what???  Our coach is Olympic Gold Medalist, Misty Hyman!  She grew up right in the area of Phoenix where I live, and she teaches at this community pool right down the street from my house.  My kids actually go there at the end of every school year for a pool party.  How cool is that??    She also kicked off the swim portion of my triathlon last month as well.  She is SO nice.

Anyway, most of the drills we did were definitely new to me.  I'll try and remember what we did.

Freestyle warm up -- 3x50

Back drills (don't know what else to call them -- we had our arms over our head in a 'dive' position the whole time and then just kicked)  --  3x50

Kick drills -- 3x100

Dolphin (on our back) -- 3x50

10 and 10 (this where we kicked 10 times on our right side, then put face in the water and switched to the left side and kicked 10 times, repeating that combo)  --  4x25

It was a great feeling to get exercise in that early in the morning -- and it always helps to have other people there doing the same thing, as well as someone encouraging you and pushing you.

Hope everyone had a great weekend!

Chartreuse with envy.

Great job getting back in the water, and that was a righteous workout!

2011-04-18 11:39 AM

User image

Seattle

Goooood morning everyone!

I'm sorry I haven't participated much in conversation. I am still learning how these Forum's work. Anyway, I am glad to be part of the group and enjoy reading all of your posts! 

I had a fun weekend! I ran a 10K and did a little bike ride in the sun yesterday. I live in Seattle and am anxiously awaiting some consistently nice weather.  The key word is Seattle though, so I may be waiting a while. 

2011-04-18 11:57 AM
in reply to: #3452277

, North Carolina
TriAya - 2011-04-18 10:41 AM

haley913 - 2011-04-18 10:55 PM I need some advice on swim workouts.  I am only able to get to the pool only 1 or 2 times  a week so i need to maximize my training during this time.  I don't really know what I am doing...so yesterday I swam 2 800m sets.  The race I have signed up for is only a half mile swim so i was thinking if i just swam the race distance when ever possible I would be ok.  Any thoughts?

Not a bad plan at all, and if that's what you can do, and you're fairly comfortable in open water mass swimming (or will have some opportunities to practice beforehand), it'll get you through.

I have an idea of your swim speed, how long are you able to be at the pool each time? Also, is ~1600m right now about your limit in terms of swimming endurance?

I am a pretty strong swimmer.  I am not really tired after the 1600m workout, I could defiantly go longer.  I think its kinda strange that i have pretty good endurance after only swimming 2-3 times in the past 2 years.  I swam competitively when i was a kid.  When I swim I don't tire, just get board. As you can see from my times I am not that fast, maybe this is a sign I should step up the speed.  

When I make it to the pool I could spend as long as needed there, I swim on my day's off when I can get to town.  My day's off will be mostly dedicated to training.

2011-04-18 12:30 PM
in reply to: #3452663

User image

Melon Presser
haley913 - 2011-04-19 1:57 AM

I am a pretty strong swimmer.  I am not really tired after the 1600m workout, I could defiantly go longer.  I think its kinda strange that i have pretty good endurance after only swimming 2-3 times in the past 2 years.  I swam competitively when i was a kid.  When I swim I don't tire, just get board. As you can see from my times I am not that fast, maybe this is a sign I should step up the speed.  

When I make it to the pool I could spend as long as needed there, I swim on my day's off when I can get to town.  My day's off will be mostly dedicated to training.

Well in THAT case, pump out a 5K every time you go! I'm not entirely kidding, though. Seriously if you can do at least 3K 2x/week or if only once, yes, then a 5K, I'd do it. Your swim form is probably decent from your childhood swimming, and putting in some volume will actually allow you to self-correct a lot of your stroke.

I've attached a swim plan I created for my sister, which is for an Oly, and it's loosely based on one of the swim portions of the BT oly plan and Don Fink's swim workouts for Ironman. You might get some good ideas about useful drills and how to mix it up to get some good workouts in.

Anyone who is interested in specific swim workouts, of course, feel free to check it out too!

Attachments
----------------
Swim Train Plan.Tina.docx (16KB - 15 downloads)
2011-04-18 12:36 PM
in reply to: #3452617

User image

Melon Presser
Asalzwed - 2011-04-19 1:39 AM

Goooood morning everyone!

I'm sorry I haven't participated much in conversation. I am still learning how these Forum's work. Anyway, I am glad to be part of the group and enjoy reading all of your posts! 

I had a fun weekend! I ran a 10K and did a little bike ride in the sun yesterday. I live in Seattle and am anxiously awaiting some consistently nice weather.  The key word is Seattle though, so I may be waiting a while. 

No worries, just glad you're here. At some times some of us will be able to participate more than others (that's also why we have two mentors ). Congrats again on the 10K, awesome work and good speed. Did you write a race report?

2011-04-18 12:47 PM

User image

Seattle
Yes I did! Just "published" it! Smile 
2011-04-18 1:06 PM
in reply to: #3452806

User image

Melon Presser

Asalzwed - 2011-04-19 2:47 AM Yes I did! Just "published" it! Smile 

CALLING ALL MANATEES ... hey, check out Adrienne's awesome race report <--- click here ... she didn't tell us it was her first 10k!

2011-04-18 3:11 PM
in reply to: #3452599

User image

Veteran
Austin
crystalashworth - 2011-04-18 11:30 AM

Morning Manatees!    I had my first Master's Swim class this morning @ 5:30am - woot!  It was actually my first time back in the pool since my tri on 03/20, so almost a full month.  What??!   I was 'recovering'.  hehe.  But it felt good to get back to it.  And guess what???  Our coach is Olympic Gold Medalist, Misty Hyman!  

I'm jealous!!  I actually went to college with Misty Hyman and saw her a few times, but never met her.  I did take a swim class from her coach, and in retrospect I really wish I had taken the class a tad more seriously...it would really have helped me now!

2011-04-18 3:18 PM
in reply to: #3451366

User image

Veteran
Austin
kussmaul - 2011-04-17 5:43 PM

haley913 - 2011-04-17 4:47 PM [This is GREAT!!! I have always wanted to do a warrior dash.  what did you have to do in the race?

It was not nearly as hard as they want you to think.  There were about 8 obstacles.  The first was crossing a river (maybe about 30 yards?), it was a little higher than waist deep (I'm 5'4").  There were a bunch of climbing ones - a wall you climb with a rope, a mountain of hay and a big rope ladder thing.  A couple you crawl under - a dark tunnel and a mess of ropes.  There was one section where you have to go over a wall about 4 ft high and then under a fence about 1 1/2 feet high (they alternated and there was about 6 of each).  There was a rope thing that you had to climb up about 6 feet and crawl or roll across about 30 feet.  That hurt my knees balancing on the ropes.  There was a balancing one where you go up a board a little less than a foot then walk across a smaller board then down.  A fun one was run through a bunch of tires, run over a car and then through more tires.  One was kind of lame - it was supposed to be a ghost town or something, but all you did was run through a small wooden building.  The end was back through water that was a little deeper and there were about 5 or 6 logs you had to go over (you could push them down), then you had to jump over two small rows of fire.  The last was a mud pit with about 10 stands of barbed wire over it.  There may have been more, but that's all I can remember.  None of them were hard, they basically gave you a breather from the run.  The hardest part was the mud after the water parts.  It was very slick and lots of people fell.  It was a lot of fun, you should do it.  I heard that over 17,000 people did the Dallas race.

Way to go on your race!!  The description was as helpful.  I had never thought about doing this kind of race, but lately I've seen a few of them come up on Groupon, making it tempting to try out.  

2011-04-18 3:20 PM
in reply to: #3452753

User image

Veteran
Austin
TriAya - 2011-04-18 12:30 PM

I've attached a swim plan I created for my sister, which is for an Oly, and it's loosely based on one of the swim portions of the BT oly plan and Don Fink's swim workouts for Ironman. You might get some good ideas about useful drills and how to mix it up to get some good workouts in.

Is it just me?  I can't get the swim plan attachment to open correctly, and I would LOVE to see it.  

2011-04-18 3:28 PM
in reply to: #3452186

User image

Veteran
Austin
Grainne Wynne - 2011-04-18 9:09 AM

Also If anyone can help with an issue of mine, I have a wardrobe issue with the swimming. (sorry gentlemen) I am trying to find something that will work for both the swim and the run. I am much bigger on top than the bottom so I have already tried and rule out a tri-suit. ( I looked like the "Bud Girls") Not a pretty sight for a middleaged motherLaughing I need support for my full figured problem, any ideas are greatly appreciated.

Regards

Grainne Wynne

I'm going to second everyones vote for shorts, sports bra, and tri top.  I'm a fan of the moving comfort maia bra http://www.amazon.com/Moving-Comfort-Womens-Maia-Black/dp/B001B1KUS4/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1303158161&sr=8-2

It is highly recommended on BT and I like it because it dries quicker than the other sports bras I like.  For a tri short and tri tops, lots of places sell them.  Yanti has some good links for discount places with some good selection.  I found my during the off-season on ebay for super low prices.  

It seems you can get away with wearing most anything for your tri, but it is nice to find something you are comfortable in.  

2011-04-18 4:02 PM
in reply to: #3453262

User image

Seattle
lounav - 2011-04-18 3:28 PM
Grainne Wynne - 2011-04-18 9:09 AM

Also If anyone can help with an issue of mine, I have a wardrobe issue with the swimming. (sorry gentlemen) I am trying to find something that will work for both the swim and the run. I am much bigger on top than the bottom so I have already tried and rule out a tri-suit. ( I looked like the "Bud Girls") Not a pretty sight for a middleaged motherLaughing I need support for my full figured problem, any ideas are greatly appreciated.

Regards

Grainne Wynne

I'm going to second everyones vote for shorts, sports bra, and tri top.  I'm a fan of the moving comfort maia bra http://www.amazon.com/Moving-Comfort-Womens-Maia-Black/dp/B001B1KUS4/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1303158161&sr=8-2

It is highly recommended on BT and I like it because it dries quicker than the other sports bras I like.  For a tri short and tri tops, lots of places sell them.  Yanti has some good links for discount places with some good selection.  I found my during the off-season on ebay for super low prices.  

It seems you can get away with wearing most anything for your tri, but it is nice to find something you are comfortable in.  

Ahhhh hahahahaha that is great Laughing

2011-04-18 4:05 PM
in reply to: #3451366

User image

Seattle

haley913 - 2011-04-17 4:47 PM [This is GREAT!!! I have always wanted to do a warrior dash.  what did you have to do in the race?

It was not nearly as hard as they want you to think.  There were about 8 obstacles.  The first was crossing a river (maybe about 30 yards?), it was a little higher than waist deep (I'm 5'4").  There were a bunch of climbing ones - a wall you climb with a rope, a mountain of hay and a big rope ladder thing.  A couple you crawl under - a dark tunnel and a mess of ropes.  There was one section where you have to go over a wall about 4 ft high and then under a fence about 1 1/2 feet high (they alternated and there was about 6 of each).  There was a rope thing that you had to climb up about 6 feet and crawl or roll across about 30 feet.  That hurt my knees balancing on the ropes.  There was a balancing one where you go up a board a little less than a foot then walk across a smaller board then down.  A fun one was run through a bunch of tires, run over a car and then through more tires.  One was kind of lame - it was supposed to be a ghost town or something, but all you did was run through a small wooden building.  The end was back through water that was a little deeper and there were about 5 or 6 logs you had to go over (you could push them down), then you had to jump over two small rows of fire.  The last was a mud pit with about 10 stands of barbed wire over it.  There may have been more, but that's all I can remember.  None of them were hard, they basically gave you a breather from the run.  The hardest part was the mud after the water parts.  It was very slick and lots of people fell.  It was a lot of fun, you should do it.  I heard that over 17,000 people did the Dallas race.

Congrats on the warrior dash! Those are a ton of fun. I did one in Oregon last year and it was a blast. Expensive though. 

I was running behind a guy wearing a diaper and a bonnet the entire race. It made for an entertaining/disturbing race!

2011-04-18 4:48 PM
in reply to: #3453334

User image

Dallas, TX
Asalzwed - 2011-04-18 4:05 PM

Congrats on the warrior dash! Those are a ton of fun. I did one in Oregon last year and it was a blast. Expensive though. 

I was running behind a guy wearing a diaper and a bonnet the entire race. It made for an entertaining/disturbing race!

That does sound disturbing!!!  Motivating to speed up and stay in front of him!

2011-04-18 4:50 PM
in reply to: #3453226

User image

Dallas, TX

lounav - 2011-04-18 3:18 PM Way to go on your race!!  The description was as helpful.  I had never thought about doing this kind of race, but lately I've seen a few of them come up on Groupon, making it tempting to try out.  

You should do it!  You can make it as hard as you want.  Tons of people were walking and going around obstacles.  It was not real competitive.  Wear a costume, so that expectations are low!

My race report - http://beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=248673

Edited by kussmaul 2011-04-18 4:58 PM
2011-04-18 5:30 PM
in reply to: #3452753

, North Carolina
TriAya - 2011-04-18 1:30 PM

Well in THAT case, pump out a 5K every time you go! I'm not entirely kidding, though. Seriously if you can do at least 3K 2x/week or if only once, yes, then a 5K, I'd do it. Your swim form is probably decent from your childhood swimming, and putting in some volume will actually allow you to self-correct a lot of your stroke.

Anyone who is interested in specific swim workouts, of course, feel free to check it out too!

OK, OK, i am sure a 5K would make me tired!!! (gosh, I sounded pretty cocky...didn't mean it that way  

i am gonna swim tomorrow and i will try a 3K and see how I feel, how many laps is that??? 60!  how does one keep count of so many laps???!!?  I can't imagine counting to 120 without losing track. I also can open the swim workout attachment.  

2011-04-18 8:21 PM
in reply to: #3453262

Thank you. I had seen these but wasn't sure how fast they would dry. Now I feel better about that, I will figure it out by July, I hope.

Regards

Grainne

2011-04-19 12:24 AM

User image

Melon Presser
Hm ... the swim program is in Word 2007, so if you're using a prior version, it won't open (could try saving it, and then opening it from the file as well). But in any case, I'll cut and paste it in as a following post. My sister was a swimmer way back when, so if you don't understand some of the instructions or terminologies, ask away!
2011-04-19 12:26 AM

User image

Melon Presser

“A”  Workouts (about 1500m)

A1.   200 WU, 8x50 drill, 10x50 @:10, 3x100 easy/medium/hard, 100 CD

A2.   200 WU, 8x50 drill, 8x100 @:15, 100 CD

A3.   200 WU, 8x50 drill, 4x150 @:20, 200 form, 100 CD

A4.   200 WU, 4x50 drill, 50-100-200-300-200-100-50 @:20, 100 CD

“B”  Workouts (about 2500m)

B1.   300 WU, 8x50 drill, 8x100 @:15, 8x50 @:05, 8x50 @:10, 200 CD

B2.   300 WU, 8x50 drill, 3x200 @:20, 4x100 @:05, 3x200 @:20, 200 CD

B3.   300 WU, 8x50 drill, 6x(100 @:10, 150 @:15), 3x(either 50 or 100) stroke, 200 CD

B4.   300 WU, 8x50 drill, 6x200 @:20 (easy/med/hard, repeat), 400 med-hard (last 200 form), 200 CD

B5.   300 WU, 8x50 drill, 50-100-200-300-400-300-200-100-50 @:10/100, 200 CD

Workout Key

WU = warm up

10x50 = (for example) 10 reps of 50m each

@:10 = (for example) 10 seconds rest between each rep

form = focus on swimming with perfect form

stroke = anything but freestyle

CD = cool down

• Workouts are guidelines. You can add reps, take some away, etc.
  • Other strokes (primarily back or breast) can be done as part of warm up, cool down, or drills.

Drills

Select a drill; do that for 50. The next 50 do normal stroke, focus on incorporating the drill technique. To change it up, do all drills, or just some with a 50 stroke following.

Catch-Up: Freestyle, but touch lead hand with the recovering hand before taking next stroke. Focus on long, full, gliding strokes.

Fist: Swim freestyle with hands in fists. Focus on forearm as a paddle / maximizing pull efficiency.

Barrels: Pretend you’re swimming over barrels, your hand has to enter in the gaps, and you move forward by pulling back on the barrel.  Focus on entry, quick vertical forearm, and pulling straight back.

High Elbow: Keep your elbow bent ~90-degrees underwater and close to the surface. Focus on getting forearm vertical quickly after catch and pulling back on water.

2011-04-19 8:52 AM

User image

Thanks for posting the swim program.  I have totally been slacking on my swimming.  I'm back in it today--it's been a few MONTHS since I have been in the pool.  Yikes.  I will let you know how it goes.

Yesterday I went running.  Ugh!  My heart wasn't in it so I didn't challenge myself as much as I could have.  I am getting so bored running on the treadmill.  The weather here has been so cold and rainy that going outside is not an option.  Any suggestions on how to make my runs more interesting? 

Have a great day everyone!

2011-04-19 12:02 PM
in reply to: #3454382

Charlotte, North Carolina
I know a lot of people advise against it.. but I find that listening to music/watching tv helps it go by so much faster. I'm extremely ADHD so I get all fidgety and bored when I'm on the treadmill. On my longer runs I'll either look at magazines (only at the pictures because I can't read with all the bouncing haha), listen to music, or watch tv. I don't do it a lot though because I don't wanna only be able to keep my pace when I have a distraction. Also, sometimes I will say "after running ___ min, I am going to increase my incline/pace to this much".. and that will give me something to look forward to.
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Yanti and Lynn, Mentors of the Manatee Melee: FULL Rss Feed  

of 43