BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Jac's Group - The water is warm, join us! Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 19

2012-01-22 9:23 PM
in reply to: #3947226

User image

Los Angeles
Subject: RE: Jac's Group - The water is warm, join us!

hard weekend workouts

9.25 miles at Rose Bowl -Sat night

46.5 mile bike ride with hills..and then a 4mile run after the bike ride- Sun

tomorrow got a big swim planned with some timed 100's

Hard weekend.  Hope everyone did well

2012-01-23 7:34 AM

User image

Marshall Michigan

Back at it today w/ very restfull Sunday.   The weather is so wierd this year, 15 F on saturday then 44 this morning, no more snow!  We had 6 inches all gone!   We had thunder storms for the 1st part of my morning.

Run 18min, Bike 53min swam 30min.  Working on breathing from both sides, getting alittle easier but need much work.

Happy Monday

2012-01-23 10:15 AM

User image

Las Vegas

Hey gang, a newcomer to the group here, but not necessarily to the triathlon or BT world.  My name is Dave, and I am an addict...of multisport.  I used to rely primarily on another logging site, but discovered that BT provides a little more entertainmet than just data.  And as a bonus, I just discovered I can link my workouts from the other site onto my training log here.  Sweet!  Anyway...

I live up in Spokane, WA, and am currently serving in the USAF (I will hit 12 years in February).  This season is my third season racing in triathlon.  My first year I raced in mostly sprints and olympic distance.  Last season, I competed and completed Ironman Coeur d'Alene (10:57:36) and a variety of other races including a long course (5:15) and marathon (3:26) as well.  This year my goal shifts back to the olympic and long course distance.  I'm hoping to be selected for the Air Force Triathlon Team which will race down in Ventura County, CA in June (fingers crossed!).

I'm not sure what kind of advice I'll be able to provide based on the "science" answer (although I am pursuing my BS in Exercise Science), but I do have some real-life experience to help out too.  I think the biggest accomplishment was competing at IMCDA six months after becoming a Dad.  So if you need advice about time management or spousal support, I might chime in there!

I'm catching up in the posts, but for now I'm glad to e-meet everybody.  Cheers!

2012-01-23 10:44 AM

User image

Veteran
www.multisportbargains.com
Welcome to the group!
2012-01-23 2:08 PM
in reply to: #4005777

User image

Marshall Michigan
dws.ridesere - 2012-01-23 11:15 AM

Hey gang, a newcomer to the group here, but not necessarily to the triathlon or BT world.  My name is Dave, and I am an addict...of multisport.  I used to rely primarily on another logging site, but discovered that BT provides a little more entertainmet than just data.  And as a bonus, I just discovered I can link my workouts from the other site onto my training log here.  Sweet!  Anyway...

I live up in Spokane, WA, and am currently serving in the USAF (I will hit 12 years in February).  This season is my third season racing in triathlon.  My first year I raced in mostly sprints and olympic distance.  Last season, I competed and completed Ironman Coeur d'Alene (10:57:36) and a variety of other races including a long course (5:15) and marathon (3:26) as well.  This year my goal shifts back to the olympic and long course distance.  I'm hoping to be selected for the Air Force Triathlon Team which will race down in Ventura County, CA in June (fingers crossed!).

I'm not sure what kind of advice I'll be able to provide based on the "science" answer (although I am pursuing my BS in Exercise Science), but I do have some real-life experience to help out too.  I think the biggest accomplishment was competing at IMCDA six months after becoming a Dad.  So if you need advice about time management or spousal support, I might chime in there!

I'm catching up in the posts, but for now I'm glad to e-meet everybody.  Cheers!

Hello, hope to see your posts everyday.  Great intro.
2012-01-23 6:10 PM

Veteran
Oahu, Hawaii

Welcome Dave!

My weekend training got shot because I came down with a 24 hour flu OR it could have been food poisoning, I have no idea what happened but I got the fever, body aches, headache and nausea all at once on saturday. Fortunately, it was gone by sunday and I was able to do a short Run/Walk. 

Biking and swimming tonight after work!

2012-01-23 7:25 PM

User image

New user
I had a great weekend, lots of workouts and lots of good food...... took today off but plan to hit the gym in the morning and the pool in the evening.
2012-01-23 10:10 PM

User image

Veteran
My coach gave me the night off, and my "weekend" is technically Tues and Wed, but I am thinking about a 60 min trainer sesh tonight. We shall see.
2012-01-24 1:25 AM

Veteran
Oahu, Hawaii
I had a question pop in my head today....Do I need to be adding some training sessions in the mornings? I'm almost always training in the pm because of work and my kids. Should I be trying to schedule some runs or bike sessions in the early am on a weekend? Just wondering if this will matter at all since the sprint tri is early in the morning.
2012-01-24 6:16 AM

User image

New user

New London

Just wondering if there is still room in the group. If so I would certainly like to join your group and get my tri on. This is my first season for tri and I am looking to leap right into things. Im a 24 year old engineer with a very flexible schedule 7 days a week living with my girlfriend.

I have all the equipment needed to get started, maybe even then some. I have tried to stay active over the past few years but have found motivation and discipline to be lacking. I decided Tris would be a pursuit worth my time and requires both the things I have found lacking the past few years. My family (parents and younger brother) have decided to do this thing together and get fit as a family (parents have already dropped 25-50 pounds each in their late 40s). We don't tend to test the waters much before doing things, we just dive right in. We are going to do 5 sprints this year (first one on June 2) and throw in an Oly-dist late season.

I just started going to the gym (6 days a week) to get back into shape, combining strength, run, bike and other cardio workouts. Currently looking for a pool to swim in 1-2 days a week. My biggest hurdle is nutrition. I have never been able to stay consistent with a plan and would appreciate some help with this aspect. I do want to lose 10-15 lbs in the next 20 weeks (ambitious I know) but thats my goal. Started this by creating a caloric deficit in my diet and going from there.

This was a lot, but I hope I didn't scare you away with it. Love the fact you have a military background, because that screams discipline and thats what I am looking for.

2012-01-24 6:45 AM

User image

Marshall Michigan

Another great morning in Mich, got done super early so off to the pool i went, 1st one in the water so I got the good lane! 

Run 18 min bike 53 swim 30min, and I ran to fencing class again, w/ super windy conditions.  Good thing the wind was at my back as it really pushed me up the 1 large hill. 

Have a super Tuesday everyone.  Welcome new guys!

Bill

2012-01-24 11:48 AM
in reply to: #4007350

User image

Las Vegas

TriMo...good question!  In my experience, I've found that having my body "used" to operating at a certain time (competition time) before a race is pretty important.  I grew up a competitive swimmer, and all of our competitions were in the morning, if not both morning and evening.  When it comes to training for tris, in my opinion, it's a good idea to get into that practice.  I wouldn't suggest 'adding' workouts as much as I would suggest rearranging some of your current workouts.  Of course it takes some adjusting of the schedule, so start small - maybe once a week, and go from there.

There's also an added benefit of exercising in the morning.  As much as I dislike waking up early, I actually function much better throughout the day after I workout in the morning.  It has been shown to jumpstart your metabolism (just think what it was doing for the previous 6-8 hours...nothing but slowing down), get your mind active, and overall have a positive effect on your day.  I usually eat a small meal before my morning workouts - simple sugars, nothing too complex, just to drop in some calories.  While working out, I drink some electrolyte drink for the entire morning workout (whereas in the afternoon I tend to drink water first then switch to electrolyte drink after about 45 minutes).  Afterwards I have a good breakfast and enjoy the rest of my day!

I say give it a shot and see what happens...there is nothing wrong with trying!  Or is it triing? 

Edited by dws.ridesere 2012-01-24 11:49 AM
2012-01-24 1:23 PM
in reply to: #4007398

User image

Las Vegas

pwagner...welcome to the group!  I admire your passion to dive right into the tri world.  That alone proves that your just crazy enough to keep it up. 

Not knowing your fitness background, I think you've got a good start on "getting back into shape" with your routine.  I think as you explore this site, and the triathlon world in general, you will find plenty of information about nutrition.  Let me offer my opinion - nutrition shouldn't be a "plan" or a "diet."  It should be a lifestyle...here's what I mean.  Every "plan" or "diet" has a terminal point, a finishing point; sometimes it's a date, sometimes it's a weight goal that you achieve.  My point is that the "plan" has an ending point.  If you look at nutrition being more of a "lifestyle," it might make it a little easier to make the changes that you need to make.  I am a big fan of starting small and working my way into things.  I also have the mindset that I work hard, so sometimes having some GOOD food is okay.  I would suggest looking at the "lifestyle" of having nutrition and allowing yourself some flexibility as you start making changes.  Try keeping a journal of what you eat; that usually opens people's eyes!

We're all in the same boat - staying in shape and trying to eat right.  I'm sure other people will have some valuable input as well.  Again, welcome to the world and keep up the good work!

2012-01-24 1:35 PM

User image

Marshall Michigan
All this talk about eating right has made me hungry, I'm going to eat a snickers bar right now!
2012-01-24 4:12 PM

User image

Veteran
Pwagner, welcome! You're in! 

Edited by jaclynembry 2012-01-24 4:16 PM
2012-01-24 4:21 PM
in reply to: #4007350

User image

Veteran

TriMoTri - 2012-01-23 11:25 PM I had a question pop in my head today....Do I need to be adding some training sessions in the mornings? I'm almost always training in the pm because of work and my kids. Should I be trying to schedule some runs or bike sessions in the early am on a weekend? Just wondering if this will matter at all since the sprint tri is early in the morning.

Train when you can focus on it. With work, kids and, life distractions, getting in training anytime can be difficult. Think about quality rather than quantity. 

2012-01-25 7:19 AM
in reply to: #4008833

User image

Marshall Michigan
jaclynembry - 2012-01-24 5:21 PM

TriMoTri - 2012-01-23 11:25 PM I had a question pop in my head today....Do I need to be adding some training sessions in the mornings? I'm almost always training in the pm because of work and my kids. Should I be trying to schedule some runs or bike sessions in the early am on a weekend? Just wondering if this will matter at all since the sprint tri is early in the morning.

Train when you can focus on it. With work, kids and, life distractions, getting in training anytime can be difficult. Think about quality rather than quantity. 

??  I like to combine my work outs w/ other activities - paper route is a easy one w/ running and bikeing. During the Summer i will drive hafe way to work and park at a park and ride.  Then i have a 15 mile cummute.  15 more on the way home, but it is easy to add more, I'm already riding.  Run to gym, swim and then run home.  Run or bike to fencing class then take the long way home...  It does take more planning, packing extra clothes, but your already going that direction, why not just add some extra time in and go for it by people power!
2012-01-25 7:27 AM

User image

Marshall Michigan

Good morning today, body is feeling the swim from the 2 mornings before, but I got going and was glad i pushed through.  My body some mornings is so tight and sore, but after the 1st 10 min of activity things work them self out.

My 1/2 iron distance plan is now starting to add more time in the work outs, I'm excited to start adding distance.  I'll have to start afternoon workouts soon to complete my daily goals.  When does everyone else work out?  Mornings or Afternoons?

I've got no energy in the afternoon, this will be a challenge to not drop down in the chair and call it a day.  Wish me luck.

2012-01-25 1:07 PM
in reply to: #4009735

User image

New user

Paper Boy - 2012-01-25 7:27 AM  When does everyone else work out?  Mornings or Afternoons?

Usually I do cardio and strength training in the morning, when I'm not traveling I work from home so after everyone leaves for work and school I have a couple of hours before my day starts.

Swimming is usually in the afternoon/evening. My wife, an ex High School and Masters swimmer swan with me last night....she smoked me.......Back in the pool again tonight.

2012-01-25 4:05 PM

User image

Las Vegas
Had some good strength training today; really feeling good building up a little more power...slowly but surely.  Went for a run afterwards, ended up going 4 miles at a pretty good rate.  My right knee/patellar tendon is still tweaked.  It was sore for about the first 5 minutes of the run, but the pain went away after that for the rest of the run.  Doing my research, thinking it's runners knee, but going to do some more research to confirm.  I'm hesitant to go to our doctors because I have a feeling they'll get a kneejerk (no pun intended) reaction and dive way too deep into it.  Rest rest rest...
2012-01-25 5:10 PM

Veteran
Oahu, Hawaii

Thanks for all the great training tips everyone! 

I'm really learning so much from all of you. I'm gonna try and get up early this saturday and do my run...we'll see how my knees feel early in the morning. I'll bike in the am on sunday and see how that goes. My husband will be home so I don't have to worry about my kids being alone (they're 4yrs and 9yrs). 

Another thing I'm noticing as I go through this training plan....I EAT MORE!! and I'm getting more dehydrated...., I've read this in articles before but now the info is really starting to sink in and make sense. I have to remember to drink more water during the day. I'm very bad at that. 

Happy wednesday! Swim tonight.

2012-01-25 7:20 PM

User image

Veteran
La Crosse

Doesn't look like I'll get a swim in this week.

Working fulltime as a firefighter and half time+ at local hospital is really getting in the way this year.  I usually manage 5-7 workouts a week, but have not had the energy as of late to do both an AM and a PM.

Spun 1:40 yesterday AM, 1:10 of cross trainer followed by a 5K @ 25:20 tonight.  Double spin class tomorrow morning again.  I was going to swim Friday AM, but I have my son tomorrow night so that won't work.  Hopefully next week I can hit the water more.  Starting the "Indoor Ironman" on Wednesday.

Happy Hump Day to All.

2012-01-26 5:51 PM

User image

Eastern Washington

Hi!  My name is Kristen and I was kindly referred to this group by Dave.  I am brand new to the world of triathlons and becoming a triathlete, so I'm trying to glean as much information as I can.  I was going to try and shoot for participating in a sprint triathlon this coming June, but I think I may take a little more time to focus on proper training and purchasing quality equipment.

I'm not a runner...at all.  I swim in the summer and I do bike ride but running IS NOT a strength of mine.  I found a training plan here on the website for beginner runners and started it this week.  I think it's probably just the right speed for me, as I have somewhat coddled my body over the years and have stayed away from high impact sports.  I've had knee surgeries on both knees and therefore I'm a little hesitant to do any type of exercise that may result in damaging my knees.  I also recently purchased a pair of running shoes and I'm hoping to see a huge difference in how I feel when I'm walking/running.  I know it has to be better than the cheap shoes I'm wearing right now!! 

I'm excited about this lifestyle change-I was finding that I couldn't stay motivated to get to the gym and even though I enjoy working out and having more energy, it was becoming boring and unfulfilling.  I think this is definitely something I will enjoy doing and then having the added benefit of being healthy and fit will be wonderful!

Thank you for having this resource available!  I'm learning a lot already!!

Kristen

2012-01-26 7:43 PM

Veteran
Oahu, Hawaii

hi Kristen! welcome to our group. Your bio sounds very similar to mine...I'm not a runner at all and this is my first experience with triathlons. I've had two knee surgeries and 1 shoulder rotator cuff surgery but I'm determined to get fit to complete my first sprint triathlon this June. I totally get your comment about working out in gyms being boring......training for a triathlon has made working out so much more exciting and fun for me! I like having a goal to work towards.

Good luck on your journey!

Moana

2012-01-26 10:03 PM

User image

Los Angeles
Ocean swim this weekend!!!!!  Cant wait!!!
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Jac's Group - The water is warm, join us! Rss Feed  

of 19