BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Destination MoP is FULL (of motivation!) Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 35

2011-04-30 8:25 PM
in reply to: #3473401

User image

Expert
Subject: RE: Destination MoP - OPEN
SportzVision - 2011-04-29 12:10 PM

Hi Stu and Hiedi,

I am still here alive and kicking....have my first race this weekend in Napa!  Can't wait, spending today getting ready and packing.  I attained one of my goals and survived Pre-cal!  Whew what a releif!

NAME:  Cynthia Olivo
STORY:
I started this crazy tri sport last year. At the end of the summer in 2009 my daughter while visiting us with our grandson convinced me to swim a lap in the pool at the Naval base here in Nevada.  I about died it was so hard.  At the same time I was watching those Ironman Championships replay all summer long.  So many amazing people doing this, I was in awe of their spirit.  By the beginning of fall it was Sister Madonna who was the one that really spoke to me.  Watching that Ironman, sitting on my bed eating potato chips, she moved me.  Throwing down my chips, I said, "Alright Sister Madonna! I'll do it!". 

I really did not know how to swim, I hated running...calling it running is a stretch, it really is a jog and I did not own a bike for the first 8 months of my training, I used the stationary bike at the base gym.  I did eventually buy a pair of running shoes, purchased my bike about  2 weeks before my first race and watched a lot of swimming videos.

And so it began this fun, hard but great adventure. I also work at the University of Nevada, Reno...been there about a year.  I took the job, which is about 70 miles from home, to help pay for my training gear.  Benefits?  I recently purchased a pair of Sedi bike shoes! Cons? High stress job and I am away from home for twelve hours a day!  Still working out the kinks on training and timing.  I also took two courses at UNR and only have one final to complete and that will add more time for training.  Looking forward to better weather, this week is our spring, three days of low 70s and the fourt we'll be in the 80's.  This So Cal girl likes one season all year!

AMILY STATUS: Married 26 years, hitting 27 this July!  He is amazingly supportive.  Chris gets the training and desire, he was a competive bodybuilder in his 20s.  We have three daughters, one married with a son (my g-son is a punk and a half but the love I have for that kid is overwhelming).  Two  daughters that rebounded from college and are back at home... they are fun and great but they need to get out of my house.  Actually this summer they will be going to Florida, one to go to school and play basketball the other for moral support. Woo hoo!

TRI EXPERIENCE (if any): I have competed in two triathlons and one century ride.  All were amazing and very positive experiences.  I did our local tri, which was my first, The Dust Devil, and I even podiumed for our age group! I got third...okay well there were only three of us in there but whatever!  Then I did the IronGirl in Tahoe!  That was a beautiful race!  Then the night before the century ride, here in Fallon, I decided to do the ride.  At the time I had never ridden over 25 miles.  Mister supportive, my husband, told me to just do it and when I can't peddal anymore just call home and someone will come get me...he knew all along I would finish the race!

CURRENT TRAINING:
I recently up'd my training for an Olympic distance.  Maybe did a bit too much and the first two weeks were great, hard but good, and then I got sick...I think I have an infection, Dr. thinks I was working too hard...I have no medical degree but we'll see!  Long answer short..still adjusting my training for my Olympic distance in June.

PLANNED RACES FOR 2011: Napa Tri, Dust Devil, Iron Girl, San Francisco Olympic,(that is my A race this year) and then I can't remember what else.

WEIGHT LOSS GOALS (if any): I would like to lose 15 to 20 well actually, I have loss 5 so 15.  I am told I look really athletic and I would like to be as athletic as I look.

WHAT DO YOU HOPE THE MENTOR GROUP WILL PROVIDE FOR YOU and WHAT WILL YOU BRING TO THE GROUP:
This group is great!  During the last season I feel I made some great friends and had a place to go to hear about others and their ups and downs....my kids do get tired of hearing about my training.  And Mr. Supportive would love to hear about it and discuss nutrition but our schedules are oppisite and we really don't see eachother enough to discuss nutrition all the time.

Happy racing everyone!

Hello Cynthia! How a re the new Sidi's working out for you? And, tell us all about your race this weekend!

-Heidi

2011-04-30 8:37 PM
in reply to: #3473486

User image

Expert
jlmongold - 2011-04-29 12:43 PM

This is a recovery week for me, so I've had shorter workouts and today I tried to combine a swim & bike (on the spinner at the gym) for the 1st time. The pool at the gym is a weird length (22.5 yds, so you may notice that my distances are usually multiples of 45 - it's not a miscalculation).

As I suspected, I definitely need some different clothing because it took me a solid 3 minutes (and multiple attempts) to get the sports bra over my head & pulled down over my partially dried off self/swimsuit.  I was just glad I was alone in the pool area & the teenage lifeguard wasn't paying any attention to me since I'm sure I looked ridiculous (I felt it).  Given how long it took to get the extra stuff on after partially drying off, I had to cut my bike super short so I could still make my 9am appointment. 

However, my training week starts on Saturday, so I'm supposed to do my "long" bike tomorrow anyway and I'm hoping to do it on my real bike - and maybe even on a road. Surprised

Jennifer- The visual of this made me laugh- it sounds like something I'd do! For training sessions, consider taking the time to make a full change in the locker room. It will cut down on chafing and discomfort. Another option is to wear your sports bra under  your bathing suit. 

Figuring out what to wear for your first tri, is anxiety provoking for almost every woman I've ever talked with. And, we all have different solutions, based on size and comfort level.

2011-04-30 8:40 PM
in reply to: #3473778

User image

Expert
hoffsquared - 2011-04-29 3:03 PM

NAME: Melanie

STORY:
  Just turned 50 this month.  Started running in 2002.  Signed up for my first marathon in 2004 because I WAS NOT going to go up a size in my jeans.  I've completed seven marathons since then.  I like trail running and have completed a 50-miler and two 50Ks.  In 2009 I started commuting to work by bicycle.  Signing up for a triathlon seemed a no-brainer.  Last summer I completed my first Olympic distance.  I'm hooked.  I like the variety, the challenge, being outdoors, and all the health benefits the training brings.  This year I've signed up for two Olympics, one sprint, and an assortment of running races.  

FAMILY STATUS:  
Married, 2 daughters (20 and 15)

TRI EXPERIENCE (if any):
 One Olympic triathlon

CURRENT TRAINING:
 Pretty much every day I get something related to triathlon in.  Commuting 5 days/week by bicycle, swim twice a week,  and run 3 times a week.  Really trying to incorporate more stretching and yoga into routine.

PLANNED RACES FOR 2011: 2 Olympic and 1 Sprint, 1 marathon, 1 10K, and a few trail 5 or 10 milers.  Already completed a 50K trail race this year (really hard race for me this time).

WEIGHT LOSS GOALS (if any): Maybe lose 2-3 pounds.

WHAT DO YOU HOPE THE MENTOR GROUP WILL PROVIDE FOR YOU and WHAT WILL YOU BRING TO THE GROUP:  I hope the group can provide some motivation when I'm struggling with keeping things going.  I'm hoping there are some other 'mature' athletes who can provide advice.  I can provide some advice on becoming a better runner.  I've actually become faster over the past two years and am setting PRs.  Maybe I can motivate someone too!

Thanks,

Melanie

Hello Melanie- I'm impressed that you are setting running PR's! way to go. What shoes do your wear for trail running?

Welcome to MOP.

-Heidi

2011-04-30 8:42 PM
in reply to: #3473828

User image

Expert
jlmongold - 2011-04-29 3:25 PM
rustymom - 2011-04-29 3:07 PM

Have you considered wearing your sports bra under your swimsuit?  I might try that.  I bought a more supportive suit (shock absorber swimsuit).  I suspect I'll have problems with this as well.  I need to try out my suit.

I did that once when I was going from swimming to running & it just wasn't comfortable for me - and I think I'll still have the issues with getting some sort of bottoms on since there's no way to bike or run at this weight without some sort of barrier between my thighs!  My plan is to find some tri shorts (difficult at this weight/size, but doable if I search hard enough) & wear those with a top/bra combo I already have (not a tri top, but similar & comfortable - at least, I think/hope it will be) - and just throw on a shirt after the swim.  So once I find the shorts, I'll try it out & see if I can make that work for me.  I only have 8 weeks til my 1st tri, so I need to get (s)hopping!

Sorry Jen- I didn't see this until after I posted my suggestions

2011-04-30 8:53 PM
in reply to: #3442771

User image

Expert
Subject: RE: Destination MoP is FULL (of motivation!)

OK-Now that I'm all caught up (I think), what does everyone have planned for tomorrow?

We have our first truly beautiful weekend of the year, and my hands are tied for training  My husband is out of town- so I'm being a single mom for the weekend. I did manage to get a short run in today, with my kids on their bikes. But Jack (4 YO) is still recovering from a sprained ankle, so it was short and not very fast.

2011-04-30 8:59 PM
in reply to: #3474519

User image

Expert
hoffsquared - 2011-04-30 6:30 AM

So it's pretty early (6:20am).  I'm waiting for the paper to arrive.

I had to make sure my highschooler got off to her regatta today.  We were both up at 5:00am.  There's been a complete change in the race schedule since they posted it at noon yesterday.  I'm not sure if I'm going to be able to make her race.  Race location is not optimal for changes in plans.  She's a coxswain.  

I plan on getting in a 30 mile training ride today.  In fact one of my goals is to actually do training rides.  My only training for my race last year was commuting to work.  My round-trip commute is either 15 or 18 miles depending on whether I get dropped off at the trailhead.  This year needs to be different.  So weekend rides are a must.

This week I also started my weekday runs in my new Merrell Pace Glove shoes.  They are minimalist barefoot type.  So far so good.  No calf or other soreness.  I've had PF issues in the past and one knee is starting to bother me so strengthening my feet and other supporting muscles is important I think.  I will stick with my regular shoes for my longer weekend runs.

How do you like the Merrell's? I switched to five fingers a couple of months ago, and love them. Last week, I ran 3 miles an my Asics, and I was really hurting afterwards.

I'm interested to know if you're able to go back and forth between the 2 different shoes. Let me know how it works for you.

2011-04-30 8:59 PM
in reply to: #3474519

User image

Expert
hoffsquared - 2011-04-30 6:30 AM

So it's pretty early (6:20am).  I'm waiting for the paper to arrive.

I had to make sure my highschooler got off to her regatta today.  We were both up at 5:00am.  There's been a complete change in the race schedule since they posted it at noon yesterday.  I'm not sure if I'm going to be able to make her race.  Race location is not optimal for changes in plans.  She's a coxswain.  

I plan on getting in a 30 mile training ride today.  In fact one of my goals is to actually do training rides.  My only training for my race last year was commuting to work.  My round-trip commute is either 15 or 18 miles depending on whether I get dropped off at the trailhead.  This year needs to be different.  So weekend rides are a must.

This week I also started my weekday runs in my new Merrell Pace Glove shoes.  They are minimalist barefoot type.  So far so good.  No calf or other soreness.  I've had PF issues in the past and one knee is starting to bother me so strengthening my feet and other supporting muscles is important I think.  I will stick with my regular shoes for my longer weekend runs.

How do you like the Merrell's? I switched to five fingers a couple of months ago, and love them. Last week, I ran 3 miles an my Asics, and I was really hurting afterwards.

I'm interested to know if you're able to go back and forth between the 2 different shoes. Let me know how it works for you.

2011-04-30 9:21 PM
in reply to: #3475283

slow turtle - 2011-04-30 7:14 PM
Fast40 - 2011-04-28 11:04 PM

Welcome to MOP Matt! When is the Bear Lake Sprint?

I think it's great that your kids are motivating you to try running and tri's. I love how families feed off of each other. Once the positive energy gets started by one family member, it becomes contagious for others.

-Heidi

The Bear Lake Sprint is August 27th. 

2011-05-01 4:43 AM

User image

Expert
Charlottesville, Virginia

Off to the races!  I'll post a race report later today.  Hope everyone has a great day and good luck to Cynthia and Andrea in their races!

Start thinking about goals for the month of May... more on that later!

Stu

2011-05-01 7:40 AM

User image

Expert
Falls Church

After my morning grocery run, I plan on getting in anywhere between a 6-10 mile run.  We'll see how tired the legs are.  I'll just make sure I'm always pretty close to home.

So far I like the Merrell Pace Gloves but will use my Brooks Adrenaline for today's run.  Not sure if I'm ready for more than 5 miles 'barefoot' style.  We'll see how transitioning back and forth goes.  But I am already thinking that the Merrell's will be my race shoe.  They are very light and my legs seem to sense more of what is going on.

For trail running, I've been running in Brooks Cascadia's.  I'm thinking of switching to the Merrell trail equivalent to the Pace.  My Brooks left me with a black toenail and some blisters after my 50K in March.  I won't be doing any trail races until late fall so I've go some time to ponder this.  

2011-05-01 9:10 AM
in reply to: #3475263

User image

Maine
slow turtle - 2011-04-30 9:03 PM
perilousleigh - 2011-04-27 9:25 PM

Welcome Erin. I've been really interested in the P90X. Did you get bored with it at all? 

Thanks!  I'm really excited about this group, I think we've got a great mix of people!

P90X was great, it really truly works if you follow it (workout AND diet plan Undecided).  My husband and I committed to do it together and kept each other in line.  I didn't quite get bored because you're at least doing a drastically different workout every day but you do get to where you've pretty much memorized each video and there are some workouts I would dread doing more than others.  It really was extreme though, my body was incredibly sore every day for the full 90 days and I was exhausted all the time.  I was definitely looking forward to being done with it by the end.  Keep in mind though that we practically did couch to P90X, we weren't doing much rigorous physical activity before starting (which they highly recommend against oops! Wink).  So someone who has been dedicated to a training program already it shouldn't be as much of a butt kicking but probably still really challenging.

What's great though is that I got the weight off, I changed my eating habits and lifestyle, and now I have a really good library of workouts that I can pepper into my exercise routine as I wish (just not 7 days a week for 90 days Wink ).  So I highly recommend it.  Since my husband and I did it bit by bit many other of our friends and their friends have done because the word keeps spreading that it works.

2011-05-01 9:26 AM
in reply to: #3475360

User image

Maine

Well I had a really productive day yesterday (it was a beautiful day here and we haven't had too many yet either).  I had a short run and then I went to the pool.  It was just my second swim so far this year and while there I got some suggestions and tips from one of the lifeguards that also works as an instructor (free expert advice! Wink).  I've been a comfortable swimmer my whole life but have never swam competitively and I'm amazed by how much more there is to form and stroke that I never knew.  It's fairly challenging stuff and is going to take some practice.  I'm now taking the swim much more seriously (and after Stu's remarks) than I was originally and plan to try to fit in much more swim time as a result.  And my body is a good bit sore to further reinforce how hard of a workout it is!

Today is my long bike day.  It's another beautiful day out today so I should go out for my ride but I just last week got a new bike trainer (early birthday present from my hubby Laughing.  I never would've thought I'd get to a point in my life where I'd be so happy to get exercise equipment for my birthday!) and I'm still excited to use it more.  So I'll have to make a decision soon and get my butt moving for the day.

-Erin

2011-05-01 11:56 AM

Erin,

I completed my first full week of training yesterday and was thinking the same thing about the swim.  I've enjoyed recreational swimming at the lake since high school, but now realize that I need to learn how to breath.  How many days per week are you going to swim?

Matt

2011-05-01 1:11 PM

User image

Veteran

I'm back from my 5K.  I'm sad to say that I did not run the whole thing.  I probably walked about .1 miles.  It was an out and back course and there was no shade.  The last 5K I ran was 40 degrees.  This one was mid 60s.  I could have used a few clouds. 

First mile was high 11 min pace.  Approaching the turn around there was a hill.  I ran the whole thing but walked for a few steps after to lower my heartrate.  Walked a few steps at water stop.  Hit mile 2 marker at 25min and some seconds.  That was not too bad (for me).  Unfortunately I started doing math in my head I thought that 1.1 miles might take about 15mins and that I wouldn't do a personal best.  Then I started to really feel the heat.  I took 2-3 more walk breaks using trees and phone poles to tell me when to get moving again.  I finished in 40 mins and some seconds, so I might have gotten a personal best (39:52, I think) I I just didn't walk.  Very frustrating...

Anyway, so now I know that I need to acclimate to the weather and do some hills.  Both were/are in the plans for upcoming weeks, so I'll keep working at it.  I just signed up for another one 5/22.  I drove the course on my way home and there should be some shade and there are 3 hills!!!

Off to shower then do some gardening.  I also plan to get my bike rack on my car so I can take my bike to work for lunch time rides starting tomorrow.

~Andrea

Edited by rustymom 2011-05-01 1:14 PM
2011-05-01 2:27 PM

User image

Expert
Falls Church

I just returned from my training run.  Went pretty well.  Cloudy out.  Good pace.  

Now it's time to help daughter bake cupcakes from scratch.

2011-05-01 2:30 PM
in reply to: #3475948

User image

Expert
Falls Church
The heat can be a bummer when you are used to it!  Been there.  You should be used to the weather by 5/22.  Keep at it!

2011-05-01 2:44 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
England
rustymom - 2011-05-01 7:11 PM

I'm back from my 5K.  I'm sad to say that I did not run the whole thing.  I probably walked about .1 miles.  It was an out and back course and there was no shade.  The last 5K I ran was 40 degrees.  This one was mid 60s.  I could have used a few clouds. 

First mile was high 11 min pace.  Approaching the turn around there was a hill.  I ran the whole thing but walked for a few steps after to lower my heartrate.  Walked a few steps at water stop.  Hit mile 2 marker at 25min and some seconds.  That was not too bad (for me).  Unfortunately I started doing math in my head I thought that 1.1 miles might take about 15mins and that I wouldn't do a personal best.  Then I started to really feel the heat.  I took 2-3 more walk breaks using trees and phone poles to tell me when to get moving again.  I finished in 40 mins and some seconds, so I might have gotten a personal best (39:52, I think) I I just didn't walk.  Very frustrating...

Anyway, so now I know that I need to acclimate to the weather and do some hills.  Both were/are in the plans for upcoming weeks, so I'll keep working at it.  I just signed up for another one 5/22.  I drove the course on my way home and there should be some shade and there are 3 hills!!!

Off to shower then do some gardening.  I also plan to get my bike rack on my car so I can take my bike to work for lunch time rides starting tomorrow.

~Andrea

Andrea,

It sounds like you did great.  Don't beat yourself up about not getting a PB.  You were dealing with new conditions and you kept yourself moving by allowing yourself some recovery time.  Sounds like a very sound strategy to me.  Improvements will come over time, but don't expect them EVERY time!

2011-05-01 2:48 PM
in reply to: #3472806

User image

Extreme Veteran
England
juneapple - 2011-04-29 12:48 PM

Christine and Rach were asking about HIM nutrition.

Here's a link to an article by Matt Fitzgerald which I think is a good place to start - primarily because he is advocating a very simple approach. I think it is a good place to start before getting all excited about the various products out there.

HIM Nutrition

The most important advice (which I think Rach mentioned as well) is to train with what you race with so there are no surprises on race day.  Surprises on race day due to nutrition are generally not good surprises if you get my drift ;-)

Also good to check with the race director with what they'll provide on the course.  Nice to know if that will work for you as well.  In my HIM we had Heed bottles on the bike (two stops)... would have been helpful for me to have tried that out in advance.  As it was, I found out on the bike that I wasn't a particular fan of Heed :-)

Stu

P.S. Fitzgerald's book on "Racing Lean" is a pretty good general nutrition book for training.  As I do with most books, I borrowed some general ideas, but didn't follow it :-)

Thanks for the link Stu.  It's very sound advice.  Unfortunately the event that I'm doing doesn't have any drink stations on the bike, and only has limited water on the run.  That's why I'm making plans for energy gels and also carrying as much fluid as I can on the bike.

2011-05-01 3:05 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
England

Today I did my long bike.  I wasn't actually meant to do it this week till Thursday, but my husband had arranged to go out with a bunch of friends after I'd finished work, so I thought it would be fun to go out with them.  It was a good plan as we did some good hills.

I had a night at work two weeks ago when I was sitting watching someone sleep for the entire night (making sure someone in custody with a head injury didn't die on us), and after 5 hours found I'd read the entire triathlon magazine I'd brought along, so landed up putting together a complete training plan until october.  It takes into account what events I have when, what shifts I'm on, how far my long runs need to be etc.  This is my first week of actually trying to follow the plan, so we'll have to see how it goes.  But I guess what today has told me is that I still have to be flexible.  It wasn't a huge change, it just means I'll be doing my trainer session on Thursday when I was intending to do the long bike.

A question for people who've done the longer events before:  how far did you go for your long bikes before the event?  I've got a good idea of where I'm aiming with my runs, but I don't really know what to be building up to on the bike.  Any insights would be very welcome.

Looking forward to race reports...

2011-05-01 7:06 PM

User image

Expert

Andrea - nice job today.  That you were right at your PB on a more challenging course and under more difficult decisions is definitely another step forward.  Sounds like you're on track for your training going forward and you'll have another crack at it in 3 weeks.  Have fun biking at lunch.  I really enjoy a mid-day exercise break - hope you will too!

Stu

2011-05-01 7:18 PM

User image

Expert

Race went really well today for me.  Good to be back out there... 7 months since the last tri, so it was fun just being part of it.  My primary goal was not to have any back issues, and thankfully it held up well... phew!  My overall time was 1.24+ which was just under my goal time of 1.25 and 3 minutes faster than last year.  Apparently it was a fast day for the course, or the field was stronger as most winning times seemed to be better than last year.  I have to wait for my splits as I screwed up my Garmin timing, but as soon as I have those I'll put together a full race report and provide a link.  I think my big improvement was on the run, but I'll have to wait and see to be sure.  Overall though, I couldn't be happier, especially given my training challenges this past month.

Angel's Race

btw, last year's race report was very helpful for me to review as it reminded me of a couple of issues on the bike course that I would have forgotten otherwise (like how to avoid the cobblestones).

Stu

Edited by juneapple 2011-05-02 1:40 PM

2011-05-01 7:24 PM
in reply to: #3476041

User image

Expert
chapfallen - 2011-05-01 3:48 PM

Thanks for the link Stu.  It's very sound advice.  Unfortunately the event that I'm doing doesn't have any drink stations on the bike, and only has limited water on the run.  That's why I'm making plans for energy gels and also carrying as much fluid as I can on the bike.

Yep, you might look into a 3rd water bottle holder if you don't already have one.  I went through 4 bottles of water on my bike/HIM and was quite thirsty when I finished.  It was pretty hot that day though (and don't forget the sun tan lotion).  I generally keep a bottle in my set-up area as well.

Stu

2011-05-01 7:42 PM
in reply to: #3476065

User image

Expert
chapfallen - 2011-05-01 4:05 PM

A question for people who've done the longer events before:  how far did you go for your long bikes before the event?  I've got a good idea of where I'm aiming with my runs, but I don't really know what to be building up to on the bike.  Any insights would be very welcome.

I had worked up to 46 mile rides on the weekends and it wasn't enough, or I hadn't done enough hard training over the winter.  I think had I been consistently doing hard 30-35 mi rides as a base and then did a few long ones (50+), that would have been sufficient.  I did get through the ride alright, but had nothing left for the run.  Got alot of feedback from people when I told them my riding distance that I hadn't done enough... but truth be told, I just didn't have enough time to fit it all in and I kind of jumped into the HIM last minute, so the majority of my training had been more for OLY distance, rather than HIM.  My goal was to finish, and I did. It wasn't pretty though.  It was also a tough day with 20mph winds (including a tree falling down across the road).  So there were alot of factors.

The other strategic error I made was that I spent too much time standing (mashing) on the bike rather than spinning and balancing pulling and pushing in my pedal stroke.  I think this also contributed to my legs (and back) being shot when I got off the bike.  I learned alot doing the race, and I think you always do with your first race at a new distance.

Tom, any thoughts for Rach?

Stu

2011-05-02 5:50 AM

User image

Expert

Goals!

I'd like to suggest to the group that we all create monthly goals for ourselves.  I can see from your logs that some of you are already very goal oriented.  Goals generally give us motivation and guidance for what we hope to achieve long-term.  Personally, I like to have some long term (meaning 1-2 year) goals or objectives... (e.g. what are my overarching objectives to give me a sense of purpose and direction), and some monthly goals (e.g. what are the concrete steps I'm going to take this month that give me a better chance of achieving those long term goals).  Then, each week I'll review how I did on my monthly goals in my logs and actually write it down.  I find the process of communicating (granted mainly to myself) in this way helps keep me accountable.

A couple of tips on setting monthly goals:

Generally it is good to make goals positive statements (e.g. I will do this as opposed to don't do that).  For example, "don't eat late night snacks" might be better as "if I'm hungry at night, I'll eat fresh fruit".  Also, for things like weight loss goals, we know that weight loss generally means more calories used than calories calories consumed.  So, if you use weight loss goals, make sure in your mind (or even in your logs!) that you translate that into actions.  I often find myself too scale focused (result oriented) instead of action focused (eating and exercising better).  Better to focus on actions that are within your control than on the results.  Results come from good actions :-

For those new to Triathlons or exercising, I think goal #1 is just getting into a good rhythm - finding what works for you and building on it.  Something that feels sustainable for you.  Things like choosing a plan, deciding when and where to do your workouts, etc.  Basically making your workouts part of your everyday life :-)

So, after I have coffee, I'll write a post about how my goals last month worked out and what my goals are for May.  If you're a January MoPer, perhaps you could join me with the goal review/goal setting.  If you're new to MoP, enjoy reading and then think about what goals you'd like to set for May and share those with the rest of the group.  [For those in our Jan group, I posted a summary of the goals, but I think for the summer group, I'd rather focus on our own communication to the group].

This also seems like a good time to mention two things:  One, please use the training logs here in BT.  Personally, I love seeing the graphs build as the week goes on and letting it add up my year-to-date totals, but the main reason is so that we can track each other's progress and learn from each other's experiences.  Also, on the same page, farther down on the left, is an area called friends.  When you have the chance, please add the folks from this group to your friends list.  That way, if you have the privacy settings on, we can still view your logs and send inspires and all that good stuff!  For those that use the training logs, I will definitely stop by your logs once/week and offer congrats and/or suggestions.  I'd love it if you'd do the same for me!  We're in this together!

Stu

2011-05-02 6:57 AM

User image

Expert

Wow... they found Bin Laden... in a mansion in Pakistan no less. 

Stu's April Results / May Goals

So, April (actually starting end of March) was an epic fail in reaching my goals.  It was supposed to be a month of intense (for me) training for the HIM, and instead I spent most of it nursing my back.  Mid month I was really quite down about it, especially after deciding to bag May's HIM and going back up to 200lbs (being down a bit and eating tend to go together for me).  Aiming for the HIM gave me alot of motivation for training over the winter, and I am thankful for that, and though I think I could probably finish it again this year, it would have likely been the same result as last year and that wasn't my purpose in doing it.  I might think about one in Sept if training goes well over the summer.  Anyway, about mid-month, I realized that I had become a bit too focused on the racing and the weight and not enough about the process.  My reason for doing triathlons originally was to be more healthy.  And ultimately, doing or not doing an HIM has very little to do with my health.  My health is driven by consistent workouts and better eating.  So, I had to decide if not being able to run or bike or doing an HIM was going to be an excuse for not working out or eating right.  And, for a couple of weeks, it was.  But somewhere in the 2nd week of April, I reoriented a bit and decided if I could only swim, then I would swim and that was great.  Focus on what I could do, rather than what I couldn't.  Took me long enough... but then, I'm an obstinate kind of guy ;-)

So May goals are a bit more basic for me.  Work on my flexibility, core, back and knee.  Those are basic building blocks for me to be able to do the tri training.  I can't be lax there.  I'd like to get back to 30 hours of training overall in May - so about 7hrs / week or 1hr/day.  Get back to more healthy eating.  April wasn't very good there.  More fruit and veggies.  Whole Foods salad bar for lunch :-)  Also need to find a good biking route.  I realize one of the reasons I'm not biking outside is I'm just tired of the dog attacks.  But I need to find a good 2 hour weekend route - I'm missing the long bike as part of my workouts.  Last goal is to help others enjoy the tri lifestyle and that starts with this group.  So, I'm dedicated to try to assist you all to achieving your goals! 

Okay, there's my intro for what I'm hoping we all can share each month.  And as we progress during the month, if you feel great about a particular workout or result, share it with us!  If you're struggling with something, share it with us... someone in here probably has struggled with it as well and may have a suggestion, or at least you'll know you weren't alone :-)

Hope everyone has a great day.  So, what are YOUR goals for May?

Stu

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Destination MoP is FULL (of motivation!) Rss Feed  

of 35