BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Jford2309/Kido Mentoring Group-Closed Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 13

2011-12-19 9:37 AM

User image

Pro
Bartlett, TN
Subject: Jford2309/Kido Mentoring Group-Closed

WHEN CAN YOU START MENTORING CONSISTENTLY: I can start now, why wait? I am already getting ht erace bug again and I am looking forwrd to 2012!

NAME:James F                                                                                                                                                                    

STORY: I am a husband, father of three boys, who works full time and I love to compete. I have never been on the podium but I am always pushing my self to go harder and further. Sometime I think I am a better trainer than racer, but I am really looking forward to this year and the races I am doing. I have learned a lot over the 4 years I have been racing and I am happy to share what I know. I have also recently become the "wellness Captain" at my work, and I am really enjoying finding ways to get out team members out and exercising!                                                                          

FAMILY STATUS: Like I said, I have been married going on 15 years and have three awesome boys (12, 10 and 3)  which you will hear alot about

CURRENT TRAINING: I like to use a plan to train with. I have used several of BT's plans for my Olympic and half Ironman races and really enjoy them. I also know that I cannot hit every plan word for word due to life, work, etc... I have three "A" races planned this year. An Olympic, A half and a marathon, plus a few other fun races to do.                   

THIS YEAR'S RACES: This was a big year for me, It included two different run race series (cross country and road race), several sprint triathlons, an Olympic triathlon, a Half Ironman and a Marathon!  

2012 RACES:  I have not finalized my race schedule as of yet, but I am wanting to concentrate on the longer distances, meaning Olympics and longer, but whatever I race, I want to race them hard.                                                           

WEIGHTLOSS: This has not been a huge issue with me unless you count the 5-7 lbs I wish to lose since I have been resting in Dec! Dang cookies! 

WHAT WILL MAKE ME A GOOD MENTOR: Thsi will be my third time as a mentor and what I enjoy about it the most is the friendships made and seeing people hit their goals, I understnad that we all have different goals when we start this journey and sometimes we all need someone to encourage us and to look in on us. I still need that and I know others need it as well. This is a hobby for me, and it is fun, and that's the way I want to keep it!

I also am going to be sharing this group with the man called Kido! He is a great guy and has a wealth of information. He has done several IM's and has a lot of knowledge regarding calories and weight loss and such. I wasn't sure of we both could do a bio, but between the two of us, we should be able to make this mentor group fun! 

Edited by jford2309 2011-12-29 2:16 PM

2011-12-19 10:40 AM
in reply to: #3943811

User image

Sensei
Sin City
Subject: RE: Jford2309/Kido Mentoring Group-OPEN

NAME: Kido / Jim
STORY: I am a 43 yr old clydesdale that has had a life long interest in triathlon, but only started to DO triathlon about 5.5 years ago.  Before then, it was a lot of swimming, biking (of all kinds), and running along with many other sports.  I finally put them together in late 2006.  I wanted to get back my fitness and lose some weight and thought triathlon would provide some structure.  I have some recent health issues that will make 2012 "interesting"!  I am currently dealing with a thyroidectomy and radiation and of course the follow-up work of dealing with meds to get back in balance, but I look forward to the extra challanges!
FAMILY STATUS: I am married to a wonderful/beautiful woman, no kids. 
CURRENT TRAINING: I personally train with a moderately technical approach.  I'm a firm believer in plans and I train by heart rate and/or RPE.  I'm currently training for shorter events but I will be doing my 4th Ironman in November, so I will transition to the longer training session mid summer.
THIS YEAR'S RACES: 2012 has just started, so I'm looking to start training for a couple shorter distance races and perhaps another XTERRA event and end the year with a return visit to IM Arizona.  My big events of last year where XTERRA west cup and IM Arizona in the fall.
2012 RACES:  I want to do several Olympic distance events this spring/early summer, and finish the year off with IMAZ.  This year, my main focus/goal is to recover from health issues and survive the Ironman in the fall.
WEIGHTLOSS: I have been working towards an optimal race weight for IMAZ.  This spring is going to be a big challange to get to race weight while dealing with Hypothyroidism - but I look forward to it. 

WHAT WILL MAKE ME A GOOD MENTOR:

I have been around BT for what feels like a LONG time and still get online at least once a day, if not more oftern.  As you might notice from my post count, I talk A LOT!  I love to answer questions to the best of my ability, or if I don't know the answer, do a bit of research and get back to you.

I respond well to questions, either in the forum, or by PM's.  I believe a mentor group is a mutual sharing of thoughts and ideas and group participation is always best.

I believe I have a lot to offer and feel pretty knowledgable in just about every area.  I know about offroad/XTERRA, short courses, Ironman distances, weight loss, bike fitting, equipment, and racing as a bigger athlete.  I can get about as technical as you want with regards to training, but still subscribe to the "simpler is better" approach.  That's more "fun" for me!  First and foremost, this sport is supposed to be FUN!  That way, each workout doesn't feel like a chore or burden, which can happen over the years.

I welcome anyone of any ability and experience level, but really look forward to helping the new people to the sport.

Look forward to working with you and a fun/productive summer of 2012!

Edited by Kido 2011-12-19 10:45 AM
2011-12-23 9:27 PM

User image

New user

Montgomery, AL
Hey Guys - I would like to join your group. I just turned 50 in December and want to make this year special. I finished two Sprints in September last year and now I'm hooked. I am a poor swimmer, average on the bike, slow runner...but I love this stuff. I have a very hard time following all the technical jargon I am hearing and reading. Hope to get some advice on how to train smarter and more effectivly. I have been married for twenty two years and have a son in college. Not sure what my goals for the year should be...the local group is doing a half IM in Sept but that is propably a little too ambitious...would like to do at least an Intemediate distance. Thanks!
2011-12-23 10:22 PM

User image

Pro
Bartlett, TN
Welcome to our group Rusty! This sport is very easy to get hooked on! I look forward to working through any of the jargon you may have questions about and I am sure Kido and I can help you stya motivated!
2011-12-24 9:13 PM

User image

Expert
Newnan, Georgia
Hey guys I'd like to join your group. 32 yr old male who is 8 weeks into my first BT training plan for an Olympic-ish race in march. Then I am seriously considering doing a HIM plan that would take me to August (looking at the Folsom CA HIM)
2011-12-25 10:43 PM
in reply to: #3952953

User image

Pro
Bartlett, TN

trmat79 - 2011-12-24 9:13 PM Hey guys I'd like to join your group. 32 yr old male who is 8 weeks into my first BT training plan for an Olympic-ish race in march. Then I am seriously considering doing a HIM plan that would take me to August (looking at the Folsom CA HIM)

welcome to the group! I have had alot of success using the BT plans!  Which HIM are you planning on doing?

2011-12-26 6:34 AM

User image

Expert
Newnan, Georgia
Thinking snout one in August in Folsom ca (near Sacramento) but first I've got to check off triathlon #1 in march
2011-12-26 9:23 AM

User image

Expert
Palm Bay

I would like to be in Kido's group again, although I will be in rehab state to start.

NAME: Steve Hebert

STORY: Got into triathlons about 4 years ago, because I am over weight and need to exercise.  I got bored just running, so I decided hey I can do all 3 of these sports, so why not try. 

I competed in 4 super sprints my first season, finished 3 of 4 but that is another story.  In 2010 I completed 4 sprints, the final one with a torn labrum in left shoulder.   I had surgery in Nov.

In 2011, concentrated on running and started back with open water swims.  Found out I pulled out 2 anchors in my shoulder, so they were repaired, along with a bicep tenodesis.

I will once again be walk/jogging and mostly stretching, after seeing dr this week.

I need a group to encourage me to get back into the game.  I was signed up for a tri at the end of May, and would like to get in shape for it.

FAMILY: Married 25 years, 4 children, 1 teaching school, 1 full-time nanny, 1 in National Guard & College, 1 Senior in High School.

TRAINING: Not much in my log, but stretching daily and doing some core.  Walk/ Jog at least 1 time per week.

GOAL: Continue to lose at 1/2lb a week.  I dropped 37 lbs in 2011 and want to continue that this year.  Other goal is to do the tri I am signed up for in late May.

2011-12-26 12:33 PM

User image

Hey guys - I'd like to join your group.

Name: Michelle

Story: I'm currently slogging through my PhD. I fenced during undergrad and still play around with it a bit, but not too seriously. I had pretty much stopped exercising completely until this September. I've struggled with clinical depression and SAD for years, and when it started getting dark so early again I found myself faced with two options: increase my medication again, or make some really drastic life changes. I chose drastic life changes which include totally revamping my nutrition and adding daily exercise. I've always been interested in triathlon, and it seemed like a good goal to set for myself at this point. I am happy to report that I have been relapse-free since September and am even toying with the idea of tapering my current med dosages. 

Family Status: Married, two cats, one parrot and no kids.

Current Training: I've been doing a lot of running. I love biking (just not in the cold!) and am trying to get up the courage to seriously tackle the swimming.

Weightloss: I've lost 20 lbs since September with more to lose.

2011-12-26 2:20 PM
in reply to: #3952098

User image

Extreme Veteran
Alberta
Would like to sign up for this group. Started triathlons last year. Looking to improve this year.Turning 45 in june. Would like to leave clydesdale divisionI am persuading two friends to join this group--John and Ginger(blaine)Will post more when i am on computer.Cheers!
2011-12-26 2:52 PM

User image

Peekskill, NY
Hey Guys,

I'm looking to join if you still have some room.

I just officially hit middle age (be 46 next week) and have set another goal that I’m anxious to meet - completing two Olys this coming year.

A little history on me. Last year at 45 I said I’d get off the couch and make it the year I’d do a triathlon - and DID it, or should I say it and then some. Two sprints with a few 5ks & 10ks along the way until I injured my soleus training for a HM in September (rehabbed and now back on the road/trails).

My race/event plans for 2012 are to get my HM in April, do a benefit Century ride (thankfully fully supported ) in early June, two local sprints in late June, and then step it up to the Olys in the summer time.

I’ve got a bit on my plate, but also the will and determination to see it all through. I’m a stickler for plans and keeping true to them. I pretty much have always trained alone, had never been an athlete before last year (now a TRIathlete - woo hoo!). When it comes to training, I'm more goal driven then anything else and like to see something in my calendar to meet.

With the support of my wife (and puppy) I’ll meet all my goals (all I have to do is keep my body from breaking down - lol). I’d definitely benefit from some motivational support and whatever guidance in selecting an appropriate BT training plan to help meet these goals. Last years training was a cross between internet research and suggestions from others I've met along the way.

Looking forward to working with you and connecting with the group.

John

Peekskill, NY

2011-12-26 3:54 PM
in reply to: #3954176

User image

Extreme Veteran
Alberta

thor67 - 2011-12-26 1:20 PM Would like to sign up for this group. Started triathlons last year. Looking to improve this year.Turning 45 in june. Would like to leave clydesdale divisionI am persuading two friends to join this group--John and Ginger(blaine)Will post more when i am on computer.Cheers!
Okay here is my story. Joined a 6 week weight loss challenge with family and friends in May of 2009...won that but decided to keep going. Dropped around 90lbs. Needed something to stay motivated so I entered a sprint triathlon in June of 2010. Liked it so much I did 1 more sprint and 2 olympics. I plan on doing at least 2 of the same races as i want to use that as a measuring stick.

Along the same lines, I decided to do a 1/2 marathon in February.

I am a clydesdale hovering between 205 and 220(like about now)

I would like to be down under 200 by race season and 190 by the August.

Swim: probably my strongest even though it doesn't feel like it.

Bike: bought a cycle trainer for the winter. have not started using consistently as I am more focussed on run.

Run:did I mention I hate running?? Not the best but not the worst.

I am looking for big improvements in my bike and run this year. Time will tell. 

I train with no one else although as mentioned above, I have invited 2 friends to try a triathlon and join this group. Hopefully they sign up to this group before it is closed!Smile

2011-12-26 4:41 PM
in reply to: #3954258

User image

Extreme Veteran
Alberta
thor67 - 2011-12-26 2:54 PM

thor67 - 2011-12-26 1:20 PM Would like to sign up for this group. Started triathlons last year. Looking to improve this year.Turning 45 in june. Would like to leave clydesdale divisionI am persuading two friends to join this group--John and Ginger(blaine)Will post more when i am on computer.Cheers!
Okay here is my story. Joined a 6 week weight loss challenge with family and friends in May of 2009...won that but decided to keep going. Dropped around 90lbs. Needed something to stay motivated so I entered a sprint triathlon in June of 2010. Liked it so much I did 1 more sprint and 2 olympics. I plan on doing at least 2 of the same races as i want to use that as a measuring stick.

Along the same lines, I decided to do a 1/2 marathon in February.

I am a clydesdale hovering between 205 and 220(like about now)

I would like to be down under 200 by race season and 190 by the August.

Swim: probably my strongest even though it doesn't feel like it.

Bike: bought a cycle trainer for the winter. have not started using consistently as I am more focussed on run.

Run:did I mention I hate running?? Not the best but not the worst.

I am looking for big improvements in my bike and run this year. Time will tell. 

I train with no one else although as mentioned above, I have invited 2 friends to try a triathlon and join this group. Hopefully they sign up to this group before it is closed!Smile

cancel me out, managed to join another group!

Cheers!

2011-12-27 9:59 AM

User image

Pro
Bartlett, TN
Welcome Michelle and Steve! It saounds like we are going to have a great group going in 2012! I know I am looking forward to hearing more about your workouts and goals I know we all have issues fitting in workouts between work, school, kids and life!
2011-12-27 11:34 AM

User image

Regular
Las Vegas

Hello, I would like to join your group if you have some room.

Name: Mike Kooyman

Story: I started training in May of 2010 after watching IM St. George. I thought man I need to get in shape and this looks fun, I bet if I trained for a year I could do this. My first tri was in Nov 2010 I did the Silverman half distance. I really did not know what I was doing but it was awesome! My 2nd tri was IM St. George May 2011. I did ok but had the flu so I know I can do better. I also did a sprint and oly this fall here in Las Vegas.

2012 Races: My "A" race in Coeur d'alene in June, I my goal is 1,6,5. The swim will be about 1:10 the bike and run are what I am worried about. I am thinking of doing an Oly in April. I have not decided what I am doing after June, but will most likely do Pumkinman again.

Ok that is it

2011-12-27 5:45 PM

User image

Pro
Bartlett, TN
Welcome to the group Mike! The first time I did a tri, I was also hooked!

2011-12-27 6:53 PM
in reply to: #3956393

User image

Sensei
Sin City
Back from my travels.  Welcome everyone!  I'm looking forward to the new year.
2011-12-27 7:33 PM

User image

Master
Midcoast Maine

I would love to join your group if there is still room. My name is Jennifer W and I live in a tiny town (population 5000) in Maine. I started participating in triathlons about three years ago with a sprint (the bike course goes about 1.2 mile from my house), the next year I did a half marathon, another sprint and an Oly (also - luckily for me - close to home, only 5 miles away) with my sights set on a HIM last summer. I ran two half marathons in the winter and spring and then developed an injury (the cuboid bone iny my right foot slips out of place when I run too much) which completely derailed my season.

I have (hopefully) addressed the injury and I am hoping to run the Hyannis Half Marathon (again) in Feb, the Great Bay Half Marathon in April and the Patriot HIM in June. If the injury keeps me from these, I'll focus on a HIM in the fall (we have two around here - the Pumpkinman in mid Sept and the Rev3 Orchard Beach late Sept). My long term goal is to complete a full in the next couple of years but I feel like I need to successfully complete a half before taking that on.

I have been married for 18 years with two girls (ages 9 and 11) and work as a project manager for a software consultancy. I mostly work from home (which is great in the winter if there is a snow day or someone is home sick), but do travel about once a month...which can be challenging for training. I'd love to hear people's recommendations on how to stay motivated when injured...it's really been challenging for me.

Thanks!

2011-12-27 9:21 PM

User image

Veteran
Taoyuan, Taiwan

NAME: Duncan Quinlivan-Hall

STORY: In the summer of 2010 I was getting pretty upset about my weight and started running once or twice a week.  After a month of that, I decided to try training for a triathlon. Living in Taiwan makes things interesting, and sometimes hard to find good advice / people to talk to.  I did a few races in 2011 (see below) and joined a bike club and triathlon team in September.  I have yet to go on a group ride with the bike club as I have a very busy work schedule.  I have run with the Tri team once, and did my first event with them less than a month ago.  It was awesome.  Looking for people to answer questions I might have, and to share accomplishments with.

FAMILY STATUS: Married to a lovely Taiwanese woman, Jenny.  I have 2 great daughters, Erinn is 7 years old, and Lizzie will be 1 on January first.

CURRENT TRAINING: I haven't done much of anything in the last 10 days after completing my first half marathon.  Hoping to get back into it soon, but have a pretty bad cold at the moment.  Going a little stir crazy!

THIS YEARS RACES: The first event that I found was a Duathlon in January 2011.  It was a really strange format, 21km bike, 5km trail run, 9km road run... in that order.  I did it on my old mountain bike with a kids seat / basket on the back.  LOVED IT. 

Signed up for an Olympic in June 2011, and managed to beat my time goals. 

Just had a great end to the year.  I ran a 4km race with my brother and sister on 11/20 (one is living here for the year teaching, and the other was just visiting for a week) Did a true Duathlon on 12/4 and then did my first half Marathon with my brother on 12/18.  All three were great fun.  I was disappointed in my half marathon time, but given the crowds (well over 50,000 runners in all) I'm OK with it.

2012 RACES:  I don't have anything planned at the moment.  I have a VERY busy work schedule, especially in the spring.  I have been thinking of doing the Olympic again in June, and maybe finding some local running races to fill in the gaps.

WEIGHT LOSS:  Not really a huge goal any more.  Since I started I have dropped 13 kilograms.  I am still about 6 ~ 7 kilos over my High School weight, but not too bad.  I am  trying to incorporate some ideas from the Thrive diet into my eating habits, but don't think I could do it 100%.

WHAT WILL MAKE ME A GOOD MENTEE:  I'm still very new at this sport.  While I have a fairly active background (High school Volleyball, track, baseball, badminton, softball and ski team) It's been a while, and I'm certainly open to suggestions.  Also, since my wife isn't an active person at all, and she doesn't really understand the whole exercise mentality, I'll be fairly active on here not only being cheered on, but cheering others on as well.

2011-12-27 9:22 PM

User image

Veteran
Taoyuan, Taiwan

Santa was good to me.

Aero Bars

CO2 pump

Arm Coolers

GU gels

Halo headbands

I feel like I cleaned up at Christmas!

2011-12-28 9:54 AM

User image

Pro
Bartlett, TN
Subject: RE: Jford2309/Kido Mentoring Group-Closed

Welcome Jennifer and Duncan!

i am very excited to get this year started. I am using a BT plan for an Olympic distance in May and my training actually starts on Jan 9th, although I am still running and swimming already. I am glad to hear that people had a great Holiday and now we can all say no to the Christmas goodies and start setting out sights on 2012 goals!.

please make sure that your logs are accessible to the people in our group. Kido and I will reference those logs if you have specific questions about training and it will also help everyone keep you motivated!

Edited by jford2309 2011-12-29 2:15 PM

2011-12-28 1:26 PM

User image

Veteran

NAME: utahrunner/Sterling

STORY: 2012 will be my third season doing triathlon.  I swam in high school, so I like to say that’s my strength.  My run & bike need a lot of help.  Last summer I did my first HIM and I finished with a smile, but just not ready to jump up to a full iron man distance (St. George Ironman 2013).  For me I want to learn more on how to train and race better.   Looking for people to answer questions I might have, and to share accomplishments with.

FAMILY STATUS: Married.  I have 2 daughters and a son.

CURRENT TRAINING: I’m doing a bike training class (HIT) once a week till the end January.  I swim & run twice a week. 

THIS YEARS RACES: Half Marathon in February, Olympic tri in May, sprint in June, HIM in August, Olympic in September, Marathon & Olympic in October.   

2012 RACES:  Currently not signed up for anything.  I’m eyeing on a half marathon in February again.  Will do the same HIM as last year in August and couple local triathlon in my area in May & September.  A marathon in October.  Mostly likely the same races I did last year.  I may add a new race in April (Rage).     

WEIGHT LOSS:  I’m in the big boys club.  Would like to dropped 30 pounds.

2011-12-28 2:50 PM

User image

Pro
Bartlett, TN
Welcome to the group utahrunner/Sterling!  Most triathletes I know have a struggle with the swim, so you might be further ahead than most of us when we started. OSunds like you have a great schedule, but it looks to get tough as the year ends!  Looking forward to this spring and doing whatever we can to help you achieve goals and answer any questions!
2011-12-29 8:06 AM

User image

Veteran
Taoyuan, Taiwan

Wow James, just checked out your blog, pretty fancy.  Will have to spend some time (when I finally get some) to check it out fully.

About my logs, they are totally up to date, which is kinda sad for December I know.  It's been a tough month for consistent training, and I've been sick for the last week.  I haven't done anything since my half mary 11 days ago!  Looking forward to getting the aero bars put on my bike and taking it out for a spin.

Looking forward to feeling better soon!

2011-12-29 9:16 AM

User image

Regular
Vancouver

Name: Twink

Story: Very large 44 yr old Athena who began working out 6 months banish depression. Its been a struggle to say the least but I'm back to my happy camper self but would really like to stay this way. Also working at getting the scale to move but it won't budge yet...anyone have WD-40? Wink

Family Status: Married, no kids, 4 nieces, 2 dogs.

Current Training: I work out 3-6 times a week depending on the intensity and length of the workout. Love to swim, biking is fun. Running is my nemesis. Still working on actually completing a 5km distance while walking! Cry I'm up to 4km and am working on the endurance to complete 5km. Will be very proud of myself if when I complete my first Sprint tri.

2012 Races: First race will be a Short (400m/11km/5km) taking place this March (indoor pool). Also signed up for the Apple Try-a-Tri (300m/15km/3km) in August (open water, lake). I was a bit nervous to register for the Sprint as it was a 750m open water swim. Also plan on doing a 5km walk/run and possibly bike race this summer.

Weight: Lots to lose but working on the first 20.

Accountability is my first goal for 2012 - yay!

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Jford2309/Kido Mentoring Group-Closed Rss Feed  

of 13