BT Development Mentor Program Archives » jsiegs and slornow's Train Hard and Have Fun group - CLOSED for Training Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 56

2011-04-29 5:26 PM
in reply to: #3435676

User image

Master
Baltimore
Subject: RE: jsiegs and slornow's Train Hard and Have Fun group - Open

Good discussion about food you guys are having.  What does everyone else do with food?  What's worked and what hasn't?

For me, I recently realized that Cliff products were causing some running GI issues.  I only ate them training, so all my races have been fine (knock on wood).  I just loaded up on Power Bar gels, bars and Preform as that's what will be on my A race course.  I'm lucky because I like it and have never had an issue stomaching it.  Its what I've been using and will use training so I'm confident I'll be OK on raceday feeding off the course.  

The day before, I like to get some good carbs in me, but nothing excessive.  I also like to spread it throughout the day - I never what to be hungry or thirsty, but constantly "comfortable" in those.  Early-ish dinner if possible, but usually not if I'm driving somewhere.  It's also the one time I pass on whole wheat products (never know how that fiber is gonna affect you!).  I need my coffee and more of the same easy carbs in the morning.  The coffee is my "pre-race GI cleanse" if you will...works like a charm!

2011-04-29 6:23 PM
in reply to: #3470151

User image

Master
Baltimore
jsiegs - Joe - Baltimore
slornow - Randy - Fairhope, AL
Khharms - Karla - Katy, TX
nmladic - Nicole - Oak Park, IL
PnkHxC81 - Kevin - Las Vegas
gwied - Glenn - Ames, Iowa
[email protected] - Rob - Naples, FL
Cbrookhart - Christy - Baltimore
dughogue - Doug - Cinncinnati, OH
MattCan- Matt - College Place, ??
Savage8778 - Nick - Jacksonville, FL
wangersinc - Xaio - NYC

12 so far.  I'm happy with the number and looks like we'll have a great group.  I'm gonna wait another day or two to close it, just in case we get another who'd like to join.  Any objections?

Lets also add each other to our friends list (I know some have already started...I'm the slow one).  That way we can check out each other's training and see how we're doing.

2011-04-29 6:31 PM
in reply to: #3474186

User image

Extreme Veteran
Edmonds

Lets also add each other to our friends list (I know some have already started...I'm the slow one).  That way we can check out each other's training and see how we're doing.

How do we add each other to our friends list?

2011-04-29 7:37 PM

User image

Veteran

Hey everyone, can I join?

Name: Beth, but I answer to Hubbie or anything else you want to call me.

Story: I've been active in the phyiscal fitness world for most of my life. Six years in the Air Force really got me in shape. After moving around for a bit I finally setteled down in Iowa as a paramedic. I am nine weeks away from getting my BS in Education. I'm supper excited about being down with school.

I found BT a few months ago and love having someplace that I can do to for my questions, suggestions, and training logs. I signed up for my first triathlon on July 10 of this year. It is a sprint tri as part of the Iowa Games. Last year I did a lot of road races and ended my season with a half marathon. I would like to another half marathon this year, maybe even two.

I am looking for a group to help me train for both a half marathon and my upcomming triathlon. I currently work out three hours a day, six days a week. I do free weights and everyday do at least two of the tri sports. By far swimming is my weakest sport followed by biking. I really do enjoy all of them but I know I need more work and training to meet my fullest potential.

Family: Not married but I do have a son who is three with all the attitude of a sixteen year old. He is the love of my life and keeps me active.

Races for this year:

So far just one, the Red Flannel Run in Febuary in Des Moines, IA. I wanted to do the Drake Relays this year but with a death in the family and an unexpected surgery I had to put that one on hold. My next race is the Dam to Dam which is 20 K on June 10. I'm very much looking forward to it. I did the Dam to Dam last year and had a great time.

Weightlose: While I look lean and slim I weigh a lot more than people think. I contribute that to my almost 16 years of lifting free weights and continue to do so. As a paramedic having a strong body that can lift a lot of weight all day injury free is very important. So I'm really not to concerned about how much I weigh, but being the average female I wouldn't mind loosing a few pounds : ).

2011-04-29 8:04 PM
in reply to: #3474261

User image

Master
South Alabama
Hubbie - 2011-04-29 7:37 PM

Hey everyone, can I join?

Name: Beth, but I answer to Hubbie or anything else you want to call me.

Story: I've been active in the phyiscal fitness world for most of my life. Six years in the Air Force really got me in shape. After moving around for a bit I finally setteled down in Iowa as a paramedic. I am nine weeks away from getting my BS in Education. I'm supper excited about being down with school.

I found BT a few months ago and love having someplace that I can do to for my questions, suggestions, and training logs. I signed up for my first triathlon on July 10 of this year. It is a sprint tri as part of the Iowa Games. Last year I did a lot of road races and ended my season with a half marathon. I would like to another half marathon this year, maybe even two.

I am looking for a group to help me train for both a half marathon and my upcomming triathlon. I currently work out three hours a day, six days a week. I do free weights and everyday do at least two of the tri sports. By far swimming is my weakest sport followed by biking. I really do enjoy all of them but I know I need more work and training to meet my fullest potential.

Family: Not married but I do have a son who is three with all the attitude of a sixteen year old. He is the love of my life and keeps me active.

Races for this year:

So far just one, the Red Flannel Run in Febuary in Des Moines, IA. I wanted to do the Drake Relays this year but with a death in the family and an unexpected surgery I had to put that one on hold. My next race is the Dam to Dam which is 20 K on June 10. I'm very much looking forward to it. I did the Dam to Dam last year and had a great time.

Weightlose: While I look lean and slim I weigh a lot more than people think. I contribute that to my almost 16 years of lifting free weights and continue to do so. As a paramedic having a strong body that can lift a lot of weight all day injury free is very important. So I'm really not to concerned about how much I weigh, but being the average female I wouldn't mind loosing a few pounds : ).

Hey Beth-glad to have you as a part of the group.

Randy 
2011-04-29 8:06 PM
in reply to: #3474194

User image

Veteran
Katy, TX
cbrookhart - 2011-04-29 6:31 PM

I'm lost on this too! Also, can we bookmark threads on here?

there is a lot of technical stuff to learn on this site!

2011-04-29 8:12 PM

User image

Master
South Alabama
I've missed alot this afternoon. Glad to see some new members. Welcome Nick and Xaio!

Got my workouts in and then spent some time starting to powerwash my driveway.  Really fun....................for the first 10 minutes........then not so much.  I figure another 3-4 hours and it will be done.

Good discussion on nutrition.  I use Accelerade as my drink on the bike but mix it at about half of what is suggested. I also use Accel gels and sometimes GU Chomps.  The Accelerade and Accel gels are what I started with and have stuck with.  No GI issues with them and Bonktown periodically runs some good deals on large Accelerade containers.

Randy 
2011-04-29 8:19 PM
in reply to: #3474194

User image

Veteran
Jacksonville
cbrookhart - 2011-04-29 7:31 PM

+1...Tried messing around to see if I could stumble onto it, but no such luck.

2011-04-29 9:00 PM

User image

Master
South Alabama

Ok-adding friends.  I'll give it a shot.

1. Go to your training log-there is a symbol for "training log"  at the top of the BT home page.

2. When your log comes up scroll down and you will see friends to the left.  There is a small  + there. Click on it and it will take you to your current friends list.  You can add by typing in someones screen name like "slornow"

There may be a better way but this is what I do.

Randy

2011-04-29 9:20 PM
in reply to: #3474347

User image

Extreme Veteran
Edmonds
slornow - 2011-04-29 9:00 PM

1. Go to your training log-there is a symbol for "training log"  at the top of the BT home page.

2. When your log comes up scroll down and you will see friends to the left.  There is a small  + there. Click on it and it will take you to your current friends list.  You can add by typing in someones screen name like "slornow"

Randy

I can't believe I couldn't figure that out.  Oh well.  I have friends now Smile

2011-04-29 9:35 PM
in reply to: #3474364

User image

Master
South Alabama
cbrookhart - 2011-04-29 9:20 PM
slornow - 2011-04-29 9:00 PM

Randy

I can't believe I couldn't figure that out.  Oh well.  I have friends now Smile

Wow! Me giving accurate "tech" related information........truly a milestone for me.  Glad it worked for you!

Randy

2011-04-29 9:40 PM

User image

Master
South Alabama
Now that our group is filling out I was curious as to whether any of you have participated in mentor groups prior to this one?  Joe and I met in our last mentor group.  We were both "mentees" and it was a great group.I really learned alot and it was very motivating.  I am excited about the energy and level of participation with this group so far and that led to my question?  Anyone done this before?

Randy 
2011-04-29 9:41 PM

User image

Regular
Carmichael

@Christy- Yeah I am super pumped to race in Victoria. I have visited there once before and am looking forward to going back and racing. It's such a beautiful area! 

@Joe- College Place, WA. I will be bringing the west coast perspective to the discussion   

2011-04-30 12:39 AM

User image

@ Beth, What did you do in the Air Force? I am currently sationed at Nellis AFB in Las Vegas and work on the F-16.

@ Matt, I am in Vegas and can be to the beach in cali in 5 hours, so I would like to think of myself as representing the west coast. Graduated highschool in SoCal and love the beach and sun. I think I will have to talk the wife and kids into going to the beach for some OWS this summer.

Breakfast for me before a race or an early workout is a package of brown sugar poptarts. 420 calories, 68g of carbs and it sits well with me. Not to much but enough to get going.

My last race and on long rides I use one bottle of half strength gatoraid and have another bottle of just water. Then I have a flask with hammer gel in it. It doesn't upset the stomach and I can't eat when I bike or run so I stick to the gels and what they have at aid stations for the run.

I have not been part of a mentor group like this and am enjoying it. I already feel horrible with the lack of time I have been putting in compared to the rest of you. It is motivating.

Kevin

Edited by PnkHxC81 2011-04-30 12:44 AM
2011-04-30 8:22 AM
in reply to: #3474287

User image

Master
Baltimore
khharms - 2011-04-29 9:06 PM
cbrookhart - 2011-04-29 6:31 PM

I'm lost on this too! Also, can we bookmark threads on here?

there is a lot of technical stuff to learn on this site!

For bookmarking threads, what a lot of people do is just copy and paste the link into your blog so you have easy access.  Another method is to "subscribe" to the thread.  At the bottom of the page, you should see a link that says "Toggle e-mail notification" - click it then select that you want to receive email updates.  If you provided BT an email address, it will now send you an email every time someone posts (which also has a link to the thread in it).  That's what I do personally.

2011-04-30 8:26 AM
in reply to: #3474483

User image

Master
Baltimore
PnkHxC81 - 2011-04-30 1:39 AM

@ Beth, What did you do in the Air Force? I am currently sationed at Nellis AFB in Las Vegas and work on the F-16.

@ Matt, I am in Vegas and can be to the beach in cali in 5 hours, so I would like to think of myself as representing the west coast. Graduated highschool in SoCal and love the beach and sun. I think I will have to talk the wife and kids into going to the beach for some OWS this summer.

Breakfast for me before a race or an early workout is a package of brown sugar poptarts. 420 calories, 68g of carbs and it sits well with me. Not to much but enough to get going.

My last race and on long rides I use one bottle of half strength gatoraid and have another bottle of just water. Then I have a flask with hammer gel in it. It doesn't upset the stomach and I can't eat when I bike or run so I stick to the gels and what they have at aid stations for the run.

I have not been part of a mentor group like this and am enjoying it. I already feel horrible with the lack of time I have been putting in compared to the rest of you. It is motivating.

Kevin

You shouldn't feel horrible at all.  We each have our personal family/friends/social/life balance we need to keep strong.  10 hours a week might be easy for some but impossible for others.  For reference, check out my training for the past 3-4 weeks Innocent.  I agree that seeing what everyone else is doing is motivating too.  I think it's why these groups work so well and are so popular.

2011-04-30 9:01 AM

User image

Master
Baltimore

So, I've been battling vertigo for the last two weeks (stemming from a run and an ear infection).  Saw an ENT doc yesterday who cleaned out some build up and did some tests.  He said go ahead to try training again.  My ear still feels a little weird and just jogged with our dog quickly and I don't think I can run just yet, which really stinks.  I'm planning to bike though as that seems fine (on the trainer at least).  So I'm hopeful that next week I can add swimming back in (I'm cautious because I've had multiple ear infections recently...didn't have one for 27 years and now I get multiple in a month?  I don't understand!).  Anyway, I'm gonna ditch plans for a real run today and just do another bike.  I was gonna bike the course for an upcoming tri, but I'm a little time crunched so it'll just trainer again today.

In other news, I've gotten a sponsorship for the upcoming season!  I applied through Active Ambassadors (I mention this in case anyone else out there is looking for an opportunity) for Team ReGen, a cocoa based recovery beverage.  I'll have to disclose it in my signature/on my blog page so I wanted to let everyone know why it would be showing up.  I'm really excited about it, they have groups of athletes located in different regions and Baltimore was one of those regions.  I'm excited to see what being on a sponsored team is like.  I don't plan becoming a marketer and "selling" anything here, but I may mention it on my blog when I start using it and describe if I like it.

2011-04-30 9:33 AM

User image

Veteran
Naples

Today is a day off    Yahoo! 

Yesterday ran 2 hours in heat, 92 degrees in South Florida at 3 pm, man I was drained. 

Tomorrow is a 3 hour bike ride and 30 min run

Fun stuff have a great weekend

2011-04-30 9:41 AM
in reply to: #3474651

User image

Veteran
Naples
Hope you get to feeling better, great news on your sponser! 
2011-04-30 10:11 AM

User image

New user

South Jersey
I see your about to close this group... do you have room for one more?
2011-04-30 11:39 AM
in reply to: #3474651

User image

Extreme Veteran
Edmonds
jsiegs - 2011-04-30 9:01 AM

So, I've been battling vertigo for the last two weeks (stemming from a run and an ear infection).  Saw an ENT doc yesterday who cleaned out some build up and did some tests.  He said go ahead to try training again.  My ear still feels a little weird and just jogged with our dog quickly and I don't think I can run just yet, which really stinks.  I'm planning to bike though as that seems fine (on the trainer at least).  So I'm hopeful that next week I can add swimming back in (I'm cautious because I've had multiple ear infections recently...didn't have one for 27 years and now I get multiple in a month?  I don't understand!).  Anyway, I'm gonna ditch plans for a real run today and just do another bike.  I was gonna bike the course for an upcoming tri, but I'm a little time crunched so it'll just trainer again today.

In other news, I've gotten a sponsorship for the upcoming season!  I applied through Active Ambassadors (I mention this in case anyone else out there is looking for an opportunity) for Team ReGen, a cocoa based recovery beverage.  I'll have to disclose it in my signature/on my blog page so I wanted to let everyone know why it would be showing up.  I'm really excited about it, they have groups of athletes located in different regions and Baltimore was one of those regions.  I'm excited to see what being on a sponsored team is like.  I don't plan becoming a marketer and "selling" anything here, but I may mention it on my blog when I start using it and describe if I like it.

Great news about the sponsor.  That is exciting.  That sucks that you can't run or swim right now.  Makes the whole triathlon training thing kind of hard.

I had the worst workout today.  I'm not really sure you can call it a workout.  I woke up at 5:30 to meet a friend for a little brick.  We got our times messed up and she only ended up having time for a bike.  She had also run 11.5 miles last night which caused some tired legs for her.  In addition to all this, I'm faster on the bike (faster than her, not faster than many other people.)  All this lead to a SLOW/short ride.  I don't really mind having a slow ride, I just hate waking up at 5:30 and doing it in the cold.  I also hate finishing a ride and feeling like I didn't get anything out of it.  I'm certain just time on my bike is helpful.  It's a new bike, I'm still gettin used to it.  Enough complaining.  Tomorow I'm going to bike and run the course for a race I have in May.  That should be good. 

Hope everyone is having a great weekend.

Christy

2011-04-30 12:18 PM
in reply to: #3474702

User image

Master
South Alabama
JoyDeh - 2011-04-30 10:11 AM I see your about to close this group... do you have room for one more?

There's room for you.  Give us your background when you have a chance.

Randy
2011-04-30 12:26 PM

User image

Master
South Alabama
Christy-sorry about the workout.  I'm a big believer in "time in the saddle" on the bike.  So, even though it was a slow ride it works to build endurance on the bike.  I use alot of "recovery" workouts rather than taking many all out rest days.  An easy 45 minute spin on the bike or an easy swim usually makes me feel better than just a day off. BUT, with that said rest/recovery days are an important part of an overall training plan. If my body is really fatigued I will dial it back and take a day off.

A bit of a milestone for me.  Went over 500 miles on the bike this month for the first time.  Really its the result of having strained my upper quad 2 weeks ago. Fine to cycle but not run so I have been bike focused the last couple of weeks.  Did throw in a very short run after my ride today and it felt good.  I'll see how it feels in the morning...hopefully training numbers will be more balanced next month.

Randy 
2011-04-30 1:39 PM
in reply to: #3474799

User image

New user

South Jersey

Great - Thank you for having me! 

NAME/AGE: JoyDeh: Joyce  37

STORY:  Three years after my second daughter was born I was still 25 lbs. overweight.  Never exercised a day in my 31 years, I bought a pair of runners and began jogging.  I fell in love with jogging,  did some races.  Exercise naturally led to a desire to eat healthier, try other sports and I lost and maintained my weight.  

I live in a small town that hosts' an annual Sprint Triathlon.  Every year I tell myself - "Next year, I'm doing it!"  I volunteered at the race, the atmosphere is so inspiring.  Finally, six years later....I've signed up early, no turning back now   At the same time, I'm both excited and scared ......I can't wait, and wish I had another year...LOL.      

FAMILY STATUS:  Married my high school sweetheart 17 years ago.  Two beautiful daughters, ages 12 and 10.  One crazy 6 month old JTR.

CURRENT TRAINING:  I need a plan, there are a million on-line but I just don't do well with plans.  I write it all out, after that it stays as a mental guideline for my training/workout days.  I love to workout, I exercise 6-7 days a week.  I try to "listen" to my body, if I'm not feeling it, I go easy.  I push on good days. 

PREVIOUS RACES:  Did a couple 5k's and a 5 miler when I first began running 6 years ago...nothing since.

2011 RACES: 

Jersey Genesis Tri .5 swim/16 bike/4 run - 6/11/11

WEIGHTLOSS:  I've gained 5-8lbs over the winter and am looking forward to dropping the extra lbs.  Always interested in health, nutrition and tips to keep the weight off.   

GOALS:  SPEED.  I'm really hoping you guys and gals can help me here.  My initial goal was to "finish" the triathlon.  I taught myself to swim this winter at the local gym.  Now that I'm able to swim continuously I'd really like to pick up my speed in all 3 areas. Currently:

Swim - 36 laps (25yards pool):  22/23 minutes

Bike - currently spinning at the gym, just getting warm enough outside here.  Last summer I was averaging 16-17mph on the race course.

Run - 9 min. mile for short distances (1-3 miles)  10 min. mile for (4-6 miles)

Is it too ambitious to shoot for 18m. swim, 19/20mph on bike and 8:30 mile on race day.... 6 weeks from now?  Any advice appreciated!!! 

2011-04-30 2:04 PM

User image

Veteran
Oak Park

Hi guys! Again, thanks for all your notes on the article. I'm so glad you like it! I showed my mom and she made me print it out so she could show people. Ha.

Just wanted to let you know that I did my 5K Run to Remember for the Chicago Police Memorial Foundation today and... I got a new 5K PR!  My time was 26.56 - a full minute faster than my previous PR, set last year at this same race. I guess all the strength work and training I did in the off season really paid off.  Woo hoo!  Must have been good race karma - our team raised more than $400 for the cause.

Just waiting to swim at my gym once the lanes open up tonight at 5 p.m. - longer swim today and then lots of stretching tonight.

@Joe - I have never swam in a wetsuit before. The thought of it kind of freaks me out. I need to just do it and get over it. I hear it's better but for some reason it's a source of anxiety for me. Weird, I know.

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » jsiegs and slornow's Train Hard and Have Fun group - CLOSED for Training Rss Feed  

of 56