BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Shellback1998 2012 Group FULL Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 23

2012-01-17 8:15 AM
in reply to: #3993601

User image

Subject: RE: Shellback1998 2012 Group OPEN

shellback1998 - 2012-01-16 5:45 PM This forum has been quiet today... What did everyone do over the weekend?

I bundled up (put on two layers of thermals) under two seatshirts, gloves, hats and went for a 5K run and Sunday.  I also took an LT test on my trainer to determine my heart rate zones for cycling (although after it was over I felt I could've pushed myself a little harder).

2012-01-17 9:07 AM
in reply to: #3950785

Do you have room for one more? I signed up for my first tri this year.
2012-01-17 9:08 AM
in reply to: #3994674

User image

Expert
KC7 - 2012-01-17 10:07 AM Do you have room for one more? I signed up for my first tri this year.
 Welcome aboard... Tell me more about yourself
2012-01-17 9:08 AM
in reply to: #3994516

User image

Expert
CraigS - 2012-01-17 9:15 AM

shellback1998 - 2012-01-16 5:45 PM This forum has been quiet today... What did everyone do over the weekend?

I bundled up (put on two layers of thermals) under two seatshirts, gloves, hats and went for a 5K run and Sunday.  I also took an LT test on my trainer to determine my heart rate zones for cycling (although after it was over I felt I could've pushed myself a little harder).

What were the results? 

2012-01-17 9:10 AM

User image

Expert

Great job at swim this morning Scott.

100 free
200 2X100 pull with paddles on :10 RI
50 kick with fins
250 free every 4th breast
300 4X75 kick, swim, pull
1000 4X(3X50 @55, 2X50 @50)
1000 2X(3X100 @1:45, 2X100 @140)
200 pull with paddles

I did three miles on the treadmill after at recovery pace of 9:56/mile and 128 average heart rate. Lets feel so much looser.

2012-01-17 9:12 AM
in reply to: #3994688

User image

Expert
everlong - 2012-01-17 10:10 AM

Great job at swim this morning Scott.

100 free
200 2X100 pull with paddles on :10 RI
50 kick with fins
250 free every 4th breast
300 4X75 kick, swim, pull
1000 4X(3X50 @55, 2X50 @50)
1000 2X(3X100 @1:45, 2X100 @140)
200 pull with paddles

I did three miles on the treadmill after at recovery pace of 9:56/mile and 128 average heart rate. Lets feel so much looser.

Yeah, I'll be running at lunch, Followed by an hour and half on the trainer doing 8 Tabita intervals which suck.... 

Now, I can get you off my back in a public forum

2012-01-17 9:46 AM
in reply to: #3994679

Here goes:

Name: KC

Story: (I'll be brief but hit the important data points)  Female, just turned 40 in December.

1. Grew up active and in decent enough shape. Diagnosed with cancer in college. Beat Hodgkins lymphoma.

2. Got married (he turned out to have male borderline personality disorder = verbally/mentally/emotionally abusive) important data point in that it a. contributed to a pretty severe weight gain where I used food to soothe myself and b. came close to destroying my confidence and significant panic/anxiety attacks. Whereas some struggle just to run that mile physically and/or mentally I am also struggling to reprogram my mind away from what the 12 years of darkness did to me so I have learned to cry while I run/swim/bike and do it quite often (exercise is my therapy). 

3. Three years ago due to a complication from the cancer treatments in college, I had a heart attack, open heart surgery and a double bypass to go around the parts of my heart where the scar tissue had built up from the radiation treatments.  So add in that I have some anxiety issues around my heart beating fast lol

4. After my "escape" from the marriage I made a conscious decision to fix my body and mind. Hired a personal trainer (my new best friend) and he has taken me from a woman frightened to run...a woman who simply running 30 seconds left  her in tears and shaking...to a woman who completed five 5k races last year and as her xmas gift for her trainer presented him with the paid registration for her to do her first triathlon (sprint distance).

Family Status: Divorced. One biological daughter (age 7) who loves to run also and completed three 5ks on her own last year (best time 31:08) and managed a 7 minute mile in another race.

Current Training:I currently lift with my trainer on Mondays (he also does some cardio intervals with me). My current training plan is that I do the C210K app on Tues and Thurs nights. I take Weds off for rest. Fridays (I like to call them Tri Days) I hit the pool and swim then go straight to spin class where I average about 20 miles per session (it's winter so inside). Saturday mornings I run 5k.  I was ALSO doing P90x also in the mornings but just coming off a xmas back injury so easing back in and will add that back in the next month or so.  At some point this summer I want to add the 5k run after my swim and bike Friday night so I can essentially put the pieces together.

Swimming confidence - not too worried. Did 300 meters in 13:46 and can probably get faster (that was the first time in the pool since last summer and I didn't even put my face in or wear goggles).

Running confidence - I am not fast. But I can finish. I have got my 5k time in under an hour and I would be happy with anything under an hour. I will continue to run and trainer is starting me rowing for more endurance.

Biking? - This one has me nervous. Not so much about the physical part of it but the equipment. I rely on my body to swim and run but bike has things that break and tires that go flat and the last few rides I have had equipment failures that have really got me down and scared about that part. I need to build that confidence. Currently riding a Cannondale CAD3 mountain bike. I need to get new tires in the spring so it rides better and I guess I need to ride a lot and break down a lot so I get over the fear of that part.

2011 Races: Five local 5k races and a one mile "fun run" as I wanted to see what I could do a mile in. I made it in 13 and change. But I can't keep that pace in a longer race. Yet.

Planned 2012 Races:  A few 5ks with my daughter and I signed up for a sprint distance Triathlon in September.  (300 meter swim, 11 mile bike, 5k run)

Weightloss: I have a lot of weight to loose but I am just focusing on eating right and exercise and not eyeballing the scale. I have gone down ten pants sizes and about 12 shirt/top sizes in the last two years so I measure my progress by how big my clothes are getting versus the number on the scale.

I hope that's enough to introduce myself. Super nervous but also excited. If I do this...I think I will really start to feel like I have turned a huge page in my life and taken it back from someone who spent 12 years telling me I wasn't good enough, was worthless, and all sorts of other things not nice to say in mixed company. So this is a very personal thing for me...not just physical.

I look forward to working with y'all.

2012-01-17 9:54 AM

User image

Did a brick workout this morning- all in the gym. I don't have a trainer- being on a student budget your funds for fun are limited. Is it worth it? I can't seem to find a used one, I've looked on e-bay, craigslist, play it again sports, and my local bike stores. Any other ideas?

Did 45 min spin class (it was tough, but my hr monitor broke and my replacement is in the mail so no technical measurements)

I followed the spin class immediately with the following run:

1.5 miles @ 8:27

2.0 miles @ 8:49

1.0 miles @ 8:49

.5 mile @ 8:27

.15 mile walking break to drink powerade zero fruit punch (that stuff is so good, if it wasn't so expensive it's all I would drink) between each set

Hope everyone has a great day- training and in general

2012-01-17 10:03 AM
in reply to: #3994333

User image

Dupont, Washington
shellback1998 - 2012-01-17 4:51 AM

padarinsmith - 2012-01-16 9:10 PM I would like to join the group I would like to join your group. My info is a follows: Name: Darin Smith Story: I am 35 yo physician assistant. Have never done a tri before. Was interested a few years back when I first found this site but was concerned about my lack of love for running and eventually lost interest. Over the last year I started running with a friend and recently ran a HM with him. That coupled with the needed swim training for me to complete my PADI Divemaster course I wondered back over to BT. Now I have the bug again and I am far from scared of the run. Running is now a passion and the swim has me concerned. Family Status: Married with 1 Current Training: Running every other day about 5 miles or more up to 8 miles, no other training yet except for my nasty swim effort today. Planned 2012 Races: Still looking

Welcome aboard Darin. Well the swim shouldn't scare you as I am sure you'd be great at it. I also scuba dive, so if you can do that then you can do anything...  You haven't said anything about biking? Biking is a double ended sword and will help with your aerobic capacity as well. If you have the time, I'd suggest getting some time in the saddle as well. Where are you from?

I am from Arizona, now living in Washington State. For biking, I like to ride my bike (mountain bike with slicks) but couldn't really say that I bike, Yet. Working on setting it up and getting going with that. Woke up to 3 in of snow this morning so it may be another week before we clear up enough for me to start riding again.
2012-01-17 10:04 AM
in reply to: #3994769

User image

Expert
KC7 - 2012-01-17 10:46 AM

Here goes:

Name: KC

Story: (I'll be brief but hit the important data points)  Female, just turned 40 in December.

1. Grew up active and in decent enough shape. Diagnosed with cancer in college. Beat Hodgkins lymphoma.

2. Got married (he turned out to have male borderline personality disorder = verbally/mentally/emotionally abusive) important data point in that it a. contributed to a pretty severe weight gain where I used food to soothe myself and b. came close to destroying my confidence and significant panic/anxiety attacks. Whereas some struggle just to run that mile physically and/or mentally I am also struggling to reprogram my mind away from what the 12 years of darkness did to me so I have learned to cry while I run/swim/bike and do it quite often (exercise is my therapy). 

3. Three years ago due to a complication from the cancer treatments in college, I had a heart attack, open heart surgery and a double bypass to go around the parts of my heart where the scar tissue had built up from the radiation treatments.  So add in that I have some anxiety issues around my heart beating fast lol

4. After my "escape" from the marriage I made a conscious decision to fix my body and mind. Hired a personal trainer (my new best friend) and he has taken me from a woman frightened to run...a woman who simply running 30 seconds left  her in tears and shaking...to a woman who completed five 5k races last year and as her xmas gift for her trainer presented him with the paid registration for her to do her first triathlon (sprint distance).

Family Status: Divorced. One biological daughter (age 7) who loves to run also and completed three 5ks on her own last year (best time 31:08) and managed a 7 minute mile in another race.

Current Training:I currently lift with my trainer on Mondays (he also does some cardio intervals with me). My current training plan is that I do the C210K app on Tues and Thurs nights. I take Weds off for rest. Fridays (I like to call them Tri Days) I hit the pool and swim then go straight to spin class where I average about 20 miles per session (it's winter so inside). Saturday mornings I run 5k.  I was ALSO doing P90x also in the mornings but just coming off a xmas back injury so easing back in and will add that back in the next month or so.  At some point this summer I want to add the 5k run after my swim and bike Friday night so I can essentially put the pieces together.

Swimming confidence - not too worried. Did 300 meters in 13:46 and can probably get faster (that was the first time in the pool since last summer and I didn't even put my face in or wear goggles).

Running confidence - I am not fast. But I can finish. I have got my 5k time in under an hour and I would be happy with anything under an hour. I will continue to run and trainer is starting me rowing for more endurance.

Biking? - This one has me nervous. Not so much about the physical part of it but the equipment. I rely on my body to swim and run but bike has things that break and tires that go flat and the last few rides I have had equipment failures that have really got me down and scared about that part. I need to build that confidence. Currently riding a Cannondale CAD3 mountain bike. I need to get new tires in the spring so it rides better and I guess I need to ride a lot and break down a lot so I get over the fear of that part.

2011 Races: Five local 5k races and a one mile "fun run" as I wanted to see what I could do a mile in. I made it in 13 and change. But I can't keep that pace in a longer race. Yet.

Planned 2012 Races:  A few 5ks with my daughter and I signed up for a sprint distance Triathlon in September.  (300 meter swim, 11 mile bike, 5k run)

Weightloss: I have a lot of weight to loose but I am just focusing on eating right and exercise and not eyeballing the scale. I have gone down ten pants sizes and about 12 shirt/top sizes in the last two years so I measure my progress by how big my clothes are getting versus the number on the scale.

I hope that's enough to introduce myself. Super nervous but also excited. If I do this...I think I will really start to feel like I have turned a huge page in my life and taken it back from someone who spent 12 years telling me I wasn't good enough, was worthless, and all sorts of other things not nice to say in mixed company. So this is a very personal thing for me...not just physical.

I look forward to working with y'all.

Nice Bio... On your biking, the only way you'll get your legs up there is Time in the Saddle , so I'm not refering it that way. 

Biking is a double ended sword and will help your aerobically and will help with the run as well. Don't be fooled by the 20 miles at spin class... Those bikes aren't normally revolutions per min, but it will not equate to miles in the outdoors. Maybe I'm wrong, but you can average 20 MPH the whole 60 mins? Just something to keep in mind... Spin class is good... Sorry to hear about all the problems you've had in the past and all the surgery's.

Congrats on beating cancer, I can't even imagine what you've been through but I do know one thing is that you're a fighter. Sorry to hear about the heart attack, are you training with a hear rate monitor? If so, what are your zones...

We'll get you there for that sprint Race... When is it? Do you possible think you could do one before that? September is a long way. I am sure we could get you up to speed before June or July. Are you following a training plan? Continue losing the weight, remember 3500 calories is one pound...

Looking forward in hearing from you. Please feel free to ask any questions that you will have. Now, I'll hold you accountable to make sure your filling out your logs

2012-01-17 10:21 AM
in reply to: #3994823

Nice Bio... On your biking, the only way you'll get your legs up there is Time in the Saddle , so I'm not refering it that way. 

Biking is a double ended sword and will help your aerobically and will help with the run as well. Don't be fooled by the 20 miles at spin class... Those bikes aren't normally revolutions per min, but it will not equate to miles in the outdoors. Maybe I'm wrong, but you can average 20 MPH the whole 60 mins? Just something to keep in mind... Spin class is good... Sorry to hear about all the problems you've had in the past and all the surgery's.

Congrats on beating cancer, I can't even imagine what you've been through but I do know one thing is that you're a fighter. Sorry to hear about the heart attack, are you training with a hear rate monitor? If so, what are your zones...

We'll get you there for that sprint Race... When is it? Do you possible think you could do one before that? September is a long way. I am sure we could get you up to speed before June or July. Are you following a training plan? Continue losing the weight, remember 3500 calories is one pound...

Looking forward in hearing from you. Please feel free to ask any questions that you will have. Now, I'll hold you accountable to make sure your filling out your logs

1. I know spin is different from out in real life but until Spring it's about all I have that I can work in my schedule (single mom blah blah blah). But, you are correct.

2. No heart rate monitor. My heart attack was directly related to the cancer issue. I should probably get one but it's just more cash at this point (he does not pay child support...I am okay financially but at this point I see a HRM as another gadget I probably don't need to spend money on at this stage...maybe later when I do more or am a 'real' athlete)

3. Do a sprint BEFORE that? LOL Oh dear lord, we will be lucky if I do the one in September! (Sorry...have to pause to laugh and cry). To give you perspective: April 2010 my trainer made me run 30 seconds on the treadmill. It was the single most terrifying thing I had ever done. I cried afterwards. Slooooooooooooooowly I am to the point where running for 3 to 7 minutes does not result in a complete panic attack or hyperventilation. The thought of a tri in September is enough to make me get tears in my eyes some days but BEFORE?  Sorry. Baby steps. Let's get me to the point where I can simply finish and can have almost nine months to prepare.

4. Logs? Okay. Let me look for those...not sure where or how to do that.

Thanks

2012-01-17 10:24 AM
in reply to: #3994692

User image

Expert

shellback1998 - 2012-01-17 10:12 AM

Yeah, I'll be running at lunch, Followed by an hour and half on the trainer doing 8 Tabita intervals which suck.... 

Whoa, slow down......you'll never accomplish that.

What format are you following for Tabita intervals?

2012-01-17 10:24 AM
in reply to: #3994885

User image

Expert
everlong - 2012-01-17 11:24 AM

shellback1998 - 2012-01-17 10:12 AM

Whoa, slow down......you'll never accomplish that.

What format are you following for Tabita intervals?

20 seconds all out, :10 rest

2012-01-17 10:30 AM
in reply to: #3994875

User image

Expert
KC7 - 2012-01-17 11:21 AM

1. I know spin is different from out in real life but until Spring it's about all I have that I can work in my schedule (single mom blah blah blah). But, you are correct.

2. No heart rate monitor. My heart attack was directly related to the cancer issue. I should probably get one but it's just more cash at this point (he does not pay child support...I am okay financially but at this point I see a HRM as another gadget I probably don't need to spend money on at this stage...maybe later when I do more or am a 'real' athlete)

3. Do a sprint BEFORE that? LOL Oh dear lord, we will be lucky if I do the one in September! (Sorry...have to pause to laugh and cry). To give you perspective: April 2010 my trainer made me run 30 seconds on the treadmill. It was the single most terrifying thing I had ever done. I cried afterwards. Slooooooooooooooowly I am to the point where running for 3 to 7 minutes does not result in a complete panic attack or hyperventilation. The thought of a tri in September is enough to make me get tears in my eyes some days but BEFORE?  Sorry. Baby steps. Let's get me to the point where I can simply finish and can have almost nine months to prepare.

4. Logs? Okay. Let me look for those...not sure where or how to do that.

Thanks

Ok, personally... I would get the Heart Rate Monitor before rather than later. It can tell you if you're over training and blah blah blah. Also, you can work out more efficiently and for the best... If you stay in aerobic zones you actually burn more fat. Just a food for thought

2012-01-17 10:32 AM
in reply to: #3994889

User image

Expert
shellback1998 - 2012-01-17 11:24 AM

5 minute warm up and then how long on the intervals? 10 minutes? My base on the bike is really good but my top end power definitely is not. On a rolling course I'm pretty good. Throw in a couple of monster hills and I'm in trouble. It's not the long hills that get me. It's the steep ones so I would give these a go if you've seen improvement.

2012-01-17 10:36 AM
in reply to: #3994917

User image

Expert
everlong - 2012-01-17 11:32 AM

5 minute warm up and then how long on the intervals? 10 minutes? My base on the bike is really good but my top end power definitely is not. On a rolling course I'm pretty good. Throw in a couple of monster hills and I'm in trouble. It's not the long hills that get me. It's the steep ones so I would give these a go if you've seen improvement.

Bike
All Out
Duration: 01:20:00
Distance: 0
Tabata Intervals
Warmup: 
20 min @ ZR 

Main Set: 
8 X (20 seconds all out at 85-95 rpm, 10 seconds total rest

Cooldown: 

These will help increase your anaerobic threshold, that's about it... Hills, we'll conquer when I move to that new office.. Blue Hills will be our friend

2012-01-17 10:36 AM
in reply to: #3994911

I honestly do not understand how to use the HRM or how it's going to make my training better.

(Not being obnoxious...I just really don't see the value or how it will help).

Let me ask my trainer if he can get down in the weeds with me on this and explain how it will help me and what I can do with it to improve what I am already doing.

I feel silly using stuff like that or buying it because it seems like pro gear for pro folks. Of course, maybe I am just being silly thinking that. Who knows?

2012-01-17 10:42 AM
in reply to: #3994929

User image

Expert
shellback1998 - 2012-01-17 11:36 AM

Bike
All Out
Tabata Intervals
Warmup: 
20 min @ ZR 

Main Set: 

Cooldown: 

These will help increase your anaerobic threshold, that's about it... Hills, we'll conquer when I move to that new office.. Blue Hills will be our friend

Sounds good on Bue hills....you can pay me back for the pool.

So you're doing 20 minutes at recovery effort and then a main set of 8 which with rest takes 4 minutes. Are you repeating the main set of just cooling down in the recovery zone?

2012-01-17 10:42 AM
in reply to: #3994930

User image

Expert
KC7 - 2012-01-17 11:36 AM

I honestly do not understand how to use the HRM or how it's going to make my training better.

(Not being obnoxious...I just really don't see the value or how it will help).

Let me ask my trainer if he can get down in the weeds with me on this and explain how it will help me and what I can do with it to improve what I am already doing.

I feel silly using stuff like that or buying it because it seems like pro gear for pro folks. Of course, maybe I am just being silly thinking that. Who knows?

Well you know that the Heart is an organ. There is a maximum HR and there is a resting HR. When you move, it beats faster and when you're at rest it beats slower. Well, there are specific training zones where you should spend 90% of your time in. Those are aerobic zones where your HR should never go over a specific beat. Now my z1 HR is from 141-153... Let me find that article... Read this article

http://beginnertriathlete.com/cms/article-detail.asp?articleid=53

2012-01-17 10:44 AM
in reply to: #3994943

User image

Expert
everlong - 2012-01-17 11:42 AM
shellback1998 - 2012-01-17 11:36 AM

Bike
All Out
Tabata Intervals
Warmup: 
20 min @ ZR 

Main Set: 

Cooldown: 

Sounds good on Bue hills....you can pay me back for the pool.

So you're doing 20 minutes at recovery effort and then a main set of 8 which with rest takes 4 minutes. Are you repeating the main set of just cooling down in the recovery zone?

Nope you do the main set once... Trust me, watch your power output from the first to the last... Its tough... You'll be glad that they are over..

2012-01-17 12:54 PM

Still taking on newbies?

2012-01-17 1:19 PM
in reply to: #3995279

User image

Expert

DropSquad - 2012-01-17 1:54 PM Still taking on newbies?

Welcome aboard... Tell me more about yourself

2012-01-17 2:24 PM

To steal your format

Name: DropSquad (Marius)

Story: never been into endurance sports.  Wrestled, Played Football early on, then Lacrosse, then Rugby in college, then just pretty much did strength training.

Last year decided I'm going to run the Chicago marathon on a whim.  After a nice 13 mile run a few months into training, I now have self diagnosed hip bursaitis which is getting better through swimming and some massage therapy.  Not surprising that i got side lined seeing as how before training for the marathon I had not run so much as a 5K in my life.

NOW, I signed up for the chicago olympic tri aug 2012.  I know I can run a half marathon, I've biked a century but I've never swam.  I started swimming 3 weeks ago.  I'm up to 1000m freestyle in a pool without stopping.  I've kept up with weight training as well.

Currently 6'3" 192 with probably around 12% body fat.  The only thing I'm wondering is if i'll gain or lose weight throughout training, seeing as how I'm right on the edge of entering clydesdale territory.

Family Status: Single, never been married and has no kids.

Current Training: Swimming (Still learning to swim.  My goal is to first be able to swim a mile.  Then i'll start doing intervals to increase my speed.)  I swim every other day.  Weight Training. A. Overhead press, dead lifts, add a supplemental lift that i feel could help a weak compound lift. B. Squad, Pendlay Rows, Bench.  Alternate A and B between swim days.  Occasional bikram yoga session.

2011 Races: Turkey Trot just to test my hip after my marathon fail.  Finished the 5K in 26:07 wearing my vibrams.

Planned 2012 Races:  Naperville Illinois Sprint Tri, Chicago Illinois Olympic Tri

Known Fault(s):  I try to do too much too soon.  Hence my getting injured during the marathon training.  Everyone told me to just finish for my first one, I was so hell bent on getting under a 4 hour marathon time that I ended up not even getting to the start line.  Also happens when I strength train.  It seems almost every year I start super strong, get to fall and am feeling great.  Then I pull something which side lines me for a few months.  My first Tri, i'm going to do everything I can do just go nice and easy and finish.  I can work on PRs after I have at least 1 "R" to go off of

Edited by DropSquad 2012-01-17 2:28 PM
2012-01-17 2:48 PM

User image

Dupont, Washington
I performed simalarly earlier this month when I went from a 8 mile longest ever run to a 13.1 trail run with a buddy who was doing a marathon distance every other weekend. Put me under for 2 weeks and I am just now recovering. It is hard to slow yourself down to the 10% a week increase when you start feeling good.
2012-01-17 3:10 PM
in reply to: #3995639

User image

Expert

padarinsmith - 2012-01-17 3:48 PM 

It is hard to slow yourself down to the 10% a week increase when you start feeling good.

It's hard to slow yourself down to 10% for a week. You put 10% every week over the course of a couple of months and it gets really easy to limit yourself.

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Shellback1998 2012 Group FULL Rss Feed  

of 23