BT Development Mentor Program Archives » kaburns1214 Mentor Group 2013 (Year 3!) - CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 122

2012-12-24 11:56 AM
in reply to: #4546862

User image

Extreme Veteran
Subject: RE: kaburns1214 Mentor Group 2013 (Year 3!) - CLOSED

kidtri33 - 2012-12-24 12:52 PM
jarvy01 - 2012-12-24 12:49 PMThe long run is my favorite workout of all, but the longer it gets, the more I feel like I'm dangling on the edge of injury.  I'm sure that is some sort of durability issue (or form issue).  Second favorite is long bike.  I just love the long fat burning workouts.  Speed stuff.....yuck.
I say bring on the speed workouts! Must be my sports background. Nothing like feeling like you are about to throw up haha! I am finding the long stuff harder during the winter. I have added about 5 movies and some shows to the iPad until I can get a TV in the basement.

Yeah, my sports background is in swimming, so I'm used to long, tedious sessions where you have only your mind to keep you company (I played basketball and volleyball too, but I didn't have to run 4 x 1 miles all out around a track for those...haha)  

2012-12-24 12:01 PM
in reply to: #4542521

This morning, I did a 45 minute run at z1. I felt pretty strong. This weekend I have a run test (3x20 minute intervals) and next week I am running in a 5k. I did this same 5k last year and am hoping for improved results.

After a 4x1 mile run test this past weekend, I learned that there are lots of z1 runs in store for me, as I really need to build my run endurance.

I hope everyone has a great day!
2012-12-24 12:31 PM

User image

Master
Johns Creek, Georgia
I'm with Jen, I prefer the long slower workouts. Intervals hurt too much, and I HATE doing them. What I really like about the long bike rides while training for IM, is how they slim up my butt & thighs. Right now having not biked much since July, I feel really chunky. Looking forward to getting back on the bike.
2012-12-24 12:42 PM
in reply to: #4546750

User image

Master
Johns Creek, Georgia
kaburns1214 - 2012-12-24 10:31 AM
karen26.2 - 2012-12-24 10:20 AM
kaburns1214 - 2012-12-24 10:03 AM

2. how to not kill your legs for the run.

2. This one is tougher.  Running well off of the bike requires good bike fitness and the willingness to bike smart.  Lots of us like to go out and hammer the bike for all its worth and then we can't run.  I ride with a watts and HR cap depending on the length of the race.  Essentially by controlling the bike, you're able to get off and run to the best of your ability.  The phrase is "bike for show, run for dough."

What are some signs that you may be cooking yourself on the bike? I go by HR, and all 3 of my IM bikes have been what I consider a good avg HR, maybe even a bit too easy of an effort, yet I never have a great run. So, either I cooked myself without knowing/feeling it, or I didn't have the run endurance. I'm leaning towards I overdid the bike and maybe just need to slow down???

Probably a combination of over biking coupled with a need for more run durability.  Its easy to over bike, especially on an IM. For an IM HR should be below aerobic threshold. 

There's a really good test to help determine if the issue is a bike issue or a run issue -- A 3 x 20 minute or 3 x 30 minute run test (warm up easy for 10 minutes and run 3 x 20 minutes or 3 x 30 minutes are best sustainable effort with 3 - 5 minutes super easy between intervals on a flat course).  If your pace for all three intervals has very little drop off -- e.g. you run 9:25 pace, 9:31 pace, 9:33 pace for the the three intervals -- then you have good durability and the issue is likely one of over biking.  If the pace drops off dramatically -- e.g. 9:25, 9:48, 10:01 -- then its a run endurance / durability issue and you need to work on that. 

Karen, with your ultra, I would guess that run durability is not an issue right now. 

I don't think it's durability either. Not just now, but also when I did IM's. So I'm trying to figure out why I feel like crap when I start the run. Not always, but Vineman certainly. My avg HR biking was 134 (which is low Z1 on your scale Kelly), so not a hard effort by any means. My max HR for the bike was 166 (which is Z3), I'm sure it was on Chalk Hill which we did twice. Can you overdo the bike in a couple of short hard efforts, such as hills? I didn't "attack" the hill, but it did require a harder effort to get to the top, but I wouldn't think two short hills would ruin my legs for the run. All I know is from the very beginning of the run I just had nothing in my legs. Was it just a bad day? Not bike related? Or did I make a mistake somewhere on the bike that I can learn from for Tahoe? (Of course, Tahoe will be a whole different challenge with the long climb done twice, and elevation.)

2012-12-24 1:04 PM
in reply to: #4546919

User image

Pro
Nutmeg State
karen26.2 - 2012-12-24 1:42 PM
kaburns1214 - 2012-12-24 10:31 AM
karen26.2 - 2012-12-24 10:20 AM
kaburns1214 - 2012-12-24 10:03 AM

2. how to not kill your legs for the run.

2. This one is tougher.  Running well off of the bike requires good bike fitness and the willingness to bike smart.  Lots of us like to go out and hammer the bike for all its worth and then we can't run.  I ride with a watts and HR cap depending on the length of the race.  Essentially by controlling the bike, you're able to get off and run to the best of your ability.  The phrase is "bike for show, run for dough."

What are some signs that you may be cooking yourself on the bike? I go by HR, and all 3 of my IM bikes have been what I consider a good avg HR, maybe even a bit too easy of an effort, yet I never have a great run. So, either I cooked myself without knowing/feeling it, or I didn't have the run endurance. I'm leaning towards I overdid the bike and maybe just need to slow down???

Probably a combination of over biking coupled with a need for more run durability.  Its easy to over bike, especially on an IM. For an IM HR should be below aerobic threshold. 

There's a really good test to help determine if the issue is a bike issue or a run issue -- A 3 x 20 minute or 3 x 30 minute run test (warm up easy for 10 minutes and run 3 x 20 minutes or 3 x 30 minutes are best sustainable effort with 3 - 5 minutes super easy between intervals on a flat course).  If your pace for all three intervals has very little drop off -- e.g. you run 9:25 pace, 9:31 pace, 9:33 pace for the the three intervals -- then you have good durability and the issue is likely one of over biking.  If the pace drops off dramatically -- e.g. 9:25, 9:48, 10:01 -- then its a run endurance / durability issue and you need to work on that. 

Karen, with your ultra, I would guess that run durability is not an issue right now. 

I don't think it's durability either. Not just now, but also when I did IM's. So I'm trying to figure out why I feel like crap when I start the run. Not always, but Vineman certainly. My avg HR biking was 134 (which is low Z1 on your scale Kelly), so not a hard effort by any means. My max HR for the bike was 166 (which is Z3), I'm sure it was on Chalk Hill which we did twice. Can you overdo the bike in a couple of short hard efforts, such as hills? I didn't "attack" the hill, but it did require a harder effort to get to the top, but I wouldn't think two short hills would ruin my legs for the run. All I know is from the very beginning of the run I just had nothing in my legs. Was it just a bad day? Not bike related? Or did I make a mistake somewhere on the bike that I can learn from for Tahoe? (Of course, Tahoe will be a whole different challenge with the long climb done twice, and elevation.)

With you and Vineman, I think the issue was the massive amount of stress you were under pre-race. 

A few short really hard efforts can "burn too many matches" but I think you burned quite a dew matches before the race started based on the rough couple of weeks you had pre-race.  The beautiful thing about racing is that there is always another race around the corner.

2012-12-24 1:05 PM
in reply to: #4546901

User image

Pro
Nutmeg State

karen26.2 - 2012-12-24 1:31 PM I'm with Jen, I prefer the long slower workouts. Intervals hurt too much, and I HATE doing them. What I really like about the long bike rides while training for IM, is how they slim up my butt & thighs. Right now having not biked much since July, I feel really chunky. Looking forward to getting back on the bike.

Usually we hate the things we need the most.

2012-12-24 1:12 PM
in reply to: #4546940

User image

Extreme Veteran
Bristow
kaburns1214 - 2012-12-24 2:05 PM

karen26.2 - 2012-12-24 1:31 PM I'm with Jen, I prefer the long slower workouts. Intervals hurt too much, and I HATE doing them. What I really like about the long bike rides while training for IM, is how they slim up my butt & thighs. Right now having not biked much since July, I feel really chunky. Looking forward to getting back on the bike.

Like those long tedious workouts
2012-12-24 1:18 PM

User image

Expert
I love speed workouts and I love the long stuff. It's the middle of the road workouts that I have trouble with. I tend to get bored and want to go faster knowing I don't have to save myself for the distance workout. All mental.
2012-12-24 1:34 PM

User image

New user

Chicago

Wow, I'm falling behind! I still owe you guys a bio. I'm visiting family this weekend, so it's hard to find time to get to a computer. 

Name: Courtney

Story: Last year was my first season. I've been into running for several years and was interested in trying triathlons but was intimidated to do one on my own. A friend of mine who lives in Dallas is really into tris and invited me down to do one with her -- at first she wanted me to do a HIM with her, but that seemed a bit much for my first tri. So we did an Olympic together instead, and I used a bunch of borrowed gear for the race. It was a bunch of firsts for me: first time on a road bike, first time open water swimming, first time in a wetsuit, etc. I had no idea what I was doing and there were a lot of confusing moments, but I had so much fun and have been hooked ever since. 

I did two more sprints last season on my own, basically just making things up as I went. Then a month or so ago, I found this site and have been reading through the forums, and wishing I had known about this site at the beginning of last year! I'm really excited about this mentor group and getting more serious and into the details of training and racing.

Family Status: single

Current Training: At this point, I guess I'm just building a base. I had a knee injury at the end of last season, so I've been trying to focus more on biking and swimming. I just got a new trainer that I'm looking forward to trying out as soon as I get back home! 

2012 Races: Texasman Olympic, Naperville Sprint, Tri the Creek Sprint

2013 Races: Chicago Triathlon... and the rest TBD -- sprint and Olympic distance this season, and then next year or the following, I'd like to try a HIM. 

Weightloss: I have a few extra pounds to lose. I was careful about what I ate when I was training last season, and I lost about 15 pounds. So I'm hoping to do that again this season and get down to my goal weight. 

And I guess that's it. I can't wait to get started! Thanks for having me in the group!

2012-12-24 1:40 PM
in reply to: #4546982

User image

Pro
Nutmeg State
kort-kort - 2012-12-24 2:34 PM

Wow, I'm falling behind! I still owe you guys a bio. I'm visiting family this weekend, so it's hard to find time to get to a computer. 

Name: Courtney

Story: Last year was my first season. I've been into running for several years and was interested in trying triathlons but was intimidated to do one on my own. A friend of mine who lives in Dallas is really into tris and invited me down to do one with her -- at first she wanted me to do a HIM with her, but that seemed a bit much for my first tri. So we did an Olympic together instead, and I used a bunch of borrowed gear for the race. It was a bunch of firsts for me: first time on a road bike, first time open water swimming, first time in a wetsuit, etc. I had no idea what I was doing and there were a lot of confusing moments, but I had so much fun and have been hooked ever since. 

I did two more sprints last season on my own, basically just making things up as I went. Then a month or so ago, I found this site and have been reading through the forums, and wishing I had known about this site at the beginning of last year! I'm really excited about this mentor group and getting more serious and into the details of training and racing.

Family Status: single

Current Training: At this point, I guess I'm just building a base. I had a knee injury at the end of last season, so I've been trying to focus more on biking and swimming. I just got a new trainer that I'm looking forward to trying out as soon as I get back home! 

2012 Races: Texasman Olympic, Naperville Sprint, Tri the Creek Sprint

2013 Races: Chicago Triathlon... and the rest TBD -- sprint and Olympic distance this season, and then next year or the following, I'd like to try a HIM. 

Weightloss: I have a few extra pounds to lose. I was careful about what I ate when I was training last season, and I lost about 15 pounds. So I'm hoping to do that again this season and get down to my goal weight. 

And I guess that's it. I can't wait to get started! Thanks for having me in the group!

Don't worry about falling behind.  We'll be here!

2012-12-24 2:32 PM
in reply to: #4546940

User image

Master
Johns Creek, Georgia

I pretty much walked right into that one huh?

2012-12-24 3:29 PM
in reply to: #4547031

User image

Pro
Nutmeg State
karen26.2 - 2012-12-24 3:32 PM

I pretty much walked right into that one huh?

Oh yeah.

2012-12-24 4:22 PM
in reply to: #4546794

User image

Regular
kidtri33 - 2012-12-24 11:17 AM
Kuma - 2012-12-24 10:43 AM

clgswisher - 2012-12-24 9:00 AM I have added all of you to my training log so you can help keep me honest.  My official plan starts 12-30-12.  I will do my best to upload my workouts daily as well as my nutrition.  Feel free to comment, all encouragement or critiques are welcome.

How do you do this?  I'd like to do the same.

If you go over to the left side in your training log you should see Friends. There is a plus sign that you click on and then it will pull up where you can type in the usernames of us all and then click save. You can do a search as well for each name just in case you want to make sure. Some people block there logs until you add them to your friends list.

Ok.  Y'all are all listed on my training log now also.  Please feel free to have a look and let me know if you see anything really stupid I'm doing (or not doing).

2012-12-24 6:31 PM
in reply to: #4546716

User image

Extreme Veteran
Texas

Kelly, thank you for the advice.  I think because I was racing with a hybrid, I had to work harder to get the biking done.  Not that I didn't enjoy it.  I actually enjoyed the challenge of having to push harder, but it made my legs like rubber afterwards.  It took a good 1/2 mile to a mile before my legs would obey my command to run like they should.  So, if I am riding aerobically, an hour of riding at RPE 4-5 would be sufficient?  Or are we talking trainer work - something I don't have.

I took my new bike out for the first time today.  Did 15 miles.  Not too fast because I was trying to figure out how the shifting works since it is different from my hybrid.  And since it was my first time out, I didn't want to crash and burn.  The bike felt pretty good.  I had to laugh because as I was going up a steep hill, the bike came to a complete stop.  Obviously not in the right gears!  I'm suppose to do the shifting by feel and not sight (my hybrid is marked) so I am on a learning curve right now.  Now to find the time to get more riding in!
2012-12-24 6:32 PM
in reply to: #4545775

User image

Master
Elgin, IL
Subject: RE: kaburns1214 Mentor Group 2013 (Year 3!) - OPEN
Whew, thankfully you put me down .. Saw 6 pages already and was freaking! I will get a bio up soon
2012-12-25 1:39 AM
in reply to: #4547125

User image

Expert
Kuma - 2012-12-24 5:22 PM
kidtri33 - 2012-12-24 11:17 AM
Kuma - 2012-12-24 10:43 AM

clgswisher - 2012-12-24 9:00 AM I have added all of you to my training log so you can help keep me honest.  My official plan starts 12-30-12.  I will do my best to upload my workouts daily as well as my nutrition.  Feel free to comment, all encouragement or critiques are welcome.

How do you do this?  I'd like to do the same.

If you go over to the left side in your training log you should see Friends. There is a plus sign that you click on and then it will pull up where you can type in the usernames of us all and then click save. You can do a search as well for each name just in case you want to make sure. Some people block there logs until you add them to your friends list.

Ok.  Y'all are all listed on my training log now also.  Please feel free to have a look and let me know if you see anything really stupid I'm doing (or not doing).

Matt, no worries, this group will be honest. When I first started, I had posted here that I had a great workout one morning. An hour on the trainer in mid January, followed by speed intervals on the treadmill, as a brick workout. The response I got from one of our old pals, JSklarz, was WTF are you doing. Who does run intervals on a brick?? It was actually quite funny, after I figured out JSklarz was actually trying to help me out. I learned a ton in my first year here with this same group. Stick around, this is the best mentor group going.
Yeah, it's 2:37 am on Xmas morning. Had some last minute things to put together for the kids before they wake up. They are super excited. So, good night, or good morning I should say. Wishing everyone a happy and safe holiday.

2012-12-25 1:44 AM

User image

Expert
Oh, one other thing. Planet Fitness just opened up locally. Perfect timing as my other gym membership just expired at $40 month. Planet Fitness is $20, ($10 per month for basic) but I'm on road for work a lot so this allows me to use other locations. Today was first day there. I'm a little undecided on my thoughts. It's crowded, but hopefully going mid day on lunch breaks, won't be too bad. Also, if you love cardio, which we do, it has plenty of that. As for the weights etc, not so sure yet. Lots of "machines". And no pull up bar, other than the assisted one. Really? That's a staple in my circuits. I can crank out some pull-ups, so I'm a little disappointed.
Anyone else belong to PF? Thoughts? I don't have a local gym with a pool. If I did, I'd clearly pay the higher price.
2012-12-25 6:23 AM
in reply to: #4547379

User image

Veteran

I echo Jeff's statement - espescially because I believe, and I might be incorrect by this, I am the only one in this group who has not done a tri yet and this group is comprised of people who have some seriously impressive accomplishments. So, much thanks to Kelly who has already given this noob some important feedback. I appreciate the time that you (Kelly) have put into this group already (front loading the appreciation because I have more questions to come).

Jeff - I like your avitar. I also ride (not as much as I would like) and ride with a group up here in Maine. There are some awesome trails in ME, VT, and NH and people hit the trails almost all year round (big fat studded tires). I belonged to PF before I got my membership to the Y. You get what you pay for - can't beat the price, the hours are good. Lockers were kinda gross and I just avoided the peak hours.

Off for a 6 miler on this sort of cold, snowy, morning. Merry Christmas everyone.

2012-12-25 7:29 AM

User image

Pro
Nutmeg State

Merry Christmas everyone!

I have a bike with a few intervals this morning and then a run this afternoon (hopefully its not too icy).

2012-12-25 7:54 AM

User image

Master
Johns Creek, Georgia

That Jeff (JSklarz) sure did keep us honest! What's he up to Kelly? And Rudy?

I've never been in a Planet Fitness, I'm picky about my gym. I used to belong to the Y, but the one near me was always dirty, pool was always being used for water aerobics, and equipment was always broken. So I moved to Lifetime Fitness (which is expensive but actually was about the same as the Y - and they have towels!) and love it. I'd say if PF has most of what you want, and you can use it while traveling, then at $20 it's hard to beat. I pay $62/month for just me, $20 seems like a petty good deal.

And what's with the pull ups? I need the assisted machine! Maybe that will be a goal for 2013, be able to do 1 pull up unassisted.

2012-12-25 7:59 AM

User image

Owensboro, KY

Merry Christmas Everyone!!!!! Hope you have a safe and wonderful day.  We'll be headed out soon to go on a 9ish mile hike in this 32 degree weather, then back home for maybe a movie.  It's just me and my husband today.  What a special day it will be.

Look what he had made for me!!  Foot in mouth  I will wear this proudly!!!

2012-12-25 8:01 AM

User image

Master
Johns Creek, Georgia

Love the front loading appreciation comment Chris. Pretty funny.

Tom is sick, he's sure I brought home germs from my recent trip. I think he just has a weak immune system.

We are going to the movies today, and then on to a Chinese Bistro for dinner. It's tradition for the three of us. Tom and Andrew want to see the new Bond movie, so I guess that's what we'll see. Not much else out anyway.

Hoping to squeeze in a walk/shuffle sometime today.

Merry Christmas everyone!

2012-12-25 8:03 AM
in reply to: #4547452

User image

Master
Johns Creek, Georgia
fitbychoice - 2012-12-25 8:59 AM

Merry Christmas Everyone!!!!! Hope you have a safe and wonderful day.  We'll be headed out soon to go on a 9ish mile hike in this 32 degree weather, then back home for maybe a movie.  It's just me and my husband today.  What a special day it will be.

I like that! Very thoughtful. He done good! Enjoy your hike, sounds wonderful.

2012-12-25 8:04 AM
in reply to: #4547452

User image

Veteran
fitbychoice - 2012-12-25 7:59 AM

I love the shirt. Perhaps next year Ironman Muncie will be my A race. My last name is Muncie, so it would be cool to do.
2012-12-25 8:15 AM
in reply to: #4547380

User image

Pro
CyFair

rizer22 - 2012-12-25 1:44 AM Oh, one other thing. Planet Fitness just opened up locally. Perfect timing as my other gym membership just expired at $40 month. Planet Fitness is $20, ($10 per month for basic) but I'm on road for work a lot so this allows me to use other locations. Today was first day there. I'm a little undecided on my thoughts. It's crowded, but hopefully going mid day on lunch breaks, won't be too bad. Also, if you love cardio, which we do, it has plenty of that. As for the weights etc, not so sure yet. Lots of "machines". And no pull up bar, other than the assisted one. Really? That's a staple in my circuits. I can crank out some pull-ups, so I'm a little disappointed.
Anyone else belong to PF? Thoughts? I don't have a local gym with a pool. If I did, I'd clearly pay the higher price.

They should have everything you need for your rehab at least.  Do they have a smith machine?  Google rack chins and you should be able to sub it in for pullups.  If they had a pool I'd be ok with the place.  The mentality they market is a little offputting to me, but given my background that isn't too surprising.

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » kaburns1214 Mentor Group 2013 (Year 3!) - CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 122