BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Shellback1998 Group - FULL Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 67

2011-05-09 1:37 PM
in reply to: #3489650

User image

Expert
Subject: RE: Shellback1998 Group - OPEN

yeah, i'm not allowed to do it either. I'll be biking the 17 miles there, biking the 30 home, then have a transition run after. Then I'll swim... Kind of bummed, but I'm staying committed to my plan and making sure I peak for PVD.

scott

2011-05-09 4:04 PM
in reply to: #3439366

User image

Master
Los Angeles, CA
Hi Scott!  Roland here from southern California.  I was advised to take advantage of the mentor programs in BT and so here I am...  Greetings everyone!  I am 36 years old, 5'7", and weigh 148lbs.  I have a slim to medium build.  I have been doing all 3 disciplines of a triathlon for the past 2 years on a regular casual basis and decided that it's time for me to jump in!  I am signed up for the September 11th Pacific Coast Triathlon.  =)

I learned alot so far and I enjoyed reading the posts in your forum.  Looks like you and I are both engineers so we love analyzing numbers!  I started a customized training plan about 3 weeks ago and I've been logging each workout.  Will you please look at my training log and tell me what you think?

I started getting into running few years ago on a casual basis but I overpronated/injured my left patella tendon about 2 and a half years ago. I successfully completed my physical therapy and I'm currently posting 9:12 pace keeping myself in Zone 4 (about 83%/160bpm) on the shorter runs without killing myself and Zone 3 (about 75%/148bpm) for the longer runs posting 9:20.  Have any advice about my running pace or pain management should it happen?  I'm a long way from my race so I'd like to make good decisions at this point of my training program.

I think I'm doing okay as a cyclist and can ride up to 40 miles comfortably.  However, with my new shoe cleats, I'm getting a slight numbness on my left big toe area after about 30-40 minutes cycling which I've reduced after a few adjustments on the bike.  But it's not completely gone so I'm planning on getting some eSoles soon to see if that will alleviate the problem.  What else do you think I should consider?

I can comfortably swim for 60-90 minutes at a low Zone 3 pace freestyle with bilateral breathing.  Based on my calculations I pace a 47-49 second lap over 1500 yards.  I think I need to work on my technique and efficiency so got my hands on Total Immersion.  Great recommendation!  Since I already know how to freestyle, when do you recommend I do the drills?  I was thinking after my regular swim workouts?  I also don't have much experience swimming in open water with low visibility. Do you have any recommendations for navigating through the course when the water makes it hard to see anything? 

Anyways, that's where I am and I look forward to working with you as my race day approaches. HRM watches rock!  I think everyone who's starting out should get one.  They keep you on track like Scott says!

Thanks,

Roland =^.^=

Edited by kloofyroland 2011-05-09 6:21 PM
2011-05-09 8:09 PM
in reply to: #3489469

shellback1998 - 2011-05-09 12:29 PM

Joy

Well, you shouldn't be nervous be confident in your ability. I know all of us will be pulling for you. Have you swam the distance before? I had a recovery swim today which was 1400 yards. What is your pace per/100M? 21st is 12 days away, so go to a pool and swim that 1000M. Gain the confidence that you need and kill that race. I'm sure you'll find that you won't have any problem at all. 

Scott

Yeah, I have swam that distance. I am nervous because in my first tri I panicked. Why, I don't know. I have been trained as a rescuer and recovery diver, swift water rescue, etc. and for some reason, when I set out on that swim and saw someone get rescued, I freaked out! I am a very strong swimmer, but I keep going back to that feeling of panic I had. This past weekend, I did improve my time by 3 minutes! I plan to swim the full 1000 this weekend in the pool, then do some pull buoy work (it seemed to work for this swim). As far as swimming in the triathlons, that's my strongest set. I get passed on the bike course, though, but getting better and taking your advice.

2011-05-10 1:17 AM

User image

Wow, it looks like the people who raced this weekend had great times.  I biked 20.1 miles on Sunday, flat course and it felt great!!!  Especially after the run then bike combo on Saturday, my legs were definitely tired at the end of the bike on Saturday but recovered and felt fresh on Sunday.  I will need to do some more of the brick workouts to get my legs in shape I think.

Today, I went to the pool after work and started out with doing lesson one of the Total Immersion dvd.  Then I did my laps and tried to incorporate the lessons into my swim.  I think I was using way to much energy kicking before and I actually felt more balanced in the water slowing my kicking way down.  Did a total of 1200 yds, but I can only swim freestyle for 50 yards at a time.  I am feeling much more comfortable and the breathing is getting much better, as is my head position.  Just need to pull it all together and that just takes more time in the water.  I am going to try to get in the pool 4-5x per week. 

Oh, and the battery on my Polar watch died.  And you have to send it in to get the battery replaced?  That just seems wrong!  So, I am back to running like I did in the old days by listening to my body.

Linda

2011-05-10 5:35 AM
in reply to: #3490476

User image

Expert
Hey there, well seeing that might make me nervous as well. However, I know you will overcome it. My first ever triathlon was last year. It was at Hopkinton state park. The first wave went off and I knew this was going to be tough as the wind picked up and I see all these swimmers starting to have problems. I then, see swimmers trying to hold on to Kayak's and the rescue boat, until the rescue boat actually capsized. I asked myself what did I get myself into. Well, the Race Director cancelled the remainder swims which turned the event into a duathlon. We ran from the beach, dismounted our wetsuits and grab our bikes. I guess what I'm trying to say is even witnessed what happened, it really didn't defer me. I knew I was a strong swimmer, maybe not fast but I can hold my own.  Confidence and Mental to me is the 4 leg of a triathlon. You need to be confident in your training, every training day make it meaningful and not just exercise. Make yourself better, and training will be tough but also enjoyable. Come race day, it's just execution of all the training you have done.   Listening to the training you have in the water, I am 100% confident you will have no problems. Like I've said before. If you're worried, when the whistle blows to start your wave, count to 10 and then just swim like it was just you and your training partner. Have fun! You'll do amazing...
2011-05-10 6:11 AM
in reply to: #3490070

User image

Expert

Hey Roland, welcome. What's the distance of the Pacific Coast Triathlon? If you've been doing all three disciplines for 2 years why you waiting for September 11th? I'm sure you can do one before that I review your training log after I finish writing this. 

Running pace, well that's a great question. During my running, I'm usually about 10 beats higher than my Anaerobic Threshold (AT) on Race Days, however 90% of my running I'm at or below my Aerobic Threshold AeT while training. Since you train with HR Do you know what those terms are?

Numbness in your toes, I have not experienced this before and will be interested if the eSoles fixes this problem. Where you properly fitted on the bike? Is your saddle height correct? When you pedal, do you point your toes, or is it pretty flat? What is your cadence when you are usually biking? What kind of bike shoes are you wearing?

I'm glad to hear that you are getting into Total Immersion (TI) I recommend doing the drills before your main set, and try incorporating the drills you just learned into the main set. When you are Open Water Swimming (OWS) try to site off something every 3-4 strokes to make sure you are going correctly. If you are swimming with someone, you can do this by keeping them to the right and ahead of you at all times.  Almost drafting off of them. 

Scott

2011-05-10 6:15 AM
in reply to: #3490070

User image

Expert

Your training is looking pretty good so far. Did you just buy a HRM? You're earlier training had no numbers to compare against. Anyway good job and keep up the good work. 

Scott

2011-05-10 6:22 AM
in reply to: #3490808

User image

Expert

Ah man! Sorry to hear about the battery... Good thing though,  you can still use your HR but you can do it manually, just run for a desired time, take your pulse manually. Count how many beats in 6 seconds and then just multiple by 10, that will give you BPM. Stay in your zones. Also, if you don't like that idea. Go running and have a conversation. If you can hold a conversation and not get winded you're in a good pace and good aerobic training. Great job on the TI... Glad to see that you found out that you were kicking harder than you should. Although, kicking depends on fast you want to go as it's a good propulsion as well. When you do kicking drills, you'll find out you'll have to kick hard to just stay afloat. If you have to stop every 50 yards to catch your breath while swimming then slow your stroke down and build that endurance up. We need to get you to do 440 yards for that 1/4 mile swim. Next time try go go longer. Breath either every stroke to start off, or if your comfortable bilateral breath.  I think 3x a week is more than adequate for swimming.  That's all my coach has me swimming, and swimming is my worst discipline.  Well good progress, and looking forward to your continued transformation

Scott

2011-05-10 6:25 AM
in reply to: #3489627

User image

Expert

My workouts for Today Tuesday May 10th 2011

BST's
Warmup: 
35-40 min @ ZR/Z1 

Main Set: 
3 X (10 min interval @ 55-60 RPM, 4 min easy recovery @ 90 rpm, 3 X (1 min @ 105+ RPM, 1 min @ 90 RPM easy recovery for both
**Use best sustainable effort through all intervals** 

Cooldown: 
To 100 min @ ZR 

Z1 T Run (1st mile Z2)

Run the 1st mile off of the bike @ Z2 and the remainder at Z1. 

2011-05-10 7:36 AM

Just an update........I went for a ride on Friday (still getting comfortable w/ clipping in/out of pedals).  Things were going so well.  I was really beginning to feel more confident....and then.......I am thinking right, right, right and falling left, left, left.  I fractured the proximal head of the radius in my left elbow.  Good news is that it is not displaced and healing time should be pretty quick.  Better news is that my race is not until October - lol.  Doing relatively light cardio this week and hope to be able to get back to running and biking possibly as early as next week.  Swimming may have to wait a little longer

2011-05-10 7:42 AM
in reply to: #3491000

User image

Expert

Wow... I'm sorry to hear about your injury. I know a few people who have done exactly what you described about the right right right, and fall left. I'm glad that your race is in October. Take it easy and let it heal. Thanks for the update... Get better soon.

Scott

2011-05-10 7:59 AM
in reply to: #3491000

User image

WV
[email protected] - 2011-05-10 8:36 PM

Just an update........I went for a ride on Friday (still getting comfortable w/ clipping in/out of pedals).  Things were going so well.  I was really beginning to feel more confident....and then.......I am thinking right, right, right and falling left, left, left.  I fractured the proximal head of the radius in my left elbow.  Good news is that it is not displaced and healing time should be pretty quick.  Better news is that my race is not until October - lol.  Doing relatively light cardio this week and hope to be able to get back to running and biking possibly as early as next week.  Swimming may have to wait a little longer

Sorry to hear about your injury.  Unfortunately, falling due to clipless pedals is like a rite of passage for newbies.  I've done it many, many times myself. 

Take things slow and heal up.  You have plenty of time before your race, so no need to rush things. 

2011-05-10 8:01 AM
in reply to: #3490895

User image

WV
shellback1998 - 2011-05-10 7:25 PM

My workouts for Today Tuesday May 10th 2011

BST's
Warmup: 
35-40 min @ ZR/Z1 

Main Set: 
3 X (10 min interval @ 55-60 RPM, 4 min easy recovery @ 90 rpm, 3 X (1 min @ 105+ RPM, 1 min @ 90 RPM easy recovery for both
**Use best sustainable effort through all intervals** 

Cooldown: 
To 100 min @ ZR 

Z1 T Run (1st mile Z2)

Run the 1st mile off of the bike @ Z2 and the remainder at Z1. 

I had a tempo ride on the trainer this morning, staying in Z3 for about 20 minutes.  Total ride was an hour.  Followed it immediately with a short, 20-minute run, staying in Z1.

Have a great day everyone

2011-05-10 8:03 AM

User image

Expert

Tuesday 5-10 workout

Free

Pull with Paddles

Desc @60

Free @3:40

4X100 @1:55

Breast

Kick free

Free @5:30

3X100 @1:50

Breast

Kick back

Free @3:40

2X100 @1:45

Breast

Dolphin

free

Today was one of those days where stretching before the workout I thought oh man am I in trouble. So we get through the first 600 which is pretty much a warmup and I'm all over leading the first set so I can get it out of the way and then coast. So it's 200 @3:45 which is no big deal but the guy behind me is a jet when he wants to be so I can't really completely tank it because he'll be all over my feet. So I go out at a good pace but not killing myself and just concentrating on form and I'm hoping for about 3:30. We hit the wall at 2:57 and I say out-loud, but not on purpose, Wow that was fast and the jet echos while laughing that was really fast.

Next is 4X100 @ 1:55, again no biggie and I'm just thinking 1:40 is fine. I bring all 4 in at 1:25 effortlessly. Finish up with breast and the kick drill and happily go to the back of the line.  The entire rest of the workout is the same. I was giving people extra time so I wasn't all over their feet by the end of the first length. I have no idea where it came from.

This is where working out with a group and especially with the swim pays great dividends. I NEVER would have had this workout alone. I was so stiff and sore warming up but ego is what it is so you kick it into gear regardless.

The teacher screwed up her math and I thought I had 3150 but only had 2850 which was the only negative because as it turned out I had another 3-400 in me no problem but stopped because I was happy with the yardage I thought I had.

2011-05-10 9:40 AM
in reply to: #3491068

User image

Expert

Great workout! You'r stronger than I am swimming, and I honestly don't do any other strokes when i was at the masters class. I stayed with Freestyle the whole time. I can do all the strokes, but I didn't see a reason to use them when I wasn't going to be using them.  Sounds like you had a good work out though... Great job!

Scott

2011-05-10 11:01 AM
in reply to: #3491275

User image

Expert
shellback1998 - 2011-05-10 10:40 AM

I can do all the strokes, but I didn't see a reason to use them when I wasn't going to be using them.

I think there's a cross training benefit. In the case of breast stroke working the shoulder muscles but even more importantly I feel like that kick benefits the muscles in the groin and hip area and makes the core stronger. In the case of back stroke it's like a reverse crawl so you're building the same muscles differently and I also practice having my kick power come out of my hips not my knees. I won't do fly however. I find it exhausting and a good way to get injured.

We don't normally do as much breast as we did today. Generally it might get thrown in for 50 in the warmup and\or cool down. I pretty much do breast whenever its called for. Back I probably do 50% of the time and revert to crawl like you the rest.

2011-05-10 11:06 AM

User image

Expert

Someone asked me to help them calculate there HR Zones, I made an excel spreadsheet. So if any of you would like to have it please let me know or email me at [email protected] 

Here is what I posted in the other forum

I just did a simple calc, using your age of 41. Normally under 30,  you use 220-AGE to get a rough idea of your Maximum Hear Rate (MHR), but since you're slightly older you have to do a variation of that. So I use 190 - ((AGE-30)/2)=184.5 as your MHR, now to get your Hear Rate Reserve(HRR)I just guessed that your resting heart rate (RHR) was 60. So if you take the difference from 184.5-60=124.5

Now, fat burning zones is usually 50 to 60% of your MHR, In this range you are developing your basic endurance and aerobic capacity. This zone is great for burning fat compared to the effort you put in. Other zones will also burn up your fat but you will have to work harder to burn up the same amount.

RHR + (HRR * 50%)= 122.25 Low End of Zone 1

RHR + (HRR * 60%)= 134.7 High End of Zone 1

Aerobic Zones are usually 60% to 70% of your MHR, therefore This zone is great for your cardiovascular system. This helps your muscles become stronger and more efficient and you develop your bodies ability to transport oxygen to (and carbon dioxide away from) your muscles. You should be spending the majority of your training time in this zone.

RHR + (HRR * 60%)=134.7 Low End of Zone 2

RHR + (HRR * 70%)=147.15 High End of Zone 2

Steady State is usually 70% to 80% AKA Grey Zone Mixed fuel.

RHR + (HRR * 70%)=147.15 Low End of Zone 3

RHR + (HRR * 80%)=159.6 High End of Zone 3

Anaerobic Zone, Entering this zone is a sign that you have become serious about your sport. In this zone your body develops its ability to handle lactic acid. An anaerobic workout takes place when you are working so hard that your body cannot keep up with the production of fuel and oxygen and so you need to dip into your reserves. When you dip into your reserves you produce numerous waste products - principally lactic acid.

RHR + (HRR * 80%)=159.6 Low End of Zone 4

RHR + (HRR * 80%)=172.05 High End of Zone 4

Maximal HR is Over 90%

I'm not a coach, or a Doctor. But this is what I've used in the past. I actually had my zones calculated in a lab and was pretty dam close. So, try putting your correct RHR down and see what you come up with. 

Scott

2011-05-10 11:13 AM
in reply to: #3491479

User image

Expert

I'm shocked you didn't do Butterfly... I can see that benefit, but I fill those voids with weight training. lat pull downs, leg press, squat, hamstring curls, leg extensions, and seated row.  But... I do see where it might be useful

Scott

2011-05-10 11:32 AM
in reply to: #3491489

User image

Expert

shellback1998 - 2011-05-10 12:06 PM

I just did a simple calc, using your age of 41. Normally under 30,  you use 220-AGE to get a rough idea of your Maximum Hear Rate (MHR), but since you're slightly older you have to do a variation of that. So I use 190 - ((AGE-30)/2)=184.5 as your MHR, now to get your Hear Rate Reserve(HRR)I just guessed that your resting heart rate (RHR) was 60. So if you take the difference from 184.5-60=124.5

Now, fat burning zones is usually 50 to 60% of your MHR, In this range you are developing your basic endurance and aerobic capacity. This zone is great for burning fat compared to the effort you put in. Other zones will also burn up your fat but you will have to work harder to burn up the same amount.

RHR + (HRR * 50%)= 122.25 Low End of Zone 1

RHR + (HRR * 60%)= 134.7 High End of Zone 1

Aerobic Zones are usually 60% to 70% of your MHR, therefore This zone is great for your cardiovascular system. This helps your muscles become stronger and more efficient and you develop your bodies ability to transport oxygen to (and carbon dioxide away from) your muscles. You should be spending the majority of your training time in this zone.

RHR + (HRR * 60%)=134.7 Low End of Zone 2

RHR + (HRR * 70%)=147.15 High End of Zone 2

Steady State is usually 70% to 80% AKA Grey Zone Mixed fuel.

RHR + (HRR * 70%)=147.15 Low End of Zone 3

RHR + (HRR * 80%)=159.6 High End of Zone 3

Anaerobic Zone, Entering this zone is a sign that you have become serious about your sport. In this zone your body develops its ability to handle lactic acid. An anaerobic workout takes place when you are working so hard that your body cannot keep up with the production of fuel and oxygen and so you need to dip into your reserves. When you dip into your reserves you produce numerous waste products - principally lactic acid.

RHR + (HRR * 80%)=159.6 Low End of Zone 4

RHR + (HRR * 80%)=172.05 High End of Zone 4

Maximal HR is Over 90%

Awesome post. I'm going to redo my zones. I was using.

Z1 108-124

Z2 124-140

Z3 140-156

Z4 156 - 172

Z5 172+

So the zones you set up in your test are perfect for what I really should be using.

2011-05-10 11:36 AM
in reply to: #3491554

User image

Expert

I'm glad, that it helped!

Scott

2011-05-10 11:56 AM
in reply to: #3490881

User image

Master
Los Angeles, CA

Hi Scott!  My answers are below...

shellback1998 - 2011-05-10 4:11 AM

What's the distance of the Pacific Coast Triathlon? If you've been doing all three disciplines for 2 years why you waiting for September 11th?

It's a 900yard swim, 12mile bike, and 3.1mile run.  Due to family events and bowling tournaments happening during the summer months, September was the earliest I could sign up for. 

90% of my running I'm at or below my Aerobic Threshold AeT while training. Since you train with HR Do you know what those terms are?

Yes, I see that around 81%-90% max heart rate.  Am I correct?  So during your training you're at the low 80%s?  Do you use this pace during your shorter runs?  Based on my training schedule, there's shorter distance and longer distance per week.  I plan and have been training at 82% on shorter and around 74% on the long this week.  I'll save the 90% on race day! ^_^

Were you properly fitted on the bike? Is your saddle height correct? When you pedal, do you point your toes, or is it pretty flat? What is your cadence when you are usually biking? What kind of bike shoes are you wearing?

Yes, I was properly fitted.  I made some tweaks such as lowering the seat 1/2", tightening the pedal tension, and adjusted cleat settings to compensate for my slightly pigeon toed walk.  I pedal slightly pointed.  I haven't measured my cadence yet.  My shoes are Shimano R133Ls size 9.5 since my regular shoe size is 8.5-9.  Once I get results from those eSoles, I'll let you know. =)

I have a swimming partner in mind who wouldn't mind going with me for some OWS practice.  But I'll wait for my Xterra wetsuit to arrive first.  Thanks for the drills practice suggestion.  Since I have some pretty good experience swimming, do you think I should start with lesson one and work my way up? 

~Roland

2011-05-10 12:02 PM
in reply to: #3491608

User image

Expert

My responses are highlighted!

Scott

kloofyroland - 2011-05-10 12:56 PM

Hi Scott!  My answers are below...

shellback1998 - 2011-05-10 4:11 AM

What's the distance of the Pacific Coast Triathlon? If you've been doing all three disciplines for 2 years why you waiting for September 11th?

It's a 900yard swim, 12mile bike, and 3.1mile run.  Due to family events and bowling tournaments happening during the summer months, September was the earliest I could sign up for. 

90% of my running I'm at or below my Aerobic Threshold AeT while training. Since you train with HR Do you know what those terms are?

Yes, I see that around 81%-90% max heart rate.  Am I correct?  So during your training you're at the low 80%s?  Do you use this pace during your shorter runs?  Based on my training schedule, there's shorter distance and longer distance per week.  I plan and have been training at 82% on shorter and around 74% on the long this week.  I'll save the 90% on race day! ^_^

No, actually I'm training much loser than that. I'd say 90% of my training I am down at 60-70% of MHR

Were you properly fitted on the bike? Is your saddle height correct? When you pedal, do you point your toes, or is it pretty flat? What is your cadence when you are usually biking? What kind of bike shoes are you wearing?

Yes, I was properly fitted.  I made some tweaks such as lowering the seat 1/2", tightening the pedal tension, and adjusted cleat settings to compensate for my slightly pigeon toed walk.  I pedal slightly pointed.  I haven't measured my cadence yet.  My shoes are Shimano R133Ls size 9.5 since my regular shoe size is 8.5-9.  Once I get results from those eSoles, I'll let you know. =)

1/2" is pretty significant. You should not lower or raise more than a 1 mm, per 300 miles. That small of change would be adequate. However, I'm interested in seeing if the soles help. 

I have a swimming partner in mind who wouldn't mind going with me for some OWS practice.  But I'll wait for my Xterra wetsuit to arrive first.  Thanks for the drills practice suggestion.  Since I have some pretty good experience swimming, do you think I should start with lesson one and work my way up? 

It depends, do you have proper balance in the water? Are you streamlined?

~Roland

2011-05-10 12:06 PM
in reply to: #3490884

User image

Master
Los Angeles, CA
shellback1998 - 2011-05-10 4:15 AM

Did you just buy a HRM? You're earlier training had no numbers to compare against. 

Yes, I got it last Monday.  It's been working really nicely.  Seeing the results from yesterday's run at Z4 82% MHR I shaved off about 6 seconds off my prior Monday run at nearly the same MHR! 

I also used your negative splits running pace suggestion in a post which may have helped my performance.  Laughing

~Roland

2011-05-10 12:08 PM
in reply to: #3491641

User image

Expert

Negative splits is the way to go. I seen that... Great job... The tough  part, is at races that the adrenalin is kicking in, so you actually have to hold yourself back. But great job!

Scott

2011-05-10 12:26 PM
in reply to: #3491629

User image

Master
Los Angeles, CA
Hi Scott! Thank you for replying so quickly.

No, actually I'm training much loser than that. I'd say 90% of my training I am down at 60-70% of MHR

Should I bring myself to that range since I'm still in the base phase of my training on all of my runs? Should I do the same for the other disciplines as well? 

1/2" is pretty significant. You should not lower or raise more than a 1 mm, per 300 miles. That small of change would be adequate. However, I'm interested in seeing if the soles help. 

Okay, I'll raise it back to the original fitted position and test ride to see if I still get numbness.  Why per 300 miles? 

It depends, do you have proper balance in the water? Are you streamlined?

I'm not sure I do have proper balance in the water.  How can I tell if I am or not?  I do think I'm streamlined as I make every effort to make sure my body is long during each stroke.  For my height, I'm just in range of my recommended SPL.

~Roland

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Shellback1998 Group - FULL Rss Feed  

of 67