50F / 10C
Overcast
Total Time = 1h 24m 34s
Overall Rank = 72/187
Age Group = 50-55
Age Group Rank = 5/15
Pre-race routine:

Saturday thoughts:

Last year this was a real breakthrough race for me. I was in the top half of finishers, my bike was strong, and my run was acceptable. It is still my highest VTS/USAT score for a race. That's what training for a HIM will do for you. This year is different circumstances. While my Jan-Mar was better overall training, I lost a good 2-3 weeks in April to back problems which still aren't 100%. So my big goal (hope really) is that my back doesn't give me trouble either during or after the race. I'm just now starting to get back into the training groove.

That being said, I still think I could do well in this race and last year I was only 2 minutes out of a podium finish (for either MC or 50-55), way closer than any other race (not quite as strong a field for some reason). So where to find 2 minutes. I think I'll be doing well to be the same time for the swim and transitions (I'm adding a change of shoes to the routine and am not swimming quite as fast, but my T1 time was really bad). So the 2 min has to come on the bike and/or run. Both were pretty decent for me last year, but I've got cleats for the bike and my 10 miler time was 5 min faster than last year. And, looking at last year's race report, I ran 8 miles the day before, so maybe that negatively impacted my time. Looks to me like I'll need to save over a minute on each of those legs and hope I can keep the rest the same. Goal time = 1:25.
Event warmup:

Sunday Morning:
Woke up at 3:30 on my own (again), but mercifully was able to get back to sleep until the alarm went off at 4:40. Spent 5 min more in bed with the heating pad and then made coffee and had cereal and ibuprofen for breakfast. Out the door at 5:40. Realized I needed gas... I knew I had forgotten something. Fortunately there is one 24 hour place not too far out of the way. Got to Lynchburg at 6:35 or so and was lucky to find a good parking spot in the supplemental YMCA lot (remember for next year - drive by the YMCA and then take a right). Registered, etc. Found my spot on the bike racks... awful location at the end of a row and for the last two bike racks they had gravel down with no mats. Nice for the feet. Ah well, extra motivation to move fast in T1. Ran a bit, but didn't take the time to bike and instead used that time to stretch a whole bunch. My swim start wasn't until 8:52, so had to kill some time. Hung out in the men's locker room which was neither cool like outside or hot like the pool. Plus, they had chairs... just chatted with another 50-55er.
Swim
  • 05m 36s
  • 328 yards
  • 01m 43s / 100 yards
Comments:

Pool swim. Warm water. One guy passed me and then there were two clear lanes behind me. Thankfully smooth pool swim with no jam ups. I took my time and even did two laps of backstroke to help stretch out my back. Swim was a non-event as planned. Didn't quite remember to really stretch out my stroke like practice this week. Oh well. Not tired at all.
What would you do differently?:

Nothing.
Transition 1
  • 02m 23s
Comments:

I just love all these options. Suit stuck on heels? What the heck is that all about. [Wetsuit, I know, but I got a chuckle out of it for a pool swim]. Anyway, other than the gravel on the feet, it went fine.

Just get faster.
Bike
  • 49m 11s
  • 15.53 miles
  • 18.95 mile/hr
Comments:

Pretty good ride overall. Was in aero for about 1/3 of the route. Geared it fairly well. Best thing was that *NO ONE* passed me on the bike. Granted, it was a pool swim which spaces everyone out, but that is a first (and likely an only). I probably passed 15 people or so on the route. I didn't quite do my Garmin correctly, so I'll have to wait on my time, but I think it was probably equivalent to last year or maybe a tad faster. But I didn't push quite as hard this year. Partially b/c I was worried about the back and partially b/c I hoped to be stronger on the run this year.

Need to practice aero position on more curvy rough roads, but with the need for changing gears a bunch in the outer part of the course, I'm not sure it would have mattered much. Mainly just need to get out on the bike a little more - at least a really good long weekend ride.
Transition 2
  • 01m 26s
Comments:

Yeah, yeah, yeah. I got off the bike, I changed shoes. I ran.
Run
  • 26m 1s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 08m 22s  min/mile
Comments:

This segment felt so much better than last year. My back behaved... was tight, but didn't affect running. Only two people passed me on the run... both really young ones who went whizzing by me. Otherwise, held my own well... even moved up some. Probably passed 8-10 people. This was really a strange feeling for me. Was averaging low 8s on most of the run. Can't recall being at that pace before. The hill at the end upped it some, of course, but overall, my best run in a tri ever by a solid margin. Very happy with this leg and it made my race.

I probably could have picked it up a bit more coming back, but I was worried about dying on the hill.
Post race
Warm down:

Stretched and hung out and chatted with folks. Met a really nice woman from Lynchburg (Mary White) who knew the Egglestons who used to be an anchor at NBC29 20 years ago. I knew she looked familiar... LOL. Remember to ask MD about her Mom and Mary's Dad - apparently a romance in their 80s ;-)

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Probably just not quite in as good a shape as I was a month ago and I could stand to lose another 10-15 lbs (was 200 this morning after breakfast), but overall very happy with my performance and my race strategy. This time, I felt more like a triathlete than a swimmer doing a triathlon.

I'll wait to see official time and my splits, but my overall time was about 3 minutes faster than last year and I came in under my goal time of 1:25. First time as an age-grouper and I felt competitive. Last year, my time would have put me on the podium for the AG. The field was stronger this year (and conditions were excellent).

Event comments:

As always, Angels Race is one of my favorites and I'll always plan on doing it. You race in memory of an "Angel" - this year I raced in memory of Pam and Connie, and in honor of Elizabeth, who I just found out was in the hospital with a mild heart attack. Get well soon, Eliz. Anyway, the town totally supports this race and the majority of people in the race say "good job", etc. when they cross your path on the bike and run. It is a really wonderful atmosphere. Thanks for another great race!

[Post getting the splits. My swim was slightly faster than last year and I was totally coasting. From here on out, no push on the swim. Did a little better in T1 than last year, but lost it on T2, so a push there. Improved about 1 min on bike, 2 on the run. Last year, I still was biking with cages, so my improvement there might have been all equipment. The run was the big improvement, but still by far my weakest. Now I'm up against the 150 lb lean guys... they can truck on the run. Guess I better get used to it - the difference between Master Clydesdale and Age Group.

2nd post race note. It was a much faster field. My VTS score actually dropped even though my time was 3 min faster - kind of a bummer. But last year's 1st, 2nd and 4th place finishers were 3rd, 6th, and 15th this year with roughly the same times. So that makes me feel MUCH better about my relative place and my VTS score (since that is based on the 5 fastest times). I thought perhaps the conditions made a bigger difference, but now I'm thinking that conditions were roughly equivalent, so my 3min improvement holds up. Anyway, the top of the field was really booking. Kind of feel bad for last year's 4th place finisher... he took a minute off his time and dropped 11 places. Yep, a much stronger field. I wonder if that is to be expected in all the races this year.]

Last updated: 2011-04-29 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:05:36 | 328 yards | 01m 43s / 100yards
Age Group: 3/15
Overall: 60/187
Performance: Average
Suit: Yes :-)
Course:
Start type: Plus:
Water temp: 82F / 28C Current: Low
200M Perf. Remainder:
Breathing: Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 02:23
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
00:49:11 | 15.53 miles | 18.95 mile/hr
Age Group: 3/15
Overall: 56/187
Performance: Good
Wind: Little
Course: Steep hill (down) out of town then a nice road along the river. Pretty smooth road until the train tracks. After that I didn't quite feel comfortable in aero position after that. Watch the cobblestone in town. Steep hill coming back into town is a killer, but it didn't seem as bad this year.
Road:   Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks:
T2
Time: 01:26
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:26:01 | 03.11 miles | 08m 22s  min/mile
Age Group: 6/15
Overall: 109/187
Performance: Good
Course: VERY steep hill (down) out of town (and steep coming back). Nice fairly flat run along the train tracks (and through tunnel). Slight uphill going out, slight downhill coming back (until you turn and go back to town).
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes