BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Jford2309/Kido Mentoring Group-Closed Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 13

2012-01-12 10:08 AM
in reply to: #3943811

User image

Pro
Bartlett, TN
Subject: RE: Jford2309/Kido Mentoring Group-Closed

This is a very quiet group!

What is on everyone schedule today?

1600 swim, with a bike afterwards for me!

2012-01-12 10:13 AM
in reply to: #3986068

User image

Veteran

4-5 mile run on the dreadmill during my lunch break and biking for 2 hours on the trainer later this evening. 

2012-01-12 10:15 AM

User image

Master
Midcoast Maine

I ran this morning before the call from the school came - SNOW DAY!

I'm supposed to do a swim tonight, but there is a high probability that the Y will close later in the day as the snow really starts to come down. (which actually works out okay for me - the thought of getting into the pool while already cold from outside is really challenging).

Right now I've got a swim three days a week but am finding that I'm only fitting in about two swims (due to scheduling conflicts, weather, etc)...it is MUCH easier for me to swim when I'm able to swim outside. How about you all? How many days a week are you swimming?

2012-01-12 10:50 AM

User image

Regular
Vancouver
Usually try and get in 3 swims a week because its my favourite work out but lately I have been focusing on the run (walk) since funds have been a tight for the rec centre fee. Going to the track again today for another 5km and will be attempting to get a bit of jogging in the mix - scary!
2012-01-12 10:58 AM

User image

I had hoped to do a longish run tonight but my knee started doing the weirdest thing during my run yesterday so I will probably swim instead. I have the sensation of something sliding and getting 'caught' and then slipping past the catch on the back inner side of my one knee. It seems to occur on extension. No pain - just a really weird feeling, enough to make me stop mid-run yesterday. I must have been over striding or something. I will give it some rest and focus on the swim for a few days.
2012-01-12 2:57 PM

User image

Pro
Bartlett, TN

I am swimming three times a week in a pool, Around April or so I will start jumping in the lake!

I am roughly doing 4500-5000 yards a week.

2012-01-12 3:28 PM

User image

Veteran

Currently I swim twice a week about 2500 per w/o.  Mostly interval stuff. 

Question.  So currently I have a trek with granny gears up front (I dont know what the gear number are, but its all standard equipment).  I do have several hills in my area that I used the granny gear (last year I was able to go up those hillsw/o going to granny on couple training rides), other than that I never use it.  Someone in my tri club told I should change to a compact as I would be faster and still be able to climb hill.  Do anyone knew when your ready to move to a compact.  Or is there a formulas I can use to determine that or should I stick with it until I can climb those hill confidently w/o going down to granny gear?

2012-01-12 5:26 PM

User image

Peekskill, NY
I wish I had a plan for today. Worked an overnight yesturday and going in again tomorrow for a 24. Oh well, gotta work sometime. I'm pretty fortunate with my schedule. I have a lot of flexability in which to train, but sometimes it can be tough! right now I'm not following any plan and just maintaining what I built last season. After rehabing my calf from October, I'm just starting to build back up my mileage. Although I have no problem running in the cold, I have not gotten into biking above 45 degrees yet, so spinning at the gym when I get a seat. Swimming as often as I can. I felt that was my weak spot, and have steadily progressed that sport to become a strong point.

Here's a random inquiry to the group - what is everyone's strongest to least strongest events.

Strongest - Swimming (because I've pushed it to be)

Next strongest - Running (so long as I dont break down)

Least strongest - Biking (need to make that my priority this year)

Edited by Jambago 2012-01-12 5:27 PM
2012-01-12 6:32 PM
in reply to: #3987221

User image

Expert
Palm Bay

Jambago - 2012-01-12 6:26 PM I wish I had a plan for today. Worked an overnight yesturday and going in again tomorrow for a 24. Oh well, gotta work sometime. I'm pretty fortunate with my schedule. I have a lot of flexability in which to train, but sometimes it can be tough! right now I'm not following any plan and just maintaining what I built last season. After rehabing my calf from October, I'm just starting to build back up my mileage. Although I have no problem running in the cold, I have not gotten into biking above 45 degrees yet, so spinning at the gym when I get a seat. Swimming as often as I can. I felt that was my weak spot, and have steadily progressed that sport to become a strong point. Here's a random inquiry to the group - what is everyone's strongest to least strongest events. Strongest - Swimming (because I've pushed it to be) Next strongest - Running (so long as I dont break down) Least strongest - Biking (need to make that my priority this year)

Swim was best, but with shoulder surgery it is third

Run was second is not first

Bike was third, now distant second, almost tied with swim.  Need new bike to sustain over 14MPH.

2012-01-12 6:34 PM
in reply to: #3983803

User image

Expert
Palm Bay
jford2309 - 2012-01-11 10:48 AM

Question: When did or do you run? I run first thing in the morning and sometimes I know I do not fuel properly, so before I answered I would want to know hwat/when you ate and when you ran that day...

Mornings mostly, but was running with my daughter 1 night a week.

2012-01-13 6:46 AM

User image

Veteran
Taoyuan, Taiwan
I wish I had something planned. Last day of the semester at school means a LONG tiring day at school. Also, my wife is sick, so the kids are mine to watch for the weekend.

2012-01-13 9:06 AM

User image

Pro
Bartlett, TN

6.3 mile run planned for this afternoon!

For all of you that do not have a plan for your training, I highly recommend that you look through some of the plans on BT.com. They have great plans that can be run focused, swim or bike focused as well. Some incorporate weight traing and some are really intense. Either way, you should be able to find something that fits your needs and your time available to train!  Nothing beats having a good plan!

2012-01-13 9:58 AM
in reply to: #3982765

User image

Champion
the colony texas
itsallrelative_Maine - 2012-01-10 6:46 PM

So - I've got a question for the group:

I started on NYDay (how predictable, I know) on the Paleo for Athletes plan in an attempt to lose those last stubborn pounds and hopefully better fuel myself come race day. Last Sunday was my first long (for me - it was 6.5 miles - at a snails pace so it took awhile) run. The first 3.5 miles were fine, but then I just ran out of fuel. By the time I got back to the house, I could barely take my jacket off.

According to the plan - you limit your carbs (focusing on protein, fruits and veg, no dairy, no flour, no sugar) except when training - they recommend a Gu at the start and then one every 45 minutes or so. I took a Gu at the start and then didn't bring any with me because I didn't think I would be gone long enough to warrant another (oh, I was so, so wrong). I'm thinking I just didn't have enough carbs in my system to fuel the workout...which makes me think two things: 1) maybe I consistently don't have enough carbs in my system to fuel the workouts so I am just shooting myself in the foot and/or 2) I don't know how to get enough carbs prior to a longer effort following this plan.

Anyone have any experience with trying to lose weight while trying to train at a moderate level? Any suggestions/recommendations?

I think it depends more when you last have eaten.. If you are working out in the morning and your last meal was the night before "X" hours ago. then yes getting a few calories in will help.   They used to tell us before our 5 am swims that we needed 200 calories of something just to get us going.. not necessary for the actual working out part, but getting your body going.  It didn't matter where those calories came from.

My fastest marathons I've had were when I was doing the strict adkins plan, but back then it was more a reasonable size portion of protein and lots of veggies. Even then my carb intake was under 100g a day easily.  Fueling for a workouts was never a problem. {FWIW I didnt' start gaining weight until I started tri's and everyone was always worried about "fueling" for workouts etc."}     So for a 6 mile workout I really doubt that you are under fueled, unless you are just not eating during the day. Your body has enough fuel stored for a much longer workout than that. I think it would be other factors than that. .

2012-01-13 11:26 AM
in reply to: #3987221

User image

Champion
the colony texas

Jambago - 2012-01-12 5:26 PM I wish I had a plan for today. Worked an overnight yesturday and going in again tomorrow for a 24. Oh well, gotta work sometime. I'm pretty fortunate with my schedule. I have a lot of flexability in which to train, but sometimes it can be tough! right now I'm not following any plan and just maintaining what I built last season. After rehabing my calf from October, I'm just starting to build back up my mileage. Although I have no problem running in the cold, I have not gotten into biking above 45 degrees yet, so spinning at the gym when I get a seat. Swimming as often as I can. I felt that was my weak spot, and have steadily progressed that sport to become a strong point. Here's a random inquiry to the group - what is everyone's strongest to least strongest events. Strongest - Swimming (because I've pushed it to be) Next strongest - Running (so long as I dont break down) Least strongest - Biking (need to make that my priority this year)

strongest for me would be swimming..  only since it's easier for me to get in decent swim shape faster, and I'm somewhat quick by Tri standards.  Under 30 min for a HIM swim relay,

Then running, I'm not fast but I love running the most.   It's the easiest for me to fit in training wise.

Then biking.  in the last 2 summers I"ve had 5 friends hit by cars while riding.  Two were in the hospital for a month.  It killed my motivation to bike outside around here.  last summer I was doing a Mtn bike time trial event, and crashed pretty bad,   Broken hand, three broken ribs, chest tube, etc.   just not a lot of love for biking.

2012-01-13 11:30 AM
in reply to: #3988218

User image

Champion
the colony texas
jford2309 - 2012-01-13 9:06 AM

6.3 mile run planned for this afternoon!

For all of you that do not have a plan for your training, I highly recommend that you look through some of the plans on BT.com. They have great plans that can be run focused, swim or bike focused as well. Some incorporate weight traing and some are really intense. Either way, you should be able to find something that fits your needs and your time available to train!  Nothing beats having a good plan!

For me it's not tough to pick a plan with race to train for,  it's just tough to pick a plan without a race. my last couple of races the training was going well  until I signed up for the race then within a couple of days I have some freak injury that knocks me out of the race/training.    So it's a catch 22.. I dont' want to sign up again, only to get injured, but if I don't sign up for a race I really don't put S/B/R training as a priority..    I'll still do something, every day, but it doesn't end up being considered race training.   Weights, crossfit, etc

2012-01-13 12:26 PM

User image

Regular
Las Vegas

Ok here is an update from me. Last Friday I had to stop my run at 1.5 miles due to chest pain. I had been having some chest pain with my runs during that week but Friday it really hurt, so I thought it wise to stop running. I felt fine the rest of the day. I did see a doc, who did and EKG, which was stone cold normal. He listened to my heart which of course was normal. He stated that based on my symptoms it was mitral valve prolapse. Not a big deal I suppose. Soo I was told to rest for a week with no excercise and then start again slow, and keep my HR down.

Soo Today I will try a 30 minute run on a treadmill very easy pace. If I have chest pain then I will have to get an echocardiogram done, to look at the valve in question.  I think I'll be fine, of course my wife is very worried.

Ok, as far as my best events;

Swimming is number 1. It comes very natural to me and I love being in the water.

Biking is second but I'm not very good at it. I think I really need to work on it. I do average about 16-18 mph on the rolling hills by my house.

Running is last, I hate running, it is very boring for me and its hard!  I definately need work here, especially off the bike.

That it for now. Everyone get out there and train hard.

"We must all suffer one of two things: the pain of discipline or the pain of regret or disappointment."

2012-01-13 2:34 PM

User image

Master
Midcoast Maine

Favorite - biking. I could bike all day. I love being outside, checking out the scenery.

Next favorite - running. When I hurt my foot last June, I had no idea how much I would miss running. Now that I can run again, I' really appreciating it.

Least favorite - swimming. Mostly because I really don't like swimming in pools, and the weather here isn't really friendly to OWS for 7-8 months a year...but it is a necessary evil for participation in tris. So, I swim.

2012-01-13 3:06 PM

User image

Peekskill, NY
Interesting... a smattering of strengths in each area. Like I mentioned, I need to step up my game on the bike and have signed up for the Tour de Cure. I'll be doing a century ride to benefit diabetes on June 3rd. I'm planning on steadily building my miles to help my form and comfort in the saddle. Only problem is, it's still COLD outside now! So.....

In some previous posts, I've read a few of you talk about using a trainer and thought about getting one. What's everyone's thoughts on using one compared to a lot of spinning? Of course nothing can beat wheels on the ground, but I need to get my mileage up and want to start ASAP.

2012-01-13 5:04 PM
in reply to: #3989174

User image

Master
Midcoast Maine

Jambago - 2012-01-12 4:06 PM Interesting... a smattering of strengths in each area. Like I mentioned, I need to step up my game on the bike and have signed up for the Tour de Cure. I'll be doing a century ride to benefit diabetes on June 3rd. I'm planning on steadily building my miles to help my form and comfort in the saddle. Only problem is, it's still COLD outside now! So..... In some previous posts, I've read a few of you talk about using a trainer and thought about getting one. What's everyone's thoughts on using one compared to a lot of spinning? Of course nothing can beat wheels on the ground, but I need to get my mileage up and want to start ASAP.

I love love love my trainer. Living in Maine really limits the amount of outdoor riding that can be done - so it gives me a guaranteed workout - I have no excuses...it's always there and always ready. We also do not have t.v. so I "get" to watch things on Netflix streaming while riding - which is a nice diversion...except when doing Jorge's winter plan..then nothing stops the pain.

Seriously - I would recommend it to anyone. It also lets you focus on form (single leg drills are really hard to to when outside for me). The biggest note I would make - if you buy a trainer - purchase a large box fan at the same time. You will need it.

2012-01-13 5:23 PM
in reply to: #3989398

User image

Regular
Vancouver
Swim is my favourite, bike is 2nd and run is 99 on my list
2012-01-13 6:01 PM

User image

Pro
Bartlett, TN
I love my trainer also. It is very hard for me to work in bike rides during the week with my family, so it gives me an opportunity to be on MY bike and stil ride at all hours. Thank God for DVR! I would also recommend getting one.

2012-01-15 11:59 AM

User image

Peekskill, NY
For all of you out there with warm weather, let me just say, bbbbbbrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr! I'm jealous! Woke this morning to 12 degrees and felt it in my bones! At least its a dry cold front with some sunshine today.

Edited by Jambago 2012-01-15 12:00 PM
2012-01-15 12:05 PM
in reply to: #3989471

User image

Peekskill, NY
What kind of time do you routinely log in the saddle on your trainer, and what kind do you have? Have you heard of Kurt's Kinetic Rock n Roll?
2012-01-15 12:36 PM
in reply to: #3991328

User image

Pro
Bartlett, TN

Jambago - 2012-01-15 12:05 PM What kind of time do you routinely log in the saddle on your trainer, and what kind do you have? Have you heard of Kurt's Kinetic Rock n Roll?

I have my bike computer on my back wheel, so I recird the data of the computer. I realize that it might not be as accurate as if I was outside riding, but at least it is consistent.

2012-01-15 12:50 PM
in reply to: #3991328

User image

Sensei
Sin City

Jambago - 2012-01-15 10:05 AM What kind of time do you routinely log in the saddle on your trainer, and what kind do you have? Have you heard of Kurt's Kinetic Rock n Roll?

I think there is no really good way to log miles on the trainer.  Even if you put a computer on it, that can be fudged as well.  For example, you can put it on zero resistance and the bike in a big gear, and it will look like you did crazy amounts of miles at the same effort if you put resistance on it and road in a smaller gear.  If that makes sense.

It's SORT of like if you coasted downhill for 20 miles and gave yourself credit for 20 miles or road for 2 hours riding UP the hill for 20 miles.  It's apples and oranges.

To be honest, I know what I do on the road based on my typical ride.  If I ride in Z1, it's about 13-14 mph.  Z2 is 15-16, Z3 is 16-18.  SO, I just check what my HR was over the trainer ride, and note the time and give me the miles associated.  Basically, it averages out to be about 15 miles per hour of riding.  I figure I'm not off more than 10%.

I would take the average speed on your outdoor rides and give you that speed.  If you go harder?  Add a mile or so.  If less? Take a mile or two less.

Sorry if I made my answer too long winded.

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Jford2309/Kido Mentoring Group-Closed Rss Feed  

of 13